Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 14, 2013 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
My parents were very strict and I was spanked a lot as a child.
Most of the time with a wooden spoon on the bottom of my feet or across the knuckles. I was a horrible child that drove my mom batshit crazy.
I've never hit my parents, I told them I hated them once. And my mom sat down to have a talk with me then and I never said it again.
No I'm not a spoiled brat.

I have two kids of my own now and though I am not against spankings I usually just sit them down to talk it over and then take away tv/xbox/computer privileges.
Sep 14, 2013 9:09 AM

Jul 2013
Once, I was like 12 and cursed to my mom over something, got a slap and the brat inside me disappeared.
Sep 14, 2013 9:54 AM
May 2013
This brings back unwanted memories. My mom was a very creative women when it came to punishment
She used an old tissue box and filled it with all different types of punishments every time it was something different She called it "Mommy's box of surprises" I still cringe a little every time I see a tissue box.
Sep 14, 2013 10:30 AM

May 2013
Ah~ Good ol' days. Haven't been hit for some years now.
Sep 14, 2013 11:16 AM

May 2013
my mom never had beaten me ever since. She got angry on me once in my lifetime anyway, I didn't eat the food that she prepared for me. With that, she throw all my food storage, mostly chocolates. Anyway, I got emotionally abused by my other parents instead, especially my aunt. they all take advantage of me when my mom gone overseas to find a living for us both. So I've learned to live alone since then as my mother's siblings were all mean in general.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Sep 14, 2013 11:21 AM

Dec 2012
My mama and dad use to whipped my ass bruh. They dont play. 1 mistake is 2 red ass-cheeks.
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
Sep 14, 2013 11:32 AM

Feb 2013
I'd be lying if I said never. However, that was years ago when I was a kid. I'd be quite surprised if you were beaten once grown up.

Physical punishment is alright when it's light and doesn't tend to be too frequent or violent.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Sep 14, 2013 11:38 AM

Dec 2012
This is what happens when you dont have a stable punishment system for your kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9BEsJPGTYI

SOExclusiveSep 14, 2013 11:53 AM
Sep 14, 2013 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
SOExclusive said:
This is what happens when you dont have a stable punishment system for your kids

I love the sound effects they put in. So dramatic.
Sep 14, 2013 11:45 AM

May 2013
SOExclusive said:

I wonder how he trained that stupid brat to became like that. tsk3. I'll effin beat the sh*t out of that brat's ass if I were her mom.
Sep 14, 2013 12:23 PM

Dec 2012
I live in Sudan so it is really common for that to happen to kids there, I have it way better though since I rarely get hit by my parents. It wasn't until recently that they stopped physical punishment in schools.
Sep 14, 2013 12:29 PM

Aug 2013
People advocating physical punishment unsettle me.

Violence is never the answer, people.
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Sep 14, 2013 12:34 PM
Jul 2013
my father always hits me with or with out reason, he just slaps me silly every time i respond to him.
Sep 14, 2013 12:37 PM

Apr 2011
It's an irrational act by ignorant people who does not know better. Causing physical harm never solves anything in the end. I've never been hit, I had good parents.
Sep 14, 2013 12:43 PM

Mar 2010
Never really misbehaved in my life so there's been no point. Never been grounded either. Some people will most definetly need a beating by their parents sometime though. Even if i'd been misbehaving my parents wouldn't hit me... not their style, and now? well i'm too old to take shit from them now, not that it's ever been needed xD
Sep 14, 2013 12:56 PM

Apr 2011
Only a select few times. Nothing like some of my friends had to put up with. My dad was a heavy drinker when I was a really young kid, and he actually was not violent thankfully. A few of my good friends had parents who were addicts/alcoholics and would often take out their frustration on them. I remember when I was 12 my friend started getting pissed at his dad for making fun of him when I was over and punched him, his dad beat the crap out of him and basically looked at me like "you want some?!". To be fair my friend punched him in the face, but I know his dad was just violent in general.

The very few times my dad hit me, like literally only like 2 or 3 times, it was because I was throwing a fit and broke expensive stuff and he basically gave me a backhand to the face(I was around 7-10). My mom hit me one time, and I legit completely deserved it and she even apologized after. It was halloween and I wanted some mask that was like $50, I got all pissed cause she wouldn't get it. When we were driving home I was sitting in the back seat behind her and kicked the seat with all my strength and it almost made her crash. When we got home she just slapped me as hard as she could. It was tough times for all of us, my family was broke and my parents were going through their second divorce. I don't blame them at all, and I did far worse to vent my frustration. I'm sure they wanted to hit me quite a few times when I was a teenager, but they were completely scared of me by that point.

I think violence towards children is wrong, but I don't think parents who just snap for a second and hit their kid should be crucified for it. As for spanking...To me it seems pretty pointless, but it's also fairly harmless. People are too politically correct for their own good now days. Not to mention that most the people who voice out about it are these perky middle class people who don't really know what it's like to be poor or live in a violent neighbourhood. I really only hate parent's who hit their kids for absolutely no reason besides the fact they hate themselves and want to take it out on someone, those people are scum.
Sep 14, 2013 1:09 PM

Feb 2013
I was spanked for discipline, never out of anger. Looking back at my childhood, I'm amazed that my parents had the patience to not hit me.
Sep 14, 2013 1:17 PM

Jul 2012
why does NOT getting hit make someone a spoiled brat?

your poll reflected this difference, but your initial post did not
Sep 14, 2013 1:46 PM

Nov 2012
Using the procédé of fear inducement to teach kids what is right and wrong through plebeian methods is preposterous.
The autocratic parents who practice domestic violence for the hell of it have another say concerning the matter though.They will bring you this erratic psychological argument on the table to justify their actions and inability to come up with non-violent problem-solving ideas :" Your kid commits a mistake, you hit him. He commits it again, you hit him once more and so forth until he learns that his behavior is wrong. Much like taming."

My mother's childhood was marked by domestic abuse, that's why she never laid a finger on her children. She always used rhetorical eloquence to explain why certain actions are harmful or morally wrong. On the other hand, my arrogant dad despised my equally boastful and cocky personality when I was a kid. He hated it whenever I prodded at him that he was wrong. He would spank me for "insubordination" which only made things worse.

"With all due respect, it is because you know I'm right that you spanked me, daddy."

How condescending when I think about it, but I must admit, if I didn't know that my mother would be there to protect me from my patriarch, I wouldn't have acted that arrogantly. Fun times though. Fun times.
Sep 14, 2013 2:13 PM

Aug 2013
I did get hit with a belt when I disobeyed my mother when I was little, but now no.
Sep 14, 2013 2:22 PM

Aug 2013
Physical punishment is dishonorable and wrong.
I hope that your parents review the own behavior.
I'm very annoyed for this event.
Sep 14, 2013 3:21 PM

Oct 2009
Agnusogi said:
Physical punishment is dishonorable and wrong.
I hope that your parents review the own behavior.
I'm very annoyed for this event.

We were very sorry for this event that causes you inconveniences by mentioning a dishonorable act done by our parents. We will take the proper action regarding this issue so that our parents could reflects from their own mistakes.

Please accept our sincere apology and don't send our parents to hell.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Sep 14, 2013 3:33 PM
Jul 2013
Uhhhh no.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Sep 14, 2013 3:52 PM

Mar 2012
I don't believe so. I vaguely recall my mom throwing a CD case at me, but it was probably warranted (I was in that rebellious phase that often accompanies late elementary school).
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 14, 2013 4:06 PM

Sep 2012
Ruler, belt, wire... I tasted all that, sometimes I get the feeling my parents seem my parents were making some experiments.
Sep 14, 2013 5:56 PM

May 2013
Yes I was, but I'm thankful for it.

Why? It taught me right from wrong.

Taking away my toys and what have you was utterly useless because from the age of 4 onward I realized that if I sat in my room for a few hours being quiet I'd get them back.

No lesson is learned there.

The problem is there is a very fine line between 'enough force to learn a lesson' and 'excessive force'
Sep 14, 2013 6:06 PM

Feb 2010
I don't think my parents have ever hit me (I don't remember very well), though I think my dad whipped a wooden spatula on my butt years ago. It sucked. XP
Sep 14, 2013 6:19 PM

Sep 2009
I'm Asian, what do you think.

I agree with physical punishment as there's just somethings you need to bring attention to, even if you have to get a bit physical.

Having said that, parents who use physical punishment as a means of communication are horrible and shouldn't of had children to begin with. It's a sign of a weak person who doesn't have the strength of character to discipline their children properly and end up smacking them around like a rag doll.
Sep 14, 2013 6:31 PM

Apr 2012
Yes and rightfully so since I use to act like a brat.

Is it considered child abuse to smoke your children? (where you do forced exercise like push ups like in the Army)
Sep 14, 2013 6:32 PM

Oct 2012
No, not that I can remember.
I'm always screamed at, but they never physically hurt me.
Or least I think so.

Sep 14, 2013 6:33 PM

May 2013
Got whooped by coat hangers! A good 5 years ago.
Sep 14, 2013 6:50 PM

Mar 2012
Mclovinballs said:

Is it considered child abuse to smoke your children? (where you do forced exercise like push ups like in the Army)
Even though you explained it, this is still blowing my mind.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 14, 2013 6:57 PM

Apr 2012
Araby said:
Mclovinballs said:

Even though you explained it, this is still blowing my mind.

It's strange military slang, I guess the idea is to make you sweat so much, steam comes off you. One of the platoons that fucked up so bad when I went to basic, that the drill sergeant said he'd smoke them till the walls were able to stick a card due to humidity.
Sep 14, 2013 8:25 PM

Nov 2012
My parents have never hit me, except one time when I opened the car door while we were doing 60 on the highway (I was 3 at the time and didn't know any better, and got spanked ;L)

Also I've never been yelled or punished in any way, my parents are too nice.
Sep 14, 2013 8:36 PM
Feb 2013
My mom would hit me with a belt when i was young.
Sep 14, 2013 8:39 PM

Feb 2012
If you count spankings, hell of a lot, if you don't, hardly at all.

I was mostly a good kid, but I refused to keep my room clean when my dad's half of my parent's room was a pig sty. It became a bit of a hot-button issue.

Now that I'm out and married, I do keep a clean house, btw.

I think for the most part, dad was a giant ass about the whole thing. He took lying less seriously than he took my room. It took years of therapy and a lot of will power to even begin to forgive him. We are closer now but... there are WAY too many alkward silences with us. Mom and I are tight.
Sep 14, 2013 9:14 PM
Apr 2010
Slaps across the mouth for being disrespectful and out of order? Yes.

Abuse? No.

I find that the more annoying people I deal with day in and day out were never hit (disciplined) as a child.
Sep 14, 2013 9:40 PM

Sep 2012
Back then I was a very bad boy so I got a very bad hit. I cried.
Sep 14, 2013 9:58 PM

Sep 2013
my dad almost never did it

but my mom did it so much its hilarious =/

Sep 14, 2013 10:00 PM
Jul 2013
Who are the 3 spoiled brats
Sep 14, 2013 10:28 PM

Dec 2012
XVIII said:
Who are the 3 spoiled brats
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Sep 15, 2013 2:23 AM

May 2013
militrix said:
my dad almost never did it

but my mom did it so much its hilarious =/

How's that beating you by your mom even funny?
Sep 15, 2013 2:53 AM

Jul 2008
I know many people on the internet are Atheists, but I'm going to say this anyway:

Spare the rod, spoil the child... it's in the Bible, yet can be applied no matter what you believe in.

Children nowadays need to be disciplined, and taking their iPhone 5C for 3 days is not good enough. Parents need to beat their children and teach them some common sense. Now when I say beat, I mean with a belt a few times. I've been hit with the belt/choked multiple times, but I learned my lesson early and stopped getting into trouble (by either not doing it or not getting caught, either way, I got smarter).

People are quick to blame outside media for children being so dumb now, but it all starts at home and with the parents. When I was younger, I couldn't watch VH1,MTV, or BET (and thank God for that, they may have saved me from turning into a YOLO/SWAG idiot). I also wasn't allowed to watch PG-13 at the age of 15... that didn't stop me from doing it at someone else's house though. This taught me something though, I learned the fact that there is a time and place for everything. You won't hear me cursing in public, but you will when I am gaming or with friends. I know how to treat people and can do the right thing when necessary (nowadays, this should be considered a special ability).

Enough of the personal history, earning beatings is painful, and at some point you'll learn to avoid them... unless you're stupid. Kids these days are given everything and parents wonder why they can't control them. Rather than giving them that Galaxy Tab 2, give them a nice leather belt with some studs to leave a nice mark and keep them in line. Parents are not there to be your friends, they are there to give some discipline and teach you to the best of their ability.
Sep 15, 2013 6:02 AM

Dec 2012
Funny story:

Chillin' at the dinner table, laughing about spam e-mails, mum tells me to shut up continue to laugh

Get a knife thrown at me

N00b mother can't kill shit not even with the instant kill throwing knife, worst CoD player ever
http://i.imgur.com/RfRLASu.jpg < my blood (looks like texta)

Happened 2 hours ago and my arm hurts

Sep 15, 2013 6:53 AM

Dec 2012
Nidstang said:
It's an irrational act by ignorant people who does not know better. Causing physical harm never solves anything in the end. I've never been hit, I had good parents.

Well everyone isnt like you
I can guarantee you that if my parents didnt whoop my ass back than, I probably wouldnt be here today.
Sep 15, 2013 7:00 AM

Dec 2012
Mclovinballs said:

I dont think so. That happened to me. I went through the push ups. Sits up. Holding the 2 phone books. I think a parent cross the line when the ass whooping last too long or they use too much excessive force
Sep 15, 2013 7:01 AM

Dec 2012
Turnipsia said:
Funny story:

Chillin' at the dinner table, laughing about spam e-mails, mum tells me to shut up continue to laugh

Get a knife thrown at me

N00b mother can't kill shit not even with the instant kill throwing knife, worst CoD player ever
http://i.imgur.com/RfRLASu.jpg < my blood (looks like texta)

Happened 2 hours ago and my arm hurts

Your mom is crazy! Call child services!
Sep 15, 2013 7:22 AM

Sep 2007
I live in Norway and I have to say that for me it's so strange to read this thread and see that a lot of people think physical punishment is okay as long as it is done when the kid has done something wrong. Now I understand that different countries have different cultures/wievs/traditions on how to raise chilren, that all kids are different and of course that being hit as punishment once does not equal abuse. But for me it seems strange that this should be necessary. I've got siblings and I've had lots of verbal fights with my parents over the years, but I've never been hit, don't know anyone who have been hit by their parents and I don't think it's even legal to hit your child in Norway.
I don't mean judge anyone or saying that not physical punishment is the only right way to raise a child, just saying that it seems strange to me, probably because it's something not common/legal in my country.
Sep 15, 2013 7:50 AM

Dec 2012
E_chan said:
I live in Norway and I have to say that for me it's so strange to read this thread and see that a lot of people think physical punishment is okay as long as it is done when the kid has done something wrong. Now I understand that different countries have different cultures/wievs/traditions on how to raise chilren, that all kids are different and of course that being hit as punishment once does not equal abuse. But for me it seems strange that this should be necessary. I've got siblings and I've had lots of verbal fights with my parents over the years, but I've never been hit, don't know anyone who have been hit by their parents and I don't think it's even legal to hit your child in Norway.
I don't mean judge anyone or saying that not physical punishment is the only right way to raise a child, just saying that it seems strange to me, probably because it's something not common/legal in my country.

what you've experienced is culture shock
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» why do people in power destroy the environment for industrialization or to build sanctuaries?

FruitPunchBaka - 54 minutes ago

3 by Stomiks »»
22 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

56 by GCRyan »»
1 hour ago

» Behind every successful man, there’s a woman ( 1 2 )

Cuckoo_Clock - Jul 25, 2021

53 by ArabianLuffy »»
1 hour ago

» What is the point of participating in the community when the returns are negligible?

PostMahouShoujo - 2 hours ago

0 by PostMahouShoujo »»
2 hours ago

» How are your cooking skills

ST63LTH - May 2

48 by Daviljoe193 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.