Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work! CODE BLACK
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 8, 2021 11:20 PM

Dec 2019
Great... Now I'm reflecting on the state of my own body...
Jan 9, 2021 12:14 AM
Sep 2013
Damn this episode was pretty good (if not gruesome especially after watching Cells at Work Season 2 ep 1 haha). Can't wait for the next episode! Does anyone know how many episodes this is going to be.
Jan 9, 2021 2:55 AM

Jan 2021
I decided to watch this version instead of the original series since it's more realistic. While the other anime turned to fast into a bland monster of the week with way to many happy moments, Black will stay focused on the body itself and how our cells have to fight everyday to keep the body running.

The overall dark tone with the heavy music and rough design is also quite fitting.
Jan 9, 2021 6:02 AM

Dec 2017
I really liked the 90's vibe of that recruiting video. And right after the harsh reality of the real work setting where even the platellets treat you like trash
Jan 9, 2021 6:03 AM
Oct 2015
pretty good first episode, but did they leave out the Stress Hormone guys entirely?
Jan 9, 2021 6:08 AM

Dec 2017
begija said:
Was the guy at the end (who wakes up) the real body?

I thought so right when it appeared, but the design is Sekkekyu's and the red jacket uniform is ranging in the wall.
Jan 9, 2021 6:16 AM

Dec 2017
2077 said:

the new cell designs - not really sure what you call them, but they're looking pretty nice. i thought that neutrophil looked familiar, and then i realised she kinda looks similar to esdeath from akame ga kill. or is it just me? .

Not just you buddy. I remembered Esdeath right after Neutrophil's enter, the way she moved, how she combined sword swings with kicks, one could easily use some Esdeath combat pose as reference for Neutrophil and it would fit her just right.
Jan 9, 2021 6:35 AM

Dec 2020
Watched episode 1 of the original season 2 and this and I actually like this with actual plot tension in a new scenario setting. The art in Black feels more detailed as well.
Jan 9, 2021 6:58 AM
May 2018
Never going to drink alcohol or any other stuff that are going to hurt my cells
Jan 9, 2021 8:40 AM
Oct 2019
Wow what a Great first episode...
This is definitely Dark AF..
The body was full of unhealthy stuff...

Having Tsuda Kenjiro as Narrator was such a Great choice...

If you are smoking and watching this, you must be felt so guilty...
Damn it was scary, lucky i never smoke in my life...

I wonder how many people will start take care their body after watching this...

Next Episode is about Liver and Alcohol... God damn... They just straight into shit..
davidyodo24Jan 9, 2021 9:04 AM
Jan 9, 2021 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
I absolutely prefer this version than original. More dark, serious, mature. Reminds me of Railgun and The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke (Both are spin-offs from original series same as this show). I can say this is very brutal episode. Looking forward to future developments.
Jan 9, 2021 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
An army of Esdeaths flowing through my body gives me goosebumps ♥
Janethan23Jan 9, 2021 10:15 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 9, 2021 10:49 AM

Dec 2013
Saturdays are going to be so jarring with the tone shift going from S2 to Black, way better than any PSA, take care of your body, you only have one.
Jan 9, 2021 12:58 PM

Sep 2020
Well, I never had interest in smoking.
Fortunatelly my red cells are happy.
Jan 9, 2021 5:13 PM
Jan 2021
I'm surprised by how different this anime is compared to the original series.
Jan 9, 2021 8:48 PM

Jul 2016
Seeing the Platelets not smiling feels like a punch to the gut.

First episode and we already have a heroic sacrifice scene. Mad respects to that brave RBC senpai.

Overall, very nice start but I'm honestly looking forward to the more severe cases. Kinda curious to see the ones focused on the reproductive system and stuff.
Jan 9, 2021 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
I feel so bad for my body after watching the first episode 💀.
Jan 9, 2021 10:16 PM

Nov 2012
Damn that white blood cell has a nice rack on her.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Jan 10, 2021 5:06 AM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
I love the casting of Tsuda Kenjirou as narrator for this version, it’s absolutely perfect! 😆
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Jan 10, 2021 7:17 AM
Aug 2016
Already two or more RBC Senpai died in the body, damn. I felt stress just by watching episode 1. 11.15pm now in my country, time for sleep.

I want to treat my RBC-tachi better.

Oh ya, big welcome to Ms WBC.
Jan 10, 2021 10:16 AM
Jul 2020
Half Ass Series 4/10.
Jan 10, 2021 10:21 AM

Jun 2015
This intro scene planted the fear of god in me. I should take better care of my body. I will exercise and sleep early T_T
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 10, 2021 11:14 AM
Apr 2018
you think this body is bad ?
wait till u see the 2nd arc
Jan 10, 2021 11:31 AM
Nov 2020
I've read the manga a while back maybe around the start of quarenteen, and I somewhat knew what to expect (this is spoiler free btw) but I didn't expect it to exceeded my expectations. It had a very dark and sad gloomy atmosphere every single passing chapter and it kept shattering my heart. It was very heartbreaking, I think I almost cried in one of the chapters? But I do feel like it's a good thing they made the spin-off to show how much you do need to take care of your body.
But overall, good luck guys 😃👍
Jan 10, 2021 8:37 PM
Jul 2017
omg I want to hug my red blood cells and tell them I'm sorry and I'll get more exercise and more sleep if they just hang on a little while longer.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Jan 11, 2021 5:30 AM

Apr 2012
Ashhk said:
Hmm so it's the "hardcore" version of Hataraku Saibou, pretty good first episode, but this body is really destroyed, he/she needs to quit smoking xD

I love how both shows can actually seem like ironic parodies of each other. Not to mention, Black as a darker version suddenly seems incredibly realistic due to the satire on modern Japanese society. Metaphor of cholesterol plaques as illegal dumps, LMAO.

FMmatron said:
Sondfer said:

Well this is only the beginning, now alcohol and everything else will pile up.

Abusing P.E.D/steroids would be nice as well xD

I don't smoke because I have a chronic runny nose, but heck, after this show I felt even more ashamed of my health than after the original, lol. This show should be shown to anyone with bad habits.

@KANLen09 I wonder when we can watch the movie. Because he "took" part of the plot from the second season. But anyway, I love how Linden adapted it. The show feels like your typical shonen-ish seinen.
Jan 11, 2021 5:54 AM
Sep 2014
I'mma be real, I'm mainly watching this for White Blood Cell's massive anime titties.
Jan 11, 2021 6:39 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
Ashhk said:
Hmm so it's the "hardcore" version of Hataraku Saibou, pretty good first episode, but this body is really destroyed, he/she needs to quit smoking xD

I love how both shows can actually seem like ironic parodies of each other. Not to mention, Black as a darker version suddenly seems incredibly realistic due to the satire on modern Japanese society. Metaphor of cholesterol plaques as illegal dumps, LMAO.

FMmatron said:

Abusing P.E.D/steroids would be nice as well xD

I don't smoke because I have a chronic runny nose, but heck, after this show I felt even more ashamed of my health than after the original, lol. This show should be shown to anyone with bad habits.

@KANLen09 I wonder when we can watch the movie. Because he "took" part of the plot from the second season. But anyway, I love how Linden adapted it. The show feels like your typical shonen-ish seinen.

I used to smoke quite a bit during my late teens, especially on parties. Nowadays I only do it ocasionally and during short periods. Still think my hangovers did more damage xD As for my worst daily habits, probably that I consume way too much cheap meat, articificial sweeteners and coffein.coffee in moderation, but I went crazy on overdosing pre-workout booster) I also gulp down my food without chewing properly, have junk binges and I don't take enough time for myself where I just relax without having to think about anything(unless I count watching anime lol) Some habits have already catched up with me and I'm only 23. So hopefully this series will have some additional positive impact on us xD

BoganZ said:
I'mma be real, I'm mainly watching this for White Blood Cell's massive anime titties.

I can respect that

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 11, 2021 8:35 AM

Apr 2012
@FMmatron Alcohol, huh. I remember overusing vodka with pepper at a childhood friend's birthday party and ended up burning my mouth so badly that my gums became inflamed and I even lost two teeth. This was a good lesson for me that you can seriously ruin your health even with small "efforts".

Jan 11, 2021 1:20 PM

May 2015
I don't understand why this had to be a spin-off instead of being part of the main series. Was it too hard to show other bodies from time to time?
Jan 11, 2021 3:50 PM
Oct 2013
Hataraku Saibou but darker!
Jan 11, 2021 10:05 PM

Mar 2016
Yep. This definitely lives up to the Code Black name alright. Darker shades to all the colours and an interesting style of shadowing/shading show this ain't the happy go lucky show of its parent.

The OP sequence though (shown at the end) gave the impression though that while darker, this 1st ep would actually be darker than the rest of the series. Although looking at the preview for ep2 that may not be the case, which would actually be good in my opinion. If you're going to do a show about an unhealthy body, don't pull punches on showing the horrible effects.
Jan 11, 2021 10:07 PM

Jan 2013
Wow, this is on a completely different vibe than the original series xD Much darker, that's for sure.
The next episode is in the liver? And our boys are going to a party? lmao

An exciting start, can't wait for more.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 12, 2021 12:47 AM

Apr 2018
Damn Cells at Work Black is really dark which makes sense to call it Black. I really dig the op or the ed whichever itis.

I really like the dark setting tho I wonder what the body will go through in the coming episodes.
Jan 12, 2021 3:42 AM

Feb 2014
This one has most of the OG cast all on the mature side now. They did my Platlet straight to JK XD
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 12, 2021 2:13 PM
Oct 2019
Kind off unpopular opinion i guess:
The white blood cell's design really put me off. Why do all the badass female characters in the cells at work series have the same body? Macrophges, NK-cell and now the white blood cell. I get the design of all the T-cells being muscular to represent their strenght and all that. But why are the women just automatically big-busted. That won't help them in a fight at all and they already sexualized the white blood cell in the first episode. It just makes me really uncomfortable.
Jan 12, 2021 9:46 PM
May 2013
This is the best anti-smoking PSA I've ever seen.
Jan 13, 2021 3:07 PM

Aug 2016
Alright, alright, I will try to stop smoking already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2021 4:06 PM

Feb 2012
Senpai's speech to the protagonist, damn, just restrain emotions, smile and do ya job....

In this unhealthy body there's more internal conflict; the cholesterol has nowhere to go so this anime presents LDL as characters illegally dumping it; causing arteries to clog up which slows down the red blood cells' job.

Putting the training video and the preview together--- this anime is trying to tell me that the liver is the red light district of the body????

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 13, 2021 10:22 PM

Jan 2018
This is amazing, I had good expectations of it but it turned even beter than I tought it would be.
I really like this version of Hataraku Saibou.
The art style is slightly different than the original but it can't be helped since it's made by a different studio but i'm ont saying that's a bad thing, it actually goes pretty well with this dark theme.
Jan 14, 2021 12:02 PM

Nov 2014
I like it much more than the original. I don't want to judge after just one episode, but it also seems to be much more reasonable with narration - something that bothered me in "white" version were those walls of text with elementary school bilogy trivia.
Those platelets tho...
JustAnotherShiroJan 14, 2021 12:06 PM
Jan 14, 2021 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
I was watching the other hataraku saibou before jumping here so even though this version on its own isnt that dark, it was a major contrast which really took me back ngl
Jan 14, 2021 7:18 PM

Jan 2014
What an interesting concept for an anime. Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Loved it.
Jan 14, 2021 8:45 PM

Aug 2019
Cells at work but it's actually good?!?!?
Jan 14, 2021 9:51 PM
Jun 2019
Particularmente me encantó, estudio Medicina y ver la simpleza de la serie en mostrar eventos fisiopatologicos tanto simples como complejos me parece increible, por la imaginacion del autor para transmitir las ideas y manejar esos conceptos de manera simple, muy buena, recomendadisima.
Jan 15, 2021 5:10 PM

Oct 2012
I already read a couple chapters of hataraku saibo black years ago, so I already knew what to expect but wow, to think they would air the original and black the same season. Personally, I prefer black because disease is more interesting (that might be my interest in medicine/healthcare talking.. lol). Anyway I LOVE IT AND THE GUILT IT MAKES ME FEEL AS I SIT HERE WATCHING ANIME HAHA.
I like to see people's reactions at the stark contrast between the 2 series lmao. no more cuteness, here's the reality of the world
Jan 15, 2021 5:54 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Finally i have a time to watch this shit.
And yes, its not a dissapointment. Thats the real body must be supposed to be. Because peoples nowaday just full of stress, smoke, and a lot of any bad habit, making the depth of the body will look like that, entirely. Lol. I feel bad for those eyeglasses rbc. They got a wrong briefing, only to made them feel hell later. Thats what a real life, full of lies, full of rough and cruel environment. Even their vessels looked so nasty. These show depicting it pretty good, as i am hyping it at the entire time.

Not gonna mentioned how wbc were all the big tiddies lady, because of its coarses situations. They all evolved into something unexpectedly. Yeah that parts. Lol. Even the narrator was Kenjirou with his usual rude kind of sound, make the nuances felt real to the entire durations. Great. Even that Platelets were all just full of hard-looking chibi that supposed to face a lot of danger in front of them. Its a death flag. Not even cuteness can prevent any batshit happened at the world, and its a nice way to spin-off everything from whatever happened in the main series. Darkness is always good, to portray the real shit happened and become more relatable. You just need to work, work, work, work, and work. Cause they had a job to to, no questions. Feelsbadman, but they must faced it, like those bald rbc. In the end, be strong, you cells!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 16, 2021 3:00 AM

Mar 2009
Minus the smoking, is this my body? Poor cells.

Cells at Work Code Black certainly has an edge to it compared to its parent series. The platelets were the most shocking to me; like a night-and-day difference.
Anyway, seems a hell of a lot more interesting than the regular Cells at Work.

That is one busty white blood cell, by the way.
Jan 16, 2021 4:27 PM

Jan 2021
I have never seen any of the other Cells At Work animes, but this one looks awesome. Also, as mentioned by several people, that white blood cell is a hottie, and pretty tough also.
Jan 16, 2021 10:51 PM
Dec 2019
what if this was a sequel to the original but everyone was dead.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 18, 2021

160 by Beguni »»
May 27, 8:54 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 28, 2021

68 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 19, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Do you love your body?

Shizuna - Apr 8

7 by johnythepvpgod »»
Apr 12, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Feb 25, 2021

110 by Penguinu »»
Jan 12, 1:06 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 4, 2021

68 by Distrekzy »»
Sep 27, 2023 7:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.