Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Happy Sugar Life
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2018 3:09 PM
Aug 2014
Finally I can put this one in the grave. Fuck everything about it.
Sep 29, 2018 4:11 PM
Jan 2017
Very exhausting episode to watch (in a good way). I honestly wasn't expecting this much from the final episode. What keeps nagging in the back of my mind is the tragedy of forgetting her most beloved possession. It makes you think, "what if...?". Also, just when you thought it was over, you see the surprise after the end credits. It's for those two reasons that this story will stay with me for quite awhile.
Sep 29, 2018 4:16 PM
Dec 2015
I'm still surprise this is the first anime they made from this anime studio, not bad tho.
Sep 29, 2018 5:41 PM

May 2016
Wonder why I watched the anime if I didn't like much the manga, I have only read until the chapter 38 (like 11 ep anime and a bit of 12) but since the manga is still publishing is an original ending or...what?
Sep 29, 2018 8:08 PM

Jun 2013
I had a strong feeling that Satou could never physically hurt Shio or see her get physically hurt so her wrapping her arms around her to cushion her fall didn't surprise me too much. Actually, I thought she would push her back onto the roof (but she might jump off again) or push her towards a bush or anywhere to break her fall. Yes, she kidnapped Shio but didn't want to end Shio's life.

In reality, they both would die and impact would be enough to kill them both even if Satou tried to cushion the fall by embracing her.

I wonder why her crazy, stalker homeroom teacher was arrested? Did Satou and obasan frame him or something?

Mitsuboshi is still a lolicon. Obaasan was the best character, smiling sweetly as she got arrested.

Poor Asahi though, he got his sister in the end but his sister went off into the deep end. As if she and Satou switched personalities or perhaps she was already fucked up and Satou made it worse.

I liked this series. It's one of my favorites for this season. 7/10 for me. It wasn't perfect and had quite a number of flaws but it was enjoyable.
臭い-
Sep 29, 2018 9:07 PM
Jul 2018
i was expecting this sort of ending pretty much from the beginning
how different is it in the manga? what happened?
not going to read it, but i'd like to know the differences if anyone wants to fill me in.

just like how i felt with shoko being an idiot for dying.

it was the same with asahi. He just has this defeated look on his face when Shio rejects him.

what a fucking joke lol.
Sep 29, 2018 11:02 PM

Dec 2016
Kinda glad thats over. Story was decent and that was a pretty good last episode but the ride there was horrendous. Spent most of the time cringing. Most of the characters were annoying and i didnt even really know who to cheer for since no one really had a promising outcome. Just wanted Shio to make it out safe but it seems like shes scarred for life.

Guess my favorite character was....the aunt? Idk... yuri work girl? That was about as interesting as the show got.

5/10
Sep 30, 2018 12:01 AM

May 2015
Being 100% honest i love both Sato and her Aunt. Why? Their are gorgeous lady's and yea i know crazy too. I can't blame them at all for anything that happen. You can only blame the person who made aunt that way first who made Sato that way i guess. XD

Anyway the anime was enjoyable 7 out of 10. Ending was Super Hard Hit for me, The feels at the end. Wish it had different outcome for Sato having happy ending.

Sep 30, 2018 4:32 AM

Apr 2011
5/10 my god I can't believe I made it through this crap.
Sep 30, 2018 5:01 AM

Jul 2014
Well, what an incredibly fucking dumb way to end this show. Sure, it was inevitable, but the show came up with such an idiotic way to set up the final trap that finally stopped Satou in her tracks. Shio surviving was also incredibly dumb and illogical, especially because of what that led to with the final ending. And don't even get me started on Asahi just looking at the picture to see the room number, which he could have done from the beginning rather than needlessly and pointlessly involving Mitsuboshi in any of this. What a dumb fucking plothole that shows how half-arsed and lazy and idiotic this finale was.

Had to drop the rating down after that, while still acknowledging the good work the show did with a messed-up premise in previous episodes. 7/10
AtavisticSep 30, 2018 5:09 AM
Sep 30, 2018 5:04 AM

Mar 2012
I initially avoided it reading Satou's description but am I glad that I decided to give it a shot later. Everything going on the series was somehow just wrong but watching Satou kill people for her beliefs and her own twisted views about sin and love was exciting. I wanted Asahi to have a happy ending or at least for Shio to die as well. Overall I loved it, will be missing it.
Sep 30, 2018 5:36 AM

Oct 2007
Maou_heika said:
I initially avoided it reading Satou's description but am I glad that I decided to give it a shot later. Everything going on the series was somehow just wrong but watching Satou kill people for her beliefs and her own twisted views about sin and love was exciting. I wanted Asahi to have a happy ending or at least for Shio to die as well. Overall I loved it, will be missing it.

I suggest to also try reading the manga. It hasn's ended yet, possible to get a different ending there.
Sep 30, 2018 6:36 AM

Dec 2016
That puny little brat should've died, sadly she didn't. Yandere acted as a buffer, predictable from how their fall was visualised. Wouldn't a fall from 12th floor (well, 13th floor - the rooftop) kill no matter who jumped? How can a single human body amortize impact from such hight? I call plot shield. It's okay to tell audience that adolescent characters die, but not a minor? No, it cannot be done it seems...At the very least the brat could've suffered irreversable mental scarring, but even that was too much to depict.

What a letdown of a show.

BTW: the brat said "let's die together" then proceeds to initiate the suicide only to come out unscaved. She couldn't even kill herself properly.
Sep 30, 2018 6:59 AM
Jun 2017
WHAT A CRAZY FINALE!!! I JUST LOVE HOW THEY HAVE ENDED THIS ONE... I MEAN from her aunt, taiyo, Asahi, satou and shio... they are all crazy in their own ways in this finale episode...

Her aunt raped taiyo and burn the apartment they are loving with

Taiyo became more crazy after being raped by the aunt..

Asahi is starting to be crazy after hearing what shio is saying to him

satou for her crazy love for shio

shio - the crazy kid thinking that Satou is already within her...

HAHAHAHA... SUPER LOVE THIS CRAZY FINALE...
Sep 30, 2018 9:00 AM

Feb 2014
LoL
Everyone is crazy in this anime.

I feel bad for Shoko Hida, she was probably the best girl here, followed by Oba-san =P

5-6/10

By the way, that Taiyo is a lucky bastard, he haven't realized that. Hehe
Sep 30, 2018 11:44 AM

Jan 2011
Otako6789 said:
looks like i need therapy because i think Satou did nothing wrong, she only killed bad people (except her best friend but that was necessary) and she didn't abused Shio.

LOL

Yes you should seek therapy.

>Satou did nothing wrong
>Killing people is ok as long as they are bad
>Killing good people is ok because it "was necessary"
>Didn't abuse Shio but locked her up and brain washed her

Ya Satou definitely didn't do anything wrong. She's only a selfish psychotic moral-less murderer that kidnapped ("rescued") a child and locked her in an apartment ("castle") for her own mental clarity and sanity ("happy sugar life"). She only murdered one person who objectively was a wack job and then proceeded to murder her best friend who was equally a wack job with a good heart. In between this time she maimed a couple of punk kids and extorted her friends/colleagues to maintain her "happy sugar life". During this time Shio basically developed some version of stockholm syndrome evidenced by not only accepting Satou's actions but defending her.

So ya, seek some therapy if you actually believe the actions by this fictional character qualify as "did nothing wrong".

I digress. Decent thriller scenes with annoying characters, repetitive plot points, and an awful cop out ending.
Sep 30, 2018 2:18 PM

Nov 2008
When I first started watching this anime, I thought Satou kidnapped Shio to live together. I deduced that the first bodybag was Shio's mother.

Turns out that Shio was abandoned this whole time and Satou only took custody. There was nothing wrong with what she did. The only "wrong" she did this whole time was that she murdered the owner of that appartment. I am not gonna start the debate about "Shio is still a child" or "Satou cannot adopt Shio due to legal rules in Japanese society"

In morality perspective, Satou saved Shio. End of story.

She has no reason to hide Shio from the world. Shio consented Satou's custody since the mother was basically committing neglect on Shio.

Asahi could have been the brother-in-law in the relationship between Satou and Shio. sigh... Feelsbadman

Shouko could have been still alive this whole time... Feelsbadman

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Sep 30, 2018 3:32 PM

Dec 2015
It wasn't a bad show. I enjoyed everything, but some scenes of "love".
Sometimes scenes of Satou x Shio were so f*cking annoying (Yes, Satou, we already know that you love Shio, so please stop repeating "I love you, Shio-chan", please!).

I liked the ending, it was a bit predictable but intense.
The ending song is fantastic.

For a show who is tagged as "psychological terror" it was fine.

Voice acting was decent. Everybody know that HanaKana is a great seiyu, so I want to give an special mention to Shio's VA and Kitaumekawa-sensei's VA, both were really good.

Ending is a 5/5 for me, and a 7/10 for the show.
Perhaps one day I'm going to read the manga.
Sep 30, 2018 10:36 PM

Dec 2012
That was intense! Most episodes gave me anxiety for the characters. It's hard to accept what Satou did to all the characters. Shio is now just another Satou in the making.

8/10 - standard enjoyment.
Oct 1, 2018 12:44 AM

May 2015
the ending of this made me cry so much
My Candies:
Oct 1, 2018 1:30 AM

Jun 2016
FUCK THAT FINAL EPISODE.

Killing off the protagonist like that took my score from a 10/10 to a 7/10 and it might even drop to a 6/10.

I'M SO ANGRY.
Oct 1, 2018 3:42 AM

Oct 2007
Tenderizer17 said:
FUCK THAT FINAL EPISODE.

Killing off the protagonist like that took my score from a 10/10 to a 7/10 and it might even drop to a 6/10.

I'M SO ANGRY.

There is still hope with the manga.
Oct 1, 2018 3:44 AM

Jun 2016
Liddo-kun said:
Tenderizer17 said:
FUCK THAT FINAL EPISODE.

I'M SO ANGRY.
There is still hope with the manga.
Too bad I don't like manga.
Oct 1, 2018 3:06 PM

Apr 2013
Nyaa said:
Damn!

I really liked this show. For it to end this way is a bit disappointing.

your signature mouth is a bit weird to me e.e shouldn't it be a bit lower? monkaS
Oct 1, 2018 4:20 PM

Oct 2015
Satou's death was a bit sad although she was psychotic, in the end she only wanted Shio's love and protected her to live. It looks like Taiyou came out alive in the end (useless character) and really saddened by Satou's death.

Shio really loved Satou too and wanted to die with her, but I still find their love for each other toxic because it affected so many lives like the painter's life, Shouko's, the sensei although he was bad, the aunt and the apartment people. I still don't understand why they arrested the sensei even though the aunt admitted to setting alight the building??? I don't get why also Shio resent the brother Asahi he wasn't bad in that domestic situation but I do get the resentment towards the mother as she abandoned her, but also she did have a reason for it although still unacceptable in some way but its a reason as Asahi suggested.

This was really messed up and had hardly any purpose, so it's a 6/10 from me.
lihle808Oct 1, 2018 4:24 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 1, 2018 10:08 PM

Oct 2008
OMG! what a powerful ending!
I think Satou sacrificed herself to save Shio and be as her cushion upon both falling!
so many got apprehended!
the beyond slut Aunt (who eats thick stuff lolz!)
and also the sensei.
And it looks like Mitsuboshi has gone totally broken!
And Koube acts like everything's gonna be alright with Shio, but it seems like Shio would be the next uprising serial killer!
5/5!
8/10.

Oct 1, 2018 10:12 PM
Aug 2017
I'm not crying, ok!
The last episodes of this anime is just great, intense, thrilling and emotional at the end.
8/10
Oct 1, 2018 10:32 PM
May 2014
After finishing this show, I just might follow in Satou's footsteps and jump off a god damn building. Jesus fucking Christ, this was absolute garbage. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.
maximumpayneOct 1, 2018 10:35 PM
Oct 2, 2018 4:30 AM

Oct 2007
matias067 said:
OMG! what a powerful ending!
I think Satou sacrificed herself to save Shio and be as her cushion upon both falling!
so many got apprehended!
the beyond slut Aunt (who eats thick stuff lolz!)
and also the sensei.
And it looks like Mitsuboshi has gone totally broken!
And Koube acts like everything's gonna be alright with Shio, but it seems like Shio would be the next uprising serial killer!
5/5!
8/10.

Satou protect Shio until the end. She really loves Shio.

Mitsuboshi better get himself checked for STD's. >__<

Must be Shio way to cope with the trauma of losing Satou... she now thinks Satou is inside her. :(
Oct 2, 2018 4:48 AM
Sep 2014
The sub-plot between Shouko and Satou was probably my favorite part of the show.

if only Shouko hadn't rejected Satou after visiting the aunt, things would have turned out very differently.
Oct 2, 2018 2:56 PM
Jan 2018
We don't see a lot of anime as fucked up as this one, so I'll definatly miss it. We can almost count on the fact that HSL won't get a season 2. And maybe it's better, we can now think of it ourselves, which makes it even more interesting. I'll surely remember This anime for a long time, especially Satou. She did a lot of bad things and maybe she kinda paid for them now. 9/10 for this amazing anime!
Oct 2, 2018 3:56 PM
Sep 2018
That was a great Finale though it was intense but was sad and full of love, in the end satou finally understood love and was so full of it that she sacrificed her life to save shio because she couldnt bear to let shio die I would have liked it to be a happy ending for satou and shio but they still have us a glimpse of their future to show us how it would have been like I loved it. For satou I seriously lol by the expression on is face thinking he finally have shio all to himself and rejected him that there is only one person she will forever love and that is satou, I could cry and was sad but it was amazing that shio was willing to die just to be with satou forever,that how strong love can be. I will never forget this anime and their love for each other. Even though satou did a lot of bad thing and payed the price in the end love prevailed and shined in satou's heart ♥ . THIER HAPPY SUGAR LIFE
LEE352Oct 2, 2018 4:00 PM
Oct 3, 2018 5:18 AM

Apr 2013
This was extremely sad.
Oct 3, 2018 3:22 PM

Mar 2011
Damn, this ending was insane.
I was expecting both of them dying, not only Satou, but this is good too, very twisted just as the entire series.
Overall this anime had scenes very well done that made me feel uncomfortable.
7/10
I wished Asahi could at least find happiness tho :(
Oct 3, 2018 5:39 PM

Jul 2014
Umm, how did the teacher get linked to that mess?

Anyways, this was a bit messed up, at least Satou died and Shio survived. I am still wondering how did Asahi and the blonde pedo survive the fire, but guess it is no longer relevant.
Oct 4, 2018 9:18 PM

Dec 2009
This anime was hilarious ; the best comedy I've watched in long while .

Everybody was insane and nothing made sense.
Last episodes felt rushed.

Overall 3/10 - at least it was funny.
Oct 5, 2018 2:24 AM

Jun 2016
DazeFire said:
idk that ending it had to be anime original cause it just felt different from the rest of the series and they just went with whatever... though i wont be surprised if the manga ends in a similar way now that the anime ended this way though im hoping not cause the ending for the anime was more annoying if anything just for the whole fact that Shio was left alone and now crazy

it would have been better if both would have died i would have been good with an ending like that but not this shit

well he's hoping the manga has a much better ending
I don't think killing them both off would've been a better ending.

I feel as though the show would've been better off fizzling out, rather than forcefully going out with a bang.

Any ending where it doesn't work out for Satou is a bad ending which just leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. It's similar to
in that it didn't make me feel any emotion, but rather made me angry at the creators for undermining everything I liked about the series.

It felt like the show felt it necessary to punish Satou for her (MANY) sins, but doing so just feels cheap.
Oct 5, 2018 2:58 PM
Jul 2017
The only one I felt pain for is Satou...

I identified myself with her pretty much, and that pretty much all of her actions were "what I would have done"...

Going for the ring at the end of the story was where I said "this is going to kill her, and she knows".
That's another thing that would have happened to me... but if she didn't go for it, Shio would have been upset about it.
It's just the way I mess up in my life - I notice something and tell someone about it when I should have stayed quiet.

The last 3 minutes were a bit different than what I expected, but I liked them pretty much.
Would have preferred both to survive tho and shios brother should have died.

I hated every single character besides Satou, Shio and the aunt.
Matsuzaka was absolutely corrupted, but her personality and appearance fit so well she actually reminded me of myself.

"I am the devil, but I don't want to look like him nor let anyone know - still I know I am the devil in bones and flesh"

Everyone deserved to die, except for Satou and her beloved ones.
The other ones were just brainless stupid, and if I was Satou I would have carried a knife with me in ch.12 while reaching the airport.

I mean seriously, why would shios brother try to get shio back without even talking to them first. He hit Satou without even talking about it.
Everyone would be scared if you show up with a baseball bat and no intention to even use your brain.

Shio and Satou should have lived together... I think all crimes they did were necessary and once again - I would have done just the same.

Killing people for the ones you love? I think that's fine if you are right with what you do. No one should be allowed to threaten you nor harm you without punishment.

Everything Satou did was well deserved. I absolutely love her character traits.
JacintVerdaguerOct 5, 2018 3:09 PM
Oct 5, 2018 3:04 PM

Apr 2017
This is one ending that I did not expect. Maybe this can even be considered to be the plot-twist of the season. But in the end it's just another proof that it's the combination of small mistakes that gets you.

I'm glad that Shio survived at least, and Satou got her deserved retribution. Still, seeing how crazy Shio has become instead now, I wonder if re-birthing might not have been a better fate for her. Poor Asahi will now never get her back. I was actually quite surprised that Shio still chose Satou in the end, I thought she would surrender to Asahi's talk eventually. And Shio being first to suggest suicide was another surprise, I guess it proves that she was just as broken as the rest of the cast. Also Aunt admitting to everything with a smile was funny for some reason. The prison guards are now never going to be safe. Sensei getting arrested was nice too. He even enjoyed it, as expected. Mitsuboshi will now remain broken forever too I guess, after his experience with Aunt.

Overall last few episodes were surprisingly good, and ending had a nice twist, so it was hard to decide on the rating. But in the end I think I will give it 7/10.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 5, 2018 3:51 PM
Apr 2018
The only thing good about this anime was
Mitsuboshi, Taiyo
He is CUTE best character
Oct 6, 2018 3:52 AM
Oct 2018
Why was the teacher arrested?
Oct 6, 2018 5:02 PM

Apr 2016

I wish there was a like button. Perfect response. That person does need to seek therapy. That kind of thinking is unhealthy, and there might be some serious problems. Not a joke. Seek help, please.

Also, people. Do not rationalize the actions of anyone in this anime. A lot of the things that transpired in this show were bad, and you shouldn't rationalize any of that behavior. There are not any good people in this anime. This includes the brother and the best friend.

This especially includes you. Please seek help. I don't mean that in a rude way either. That line of thinking is dangerous. If you want to talk PM me.
Hotwing-DonoOct 6, 2018 5:07 PM
[
Oct 7, 2018 12:59 AM

Apr 2018
Some peope here sure needs some mental help lol

Like i would have wanted shio and satou to have their happy sugar life at the end but lol most of the shit that satou did was awful and not justified at all same for most of the characters exept for satou's friend

Still satou,shio and the aunt are the best charaters
Oct 7, 2018 8:54 AM

Mar 2018
I'm so confused about Shoko. Was she really not gonna tell the police and keep the secret? or was she tricking Satou? I mean she did send the picture to Asahi..
ALSO, how did she find their apartment?? I've been racking my brain to remember if I missed something and I can't figure it out!
ANNND what was perv-sensei arrested for?
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Oct 8, 2018 2:30 AM

Oct 2017
I expected more from this, going on the premise of the story and the trailer, sadly it failed to deliver.
I felt nothing at the end, the series didn't manage to get me really invested in the characters.
Well,... Shoko maybe, the only character that didn't seem to be too exaggeratedly suffering from some kind of psychological or mental disorder.
I kept watching hoping it would get good at the end, I had been só looking forwrd to this series, but unfortunately...... it was kind of disappointing.
Oct 8, 2018 1:34 PM

Nov 2011
No idea what was going on in the first half of the show, abominable madness, made me question why something like this was getting animated, but the second half was fantastic, all the madness kinda made sense in the end, mixed feelings about the ending though. 7.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 8, 2018 1:51 PM

May 2017
Holy shit. That was a fucking adventure. Right at the end I was getting pissed that they were going to let a 5 year decide who she wants to be/live with, as well as the 5 year old deciding to kill herself. I was getting mostly mad that the story thought it necessary to kill them both off because "they're in love". So I was glad that Shio ended up in the hospital and rather, she became the sociopath from that experience. She was completely brainwashed that she went nutso when she ends up living.
That was quite the show, jesus

EDIT: Also want to add that I never read the manga, so when I decided to watch this based on the initial synopsis, I thought that it was going to be way cooler, like with actual police and detectives and Satou has to evade them. So when it was just the brother trying to find Shio, it seemed kind of stupid *shrug*

EDIT 2: And comparing it to Angels of Death for suspense/thriller/edge, Happy Sugar Life wins by a landslide. It wasnt the greatest, but at least it made us uncomfortable.
demisionOct 8, 2018 1:58 PM
Oct 8, 2018 5:05 PM

Oct 2007
MrZawa said:
This is one ending that I did not expect. Maybe this can even be considered to be the plot-twist of the season. But in the end it's just another proof that it's the combination of small mistakes that gets you.

I'm glad that Shio survived at least, and Satou got her deserved retribution. Still, seeing how crazy Shio has become instead now, I wonder if re-birthing might not have been a better fate for her. Poor Asahi will now never get her back.

I think becoming "rebirthed" is Shio form of revenge on Asahi, because he caused Satou death.
Oct 10, 2018 1:04 PM

Jul 2009
What an end! I did not expect Satou to die! I know she did a lot of bad things, but Shio herself wanted to be with Satou...and I was surprised Shio survived the fall...7/10
Oct 12, 2018 7:52 AM
Feb 2015
it will be better if both dead ...
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 2 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 9, 2018

43 by Dizzy-san »»
May 12, 1:25 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

96 by LeonardoFrav »»
Apr 4, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2018

70 by Phixiately »»
Mar 23, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2018

81 by Phixiately »»
Mar 20, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sacerdotisa - Aug 9, 2018

66 by Phixiately »»
Feb 29, 1:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.