Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Feb 18, 5:46 PM
Jul 2019
Reply to BlichoBoy
Maomao became the top palace investigator in the past year.

Maomao got a serious concussion and was steadily bleeding from a deep cut.

I wonder if Lakan's expression was more about the plan failing or almost killing Maomao.

After all this ordeal, I hope Jinshi will give Maomao a personal assistant/bodyguard.
@BlichoBoy You're misunderstanding Lakan's involvement, or lack thereof :)
Feb 18, 5:49 PM
Jul 2019
Reply to Teldrasil
Lakhan face for me is for discovering Jinshi is the

@Teldrasil He already knew, and has known for a long time. (Hints in the anime in earlier episodes, but pretty much obvious in the manga/light novels)

His face was more about realizing his suspicions about Jinshi's feelings for Maomao were absolutely correct :)
Feb 18, 6:00 PM
Jul 2019
Reply to Ace-1
Can someone who already read the manga\vn spoil me on why Lakan made that expression?
@Ace-1 - I've read both the manga and light novels. This is part of it at least:

WienGirlFeb 18, 6:04 PM
Feb 18, 6:48 PM

Apr 2015
Wow what an amazing episode, I actually teared up a bit when Maomao got hit and the music started playing. I know the guard was just doing his job so I don't bear any hate towards him, but I sure hope he apologizes to her. Maomao immediately asking for the ox bezoar after seeing Jinshi's face was hilarious, but so like her. Never change, Maomao. 
I had mixed feelings on the ship, but Jinshi looking so worried for Maomao and cupping her face got me lowkey squealing lol. Jinshi walking so leisurely while carrying Maomao without prioritizing bandaging her up or something made me annoyed, but it looks like the manga didn't have this so eh if anything the anime staff messed up on overly dramatizing the moment. Imo the episode would've been perfect if it showed him at least a little more desperate to stop the bleeding.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Feb 18, 7:07 PM
Sep 2016
i cant wait for everything to go down!!! so much is happening!
Feb 18, 7:19 PM

Feb 2023
HOLY SHIT!!!...HO-LEE- SHIIIT!!!! I'm literally sweating. Shit just got real...holy frick
Feb 18, 8:03 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to kernel99
Embient said:
I heard that the Go game transitioning to stones in the OP is a subtle spoiler, and now I finally understand it. It's so damn good.

I don't understand the meaning behind this, could you explain?
@kernel99 At 0:48 in the OP there is a scene like this, which shows Maomao's mom playing Go in the past and the present with stones:
Feb 18, 8:29 PM
Jul 2020
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Feb 18, 9:22 PM
Oct 2019
Oh my god that second half of the episode was pure Intense!!

Holy Shit!!
It's all connected 😱

The look on Lahkan face at the end...
So Jinshi was really a ....
Feb 18, 11:51 PM

May 2019
I had no idea that the previous episodes with the seemingly unconnected mysteries were actually connected, well done. While Maomao was able to figure out that the support structure for the ceremonial piece was weak at the last minute I'm not sure if she knows who is behind it other than the lady involved is Suirei but she could be a pawn too. I was thinking that Lakan was behind this but with him giving an assist to Maomao I'm not so sure, plus I wonder if his shocked face was more of what happened to Maomao or realizing Jinshi's rank.
Feb 19, 1:01 AM

Jan 2021
I may be too slow or dumb but why does Lakan look so surprised to see Jinshi with Maomao? Didn't he know that it was Jinshi who was in there? Or was it because he was surprised to see Maomao who was so eager to save Jinshi? But hm. HMMM. Who are those who've tried to kill Jinshi! I assume the people behind this know his true identity?

It was painful to see Maomao got beaten. I know for sure that it was very heavy and painful, and such a tool was smashed into Maomao?! Seeing her still conscious was great, but then she was still able to run to save whoever the nobles were inside. She really is an amazing girl. I hope Jinshi thoroughly investigates this case because he almost died too. I hope they receive the punishment they deserve!!!

Heh. It seems that next week we will meet Lady Laolan? I don't really like her attitude but looking forward to it~

Feb 19, 1:46 AM

Aug 2008
Did they not have tourniquets in ancient China? Maomao is going to bleed out before being slowly carried to wherever he's going.
Feb 19, 1:53 AM

Jul 2023
猫猫 surely got some beating, first by the guard, then the collapse.

Looks like Jishin's identity will finally be revealed.

Does Lakan have something to do with the assasination attempt?
Feb 19, 2:32 AM
Dec 2022
Didnt expect they made that moment very dramatic, emotional and desperate with the song

even they made Lakan face expression more shocked than the manga

cant wait for another climax point of this anime.. I can imagine it will be beautiful and sad, I might cry tbh
Feb 19, 4:53 AM
Jul 2016
Ahhh!! I felt so bad for Maomao, but finally FINALLY she'll be able to change her misbelief about Jinshi. And Lakan looked horrified at the end there. Can't wait to watch the next episode!

Edited: Changed Maomao's name, sorry. Misspelled it!
Feb 19, 4:54 AM
Jul 2016
Reply to gswelcome
Did they not have tourniquets in ancient China? Maomao is going to bleed out before being slowly carried to wherever he's going.
@gswelcome I was wondering about this too! Are we just going to let it bleed out or what Jinshi? haha
Feb 19, 6:55 AM

May 2017
!SPOILERS!

Finally! Jinshi's noble birth has been revealed! Although this was a long time coming this episode made the most out of the reveal.

It was really cool to see how the previous episodes' cases were all connected, leading up to the attempted assassinnation of Jinshi. It was nerve-wrecking seeing Maomao trying to reach the venue in time and her offering up her own body and safety + discarting the one value she has always tried to hold on to: not to let conjecture speak for her.
Also her birth father, Lakan, coming in clutch(?). That was unexpected. The face he made when he saw JInshi carrying an even more wounded and fainted Maomao out of the venue though... It seemed like he was truly shocked and unnerved by seeing his daughter in such a state. I'm really curious about his intentions and feelings towards Maomao.

Nevertheless, easily my favorite episode of the Apothecary Diaries. Truly marvelous storytelling!!

"No matter how much you regret or wish, if you couldn't do something in life...

you can't do it either after death"

~ Hanako-kun (Toilet-bound Hanako-kun)

Feb 19, 8:55 AM
Feb 2024
I did not feel time pass.
Despite the small flaws that upset me a little this episode was amazing
Feb 19, 9:22 AM

Sep 2008
most important scenes from this episode ❤

Feb 19, 10:34 AM
Aug 2019
Probably the best episode yet. The drama and tension in the episode was stunning. I can't wait to see where this series goes.
Feb 19, 11:02 AM

Mar 2020
Lakan is so far a very well written villain, this episode was done very well, Maomao not turning and looking back at him was a nice touch.
Feb 19, 12:25 PM

Jul 2014
Did not expect that direct hit to the face.. What an episode, definitelty the best one yet.
Feb 19, 1:01 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
she saved Jinshi in the last second!!!!
kekeke
Feb 19, 1:45 PM

Feb 2014
at least for me, this episode was even better than the manga!!!!

I can't believe I need to wait 1 week more for see another amazing episode!!!
Feb 19, 2:09 PM
Aug 2015
it was good soup :)
Feb 19, 3:14 PM
Sep 2021
What a rollercoaster.
Feb 19, 4:14 PM

Oct 2019
I get the feeling that Lakan isn't actually behind this complicated conspiration, but he most possibly knew about it or at least suspected it. Is it safe to assume that he cares about Maomao? Or am I just seeing the good in people? lol. He did seem quite worried. The last scene with Jinshi was great, super dramatic, he seems like he's going to enact absolute revenge for 1. the conspiration and more importantly 2. hurting Maomao. I absolutely love the way all the mysteries in this second cour had to do with this situation. Go go Maomao, don't die!! (she probably won't die but like, that was an important concussion right there).
Feb 19, 7:46 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to IzanaSolos
Riharu and Mao Mao's relationship is kinda like that of a big, beefy brother who's a bit of a gym rat and a younger sister who's sometimes moody. LOL.

The episode started off on such a high note, but then everything just went downhill fast. That guard is in for a world of trouble, and it seems like someone's going to make sure of it, whether it's the strategist father or Jinshi himself. And I can't shake this feeling that maybe the strategist had a hunch about all this and subtly tipped off Jinshi (and indirectly Maomao) to investigate. It's not like it's coming from a place of justice, though; it's more like the male lead set up the whole mess.

I can't help but blame him for putting her through such a rough time. A woman with her background and status is practically a magnet for trouble. Is he just completely clueless about the struggles of regular folks? It feels like he's playing with fire. If he were a woman, I think people would find him way more infuriating. I mean, come on, Jinshi basically did a total Kaneki move with Maomao at the end. Lmao. But by far, this episode truly is the best so far, whether it's because of the raw emotion, the soundtrack, or just everything coming together perfectly.

You just know something serious went down when they bust out an original song, and sure enough, it did.
@IzanaSolos who is "Riharu"? Lakan is a military official, not a "strategist."
IzanaSolos said:
A woman with her background and status is practically a magnet for trouble.
Would a person of status not be a magnet for trouble by being targeted because of their status like Jinshi?
IzanaSolos said:
Is he just completely clueless about the struggles of regular folks?
I don't understand why you ask that. Maomao has repeatedly told Jinshi that she is of low birth and will do whatever she is told. She told him about the danger of being dragged into an alley.
IzanaSolos said:
If he were a woman, I think people would find him way more infuriating. I mean, come on, Jinshi basically did a total Kaneki move with Maomao at the end.
I fail to see how the second sentence relates to the first.
"
Feb 19, 7:53 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to Marinate1016
Speechless. Best episode of the series by far. All the little seemingly disjointed episodes and case of the week stuff has been building up to this and it paid off wonderfully. We ate so good today.

Episode didn’t start off too different from other recent ones. Some nice Maomao banter, comedic moments and a new case. But at this point it’s become apparent these “random” incidents aren’t so random after all. Everything seems to circle back to ceremonies. Tools, people in charge of them, etc. Someone’s planning something. Good thing we got detective Maomao on the case 😂

I want someone to look at me like Maomao looks at Jinshi when he offers her Ox gallbladders for her experiments lmao. Even Jinshi was shocked by how much her personality changed in that moment. You offer her stuff like that and Maomao will turn into Sherlock Holmes’s real quick.

Ok but the second half of this episode is where stuff started entering WTF territory for me. First of all smart of Maomao to rush over to the temple to try and stop the ceremony before disaster struck. She unfortunately didn’t think thru the fact that she is a simple servant, albeit a highly respected one, but still unlikely that anyone would stop a ceremony because she says so.

I like how you see her kinda try several different methods to get the guard to let her in. Begging, appealing rationally and then of course baiting him into a reaction but did he seriously need to hit her with a weapon?? I’m glad I skipped the preview for this week episode because seeing Maomao’s face swollen and bloodied was wild.

Even wilder that Lakan was there the whole time and could’ve spoke up before his presumable daughter got struck like that.. but I can’t lie he did come in clutch at the end with helping her get into the ceremony and ultimately save Jinshi

Speaking of which, wtf! Why is Jinshi there? Again kinda already could tell because of all the hints and foreshadowing, but this basically confirms that he’s related to the emperor, likely his brother. Which was hinted at back in the first cour with the whole baby fiasco. Think Lakan reaction was all of our reaction in that moment, sheer utter disbelief.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen that look on Jinshi face either. He looked like he was about to cry when he saw Maomao face and leg.. the ending scene of him carrying her leaving a bloody path in their wake with that OST playing.. immaculate. I also liked the imagery of him carrying Maomao the opposite direction of Lakan.

I NEED THE NEXT EPISODE
@Marinate1016 Jinshi is the emperor's son, not his brother. Maomao said the Virtuous Concubine cared about her son so she had him swapped with the late empress's son, the emperor's younger brother, because he would get priority and that her father, Maomao's that is was likely removed as court physician for failing to notice the swap. Maomao also thought Jinshi looked similar to the Virtuous Concubine.
"
Feb 19, 7:58 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to 8oomer
2nd best episode so far (behind Ep. 4). Still, why didn't Jinshi get Maomao to a doctor (either call for an attendant to carry her to one or even carry her himself to one quickly)? Or at the very least do some first aid (like binding her leg to stop the bleeding)?

He doesn't seem to be the clueless kind who'd just 100% assume she'd died and just up and carry her away slowly. I mean, walking through all those bowing court officials made for a seriously cool and tender scene but only if AFTER he'd at least wrapped her leg with something to stop the bleeding.

Still 5/5 episode (and 2nd best so far) but the last bit doesn't make sense.
@8oomer what would he wrap her leg with? The anime is set in ancient China. In that time period and in his position he is not tearing his nice clothes.
"
Feb 19, 8:01 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to _Shara_
Wow... I'm currently watching season 2 of Fruits Basket and I almost shed a tear here and there, but this episode of The Apothecary Diaries had me totally sobbing by the end! I wonder if Maomao hates her blood father because she knows that he's passed syphilis on to her mother, but I didn't actually catch if she even knows that courtesan is her mother at all. Her selflessness and courage in standing up to that soldier to save a noble of the Royal House, despite the risk of getting into trouble, and possibly even being beheaded or beaten to a pulp, until her blood father stepped in and Maomao was able to sprint into the temple just in time to save Jinshi at the last minute, only to get even more badly injured... And seeing Jinshi carrying her in his arms, while even her father was left speechless and shocked, with her unconscious and bleeding, and Jinshi, whose sadness and concern was written all over his face... not to mention that beautiful insert song during the scene... I just couldn't stop the tears from flowing! 😭😭😭 What a truly beautiful episode this was!! This anime has already earned a 10/10 in my heart, but by my own rule, I will have to wait until the end of the season first. 🥲

@_Shara_ I don't think that courtesan is her mother nor do I think Lakan passed syphilis on to her because that would mean Lakan has syphilis which he clearly doesn't. He would have had it longer than the person he passed it onto so how does he not show symptoms? Would that be before or after Maomao's birth? If before then Maomao would have syphilis too.
"
Feb 19, 8:03 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to Nel999
For the people who think Lakan is suspicious,
@Nel999 'For the people who think Laka is suspicious, let me spoil it'. What even is the point of this post?
"
Feb 19, 8:03 PM

Feb 2019
Weeb_Isekai said:
@Marinate1016 Jinshi is the emperor's son, not his brother. Maomao said the Virtuous Concubine cared about her son so she had him swapped with the late empress's son, the emperor's younger brother, because he would get priority and that her father, Maomao's that is was likely removed as court physician for failing to notice the swap. Maomao also thought Jinshi looked similar to the Virtuous Concubine.

Bro don’t spoil.
Feb 19, 8:05 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to Marinate1016
Weeb_Isekai said:

Bro don’t spoil.
@Marinate1016 it's not a spoiler. It can be pieced together from what has been shown. I am an anime only. I have not read the manga.
"
Feb 19, 8:06 PM

Feb 2019
Weeb_Isekai said:
@Marinate1016 it's not a spoiler. It can be pieced together from what has already been shown. I am an anime only. I have not read the manga.

It’s a LN, but just chill out.
Feb 19, 8:26 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Weeb_Isekai
@IzanaSolos who is "Riharu"? Lakan is a military official, not a "strategist."
IzanaSolos said:
A woman with her background and status is practically a magnet for trouble.
Would a person of status not be a magnet for trouble by being targeted because of their status like Jinshi?
IzanaSolos said:
Is he just completely clueless about the struggles of regular folks?
I don't understand why you ask that. Maomao has repeatedly told Jinshi that she is of low birth and will do whatever she is told. She told him about the danger of being dragged into an alley.
IzanaSolos said:
If he were a woman, I think people would find him way more infuriating. I mean, come on, Jinshi basically did a total Kaneki move with Maomao at the end.
I fail to see how the second sentence relates to the first.
@Weeb_Isekai Riharu/Rihaku is Lihaku‘s name in romanji. On the website I watched this on they were calling him that so what’s your problem with it. Also the thing about Lakan, has that even been like officially revealed in the anime yet? I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s a spoiler.

I see your point about Jinshi, but for this woman, trouble seems to find her no matter what. It's like she has a knack for it

I’ll take the fault for this one. Maomao's been trying to show Jinshi the reality of life for regular folks, but it seems like he's just not getting it huh.

Damn I ain’t know I was in grammar class now. Chill out sensei this is MAL who cares if it doesn't correlate. I’m just trying to share my opinion.

Feb 19, 8:46 PM
May 2019
incredible episode to tie together the past few seemingly unrelated incidents
Feb 20, 1:43 AM
Jun 2020
For the first time mao mao add direct consequences to her actions. This episode is really fast passed and ties together the plot of a lot of previous episodes
Feb 20, 5:24 AM
Aug 2021
OMG this anime just keeps getting more HYPE! The way this episode builds up the tension was second to none. Honestly, kinda guess that Jinshi's the one performing the ceremony, but that b*tch slap Maomao take was so brutal it hurts my heart. Dude will be beheaded for sure.
I think it's now official based on the clues that Jinshi is the emperor's brother (aka. actual son). The way this show drops random cases, only to connect it together is next nevel though.
Feb 20, 11:24 AM
Oct 2021
This episode is most interesting to me. I don't know bt I feel soo sad when maomao go to save jinshi.. and the song makes it more good.
Feb 20, 11:43 AM

Apr 2016
Emperors brother, Prince Jinshi and higher officials daughter Maomao

Feb 20, 12:46 PM

Jul 2013
All I can say is, the guard is royally fucked lmao. He's probably sitting there counting his remaining breath after seeing Jinshi carrying her out and Lakan's reaction.
Feb 20, 2:17 PM
Oct 2020
Such a cool payoff. I was completely fine with all cases before being separate plots, but them being part of a bigger picture is so satisfying.
And Maomao is definitely one of the most compelling protagonists
Feb 20, 2:31 PM

Aug 2022
Reply to Weeb_Isekai
@_Shara_ I don't think that courtesan is her mother nor do I think Lakan passed syphilis on to her because that would mean Lakan has syphilis which he clearly doesn't. He would have had it longer than the person he passed it onto so how does he not show symptoms? Would that be before or after Maomao's birth? If before then Maomao would have syphilis too.
@Weeb_Isekai

Right, I might be wrong about Lakan, as your reasoning makes perfect sense. However, I am sure that Fengxian is Maomao's mother, because in episode 18, it was revealed that she is indeed her mother. While the episode was delving into Maomao's backstory, it showed Maomao having a nightmare from her infancy where her mother, a courtesan, appears to be trying to kill her. It then transitioned to a poignant moment where Maomao was tasked with delivering medicine to a courtesan at the Verdigris House, who is later disclosed to be Fengxian, her biological mother. As Fengxian was in her final stages of syphilis, and following your reasoning about Lakan, I guess she must have contracted it before giving birth to Maomao, though I'm not sure if it's a disease that can be passed to babies when a woman is pregnant. We just know that Fengxian lost her position as a courtesan after she had contracted syphilis, and Maomao mentioned that the woman used to react to her violently when being treated by her, possibly because she resents her for lowering her status after she got pregnant from the tryst with Lakan.
Feb 20, 5:45 PM

Jan 2022
This was truly the best episode this whole season. I don't think anything else can top this episode. Sooo much happened in 20 minutes!

Eerie Jinshi was funny, he looked spooky hehe

Maomao went insane (in the membrane, insane in the brain) after Jinshi told her the reward, she's hilarious!

Damn, I hate to say this, but if Lakan wasn't there, Jinshi would've been dead. It seems like Lakan and Suriel were probably the ones behind this and possibly a few others, but those are the highest on my suspect list.

Why was Jinshi walking so damn slow wtf, I mean, we know she's not gonna die but damn, show some urgency. This scene reminded me of Tokyo Ghoul when Kaneki was walking through the snow though
This never updates so that's cool
Feb 20, 8:39 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to Weeb_Isekai
@Nel999 'For the people who think Laka is suspicious, let me spoil it'. What even is the point of this post?
@Weeb_Isekai well, I marked it as spoiler, so no shit... it's spoilers.
Feb 21, 1:18 AM
Feb 2024
Lubię tego typu seriale anime i mam nadzieję że pojawi się tego wiecej
Feb 21, 1:50 AM

Mar 2008
Oh damn, Maomao really got beat and injured bad. That is a lot to do for who she originally presumed was a stranger.

Seems hard to tell why Lakan seemed shocked if it was because Maomao was hurt or because Jinshi was alive or because he didn't know as much as he thought about Jinshi.

But unhh shouldnt Jinshi have enough sense to apply pressure to the wound so Maomao doesnt bleed out ?
traedFeb 21, 1:54 AM
Feb 21, 2:33 AM
Apr 2023
This anime is trash
Feb 21, 6:15 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to IzanaSolos
@Weeb_Isekai Riharu/Rihaku is Lihaku‘s name in romanji. On the website I watched this on they were calling him that so what’s your problem with it. Also the thing about Lakan, has that even been like officially revealed in the anime yet? I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s a spoiler.

I see your point about Jinshi, but for this woman, trouble seems to find her no matter what. It's like she has a knack for it

I’ll take the fault for this one. Maomao's been trying to show Jinshi the reality of life for regular folks, but it seems like he's just not getting it huh.

Damn I ain’t know I was in grammar class now. Chill out sensei this is MAL who cares if it doesn't correlate. I’m just trying to share my opinion.
@IzanaSolos the problem is it is a romanization of a Chinese name which for a long time Chinese already didn't have a good way to Romanize it and it could be said is still impossible to translate some of the meaning but it's not even a direct romanization from Chinese, it's from the Japanese pronunciation of a Chinese name. Japanese does not have some sounds Chinese does so they pronounce Chinese names differently. His name is not Riharu/Rihaku. It's Lihaku. I'm just trying to understand your opinion. Why do you think people would find Jinshi way more infuriating if he were a woman? The next sentence should be an explanation of why that is hence why I replied that it does not correlate because your post is disjointed and lacks explanation. It makes it hard to understand your opinion.
"
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

118 by wumuti »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

163 by wumuti »»
10 hours ago

» Fun fact about Maomao

Fukoku - Oct 22, 2023

10 by tinshard »»
May 25, 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.