Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 17, 2017 11:15 PM

Aug 2008
Great animation, great music, and lively and powerful dancing. Loved it.

The ending delivered where it needed, and it was impactful. It's a shame the manga ended (seems due to the artist's health?), as there was so much material left to be explored.
It's disappointing not able to see Tatara's and Shizuku's relationship further developed, as it was a big driver earlier on (Tatara was initially infatuated with Shizuku after all).

Oh well. Great enough run.
Dec 18, 2017 12:14 AM

Aug 2013
Quite rare to see a show with an ending that manages to be conclusive enough to feel whole and satisfying, but at the same time leaves you wanting much more and potentially leaves the door open to do just that.

The visuals and imagery for their last dance were excellent. With the door opening and the golden ballroom, and the scene where they were a bit misshapen and surrounded by pastel waves of color.

I kind of wish the audience and judges would've remarked more on their last two dances there. The whole time we always heard little quips and passing remarks about Kugumiya and such, but I feel like hearing some more compliments about Tatara would've balanced it a bit better, especially when their dance changed the color of the room and you visibly see the entire audience focused on them.

Sengoku got to see Tatara at the end there. Bet off screen his partner comes in and lets it slip on purpose that Sengoku wasn't actually there watching him and killing the moment, lol.

I do wish as a whole they showed a bit more dancing with a bit more unique stuff and some less recycled animations, but the trade off was good characterization and dialogue so it wasn't terrible or anything.

All I can say now is SEASON 2 PLEASE!!!!
Dec 18, 2017 2:19 AM
Oct 2015
The final episode was just spectacular, you can tell that they've invested a notable amount into key scenes, also I've realised that these OSTs are amazing as well especially the one that was played in the Viennese waltz.
Heckle was here...
Dec 18, 2017 7:11 AM
Jan 2016
Wow an amazing episode!!! Really beautiful scene and that insert song is amazing...Really glad Tatara and Chinatsu won the first place!!! That question, "Why you choose it?" It's really deep question, but I think the answer is basically because you really love it and that's why you want more more and more of it, and for Kugimiya case, I'm glad that he didn't quit dance and I know he can't because he loves it, he loves to dance. Nice, we need second season!!!!
And the scene when Tatara look to the ballroom makes me remember Hinata Shoyo from Haikyuu!!! That's cool man when everybody come and cheer you!!! Haha it makes me remember my futsal competition back in high school...
Dec 18, 2017 7:26 AM

Feb 2010
man, i want 2nd season so o o o o bad

𝓜𝔂𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓛𝓲𝓼𝓽

The inner sea of the planet. The platform of the watchtower. From the edge of paradise you shall hear my words.
Your story shall be full of blessings. ━Let only those without sin pass. "Garden of Avalon"!
Dec 18, 2017 8:10 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, they won!!!!
Dec 18, 2017 8:35 AM

Jul 2016
What a great way to end, congrats tatara and chinatsu, damn that kiss xD
I will miss the show, hoping for a sequel.
Dec 18, 2017 9:51 AM

Feb 2014
A sports show on subpar with YOI!! Really the best of tis season!

And this man deserves to be respected!

Can't wait for season 2!!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 18, 2017 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
That kiss doe <3
Beautiful anime, very good.
8/10.
Dec 18, 2017 4:09 PM
Dec 2017
The Greatest Ending to the Greatest Sports Anime Of 2017. I Expectedly Nothing less, but wasn't Expecting that Awesome Cheek Kiss <3
Dec 18, 2017 6:05 PM

Nov 2008
Really amazing way to have ended this, and I kind of would like to see a possible second season.

Dec 19, 2017 7:09 AM

Apr 2010
smoledman said:
antonn said:
All of it while skipping a bunch of small scenes with a potential different ending, because the manga is consistently delayed since the author is dying a slow death.

All the news stories said is the mangaka is taking time off for health issues, nothing about dying.

Who are you kidding. The common cold kills in Japan.
Dec 19, 2017 12:39 PM

Jul 2012
They did it! And this kiss! :D

I loved the artstyle change at the end there. I’m a bit sad that the anime all but caught up to the manga, but I’ll most likely give it a read when the new chapter releases.
Dec 19, 2017 1:46 PM

May 2017
Chinatsu will only pretend to like Tatara as long as he's winning. The moment he falters, she'll chuck him out like last week's meatloaf.
Dec 19, 2017 4:47 PM

Jun 2013
so they won and it's over i don't know it was an okay ending
Dec 19, 2017 10:12 PM

May 2016
magical-penguin said:
Although it was expected, they totally didn't deserved the first place

Though the same... I wanted something reallistic, feel pretty dissapointed, the first part was amazing, this... not much.

10/10 first part
6/10 second part

I just leave it at 9 because the two OP
Dec 19, 2017 11:56 PM

Oct 2008
A Satisfying Season Ender episode! OST is on spot as well and there are fewer still animations.
Tatara & Chinatsu got 1st place! congratz!
It is true that someone who's been dancing for a year can outwit someone who's been dancing for a decade! That's just how it is...maybe passion vs hobby?
Not bad Kugimiya & Idogawa got 2nd place, another clap for them!
How lucky, Fujita got a kiss at the cheek from Chinatsu! what a fulfilling reward!
Hyodou walk-out maybe? cuz he's also pumped to compete dance with Fujita!
LOL! Akira cried totally as well as Kugimiya.
And don't forget, Sengoku made a visit to his most improved student/disciple!
I really wanna see the three pairs/couples' dance and compete!
5/5.
8/10.
S2 plz!
matias067Dec 20, 2017 12:00 AM

Dec 20, 2017 3:11 AM

Mar 2009
Decent final episode, except for the door metaphor...again. And Kugimiya and Idogawa losing is bullshit(especially since they have more skill), but it's to be expected that Chinatsu and Tatara would win. ANIME.

To be perfectly honest, with the exceptions of Chizuru and Kugimiya, I wasn't too fond of the second half. Yeah, it's fine that Chinatsu brings a fiery dynamic to the show - and her relationship with Tatara - but she certainly wasn't my favorite female character here. They spent too much time going back and forth with Chinatsu and Tatara's relationship. They'd fight, get along, fight, get along, fight etc. The constant door metaphors didn't help, either, as they were basically beating the audience over the head with it. In short, too much time was spent on that, especially during the final competition; it was plodding. Now that they were able to win, I hope that they finally have enough confidence in each other - and themselves - so that if we do get another season we won't have to deal with the back and forth anymore.

Also sucks that Hyodou was relegated to the sidelines in the 2nd half. He didn't do too much. A shame.

That aside, I never took much issue with the animation in this show, but elsewhere that's all people complain about: "Why don't they show the dance? Cutting corners!" And so on and so on...

ANN recently said this show is "sexist" and "heteronormative" in their own words. I don't know. I don't particularly see it as sexist, but I also don't know too much about actual ballroom dancing. Does the man always lead the woman?

Anyway! Chizuru best girl. Marisa MILF of the year.
Dec 20, 2017 8:42 AM
Mar 2015
Glad that the mangaka was able to help them craft such a beautiful ending Hopefully the mangaka will get well and we will be able to see more in the future
Dec 20, 2017 7:16 PM

Dec 2012
aww no why must it be over :( , I'm so sad such a great show.
Dec 20, 2017 7:29 PM

Jun 2015
Mormegil said:
ANN recently said this show is "sexist" and "heteronormative" in their own words. I don't know. I don't particularly see it as sexist, but I also don't know too much about actual ballroom dancing. Does the man always lead the woman?

Traditionally, yes. ANN writers have a bit too much of a bias in this matter to look at the issue in what I consider a balanced way though. It's super complicated and hard to unpack though, but I'll try. Heteronormative in a purely academic sense is just the concept of complementary and opposite gender roles being considered natural or normal in a given activity, or intentionally controlled as such. In ballroom dancing, this would surely apply as Ballroom dancing is normally set up for a male and a female, and is codified as such in competition rules for the World Dance Sport Federation. I believe this is also true of the WDC. In this sense it is certainly "heteronormative".

The way I've seen a lot of ANN writers use the term though carries the added pop-culture baggage along with it that seems to also suggest it puts straight males specifically in a place of superiority over women in their respective roles. This aspect I can certainly understand the impression of, but I don't believe this is accurate to modern ballroom dancing anymore, despite the foundations of the sport most certainly being built on a sexist lean initially. It used to be with ballroom that a lot of movement was essentially the Lead (male) dragging around the Follow (female) through moves. I do ballroom dance myself now, and I asked this question of my teacher and she physically demonstrated this older style for me, and it is annoying, to say the least. The modern style of ballroom dancing is much more equally involved with both parties, the lead and the follow. The easiest example I can think to give is that it use to be for a Natural Top (a spin essentially) that the Lead wouldn't move that much and that the Follow would be going around the Lead. Nowadays, you tend to spin around a point rather than one around the other. You end up using each other to propel yourselves into moves a bit, rather than one person just dragging the other person around. The Waltz is one that really shows this equality in movement in my opinion. Going into a Natural turn, the lead takes the outside and bigger steps with the Follow moving out of the way on the inside with smaller steps, but heading out of the Natural turn those roles are reversed. There's a lot more ying-yang now to the dances essentially.

That all being said, it normally is the Male as the Lead and the Female as the Follow, and while this rule certainly does get bent with younger kids to let the more populous women dance together for practice, as soon as you get older and start hitting up competitions or social dancing, you will fall into that heteronormative regiment. I would argue that competitions are much more equitable, as honestly you are both memorizing a routine, not just winging it, and you both know and execute your roles equitably. The Lead still has to control the dance to some extent to make sure they don't slam into other couples on the floor, but the Follow certainly returns feedback as well to react to in case there's someone in the Lead's blind spot or maybe he just needs to be subtlety reminded of a move. It is a much more dynamic back and forth, and while on paper the Lead is in control of it all, it really does become a rather equal power dynamic, and most female ballroom dancers I've met would be pissed at you if you even implied Following was somehow a lesser involved skill. Social dancing with strangers tends to fall back into traditional roles, because if you are complete strangers you have to figure out what the skill levels involved are, come up with moves on the fly, etc. That's where the Lead is really truly leading because someone has to, or it wouldn't be ballroom dancing, which generally means the male as that is what most are trained as. Again though, this doesn't mean being a Follow is somehow easier or less involved or an inferior skill. In fact, personally it seems like it is way harder as the Follow has a split second to figure out what the hell move is coming her way and then execute. The Follow is constantly playing catchup. I really don't think there's much of a meaningful difference in power dynamic here beyond a purely ceremonial and procedural one of someone having to initiate. This show actually did point out multiple times though that you can have a Follow that can "lead" in a sense, as Chinatsu frequently tried to do, she's just doing it from a different body position.

So, to summarize a bit, I would say at this point that I don't think it is fair to call modern Ballroom dancing sexist. I can absolutely appreciate saying that it was built on a foundation of sexism and originally functioned that way in a mechanical sense with the Lead Male literally puppeting the Female Follow, but that isn't how it really works anymore. The sport has changed and now power dynamics are pretty much equal in terms of how the dance actually plays out between the Lead and the Follow. There's a lot of trust and cooperation between the two and it isn't one person just dominating the other, because if so they are dancing wrong. I could see an argument for changing competition rules to allow same-sex competitive partners to modernize it further, but I imagine you'd get a lot of pushback over that one. I don't see the big deal personally as long as each person falls into their role proper, body position and all, and is judged as any other couple would be. Let two guys dance together if they want. Let two girls dance together, one can throw on the dress and one can throw on a suit. Or let them both wear suits even, I dunno, I don't see the big deal. It might be a harder sell for a male follow at social dances, as a lot of heterosexual male leads wouldn't be comfortable dancing with them, especially not in Latin, but babysteps I guess.

This article is a great read to help understand the issues at play here: https://theconversation.com/un-doing-the-traditional-ballroom-lead-and-follow-27286

Edit: I forgot to add that in terms of ANN calling the show itself sexist, I would tend to disagree. I think it does walk a bit of a line, and may at times cross it and become momentarily distasteful (Sengoku yanking off Shizuku's top), but overall I don't think it is a fair judgement call as I saw them constantly take certain scenes/lines completely out of context and frame it as something putting down the female when that wasn't at all was implied by the scene. Ballroom can certainly be crass and childish at times and accentuate the female form, it's marketing to teen males after all, but at no point do I think it actively tried to put the females in a position of the "lesser". It always framed conflicts as differences in artistic opinions or lack of personal understanding, but never as a male/female power dynamic. Hell, it even addressed the traditional gender role thing a couple times. Maybe not satisfactorily, but it acknowledged it. I will say though that I thought Chizuru was incredibly underdeveloped which made her seem like a bit of a vapid poster girl for the show when you even had the underwear trope. The other women I think were handled competently though.
RealityRushDec 21, 2017 5:58 AM
Dec 20, 2017 8:40 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
FInish it dec 17 but forgot to comment.
This last episode was one of the best as a fan of the manga, and suffering due to how slow it updates, it was surely nice to see the arc concluding instead of waiting 3-4 months for manga do it itself.

The series is a fav of mine, so I wont go in details (aside Chi-chan being a great girl), however I felt the manga packed more of a punch to it, all the more for the arc of her meeting Tatara (later half), and we have to be real about the situaion, they could have made the dancing scenes more into detail, with more movement and unique frames...
Oh well, not as good but still plently fun to watch, vs source.

8.9/10
Dec 20, 2017 10:56 PM

Mar 2009
RealityRush said:
Mormegil said:

Traditionally, yes. ANN writers have a bit too much of a bias in this matter to look at the issue in what I consider a balanced way though. It's super complicated and hard to unpack though, but I'll try. Heteronormative in a purely academic sense is just the concept of complementary and opposite gender roles being considered natural or normal in a given activity, or intentionally controlled as such. In ballroom dancing, this would surely apply as Ballroom dancing is normally set up for a male and a female, and is codified as such in competition rules for the World Dance Sport Federation. I believe this is also true of the WDC. In this sense it is certainly "heteronormative".

The way I've seen a lot of ANN writers use the term though carries the added pop-culture baggage along with it that seems to also suggest it puts straight males specifically in a place of superiority over women in their respective roles. This aspect I can certainly understand the impression of, but I don't believe this is accurate to modern ballroom dancing anymore, despite the foundations of the sport most certainly being built on a sexist lean initially. It used to be with ballroom that a lot of movement was essentially the Lead (male) dragging around the Follow (female) through moves. I do ballroom dance myself now, and I asked this question of my teacher and she physically demonstrated this older style for me, and it is annoying, to say the least. The modern style of ballroom dancing is much more equally involved with both parties, the lead and the follow. The easiest example I can think to give is that it use to be for a Natural Top (a spin essentially) that the Lead wouldn't move that much and that the Follow would be going around the Lead. Nowadays, you tend to spin around a point rather than one around the other. You end up using each other to propel yourselves into moves a bit, rather than one person just dragging the other person around. The Waltz is one that really shows this equality in movement in my opinion. Going into a Natural turn, the lead takes the outside and bigger steps with the Follow moving out of the way on the inside with smaller steps, but heading out of the Natural turn those roles are reversed. There's a lot more ying-yang now to the dances essentially.

That all being said, it normally is the Male as the Lead and the Female as the Follow, and while this rule certainly does get bent with younger kids to let the more populous women dance together for practice, as soon as you get older and start hitting up competitions or social dancing, you will fall into that heteronormative regiment. I would argue that competitions are much more equitable, as honestly you are both memorizing a routine, not just winging it, and you both know and execute your roles equitably. The Lead still has to control the dance to some extent to make sure they don't slam into other couples on the floor, but the Follow certainly returns feedback as well to react to in case there's someone in the Lead's blind spot or maybe he just needs to be subtlety reminded of a move. It is a much more dynamic back and forth, and while on paper the Lead is in control of it all, it really does become a rather equal power dynamic, and most female ballroom dances I've met would be pissed at you if you even implied Following was somehow a lesser involved skill. Social dancing with strangers tends to fall back into traditional roles, because if you are complete strangers you have to figure out what the skill levels involved are, come up with moves on the fly, etc. That's where the Lead is really truly leading because someone has to, or it wouldn't be ballroom dancing, which generally means the male as that is what most are trained as. Again though, this doesn't mean being a Follow is somehow easier or less involved or an inferior skill. In fact, personally it seems like it is way harder as the Follow has a split second to figure out what the hell move is coming her way and then execute. The Follow is constantly playing catchup. I really don't think there's much of a meaningful difference in power dynamic here beyond a purely ceremonial and procedural one of someone having to initiate. This show actually did point out multiple times though that you can have a Follow that can "lead" in a sense, as Chinatsu frequently tried to do, she's just doing it from a different body position.

So, to summarize a bit, I would say at this point that I don't think it is fair to call modern Ballroom dancing sexist. I can absolutely appreciate saying that it was built on a foundation of sexism and originally functioned that way in a mechanical sense with the Lead Male literally puppeting the Female Follow, but that isn't how it really works anymore. The sport has changed and now power dynamics are pretty much equal in terms of how the dance actually plays out between the Lead and the Follow. There's a lot of trust and cooperation between the two and it isn't one person just dominating the other, because if so they are dancing wrong. I could see an argument for changing competition rules to allow same-sex competitive partners to modernize it further, but I imagine you'd get a lot of pushback over that one. I don't see the big deal personally as long as each person falls into their role proper, body position and all, and is judged as any other couple would be. Let two guys dance together if they want. Let two girls dance together, one can throw on the dress and one can throw on a suit. Or let them both wear suits even, I dunno, I don't see the big deal. It might be a harder sell for a male follow at social dances, as a lot of heterosexual male leads wouldn't be comfortable dancing with them, especially not in Latin, but babysteps I guess.

This article is a great read to help understand the issues at play here: https://theconversation.com/un-doing-the-traditional-ballroom-lead-and-follow-27286

Edit: I forgot to add that in terms of ANN calling the show itself sexist, I would tend to disagree. I think it does walk a bit of a line, and may at times cross it and become momentarily distasteful (Sengoku yanking off Chizuru's top), but overall I don't think it is a fair judgement call as I saw them constantly take certain scenes/lines completely out of context and frame it as something putting down the female when that wasn't at all was implied by the scene. Ballroom can certainly be crass and childish at times and accentuate the female form, it's marketing to teen males after all, but at no point do I think it actively tried to put the females in a position of the "lesser". It always framed conflicts as differences in artistic opinions or lack of personal understanding, but never as a male/female power dynamic. Hell, it even addressed the traditional gender role thing a couple times. Maybe not satisfactorily, but it acknowledged it. I will say though that I thought Chizuru was incredibly underdeveloped which made her seem like a bit of a vapid poster girl for the show when you even had the underwear trope. The other women I think were handled competently though.

Wow! I appreciate the extremely in-depth and informative reply to my post, especially from someone involved in ballroom dancing.. I honestly thought people would respond with, "DAMN THOSE FILTHY SJWS AT ANN!" or something of that ilk...
:D

I was actually kind of curious as to how it was in actual ballroom dancing, so again, the reply is much appreciated. Makes sense that it was founded that way, so of course the long-established tradition would carry on for a very long time. But it's cool to hear that the power dynamics have changed somewhat. Your point about the Follow's job being called "inferior" or "lesser involved" ties in to ANN's blanket statements here, as it almost sounded like they were implying that, as if the Follow's job is nothing compared to the Lead's. And how dare a woman have to be in that position! The ANN article(more like a conversation between two people meant as a blog post, actually) mentions how Chinatsu was "tamed." Which I wholly disagree with. Chinatsu may not have been my favorite character, but I never saw her as being dominated by Tatara.

You're definitely right about how ANN gets too biased, or perhaps is a little too over-the-top when it comes to stuff like this. There's usually never any subtlety. Personally, I like to read up on all kinds of opinions on the shows I watch from multiple sources. And ANN is one of them, even if I find myself disagreeing with them more often than not. They're obviously one of the biggest anime sites on the internet, and their word gets out there to a wide audience, so it'd be a shame if people looked at Welcome to the Ballroom as a "sexist" anime before even giving it a watch, thanks to ANN. When, in actuality, based on your entire post, the reality of the situation is it's a lot more complicated. Of course, Welcome to the Ballroom being an anime made for the shonen demographic can sometimes paint in broad strokes, even if Chinatsu did change up the power dynamic, so it's not like it didn't try to talk about things like that. And yeah, the usual Sengoku antics, which never sat too well with me. But again, ANIME! That's probably why I liked Chizuru so much, even if she wasn't around too often. She gave Sengoku's shit back to him. :D
Speaking of which, I think you might have meant Shizuku when you talked about Sengoku yanking off her top. I can't remember when Sengoku did that to Chizuru, unless I'm mistaken. Shizuku was definitely vapid. I never really liked her much.

If you haven't read the article already, btw, it's here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/this-week-in-anime/2017-12-14/.125276
Be warned. The comment section for the article is a giant mess.
They've had reviews for each episode, as well.

Once again, thanks for the in-depth reply! I will definitely take a look at the article you posted when I have more time.
Dec 20, 2017 11:21 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
and now is turn to wait a second season!!! kekeke
Dec 21, 2017 6:04 AM

Apr 2013
I'm glad that we got a good final episode. Second half's kinda lackluster because fan favorites like Sengoku, Shizuku, Kiyoharu, and more were mostly sidelined. Plus, the introduction of Chinatsu killed all hopes for Mako and Tatara relationship. Kugimiya did a good job on carrying the while show during the second half. Overall, it is still a very good show.

Can we please get Sesuji wo Pin! to next?

Dec 21, 2017 6:41 AM

Jun 2015
Mormegil said:
I was actually kind of curious as to how it was in actual ballroom dancing, so again, the reply is much appreciated. Makes sense that it was founded that way, so of course the long-established tradition would carry on for a very long time. But it's cool to hear that the power dynamics have changed somewhat. Your point about the Follow's job being called "inferior" or "lesser involved" ties in to ANN's blanket statements here, as it almost sounded like they were implying that, as if the Follow's job is nothing compared to the Lead's. And how dare a woman have to be in that position! The ANN article(more like a conversation between two people meant as a blog post, actually) mentions how Chinatsu was "tamed." Which I wholly disagree with. Chinatsu may not have been my favorite character, but I never saw her as being dominated by Tatara.

You're definitely right about how ANN gets too biased, or perhaps is a little too over-the-top when it comes to stuff like this. There's usually never any subtlety. Personally, I like to read up on all kinds of opinions on the shows I watch from multiple sources. And ANN is one of them, even if I find myself disagreeing with them more often than not. They're obviously one of the biggest anime sites on the internet, and their word gets out there to a wide audience, so it'd be a shame if people looked at Welcome to the Ballroom as a "sexist" anime before even giving it a watch, thanks to ANN. When, in actuality, based on your entire post, the reality of the situation is it's a lot more complicated. Of course, Welcome to the Ballroom being an anime made for the shonen demographic can sometimes paint in broad strokes, even if Chinatsu did change up the power dynamic, so it's not like it didn't try to talk about things like that. And yeah, the usual Sengoku antics, which never sat too well with me. But again, ANIME! That's probably why I liked Chizuru so much, even if she wasn't around too often. She gave Sengoku's shit back to him. :D
Speaking of which, I think you might have meant Shizuku when you talked about Sengoku yanking off her top. I can't remember when Sengoku did that to Chizuru, unless I'm mistaken. Shizuku was definitely vapid. I never really liked her much.

Whoops! I did mean Shizuku, thanks for the correction. Fixed.

But yeah, I read the ANN article and comments already, and it's a clusterfuck. I mean, here's the thing, if someone wants to call Ballroom "sexist", I'm honestly not going to argue with them. It has enough tropey anime scenes that are couched in sexist attitudes, especially early on in the show, that someone can easily fall into the trap of dismissing the whole show because of it, and honestly that is their prerogative. It sets up some bad expectations out of the gate and only really addresses the topic seriously later on. Japan in general is still a very sexist culture so this isn't really surprising. I do think the show eventually tries to put its best foot forward in this regard though and often goes out of its way to describe a more equitable power dynamic with the male lead and female follow, which is much closer to the reality of it.

Also yeah, the "taming" comment in the ANN article, as I mentioned, kind of ignores a lot of context around it. This comment specifically...

the show has to tell Tatara to "take the reins" and break this "wild mare" in maybe the grossest metaphor for partnership I've ever encountered.

...really isn't accurate imo. I'm pretty sure the show was largely commentating on Chinatsu's (and Shizuku's) personality, regardless of her gender. Have two gay male dancers and comment on one of them needing to be tamed and I bet no one cares, it is just a function of being a Follow. There's certainly room there for the show to challenge the idea that males should always be assertive and women should always be submissive, and how maybe reversing dance roles for Chinatsu and Tatara--which the show actually did touch on to some extent--could be a novel idea, but I don't think you can fault the show for not wanting to address that wasps nest. Not every show has to be a social statement or try to solve every case of inequality during its run-time. In this case it was just Chinatsu saying the kind of guy she's into and both of them trying to fall into their roles proper and balance their movement dynamics. A fiery attitude isn't even just something the show is strictly trying to apply to males here, it is the attitude expected of all dancers, regardless of gender. Judges literally will mark someone else down over you if you aren't smiling your ass off and putting some attitude into your dance, especially in Latin dancing. That is an integral part of it, male, female, or otherkin. I actually appreciated the dynamic with say, Sengoku and Chizuru. Both were fiery and would equally take it out on each other, no holds barred. No one was afraid to pull punches, literally.

ANN started losing me as a reader a while ago though, so this isn't surprising. I only really like Nick Creamers articles/reviews at this point and the ultra-progressive slant over there and pushing of said agenda gets tiring at the best of times, even as a progressive myself that can see room for improvement in this sport and in anime.
RealityRushDec 21, 2017 6:46 AM
Dec 22, 2017 7:01 AM

Aug 2014
Chinatsu best girl in this serie.
The anime got a good ending and feel complete even if the manga will continue. (even tough i think the manga will not get that much further because the authors health seems not good at all. Better to focus on health then the manga my opinion)
Dec 22, 2017 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
As for those who saw the competition, I have mixed feelings, I would have preferred to win Masami and Tamie, but I'm happy anyway. Really intense storytelling that perfectly concludes the anime series, giving a quick rundown of all the characters, already so I am fully satisfied, but I would be a liar if I did not admit that a possible follow-up would make me really happy, but to what was seen, it seems that it will take a lot, who knows!
The anime series at the beginning did not start with the right foot or I would have given something more, however my vote is 8/10.
Dec 22, 2017 10:42 PM

Feb 2010
best ship of the year
Dec 26, 2017 11:33 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode! The dance was really beautiful, Tatara and Chi-chan did a great job! 9/10
Dec 28, 2017 11:27 PM

May 2013
Yeyyyyyy! Great ending :'D loved that chuuu~ reward from Chinatsu to Fujita huehuehue :}

They were truly captivating.

8/10
Some of the analogies were very unique in this-- like the four legged image or Chinatsu emerging from her cocoon inside of Fujita's chest LMAO. Or the door opening thing. Really different concepts that I quite enjoyed. Also the jokes were funny as well lmao.

You gotta have an open mind for this anime bc they don't follow logic at times-- Fujita losing control of his body over Hyoudo's stretching him out lololol. Or when he already had that shadow of Shizuku so early on after barely learning dance. But just remember that there are other ridiculous ideas in anime already out there like Kuroko no Basuke haha. So calm yo tits about it and enjoy :P This anime was quite good. I'm glad it was pretty much worth the hype -^___^- could've had more actual dancing scenes, but oh wells.

Super cute that one ep where Fujita said Chinatsu is the most beautiful and no one else understands that better than him. CUTE CUTE. I'm so glad they found each other and were perfect together in the end :') and how Fujita resembles Sengoku after evolving as a real dancer. That part about him made me know that the judges will favor their pair over Kugimiya's :3 Sengoku in any form will win LOOLLLL jkjk ;P but yee hahaha. Fricken Akira still flirting with Fujita cuz she can't admit her lesbo crush on Chinatsu lmao smhhhhh >.> and peep sad Mako-chan about losing Fujita as her lead ;A; d'awwhhhhh~ I still liked that pair hehe. Even though ultimately, I knew Chinatsu was gonna be the one :3
Kokoro_KotashimaDec 28, 2017 11:35 PM
Dec 31, 2017 2:00 AM

Apr 2014
That was an intense finale! They really went all out! I loved this anime adaptation! (That cheek kiss though!)
I wish the manga author gets well and catch up on the anime and continue where it left off.
So I will be rating this anime an 8 (or maybe a 9?) out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 31, 2017 3:48 PM

Mar 2009
rafi160 said:
season 2 in 5 years maybe?

I've waited for D. Gray-man second season and I'll be witing for this one :'D
Jan 4, 2018 6:30 AM

Feb 2012
ChowCwow said:
rafi160 said:
season 2 in 5 years maybe?

I've waited for D. Gray-man second season and I'll be witing for this one :'D

Im stil waiting for HSoD , Spice & wolf, bunch of top selling sports anime to get their second season but tv studios are too dumb to really give oversea viewers what they like
Jan 4, 2018 7:25 AM
Oct 2015
I need more of this anime :O. Loved this final episode, i hope they will make a second season :D. Was a 7 at best but it kept me going for more to be honest.
Jan 4, 2018 7:37 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, the animation style and all the plot love one!!!
Jan 14, 2018 3:51 AM

Sep 2011
That cheek kiss sealed the deal for me!
Jan 15, 2018 4:10 AM

Dec 2012
I'm looking. I'm looking. I can't stop looking!

Fantastic finale. Tatara & Chi's waltz reminded me of Aladdin's "A Whole New World." Just so wondrous and captured that similar childhood wonder. As for the last dance, the imagery was so rich and vibrant. It made me think of Shigatsu's style in the way that it conveyed its feelings through a commanding yet dazzlingly elegant dance.

Overall, Ballroom e Youkoso really took me by surprise. What started off as a faintly familiar scene from my days of dance classes transformed into a heartpounding journey that led Tatara to his passion. The various dances conveyed very profound emotions from gentle grace to fierce passion. All of them beautiful, all impossible to look away from.

Ballroom also does an excellent job at representing the relationship dynamics between the characters through their roles as partners. This was especially the case with Tatara and Chi as they discovered their chemistry in the dance competition.

8/10, another example of how anime can take a seemingly unconventional sport and bring it to life in a way that's seldom appreciated.
Jan 15, 2018 11:22 AM

May 2010
Now that was a solid series. I got a bit bored in a few episodes of the 2nd half but that payed off very well. I could have been equally satisfied if Kugimiya's pair one but Tatara and Chi-chan winning just made me go "yes!" and I couldn't even believe myself I said that haha.

8/10 for this. Liked Shizuku, Mako and ended up liking Chi-chan as well. Okay, also Tamie and Kugimiya. And Chizuru.
Jan 15, 2018 12:14 PM

Jan 2015
That was quite a good ride. I also feel nostalgic. I hope a second season but it's too difficult.
Jan 18, 2018 3:58 AM

Jan 2016
I think I wasted my time on this anime, I was looking for a deep Romance anime and this was not what I expected, In fact, it didn't have romance at all... MAL's genre database is not trustable.

I was so surprised when I saw that everyone was just so excited from a kiss on the cheek!!
Feb 10, 2018 5:10 AM

Oct 2016
At first I thought that this anime would be better if it had an action theme but as i progressed through the episodes I thought that maybe this anime is best in its own way and later on i realised that shit......Why did i think that this would be a better anime if it were to be action themed because normally there are tons of animes in which have a similar style of "being evaluated by many people in a literal battle" with those sudden trump card moves which then decide the match (like beyblade). I thought that damn this is what the story writers have done of Ball room e youkoso! They took your average everyday cliche "being evaluated in the heat of the battle" action anime and implemented it into a new art style of just a real life situation without the superpowers bullshit and in order to do that the story writers portrayed it elegantly in a competitive sport and Im sitting here like realising it so late lol. This was a unique themed anime and i give the story writers/creators huge props for this. The realistic drama was also a thing which caught my attention, well done.

I would give this anime a 10 due to the lack of romance Ill give it a 9 :)

I would also like to point out that there were some moments in where the character's necks were abnormal lol, I get it because your neck and posture is supposed is supposed to stand out in this sport.
Im I the only one who noticed it ? XD

Feb 18, 2018 6:21 AM

Aug 2016
Amazing ending to the series, was so freaking nervous! and that kiss! omg, still, mako-chan best girl! This anime had amazing characters! It was a great watch for sure! 10/10
Nanika ga Okashii
Mar 31, 2018 10:59 AM
Feb 2016
Totally enjoyed this anime. I guess in a way I'm glad that instead of watching it weekly I watched it in marathon instead. It's so sweet how the females are supporting females while the males are looking up to the males. So not much jealousy or drama there.

As expected of the animation company: Production I.G for bringing us such amazing animation quality. And they tend to adapt sports genre as well.

If there's a season 2 I'll definitely be watching, with the condition that the manga material is enough to be adapted.
Apr 15, 2018 11:42 AM

May 2016
KitoraList said:
Can we please get Sesuji wo Pin! to next?

lol though the same, but i dont think sesuji is good enough
Apr 21, 2018 10:46 AM

Aug 2010
What a great way to end the series. This episodes dance sequences were the best of the series. That cheek kiss too :) Really liked the show a lot more once Chinatsu was introduced. Tatara x Chinatsu really bring out the best in each other.

I need a S2!
Apr 26, 2018 3:00 PM
Aug 2012
Ballroom was a sheer excitement for me from the very start till the last moment! What a great show! Thank you!
Apr 28, 2018 10:37 AM

May 2015
Well, this adaptation was a disappointment to say the least (to me)... I didn’t get the feeling of awe I got from the manga while watching it. I’d say that overall directing was sub-par and a miss opportunity for something much better.

I guess a future second season is out of the question with the mangaka health problems and the extremely poor sales reception it got... I’m not even sure if this even helped boost the manga sales as much as wanted.

5/10

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
May 10, 2018 1:27 PM

Jan 2012
I should of watched it much sooner. I didnt expect it to be this good and the fact it made me more interest to Ballroom dancing and learning about the types of dancing styles.

Yahallo!
Yatta!
Baka!

<!
"Humans, your existence was a mistake. Conflicts, lies, jealously, greed. You once caused me to lose everything and today I will devour everything... Because I am the Valkyrie Goddess">
Sep 28, 2018 11:12 AM

Oct 2009
I didn't enjoy an anime this much since I don't even remember when. I experienced many emotions, so thanks a lot for this!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

126 by vanne_ »»
May 20, 4:31 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 27, 2023 8:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.