Forum Settings
Forums

First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 13, 10:14 PM

Jun 2016
I hope this will actually be good, the character designs look amazing.
Jun 14, 2:48 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to BilboBaggins365
@billybub I have read Anne of Green Gables and I have watched the anime. The anime is very accurate to the book, it's not like they came up with tons of original ideas and changed the narrative to "suit" a Japanese audience (cause the fanbase over there for Anne is huge). Therefore, the writer is Lucy Maud Montgomery, therefore not a Japanese writer and by your own definition not anime. The only adaption there is the classic how do you cut this up into a show "adaption". Which to me is irrelevant. Even for something like the original LOTR adaption by PJ, which has changes, and did make cuts, I am not going to say the LOTR films were written by PJ, it's Tolkien and always has been Tolkien. Akane No Anne is frankly more faithful, of what I remember.

My argument makes plenty of sense from that direction. You asserted that the fact it has a Western writer disqualifies it from being anime however, some really important foundational works in this medium are originally Western works, largely adapted without much alteration (I can't speak for the other Masterpiece works but true for Anne). It only doesn't make sense because it's inconvient to your weirdly xenophobic argument despite how much Western influence has always existed within anime, and despite how many early foundational works within anime like Masterpiece Theater were very important for the industry.

Plus regardless of this name, MAL is pretty much a haven of Manhua and Manwha works too. it's hardly just been for Japanese works, whether you agree or not. At least this work does have significant staff who are Japanese and a Japanese studio behind it. Those have been historically allowed on here regardless of what you feel is "right". Spider Riders, a Canadian show that worked with Japanese animators/staff for instance is on here.

@TheMechaManiac So again, Akane no Anne not anime right? I mean if you want to go down that argument go ahead. Really the definition is whatever you want to make it.
@BilboBaggins365 you don't understand what we're talking about.
The problem are the western screenwriters, not the writers of the original story. They've proven themselves to be incapable of writing anything else but strong female characters™.
Akage no Anne had a Japanese screenwriter who adapted the Anne of the Green Gables story to anime form.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jun 14, 3:22 AM

May 2022
As a LotR and Hobbit fan i'm very worried. Rings of Power was utter trash so i don't really see this one end well.
Jun 14, 3:39 AM

Oct 2021
Why should a western cartoon be on here?
Jun 14, 4:39 AM

May 2015
Reply to Old_School_Akira
@Nurguburu yes it’s anime.

Sola Digital Arts is an animation studio in Japan. Their other anime is on this site so why not this?
https://x.com/SolaDigitalArts/status/1494244295909396489

Various people are working at SOLA DIGITAL ARTS, regardless of their age, gender or nationality.

We have team members coming from China, Korea, South East Asia, the United States, the Czech Republic, and finding new international staff is one of our top priorities.

Communication between members is made easier by the fact that almost every department is located within our own organization. This leads to open and lively interactions between the sections and brings directors and producers closer to other team members.

This page introduces 4 SOLA DIGITAL ARTS members, a "senior artist", a "junior artist", a "international artist" and an "art & design creator", as well as their respective area of specialization and their activities across the company’s sections.

Source: https://sola-digital.com/team/

Non-Japanese people work on anime now. MAL needs to get with the times!
@Old_School_Akira 42 likes on a 6 month old post from Japanese Twitter goes further to prove that this is not primarily intended for the Japanese market...therefore NOT anime.
Jun 14, 7:21 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to billybub
@Old_School_Akira 42 likes on a 6 month old post from Japanese Twitter goes further to prove that this is not primarily intended for the Japanese market...therefore NOT anime.
@billybub so all the Stan Lee / Marvel anime are not anime anymore? https://myanimelist.net/people/5048/Stan_Lee?q=Stan%20Lee&cat=person
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jun 14, 7:44 AM

May 2015
Reply to Old_School_Akira
@billybub so all the Stan Lee / Marvel anime are not anime anymore? https://myanimelist.net/people/5048/Stan_Lee?q=Stan%20Lee&cat=person
@Old_School_Akira what part of MAJORITY JAPANESE PRODUCTION and AIMED PRIMARILY at the Japanese market are you failing to understand? In every single Stan Lee entry he's listed as the original creator that's it. Marvel anime is literally an all Japanese production aimed directly at the Japanese market. Therefore its anime!
Jun 14, 8:14 AM
Aug 2023
Why do they decide to adapt a LoTR story into an anime of all the mediums? The art style just doesn't really fit, and LoTR isn't something made for anime watchers.

This feels like a experimental movie to push LoTR IP towerds younger people. Worst case scenario, this could be a cursed movie but gen z anime watcher will defend it and it'll divide the LoTR community even further.
Jun 14, 8:36 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to a8612157
Why do they decide to adapt a LoTR story into an anime of all the mediums? The art style just doesn't really fit, and LoTR isn't something made for anime watchers.

This feels like a experimental movie to push LoTR IP towerds younger people. Worst case scenario, this could be a cursed movie but gen z anime watcher will defend it and it'll divide the LoTR community even further.
@a8612157
Deltora Quest is a similar story that received an anime in 2007, albeit with an art style different from that of the books.
その目だれの目?
Jun 14, 8:53 AM

May 2024
Medieval Fantasy is taking over anime and I approve.
Jun 14, 1:57 PM

Dec 2013
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Viriathus cuz this ain't canon. Anything outside Lotr and hobbit is pure fanfiction. Made to milk off Tolkien grave.
@SpiderMiles3523 True, still would take it in anime format.
Jun 14, 2:42 PM
Apr 2013
After all those garbage productions like Gollum, Rings of Power, the Hobbit Trilogy and even around 70% of the MtG card set this at least LOOKS like the first time a project deserves attention. Some parts of the interview have me worried, but I am at least... lets call it slightly hopeful. I am not really a fan of the name Hera since I haven't heard about that being a name usually used for anglo-saxon ladies, Helga would have been a better choice. But I want to not damn this show from the beginning.
Jun 14, 4:10 PM

May 2024
Reply to a8612157

Hard disagree to all the people who think that Lord of the Rings is a bad fit for anime or that Tolkien's works wouldn't appeal to anime fans.

Anime has always had a huge amount of Fantasy and Fantasy influence, and we're in the middle of a return to Fantasy anime being big in the medium thanks to the Isekai boom. Isekai has really brought back Fantasy into prominence in the anime genre. Some people call it "Native Isekai" since it's an offshoot of Isekai being popular, but that's really just Fantasy and particularly Western medieval/High Fantasy becoming popular again.

I've always thought certain Western properties always would have lended themselves to anime more than others. As a child I yearned for things like a Star Wars anime or a Lord of the Rings anime. These ideas seemed obvious to me from a very young age. Star Wars Visions seems decades too late but at least it happened eventually.

And Lord of the Rings is all the more classic. I don't think there's any greater honor for anime than to be part of THE Fantasy work that has influenced %90 of Fantasy after it. It may not be the first work of Fantasy, but it's certainly the most influential.

Whether it will be a good adaption is another matter entirely. Rings of Power and Peter Jackson's Hobbit movie aren't the best received. Maybe it'll be good, maybe it won't be. But at the very least anime isn't an unfitting medium for Tolkien's works.
Jun 14, 4:22 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Play2X
After all those garbage productions like Gollum, Rings of Power, the Hobbit Trilogy and even around 70% of the MtG card set this at least LOOKS like the first time a project deserves attention. Some parts of the interview have me worried, but I am at least... lets call it slightly hopeful. I am not really a fan of the name Hera since I haven't heard about that being a name usually used for anglo-saxon ladies, Helga would have been a better choice. But I want to not damn this show from the beginning.
@Play2X the writer is the same as the hobbit. The hobbit was canon despite additions. This is fanfiction
Jun 14, 4:25 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to a8612157

@a8612157 you hit the nail on the head. Tolkien estate practically existed to prevent stuff like this from getting made. That is why for the longest time you only had the lotr and the hobbit. But with Christopher tolkien's death, I think simon tolkien chose to sell out their jrr's legacy.
Jun 14, 5:05 PM
Apr 2013
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@Play2X the writer is the same as the hobbit. The hobbit was canon despite additions. This is fanfiction
@SpiderMiles3523 If that abomination of a movie is supposed to be canon (which it isn't, luckily), I'd rather read the fanfiction. But if the writer is the one who did the hobbit, I can safely say that I don't need to care about this anymore.
Jun 14, 6:00 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@billybub the whole reason the Tolkien estate exists is to prevent bastardizations like this from existing.

Anyone praising this should be ashamed for worshipping blasphemy
@SpiderMiles3523 The vibe of this thread right now

Jun 14, 6:35 PM

Jul 2021
I'm surprised this thread has gone on for so long with this much negativity.

I think this show deserves a chance. We've seen three screenshots. We can all bash it once the trailer comes around.

I love The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. I also love anime. I don't see a problem with combining the two. In fact, I'd prefer this kind of project to yet another film adaptation or live-action TV series, because we've seen those before already, with mixed results.

And realistically, there's no chance a property like The Lord of the Rings would remain "locked away in a vault," especially in this day and age. The best we can hope for is for talented people to adapt and build on what exists. We just support the ones that turn out good.
Jun 14, 6:58 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to TheDarkLordOtaku
@SpiderMiles3523 The vibe of this thread right now

@TheDarkLordOtaku perfect meme right here. This adaptation needs to be cast in the fires of mount doom. Destroy it.
Jun 14, 7:05 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to Play2X
@SpiderMiles3523 If that abomination of a movie is supposed to be canon (which it isn't, luckily), I'd rather read the fanfiction. But if the writer is the one who did the hobbit, I can safely say that I don't need to care about this anymore.
@Play2X the writer is the same woman. The only reason she did well with lord of the rings is because it was basically trimming a masterpiece novel trilogy into movie format. Aka cutting out fat like Tom bombadil.

The Hobbit was a 3 billion dollar trilogy and he people from lotr like Legolas, frodo, galleries, saruman, Saucony and critics still bashed it. They might be nicer on this cuz it is anime. But in the end of the day, this isn't Tolkien canon at all.
Jun 14, 7:05 PM

Nov 2015
Reply to perseii

I think this show deserves a chance. We've seen three screenshots. We can all bash it once the trailer comes around.

I love The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. I also love anime. I don't see a problem with combining the two. In fact, I'd prefer this kind of project to yet another film adaptation or live-action TV series, because we've seen those before already, with mixed results.

And realistically, there's no chance a property like The Lord of the Rings would remain "locked away in a vault," especially in this day and age. The best we can hope for is for talented people to adapt and build on what exists. We just support the ones that turn out good.
@perseii the meme above your post applies perfectly. Purists are by nature incestuous and extremely conservative to the point of denying reality
and i guess

that i just don't know
Jun 14, 8:20 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to perseii

perseii said:

Most of it is a single person's negativity.

perseii said:

I'm only disappointed nobody ever adapts the parts that interest me. I suppose this is to be expected given that I largely dislike The Lord of the Rings.
その目だれの目?
Jun 14, 9:20 PM

May 2015
Reply to perseii

@perseii if you want to watch it watch it. Hell I'll probably watch it, but this is not anime and doesn't belong here.
Jun 14, 10:53 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@BilboBaggins365 you don't understand what we're talking about.
The problem are the western screenwriters, not the writers of the original story. They've proven themselves to be incapable of writing anything else but strong female characters™.
Akage no Anne had a Japanese screenwriter who adapted the Anne of the Green Gables story to anime form.
@TheMechaManiac @TheMechaManiac What is this supposed to be some commentary on culture war nonsense? The precious Japanese are not impervious to putting whatever you hate in their own works. Honestly it was a manga that I think had one of the more overt cases of the author having self internalized misandry, more so than any Western work I have seen of late. Not every Western screenwriter/writer is some harbinger of doom lol. If there is an actual issue with the author or screenwriter's past work just bring that up then, otherwise it's just typical anime fan xenophobia.

@perseii TBH as a big Tolkien Fan, I am just not really excited about anything in that universe that the guy himself didn't pen. Still it has the Middle Earth setting, so you probably could make a decent fantasy story compared to most stuff we see in this medium. If the reviews aren't horrible I will probably check it out.
Jun 15, 1:46 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to billybub
@perseii if you want to watch it watch it. Hell I'll probably watch it, but this is not anime and doesn't belong here.
billybub said:
if you want to watch it watch it. Hell I'll probably watch it, but this is not anime and doesn't belong here.

Sure. My "negativity" comment was more to do with people saying "this anime will be terrible" or "this anime shouldn't exist."

I don't have strong opinions about whether this "belongs" on MAL. Not until I see more of this movie. I do understand the arguments you've made in this thread, though, and I also understand MAL has specific rules about adding an anime.
Jun 15, 2:00 AM

Nov 2023
Do I need to watch the previous films to understand it?
Jun 15, 2:50 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
perseii said:

Most of it is a single person's negativity.

perseii said:

I'm only disappointed nobody ever adapts the parts that interest me. I suppose this is to be expected given that I largely dislike The Lord of the Rings.
@Lucifrost https://youtu.be/IKOwvC5sVL4?si=G4tCepqJytYgRqZq

https://youtu.be/2deMd04CgnU?si=37K32Bi6gJIZxK53

Tolkien fans are not on board. They just been harassed off the internet off by anime fans who claim this is the true lord of the rings.

Tolkien himself never really wanted his work to be adapted into film. Let alone people make fanfictions off of it and sell it for profit. He only sold the rights cuz he needed money. But his estate kept a leash on Hollywood.

He was a professor at the end of the day. He wrote lotr to explore languages and folktale
Jun 15, 2:51 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to BilboBaggins365
@TheMechaManiac @TheMechaManiac What is this supposed to be some commentary on culture war nonsense? The precious Japanese are not impervious to putting whatever you hate in their own works. Honestly it was a manga that I think had one of the more overt cases of the author having self internalized misandry, more so than any Western work I have seen of late. Not every Western screenwriter/writer is some harbinger of doom lol. If there is an actual issue with the author or screenwriter's past work just bring that up then, otherwise it's just typical anime fan xenophobia.

@perseii TBH as a big Tolkien Fan, I am just not really excited about anything in that universe that the guy himself didn't pen. Still it has the Middle Earth setting, so you probably could make a decent fantasy story compared to most stuff we see in this medium. If the reviews aren't horrible I will probably check it out.
@BilboBaggins365
The incompetence of the West in writing realistic, flawed female characters is very much real. Keep huffing the copium if you want to, but the truth is more than obvious.
And in regards to that case of manga misandry, it's only one author for maybe a hundred other authors.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jun 15, 4:31 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to Ratris_Decision
Do I need to watch the previous films to understand it?
@Ratris_Decision it is a spinoff so answer is maybe.
Jun 15, 4:39 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@BilboBaggins365
The incompetence of the West in writing realistic, flawed female characters is very much real. Keep huffing the copium if you want to, but the truth is more than obvious.
And in regards to that case of manga misandry, it's only one author for maybe a hundred other authors.
@TheMechaManiac the lotr/hobbit writer emphasized Arwin in lotr by making her rescue frodo and giving her more screening. In the novels she barely did anything. Eowyn was given the theoden death grief scene in the movies vs Merry.

Don't get me started on tauriel in the hobbit and making a love triangle between kili and Legolas
SpiderMiles3523Jun 15, 5:06 AM
Jun 15, 5:35 AM

Sep 2021
I'm sceptical about this but let's see how it would turn out to be. Since the bar has been set so low by Rings of Power, I might enjoy it even if it is just average at best lol.
Jun 15, 1:49 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@TheMechaManiac the lotr/hobbit writer emphasized Arwin in lotr by making her rescue frodo and giving her more screening. In the novels she barely did anything. Eowyn was given the theoden death grief scene in the movies vs Merry.

Don't get me started on tauriel in the hobbit and making a love triangle between kili and Legolas
@SpiderMiles3523 Yeah, but that was well over 20 years ago at this point. Even the Hobbit is close to pushing 15. Also, this isn't being written by the woman who was responsible for the Jackson movies.
Once again the problem is with the modern writers who are writing for a modern audience™ with too many first world problems.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jun 15, 2:36 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@BilboBaggins365
@TheMechaManiac You could literally go to the most popular Western fantasy writer at the moment who isn't dead (outside of GRR who also writes good female characters), in Brandon Sanderson, read one of his most popular works in Mistborn and find that to not be the case. Vin is better than a vast majority of female characters I have seen in this medium and again he is hardly the absolute best at his craft in that genre alone. I largely play Western RPGs and again Cyberpunk 2077, Rogue Trader etc have largely good and fun female characters. Speaking of Rogue Trader, even in the most pulpy fiction coming out of the 40k franchise it also has plenty of very fun female characters, better than a lot of your average waifu bait (they wish they were as good as Cassia, Amberley Vail or Tona Criid) and with stories that frankly are better than most anime that come out. And that is 40k fiction lol, hardly a high bar of literature or entertainment.

It's not copium it's just obvious some anime/manga fans focus on a whole bunch of bad works, and then assume anyone who is "Western" is just unable to write. That ignores quite a few good TV shows, films or books that are actually out there, it's not always the most mainstream stuff however, sometimes it really is. It's literally like saying Japan is incapable of writing anything but vapid power fantasy shit, by looking at your average isekai, which to be fair we get plenty of people saying that too.... and they are also incredibly wrong.

Anyway I have no idea if this show actually going to be good. It may literally be full of the classic "strong woman" trope where the lead needs to be super overaggressive and demeaning to her male peers. That said, if you think that Western fiction is literally only that at the moment you need to actually expand what you are looking at instead of just going off cultural war narratives.

Yeah but those authors also have tons of other writing defects. Like I like anime/manga however, it largely is YA eseque writing which has advantages and disadvantages. The medium puts out way more good stuff within animation than everyone else however, that is achieved by throwing out a lot of quantity. Most anime aren't even bad just really boring and mediocre which is why I am pretty selective in the shows I pick (and even then you find plenty of disappointing or meh stuff). There is often a lack of tonal and genre variance, high compared to most other animation industries however, compared to some other mediums like gaming, novels or Western films (before it became over reliant on blockbusters) it is quite limiting. I know what anime does well, I will come here when I am in the mood for that, however, there is a lot they don't do well, one of those being Western inspired fantasy outside of exceptions.
BilboBaggins365Jun 15, 3:47 PM
Jun 15, 2:59 PM

Aug 2020
Ooooh Kenji Kamiyama. This is all I need to know

Jun 15, 4:22 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to KitsuFrost
Ooooh Kenji Kamiyama. This is all I need to know
@KitsuFrost you need to know that the screenwriters are Western.
Last 10 or so years of Hollywood and American television have been pretty bad, barring a few exceptions.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jun 15, 4:33 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@KitsuFrost you need to know that the screenwriters are Western.
Last 10 or so years of Hollywood and American television have been pretty bad, barring a few exceptions.
@TheMechaManiac jon Favreau would like a word with you. He launched the mcu and star wars television. If you are talking about d&d from game of thrones yeah they are bad.
Jun 15, 4:38 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@SpiderMiles3523 Yeah, but that was well over 20 years ago at this point. Even the Hobbit is close to pushing 15. Also, this isn't being written by the woman who was responsible for the Jackson movies.
Once again the problem is with the modern writers who are writing for a modern audience™ with too many first world problems.
@TheMechaManiac most of the good Hollywood writers are definitely not at warner bros discovery. This is going to get anime bias from critics and grift off that
Jun 16, 1:29 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@TheMechaManiac jon Favreau would like a word with you. He launched the mcu and star wars television. If you are talking about d&d from game of thrones yeah they are bad.
@SpiderMiles3523 Jon Favreau has had his trash moments - remember Mandalorian season 3?
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jun 19, 5:14 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@SpiderMiles3523 Jon Favreau has had his trash moments - remember Mandalorian season 3?
@TheMechaManiac this is never going to better than og. Like never. The later Tolkien entries made people look back at 2001-2003 as the good old days.
Jun 19, 9:57 PM

May 2024
I hate this "culture war" nonsense and how it seems to infect every single piece of media I consume, now.

People can't enjoy things like Stellar Blade or in this case an anime Lord of the Rings adaptation or just not like it if it's not their cup of tea. Everything has to be a political argument, now.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» morality indicators in anime ( 1 2 )

slopgobbler - Yesterday

56 by JaniSIr »»
6 minutes ago

» Did you "really" watch a show if you didn't see it in Blu-Ray?

Dragevard - Jun 1

33 by ColourWheel »»
7 minutes ago

» Name Two Anime you want to crossover?

RedTea33 - 1 hour ago

2 by tchitchouan »»
12 minutes ago

» the L word ( 1 2 )

SmugMiri - Yesterday

55 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

» If the roles were switched in Chainsaw Man

Kenzolo-folk - 1 hour ago

2 by deg »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.