Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 9, 2019 11:30 AM

Jul 2016
here's the deal, if you feel disturbed with these kinds of thing in anime, then don't watch it. simple as that. i recommend you read it first before you judge. if you dont really like reading light novels then read the manga like i do.
Jan 9, 2019 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
Welcome to 2019, kids.

No, but in all seriousness, I find this to be ridiculous. This is a work of of fiction, and if people are now going to criticise fiction for including controversial themes, then we are slowly going to lose our creativity. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having rape accusations as a theme of a work. In the end, it's all about perspective.
Jan 9, 2019 12:12 PM

Nov 2009
changelog said:
Welcome to 2019, kids.

No, but in all seriousness, I find this to be ridiculous. This is a work of of fiction, and if people are now going to criticise fiction for including controversial themes, then we are slowly going to lose our creativity. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having rape accusations as a theme of a work. In the end, it's all about perspective.
Before 2019, no work of fiction was criticized and analyzed for its themes. It is know.
Jan 9, 2019 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
Bernrika said:
changelog said:
Welcome to 2019, kids.

Before 2019, no work of fiction was criticized and analyzed for its themes. It is know.

Nah, it was. I studied 8 years at a religious school and was called a satanist for liking Pokemon. It was the 90s.
But I think social media is giving more plataform to this kinda of stuff.

Jan 9, 2019 12:39 PM

Feb 2013
Frroku said:
I mean, it's obvious that if it's a fantasy / Isekai, at some point it will contain rape. People should already know it. Moreover, this is nothing compared to berserk. They had never experienced the nightmare as berserk readers did.

It won't have rape. It never happened on the LN.
Jan 9, 2019 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
caio_brb said:
Frroku said:
I mean, it's obvious that if it's a fantasy / Isekai, at some point it will contain rape. People should already know it. Moreover, this is nothing compared to berserk. They had never experienced the nightmare as berserk readers did.

It won't have rape. It never happened on the LN.

Forgive me. I should have added an attempted rape or even a rape. I momentarily forgot that the original source was an LN.
Jan 9, 2019 12:45 PM

Apr 2017
In summary, everything is very problematic.
Jan 9, 2019 12:52 PM

Nov 2009
taynis said:
Bernrika said:

Nah, it was. I studied 8 years at a religious school and was called a satanist for liking Pokemon. It was the 90s.
But I think social media is giving more plataform to this kinda of stuff.

It was sarcasm. Every piece of fiction ever gets analyzed and criticized, it's literally part of the writing process.
Jan 9, 2019 2:18 PM

Jun 2008
Sooo....did this become a “movement” or in the end was it just the ramblings of ONE guy?

Meanwhile, some of the comments here are the typical “SJWs ruin everything” nonsense.

What exactly did they ruin I wonder?

Does anyone with a brain actually believe the people involved with making this anime will actually give a single fuck about what some idiot from America said on Twitter?

I mean, I gotta hand it to the Right-Wing...they have effectively been able to draw sooo many people to HATE “the left” due to their nonstop fear-mongering on the SJW-boogeymen and how they’re coming to ruin your fun and take away your freedom of speech or whatever other nonsense they’ll attribute to them.

And BTW, I say this stuff as someone who fully bought into the Anti-SJW narrative, and was also on a war path to destroy those EVIL SJWs no matter what!

Then I actually saw them for what they really are....a bunch of nobodies, spewing dumbass opinions on the internet just like everyone else.
Jan 9, 2019 2:56 PM

Oct 2014
--ALEX-- said:
Sooo....did this become a “movement” or in the end was it just the ramblings of ONE guy?

Meanwhile, some of the comments here are the typical “SJWs ruin everything” nonsense.

Does anyone with a brain actually believe the people involved with making this anime will actually give a single fuck about what some idiot from America said on Twitter?

I mean, I gotta hand it to the Right-Wing...they have effectively been able to draw sooo many people to HATE “the left” due to their nonstop fear-mongering on the SJW-boogeymen and how they’re coming to ruin your fun and take away your freedom of speech or whatever other nonsense they’ll attribute to them.

And BTW, I say this stuff as someone who fully bought into the Anti-SJW narrative, and was also on a war path to destroy those EVIL SJWs no matter what!

Then I actually saw them for what they really are....a bunch of nobodies, spewing dumbass opinions on the internet just like everyone else.

Just the Rambling of a Guy who is part of ANN really.
He and a couple of Others gave the Show an early impression Review. Some where politically Charged, others had criticisms that were not Politically motivated.

I wouldn't really hate the left though. it's just that I see some Stupid stuff from those who lean towards that side. but I don't call them Lefties, I call them stupid.
And I believe that Righties also say some Stupid stuff.

but I would not see them as Boogeymen, but rather as individuals who have Opinions and beliefs where I disagree with them.

It's just that there is so much Shit tossing that a Decent Argument cannot be made sadly......

Then there is the NPC thing. the anti-sjw crowd really think that they have a good insult with that. but the NPC can just as easily be used against them because they say the same dam things as well XD

so on what side are you on?
Jan 9, 2019 3:17 PM

Feb 2010
Bourmegar said:
--ALEX-- said:

Just the Rambling of a Guy who is part of ANN really.
He and a couple of Others gave the Show an early impression Review. Some where politically Charged, others had criticisms that were not Politically motivated.

I wouldn't really hate the left though. it's just that I see some Stupid stuff from those who lean towards that side. but I don't call them Lefties, I call them stupid.
And I believe that Righties also say some Stupid stuff.

but I would not see them as Boogeymen, but rather as individuals who have Opinions and beliefs where I disagree with them.

It's just that there is so much Shit tossing that a Decent Argument cannot be made sadly......

Then there is the NPC thing. the anti-sjw crowd really think that they have a good insult with that. but the NPC can just as easily be used against them because they say the same dam things as well XD

so on what side are you on?

How to sum this thread up.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jan 9, 2019 3:24 PM

Jan 2018
Can we stop with the political debates and just watch anime? Please?
Jan 9, 2019 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
It's funny that people think the show is misogynistic despite the fact that it was created by a woman.
Jan 9, 2019 3:40 PM

May 2016
harshtruth said:
lmao imagine if berserk aired during this time when guts was raped as a boy by the guy that bought him or caska's rape by femto that caused a miscarriage

Important distinction: Those acts in Berserk were carried out by villains. We're not supposed to root for Griffith or Donovan. Shield Hero expects us to root for the main character.
PunkRocker2001 said:
It's funny that people think the show is misogynistic despite the fact that it was created by a woman.

You seriously think women can't be misogynistic? Just look at any of the women in the Trump administration, who are perfectly okay slavishly prostrating themselves before an admitted rapist who thinks sexual assault is a-okay.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 9, 2019 3:47 PM

Jan 2019
DrSexy said:
Seems like the bullshit that started when "Goblin Slayer" aired continues to live with "Rise of the Shield Hero". I just wonder why people suddenly have started to complain about rape and violence in anime when it was always present. Where are these people coming from?

Idiots on twitter are not relevant.
Jan 9, 2019 3:55 PM

Oct 2013
This just makes me want to watch it if only just to see how bad it actually is. I mean, I finally watched ep 1 of Goblin Slayer,and have to say I've seen a lot worse.
Jan 9, 2019 4:17 PM

Nov 2013
I have a strong dislike for buzzwords (SJW etc.), since they are silly and are used to shut down a differing opinion. That applies to both camps.

To create a controversy out of nowhere is nothing new. In the past it was about books (for example The Sorrows of Young Werther and the D&D rulebook), then it was about games (for reference this movie and the events it's based on: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazes_and_Monsters), then video games and now it's the anime's turn. But some people are more thin-skinned nowadays, though it's emphasized by the availability of mass media, especially the Internet. Whether they actually mean or it's to gather attention and "clicks".

I'll correct myself: the gender of the author is not specified on most sites. It shouldn't influence the discussion, but it undoubtedly would.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 9, 2019 4:49 PM

Jan 2013
Hedwiros said:
Idiots on twitter are not relevant.

You only have to give a quick glance at his twitter to realize he is a raging lunatic lefty.
Jan 9, 2019 5:11 PM

Aug 2018
What's new? Always some "moralist" that is actually an asshole and probably would kill her own mother to gain attention is complaining about stuff like that so later he can masturbate thinking in other fake assholes giving him the reason. It's pathetic.
Jan 9, 2019 5:18 PM

Aug 2018
Pullman said:
TripleSRank said:

Idk. For whatever reason I just don’t see radical right-wingers taking the instigating role around here as much. It seems like it’s more often reactive to something a SJW has said or done. I’m not particularly active in other communities so it’s not a surprise I wouldn’t notice it there, though. Maybe it’s worse in those communites than it is in the anime community?

SJWs think they’re morally justified in their beliefs, so I think they’re more likely to go around trumpeting them— and moderate leftists don’t seem as likely (from my perspective) to disassociate with them because they have similar beliefs that they just aren’t as vocal about. As for this thread specifically, calling it misogynistic is extreme, but thinking the setup in Shield Hero is problematic is a position I’m sympathetic to even if I’m not passionate about it.

Nobody wants to be called racist or sexist though (which is what the far right is generally accused of) unless they’re literally part of the neo-KKK or something, and there aren’t exactly many people going around saying “hey this is a great show because it keeps women in a subservient role!” or anything of the like. I believe the vast majority of first-world country people would disassociate with that regardless of political association (and I think saying hate stuff is automatically “radical right” is disingenuous too, but that’s getting into another topic).

But yeah, who knows. Maybe I just don’t notice it as much due to political bias. That’s why I was wondering if you had any examples off-hand since it might not be something I explicitly pay as much attention to.

And the right don't think they're morally justified? Or why did you find it worthy to emphasize that fact on the left? Seems weirdly biased. But that just as a sidenote.

And as I tried to show with my list of examples, the right are just as happy to shit on fiction for not conforming to their norms. That doesn't mean they will praise something when it is outright misogynistic as you said and I never even remotely hinted at that, but they will shit on anything that is progressive in any sense and declare it as part of some SJW conspiracy to manipulate the media just like SJWs shit on anything they can construct as being 'misogynistic' or contrary to their values.

I really don't understand why I have to repeat that, I'm pretty sure I was clear about that in my previous reply and I guess if you didn't get it then, you won't now either, but I feel I have to try at least once more.

If you don't believe me look up the reaction to High Guardian Spice or the Ghostbusters remake or modern comics yourself. There's plenty of material out there and those topics are just the tip of the iceberg, the ones where the backlack got so big that it overshadowed or overshadows the work itself. For every example there's a dozen more where the 'controversy' was limited to the specific fandoms, like this Shield Hero 'controversy' is.

There is no inherent difference between criticizing a work for putting in false rape accusations or harem slaves because those ideas disagree with what you want to see and your values, and criticizing it for using women/having feminist values or Black or Trans characters or actors instead of white hetero male ones because that disagrees with what you want to see and you values. I've even seen people complain about fat characters being in a show making it too inclusive and therefore being sjw propaganda. And not just once. Anything deviating from the cis hetero male norm will find at least some right-wingers, and in some cases a broad front of them, shitting on it for no other reason than that they perceive it as being progressive and therefore part of the SJW agenda which goes against their political and social values. Same reasons why SJWs complain about stuff they perceive as going against their values. And most of the time it's bullshit and overreactions on both sides.

If you're really that unaware of how many people shit on fiction for reasons like too many blacks, too many women, too many trans, too much feminism, even to the point of large-scale boycotting some of them, then I'm sorry to say that you must have lived under a rock for the past couple of years. But I haven't, I've actually watched and liked some of the targeted 'SJW propaganda' series (I didn't know they were that hated before I watched them) and got for example unsolicited comments or PNs on MAL, calling me a SJW for simply rocking a Steven Universe avatar and forum set for a while.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I never delved into the fandoms of SU or Sense8 (two of my favorite shows from the last few years), I just scratched the surface and realized how much hate there is for them from the right that completely ignores anything related to how good something is, how well it is executed, how it approaches certain themes and shits on it purely for certain elements being present in somewhat important roles. Be it homosexuality or transsexuality or non-standard bodytypes. It frustrated me so much that I didn't even want to talk about those shows on the internet unless in private, because you never know how people will react once they know you like them. It might instantly turn into a political debate, and I wanted to avoid that.

And those aren't quite mainstream enough to really make it to the public discourse, unlike some of my other examples. But seriously, just google any recent movie or Series that is somewhat popular and focuses on blacks, homosexuality, transsexuality or related topics and you will find a multitude of backlash comments, often much angrier and antagonizing than the ones about Shield Hero that started this thread. Even if it is something widely acclaimed like Get Out, you get the backlash of 'racism against whites' etc...

The only difference is noone bothers to make MAL threads about random comments like that so if you get all your opinions on the current discourse on politics and media from MAL you might think that it's always SJWs taking issue with fiction for political reason, but once you come out from under that rock it's impossible to still think that. You don't even need to be terribly active of other communities or examples (I'm not). It's just so omnipresent.

So yeah, if you're still asking for 'examples' after two posts full of them, then that's on you. I'm already annoyed enough I had to repeat myself once and I'm not gonna do it again. If you want to believe it's only SJWs who stir up shit regarding what is in fiction, then feel free to keep living in that dreamworld. I can't do anything more to convince you of how things actually are than I already did. For my own mental health (because I'm really starting to HATE these political debates centered around escapist fiction) this is gonna be my last reply to this thread. I already didn't want to write this one tbh.

I'll just say one last thing and that is that the people who 'stir up shit' are, in my opinion, more the ones like OP who spread twitter comments or the likes, with usually very limited ranges, and turn them into this huge community-wide deal while blaming the person they quote for 'instigating' a shitstorm that would not exist if they themselves hadn't gone out of their way to involve as many people as possible in what would otherwise have just been a random twitter post with limited reach.

Sometimes they spread the word about a stupid post because they're part of the opposing political side and see an opportunity to weaken the credibility of their opponents, but I also think a lot of the time (like probably in this case) it's people who don't care either way and just enjoy creating shitstorms for the sake of it. They know people on both sides are just waiting for any opportunity to go at each others throats, so they provide those opportunities and lean back to enjoy what ensues, with the pleasant side effect of also triggering people like me who'd like to keep all that political bs out of areas like MAL. It's perfect for trolls.

So yeah, people having their politically biased opinions on fiction isn't the real problem. I find those opinions stupid most of the time, but almost without exception it's always someone else (either from the other side of the political spectrum, or someone outside of it) who is actually responsible for turning these uttered opinions into large-scale shitstorms. They're the real assholes in this whole story as far as I'm concerned. They're the instigators. So if you mostly see topics complaining about what SJWs say on MAL, you can know one thing for sure: The instigators are unlikely to be leftist themselves. They're either right-wing or just trolls trying to create shitstorms. If they've given you the impression that it's the other way round, they've successfully tricked you tbh. It's never the same people making the MAL threads that make the initial 'controversial' comments.

Just saying tho, progressives leftist and the conservative right imo do the same thing but with different argumets. Same shit with different smell.

Also I agree that some are just a bunch of trolls.
Jan 9, 2019 5:22 PM

Nov 2016
Manaban said:
Meh. It's always gotta be some right versus left shitfest, and I guess now there's going to be some hot political topic or series that's unavoidably going to serve as a vessel for their stupid, stagnant trench warfare. HGS, Goblin Slayer, now this fucking Shield LN adaptation.

Fuck me sideways. It feels like every day we're edging closer to CE 2.0 territory. I've been around for this shit before on other forums and I don't like where it leads at all.

Pullman said:
It should be more about Us (as in the majority of people who don't want to deal with politics 24/7) vs Them (as in everyone who tries to force us to deal with it 24/7) but it ends up being more of the traditional right vs left crap, led by a minority on both sides who keep forcing those topics into these areas in efforts to 'recruit' the rest of us into becoming like them, 24/7 obsessed with political ideology. And it seems to be working tbh.

I'll just +1 this, and note that this thread on a near-holistic level feels like a pretty good fucking example of just that.

I really don't have anything else I want to add to this absolute tumor that's sucking what little life this board had away from it, and already giving it acknowledgement by posting in it is bad enough to me.

BIG +1 TO THIS.

30CHARA30CHARA30CHARA
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2019 6:13 PM

May 2009
Catalano said:
The only problem is that we don't have enough controversial anime. I love to be "offended" by fiction, that means that they did their job perfectly. In Hellsing they should have included in Alucard's flashback some Turks raping Romanians, that would be awesome and grotesque. This shield hero is nothing. Move on.
That sounds more like wanting something edgy than something actually controversial.

Controversial makes me think of Cross Ange and Yosuga no Sora.

FMmatron said:
CatSoul said:
I've never understood all of this fuss over fictional stories when we've got real problems to deal with al around us.

Some people love to ignore their actual problems, tho.
And sometimes it's just easier to ignore actually relevant problems and argue about inconsequential ones. like i'm doing right now

Piromysl said:
It's kinda ironic to see this NPC complaining about mysogynist MC, while completely ignoring countless misandric female characters.
And it's just as ironic that you're ignoring countless misogynistic male characters too, by the same basis.

Characters do stuff that people may or may not agree with/find ethical. This isn't news. Happens to both genders of characters anyway.

also lol "NPC" as an insult.

TripleSRank said:
Pullman said:

how about every time someone calls a show 'sjw' because it has elements like, idk, strong females, homosexuality or anything else that isn't white, male and heterosexual? Or the whole High Guardian Spice discourse based on a 1:30 trailer?

There's plenty of people who call anything 'sjw propaganda' that has ANY elements in it that can be considered 'progressive' by the right-wing (strong females, homosexuality of any sort, non-white characters or actors in important roles etc ('blackwashing')...), be it Steven Universe, the Saga comics, the movie Get Out, the Ghostbusters remake or just Netflix or modern comics as a whole, or any gaming executive making any decisions towards more diversity or less fanservice in their games. It's always SJW conspiracies and propaganda, and never individual decisions by individual creators who simply want to do something. The only way to not have complaints like that, is to only make stories about white males and their subservient female counterparts because everything is else is apparently forcing your progressive SJW values on poor audiences against their will for manipulative reasons. And if you do that then ofc the other side will attack you and accuse you of all kinds of stuff. It's like you can't write fiction anymore without one side or the other (or even both in some cases like SU) ranting about it being political propaganda. It disgusts me to constantly see fiction abused like that by people who probably couldn't care less about fiction and just see it as another platform to fight their political battles.

I'm surprised you seem surprised by this and couldn't think of any examples yourself tbh. Once you go outside the 'anime bubble' you see it everywhere. I could list dozens of more movies, books, comics, series, franchises, games where I've seen people accuse them of being nothing bu SJW propaganda just like this guy accuses Shield Hero of spreading misogyny.

Idk. For whatever reason I just don’t see radical right-wingers taking the instigating role around here as much. It seems like it’s more often reactive to something a SJW has said or done. I’m not particularly active in other communities so it’s not a surprise I wouldn’t notice it there, though. Maybe it’s worse in those communites than it is in the anime community?

SJWs think they’re morally justified in their beliefs, so I think they’re more likely to go around trumpeting them— and moderate leftists don’t seem as likely (from my perspective) to disassociate with them because they have similar beliefs that they just aren’t as vocal about. As for this thread specifically, calling it misogynistic is extreme, but thinking the setup in Shield Hero is problematic is a position I’m sympathetic to even if I’m not passionate about it.

Nobody wants to be called racist or sexist though (which is what the far right is generally accused of) unless they’re literally part of the neo-KKK or something, and there aren’t exactly many people going around saying “hey this is a great show because it keeps women in a subservient role!” or anything of the like. I believe the vast majority of first-world country people would disassociate with that regardless of political association (and I think saying hate stuff is automatically “radical right” is disingenuous too, but that’s getting into another topic).

But yeah, who knows. Maybe I just don’t notice it as much due to political bias. That’s why I was wondering if you had any examples off-hand since it might not be something I explicitly pay as much attention to.
Dunno about you, but in recent months/years -- particularly before the devs implemented the rather recent rule having social/political controversies in AD -- it was quite irritatingly common to see people flaming "SJWs" out of frackin' nowhere.

Pet series doesn't get dub? SJWs did it. Why do dubs suck? SJWs ruin them. Why does the industry suck? SJWs are everywhere, run for your lives! or come and stand strong with us fighting the most important fight of our lives, against this gross injustice, consisting of censorship and agenda-pushing by all-powerful SJWs that control all the media except for anime which is the last bastion of freedom and hope!

Let us stand strong and fight!...by not watching a TV show or movie and/or complaining about it on the internet.

(Ironically, there's basically one "SJW" on AD, and that's about it, and she doesn't even post that much.)

The people who "raise concerns" this way don't seem to realize that they aren't the only ones with opinions on the internet, and they also aren't the only ones to blow their opinions far out of proportion.

(Also, High Guardian Spice isn't even anime. lol)

KomaDoll said:
I don't think rape should be used as often as it's in various medias as shock value, it easily can reduce some female characters just objects for that shock value and it can be distasteful too. Even more if it's sth done just for the genre. There is some cases where the rape is just weird and unneeded doesnt' do anything for the story or characters like in Kakumeiki Valvere. There was no purpose it served.
And it's completely fair of an opinion to dislike something because it feels like a cheap attempt at shock value that makes a show less enjoyable.

A lot of people focus too much on the content and not enough on the context, including the execution.

--ALEX-- said:

Hahahaha, yep. Precisely.

Honestly it's better to just enjoy anime under a rock or something. Come out to figure out what you'll watch next, then crawl back in.

Lighting's better anyway. Might be a bit stuffy though without proper ventilation.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 9, 2019 6:52 PM

Jun 2012
desusama said:
The only problem with Shield Hero is how everybody treats the Shield guy like shit for no reason and how the plot wouldn't exist if anybody in the show thought for a second "hey maybe there's a reason there are four heroes instead of three?"

Oh, there's a reason why. It's kinda spoilery though.
Jan 9, 2019 7:14 PM

Jun 2015
That summary of the story is hilarious. You're technically not wrong, but you're painting a very scewed picture here. Here's my summary of HeroAka, using the same approach:

It's about a depressed kid with a physical disability who goes to attend a pretigious schools after he let one of the teachers mess with his body. He constantly and seriously injures himself while desperately trying to keep up with the other students, one of which is constantly bullying him and everyone just cheers them on whenever they're fighting.
Jan 9, 2019 8:08 PM

Aug 2018
Whatever you watch, and whatever you think of this, remember not to give clicks to shit sites like ANN. The staff is full of political extremists that give all Western anime fans a bad name, and controversial articles like that review give them lots of unearned attention. All clickbait journalism deserves to wither and die.
Jan 9, 2019 11:49 PM

Aug 2017
"An indicator of the authors opinion about women at worst"

HAHAHAHAH THE AUTHORS IS A WOMEN HERSELF

HAHAHA OH GOD THE IRONY IS JUST SOO GOOD IN THIS ONE HAHA! (I'm sorry)
Jan 10, 2019 2:01 AM

Apr 2017
Zelkiiro said:
harshtruth said:
lmao imagine if berserk aired during this time when guts was raped as a boy by the guy that bought him or caska's rape by femto that caused a miscarriage

Important distinction: Those acts in Berserk were carried out by villains. We're not supposed to root for Griffith or Donovan. Shield Hero expects us to root for the main character.
wait, it's the mc that gets rapey rapey? man, now my interest has piqued.
Jan 10, 2019 2:03 AM

Dec 2014
Flairway said:
desusama said:
The only problem with Shield Hero is how everybody treats the Shield guy like shit for no reason and how the plot wouldn't exist if anybody in the show thought for a second "hey maybe there's a reason there are four heroes instead of three?"

Oh, there's a reason why. It's kinda spoilery though.

Oh I was reading the manga but it just seems like everyone is just written to give Shield dude a reason to be a vengeful asshole.
Jan 10, 2019 5:01 AM

Mar 2018
I sorry for being aggressive but why the fuck are people some damn sensitive these days it's a got damn piece of fiction that is not at all related to the real world,
how is this problematic to the world IT'S NOT EVEN REAL!!!
is this a thing now?? Getting offended over a some good damn cartoon.
Finally I wanna say that whether it's rape,suicide,gore,sex or even death should not be censor in stuff like anime, video games or cartoon because it's a work of fiction and does not correlate in the real world what so ever...
吃屁股
Jan 10, 2019 5:32 AM

Jun 2016
In my eyes those hot takes are much more problematic
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2019 7:19 AM

Jan 2013
papsoshea said:
changelog said:
Welcome to 2019, kids.

Some of the criticism is about how its written in, as in its just shitty writing. This is very similar to Goblin Slayer. Simply pointing out how the horrible flaws and contradiction in the writing was, it was as if it were an attack on the author for simply having controversial themes, some even went as far to also add that as long as there were internal consistency with such flaws and contradiction that no one has any right to critique the author for his bad writing, which is obviously just 100% horse shit!

*her* bad writing.

Some of it may be about the writing, but most of it (at least 90% of it) is about the desecration of the untouchable themes and subjects of the social justice regime, women cannot be shown in a bad light, women never lie about sexuial assault, etc, etc.

Oriionx said:

It has been a thing for a while now. You may say it's the new normal.
Jan 10, 2019 7:40 AM

Aug 2017
Can't wait for this anime jump in popularity just like Goblin Slayer did because of controversy! Thanks haters! :D
Jan 10, 2019 7:43 AM

Mar 2018
Jaksser said:
papsoshea said:
Some of the criticism is about how its written in, as in its just shitty writing. This is very similar to Goblin Slayer. Simply pointing out how the horrible flaws and contradiction in the writing was, it was as if it were an attack on the author for simply having controversial themes, some even went as far to also add that as long as there were internal consistency with such flaws and contradiction that no one has any right to critique the author for his bad writing, which is obviously just 100% horse shit!

*her* bad writing.

Some of it may be about the writing, but most of it (at least 90% of it) is about the desecration of the untouchable themes and subjects of the social justice regime, women cannot be shown in a bad light, women never lie about sexuial assault, etc, etc.

Oriionx said:

It has been a thing for a while now. You may say it's the new normal.

Jesus Christ, it's embarrassing how low we became as a community and as a society in general to the point where we couldn't tell the difference between fiction and reality. just like @changelog this kind of thing is ridiculous and so unnecessary and I feared that if we try to censor ourselves and limit our thoughts we'll slowly lose our creativity more and more. Not everything has to be kid friendly and "fun for the whole family" fuck that!
just try to make u want to make because no such things deserve to be a tabboo subject.
吃屁股
Jan 10, 2019 7:47 AM

Aug 2017
Oriionx said:
I sorry for being aggressive but why the fuck are people some damn sensitive these days it's a got damn piece of fiction that is not at all related to the real world,
Finally I wanna say that whether it's rape,suicide,gore,sex or even death should not be censor in stuff like anime, video games or cartoon because it's a work of fiction and does not correlate in the real world what so ever...

We should celebrate the controversy actually. It will have the same results as Goblin Slayer, popularity will skyrocket and we could not thank the haters enough! :DD
Jan 10, 2019 7:49 AM

May 2016
Nice 'people complaining about people complaining' thread.

Really that's all this boils down to.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jan 10, 2019 7:53 AM

Mar 2018
NotNameless said:
Oriionx said:

We should celebrate the controversy actually. It will have the same results as Goblin Slayer, popularity will skyrocket and we could not thank the haters enough! :DD
god freaking damn it, you're right XD
吃屁股
Jan 10, 2019 7:59 AM

Feb 2017
Shield Hero is based and red pilled af
Jan 10, 2019 9:51 AM

Nov 2018
Anime_Emperor said:
This is in anime so if it bothers you go watch something else
I agree with this guy, it IS your choice to watch it or not. It's really up to you to make that decision.

Jan 10, 2019 10:39 AM
Jun 2015
Hlodwigoat said:
"An indicator of the authors opinion about women at worst"

HAHAHAHAH THE AUTHORS IS A WOMEN HERSELF

HAHAHA OH GOD THE IRONY IS JUST SOO GOOD IN THIS ONE HAHA! (I'm sorry)

The ARTIST is a woman. The authors gender is unknown as it's a pen name that was used. And Ayn Rand was a woman. Didn't change that she had some sexist and misogynist stuff in her books so the idea that women can't be misogynistic is just stupid garbage.
Jan 10, 2019 10:45 AM

Aug 2017
zac bertshy is a fucking son of a bitch op
so who the fuck cares what he says ??
Jan 10, 2019 10:47 AM
Jun 2015
As for the series itself, even if you stripped away the false rape accusation, the slavery nonsense and other blatant revenge fantasy porn, the series would STILL suck for being the same cookie cutter paint by numbers crap that's been getting made. People don't just hate for it's problematic, but simply because it's cookie cutter crap without any real substance to itself.

I also don't understand the celebratory mindset of this getting popular due to haters. Why? So more mediocre cookie cutter Isekai get made and the market gets further inundated with more self-insert revenge porn crap that feels like the author spent all of 15 minutes coming up with the story, characters, and the world? That just shows such a massive contempt and hatred for anime, manga, and light novels that it's depressing.
Jan 10, 2019 11:37 AM

Mar 2018
Who fuckin cares if he has slaves as companions or not .. it's a work of fiction and that's why it's interesting to watch.
Jan 10, 2019 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
I learned that you shouldn't have any expectation for an Isekai anime. Most of them are shit anyways, like Re:Zero. Only once in a blue moon, you get a good Isekai like That Time You Get Reincarnated as A Slime.
Jan 10, 2019 9:54 PM

Aug 2017
@doomrider7 Yeah, it's true that their gender is not really confirmed yet, I actually tried to do some research after posting that comment, I was just fired up to have the toxic feminist having their assumptions fall flat. But it's still stupid that people are already making conclusions on the author's personamity for some freaking narrative choice when they know jack shit about the author and he/she's idea behind it.

Also I haven't read Ayn Rand so I can't really make any arguments with this statement of it having some sexist implication. I don't really care if woman can be misogynistic (it could probably be the case lol. It doesn't really sound as dumb as it may sound)

However I honestly think that if the author of Shield Hero is truly a girl than I'll find it COMPLETLY bullshit this one can be truly misogynistic : we're talking about "the author's opinion about woman" if she's really a girl and that this whole "girl's makes a false rape accusation like this thot here" was an critic on how all woman are manipulative bitch than that would make her implying that she's also a manipulative thot. And if she really think of one herself, just like that character, than I would be honestly wondering why she wouldn't try to kill herself (not that I actually want her to). Because considering what happens to that false rape accusing chick later in the light novel, they must REALLY despise that character, and in that case, themselves.
LudwigoatJan 10, 2019 11:56 PM
Jan 12, 2019 6:52 AM

May 2013
papsoshea said:
Why can't people just admit to liking shitty plot devices or shitty stories? Guilty pleasures are a thing.

That kind of admission doesn't hold much to be honest. They don't see it as 'guilty' pleasure since they find nothing shitty in it. It is shitty to you.

It would have been guilty pleasure for them if they really did see it as something filled with shitty plot devices/story but ended up enjoying it.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jan 12, 2019 7:54 AM
Nov 2018
So what if MC is a bad guy, I have had enough of those generic isekai MC I would prefer MC to be a bad guy or partially bad like lord ainz so I don't give a damn about SJW shi****** or anyone actually thanks to them I love his character even more since he was able to create a storm not only in fictional world but in real world too.
Jan 12, 2019 8:53 AM

Dec 2014
Here we go :D
Most snowflakes: I saw first 10 secs, so i totaly understand the whole story and know whats it about. :D
I was expecting this ... cant wait for more of this BS from Murica... im glad EU isnt that dumb yet. They should cancel every non-US shows in USA so they can live happily in their happy snowflake bubble.
ps: Imagine the genders were swapped, they would say how great show it is, since its strong woman fighting against bad guys!
Shiro_czeJan 12, 2019 9:04 AM
Jan 12, 2019 11:01 AM
Dec 2018
Whats funny they against shield hero bc of false rhape accusations but they have no problems with promised neverland were little children are being killed and raised like some farm animals. They even say its good
Jan 12, 2019 12:26 PM
Nov 2018
DrSexy said:
Seems like the bullshit that started when "Goblin Slayer" aired continues to live with "Rise of the Shield Hero". I just wonder why people suddenly have started to complain about rape and violence in anime when it was always present. Where are these people coming from?

Zac Bertschy is lying through his teeth.

Note how he starts his rant: "it's my understanding that the Shield Hero's chief motivation..." Simply put, he didn't read the novels. He read LN reviews written by Rebecca Silverman. His "understanding" means nothing and yet he proceeds to shame Crunchyroll for participating in it. Ridiculous.

"chief motivation in the RotSH novels is a dude getting revenge against a lady for making a false rape accusation" - it is obviously false. He pretty much says her to go f.h. in episode 1 and forgets about her, focuses on levelling and actually being useful as a Hero. When he "rises" to the some extent (volume 4 I think) and his service to the country give him opportunity for revenge, this revenge is very mild.

It wouldn't deserve any attention - twitter is full of moronic tweets. But this Zac person is an executive editor of Anime News Network. He determines editorial policy of this site. He confirms hiring of reviewers. Nobody at ANN is free to say something that displeases Zac if they want to remain employed.

Just ignore ANN. This is North Korea of anime news.
Jan 12, 2019 12:35 PM
Nov 2011
The author of the Light Novel is a woman. So the SJWs argument that the anime is some kind of plot against women is not only absurd but flawed
Apart from the Main Protagonist, the majority of the more powerful characters of the Light Novel are women. At some point the Protagonist become disciple to a powerful Woman warrior.
And the other three men "heroes" are painted as hypocritical jerks.
In fact the Greatest Politcal and Diplomatic figure in the world were the history happens is a WOMAN.

an this is a interview with the author: http://www.onepeacebooks.com/profiles/aneko.html
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2019

402 by MaauFe »»
May 20, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

546 by ridly »»
May 6, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

243 by ridly »»
May 6, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.