Forum Settings
Forums

You ever wonder about the people who's avg anime score is like 4-5

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 31, 2021 4:18 AM

Nov 2019
I don't wonder about it, because it's pointless. Why care about other person scores? Everyone is different, just leave them be and all of the problem regard of it is solved.
Also, I see almost every day a new forum about it, guess it's the popular topic now...
Oct 31, 2021 5:23 AM

Jul 2020
Are you just pissed at those who give your favorite Anime a low score op?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 31, 2021 6:11 AM
Aug 2020
It would be ironic if I just change all my ratings to:

1- Shit.
2- Masterpiece.

Also,
We acknowledge the Wurendjeri people of the Kulin nation as the traditional custodians of the land we stand on today, Sovereignty has never been ceded. this always was and always will be, Aboriginal land. We pay our respects to all elders past, present and emerging.
We acknowledge the Wurendjeri people of the Kulin nation as the traditional custodians of the land we stand on today, Sovereignty has never been ceded. this always was and always will be, Aboriginal land. We pay our respects to all elders past, present and emerging.
Oct 31, 2021 6:58 AM

Nov 2020
I think about that a lot. It must be exhausting to continue watching an anime you know you'll give a rating below 6. Right? Rating more generously makes me feel like I'm not wasting time
Oct 31, 2021 7:07 AM

Nov 2020
NoktoH said:
Generally, the more passionate people become about something, the more critically they will view it. Thinking that low mean score = disliking the medium is the most normie tier level thinking and couldn't be less true.
Low ratings give me an impression that someone complains too much, that nothing is up to his standards. Is that illogical
MarkVijetOct 31, 2021 7:13 AM
Oct 31, 2021 11:49 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I respect my favorites too much to give your usual run-of-the-mill seasonal shows a comparable score. Still, I feel like my average score is way too high.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 31, 2021 11:57 AM

Apr 2021
Yeah, I should just be consuming product.
Oct 31, 2021 2:28 PM

Jul 2020
How is a score of 5 seeing "most of it as bad"? That's average.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2021 3:14 PM

Oct 2020
Because I am totally a non anime fan who hates everything I watch.

Oct 31, 2021 3:27 PM

Oct 2019
5 means average. 4 means below average. Simple to understand. This is not like school where 7 is average, nono. This is people's own ratings and most of them (including me) think this way. If the show is boring af but well crafted and not that bad of course I'll rate it a 5 because that's the number for average to me. I got my own rating system, like you know, all people do? Why bother complaining about something as small as this. An anime even rated with 2 can be enjoyed bc it's so bad it's funny. So yeah.
Oct 31, 2021 6:39 PM

Oct 2019
Look, I guess we can all agree that people with an average score of 4-5 are basically anime veterans who are tired of watching mediocre, shit shows that entirely exist to grub money without producing an interesting story. Anyone who has a score of 7 or higher is usually people who had the luck to watch it brand new, rather than other people who have watched dozens before the popular chain has risen. Some are genuinely overrated, yes that's true. But in the end, those scores just indicate their tastes are different than what an average viewer would have.

You could say they have high tastes. If you have watched a lot of shows and try to rewatch something you've watched in the past, you begin to realize the true quality of what the show actually is.

It's bad enough that the guy is getting bombed by comments clearly hating on him because he decided to say something about the average score of 4-5. It clearly means the person has high tastes, I mean what else to say about that?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2021 9:50 PM

Jun 2020
A genuine answer to this is, well not all Anime are good.

But. Finding that one anime and or manga that is perfect. That is what anime is about for those people including myself. Theres a bunch of trash. But there is a bunch of hidden gems as well.

Even If We Painstakingly Piece Together Something Lost, It Doesn't Mean Things Will Ever go Back To How They Were - Guts

Oct 31, 2021 10:07 PM

Aug 2018
1: People who have watched too much already and dropping it midway would be a massive waste of time

2: People who never want to drop a single anime and always has to complete every anime they start

3: People whose rating systems are completely different than how it’s intended to be

4: people who hate anime

5: people who like it but don’t want to admit it

6: people who don’t care what they rate what

7: people who are overly critical of the anime

The reason why my mean is 5 is because you will never know how good the show is until tou finish it. Maybe first few eps are garbage but it could get good later on, if it does get good, then good, if not, then slap a low rating onto it and move on
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Oct 31, 2021 11:09 PM

Oct 2008
It might be that after so much watching, they rate anything that isn't a masterpiece, low. If it doesn't make you go OMG, SO GOOD, then average or lower is what it comes down to.
Oct 31, 2021 11:25 PM
Mar 2021
No. I don't. I do not have the time to think about any other person's scores.
Nov 1, 2021 12:42 AM

Sep 2020
20Dumpling said:
Literally every day one of these threads pop up.

Fr just go read one of the other threads like it xD
Nov 1, 2021 12:53 AM

Jul 2019
Never had to cause it's a simple reality that when you've gone into the several hundreds, no shit you would have come across a lot of average or bad stuff. Not every anime is a banger. Whatever amount of average or bad stuff the user has in their list will of course vary by their preference and time-spending habits on all that, but anyone who expects someone with 500 anime watched to have a mean of 8.5 either does not know how a mean works or has some delusions about the quality of the average anime in the eyes of the average person.
Nov 1, 2021 1:00 AM

Apr 2018
No i don't wonder. i know they're people who have terrible lives and think that their virtual numbers about their inexperienced scoring for children's cartoons actually matters.
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Nov 1, 2021 1:48 AM

Jul 2011
well their life is worse than avarage i think, so watching avarage anime is not that bad
Nov 1, 2021 3:45 AM
pookie

Nov 2015
just let people be, in my case, after watching +400 animes, its hard to find something that satisfies you. You're more likely to drop a show because you've seen the same trope a hundred times before, yk?
Nov 1, 2021 4:26 AM

Jul 2015
Clubby said:
Lunilah said:
There you go, assuming again, because you want to look down on things you disagree with... because you're an elitist. I really found one of you out in the wild, huh.

Because i love anime, and i greatly enjoy watching it. But that doesn't mean everything is equally or even generally good, otherwise the very concept of good and great become meaningless. Things only stand out and are good/great because they're better than the rest.

Yeah nah i checked your favorites and you like ASV and Ginga eiyuu you're the elitist here with that taste

LMAO we found another elitist shitlord, and as usual he's the one calling others elitists while shitting on X and Y shows (always the same ones)

Faut se détendre hein, si tu prends le temps de lire la définition d'élitisme et de regarder ton comportement dans ce thread, tu comprendras... :'D

Elitism: "the selectivity of the elite. see : snobbery"
Snob: "a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people"

Not looking good for you there my french brother.
DeathkoNov 1, 2021 4:42 AM
Nov 1, 2021 4:46 AM

Mar 2019
Deathko said:
Clubby said:

Yeah nah i checked your favorites and you like ASV and Ginga eiyuu you're the elitist here with that taste

LMAO we found another elitist shitlord, and as usual he's the one calling others elitists while shitting on X and Y shows (always the same ones)

Faut se détendre hein, si tu prends le temps de lire la définition d'élitisme et de regarder ton comportement dans ce thread, tu comprendras... :'D

Snob: "a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people"

I'd rather not be referred to as a french brother, this country sucks fucking ass.

I never said my tastes were superior, just that ASV and Ginga Eiyuu are typically associated with people with low ass scores, and how surprising, he has ASV and GE in his favs, and has a low score.
Nov 1, 2021 4:50 AM

Jul 2015
Clubby said:
Deathko said:

I'd rather not be referred to as a french brother, this country sucks fucking ass.

I never said my tastes were superior, just that ASV and Ginga Eiyuu are typically associated with people with low ass scores, and how surprising, he has ASV and GE in his favs, and has a low score.

Low ass scores have nothing to do with elitism, passing heavy judgment on someone because of two of his favs tho...

Mod Edit: Removed conversing in another language.
ShadowMonkeyNov 9, 2021 9:02 AM
Nov 1, 2021 6:56 AM
Jun 2021
"Torture is love.Torture is life."

-Every one with avg 4-5
Nov 1, 2021 7:51 AM

Jan 2020
Why would I judge them for having different tastes? People are allowed to not like things.
Nov 1, 2021 7:58 AM

Jan 2020
Clubby said:
Lunilah said:
The rating system is completely fine.

Also, it's because most things aren't going to be great.

then don't watch them lmao
"boo hoo it isn't good"
don't watch it and problem solved
They continue to watch it in case it improves. That and some people don't like dropping stuff.
Nov 1, 2021 7:58 AM

Aug 2020
no because i'm not obsessed with other peoples scores, like all of the people who make these sorts of threads.

so sleepy...

did you need something?

Nov 1, 2021 8:27 AM
Oct 2021
allergic to fun

just dont watch anime if you hate everything so much lmao
Nov 1, 2021 8:54 AM

Apr 2019
Nah they just a bunch of pretentious nerds or trolls
Nov 1, 2021 9:25 AM

Apr 2021
eekeen said:
I actually wonder why people that have 250+ anime watched have a mean score of 8 and above. They give everything a 10... That's weird to me.

I rate every episode. Then make an average. Then I rate the series for it's story, characters and overall enjoyment. Then make another average. After that I make final score from my two average.

My rating system is kinda vivid. Yet my mean is 7.95 after completing 495 shows. Am I weird then?

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

Nov 1, 2021 9:26 AM

Jul 2021
Thinking that most anime you've seen are bad or mediocre doens't mean thinking the whole media is bad. There're anime worth watching, we're just not finding them as oftem as we want.
I could be dropping more shows than I do, I'll give you that.
Nov 1, 2021 9:39 AM

Dec 2020
well , when i first saw someone with a score alike <5

i wondered how can this happen

how can someone who uses his/her time to watch something they don't like or they don't

really care

but then when i watched more and more anime I came to realize that people sometimes

uses their time to watch something which was great in the beginning became below

average and it disappointed them so much that they scored it a below avg score
Nov 1, 2021 10:05 AM

Oct 2009
can't say i have. they are just strangers to me
Nov 1, 2021 10:10 AM

May 2019
Ciezul said:
eekeen said:
I actually wonder why people that have 250+ anime watched have a mean score of 8 and above. They give everything a 10... That's weird to me.

I rate every episode. Then make an average. Then I rate the series for it's story, characters and overall enjoyment. Then make another average. After that I make final score from my two average.

My rating system is kinda vivid. Yet my mean is 7.95 after completing 495 shows. Am I weird then?

First and foremost, you can rate however you want, I won't micromanage how you rate shows. That's an elitist mindset I don't want to partake in.

I want to clarify my point, since it wasn't that well elaborated. There are people that give shows a 10/10, even though they don't feel that special about said show. When their whole list is filled to the brim with 10/10's, that 10 loses its value. That's what I find weird.

The whole mean score thing was just an arbitrary number and used as a counterargument to the threadmaker and shed light to the other side of the spectrum.
yo
Nov 1, 2021 10:21 AM

Apr 2021
eekeen said:
Ciezul said:

First and foremost, you can rate however you want, I won't micromanage how you rate shows. That's an elitist mindset I don't want to partake in.

I want to clarify my point, since it wasn't that well elaborated. There are people that give shows a 10/10, even though they don't feel that special about said show. When their whole list is filled to the brim with 10/10's, that 10 loses its value. That's what I find weird.

The whole mean score thing was just an arbitrary number and used as a counterargument to the threadmaker and shed light to the other side of the spectrum.

Don't take personally man. I was half joking while writing. But I got your points. I have lots of 10's. But I have 7's most. I also have a lots in 3-6 range. But ultimately all are numbers and there are really no points in arguments while those numbers are actually nothing. So, chill.

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

Nov 1, 2021 10:55 AM
Sep 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
TheFireNinja said:
Some people believe in rating objectively which I really don't understand. Your scores are at your own disposal to use. So why would you rate out of convenience for others? There's no guarantee that the person is actually going to agree with your score. I'm going to give high scores to shows that I think deserve it and those to ones that I genuinely don't like. Not everyone's going to follow their idea of what objective is and give shows the ratings that they think they deserve.

I would contend that the meaning of the term "objectivity" gets abused and misunderstood in this forum. You can recognize something is well-made by several technical artistic parameters while not asserting, never asserting, that it is objectively enjoyable to the individual viewer (or should be). There is no objectively enjoyable. Many of those including myself who say they give some nod to more (note - more; not total/complete, which is illusory) objective criteria and factor it into their score means recognition of what looks like a lot of effort having gone into an anime. Clear demonstration of technical prowess or some artistic mastery in animation, attention to detail in writing, music composition and sound design, etc.

Yes, if you want to be literal and pedantic to the extreme, those areas aren't objective either. We get it. Nothing is objective. You can take it to another extreme - I don't believe anything in the universe - law, education, politics, philosophy, ethics & morality, religion, most science, etc. outside of a handful of mathematical equations and scientific formulae is really and truly objective by definition, but it isn't really the point. It's a sliding scale.

Many of those who factor some deference to areas like technical skill into their rating where there isn't universal consensus but some commonplace and widespread recognition of artistic achievement in a field on a physical-technical level by virtually every critical establishment aren't ignoring the value of subjectivity or the subjective perspective. Speaking only for myself here, I do the opposite. I value it more highly and champion it as the primary determining factor. I do believe personal enjoyment and the subjective degree to which an anime personally resonates with you and speaks to as precisely as possible what you want to see and hear and the experience you most want to have is the most important factor in a rating. It is just not the sole one.

I don't believe it's unreasonable to add or subtract a point or two for obvious demonstration of technical competency, fluency, and achievement or technical failure and wanting to see such reflected in the ratings. It won't turn a 5-rated anime into a 10 for me or vice versa, but it could be the difference between a 6 and a 7, a 7 and an 8, an 8 and a 9, a 9 and a 10, and so forth.

I think most people who take objectivity into account when rating shows do so in a similar way to how you've stated. I'm curious, do you think rating like this gives you the best results for what you're going for, and if so, can you clarify why that's the case.

When I rate a show, I want the rating to reflect how much I like the show. If I were to inflate or deflate a rating based on it's craftsmanship or lack thereof my list would start to lose meaning which is why I stick to pure subjectivity.

For example, I don't like the art style for Kill La Kill. I'm aware that the visuals are well crafted and I can appreciate how they were utilized, but I don't feel the need to inflate my score as that would no longer reflect my feelings towards the show. Similarly, I didn't like the movie 5 centimeters per second. I found it boring, the themes seemed rather surface level and it played out in a way I found unappealing. However I liked the visuals. The visuals heightened my enjoyment of the movie. I still rated it a 4/10 but I would've given it a worse score if I didn't enjoy the visuals.

One could say that both of these works have objectively good visuals but I like the visuals
of one, and don't like the visuals for the other. While the visuals for Kill La Kill are well crafted, they don't enhance my enjoyment for the show, in fact it does the opposite. For that reason, it would feel inauthentic and inaccurate for me to rate the show even one point higher.

The fact of the matter is that when people rate shows subjectively, they take into account "objective" elements. It just comes down to how much these elements affect their enjoyment and that determines their opinion/score.

There are almost an infinite number of ways a show can turn out in a way which you will like or not. The reason you like your favorite show could be as specific as one character with green hair having an orange and grey cat that reminds you of when you were a teenager and you green hair and an an orange and grey cat, and it brings you back to that time in your life. It brings you peace by revisiting that emotional state. If you were to deflate your score for that show for some "objective" element which didn't affect your enjoyment negatively (let's say there was what you deemed to be a minor plot hole), then inflate your score for a show which didn't necessarily resonate with you but you were aware of the fine craftsmanship, then your list starts to lose it's meaning.

Also by inflating your scores based on visuals and other "objective" attributes, the consensus is no longer the consensus. And this affects what shows get pushed to the forefront.
Nov 1, 2021 11:04 AM
Jul 2019
Ah yes, I cannot enjoy anime like its supposed to be enjoyed, because i have a 5.55 mean.

Nov 1, 2021 12:54 PM
Jul 2018
Why are people so obsessed with how people score anime? why is it always the 5 and 6? Why not the 7,8 and 9 since we all love Anime here surely the scores should be 10 right? so why don't we question that?

Simply because everyone has their own way of scoring, even if MAL had a particular plan when it came to grading, each fan sees 1-10 very differently, some may not even see 1-10 and only see a simpler 1-5 grading that they prefer to use
Nov 1, 2021 1:01 PM
Mar 2021
kurama1 said:

how can someone who uses his/her time to watch something they don't like or they don't

really care

but then when i watched more and more anime I came to realize that people sometimes

uses their time to watch something which was great in the beginning became below

sometimes you want to want garbage, is the thing. Like, what about when you're sick or in a really bad depression? Like, you need entertainment, but you know if you watch something good it'll be a worse experience than if you save the good anime for when you're in a mood to appreciate it? This is when you dig out the premium trash, your Domestic Girlfriends and Eromanga Senseis, your Akame ga Kills or Elfen Lieds.
Nov 1, 2021 1:02 PM

Jun 2012
If you want to adjust my scores to your scale, just add 3 to all of them.

It's simple really. If I give something a 10, you should see it as a 13.
Nov 1, 2021 1:27 PM

May 2019
Ciezul said:
eekeen said:

Don't take personally man. I was half joking while writing. But I got your points. I have lots of 10's. But I have 7's most. I also have a lots in 3-6 range. But ultimately all are numbers and there are really no points in arguments while those numbers are actually nothing. So, chill.

I thought I offended you and wanted to clarify it, hahaha. Right? No one should really care about scores, they're personal numbers that doesnt mean jackshit.
yo
Nov 1, 2021 1:46 PM

May 2021
anime fans are riddled with autistic traits such as obsessive behaviours, they somehow feel like they have to watch anime but they don't like it so they score it low just to get a +1 on their list

don't do it if you hate it

best signature
Nov 1, 2021 6:36 PM
Jul 2018
I admire their dedication on watching shit shows because I can't even get pass episode 1 most of the time nowadays.
Nov 1, 2021 7:34 PM

Feb 2021
I think if you have a lot of PTW and your Completed list is short, the avg. score gets low. I do rate shows pretty generously (I think) and still my average score is 5.87 something.
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Nov 1, 2021 10:37 PM

Dec 2020
Violet42 said:
kurama1 said:

really care

sometimes you want to want garbage, is the thing. Like, what about when you're sick or in a really bad depression? Like, you need entertainment, but you know if you watch something good it'll be a worse experience than if you save the good anime for when you're in a mood to appreciate it? This is when you dig out the premium trash, your Domestic Girlfriends and Eromanga Senseis, your Akame ga Kills or Elfen Lieds.

i know what you are talking about
its just that feeling
Nov 9, 2021 8:58 AM

Jun 2015
Thread locked for breaking rule 2.e of our Anime Discussion rules
e. MAL community data
e.g. Questioning the score/ranking/character favorite counts
e.g. Saying that series X should have a higher/lower score/count
e.g. Specific reviews, moderation of data/community content/reviews, etc.

Discussions like this can lead to users generalizing each other's opinions and starting arguments, so it's best to avoid making these types of threads.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

60 by Hikinekomori »»
3 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - 6 hours ago

17 by Quadruple_Oi »»
5 minutes ago

» best instrumental op

deg - 9 hours ago

13 by KitsuFrost »»
11 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season

Raajdeep - Today

30 by Guilmon1 »»
45 minutes ago

» Way to filter anime by Main character?

ernand - 2 hours ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.