Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 19, 2022 6:16 PM

Nov 2012
Every time I'm ready to drop this it takes an unexpected turn.
Oct 19, 2022 6:40 PM
Jun 2017
wow!!! i dont knowbut amidst watching the same title, i feel like i am watching a different anime already... hahaha... as episode 1 is way far from episode 2 and now on episode 3, its not even connected to episode 2, and we again have new characters... hahaha
Oct 19, 2022 6:49 PM

Mar 2010
I"m sure this will lead to something bigger, but damn this was a decent normie episode.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 19, 2022 7:17 PM

Jan 2013
ForeverTraitor said:
I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit, the fast pacing helps it not get too boring and the protagonist's insanity is certainly entertaining.

Him smashing his head against a rock while screaming "magic!" before jumping in front of a truck has to be one of the most memorable ways to get isekaied.

Also that joke where he does the ridiculous lean to grab the coin was funny.

I just really hope it's able to keep the MC as the butt of the joke rather than what isekai usually do by making them the ultra badass self-insert power fantasy.
I mean, he's kind of already the "badass self-insert power fantasy" the joke is that he's an absolutely certifiable chuuni edge-lord.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 19, 2022 7:20 PM
Feb 2019
Honestly so far I am really liking the story so far. I was hoping for Cid to make an attempt at taking on the people at the end, but that is something a main character would do and not background character 1.
Oct 19, 2022 7:24 PM

Jan 2013
Triggerfish124 said:
This anime is unique to me because I think its great yet I find the main character to be trash. Generally I like the protagonists in anime I like so this is interesting. I dont understand why he wants to be so cringe, looking forward to proposing to a princess and expecting to be shot down. That's just lame. I wish he'd stop goofing around and start taking things seriously.
Man, you're really missing the point, the protagonist IS trash, and almost certainly fucking insane, but that doesn't stop it from being hilarious and entertaining Still, I don't think you comprehend just how seriously he's taking this, he's putting in a ridiculous amount of effort just to play the perfect "nobody" type character, because an "eminence in shadow" needs a completely unassuming identity, and yes, it's mental that he's obsessed with being completely average to this degree.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 19, 2022 7:31 PM
Nov 2021
LostSpectre said:
Triggerfish124 said:
This anime is unique to me because I think its great yet I find the main character to be trash. Generally I like the protagonists in anime I like so this is interesting. I dont understand why he wants to be so cringe, looking forward to proposing to a princess and expecting to be shot down. That's just lame. I wish he'd stop goofing around and start taking things seriously.
Man, you're really missing the point, the protagonist IS trash, and almost certainly fucking insane, but that doesn't stop it from being hilarious and entertaining Still, I don't think you comprehend just how seriously he's taking this, he's putting in a ridiculous amount of effort just to play the perfect "nobody" type character, because an "eminence in shadow" needs a completely unassuming identity, and yes, it's mental that he's obsessed with being completely average to this degree.

He hasn't done anything but play around as a "loser". If he truly thinks hes going to fund his idea one gold coin at a time, he's more of an idiot than I expected, and that's the only thing he's done so far besides acting as a nobody. Even then he fails to do that.
Oct 19, 2022 8:06 PM
Feb 2022
loveing every bit of this show love the back around
Oct 19, 2022 8:33 PM
Dec 2021
This episode was so fun to watch, Cid definitely is a great protagonist, remembers me of Kazuma which is goated. This series keeps surprising me and this episode was just so....dog.
Oct 19, 2022 8:49 PM
Sep 2021
"I realized something that I am in big trouble"
Oct 19, 2022 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
Really, a nothing episode
Oct 19, 2022 9:13 PM

Jan 2020
Based on this episode rating, some people don’t seem to be liking this. I on the other hand am finding this to be a really enjoyable watch. Let’s see how this progresses
Oct 19, 2022 9:36 PM

Feb 2022
Anti-Username said:
Really, a nothing episode

nothing ? um this episode already aired last night
Oct 19, 2022 9:46 PM
Oct 2022
Good episode i think
Oct 19, 2022 10:39 PM
Jul 2012
Violet42 said:
The first actually good episode of the show, lol. I kind of wish it'd started here, sort of. Alexia is a fun character, and Cid's willingness to have absolutely no dignity and have his friends think he's a loser is pretty strong commitment to the bit. I wonder if Alexia could tell he was sandbagging. It seemed like that might have been the real reason for the break up - that she could tell he wasn't as malleable as he let on.

I'd have to agree. It's been a jarring tonal shift from the very serious first episode to now, so it's been confusing to understand what exactly this series was going for. The first episode had some interesting stuff going on, but it now feels like it belonged to a completely different series---a cool idea that didn't really serve as a good introduction. I'm not familiar with the source material, so I don't know if this is the fault of that or the adaptation. Either way, the anime would've been better with a different beginning.

The second episode didn't help much either. It introduced the Eminence in Shadow idea, but it also threw in the shift to the new fantasy world as well as some comedic elements that were at odds with what we were presented with in the first episode. Honestly, I wasn't even sure if the world being presented was real or just a fever dream of the protagonist who allegedly died at the end of the first episode. Was it a series about a main character who literally couldn't distinguish between reality and fantasy, simultaneously presenting viewers with normal school life events and fantasy events, in a manic unbalanced mental state? I still couldn't tell what this series was going for.

With this third episode, it finally presented a stable viewpoint for the audience that should've been there from the start. I understand what they're trying to do now, and I'm not sure why they wasted two episodes to get to this point.
Oct 19, 2022 10:40 PM

Jan 2022
really good episode, with a lot of plot driven interaction and lead up to future events. Cid continues to be a very intriguing main character, and all of the side characters seem to serve an actual purpose instead of just existing.
Oct 19, 2022 10:44 PM

Oct 2008
What a turn of events! i thought this was just a Chuuni show but i was wrong...well let's see...
4/5.

Oct 19, 2022 10:48 PM

Jan 2013
heychrisj said:
Violet42 said:
The first actually good episode of the show, lol. I kind of wish it'd started here, sort of. Alexia is a fun character, and Cid's willingness to have absolutely no dignity and have his friends think he's a loser is pretty strong commitment to the bit. I wonder if Alexia could tell he was sandbagging. It seemed like that might have been the real reason for the break up - that she could tell he wasn't as malleable as he let on.

I'd have to agree. It's been a jarring tonal shift from the very serious first episode to now, so it's been confusing to understand what exactly this series was going for. The first episode had some interesting stuff going on, but it now feels like it belonged to a completely different series---a cool idea that didn't really serve as a good introduction. I'm not familiar with the source material, so I don't know if this is the fault of that or the adaptation. Either way, the anime would've been better with a different beginning.

The second episode didn't help much either. It introduced the Eminence in Shadow idea, but it also threw in the shift to the new fantasy world as well as some comedic elements that were at odds with what we were presented with in the first episode. Honestly, I wasn't even sure if the world being presented was real or just a fever dream of the protagonist who allegedly died at the end of the first episode. Was it a series about a main character who literally couldn't distinguish between reality and fantasy, simultaneously presenting viewers with normal school life events and fantasy events, in a manic unbalanced mental state? I still couldn't tell what this series was going for.

With this third episode, it finally presented a stable viewpoint for the audience that should've been there from the start. I understand what they're trying to do now, and I'm not sure why they wasted two episodes to get to this point.
I won't disagree with you on the first episode, that's not the introduction to the source material, and it does set a confusing tone if you aren't familiar with the series. If you are, then you should find the "stylish thug slayer" and 5 minute exposition on the best way to beat someone with a crowbar, hilarious, despite the brutality, but I digress. As for the 2nd episode, I'm not sure what your confusion is, there's a news report that he was killed by a truck, and then you see him be reincarnated into another world, you do know what an isekai is, right? Your viewpoint seems far too complicated for what should be easily recognizable as a fairly standard isekai reincarnation, even counting the confusion of the first episode. I don't see why we should just skip his entire origin in the new world, but I suppose you could fill in some of these holes at a later time.
Oct 19, 2022 11:16 PM
Nov 2019
Triggerfish124 said:
LostSpectre said:

He hasn't done anything but play around as a "loser". If he truly thinks hes going to fund his idea one gold coin at a time, he's more of an idiot than I expected, and that's the only thing he's done so far besides acting as a nobody. Even then he fails to do that.

He hasn't done anything? Did you even pay attention to last 2 episodes ?
Oct 19, 2022 11:42 PM
Apr 2022
GreyratAnimelist said:
Let me guess the plot, now our MC will save the princess by showing her his real power and then princess will really fall in love with the MC, usual isekai plot.

nope, not at all... Thats what a her does.

this is guy is not.

he is the Eminence in Shadow.
Oct 20, 2022 12:28 AM

Jan 2013
the way he just leaned over to the money coin LOL
Oct 20, 2022 2:01 AM
Nov 2020
GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD
Oct 20, 2022 2:20 AM
Apr 2022
Alexia is so cute and satisfying
Oct 20, 2022 3:06 AM

Dec 2020
Damn this was a good ep, I was abt to drop this if this ep didn't impressed me but it did.
Oct 20, 2022 3:25 AM
Oct 2022
perfect in this time
Oct 20, 2022 4:07 AM

Jun 2015
I can't get enough of how Cid always knows how to be a mob character in quite spectacular fashion. 🤣

Ah, in case you haven't got it. Cid basically wants to be someone who is strong in the background. Thus, an eminence in shadow. Who would've thought that someone who acts like a mob chara can be the same person as he (Shadow) who is saving the world from the greatest evil?!

There you go, the context of "comedy" in this series. If you're interested, the novel is there for the reading. It's not a mindblowing masterpiece, but a fun read nontheless. 😊
Oct 20, 2022 4:38 AM
Sep 2016
i have read the manga but still awesome to see this anime
Oct 20, 2022 4:42 AM

Sep 2020
this episode was really cringe and fuxxed up, its funny how people was comparing this weirdo to overlord, just another mid fan service series
Oct 20, 2022 5:10 AM

May 2021
Cid - plans to act as a background character in order to avoid attention

Also Cid - behaves like the main character of one of the most popular, if not the most popular, series of this season.

Or maybe Denji just got hit by Truck-kun in an alternate universe.

Oct 20, 2022 5:16 AM

Aug 2020
I feel like I watched 3 different premise for same show.
Oct 20, 2022 5:53 AM
Mar 2018
Dogs everywhere this season lmao
Oct 20, 2022 6:17 AM
May 2022
So basically he jump straight to truck kun"

What a good guy"
Oct 20, 2022 6:37 AM
Nov 2021
Blue_Reaper7 said:
Triggerfish124 said:

He hasn't done anything? Did you even pay attention to last 2 episodes ?

I did, he has done nothing.
Oct 20, 2022 6:46 AM
Aug 2022
Finally the story is moving somewhere, loved this one
Oct 20, 2022 7:00 AM

Jul 2014
I never expected they'd be able to deliver the comedy to this degree, I fcking lost it with the coin scene, bro was still sitting like he's the shit while hovering at the coin, Im fcking sold, this anime is gonna be fun!
Oct 20, 2022 7:03 AM
Apr 2017
This was awesome! I liked it :) last week had me worrying about the state of this anime adaptation, but this episode was paced well. They even included the long-awaited head bashing scene!

Changing the order of scenes around appears to be based on tone. Makes me wonder if they'll explain the slime at a later date.

From reading some anime-only comments, seems there's some confusion since there's been 3 time skips in 3 episodes. Some don't know if there will be a 4th time skip, etc. Because vol 4 was adapted in ep 1, it seems that temporary confusion is the drawback from adapting the source like that. But overall, it's been very accurate to the LN (minus cosmetic changes like the era). The banter between Cid & Alexia was done well.

Very curious to see how they adapt the rest of this, they're taking their own spin on it for sure.
Oct 20, 2022 7:11 AM
Sep 2021
Our shadow is dating the second princess under a contract but suddenly the princess get's kidnapped, let's see what our MC will do.
I give it 5/10.
Oct 20, 2022 7:32 AM

Oct 2016
If I had a nickel for all the times this season that our MCs "woofed" so far, I'll have two.

Ah yes, the iconic "damn straight," scene. That's where I pretty much heard about this series lmao.

Now that I see everyone else mentioning it, every episode so far does feel like a different show. We got serious vigilante man, a chuuni kid and now a romcom protagonist, this man Cid be collecting all them character tropes, even going as far to creating his own ahoge.

I actually like Alexia, hope she's a supporting character that shows up often or something. That Beta ED though ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Oct 20, 2022 7:38 AM

Feb 2022
AnimeSrk said:
Our shadow is dating the second princess under a contract but suddenly the princess get's kidnapped, let's see what our MC will do.
I give it 5/10.

what MC will do? oh yeah, he made a giant crater in the middle of the city with his atomic power.
Oct 20, 2022 8:13 AM
Jan 2018
Finally the comedy, this one was way better than the first two
Oct 20, 2022 9:23 AM
Jun 2020
other then the dog bit which made me want to rip out my eyes it was a great episode
Oct 20, 2022 10:02 AM
May 2022
Melhor episódio até agora, ótima animação, um isekai gênerico com um protagonista bem diferente, a introdução da Alexia e sua personalidade "manipuladora" foi perfeita,e muito engraçada tbm, só não gostei da abertura, ficou muito sem sal pra mim.

Acho q um único anime está no msm nível dele nessa temporada é Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita.

Truck-chan vez mais uma vítima :)
Oct 20, 2022 10:13 AM

May 2022
MegamiRem said:
I like Alexia, she's amusing and voiced by HanaKana no less. Cid became her dog, he has good taste. Also so that's how he died, that was dumb.

No wonder her voice was absolute relaxing in my ears <3
Oct 20, 2022 10:18 AM
Jul 2017
cant wait for more
Oct 20, 2022 11:11 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
If anything the manner of how Cid died in the original world was quite shocking. So the rich live in dorms while the poor live in apartments far from school huh class based society at its best. Im actually impressed that the confession ended up working. Alexia though has quite the pleasant personality despite being royalty. Sometimes though a simple style is better than one that gets hung up on looking cool. Using Cid as a temp shield huh. Well and a pet too. Still at the very least at least around Cid she can show her true self. While Alexia's vanishing act was surprising so was the fact that the knights weren't afraid of using force if Cid had resisted. Excellent ending theme from Inorin. Overall a fun ep that while expanding upon the world also did well to introduce a new character in the form of Alexia who seems to have quite a lot of issues within her heart.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2022 11:26 AM

Nov 2013
meh i'm literally looking away every time lol
wtf was that dumbass death? holy..................
the gold coin part with woofs... it was ok but still... i hate that word but i'll actually use it ... "cringe"

i still can't get over how he literally got a bunch of girls off screen... and then they all left last episode... like wtf is even happening?

oh well, i guess i'll keep watching to see what happens but, but so far, i'm not liking it much
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Oct 20, 2022 11:48 AM

Aug 2019
Give me spoiler, will he eventually know that the cult really existed all along?

Oct 20, 2022 12:25 PM

Jul 2022
oh no his background character plan is ruined :(
kill knights pls

GreyratAnimelist said:
Let me guess the plot, now our MC will save the princess by showing her his real power and then princess will really fall in love with the MC, usual isekai plot.

here spoiler man
Oct 20, 2022 12:50 PM

Jan 2015
Lawrencw said:
FaAsian said:
Today's episode made me feel like I should look for the manga to read as soon as this anime ends

Hmm, why? The anime feels closer to the manga now though

I like the way MC behaves doing what he wants and the anime basically has almost all the tags I like.
So since the 1st episode it was good, if keep this pattern and have a good story it should be on my list

But...maybe it's not possible as it seems to have 20 episodes and I don't know how far it will to the manga, you tell me :)
Trying my best with english d-_-b
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2022

186 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

765 by BlaiseAuto »»
Sep 4, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2022

149 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2022

193 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

165 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 2:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.