Forum Settings
Forums

Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 23, 2:16 AM

Feb 2022
Anime is an artistic medium primarily, not something to satisfy people's malformed libidos. Anyone trying to say that sexual exploitation is an inherent part of the medium is a tourist and should take their "just anime things" to the chair and rope.
May 23, 2:33 AM

Jul 2021
my take: most animes are made in japan and are voiced in japan.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 23, 2:48 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Gashadokur0
@ST63LTH Your assertion that no perfect anime exists at this juncture is an interesting hypothesis. However, the notion of perfection is inherently subjective and context-dependent. Some might argue that series such as FMAB or Neon Genesis Evangelion approach an ideal form within the medium, despite their perceived flaws. Thus, while absolute perfection may be unattainable, relative perfection is a matter of personal perspective.
@Gashadokur0 I’m happy with this answer although there aren’t any technical perfect anime that exist.
May 23, 3:13 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Sure, I'll bite.
Death Note is only good when the viewer is a teenager (or an adult who never intellectually matured beyond a tennager's level).
Protag of Redo of Healer did nothing wrong. He only brainwashed or killed or raped those that deserved it. Sure, some innocent people died because of his inaction, but a person is not required to care for random bystanders. He also saved a lot of lives he wasn't required to. He's a good person.
Evangelion is not deep.
May 23, 4:20 AM

May 2024
Reply to APolygons2
Ok now we're getting somewhere, points that I can argue with. This is what I have been looking for for so long on this website, a reasonable argument to argue against!

Gashadokur0 said:
The overarching narrative in Brotherhood follows the original manga more closely, resulting in a more cohesive and complete storyline. The FMA anime adaptation diverges more from the source material, amplifying its dramatic elements and overall thematic bleakness( Basically FMA splits from the manga storyline around episodes 25-30). FMAB strikes a balance with its lighter tone, successfully capturing the comedic essence found in the original manga. The world-building in FMA is comparatively lacking, with fewer characters and less depth, especially when compared to the expansive world and diverse cast present in FMAB. For instance, notable characters from Xing, such as Ling Yao and Lan Fan, are absent in FMA, so we don't get to see their intriguing developments. Additionally, the absence of Alkahestry in FMA means that significant aspects of some characters backstories are left unexplored. Another example is Olivia Armstrong, whose exclusion from FMA significantly alters the narrative surrounding Amestris northern border sub-arc. Also the gradual development of the relationship between Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye, a prominent aspect in FMAB, is absent in FMA. Let's not forget the pacing – Brotherhood maintains a consistent rhythm throughout, sparing us from the filler episodes that plague the original series.

Let's go over each part separately,

- You say that brotherhood follows the manga more closely, and I don't believe that matters. FMA 2003 is essentially a different story, even from the very first few episodes it was setting up for a different narrative, with the "truth" of brotherhood being replaced with flashes of the real world. I'm not sure if we see the truth in the manga too, but I am sure the flashes are a 2003 only thing. It was always meant to go a different direction.

You mentioned two reasons for why you consider that a bad thing "The lack of cohesiveness, and failing to capture the comedy". The first I do not get, both stories are complete, and "cohesive". Unless I'm not getting what you mean by that, that complaint does not exist as far as I'm concerned.

And now the comedy, there are 2 issues with this complaint.

1. you mention this as a bad thing because it's not like the manga, That's not a real complaint. 2003 is literally a different story that just starts the same. so not being like the manga is a nothing burger, it doesn't mean anything to this discussion.

2. The tonal whiplash of brotherhood with the comedy was something that I always disliked to begin with. It only lessens the serious moments. Even when I had only seen brotherhood, I never watched it for the comedy. So the constant jokes that were meant to "balance out" the darkness, only lessened the experience. Why would you want to lessen the strongest aspect of the show?

I don't remember fmab as the show with short Edward jokes, I remember it as this epic narrative of two brothers trying to fix the mistake of trying bring their dead mom back to life, a father dying on duty because he was too good at his job, soldiers feel of regret from killing innocent people in war, the fucking dog!!!!

I don't want these things to be "balanced out". And let's not lie about this, 2003 still has comedy. It's just not as much as brotherhood's. They didn't completely take them out or anything. They just toned them down, which I absolutely believe to be a good thing.

Then you talk about the world building, which I half agree with, Yes the inclusion of characters from other countries adds to it. and that would normally put brotherhood above, even if it's a fairly small difference. But on the other hand, the truth of a 2003 is a far bigger piece of world building than the truth in brotherhood. It's WAY bigger of a piece of world building that is both extremely interesting, and well explored. In fact, the "real world"'s relation was one of the very few things that didn't feel rushed in the movie.

Then you start talking about the things that are in brotherhood, and are good in brotherhood, that are missing in 2003. Which is true, but that is not a one sided argument. Lust's backstory which was one of the most powerful and well put together parts of 2003 is missing in brotherhood, and replaced by a version of lust that is extremely flat, Izumi's attempt to bring her kid back to life, is far more explored in the story, adding so much to her character in comparison to brotherhood. Sloth being the reincarnation of the brother's mother, made for some extremely powerful moments. Tucker who was originally a very solid plot device, is still that and so much more as a fully fleshed out character.

There are way too many differences between the two casts to compare all of them here. So that's not what I'm trying to do. My point here is that, both version of the story have good characters, arcs, and relations that are missing from the other. It is true that brotherhood has good elements that are missing in 2003 like the few things that you named, but that goes both ways.

We can sit here and compare every single one of them, but that would take WAAAAAAY too long.

now as far as the pacing goes..... I actually agree while having a fairly big "but".

While I think 2003 has some unnecessary elements that could have been cut out, and I agree that it lacks the rhythm that brotherhood has. I also think so many of the plot points from the start of brotherhood were a complete disgrace to how good they were in 2003. Everyone says the reason brotherhood rushed through them is because 2003 had already adapted those parts, but that's just a reason for why it's worse. It's still worse.

Specially the first arc with the false priest, that was originally my least favourite part of the entire story when I had seen brotherhood, so I was blown away by just how much better that arc was in the 2003 version.

But despite that, overall brotherhood does have cleaner pacing, so that is one of the things that I agree brotherhood does better than 2003.

Gashadokur0 said:
FMAB surpasses FMA in animation quality, featuring smoother and more detailed visuals that enhance the overall aesthetic appeal. Its soundtrack, perfectly complement the mood and intensity of each scene, elevating the experience. Furthermore, FMAB fighting scenes was masterfully executed, showcasing a wider array of alchemical techniques and combat styles with choreography. Whereas it's a fact FMA has no exciting fights.

I do think 2003 has some great fights, but overall I agree that brotherhood's action is far superior, so I don't think that's worth arguing.

What you fail to mention here is that while brotherhood does have better animation, 2003 has a far stronger sense of atmosphere which perfectly complements it's darker tone. Given what 2003 is, that atmosphere is as important to it, as the action is to brotherhood.

I also think while both version have a fantastic soundtrack, the ost from 2003 is even better. like have you actually listened to it? Both soundtracks are absolutely amazing, brotherhood's is this grand orchestra of an epic tale, while 2003s is this personal, deeply melancholic sound about two brothers trying to get back their body. This is a funny thing that everyone mentions, but Ironically, 2003 is more about brotherhood, than brotherhood.

Gashadokur0 said:
FMA took liberties with the storyline, leading to an ending that left much to be desired in terms of logical consistency. Furthermore, it neglected to fully leverage the capabilities of key characters, missing out on opportunities to dig deeper into their significance within the story. Which on the other hand, FMAB achieve perfectly.

The ending left you wanting more, but not because of logical consistency. I still have no idea what you are talking about.

That more also exists, it's the movie. It's sadly really rushed with so many of the things it's trying to do. but for what it's worth, it's not open ended anymore.

And I said this before, but for every character that was better used in brotherhood, there is one that was used better in 2003, again. so many things that made 2003 so good, are missing in brotherhood, and vise versa. It's not as simple as "this was good in brotherhood but 2003 didn't have it". That's a very biased way to look at it.

Gashadokur0 said:
Now about the villains, the Brotherhood homunculi are pretty perfect representations of their respective sins compare to FMA.

What?

Absolutely not, this is just absolutely wrong in every way possible. This is the first point you have made that I think is just straight up wrong.

The sloth of 2003 is a mother who tries to erase her children so she doesn't have to take responsibility of them or her feelings.

Lust is a girl who died in love, only to regain some of that humanity through that love. Now only living to fully regain her humanity.

Wrath is a child angry at his mother and the world for not wanting him.

Envy is envious that his father doesn't care for him unlike his half brother Edward.

Greed is a tricky one, cause 2003's is just a better version of the first greed in brotherhood. but also the second greed of brotherhood is peak, so.... yeah. but the first greeds are literally different versions of the same character, so if you complain, it also applies to brotherhood.

Gluttony is basically the same in both versions.

and pride..... ok I can see the argument for the pride in 2003 in being half baked relative to the brotherhood version. I'll give you that one.

But as for the rest, I think sloth, lust, and envy better represent their sin in 2003, greed, gluttony, and wrath are about the same in both version, and pride is better in brotherhood.

So no I absolutely do not think brotherhood's versions represent their sings better, are you kidding me? specially with lust, the 2003 lust is so above and beyond the brotherhood lust, That I would not even put them in the same league. It's not even close to being close to being close.

Gashadokur0 said:
Father's a pretty good villain, but he's a bit more typical. Dante is very unique but uniqueness does not mean better. Father's non-human nature sets him apart, leading him to pursue knowledge and freedom in an unconventional and misguided manner. His ambitions transcend the material and emotional realms, making him a fascinating character with out-of-this-world aspirations. Despite his noble goals, his methods are severely flawed, showcasing his confusion and moral corruption. The extraction of his own sins to create the homunculi further distances him from humanity, leaving him singularly focused on his ultimate objective. This relentless pursuit leaves him devoid of earthly distractions, consumed by his singular purpose without considering the broader aspects of life. Ultimately, Father's existence is defined by his unwavering dedication to his goal, even if he lacks a true understanding of what comes after its attainment. Maybe you like the villain's in FMA better because of the darker tone.

Oh believe me, you have not analysed father as much as me, none of these are new information to me. In fact I can write you an essay five times longer than this about why other people think father is a good villain. I actually have a ready to go mini essay that I have written a long time ago, due to how many times I have had to explain why I think father is a horrible villain.

From his origin to his death, he's a walking plot hole with a 1 dimensional personality. I don't think I need to justify calling a generic none-human with a god complex basic. Since that is as cliche as it gets, yes he matches the themes, and it makes sense for why he is like that. but I just want to put in perspective that even without the flaws he is a generic villain.

1. His origin: everything in fmab follows the rules of alchemy, the laws of alchemy are at the core of this show. The intro for the first 20 or so episodes is about these rules, the mystery is unsolved by it, and everything makes sense in its context. Except father that is. Made from blood of a human slave? That is just the author giving 0 reasoning for something they can't explain. If the rules weren't present for every single other element, I would just write it of as not important. But the show clearly puts focus on these rules, so yes it is very important that the very existence of father doesn't have a proper explanation.

They made a living entity from blood, that has knowledge that humans do not have. How is that being possible something that isn't worth explaining?

2. he's stupid: he is meant to be a higher being than humans. Yes his downfall is that of pride (witch is problem by itself that I'll get to later) , but the problem is the humans only bested him, not because he didn't see them as equals, but because his way of thinking and specially fighting is extremely dumb. Like how at the last fight he wasted half the very limited energy he had on a massive explosion with a handful of people as targets, witch killed none of them! The problem isn't that they didn't die, the problem is father doing something that is dumb by every human standard. Even his "plan" worked and he killed every target, that still would have been a complete waste. Hence why it's not just from underestimating them, it's also extremely idiotic.

He was meant be far smarter than humans, that was how he got his body, by outsmarting the king! You can't just make this character do the stupidest thing, and use his god-complex and pride as an excuse. Not seeing your enemy as an equal is not the same as fighting like an idiot.

And finally, he still has the 7sins: you don't need to be smart to realize fathers character is anything but empty of things like pride, greed or wrath. A lot of his actions come from those places, I can't just except that he doesn't have those sins, when his action are proving the opposite.

There are more, another huge problem is the final fight being EXTREMELY plot convenient to a point that the last minutes of it are just plain stupid if you think about it more than 5 seconds.

Oh know the barely standing father is slowly approaching and everyone is knocked out, guess we have to sacrifice Alphonse to give Edwards arm back so he can punch father to death because of how weak he is. Oh look everyone who was knocked out 10 seconds ago is back up to cheer for Edward!

Listen I get it, it all works out at the end. and that's why no one talks about it. But if this stupid of a plot point had a lasting affect. Like if Alponse actually was gone because of this, people would be tearing this scene apart for it's stupidity.

So no, I don't like Dante more "because she is darker"

She is just as thematically relevant as father, while not having any of the problems that I have with father.

But there is more:

- Unlike father's perspective on life being the most generic philosophy that every god complex character has Dante's philosophy is actually interesting. He even makes Edward to be a hypocrite. The same guy who was blabbering about believing in something like god being idiotic, now refusing to except that the law of equivalent exchange isn't always true. Making her ideal an actual battle of perspectives against Edward

- While father had a connection with Hohenheim, to the brother's he was basically just the big bad. but in 2003, the brothers have a personal reason to hate her, because of how she manipulated the homunculus version of their mother.

- her theme song is so fucking good

Gashadokur0 said:
Fmab is how the anime was intended to be watch with it comedic aspect and more Shonen formula. While FMA may have been darker and more philosophically driven, if that's the reason you prefer it over Brotherhood, then that's valid.

FMAB was meant to be that, but FMA wasn't. they are different stories. And even then I would argue the comedy was one of the flaws of brotherhood to begin with.

Gashadokur0 said:
However, it's important to acknowledge that FMAB is still superior overall.

What you did here is point out the things that brotherhood does better than 2003, a lot of which are true, while failing to see the things that 2003 does better. You are massively misrepresenting the qualities of 2003 by doing so.

By doing this, most of your points are "true". But they make an incomplete argument.
@APolygons2
APolygons2 said:
- You say that brotherhood follows the manga more closely, and I don't believe that matters. FMA 2003 is essentially a different story, even from the very first few episodes it was setting up for a different narrative, with the "truth" of brotherhood being replaced with flashes of the real world. I'm not sure if we see the truth in the manga too, but I am sure the flashes are a 2003 only thing. It was always meant to go a different direction.

While I understand your perspective, I still believe that the faithfulness of FMAB to the manga is significant. The manga's storyline is widely praised for its intricate plot, well-developed characters, and satisfying conclusion. By closely following the manga, FMAB ensures that these elements are faithfully represented, providing a coherent and complete narrative that aligns with the author's original vision.

On the other hand, FMA certainly offers a unique experience with its divergent storyline and philosophical undertones. However, the deviation from the source material means it lacks the comprehensive world-building and character arcs that make the manga and FMAB so compelling. In my view, the authenticity and richness of the manga's story, as captured by FMAB, offer a more fulfilling and cohesive experience.

APolygons2 said:
The tonal whiplash of brotherhood with the comedy was something that I always disliked to begin with. It only lessens the serious moments. Even when I had only seen brotherhood, I never watched it for the comedy. So the constant jokes that were meant to "balance out" the darkness, only lessened the experience. Why would you want to lessen the strongest aspect of the show?

I don't remember fmab as the show with short Edward jokes, I remember it as this epic narrative of two brothers trying to fix the mistake of trying bring their dead mom back to life, a father dying on duty because he was too good at his job, soldiers feel of regret from killing innocent people in war, the fucking dog!!!!

I don't want these things to be "balanced out". And let's not lie about this, 2003 still has comedy. It's just not as much as brotherhood's. They didn't completely take them out or anything. They just toned them down, which I absolutely believe to be a good thing.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the argument that FMAB comedic moments detract from its strongest aspects. In fact, I believe quite the opposite. I love how the comedic elements contribute to the overall narrative and enhance the viewing experience. Firstly, it's important to recognize that humor is a versatile storytelling tool that can serve various purposes beyond mere entertainment. In FMAB, the comedic moments are strategically place into the narrative to provide relief from the tension and darkness inherent in the story. Without the comedic relief, the show would be like a pressure cooker ready to explode. The humor offers a much-needed breather, allowing us to catch our breath and stay engaged with the story without feeling overwhelmed by the darkness. The comedy between characters like Edward, Alphonse, and Roy Mustang not only adds depth to their personalities but also strengthens their bonds as comrades and friends. These lighter moments humanize the characters, making them more relatable and endearing to us, which in turn fosters a stronger emotional connection between us and the story. Additionally, the juxtaposition of humor with more serious themes serves to highlight the complexity of the narrative. By seamlessly blending moments of comedy with moments of tragedy, It creates a nuanced and multi-dimensional portrayal of its characters and their world. I believe this tonal diversity adds depth to the storytelling, allowing for a richer exploration of themes such as sacrifice, redemption, and the consequences of ambition. So, why would you want to lessen the strongest aspect of the show? Because without the humor, FMAB wouldn't be the epic masterpiece that it is. It's the perfect blend of heart, humor, and humanity that makes FMAB a timeless classic. While you may prefer a more serious and somber tone in FMA, I believe that the inclusion of humor in FMAB is a deliberate and effective storytelling choice.

APolygons2 said:

Then you talk about the world building, which I half agree with, Yes the inclusion of characters from other countries adds to it. and that would normally put brotherhood above, even if it's a fairly small difference. But on the other hand, the truth of a 2003 is a far bigger piece of world building than the truth in brotherhood. It's WAY bigger of a piece of world building that is both extremely interesting, and well explored. In fact, the "real world"s relation was one of the very few things that didn't feel rushed in the movie.

Then you start talking about the things that are in brotherhood, and are good in brotherhood, that are missing in 2003. Which is true, but that is not a one sided argument. Lust's backstory which was one of the most powerful and well put together parts of 2003 is missing in brotherhood, and replaced by a version of lust that is extremely flat, Izumi's attempt to bring her kid back to life, is far more explored in the story, adding so much to her character in comparison to brotherhood. Sloth being the reincarnation of the brother's mother, made for some extremely powerful moments. Tucker who was originally a very solid plot device, is still that and so much more as a fully fleshed out character.

There are way too many differences between the two casts to compare all of them here. So that's not what I'm trying to do. My point here is that, both version of the story have good characters, arcs, and relations that are missing from the other. It is true that brotherhood has good elements that are missing in 2003 like the few things that you named, but that goes both ways.

We can sit here and compare every single one of them, but that would take WAAAAAAY too long.

FMAB excel in certain areas where 2003 falls short, such as the inclusion of certain characters and plot points, but I acknowledge that 2003 also has its own strengths that are missing in FMAB. However the pros that FMAB has over FMA are just way too big like world-building differences. While I like the significance of the truth concept in 2003 and its exploration of the real world, I firmly believe that FMAB is miles ahead in world building. I believe that bringing in characters from different countries really pulls up the depth and richness of the world. It's like opening up a whole new world of cultures, politics, and ideas. And you know what? That broadens the story's horizons, making it feel more interconnected and expansive. With FMAB, we get to explore new territories, meet new factions, and dive into historical events that paint a fuller picture of the world our characters live in. FMAB delves into the intricacies of alchemy in greater detail, providing a deeper exploration of its principles, practices, and consequences.

Lust's Backstory: Sure, 2003 delves deeper into Lust's past, but FMAB still gives her character layers and intrigue, just in a different way. Exploring the character of homunculi in the context of shonen manga doesn't offer a wide array of directions which FMAB follows. Lust dying in FMAB sets off a whole domino effect. First, Gluttony loses it when he hears Mustang's name, chomping down on Ed, Ling, and even Envy. So, Ed's forced to pull a risky move and open the Gate of Truth to find Al's body. That kicks off a crazy chain reaction, leading Ed facing off with Father. In Brotherhood, sticking close to the manga means Lust's role is pretty streamlined. She's there to give Roy a reality check, mess with Havoc's day, and set Gluttony on a path of vengeance. Meanwhile, the 2003 version had to flex its creative muscles, beefing up Lust's storyline to fill in the gaps left by the source material.

FMA offers a more enigmatic and mysterious Izumi, leaving some aspects of her character and backstory to interpretation. This ambiguity adds layers to her persona, contributing to an air of intrigue surrounding her character. We don't get all the nitty-gritty details about her past and motivations. FMAB gives her the spotlight she truly deserves. We get to delve deeper into her past, her struggles, and her badassery, making her a more fleshed-out character overall. Izumi gets to shine with the same fierce determination and unwavering principles that made her a legend in the original source material.

Sloth in FMAB nails it as the epitome of laziness and lethargy. Sloth was arguably the simplest and most straight-forward out of all the Homunculi. He fully embodied his aspect of sloth and laziness, having only a desire for sleep and general immobility. Even in dangerous combat situations where his life was threatened, he was very reluctant to fight simply because it was too much work, even remarking that the act of living was also a pain.

Despite this he always followed orders from the other Homunculi and Father, showing that his indolence did not hinder him from fulfilling his duty. That did not stop him from voicing his opinions though, as he was shown to constantly complain about how much work he had to do.

Slow and simple-minded, Sloth did not have much preference for strategy or complex thought. He showed few emotions other than being discontent, though he was shown to be frustrated and angered when others prevented him from doing his tasks (and thus sleeping). These rare occasions would be the few times he would use his full strength and become dedicated to fulfilling his task, even showing something like determination to kill General Armstrong. The portrayal of Sloth in FMA deviates significantly from traditional interpretations of the sin. In the series, Sloth takes the form of a water-based entity that the Elric brothers inadvertently bring to life. Dante, then assumes custody of Sloth and places her near King Bradley. These departures from conventional representations of Sloth introduce inaccuracies and creative liberties into the character's portrayal.

APolygons2 said:
While I think 2003 has some unnecessary elements that could have been cut out, and I agree that it lacks the rhythm that brotherhood has. I also think so many of the plot points from the start of brotherhood were a complete disgrace to how good they were in 2003. Everyone says the reason brotherhood rushed through them is because 2003 had already adapted those parts, but that's just a reason for why it's worse. It's still worse.

Specially the first arc with the false priest, that was originally my least favourite part of the entire story when I had seen brotherhood, so I was blown away by just how much better that arc was in the 2003 version.

But despite that, overall brotherhood does have cleaner pacing, so that is one of the things that I agree brotherhood does better than 2003.

For the first arc with the false priest, I get that it might not have hit the mark for you in FMAB, but for me, it still delivers some solid storytelling and character development. Plus, FMAB introduces some new elements and plot twists that keep things fresh and exciting, even for fans of the 2003 version. FMAB might rush through some plot points early on, but that's because it assumes people have already seen the 2003 version and are familiar with those story beats.

APolygons2 said:
What you fail to mention here is that while brotherhood does have better animation, 2003 has a far stronger sense of atmosphere which perfectly complements it's darker tone. Given what 2003 is, that atmosphere is as important to it, as the action is to brotherhood.

I also think while both version have a fantastic soundtrack, the ost from 2003 is even better. like have you actually listened to it? Both soundtracks are absolutely amazing, brotherhood's is this grand orchestra of an epic tale, while 2003s is this personal, deeply melancholic sound about two brothers trying to get back their body. This is a funny thing that everyone mentions, but Ironically, 2003 is more about brotherhood, than brotherhood.

FMAB doesn't rely on a dark, edgy soundtrack because it's not that kind of anime. FMAB soundtrack boasts a diverse range of musical styles and genres, catering to a wide array of scenes and moods. From grand orchestral pieces to hauntingly beautiful melodies, each track contributes to the overall atmosphere and tone of the series, enhancing immersion and engagement.

APolygons2 said:
The ending left you wanting more, but not because of logical consistency. I still have no idea what you are talking about.

That more also exists, it's the movie. It's sadly really rushed with so many of the things it's trying to do. but for what it's worth, it's not open ended anymore.

And I said this before, but for every character that was better used in brotherhood, there is one that was used better in 2003, again. so many things that made 2003 so good, are missing in brotherhood, and vise versa. It's not as simple as "this was good in brotherhood but 2003 didn't have it". That's a very biased way to look at it.

Honestly, I was really let down by the ending of FMAB. I mean, jumping to another world? And Al forgetting everything? It just felt like a letdown after all the buildup. And the villains? Envy goes through the gate, Gluttony tries to take down his boss, and then poof, they're gone. What happened to all that tension? Weren't they supposed to be scared of her, considering how powerful she was supposed to be? And Wrath? He's just chilling like nothing happened. The concept of parallel worlds in FMAB didn't sit well with me; it felt rather nonsensical and out of place. In FMAB, the central theme revolves around Ed and Al discovering that despite the loss of their parents, they are not alone. They come to understand that they have a family among the people who love and support them. The series highlights Ed's journey of growth, as he learns to lean on others for help, love, and support, ultimately realizing the strength of the bonds he shares with his newfound family. The fact that you need to watch a movie to gain a deeper understanding of the ending of FMA only adds to the disappointment. FMA ending is that it left several plot threads unresolved, leaving us feeling unsatisfied and confused. Additionally, some fans felt that certain character arcs were rushed or lacked proper closure, diminishing the emotional impact of the conclusion.

APolygons2 said:
What?

Absolutely not, this is just absolutely wrong in every way possible. This is the first point you have made that I think is just straight up wrong.

The sloth of 2003 is a mother who tries to erase her children so she doesn't have to take responsibility of them or her feelings.

Lust is a girl who died in love, only to regain some of that humanity through that love. Now only living to fully regain her humanity.

Envy is envious that his father doesn't care for him unlike his half brother Edward.

Greed is a tricky one, cause 2003's is just a better version of the first greed in brotherhood. but also the second greed of brotherhood is peak, so.... yeah. but the first greeds are literally different versions of the same character, so if you complain, it also applies to brotherhood.

and pride..... ok I can see the argument for the pride in 2003 in being half baked relative to the brotherhood version. I'll give you that one.

But as for the rest, I think sloth, lust, and envy better represent their sin in 2003, greed, gluttony, and wrath are about the same in both version, and pride is better in brotherhood.

So no I absolutely do not think brotherhood's versions represent their sings better, are you kidding me? specially with lust, the 2003 lust is so above and beyond the brotherhood lust, That I would not even put them in the same league. It's not even close to being close to being close.

Envy, one of the homunculi, embodies the sin of envy with his shape-shifting abilities, making him particularly dangerous and cruel. Throughout the series, he revels in killing humans and manipulating their emotions, as demonstrated by his impersonation of Maes Hughes' wife before killing him. While many may have felt relieved when he died, I couldn't help but feel a sense of sympathy for him throughout his journey. I can't help but empathize with him, feeling the weight of his envy and longing for something more. When he finally realizes the source of his bitterness, it's like a punch to the gut. I hate seeing him suffer, knowing that he's trapped in this endless cycle of jealousy and despair. But at the same time, there's a sense of understanding, a recognition of the human experience in all its complexity.

Wrath is way better in FMAB. One significant factor is the depth of character development and backstory provided in FMAB. In FMAB, Wrath's origins as King Bradley, a political figurehead manipulated by the homunculi, add layers to his character, making him more complex and intriguing. Additionally, FMAB explores Wrath's internal conflict as he grapples with his humanity and his role as a homunculus, providing a deeper understanding of his motivations and actions.

Pride is like the rest of his brethren as he hates humans. He sees them as worthless and pathetic however when faced with the brutal truth that he himself relies on humans to remain stable he becomes angry and shows the emotions he claimed were ‘nonexistent’.

APolygons2 said:
What you did here is point out the things that brotherhood does better than 2003, a lot of which are true, while failing to see the things that 2003 does better. You are massively misrepresenting the qualities of 2003 by doing so.

By doing this, most of your points are "true". But they make an incomplete argument.

I get where you're coming from, and you're right that I mainly highlighted the strengths of FMAB without giving much attention to what FMA does better. However, when it comes down to it, FMAB still edges out FMA in overall quality. While FMA certainly has its strengths, FMAB's superior pacing, character development, and adherence to the original manga source material make it the better series in many fans' eyes. That being said, both versions have their merits, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. But if I had to choose, I'd still go with FMAB.
May 23, 5:10 AM
Apr 2024
Digimon should be considered an honorary mecha, especially tamers D-reaper arc
May 23, 6:06 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Gashadokur0
@APolygons2
APolygons2 said:

While I understand your perspective, I still believe that the faithfulness of FMAB to the manga is significant. The manga's storyline is widely praised for its intricate plot, well-developed characters, and satisfying conclusion. By closely following the manga, FMAB ensures that these elements are faithfully represented, providing a coherent and complete narrative that aligns with the author's original vision.

On the other hand, FMA certainly offers a unique experience with its divergent storyline and philosophical undertones. However, the deviation from the source material means it lacks the comprehensive world-building and character arcs that make the manga and FMAB so compelling. In my view, the authenticity and richness of the manga's story, as captured by FMAB, offer a more fulfilling and cohesive experience.

APolygons2 said:
The tonal whiplash of brotherhood with the comedy was something that I always disliked to begin with. It only lessens the serious moments. Even when I had only seen brotherhood, I never watched it for the comedy. So the constant jokes that were meant to "balance out" the darkness, only lessened the experience. Why would you want to lessen the strongest aspect of the show?

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the argument that FMAB comedic moments detract from its strongest aspects. In fact, I believe quite the opposite. I love how the comedic elements contribute to the overall narrative and enhance the viewing experience. Firstly, it's important to recognize that humor is a versatile storytelling tool that can serve various purposes beyond mere entertainment. In FMAB, the comedic moments are strategically place into the narrative to provide relief from the tension and darkness inherent in the story. Without the comedic relief, the show would be like a pressure cooker ready to explode. The humor offers a much-needed breather, allowing us to catch our breath and stay engaged with the story without feeling overwhelmed by the darkness. The comedy between characters like Edward, Alphonse, and Roy Mustang not only adds depth to their personalities but also strengthens their bonds as comrades and friends. These lighter moments humanize the characters, making them more relatable and endearing to us, which in turn fosters a stronger emotional connection between us and the story. Additionally, the juxtaposition of humor with more serious themes serves to highlight the complexity of the narrative. By seamlessly blending moments of comedy with moments of tragedy, It creates a nuanced and multi-dimensional portrayal of its characters and their world. I believe this tonal diversity adds depth to the storytelling, allowing for a richer exploration of themes such as sacrifice, redemption, and the consequences of ambition. So, why would you want to lessen the strongest aspect of the show? Because without the humor, FMAB wouldn't be the epic masterpiece that it is. It's the perfect blend of heart, humor, and humanity that makes FMAB a timeless classic. While you may prefer a more serious and somber tone in FMA, I believe that the inclusion of humor in FMAB is a deliberate and effective storytelling choice.

APolygons2 said:

Then you talk about the world building, which I half agree with, Yes the inclusion of characters from other countries adds to it. and that would normally put brotherhood above, even if it's a fairly small difference. But on the other hand, the truth of a 2003 is a far bigger piece of world building than the truth in brotherhood. It's WAY bigger of a piece of world building that is both extremely interesting, and well explored. In fact, the "real world"s relation was one of the very few things that didn't feel rushed in the movie.

FMAB excel in certain areas where 2003 falls short, such as the inclusion of certain characters and plot points, but I acknowledge that 2003 also has its own strengths that are missing in FMAB. However the pros that FMAB has over FMA are just way too big like world-building differences. While I like the significance of the truth concept in 2003 and its exploration of the real world, I firmly believe that FMAB is miles ahead in world building. I believe that bringing in characters from different countries really pulls up the depth and richness of the world. It's like opening up a whole new world of cultures, politics, and ideas. And you know what? That broadens the story's horizons, making it feel more interconnected and expansive. With FMAB, we get to explore new territories, meet new factions, and dive into historical events that paint a fuller picture of the world our characters live in. FMAB delves into the intricacies of alchemy in greater detail, providing a deeper exploration of its principles, practices, and consequences.

Lust's Backstory: Sure, 2003 delves deeper into Lust's past, but FMAB still gives her character layers and intrigue, just in a different way. Exploring the character of homunculi in the context of shonen manga doesn't offer a wide array of directions which FMAB follows. Lust dying in FMAB sets off a whole domino effect. First, Gluttony loses it when he hears Mustang's name, chomping down on Ed, Ling, and even Envy. So, Ed's forced to pull a risky move and open the Gate of Truth to find Al's body. That kicks off a crazy chain reaction, leading Ed facing off with Father. In Brotherhood, sticking close to the manga means Lust's role is pretty streamlined. She's there to give Roy a reality check, mess with Havoc's day, and set Gluttony on a path of vengeance. Meanwhile, the 2003 version had to flex its creative muscles, beefing up Lust's storyline to fill in the gaps left by the source material.

FMA offers a more enigmatic and mysterious Izumi, leaving some aspects of her character and backstory to interpretation. This ambiguity adds layers to her persona, contributing to an air of intrigue surrounding her character. We don't get all the nitty-gritty details about her past and motivations. FMAB gives her the spotlight she truly deserves. We get to delve deeper into her past, her struggles, and her badassery, making her a more fleshed-out character overall. Izumi gets to shine with the same fierce determination and unwavering principles that made her a legend in the original source material.

Sloth in FMAB nails it as the epitome of laziness and lethargy. Sloth was arguably the simplest and most straight-forward out of all the Homunculi. He fully embodied his aspect of sloth and laziness, having only a desire for sleep and general immobility. Even in dangerous combat situations where his life was threatened, he was very reluctant to fight simply because it was too much work, even remarking that the act of living was also a pain.

Despite this he always followed orders from the other Homunculi and Father, showing that his indolence did not hinder him from fulfilling his duty. That did not stop him from voicing his opinions though, as he was shown to constantly complain about how much work he had to do.

Slow and simple-minded, Sloth did not have much preference for strategy or complex thought. He showed few emotions other than being discontent, though he was shown to be frustrated and angered when others prevented him from doing his tasks (and thus sleeping). These rare occasions would be the few times he would use his full strength and become dedicated to fulfilling his task, even showing something like determination to kill General Armstrong. The portrayal of Sloth in FMA deviates significantly from traditional interpretations of the sin. In the series, Sloth takes the form of a water-based entity that the Elric brothers inadvertently bring to life. Dante, then assumes custody of Sloth and places her near King Bradley. These departures from conventional representations of Sloth introduce inaccuracies and creative liberties into the character's portrayal.

APolygons2 said:

For the first arc with the false priest, I get that it might not have hit the mark for you in FMAB, but for me, it still delivers some solid storytelling and character development. Plus, FMAB introduces some new elements and plot twists that keep things fresh and exciting, even for fans of the 2003 version. FMAB might rush through some plot points early on, but that's because it assumes people have already seen the 2003 version and are familiar with those story beats.

APolygons2 said:

FMAB doesn't rely on a dark, edgy soundtrack because it's not that kind of anime. FMAB soundtrack boasts a diverse range of musical styles and genres, catering to a wide array of scenes and moods. From grand orchestral pieces to hauntingly beautiful melodies, each track contributes to the overall atmosphere and tone of the series, enhancing immersion and engagement.

APolygons2 said:

Honestly, I was really let down by the ending of FMAB. I mean, jumping to another world? And Al forgetting everything? It just felt like a letdown after all the buildup. And the villains? Envy goes through the gate, Gluttony tries to take down his boss, and then poof, they're gone. What happened to all that tension? Weren't they supposed to be scared of her, considering how powerful she was supposed to be? And Wrath? He's just chilling like nothing happened. The concept of parallel worlds in FMAB didn't sit well with me; it felt rather nonsensical and out of place. In FMAB, the central theme revolves around Ed and Al discovering that despite the loss of their parents, they are not alone. They come to understand that they have a family among the people who love and support them. The series highlights Ed's journey of growth, as he learns to lean on others for help, love, and support, ultimately realizing the strength of the bonds he shares with his newfound family. The fact that you need to watch a movie to gain a deeper understanding of the ending of FMA only adds to the disappointment. FMA ending is that it left several plot threads unresolved, leaving us feeling unsatisfied and confused. Additionally, some fans felt that certain character arcs were rushed or lacked proper closure, diminishing the emotional impact of the conclusion.

APolygons2 said:
What?

Envy, one of the homunculi, embodies the sin of envy with his shape-shifting abilities, making him particularly dangerous and cruel. Throughout the series, he revels in killing humans and manipulating their emotions, as demonstrated by his impersonation of Maes Hughes' wife before killing him. While many may have felt relieved when he died, I couldn't help but feel a sense of sympathy for him throughout his journey. I can't help but empathize with him, feeling the weight of his envy and longing for something more. When he finally realizes the source of his bitterness, it's like a punch to the gut. I hate seeing him suffer, knowing that he's trapped in this endless cycle of jealousy and despair. But at the same time, there's a sense of understanding, a recognition of the human experience in all its complexity.

Wrath is way better in FMAB. One significant factor is the depth of character development and backstory provided in FMAB. In FMAB, Wrath's origins as King Bradley, a political figurehead manipulated by the homunculi, add layers to his character, making him more complex and intriguing. Additionally, FMAB explores Wrath's internal conflict as he grapples with his humanity and his role as a homunculus, providing a deeper understanding of his motivations and actions.

Pride is like the rest of his brethren as he hates humans. He sees them as worthless and pathetic however when faced with the brutal truth that he himself relies on humans to remain stable he becomes angry and shows the emotions he claimed were ‘nonexistent’.

APolygons2 said:

I get where you're coming from, and you're right that I mainly highlighted the strengths of FMAB without giving much attention to what FMA does better. However, when it comes down to it, FMAB still edges out FMA in overall quality. While FMA certainly has its strengths, FMAB's superior pacing, character development, and adherence to the original manga source material make it the better series in many fans' eyes. That being said, both versions have their merits, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. But if I had to choose, I'd still go with FMAB.
I won't get into too many points, because I agree with this:

Gashadokur0 said:

It is ultimately up for preference, I wholeheartedly agree that they both have qualities unique to them, and which one being better REALLY depends on what is your taste.

But I do want to talk about a handful of the points:

I know why it rushes through, but that doesn't fix the problem. It's just a reason for why the problem exists.

I don't hate the arc in brotherhood, I just think it was all over the place and lacked like half the themes. I've actually seen a video going over the differences between the manga and the 2 anime versions, and this arc was actually better in the manga as well. Brotherhood's version doesn't even follow the manga perfectly, it's kind of the worst version of the arc in relative to both the manga and 2003

It was also one of the arcs that the comedy literally half ruined for me. I personally don't think the comedy adds to the character writing as much as you say it does. 2003 still has comedy, it's just not as overused.

But I understand that, that is a preference thing, if the comedy didn't lessen the serious moments for you, that's great. I can't really tell you "no it did".

Gashadokur0 said:
FMAB doesn't rely on a dark, edgy soundtrack because it's not that kind of anime.

I didn't say it did. I just said I like the soundtrack for 2003 more. If brotherhood had the 2003 soundtrack, it would not fit it. and the brotherhood soundtrack would not fit 2003.

Both are great for what they are. This was not meant to be a complaint towards brotherhood.

Gashadokur0 said:

Dante was never that strong herself, she was decaying alchemist. 90% of her power was from her control over the homunculi, so the moments she lost them, she was basically powerless. I don't the tension just poofed. The fight reached it's conclusion, Edward literally died once.

I think you are misunderstanding what the movie is. It's not a "something that you need to watch to understand the ending". It's a sequel that takes place after the ending.

Now the movie has it's own issues, but it fixes most of the other problems that you mention here. some character arcs were indeed rushed.... in the movie. I aside from maybe Bradley I can't think of a character arc being rushed in the main 2003 series. Maybe you could give me an example on that one.

it felt rather nonsensical and out of place.

Why? It was set up as a mystery from the start, and we already have established in the story that human souls can create energy with the philosopher stone.

So it's actually a really satisfying and logical answer to how alchemy is possible and where it's energy comes from. In brotherhood the reason is just "a gate" that exists and does it. There isn't really anything to it beyond that, which I guess works, but I find the 2003 answer to be way more satisfying.

Gashadokur0 said:

You didn't really separate versions here, and honestly this applies to both versions of Envy so I can't tell lol

Gashadokur0 said:

I can see the argument behind wrath being better. I do love wrath in brotherhood. If we're talking pure character wise, I actually agree with you. I was talking about how well they represent their sin, otherwise yes I love brotherhood's Bradley way more than the wrath of 2003.

Gashadokur0 said:

Here's the thing.

Gluttony's anger over lust's death had an even bigger affect on the story in 2003. He literally killed dante because of it. So you can not use that as a point for why lust is just as good in a different way... cause it also happens in 2003.

But I agree, lust is a good plot device... but that's all she is in brotherhood, let's not mix up a well utilized character and a good one. Lust serves her purpose in brotherhood, and works well within the plot. but as far as her character on it's own goes? she is pretty damn 1 dimensional.

In contrast, I think she is one of the best characters in the show in 2003.

Gashadokur0 said:
That being said, both versions have their merits, and it ultimately comes down to personal preference. But if I had to choose, I'd still go with FMAB.

But yeah going back to this. I agree. I don't think anyone can make an argument for which one is "objectively" better. It is really ultimately up to what you consider to be more important qualities.

There is a video essay on youtube, of a guy who likes both equally, analysing the strengths of both of them in a 6 hour long compilation. He also points out how they are different from the manga. you would be surprised at how many things brotherhood cut from the manga.

I think it's worth watching if you're interested in the topic. but watch the movie before that, it's rushed, and half asses some of the character arcs, but it solves a lot of the problems that you have with the ending, and it's not a "bad" movie at all.
APolygons2May 23, 6:12 AM
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 23, 6:29 AM

Apr 2024
Protagonists need to stop forgiving their mortal enemies, kill them off in cold blood and then have a good time.
May 23, 6:36 AM

May 2024
Reply to AshuAmbrose
Tensura and Overlord are by far the most overrated shows ever made.
Both are simply the worst examples of "Brain rot written by an untalented idiot finding success due to the fans' absolute lack of media literacy".
@AshuAmbrose I would not use the word overrated but I agree that That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is a bad show. Here are several reasons why I considered it to be lacking:

1- Overpowered Protagonist: When I first started watching "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime," I was intrigued by the unique premise of an ordinary person being reborn as a slime in a fantasy world. It seemed like a fresh take on the isekai genre, which has become saturated with similar stories. However, as I delved deeper into the series, I began to notice a recurring issue that significantly affected my enjoyment of the story: Rimuru's overpowered nature.

From the outset, Rimuru is granted an array of abilities that make him nearly invincible. The Great Sage skill, which allows him to analyze and understand almost anything instantly, combined with Predator, a skill that lets him absorb the powers and attributes of anything he consumes, sets the stage for an unstoppable protagonist. While it's initially exciting to see him grow stronger and acquire new abilities, this rapid power escalation quickly diminishes any sense of tension or challenge.

One of the primary elements that make a story engaging is the protagonist's struggle to overcome obstacles. In many fantasy and adventure stories, the hero's journey is fraught with difficulties, requiring them to grow, adapt, and sometimes fail before ultimately succeeding. This journey creates a connection between the audience and the character, as we root for them to overcome their challenges. However, in Rimuru's case, his overwhelming power means that he rarely faces any significant hurdles. Whenever a problem arises, he can usually solve it with ease, thanks to his vast array of skills.

This lack of genuine conflict is particularly evident in battles. In most fantasy stories, battles are tense and thrilling, with the outcome uncertain until the very end. The hero often has to rely on their wits, their allies, and sometimes sheer luck to prevail. However, Rimuru's battles tend to be one-sided affairs. No matter how formidable the opponent, Rimuru always seems to have the perfect skill or strategy to defeat them without breaking a sweat. This predictability drains the excitement from these encounters, making them feel more like routine exercises than epic clashes.

Moreover, Rimuru's power not only affects the battles but also the overall narrative. Because he can solve almost any problem effortlessly, the stakes in the story feel artificially low. Whether it's building a nation, negotiating with other races, or dealing with threats, Rimuru's abilities ensure that everything goes smoothly. There's never a real sense of danger or urgency because we know that Rimuru can handle anything that comes his way. This predictability makes the plot feel shallow and less engaging.

Another aspect worth mentioning is how Rimuru's power influences his relationships with other characters. In many stories, the protagonist's growth is mirrored by the development of their relationships. Allies become friends, friends become family, and these bonds are tested and strengthened through shared struggles. However, Rimuru's near-invincibility creates a power imbalance that affects these dynamics. His allies and subordinates look up to him with unwavering loyalty and admiration, but this often feels one-dimensional because they rarely contribute meaningfully to overcoming challenges. Rimuru's ability to handle everything himself leaves little room for other characters to shine or grow.

Additionally, Rimuru's overpowered nature impacts the themes of the story. One of the central themes of "Reincarnated as a Slime" is the idea of building a community and fostering cooperation between different races and species. While this is a noble and heartwarming theme, Rimuru's dominance undermines it to some extent. The success of his nation-building efforts often hinges on his abilities rather than the collective efforts of his people. This diminishes the sense of unity and cooperation that the story aims to convey.

The issue of an overpowered protagonist is not unique to "Reincarnated as a Slime." It's a common trope in many isekai and fantasy stories. However, what sets apart well-executed stories from less engaging ones is how they balance the protagonist's power with meaningful challenges and character development. For example, in "One Punch Man," Saitama's overwhelming strength is balanced by his existential crisis and search for meaning, creating a compelling narrative despite his invincibility. Unfortunately, "Reincarnated as a Slime" struggles to find this balance.

To be fair, there are moments in the series where Rimuru faces moral and ethical dilemmas, which add some depth to his character. However, these moments are often overshadowed by the ease with which he handles physical and tactical challenges. The lack of a credible threat or significant hardship makes it difficult to fully invest in his journey.

Furthermore, Rimuru's power level also impacts the world-building of the series. In a well-crafted fantasy world, the protagonist's abilities are often balanced by the rules and limitations of that world. However, Rimuru's skills frequently bend or outright break these rules. This inconsistency can make the world feel less immersive and believable. When the protagonist can bypass the established norms and limitations of the world, it reduces the sense of wonder and discovery that is essential to the fantasy genre.

2- Predictable Plot: One of the primary issues with the storyline is its formulaic pattern. From the outset, it becomes clear that the narrative follows a very structured and repetitive approach: Rimuru encounters a new challenge, he quickly overcomes it using his overpowered abilities, and then he gains new allies or resources as a result. While this formula can be effective in small doses, the series relies on it too heavily, causing the plot to become predictable.

Each new arc typically introduces a seemingly insurmountable threat or obstacle, only for Rimuru to effortlessly resolve it. Whether it's a powerful enemy, a political dilemma, or a natural disaster, the pattern remains the same. Rimuru's vast array of skills and powers ensures that he can handle any situation without breaking a sweat. This lack of genuine struggle or tension makes it difficult to stay invested in the story. As a viewer, I found myself anticipating the resolution almost as soon as the conflict was introduced, which significantly diminished the impact of these moments.

Moreover, the supporting characters and their development often follow predictable trajectories as well. New characters are introduced, usually with some initial conflict or misunderstanding, but they quickly come to admire and ally with Rimuru. This repeated pattern of conflict and quick resolution leaves little room for meaningful character growth or complex relationships. Instead of seeing characters evolve organically through their experiences, they often become part of Rimuru's ever-expanding entourage with little resistance or depth.

Another aspect that contributes to the predictability is the lack of lasting consequences. In many engaging stories, the protagonist's actions have significant and sometimes unpredictable repercussions. These consequences add layers of complexity and realism to the narrative, making it feel more dynamic and engaging. However, in "Reincarnated as a Slime," Rimuru's decisions rarely lead to lasting negative outcomes. Problems are resolved too neatly and quickly, with any potential fallout being addressed almost immediately. This absence of enduring consequences further undermines the stakes and tension within the story.

The world-building, while initially intriguing, also falls into a predictable pattern. Each new area or group that Rimuru encounters seems to follow a similar script: initial hostility or challenge, followed by Rimuru demonstrating his power or benevolence, leading to a peaceful resolution and new alliances. This repetitive approach to world-building makes the fantasy setting feel less vibrant and diverse. Instead of a rich tapestry of different cultures and conflicts, the world begins to feel like a series of similar challenges waiting to be conquered by Rimuru.

Furthermore, the overarching plot lacks significant twists or surprises. While there are moments of intrigue and some interesting subplots, the main storyline often feels linear and straightforward. The lack of unexpected developments or narrative risks makes it easy to predict the overall direction of the story. This predictability reduces the excitement and anticipation that come with following a more unpredictable and daring narrative.
May 23, 6:47 AM
Dec 2023
Works like Juujika No Rokunin shouldn't be normalized. Not only are they depraved and borderline dangerous for the weak-minded, but most of them are also very badly written, Juujika being a perfect example.
May 23, 6:51 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to Gashadokur0
@LenRea Why did you delete your other comment about the guy who deletes your thread to gaslight you? Also, stop trying to make yourself seem intelligent because you're not. Your first response was better, you didn't have to delete it and give me a google answer.
@Gashadokur0 while true that my first response was more amusing, you shall gain enlightenment from the both responses. Be very grateful.
May 23, 7:20 AM
Nov 2020
Reply to Gashadokur0
@AshuAmbrose I would not use the word overrated but I agree that That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime is a bad show. Here are several reasons why I considered it to be lacking:

1- Overpowered Protagonist: When I first started watching "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime," I was intrigued by the unique premise of an ordinary person being reborn as a slime in a fantasy world. It seemed like a fresh take on the isekai genre, which has become saturated with similar stories. However, as I delved deeper into the series, I began to notice a recurring issue that significantly affected my enjoyment of the story: Rimuru's overpowered nature.

From the outset, Rimuru is granted an array of abilities that make him nearly invincible. The Great Sage skill, which allows him to analyze and understand almost anything instantly, combined with Predator, a skill that lets him absorb the powers and attributes of anything he consumes, sets the stage for an unstoppable protagonist. While it's initially exciting to see him grow stronger and acquire new abilities, this rapid power escalation quickly diminishes any sense of tension or challenge.

One of the primary elements that make a story engaging is the protagonist's struggle to overcome obstacles. In many fantasy and adventure stories, the hero's journey is fraught with difficulties, requiring them to grow, adapt, and sometimes fail before ultimately succeeding. This journey creates a connection between the audience and the character, as we root for them to overcome their challenges. However, in Rimuru's case, his overwhelming power means that he rarely faces any significant hurdles. Whenever a problem arises, he can usually solve it with ease, thanks to his vast array of skills.

This lack of genuine conflict is particularly evident in battles. In most fantasy stories, battles are tense and thrilling, with the outcome uncertain until the very end. The hero often has to rely on their wits, their allies, and sometimes sheer luck to prevail. However, Rimuru's battles tend to be one-sided affairs. No matter how formidable the opponent, Rimuru always seems to have the perfect skill or strategy to defeat them without breaking a sweat. This predictability drains the excitement from these encounters, making them feel more like routine exercises than epic clashes.

Moreover, Rimuru's power not only affects the battles but also the overall narrative. Because he can solve almost any problem effortlessly, the stakes in the story feel artificially low. Whether it's building a nation, negotiating with other races, or dealing with threats, Rimuru's abilities ensure that everything goes smoothly. There's never a real sense of danger or urgency because we know that Rimuru can handle anything that comes his way. This predictability makes the plot feel shallow and less engaging.

Another aspect worth mentioning is how Rimuru's power influences his relationships with other characters. In many stories, the protagonist's growth is mirrored by the development of their relationships. Allies become friends, friends become family, and these bonds are tested and strengthened through shared struggles. However, Rimuru's near-invincibility creates a power imbalance that affects these dynamics. His allies and subordinates look up to him with unwavering loyalty and admiration, but this often feels one-dimensional because they rarely contribute meaningfully to overcoming challenges. Rimuru's ability to handle everything himself leaves little room for other characters to shine or grow.

Additionally, Rimuru's overpowered nature impacts the themes of the story. One of the central themes of "Reincarnated as a Slime" is the idea of building a community and fostering cooperation between different races and species. While this is a noble and heartwarming theme, Rimuru's dominance undermines it to some extent. The success of his nation-building efforts often hinges on his abilities rather than the collective efforts of his people. This diminishes the sense of unity and cooperation that the story aims to convey.

The issue of an overpowered protagonist is not unique to "Reincarnated as a Slime." It's a common trope in many isekai and fantasy stories. However, what sets apart well-executed stories from less engaging ones is how they balance the protagonist's power with meaningful challenges and character development. For example, in "One Punch Man," Saitama's overwhelming strength is balanced by his existential crisis and search for meaning, creating a compelling narrative despite his invincibility. Unfortunately, "Reincarnated as a Slime" struggles to find this balance.

To be fair, there are moments in the series where Rimuru faces moral and ethical dilemmas, which add some depth to his character. However, these moments are often overshadowed by the ease with which he handles physical and tactical challenges. The lack of a credible threat or significant hardship makes it difficult to fully invest in his journey.

Furthermore, Rimuru's power level also impacts the world-building of the series. In a well-crafted fantasy world, the protagonist's abilities are often balanced by the rules and limitations of that world. However, Rimuru's skills frequently bend or outright break these rules. This inconsistency can make the world feel less immersive and believable. When the protagonist can bypass the established norms and limitations of the world, it reduces the sense of wonder and discovery that is essential to the fantasy genre.

2- Predictable Plot: One of the primary issues with the storyline is its formulaic pattern. From the outset, it becomes clear that the narrative follows a very structured and repetitive approach: Rimuru encounters a new challenge, he quickly overcomes it using his overpowered abilities, and then he gains new allies or resources as a result. While this formula can be effective in small doses, the series relies on it too heavily, causing the plot to become predictable.

Each new arc typically introduces a seemingly insurmountable threat or obstacle, only for Rimuru to effortlessly resolve it. Whether it's a powerful enemy, a political dilemma, or a natural disaster, the pattern remains the same. Rimuru's vast array of skills and powers ensures that he can handle any situation without breaking a sweat. This lack of genuine struggle or tension makes it difficult to stay invested in the story. As a viewer, I found myself anticipating the resolution almost as soon as the conflict was introduced, which significantly diminished the impact of these moments.

Moreover, the supporting characters and their development often follow predictable trajectories as well. New characters are introduced, usually with some initial conflict or misunderstanding, but they quickly come to admire and ally with Rimuru. This repeated pattern of conflict and quick resolution leaves little room for meaningful character growth or complex relationships. Instead of seeing characters evolve organically through their experiences, they often become part of Rimuru's ever-expanding entourage with little resistance or depth.

Another aspect that contributes to the predictability is the lack of lasting consequences. In many engaging stories, the protagonist's actions have significant and sometimes unpredictable repercussions. These consequences add layers of complexity and realism to the narrative, making it feel more dynamic and engaging. However, in "Reincarnated as a Slime," Rimuru's decisions rarely lead to lasting negative outcomes. Problems are resolved too neatly and quickly, with any potential fallout being addressed almost immediately. This absence of enduring consequences further undermines the stakes and tension within the story.

The world-building, while initially intriguing, also falls into a predictable pattern. Each new area or group that Rimuru encounters seems to follow a similar script: initial hostility or challenge, followed by Rimuru demonstrating his power or benevolence, leading to a peaceful resolution and new alliances. This repetitive approach to world-building makes the fantasy setting feel less vibrant and diverse. Instead of a rich tapestry of different cultures and conflicts, the world begins to feel like a series of similar challenges waiting to be conquered by Rimuru.

Furthermore, the overarching plot lacks significant twists or surprises. While there are moments of intrigue and some interesting subplots, the main storyline often feels linear and straightforward. The lack of unexpected developments or narrative risks makes it easy to predict the overall direction of the story. This predictability reduces the excitement and anticipation that come with following a more unpredictable and daring narrative.
@Gashadokur0 Even though the purpose of this thread was for you to prove me incorrect you ended up agreeing with me I guess we both don't agree with the majority on MAL regarding this anime.

Also, that was an excellent review of this series you pretty much surmised most of this series' problems.
May 23, 7:56 AM
Jan 2024
My take

why pcycological Genre is soo Underrated
nd old school anime are better than today's shit
May 23, 8:28 AM

Sep 2018
Natsume’s Book of Friends is the best anime of all time. I’m curious to see how you will prove this wrong (if you think it’s wrong) but I’m warning you, it won’t change my mind.
~Saeryen~Cure Cantata~

Invoke love, invoke hope, please heal everything!

May 23, 8:36 AM

May 2024
Reply to _YaoiShotaIncest
Yaoi Shota Incest is superior to any kind of fapping material
@_YaoiShotaIncest I disagree, Lolis ra*pe are better fapping materials.

Here are some of my favorites:

May 23, 12:47 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Gashadokur0
@DesuMaiden Because if no one tells you what's wrong, you'll live in ignorance your whole life, and that's just wrong.
@Gashadokur0 and I am right, almost all of the time. And other people are wrong most of the time. I don't bother debating with foolish people.
May 23, 12:54 PM

May 2024
Reply to eblf2013
Of all three Yoshitoshi ABe's anime I saw, Lain was the weakest one.
@eblf2013 I believe your approach to watching the anime might be off. Here are the steps to fully comprehend SEL:

1) Engage Actively: Instead of passively watching, engage actively with each episode. Pay close attention to details, symbolism, and character interactions.

2) Reflect on Themes: Take time to reflect on the overarching themes presented in SEL. Consider how they relate to technology, identity, and existentialism.

3) Analyze Symbolism: Analyze the symbolism and imagery used throughout the series. Look for recurring motifs and their significance to the narrative.

4) Research Background: Familiarize yourself with the background and context of the series. Learn about its creator, Chiaki J. Konaka, and the cultural influences that shaped SEL.

5) Discuss with Others: Engage in discussions with forums or online communities. Share your insights and interpretations, and consider alternative perspectives.

6) Revisit Episodes: Revisit episodes as needed to fully grasp complex plot points or thematic elements. SEL's layered storytelling may require multiple viewings for complete understanding.

7) Explore Supplementary Material: Seek out supplementary material, such as interviews, essays, or analysis videos, to deepen your understanding of SEL's themes and symbolism.

8) Consider Cultural Context: Consider the cultural context in which SEL was created. Reflect on how societal norms and technological advancements of the time influenced the series.

9) Embrace Ambiguity: Embrace the ambiguity and open-ended nature of SEL. Recognize that not all questions will have clear answers, and ambiguity is often intentional.

10) Trust Your Interpretation: Ultimately, trust your interpretation of SEL. Each person may perceive the series differently, and there is no definitive "correct" interpretation. Trust your insights and enjoy the journey of discovery.

You'll find reviews for each episode from 1 to 8, which you can watch after viewing each episode to enhance your understanding. It's crucial to watch the review after completing each episode.

Then when you finished these steps, you need to watch this review:

Then when you finished the review, watch the playthrough of the game.

In order to achieve a comprehensive understanding of "Serial Experiments Lain," it is imperative to meticulously repeat this process a minimum of 5 to 6 times. Only through such rigorous repetition can one truly appreciate the intricacies and beauty of this anime.
May 23, 2:04 PM

Apr 2018
It is illogical to evaluate a show with the same criteria that you use for one genre with another genre, or vice versa, and the same applies for any other genre. This is because each genre has its own conventions, purposes and expectations.

For example, an adult show seeks to explore mature and complex themes, often using dark humor, crude language or shocking situations. Their goal may be to provoke discomfort, reflection, or simply entertainment. On the other hand, a comedy show mainly seeks to make the audience laugh, using light humor, wordplay or satire. Likewise, a drama is not evaluated in the same way as a musical, an action movie is not compared to a documentary, and so on. Each genre has its own strengths and weaknesses, and critics must consider these aspects when evaluating a work.

Evaluating both literary genres with the same yardstick would not make sense. Criticism must be specific for what is being evaluated, taking into account its conventions, purposes, and expectations. Only then can a fair and accurate evaluation of any work of art be made.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
May 23, 3:02 PM

May 2024
Reply to Entity72
It's Unfair + illogical to detest BNHA just because of the fandom
@Entity72 That understandable but on one wants to like an anime that has this fandom.

May 23, 3:09 PM

May 2024
@Nugdud That's a rather idiotic question. I am Gashadokur0, it is clearly written above my avatar.
May 23, 5:10 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to Gashadokur0
@eblf2013 I believe your approach to watching the anime might be off. Here are the steps to fully comprehend SEL:

1) Engage Actively: Instead of passively watching, engage actively with each episode. Pay close attention to details, symbolism, and character interactions.

2) Reflect on Themes: Take time to reflect on the overarching themes presented in SEL. Consider how they relate to technology, identity, and existentialism.

3) Analyze Symbolism: Analyze the symbolism and imagery used throughout the series. Look for recurring motifs and their significance to the narrative.

4) Research Background: Familiarize yourself with the background and context of the series. Learn about its creator, Chiaki J. Konaka, and the cultural influences that shaped SEL.

5) Discuss with Others: Engage in discussions with forums or online communities. Share your insights and interpretations, and consider alternative perspectives.

6) Revisit Episodes: Revisit episodes as needed to fully grasp complex plot points or thematic elements. SEL's layered storytelling may require multiple viewings for complete understanding.

7) Explore Supplementary Material: Seek out supplementary material, such as interviews, essays, or analysis videos, to deepen your understanding of SEL's themes and symbolism.

8) Consider Cultural Context: Consider the cultural context in which SEL was created. Reflect on how societal norms and technological advancements of the time influenced the series.

9) Embrace Ambiguity: Embrace the ambiguity and open-ended nature of SEL. Recognize that not all questions will have clear answers, and ambiguity is often intentional.

10) Trust Your Interpretation: Ultimately, trust your interpretation of SEL. Each person may perceive the series differently, and there is no definitive "correct" interpretation. Trust your insights and enjoy the journey of discovery.

You'll find reviews for each episode from 1 to 8, which you can watch after viewing each episode to enhance your understanding. It's crucial to watch the review after completing each episode.

Then when you finished these steps, you need to watch this review:

Then when you finished the review, watch the playthrough of the game.

In order to achieve a comprehensive understanding of "Serial Experiments Lain," it is imperative to meticulously repeat this process a minimum of 5 to 6 times. Only through such rigorous repetition can one truly appreciate the intricacies and beauty of this anime.
@Gashadokur0 Hey that's nice to know, might rewatch it soon.

However while I said it was the weakest I still gave it a 7/10. That means it was good imo but I liked Haibane Renmei more. I like philosophical anime and analyzing stuff but I felt the execution in Lain was a bit off for what I prefer to watch.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
May 23, 11:45 PM
Jul 2018
I give OP a month before he quits MAL. His power level is too powerful for this place.
May 24, 12:12 AM
Jan 2022
Kingdom has Peak writing and even with their terrible animation The first 2 seasons are better than 99% of anime
May 24, 12:36 AM

May 2024
Reply to Ratris_Decision
Attack on Titan is a horribly written cliched tropy immature shonen abomination with one dimensional characters and only relies on plot armor with no story
@Ratris_Decision One of the reasons I think AOT stands out is its complex storyline. The plot is incredibly deep and intricate, with so many unexpected twists and turns that it constantly keeps me on my toes. I find myself completely engaged, always trying to guess what might happen next, but often being completely surprised by the direction the story takes.The way the story unfolds is masterful. Each season peels back layers of the world and the characters, revealing secrets and mysteries that I never saw coming. Just when I think I have a handle on what is going on, a new twist throws everything into question, making me rethink everything I thought I knew about the series. It's this element of surprise and the constant feeling of discovery that keeps me hooked, episode after episode. The characters in this series are exceptionally well developed and multi-dimensional and we get to see them grow and change in significant ways throughout the series. This evolution is one of the things that makes the series so compelling and relatable. When we first meet Eren, he is a passionate and somewhat impulsive young boy, driven by a desire to exterminate all Titans after witnessing the horrific death of his mother. But as the series progresses, Eren character becomes much more complex. He grapples with questions about freedom, the morality of his actions, and the nature of the world he lives in. Mikasa Ackerman is another character whose development is noteworthy. Initially, Mikasa is portrayed as a stoic and fiercely protective figure, especially towards Eren. Her backstory reveals a tragic past that shapes her strong, unyielding nature. However, as the story progresses we see more of her vulnerabilities and her struggle to find her identity beyond her role as Eren protector. Armin Arlert, on the other hand, starts off as a physically weak but intellectually sharp character. His journey is one of gaining confidence and realizing his own worth. Armin's strategic mind becomes one of humanity's greatest assets, and his growth from a timid boy into a brave and capable leader is amazing. Even secondary characters in AOT receive substantial development. Characters like Jean Kirstein, who starts as a self-centered and reluctant soldier evolves into a pragmatic and empathetic leader. His growth highlights the series theme of finding one's purpose and the often harsh realities of war and survival. What makes the character development in AOT so remarkable is how it is intertwined with the plot. The harsh, unforgiving world they live in forces these characters to confront their deepest fears, their values, and their understanding of right and wrong. The series doesn't shy away from showing the impact of trauma, the struggle for survival, and the moral grey areas that come with fighting for humanity future. The world building is even more amzing, right from the start, we are introduced to people living in fear behind enormous walls, trying to protect themselves from the terrifying Titans. The existence of these walls alone sparks curiosity about the world beyond and the history that led to such extreme measures. As the story progresses, we learn about the origins of the walls, the Titans, and the intricate history that has shaped this society. The political story within the walls is equally intriguing. We see a complex hierarchy and a corrupt government that prioritizes its own survival over the welfare of it people. This political tension adds another layer of depth to the story, showing that the struggle for humanity survival is not just against the Titans but also against internal strife and deception. It reminds me that in any society especially one under constant threat, politics can play a critical role in shaping people lives and destinies. AOT also explores different cultures and factions within its world. We are introduced to various groups, each with its own beliefs, motivations, and histories. For example, the Survey Corps, the Military Police, and the Garrison each have distinct roles and perspectives on how to deal with the Titan threat. As the characters venture outside, we learn about other civilizations and their struggles. This expansion of the world adds even more complexity to the story, highlighting that the fight against the Titans is part of a much larger conflict. The introduction of Marley and the Eldian history, for instance, unveils a whole new layer of political intrigue and historical contex. The use of Germanic names and influences, for example, gives the world a unique flavor that sets it apart from other fantasy settings. It's not just a story about giant monsters terrorizing humanity it is a more complex narrative that delves into profound issues like freedom vs oppression, the cost of war, and the essence of what it means to be human. The theme of freedom versus oppression is front and center. The characters live within enormous walls designed to protect them from the Titans but these walls also symbolize their confinement. Eren is driven by a burning desire for freedom. His wants to see the world beyond the walls resonates deeply with me because it's a universal human experience, to break free from restrictions and explore the unknown. This theme evolves as the story progresses, revealing the complexities of what true freedom means and the sacrifices required to attain it. We see the devastating physical and psychological toll it takes on soldiers and civilians alike. Characters are constantly grappling with loss, trauma, and the moral ambiguity of their actions. The series forces us to confront uncomfortable questions about the justification of violence and the true price of survival. For example Armin and Mikasa struggle with the consequences of their decisions in battle, highlighting the emotional burden that comes with war. The series blurs the lines between humans and Titans, especially as we learn more about the origins and true nature of the Titans. Characters like Eren and Zeke, who have the ability to transform into Titans, embody this ambiguity. The conflict between the Eldians and the Marleyans is rooted in a history of violence and oppression that spans generations. This historical context adds layers to the story, making us reflect on how past injustices shape present conflicts. It’s this complexity and thoughtfulness that make AOT such a powerful and enduring work of art for me.
May 24, 1:27 AM
Oct 2023
My takes = 1) AOT is the best anime of all time
2) JJK, Chainsaw Man and Demon slayer are a bit overhyped, especially JJK
3) Mushoku Tensei is the best isekai anime
4) Bleach is the most underrated anime of all time
May 24, 2:35 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to Gashadokur0
@Animeistaken History is replete with examples demonstrating that great animation does not necessarily make for a great anime. A quintessential example that illustrates this point is God of High School. While its animation is top-notch, the anime itself is lacking in storytelling and character complexity. It's a classic case of style over substance.
@Gashadokur0 Kingdom's first 2 seasons Have anlot of Bad CGI(especially The first season). However The storytelling is so amazing they are Peak anime. So this is a reverse of God of highschool.
May 24, 3:26 AM

May 2024
Reply to bebsicat
Call me an NPC but Spirited Away is the best Ghibli movie by far. It takes everything good about Ghibli movies and dials it up to the max. That is also the reason why it's the most popular one.
@bebsicat Spirited Away is one of Studio Ghibli finest works, but it isn't the best Ghibli movie ever made for several reasons.

Firstly it all depends on personal preference, not everyone vibes with Chihiro’s journey.

Cultural Icon Status, Totoro is practically a national treasure in Japan. He’s everywhere, from schoolbags to bus stops. This cultural impact is greater than Spirited away.

Emotional Gut Punch, movies like Grave of the Fireflies deliver a profound emotional punch that Spirited Away doesn't quite match.

Themes Aborded, Princess Mononoke dives into some heavy stuff, environmental destruction, human greed, and the clash between nature and progress. Those themes can feel more relevant and powerful than the world of Spirited Away.

Spirited Away has pacing issues compare to some other Ghibli movies.

There's plenty of room for debate when it comes to crowning the ultimate Ghibli movie
May 24, 5:39 AM

Dec 2022
Bleach is the best out of the big three and it ichigos character development isnt plot armor, aizen litterally planned it

May 24, 5:52 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Gashadokur0
@Zimmu That depends on the overall content of the video. If someone makes anime jokes in the comments section of Pornhub videos, then yes, I would consider them stupid and cringey.
@Gashadokur0 nah bro that would make it 10 times funnier
"The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed." ~ Lelouch vi Britannia
May 24, 6:17 AM

May 2024
Reply to AMBITZZ
@Gashadokur0 nah bro that would make it 10 times funnier
@AMBITZZ Picture this, you are in the zone, admiring a stunning Latina goddess, and then you make the mistake of checking the comments. Bam, The top comment is, Goku solos your favorite anime verse. Talk about a mood killer. I visit adult sites with certain anticipations regarding the content and mood and anime humor is not one of them.
May 24, 6:43 AM

May 2024
Reply to Scoopy777
Anime is great, except sometimes it is bad actually.
@Scoopy777 According to eyewitnesses, a man named Jesus Christ demonstrated his power over death. They tell us that after he died on a cross and was buried, Jesus suddenly appeared to them alive on the third day. Then he was seen by other followers, including 500 people on a single occasion. Soon word spread everywhere that Jesus had risen from the dead. But could Jesus’ resurrection simply be a 2000 year old legend? Or is it based upon verifiable historical evidence? If Jesus didn’t rise from the dead, then the foundation for the Christian Faith would forever be destroyed. Seven hundred years before Christ, the prophet Isaiah had written about a future Messiah, who would suffer and die for our sins, but later be restored to life. Echoing the prophecy in Isaiah 53, Jesus claimed that he was the Messiah who would be betrayed, arrested, condemned, spit upon, scourged, and killed. But then three days later he would come back to life. Everything Jesus taught and claimed depended on his resurrection from the dead. If Jesus didn’t rise as he promised, his message of forgiveness and hope for eternal life would be meaningless. Jesus was putting his words to the ultimate test of truth.

Bible scholar Wilbur Smith explains, “When he said He would rise again from the dead, the third day after He was crucified, He said something that only a fool would dare say if He expected the devotion of any disciples – unless He was sure He was going to rise.” Exactly as Jesus predicted, eyewitnesses report he was betrayed by one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot. Then in a mock trial under the Roman Governor, Pontius Pilate, he was condemned, scourged, kicked, spat upon, brutally whipped, and finally crucified on a wooden cross.

Jesus suffered on the cross for approximately six hours. Then, at 3:00 in the afternoon Jesus cried out, “It is finished” and died. Suddenly the sky went dark and an earthquake shook the land.

Pilate wanted to verify that Jesus was dead before allowing his crucified body to be buried. So a Roman guard thrust a spear into Jesus’ side. The mixture of blood and water that flowed out, according to eyewitnesses, was a clear indication that Jesus was dead. Once his death was certified, Jesus’ body was taken down from the cross, tightly wrapped in linen and buried in Joseph of Arimathea’s tomb. Roman guards then sealed the tomb with a large stone and were under strict orders to watch the tomb 24 hours a day.

Jesus’ disciples were so utterly devastated by his death on the cross that they fled for their lives, fearing they too would be captured and killed. But then something happened . . .hortly after Jesus was executed, his followers were suddenly galvanized from a baffled and cowering group into people whose message about a living Jesus and a coming kingdom, preached at the risk of their lives, eventually changed an empire. Something happened … But exactly what. Morison wanted to know what actually happened that changed Jesus’ followers and started a movement that has made such a profound impact on our world. He realized there were five possible explanations:

• Jesus didn’t really die on the cross

• Jesus’ body was stolen

• The disciples were hallucinating

• The account is legendary. Or,

• It really happened

Morison began examining the facts patiently and impartially to see where they would lead him. Morison first wanted verification that Jesus was really dead when placed in the tomb. He learned that Jesus’ death was considered factual for nearly 1800 years. Then about 200 years ago, a few skeptics postulated that Jesus didn’t die on the cross, but merely lost consciousness, and was revived by the cool, damp air of the tomb. This became known as the “swoon theory.”

Morison wondered if Jesus could have survived the cross. He researched both Jewish and Roman contemporary history and discovered the following facts supporting Jesus’ death:

• All the accounts affirm he died

• Pilate verified he died

• During the lifetime of the eyewitnesses no one disputes his death

• Secular and contemporary historians, Lucian, Josephus, and Tacitus cite his death as factual

Morison became convinced that Jesus was truly dead, a fact almost universally accepted as true by trusted scholars and historians. Morison concludes, “That Jesus Christ died on the cross, in the full physical sense of the term…seems to me to be one of the certainties of history.” Morison wondered if the disciples faked the resurrection story by stealing Jesus’ body, and then claiming he was alive. That might be plausible if the tomb was in an obscure area where no one would see them.

However, the tomb belonged to a well-known member of the Sanhedrin Council, Joseph of Arimathea. Since Joseph’s tomb was at a well-known location and easily identifiable, any thoughts of Jesus being “lost in the graveyard” would need to be dismissed.

Not only was the location well known, but the Romans had assigned guards to watch the tomb 24 hours a day. This was a trained guard unit comprised of four to 16 soldiers. Josh McDowell notes, “The Roman Guard unit was committed to discipline and they feared failure in any way.” It would have been impossible for anyone to have slipped by the guards unnoticed and then move the stone. Yet the stone was rolled away, making it possible for eyewitnesses to enter the tomb. And when they did, the body of Jesus was missing.

If Jesus’ body was anywhere to be found, his enemies would have quickly exposed the resurrection as a fraud. Tom Anderson, former president of the California Trial Lawyers Association, summarizes the strength of this argument:

“With an event so well publicized, don’t you think that it’s reasonable that one historian, one eye witness, one antagonist would record for all time that he had seen Christ’s body? … The silence of history is deafening when it comes to the testimony against the resurrection.”

So, with no body of evidence, and with a known tomb clearly empty, Morison accepted that Jesus’ body had somehow disappeared from the tomb. Morison wondered if the disciples might have been so emotionally distraught that they hallucinated and imagined Jesus’ resurrection.

Psychologist Gary Collins, former president of the American Association of Christian Counselors, explains that, “Hallucinations are individual occurrences. By their very nature, only one person can see a given hallucination at a time. They certainly aren’t something which can be seen by a group of people.”

Hallucination is not even a remote possibility, according to psychologist Thomas J. Thorburn. “It is absolutely inconceivable that … five hundred persons, of average soundness of mind … should experience all kinds of sensuous impressions – visual, auditory, tactual – and that all these … experiences should rest entirely upon … hallucination.”

The hallucination theory, then, appears to be another dead end. What else could explain away the resurrection? Some unconvinced skeptics attribute the resurrection story to a legend that began with one or more persons lying or thinking they saw the resurrected Jesus. Over time, the legend would have grown and been embellished as it was passed on. But there are three major problems with that theory:

A. Legends simply don’t develop while multiple eyewitnesses are alive to refute them. One historian of ancient Rome and Greece, A. N. Sherwin-White, argued that the resurrection news spread too soon and too quickly for it to have been a legend. Even skeptical scholars admit that Christian hymns and creeds were recited in early churches within two to three years of Jesus’ crucifixion.

B. Legends develop by oral tradition and are not supported with contemporary historical documents. Yet the Gospels were written within three decades of the resurrection.

C. The legend theory doesn’t adequately explain either the empty tomb or the fervent conviction of the apostles that Jesus was alive.

Morison’s original assumption that the resurrection account was mythical or legendary didn’t coincide with the facts. Jesus died for good and bad anime. anime is a diverse medium with a vast array of genres, styles, and themes, and while there are certainly some incredible gems out there, it's also true that not every anime hits the mark.

One of the factors that contribute to the occasional disappointment in anime is the sheer volume of content available. We explore how the radical love of Christians in those early years reflected the character of Jesus to people that were aching for anime. What resonates with Jesus may not necessarily resonate with another. While Jesus may enjoy the fast-paced action and intense battles of a shonen series, normal people may prefer the slow-burn drama and emotional depth of a slice-of-life anime. Additionally, the subjective nature of storytelling means that what one person considers to be a flaw in an anime, another person may view as a unique and intriguing aspect of the series. This is what god taught us. Despite the occasional disappointment, I believe that the greatness of anime lies in its ability to evoke a wide range of emotions and experiences. Just as we celebrate the masterpieces that leave a lasting impact, we can also appreciate the lesser-known titles that offer moments of joy, laughter, or even frustration.
May 24, 9:07 AM

May 2024
Reply to Penlifter22
First off, this thread and the fact that you answer to all replies is insane, second of all, music anime is IMO the best anime genre we have at our disposal.
@Penlifter22 Is music anime the best genre out there? That's totally up to your taste but avant-garde anime are better. Why Music anime are not the best, Niche Audience, Limited Character Depth, No Theme Variety ect,,,
May 24, 4:01 PM

Jul 2013
Prove the following statement wrong...evil characters sometimes don't get punished. You know that isn't actually true hehehehehehehe...
May 26, 8:59 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Gashadokur0
@AMBITZZ Picture this, you are in the zone, admiring a stunning Latina goddess, and then you make the mistake of checking the comments. Bam, The top comment is, Goku solos your favorite anime verse. Talk about a mood killer. I visit adult sites with certain anticipations regarding the content and mood and anime humor is not one of them.
@Gashadokur0 i mean that isnt even a joke. thats brainrot
"The only ones who should kill, are those who are prepared to be killed." ~ Lelouch vi Britannia
May 28, 7:30 AM

Sep 2018
Hey @Gashadokur0 just reminding you this is still here
~Saeryen~Cure Cantata~

Invoke love, invoke hope, please heal everything!

May 28, 7:36 PM

Aug 2016
komm susser is a BS song and it ruined EoE. It should have been something like this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBoiW460nU
:v
May 28, 7:39 PM

Aug 2016
Reply to kataneer
Texhnolyze is one of the worst "elitist" anime ever created (dropped after 9 episodes of boredom and irritation) and would be much more watchable without the autistic mc. Why he just wouldn't die in episode 2?
@kataneer this, everything texnolize did, Policenatus and GiTS did it but eons better
:v
May 28, 7:57 PM

Jun 2015
Magi is an underrated shounen and better than most popular anime.
Read Toriko!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Should I read manga?

-Auria- - Dec 30, 2023

24 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - Jun 15

44 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
9 minutes ago

» What world of Anime would you live in?

zaganGao - 12 hours ago

19 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
15 minutes ago

» Why were dubs on VHS cheaper than the subs back in the 90s and early 2000s?

funtime43_tr - Jun 18

15 by KiliianSleipnir »»
21 minutes ago

» did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ?

ame - Jun 17

45 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.