Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 15, 2023 5:07 PM

Jul 2016
Canute looking mighty fine…
Mar 15, 2023 10:59 PM
Oct 2019
Wow It's been 3 years and they did it.
Freedom...

OMG i love how Canute look now, MAN!!
Mar 16, 2023 8:26 AM

Sep 2020
The atmosphere of this episode is just so amazing, it really showed the different side of them.
Mar 16, 2023 12:24 PM
Jun 2020
Young King Harald looked like Eren Jeager ngl
Mar 16, 2023 2:14 PM
Feb 2015
this is like a bad dream, you get a masterpiece in first season and in the second season you find a crippled main character that wants to be jesus christ and refuses to use violence at all, when that was precisely one of the main strengths of first season. Boring, slow amd predictable. The few sparkles of action seem huge compared to how slow paced and uninteresting the rest of episodes are.
Mar 16, 2023 2:21 PM
Jul 2022
Absolutely insane how Canute changed. He is now fully the king und doesn't even have mercy to his own brother he used to love. This is the curse of the crown that his father had.

What I think is also interesting to say, that Thorfinn used to follow the goal to murder Askeladd, which caused that after his death he didn't have a meaning in life. And now he is about to be free but he doesn't have any meaning in life neither. Will he actually go back to Iceland after that many years, as if he wasn't gone?
Mar 16, 2023 3:16 PM
Jul 2021
it was a more chill episode, but still good
Mar 17, 2023 2:32 AM

Oct 2008
Damn! the direction of this episode was pure dope elegant! that part with OST and the seemingly tree of life behind the king was shivering awesome!
5/5!

Mar 17, 2023 5:43 AM
Feb 2013
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
Mar 17, 2023 4:41 PM
Aug 2020
The pace is starting to move faster in this episode. Nice storytelling and worldbuilding so far in the first 10 episodes. It's time to get straight into the action slowly from one episode to the next.
Mar 18, 2023 2:50 AM
May 2021
AMAZING episode, especially as we finally learn that Einar and Thorfinn's freedom is so close. Moreover, the character development of Canute is crazy, one of the best I have seen.
Mar 18, 2023 8:38 AM
Jul 2021
SO GOPOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Mar 18, 2023 11:46 AM

Jul 2015
3 year timeskip and we see Thorfinn and Einar closer to freedom now.They are determined in their life now.

Thorfinn's contrast to Canute is once again portrayed in this episode.He has changed heavily from the young boy he was.His guilty conscience comes in the form of his dead father's head speaking to him.5/5 episode.

Mar 18, 2023 8:06 PM
Sep 2021
interesting finding out more about Canute's brother, and also that he poisoned him.
Mar 19, 2023 4:35 AM

May 2015
Canute is mad. Seeing heads and shiet!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 19, 2023 6:06 AM
May 2021
great episode got insight on canute's transition to a ruthless cunning king a fun watch for sure
Mar 19, 2023 8:36 AM
Nov 2022
that psychological depiction of canute's personality as of now is great
Mar 20, 2023 8:34 AM
Oct 2019
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Mar 21, 2023 8:21 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Bad brother just!!! kekeke
Mar 22, 2023 5:04 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Canute looks 100x hotter than s1 for sure in terms of appearance and personality but too bad he also turns into a bastard who poisoned his own supportive brother. He is still one of the most interesting characters in Vinland Saga tho....

Meanwhile Ketil is the still best man of S2 :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 22, 2023 8:29 AM
Jan 2022
show is wayyyy too slow :(
Mar 22, 2023 10:30 AM

Aug 2009
SOOOO proud of the boys finishing their farm!! Also damn they all look damn FINE now, wow.

While it seems Thorfinn is absolutely thriving and going through an impressive character arc improving himself on the inside, Canute seems to be going into the opposite direction; King Sweyn warned Canute about the Crown's Curse back in season 1 and it seems the curse has caught Canute, causing him to poison his own brother so he could take control of Denmark. It's not a move that Canute from the end of S1 would've made and he seems changed from back then, for better and worse.

I'm so looking forward to a reunion between Thorfinn and Canute, and I really hope Canute manages to rid himself of the curse.
Mar 23, 2023 1:56 PM

Sep 2017
I never liked the femboy king anyways
خ
Mar 31, 2023 8:26 AM

Feb 2021
Thorfinn and Einar's freedom is right around the corner. They even have the opportunity to become retainers on the farm now.

Damn, King Canute sure looks dashing in short hair. He sees the rolling head of his dead father here and there. He too has PTSD to some extent.

It was a shock to know that Canute poisoned and plotted the death of his brother who seemed to be a genuinely good guy and even helped him conquer England. Even though his reason does hold some bit of truth, it still felt very unnecessary.

Apr 4, 2023 9:12 AM
Aug 2013
Jeesus Canute that's some cold-blooded shit.... the talking head of his father was chilling as well
Apr 7, 2023 11:07 AM
Jan 2018
Canute poisoned his older brother…
Apr 13, 2023 7:16 PM

Jul 2013
Thorfinn and Einar can definitely be proud of themselves for having managed to clear the entire forest in 3 sweaty years. To make things even better for them, Ketil even offers a discount where all they have to do is sow the next seed to finally be free men. I'm happy for both of them, even if in their previous conversation it doesn't seem like they have any plan of what to do with their freedom. Since Ketil probably already thought that both of them might be at a loss at first, he made them a very generous offer even in this case, in which they could continue to work for him as retainers.

At the same time we see Canute returning to his native Denmark to visit King Harald. Judging by the flashback, they actually seemed to have had a good relationship. Also, while Canute was about to conquer England, Harald continued to support him by sending fleets of ships. Canute's visit is such a farce. The fact that Harald announced with his last ounce of strength that Denmark now belongs to Canute played into his hands perfectly. Playing the worried brother on the outside and ultimately pulling the strings themselves that made sure that Harald got into this situation with the poison administered to him. Perhaps there really is some sort of curse on the crown, causing one to do things that would normally be unthinkable. Those slight lapses in which Canute sees his late father, King Sweyn, and especially the conversation he has with him at the end portray that even more. 

I wonder what might happen if Ketil finds Harald in this state and if there might even be some sort of conflict with Canute.
Natsu88Apr 14, 2023 8:18 PM

Apr 14, 2023 11:49 PM

Jul 2021
Canute is slowly developing and I'm all here for it. 
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 19, 2023 3:33 AM
Jun 2014
Did Canute want his father dead?

Apr 21, 2023 10:09 PM

Apr 2018
Oh gosh... This will not go well... I'm getting worried.
Apr 22, 2023 5:14 AM
May 2020
ok, damn didnt expect that i am at the edge of my seat right now
Apr 28, 2023 7:47 AM
May 2020
poisoned by the crown and as a result poisoned his bro
Apr 29, 2023 11:01 AM

Mar 2021
The start with Thorfinn and Einar was too damn wholesome. Warms my heart seeing Thorfinn laugh and smile!

And they're almost free men!

Canute's journey will definitely be interesting to see. He became... really different.

May 23, 2023 1:55 PM
Jan 2021
Canutes transformation has been interesting, i wonder how his character will develop later on and if he will ever fully understand the corruption that has taken over him.
May 24, 2023 11:22 AM

Jun 2020
Fuck Canute all my lil homies hate Canute, how could you poison your own brother pussy ass bitch
This anime shit is addictive
May 26, 2023 11:06 AM
Aug 2018
This episode is just meant to build speed/pace for upcoming events, but it's cool to display a lingering fear for Canute in this manner. By the end, he seems unbothered by it, but perhaps that is a foolish mistake of him.
Jun 3, 2023 3:05 PM
Jan 2021
Canute is now Schizophrenic
Jun 3, 2023 3:06 PM
Jan 2021
Canute is now Schizophrenic
Jun 3, 2023 11:57 PM

Oct 2013
tfw knowing history spoils yer weeb shit anime for you

I am so fucking excited for Canute and Thorfinn's inevitable clash. It's going to be glorious.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 15, 2023 10:39 PM

Oct 2013
How to make something look smart and end with having a pretentious episode? Add a smart quote! ;p

A quote from the Book of Kohelet was taken out of context and what happened afterwards didn't even have anything in common with either the quote itself or with the full version of the text it came from (long story short, it was about how everything depends on time, but ultimately on God).

Oh well, I got used to shounen tropes in this series, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see another one popping out.

I like the dynamics between Einar and Thorfinn. True friendship, or maybe a bromance, even? The latter is not impossible to occur, however, I guess Einar won't give up on Arnheid.
Jun 16, 2023 9:32 AM

Apr 2020
Adnash said:
How to make something look smart and end with having a pretentious episode? Add a smart quote! ;p

A quote from the Book of Kohelet was taken out of context and what happened afterwards didn't even have anything in common with either the quote itself or with the full version of the text it came from (long story short, it was about how everything depends on time, but ultimately on God).

Oh well, I got used to shounen tropes in this series, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see another one popping out.

Huh? The quote is shown after the part of Thorfinn and Einar sharing their joy of finishing some hard labor. Could you explain how what was quoted is completely irrelevant? From what I read the text does discuss God making humans work hard and whether that's meaningful if you leave Earth anyway.
Jun 17, 2023 2:27 AM

Oct 2013
Kaasfondue said:
Huh? The quote is shown after the part of Thorfinn and Einar sharing their joy of finishing some hard labor. Could you explain how what was quoted is completely irrelevant? From what I read the text does discuss God making humans work hard and whether that's meaningful if you leave Earth anyway.
Many other, different quotes from that epoch could've been used to describe what you are talking about. In way direct way, without having to rely on a quote from certain source (here: the Old Testament), taken out of context. And yet, the show had to include a quote from the Bible, taken out of context, only because one verse refers to hard work.

That's pretentious and cheap, but perhaps I just expected too much from a show described to be a seinen. It might have mature takes, but slip and fall on some elements and be more shounen-like. I also don't like seeing contextomy in any works of art, so that quote picked my attention. Keep in mind I'm not ranting about it. I'm aware it was just a minor element, and in my opinion the episode itself was good. I just saw this one minor element as an unnecessary scratch on a well polished episode.

Nevertheless, I'm positively surprised on how well and realistic Farmland Saga, as people apparently call this arc, looks like in general in this show. That's a type of "slice of life" experience in anime that you don't see very often. Mature and presenting universal values. And I'm saying it as somebody who is not really fond of slice of life genre in general.
Jun 17, 2023 10:49 AM

Apr 2020
Adnash said:
Kaasfondue said:
Many other, different quotes from that epoch could've been used to describe what you are talking about. In way direct way, without having to rely on a quote from certain source (here: the Old Testament), taken out of context. And yet, the show had to include a quote from the Bible, taken out of context, only because one verse refers to hard work.

That's pretentious and cheap

I don't really get it. It's not taken out of context at all, it 100% applies to the story being told. I've looked it up, maybe you should reread it. The book does have a significant focus on hard work and the joy it brings, reading all of it made me realize it makes even more to use it as other parts are also significant to both Ketil and Canute as characters and honestly just the story at large. It's very existentialist.

But whatever, agree to disagree I guess. Don't see it as pretentious and cheap at all when it fits perfectly thematically.
Jun 17, 2023 11:22 AM

Oct 2013
Kaasfondue said:
I don't really get it. It's not taken out of context at all, it 100% applies to the story being told. I've looked it up, maybe you should reread it. The book does have a significant focus on hard work and the joy it brings, reading all of it made me realize it makes even more to use it as other parts are also significant to both Ketil and Canute as characters and honestly just the story at large. It's very existentialist.

To me, it was not that deep, because of the reasons I pointed out before. The Parable of the Sower would've fit way better and would've delivered stronger message, in my opinion. And wouldn't have been so much taken out of context as well. ;))

Kaasfondue said:
But whatever, agree to disagree I guess. Don't see it as pretentious and cheap at all when it fits perfectly thematically.
Aye, it's better to agree to disagree here. It was just one quote without much significance to this episode's overall quality, after all.
Jun 18, 2023 7:09 AM

Apr 2020
Adnash said:
Kaasfondue said:

To me, it was not that deep, because of the reasons I pointed out before. The Parable of the Sower would've fit way better and would've delivered stronger message, in my opinion. And wouldn't have been so much taken out of context as well. ;))

Tbh, the reasons you gave before don't really make sense. The first third of the text questions the futility/utility of labour when you said it's only one verse. I'm curious why you think '' The Parable of the Sower'' would fit better when the story doesn't really have the theme of ''finding God''. If anything it's about the absence of God on Earth (the right is not always rewarded and the wrong not always punished) and therefore making ''Paradise'' on Earth.
Jun 18, 2023 4:08 PM

Oct 2013
Kaasfondue said:
Tbh, the reasons you gave before don't really make sense. The first third of the text questions the futility/utility of labour when you said it's only one verse.
Well, of course you are allowed to not support what I wrote, it's okay. But why then you have suggested agreeing to disagreeing? ;) I mean, we won't convince each other, because we have different views on the way that quote was used. I found it as mediocre, you found it as good. At the end of a day, further conversation about it is pointless, because it's not like that microscopic element carried the whole episode.

What we can agree with and shake our hands, I guess, is that the whole episode was really well done. It managed to mix different types of narratives and contexts, and end up with something good looking and entertaining to watch.

Kaasfondue said:
The first third of the text questions the futility/utility of labour when you said it's only one verse.
I mentioned a quote taken out of context, and said quote actually had a quotation of three verses coming from the Book of Kohelet's chapter.

Kaasfondue said:
I'm curious why you think '' The Parable of the Sower'' would fit better when the story doesn't really have the theme of ''finding God''. If anything it's about the absence of God on Earth (the right is not always rewarded and the wrong not always punished) and therefore making ''Paradise'' on Earth.
I feel it'd be deeper and more thought provoking, and less pretentious (even though it'd still be pretentious, as for this Parable's main message wasn't about agriculture, but with sowing serving as a symbol to convey the message).

But like I said earlier, it's just my personal preference. Maybe a silly nitpick, even. It doesn't mean much. Especially, when - again - this was just a mere commercial jump at most. Nothing to lessen and increase the joy of watching that episode.

I guess it will be in a good taste to finish this conversation here, as for we can agree to disagree. Continuing it will rudely in an unnecessary clogging of the whole thread, with trying to find deeper meaning in one insignificant element.
AdnashJun 18, 2023 4:15 PM
Jun 21, 2023 3:08 AM

Jan 2017
Canute not cute anymore ._.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jun 22, 2023 11:47 AM
Jan 2023
wtf king sweyn, creeeeepy
Jun 29, 2023 5:32 AM
Dec 2015
Boring in comparison with season 1
Jul 12, 2023 11:22 AM
Aug 2022
Oh my god, Ketil sit your ass in the farm until they are free. You gonna die somewhere and shit all over their freedom pact.

And Ive never liked Canute, now I hate that asshole. Jerk.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

380 by VibinRenji »»
May 27, 11:01 AM

Poll: » Do you think Thorfinn's worldview is viable?

Shizuna - May 24

27 by zeidXD »»
May 27, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Who is the most handsome Vinland Saga man?

Shizuna - May 24

19 by Genesis007AUT »»
May 26, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

489 by Huperchild »»
May 21, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2023

251 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.