Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 17, 2021 11:53 PM

May 2021
Thoughts on this episode:
Pathetic as usual, the MCs are pathetic as usual
Mishima keeps being the only reasonable human being, but I didn't like how he exposed the MC whole facade when it is obvious to a non oblivious watcher, could have done it through a monologue to give a better emotional impact. This anime is pathetic at giving emotional impact, it feels like watching a romance SnK
The rapist think that Sayu's brother is an antagonist just because he is a CEO, who would have thought that commie and rapist are not that so separated? Not me of course

May 18, 2021 12:18 AM

Aug 2012
Ahaxx said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

Her trying to emulate maturity, yeah, I heard. But here is the truth: women are much more emotional than men. If they really care about a guy they get jealous. This is reality. Also as a general pointer you should pay attention more to how women act than to what they say if you want to know how and what they think. Yeah she says you cannot force someone while pushing her breasts in his face and playing with her hair. The only way she could be more obvious would be if she pushed her twat in his face. Also how does she know if it works out or not? Supposedly she is a virgin... at least if you buy her bullshit. She does not care about him, she just wants to know she can have him now that he got his act together. Just like the song says: some people want to use other and be used by others , they cannot deal with other type of relationship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeMFqkcPYcg

any regular guy prefers a woman <25 if he can have a choice. when you are in college you may get attracted by a female teacher that may be a little older but is just a phase. Yoshida apparently just has not grown out of it

Did you time travel from the 1950s or something you have such a primitive view of women it’s unbelievably. I guess me and yoshida aren’t “regular” guys for preferring older women I’m fine that with whatever makes me happy as long as I don’t see women the way you do
Human biology has not changed that much from 2000 BC . Estrogen and testosterone still work the exact same way, women still want the same thing from men and men the same from women. Just society changed in a bad way with this whole idea that men and women are basically the same and that there are no major differences between the two sexes. On the other hand many men today are fed estrogen through all possible means: beer, soy milk and other soy products, baby formula, and are advised to stay away from aliments that increase testosterone as steaks , wine, garlic, etc. Normal testosterone level for an adult male are around 700, most men today are around 200.
May 18, 2021 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
Finally Mishima Being declared by yoshida kind of like the moment of yoshida's ex was really cool I hope it shows more about him as the protagonist of this show.
May 18, 2021 5:27 AM

Jun 2016
sayu is dumb girl confirmed !!! her family rich if you look her brother , but she decided to sell her body to stranger man ...
May 18, 2021 6:23 AM
Dec 2018
borderliner said:
Gab5 said:

1950s for sure, it is almost funny.

Definitely from the present, he's Borat !!

Don't want to see the mankini!
May 18, 2021 7:00 AM

Oct 2016
Pretty good episode! That Gotou and Mishima interaction was really great, and honestly they were both right, it's just a matter of perspective and how you are as a person. And as we see, Mishima is more proactive, and I agree with Gotou, Mishima is cute. But, of course I am part of Gotou gang.

Damn, didn't expect Sayu's family to be loaded, but it's pretty obvious now that she has problems at home, are we finally going to be exploring her backstory!? But first, we gotta have our obligatory festival episode. A shame that the story about the ex will be cut, but LN readers did say that it's not really relevant to the plot so it's fine. Looking forward to the next episode.
May 18, 2021 8:06 AM

May 2015
It is painful how unnatural the conversations feel a lot of the times between the adults in this anime. That can be said about a lot of other anime as well I know, but those don't even try to take themselves seriously, so there is not a problem; but here we are supposed to belive that they are some kind of "typical" co-worker japanese adults but then the story again and again hits me with a conversation, an answer, a reaction or line of thinking that could never happen in a real life situation. I should take this anime less seriously and see it just as an undercover adult harem fantasy brushing serious themes like a child prostituting oneself for a place to stay, and leaave it at that.
IshitatesoMay 18, 2021 8:45 AM
夏草や 兵どもが 夢の跡
May 18, 2021 9:56 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Finally, i am writing such worthy length of words in these episode reply. Because this seventh episode really make me fascinated all of a sudden.

Yearning. Sayu-chan seems to finally giving a thought about coming back home. 'And then what?' It seems that Sayu still hasn't found the right reason to return. Because, well, maybe its still a hard choice for her. Because the man at their home kinda always made her worry. However, the later situation might be forcing her to create a decision, faster.

Ah, right. Mishima girl always giving out such a perfect words, both to Gotou and Yoshida the Chad. Its not only that, she even let the bold word moving out of her little body. Bravery approved. Too bad, Yoshida always be a Yoshida. So, yeah, not much reaction coming out from his face over that shit, which is kinda expected. But, as a girl, that shit really make my finger flicking suddenly. Oh, you finally did that! About Gotou-san, she was kinda just let the flow flows by itself over her relations with the chad, which is kinda sad to hear. As always, the best girl might be losing shit. So she just self-realization over that matter. Well, thats cleared the things out to Mishima.

Back to Yoshida, and its still the usual thought of him. A bit heat increased at certain points. But as usual, he diverted it nicely. So i just laughing the shit out with that scene. Still, Sayu overthinking his later statement, which is become a troublesome. Good thing its stop there, and well, its back to Sayu problem with her family again, and kinda made the issue hurry to finish by bringing in someone unexpected along with his business card....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 18, 2021 11:33 AM

Sep 2018
NirvashX1 said:
sayu is dumb girl confirmed !!! her family rich if you look her brother , but she decided to sell her body to stranger man ...

I think Sayu is probably just very naïve.

And having a rich family is definitely not a guarantee of happiness.

She may well have run away because she didn't feel she was able to meet expectations, she certainly has self worth issues.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
May 18, 2021 11:35 AM
Jul 2020
borderliner said:
NirvashX1 said:

I think Sayu is probably just very naïve.

And having a rich family is definitely not a guarantee of happiness.

She may well have run away because she didn't feel she was able to meet expectations, she certainly has self worth issues.

she is just suffering from puberty.
We all go through that phase during which become extra emotional
May 18, 2021 12:59 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
On this week’s episode of sayu has a big forehead:

We get the typical anime characters that have no sense of balance, and a nice cgi Lexus ES 350

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 18, 2021 2:12 PM

May 2017
BetaMaleUltra said:
a nice cgi Lexus ES 350

Thank you for pointing this out for those of us without an eye for it. Looks like a nice ride if you have the fifty grand...

It'll be interesting to see what the situation she ran away from really was. With a 17 year-old it could be anything from terrible abuse to just wanting to break free from family expectations. Hoping for the latter for multiple reasons.
Forum sniper of MAL. Accuracy, efficiency. Beware the catgun.
May 18, 2021 2:19 PM

May 2018
Older girls are good indeed, but lolis are still the best!
May 18, 2021 4:36 PM

Jun 2019
This is not a good anime. I don’t think I would call it outright bad, but it is certainly mediocre.

The surprisingly high production value helps mask a generic story with poorly written characters. The thing is, I get why it is popular and at least somewhat well-liked. On the surface it looks like the characters and story has some depth, but once you take away some of its gimmicks it is just the same old stuff.

I’ll probably finish this season because it’s so popular, although I don’t think I am going to enjoy it anymore.
May 18, 2021 5:57 PM

Jul 2013
Man... Mishima is a total psycho xD

Damn... Sayu's brother showed up... I don't have a good feeling about this.
May 18, 2021 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
Mishima was definitely the biggest plot development, it's getting kinda hard not to cherish for her. She's kinda like Nino, straightforward as hell, but that's what makes it better.

On the other hand, it seems that i was wrong about Gotou, her intentions and way to think about the situation is the best outcome, she knows that she can get it wrong so she hopes that Yoshida can solve it.

That shop scene was pretty stressing but the thing is, we still don't know anything about her besides that she's the daughter of some big big boss CEO of some food company, now i wonder even more, what the hell was going on in that house in order for her to run like this.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

May 18, 2021 9:06 PM

Feb 2016
what is this cringe writing
Yolo
May 18, 2021 10:31 PM

Jul 2014
Ok the family is starting to look for her now. I wonder how will that turn out to Yoshida, cops probably coming this time for sure?lmao
May 18, 2021 10:36 PM

Apr 2018
Finally she confessed to him but looks like Sayu is in trouble because her brother is here.
May 18, 2021 10:43 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, that attempted rapist from last time suddenly became a good guy.

Sayu's family is here to get her... something about the brother rubs me off.

Also, that end card... why is no one talking about it? Lol. Totally a reference to Ro-Kyu-Bu

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
May 18, 2021 10:59 PM
Mar 2021
sayu and asami strengthen friendship, mishima is childish and selfish i hate everything about her, you said some things that made me proud, we found out that the asshole is not very stupid, i feel that things between yoshida and sayu are going to get hot
May 19, 2021 7:41 AM

Sep 2018
I feel sorry for Yuzuha because I think the author is using her character to deliver lines that feel like they should come from a different character.

If the show cut out some of the dumb lecturing and just stuck with her earnestly trying to get closer to him it would feel much more natural.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
May 19, 2021 8:24 AM
Oct 2014
if they didn't want show aoi kanda in anime,so they must make airi gotou to be a winner
May 19, 2021 8:37 AM
Nov 2020
I like Mishima. She knows what she wants and isn't scared to put herself out there to get it.
May 19, 2021 1:55 PM
Feb 2021
Great episode but that CG car that Sayu's brother got out of looked really out of place
May 19, 2021 3:42 PM
Nov 2019
Reminder#3: Sayu Is One Of The Worst Characters Of All Time.
May 19, 2021 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
A girl from a rich family running away from home, how original
May 20, 2021 10:33 PM
May 2019
ImmortalZero said:
So what the hell was that talk with Mishima? Gotou just went complete 180 on everything she's been preaching these past episodes...

Also we have Sayu's brother showing up in the end which looks like Sayu comes from a rich family. Can already imagine various scenarios on what happened in the past. Like that kinda explains why there's no missing person search for Sayu since it would have been a big scandal for the company or something.
I have a good feeling she left because of an arranged marriage. The fact that her family is rich is icing on the cake for that scenario. Also the fact that those types of marriages are still quite common in Japan
May 20, 2021 10:48 PM

Mar 2016
She was loaded all along, yoshida eat the rich!!

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
May 21, 2021 8:40 AM
Jun 2019
Focus on the story and you all will know who will be the winner
May 21, 2021 1:34 PM

Dec 2014
the kouhai is so annoying, people actually like her?
May 21, 2021 11:14 PM
Apr 2017
Yoshida got confessed to again!? Crazy!
May 22, 2021 7:27 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
....and Yaguchi turned into a friendly and helpful character to Sayu kinda suddenly, oh well that's good I guess xD

Also I swear Mishima reminds me of Ruka from Rent a GF anime, almost everything about her.
She is kinda too interfering on other people's problems.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 22, 2021 8:24 AM

Nov 2013
this time yaguchi finally did something right helping sayu but i still hate him i just wanna protecc sayu i hope the brother doesn't bring her more trouble (i know he probably will but hope is the least i have)
May 22, 2021 10:14 AM

Feb 2007
Dear god, that end card was the greatest... :D
May 22, 2021 11:27 AM

May 2015
Searching party is here!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
May 22, 2021 11:28 AM
Apr 2021
A new take on Slice of life anime. Enjoying every episode and loving it so far.👌🏻
May 22, 2021 8:58 PM
Dec 2019
FMmatron said:

Yaguchi the MVP this episode.

Seriously, the guy who, seeing homeless kid he knew get a semblance of normal life with job and friends immediately wants to destroy it and kick her back to streets if she won't let him rape her, is now MVP cause did basic favor with no risk or cost to himself?

sabishiihito said:

If a former mass murderer like Vegeta can be redeemed, an attempted rapist can be redeemed. I think killing is a tad worse of a crime.

I don't think everybody agrees with redeeming Vegeta, but Dragon Ball is unrealistic shonen "fight with aliens, punch the planet" so few people care. You won't meet Vegeta in real life, but there are plenty of Yaguchis, so people treat those shows differently

nocivo said:

Why people need more excuses to hate Yaguchi? His mistake when he though she wanted sex wasn't enough. Do you guys think that someone that does a bad thing will always do bad things left and right? If he was a bandit he would be in jail for murder or something worse.He just helped his coworker. That something most people since first day and even more when you get to private with them more time. Nothing extraordinary. You don't need to excuse him for the mistakes he did but you shouldn't also asking for excuses to hate him even more.

We don't need excuses to hate Yaguchi, we want the show to treat his rape attempt seriously instead of pretending it was not a big deal. That it doesn't is clearly shown by the fact that you call "a mistake" his calculated approach of threatening a homeless kid with blackmail to get her alone with him when she clearly avoids him, lying to her he won't try to sex when she objects to let her guard down - so "he though she wanted sex" is completely wrong already, then forcefully convincing her to have sex even as he sees she hates the idea, and next day pretending he wasn't blackmailing her into sex even as she tells him she was sure she was, just so he doesn't have to feel bad about himself. He never told her she's free to refuse sex from him, and he kept ignoring her as she said she doesn't want it anyway, so claiming afterwards that he was merely asking for sex is just his self-serving bullshit.
He repeatably ignored her consent at every step from their work to her bed, that was clearly no mistake.
If he was bandit he would be in jail? You have just seen guy who, without Yoshida's intervention, gets away with blackmailing and raping a homeless kid without any consequence, and keeps thinking to himself that since she said okay in the end, he's not rapist. Based on this, how do you even know Yoshida hasn't raped several girls before? He's someone that can't even understand he did something wrong, blaming "do-gooders" instead, so in similar situation why wouldn't he do same thing? .If you now call his rape attempt merely a "mistake" then we are not shown enough reason to hate him.

Phantasy_Starved said:

I think this assessment is even better, because I admire someone being succinct:
Lelouch0202 said:
Yaguchi did a nice thing.

That's what happened. Just like last episode Yaguchi did a very bad thing, but said some true things. Also well done on catching on that Asami's dialogue was purposeful.

People are so concerned with Yaguchi getting his comeuppance and not getting any time to shine at the expense of reality or good fiction. I could almost hope he ends up with Sayu just so I can watch some brains melt.

I've read shoujou manga where main love interest tries to organize heroine's gangrape, plus in real life there are *still* places where rapists marry their victims to hush the scandal, so no, nobody's brain would melt from that.

When story shows evil character doing something nice, it's never just something that happened, because story always creates a message. The message can be a warning that evil people can pretend to be nice, or exploration of villain's psyche, or comparing to even worse villain, but it is there nonetheless. In this case, as demonstrated by so many people who think he's "guy with integrity", "made a mistake", "If he was a bandit he would be in jail", "Well he wasn’t necessarily bad [...] his recent assault on Sayu was probably cuz he was just real horny", the message seems to be that threating and raping a kid is just minor fault.
And BTW, Yaguchi didn't say any true things last episode. He would still try to rape Sayu even if Yoshida did send her back home and Yaguchi somehow met her again after, so his discussion of Yoshida's motives is pointless.
Bear_from_caveMay 22, 2021 10:27 PM
May 23, 2021 12:10 AM
Feb 2017
So does Yoshida like Gotou mainly because she looks like his ex?

For some reason I thought that Sayu came from a financially unstable and abusive family, but it turns out that her family is quite well off. Although,of course being wealthy wouldn't mean an emotionally stable environment. Interested in knowing what made her run away from her home.
May 23, 2021 12:25 AM
Apr 2016
I feel like this series has loss it's momentum after the intial hook.
May 23, 2021 8:59 AM

May 2017
Bear_from_cave said:
I've read shoujou manga where main love interest tries to organize heroine's gangrape, plus in real life there are *still* places where rapists marry their victims to hush the scandal, so no, nobody's brain would melt from that.

When story shows evil character doing something nice, it's never just something that happened, because story always creates a message. The message can be a warning that evil people can pretend to be nice, or exploration of villain's psyche, or comparing to even worse villain, but it is there nonetheless. In this case, as demonstrated by so many people who think he's "guy with integrity", "made a mistake", "If he was a bandit he would be in jail", "Well he wasn’t necessarily bad [...] his recent assault on Sayu was probably cuz he was just real horny", the message seems to be that threating and raping a kid is just minor fault.
And BTW, Yaguchi didn't say any true things last episode. He would still try to rape Sayu even if Yoshida did send her back home and Yaguchi somehow met her again after, so his discussion of Yoshida's motives is pointless.

Let's not go around in circles on this my man. This is why I prefer responding to people who make good points, instead of arguing with people who are just preaching. We all get your point dude, you don't have to keep repeating it every time someone pops in with the obvious counterview. But just to point out yet more logical fallacies of yours, and then please dear lord put this to rest:

1) Sure, rape fantasy shoujou manga exists, so what? This obviously isn't one, so yes, people's brain would melt if a (still 0% chance) Yaguchi became the 'winner'. Also, the fact that you make such an obviously poor take just to try to score a point, shows that you're just being argumentative.

2) Again, consider that perhaps the message isn't 'raping kids is okay' and maybe 'Sayu understands Saguchi a lot better now'. The whole damn story is built around the main character affirming that raping kids is not okay.

3) Your assertion that Saguchi would still rape Sayu is all on you. I hope that this isn't a case of projection.
May 23, 2021 4:36 PM
Dec 2018
Phantasy_Starved said:
Bear_from_cave said:

Let's not go around in circles on this my man. This is why I prefer responding to people who make good points, instead of arguing with people who are just preaching. We all get your point dude, you don't have to keep repeating it every time someone pops in with the obvious counterview. But just to point out yet more logical fallacies of yours, and then please dear lord put this to rest:

1) Sure, rape fantasy shoujou manga exists, so what? This obviously isn't one, so yes, people's brain would melt if a (still 0% chance) Yaguchi became the 'winner'. Also, the fact that you make such an obviously poor take just to try to score a point, shows that you're just being argumentative.

2) Again, consider that perhaps the message isn't 'raping kids is okay' and maybe 'Sayu understands Saguchi a lot better now'. The whole damn story is built around the main character affirming that raping kids is not okay.

3) Your assertion that Saguchi would still rape Sayu is all on you. I hope that this isn't a case of projection.

Yes, exactly, Yaguchi attempted to rape her that one time, and she had already said 'go ahead'. And he had slept with her plenty of times without raping her. Which probably had a lot to do with him trying to force the issue. The show seems to make a point of saying that he had 7 girlfriends, so raping people probably isn't the norm for him. And I'm sure that a lot of situations like this, in real life, happen because the guy thinks he is on a sure thing when, actually, he isn't. That doesn't excuse his behaviour but he probably isn't your usual rapist. And, besides, a bad guy can still do a good thing once in his life, he even said that he wasn't really helping her, he just hates rich people who think they can do whatever they like (which her brother never suggested, he was actually pretty polite considering that he probably knew she was there)

But, now that he has been warned off and been shown that Sayu isn't a 'sure thing' anymore, I don't think he will spend anymore time chasing her, it is not worth the effort for him.
Gab5May 23, 2021 4:42 PM
May 23, 2021 5:53 PM

May 2017
Gab5 said:
Yes, exactly, Yaguchi attempted to rape her that one time, and she had already said 'go ahead'. And he had slept with her plenty of times without raping her. Which probably had a lot to do with him trying to force the issue. The show seems to make a point of saying that he had 7 girlfriends, so raping people probably isn't the norm for him. And I'm sure that a lot of situations like this, in real life, happen because the guy thinks he is on a sure thing when, actually, he isn't. That doesn't excuse his behaviour but he probably isn't your usual rapist. And, besides, a bad guy can still do a good thing once in his life, he even said that he wasn't really helping her, he just hates rich people who think they can do whatever they like (which her brother never suggested, he was actually pretty polite considering that he probably knew she was there)

But, now that he has been warned off and been shown that Sayu isn't a 'sure thing' anymore, I don't think he will spend anymore time chasing her, it is not worth the effort for him.

Yes, thank you, this is exactly it. For everyone who doesn't like how it's portrayed in the anime, that's subjective and you have a right to your opinion, but Gab5's explanation here, this is objectively and correctly explaining Saguchi's role. And since Sayu also understands all this, and because she obviously has forgiven him to some extent, she has already moved on. No further explanation, such as attributing motive to the author is necessary.
May 24, 2021 8:44 AM
Dec 2019
Gab5 said:

No sane person would've thought you can threaten to destroy someone's job, corner her in empty place, then after repetadly demanding sex from her get a "yes" answer that would be in any way consensual. Rather, Yaguchi forcing Sayu to agree to her own rape is additional torture that would cause her even more mental scars. The fact that Yaguchi believed it would be consensual shows how sociopathic his idea of consent is. When we add the fact that after seeing girl who was selling her body on the streets before, and now has actual job and friends that aren't just for sex and roof, he wants to destroy her way to better life if she doesn't behave as he wants, show his casually cruel and controlling nature. I'm very curious if Yaguchi saying he hates people controlling other with power and helping her after that look at scared Sayu reminded him of how she looked at him and was a result of realistion of his own hypocrisy, thought that seems far-fetched based on how much in denial he was las episode.

There are plenty of cases when someone raped his former or current partner, laws punishing marital rape were introduced for a reason. Yaguchi's insistence that because he stil wants sex with her means that she must feel same way, even as she keeps refusing, is another example of sociopathic whinking, where Sayu must want same thing as he does.

Plenty of serial rapist were loving boyfriends and husbands, so Yaguchi having 7 girlfriends doesn't mean much. I'd even say that is another proof of his warped thinking that he was surprised when they dumped him after learning that. You can see parallels to Sayu's rape: He thinks they should be okay with poly relationship if he is - Sayu must be okay with sex if he is; girlfriends should've known they aren't in monogamic relationship somehow - Sayu should've known she safely can refuse sex even if he broke his promises and kept ignoring her refusals.

I think raping a clearly terrified girl and forcing her to agree to her own rape "one time" is still bad enough, but also imagine the possible consequences. If Yoshida didn't stop the rape, Sayu wouldn't have been able to hide it from Yoshida and Asami, but she would be rightly afraid that if she tells about rape Yoshida will get hurt, so most probably she would have run away again, back to selling herself to random man, this time much more traumatised, convinced she isn't worth anything and doesn't have right to refuse sex, and if another someone like Yoshida or Asami would try to help her she would've avoid them to not hurt them and not get false hope. That kind of life couldn't end well for her. Yaguchi's "one time" could've easily destroy her life and future.

I agree that he probably won't try to harm Sayu further, he seems to like his own fake image of a guy that's decent if horny, so once others forced him to at least partially notice what he tried to do was wrong, he seems to try and make it up to her even, maybe even noticing how warped his morals are. I wonder if we'll see him changing more in the story, or will we be left on his sudden and not very explained enlightement.

I disagree that he's that unusual for a rapist - there are many cases when rapist claims that eg. if female aquitance spent the night in his home because she was on trip in his and he offered a bed, she should've known it means sex so it was consensual, or that one Polish MP that asked "how can you even rape a prostitute?" because sex workers (like Sayu kinda was - the basis of their relationship) aren't allowed to refuse sex. Also, girl that avoids you, pretends to not know you and that has to be blackmailed into even talking to you is as far from "sure thing" as possible.
Besides, even his standard of "consensual sex" is pretty low, as he many times slept with teenage prostitute in exchange for basic necessities, which is moraly suspect and treated as rape in most countries - both the underage part and "she can't really refuse him in this situation" part. Jeffrey Epstein's whole business was based on similar thing.

EDIT: Oh, I also agree that brother seems to be nice guy - if he searched for her the entire time then her family may not be as bad, or at least part of it. Maybe Yoshida made a blunder in not reporting Sayu? After all, if he didn't get home and stop her rape, he would've be also responsible for her "bad end", which was pretty close thing.

Phantasy_Starved said:

Yes, thank you, this is exactly it. For everyone who doesn't like how it's portrayed in the anime, that's subjective and you have a right to your opinion, but Gab5's explanation here, this is objectively and correctly explaining Saguchi's role. And since Sayu also understands all this, and because she obviously has forgiven him to some extent, she has already moved on. No further explanation, such as attributing motive to the author is necessary.

If guy who thinks blackmailing job of people who avoid him to talk with them is normal, and refuses to admit asking sex from girl he blackmailed is rape, and feels entitled to any woman that ever slept with him consensualy before is objectively not someone with typical rapist mindset but just a guy who made a mistake, then the author failed to properly show the seriousness of rape.
Bear_from_caveMay 24, 2021 8:57 AM
May 24, 2021 9:57 AM
Dec 2018
Bear_from_cave said:

No sane person would've thought you can threaten to destroy someone's job, corner her in empty place, then after repetadly demanding sex from her get a "yes" answer that would be in any way consensual. Rather, Yaguchi forcing Sayu to agree to her own rape is additional torture that would cause her even more mental scars. The fact that Yaguchi believed it would be consensual shows how sociopathic his idea of consent is. When we add the fact that after seeing girl who was selling her body on the streets before, and now has actual job and friends that aren't just for sex and roof, he wants to destroy her way to better life if she doesn't behave as he wants, show his casually cruel and controlling nature. I'm very curious if Yaguchi saying he hates people controlling other with power and helping her after that look at scared Sayu reminded him of how she looked at him and was a result of realistion of his own hypocrisy, thought that seems far-fetched based on how much in denial he was las episode.

There are plenty of cases when someone raped his former or current partner, laws punishing marital rape were introduced for a reason. Yaguchi's insistence that because he stil wants sex with her means that she must feel same way, even as she keeps refusing, is another example of sociopathic whinking, where Sayu must want same thing as he does.

Plenty of serial rapist were loving boyfriends and husbands, so Yaguchi having 7 girlfriends doesn't mean much. I'd even say that is another proof of his warped thinking that he was surprised when they dumped him after learning that. You can see parallels to Sayu's rape: He thinks they should be okay with poly relationship if he is - Sayu must be okay with sex if he is; girlfriends should've known they aren't in monogamic relationship somehow - Sayu should've known she safely can refuse sex even if he broke his promises and kept ignoring her refusals.

I think raping a clearly terrified girl and forcing her to agree to her own rape "one time" is still bad enough, but also imagine the possible consequences. If Yoshida didn't stop the rape, Sayu wouldn't have been able to hide it from Yoshida and Asami, but she would be rightly afraid that if she tells about rape Yoshida will get hurt, so most probably she would have run away again, back to selling herself to random man, this time much more traumatised, convinced she isn't worth anything and doesn't have right to refuse sex, and if another someone like Yoshida or Asami would try to help her she would've avoid them to not hurt them and not get false hope. That kind of life couldn't end well for her. Yaguchi's "one time" could've easily destroy her life and future.

I agree that he probably won't try to harm Sayu further, he seems to like his own fake image of a guy that's decent if horny, so once others forced him to at least partially notice what he tried to do was wrong, he seems to try and make it up to her even, maybe even noticing how warped his morals are. I wonder if we'll see him changing more in the story, or will we be left on his sudden and not very explained enlightement.

I disagree that he's that unusual for a rapist - there are many cases when rapist claims that eg. if female aquitance spent the night in his home because she was on trip in his and he offered a bed, she should've known it means sex so it was consensual, or that one Polish MP that asked "how can you even rape a prostitute?" because sex workers (like Sayu kinda was - the basis of their relationship) aren't allowed to refuse sex. Also, girl that avoids you, pretends to not know you and that has to be blackmailed into even talking to you is as far from "sure thing" as possible.
Besides, even his standard of "consensual sex" is pretty low, as he many times slept with teenage prostitute in exchange for basic necessities, which is moraly suspect and treated as rape in most countries - both the underage part and "she can't really refuse him in this situation" part. Jeffrey Epstein's whole business was based on similar thing.

EDIT: Oh, I also agree that brother seems to be nice guy - if he searched for her the entire time then her family may not be as bad, or at least part of it. Maybe Yoshida made a blunder in not reporting Sayu? After all, if he didn't get home and stop her rape, he would've be also responsible for her "bad end", which was pretty close thing.

Phantasy_Starved said:

If guy who thinks blackmailing job of people who avoid him to talk with them is normal, and refuses to admit asking sex from girl he blackmailed is rape, and feels entitled to any woman that ever slept with him consensualy before is objectively not someone with typical rapist mindset but just a guy who made a mistake, then the author failed to properly show the seriousness of rape.

Even a sociopath can do a good thing, even if it is a result of their own warped or twisted logic. He told Yoshida that they had both broken the law, so I think he knew that his attempt to blackmail Sayu was an empty threat. I doubt very much that he thinks about himself in a way to judge whether what he is doing is good or bad. He just thinks about what he wants. I think the wiki describes him as hedonistic, he doesn't care about anything other than what he is feeling. Which is why a lot of hedonists are sociopathic, they only care about things that make them feel good, no matter the cost to others. Eventually, it turned out that lying to Sayu's brother gave him a kick and he so he did it, it just happened to help her out as well. He does tell her that she can't run forever, so, even though he only thinks for himself and was prepared to do something terrible, I think that is meant to be a sign that he is also capable of thinking straight at times. Regardless of how bad he was, it does seem as if the writer was trying to redeem him somewhat, maybe because they thought it was easier than introducing another character, although they could have got Asami to hide her and help her out. So, it seems to me, that the author was trying to create a grey area where this character was concerned.

Sure, plenty of serial rapists have relationships, but I think that Yaguchi isn't being written as a serial rapist and there is nothing to suggest that he has done this before. He even says so himself, in real life that would be questionable but I don't think that the writer would put that line in if he was like that, there's nowhere for that information to go, so I would assume that it was true.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that he slept with prostitutes, they clearly stated that he had 7 girlfriends, so he must have been at least keeping up the pretence of being in a normal relationship with him. And, of course, his idea of consensual sets the bar very low, but we know nothing about his relationships, other than they all thought they were his girlfriend.

Considering his connections, the brother could have come on a lot heavier than he did, especially as he probably knew she worked there. But giving out details of other people is a bit of a no no so he couldn't do much. Maybe he doesn't know much about why Sayu ran away. If Yoshida had reported her, it might have turned out ok, but maybe the brother wouldn't have got involved if she had returned home so quickly.

I'm not sure what the author is trying to say about this character, to be honest, it seems odd to attempt to redeem him after what he did but maybe the author is saying that there are grey characters and good people can do bad things and bad people can do good things. Which is a lot like real life.
May 24, 2021 10:23 AM
Dec 2019
I agree with most stuff so I'll just post additional explanation.
Gab5 said:

Sure, plenty of serial rapists have relationships, but I think that Yaguchi isn't being written as a serial rapist and there is nothing to suggest that he has done this before. He even says so himself, in real life that would be questionable but I don't think that the writer would put that line in if he was like that, there's nowhere for that information to go, so I would assume that it was true.

I agree he's not serial type, he values his own good image after all, I just wanted to say that previous good record doesn't mean that much. He's an accidental rapist, the type that would watch "the Implication" scene in "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and thought "so, guy tried to make good mood for sex?".

Gab5 said:

I'm not sure where you get the idea that he slept with prostitutes, they clearly stated that he had 7 girlfriends, so he must have been at least keeping up the pretence of being in a normal relationship with him. And, of course, his idea of consensual sets the bar very low, but we know nothing about his relationships, other than they all thought they were his girlfriend.

I meant that Sayu was technically selling her body but for "room and board" instead of money, so I tried to make analogy to underage prostitution like Epstein's island. Sayu's case seems even more immoral to me as it would be harder for her to refuse sex and go back to street, then again probably most underage prostitutes don't really have choice in what they do.

I agree that author probably tried to make realistic bad guy, and even succeeded, but unless they explore him more I'm not sure what are we supposed to make of his change, and how much of a change it even is.
I regret they didn't include at least more of his creepy backstory, or at least animated the scene from manga where she points out he lied about not raping her and he goes "Oh, you're right" which is so fitting for his weird outlook, and would make her laugh much more understandable.
May 24, 2021 10:47 AM
Dec 2018
Bear_from_cave said:
I agree with most stuff so I'll just post additional explanation.
Gab5 said:

I agree he's not serial type, he values his own good image after all, I just wanted to say that previous good record doesn't mean that much. He's an accidental rapist, the type that would watch "the Implication" scene in "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and thought "so, guy tried to make good mood for sex?".

Gab5 said:

I meant that Sayu was technically selling her body but for "room and board" instead of money, so I tried to make analogy to underage prostitution like Epstein's island. Sayu's case seems even more immoral to me as it would be harder for her to refuse sex and go back to street, then again probably most underage prostitutes don't really have choice in what they do.

I agree that author probably tried to make realistic bad guy, and even succeeded, but unless they explore him more I'm not sure what are we supposed to make of his change, and how much of a change it even is.
I regret they didn't include at least more of his creepy backstory, or at least animated the scene from manga where she points out he lied about not raping her and he goes "Oh, you're right" which is so fitting for his weird outlook, and would make her laugh much more understandable.

No, it wouldn't usually, I just think the author has decided to redeem him for some reason. I suppose they couldn't have him arrested as he would have talked about Sayu and Yoshida, so they had to do something with the character. I think they just decided to make him chill out as he isn't significant anymore. If he stays evil, he's just distracting from the main plot.

True, it amounts to the same thing. I just read on one of the other threads that her brother gave her 300,000 yen, so it makes her behaviour even more foolish as the money was always going to run out when she blew it and what did she think was going to happen then?

I think they could have had him trying to blackmail her without going so far as he did. The way they have tried to redeem him would have felt slightly more realistic then. Not sure why they had to put rape into the equation at all, she was sleeping with guys anyway and that whole part of the story hasn't really added much, just gave Yoshida a chance to come home to save her. It added to the drama, I suppose, but then they play it down afterwards. So I assume that the 'bad people can do good things' message is the reason. Most of the other characters a grey in some way but his crimes were a bit too serious to turn him into a grey character.
May 24, 2021 11:48 AM
Dec 2019
Gab5 said:

Considering his connections, the brother could have come on a lot heavier than he did, especially as he probably knew she worked there. But giving out details of other people is a bit of a no no so he couldn't do much. Maybe he doesn't know much about why Sayu ran away. If Yoshida had reported her, it might have turned out ok, but maybe the brother wouldn't have got involved if she had returned home so quickly.

I just noticed that I wrote that unclearly, I meant that in first episode Yoshida decides to let Sayu stay in large part because her family isn't even looking for her, but now we know it's was not true, they just did it unofficially for some reason, and his decision to let her stay was based on false premise.
That decision was made with Sayu's good in mind, but it also made her vulnerable for creeps like Yaguchi. If Sayu ended up raped in Yoshida's home and traumatized how could Yoshida look the brother in the face?
May 24, 2021 11:53 AM
Dec 2018
Bear_from_cave said:
Gab5 said:

I just noticed that I wrote that unclearly, I meant that in first episode Yoshida decides to let Sayu stay in large part because her family isn't even looking for her, but now we know it's was not true, they just did it unofficially for some reason, and his decision to let her stay was based on false premise.
That decision was made with Sayu's good in mind, but it also made her vulnerable for creeps like Yaguchi. If Sayu ended up raped in Yoshida's home and traumatized how could Yoshida look the brother in the face?

Yes, the parents didn't seem to be looking for her. Seeing as the brother is CEO of his own company, and obviously doing very well, I assume that they didn't want it to become public that she ran away. Or maybe the parents have got the brother to look for her. It remains to be seen how much the brother knows, although he knew she was running away, but maybe he didn't know why. Or maybe she said she was going to see someone and he didn't know she was going to run.

Definitely, the brother should be grateful that she ended in a good place. She also probably didn't stay anywhere else long enough for him to be able to track her down.
May 25, 2021 12:13 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmmm, it should be more interesting now that her brother is appearing
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2021

307 by SakakiKomachi »»
Sep 14, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2021

187 by LordCrueltyV »»
Aug 24, 7:53 PM

» I am puzzled asf 😩 (Might be spoiler)

neel_senpai - Aug 12

20 by Barbyjessy »»
Aug 13, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2021

213 by whitebeartigtig »»
Jun 2, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2021

156 by whitebeartigtig »»
Jun 2, 5:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.