Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 18, 2017 9:34 PM

Aug 2016
Because we are all masochist! Other than that, for me, I don't think I can give a score to an anime I haven't finished cause there's anime that starts really bad but gets better as the series continues and the other way around.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 18, 2017 11:41 PM

Jun 2011
Because I laughed at how bad it was so I completed it. (see: Servamp. Or anime like Diabolik Lovers)

Because it is very popular and I wanted to know why.

Because it was being played at anime club.

Because it was very short (It is one episode, why would I stop midway?).

Purposeful wanting to know how bad it could be. I am a curious person and like to know "what is the worst out there?" And I take breaks from good anime and watch things rated around 6-5 often. Because they are pretty interesting and sometimes I actually like them.
Energetic-NovaMay 18, 2017 11:46 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 19, 2017 12:02 AM

Mar 2017
Because i felt bad for it?

Happened to me in Samurai Flamenco and, since by the time episode 11 rolls in, i know it's going to be a crap, but hey, let's just enjoy it.
It's time to play the Game folks!
May 19, 2017 1:08 AM

May 2015
OriginANIME said:
I used to complete everything I watch no matter how bad/boring it is. The reason I did this was because I like to discuss/review/recommend anime so being able to actually critique one while knowing everything about it was very important to me.

That being said as I got older I had less time to watch anime therefore I have stopped doing the above. Now if an anime is unbearable I just drop it or put it on hold. If I'm not genuinely enjoying the series by episode 3 I don't even bother wasting my time.

I learned you can critique something even if you didn't finish it. Your critique simply applies to only the parts you watched. Then you can hear if the anime changes and improves.

After all, if you dropped it you have reasons for it and you can articulate these.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 19, 2017 3:21 AM

Oct 2016
I don't usually do it since I immediately drop animes I find bad or plain boring. But for some special cases, I think I decided to finish them because I was interested on how it would crash and burn XD

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 19, 2017 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
The real question is how do you complete bad anime?

What strategies do viewers use to finish anime that they find uninteresting?
removed-userMay 19, 2017 9:54 AM
May 19, 2017 8:45 AM

May 2012
Usually, by the time I realize I'm not really enjoying an anime, I'm more than halfway through it, and so it feels like I'm in too deep to retreat. I rarely drop anime to begin with since I look at how they've been received before watching, but there are only two cases where I dropped an anime past the halfway point.
May 19, 2017 9:09 AM

Jul 2010
Because watching garbage is fun. Shit like Mars of Destruction, Pupa, and Legend of Duo give me life, and seeing a new anime with an abysmal score makes me giddy.
May 19, 2017 9:12 AM

Sep 2011
Because I'm simply bored, that might as well waste my precious time of my life on a certain bad anime.

May 19, 2017 12:23 PM

Mar 2015
I don't actually (lol) just delete it off the list and pretend it never happened. I dunno, I gave some exceptions on some, but not many series. It's like a video game you have to grind through just for the sake of being done with it.

"Achieve not with the squad, but by yourself." - Urie

May 19, 2017 12:32 PM

May 2017
Some times happened because there was a character I liked that kept me watching.

But generally because I can't stand to leave something incomplete.

May 19, 2017 12:34 PM

Apr 2011
To bash on it and watch fanboys weep.
May 19, 2017 12:35 PM

Jan 2015
Its my inner completionist playing.

So..bad...need..to....finis..h....
May 19, 2017 1:14 PM

Sep 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
OriginANIME said:
I used to complete everything I watch no matter how bad/boring it is. The reason I did this was because I like to discuss/review/recommend anime so being able to actually critique one while knowing everything about it was very important to me.

That being said as I got older I had less time to watch anime therefore I have stopped doing the above. Now if an anime is unbearable I just drop it or put it on hold. If I'm not genuinely enjoying the series by episode 3 I don't even bother wasting my time.

I learned you can critique something even if you didn't finish it. Your critique simply applies to only the parts you watched. Then you can hear if the anime changes and improves.

After all, if you dropped it you have reasons for it and you can articulate these.

I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion if you want to write an in-depth review about something you should know everything about it. There is a huge difference between reviewing an anime from what you have seen already and a complete overview. This way you can cover ALL the flaws, the few positives, and your overall thoughts of how the anime progressed from the beginning to the end instead of prejudging without actually completing it.

Just my two cents, but I do agree with what you're saying.
May 19, 2017 1:22 PM

Jul 2016
I think some people are just so critical that they're almost never happy with what they watch. On the other hand, maybe some people do what I do and fast forward/skip episodes of bad shows when it's not causing you to miss much important information just to complete it faster. Active Raid, One Punch man, and Serial Experiments Lain are just three examples I used one of these 2 methods while watching. No need to start a fight here as I'm just giving examples. If you liked them, just keep it to yourself.

May 19, 2017 1:27 PM

Jul 2016
OriginANIME said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion if you want to write an in-depth review about something you should know everything about it. There is a huge difference between reviewing an anime from what you have seen already and a complete overview. This way you can cover ALL the flaws, the few positives, and your overall thoughts of how the anime progressed from the beginning to the end instead of prejudging without actually completing it.

I have to agree with the other person here. As long as you specify around where you stopped watching the show in your review, you can easily review it well from what you've seen. If a flaw you mention is fixed later in the series, there's nothing stopping someone from commenting on your profile to tell you that and you can always finish it and edit the review afterwords if the problem being fixed will improve your score by a good amount.

May 19, 2017 1:29 PM

Jul 2013
Because some anime started off "okay", and then got worse and worse as they progressed.

Because some fanboys kept on shoving "it'll get better" down my throat. I usually ignore them, but sometimes I TRY to complete the anime just to appreciate the fanboys reaction (cough cough Eromanga cough cough).
May 19, 2017 1:52 PM

Sep 2011
TakamiKaribuchi said:
OriginANIME said:

I have to agree with the other person here. As long as you specify around where you stopped watching the show in your review, you can easily review it well from what you've seen. If a flaw you mention is fixed later in the series, there's nothing stopping someone from commenting on your profile to tell you that and you can always finish it and edit the review afterwords if the problem being fixed will improve your score by a good amount.

I just said that.

There is a difference between a review of an anime you have seen up to a certain point, and a complete overview.
May 19, 2017 2:32 PM

Jul 2016
OriginANIME said:
TakamiKaribuchi said:

I just said that.

There is a difference between a review of an anime you have seen up to a certain point, and a complete overview.

I know you were getting at that. It seemed like you discrediting pre-completion reviews though so I stepped in quickly. I know you weren't being harsh or anything.

May 19, 2017 2:45 PM

Sep 2011
TakamiKaribuchi said:
OriginANIME said:

I just said that.

I know you were getting at that. It seemed like you discrediting pre-completion reviews though so I stepped in quickly. I know you weren't being harsh or anything.

Naw I'm not discrediting them, its just two completely different things.

Plus I did say that's what I felt was important to me. Obviously it differs between everybody, but that's how I feel about it.
May 19, 2017 3:16 PM

Jul 2015
I just finish everything what I start.
When I need a pause from an annoying anime (or if it bores me at some point) I put it on hold to watch it later.
May 19, 2017 3:59 PM

Sep 2010
Cause why not, also because boredom
May 19, 2017 5:05 PM

Oct 2013
If there are sex scenes in it. Like Yosugan no Sora
May 19, 2017 5:17 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
If it's short I'll complete it regardless, just for the sake of doing so. It seems pointless to drop a 2 or 3 episode OVA.

If it's not abysmal with nothing to keep me going then I'll usually have the patience to see where it goes and try to give it the time of day. It usually has to be something that's not for me and clearly won't appeal to me (so not "bad" per se as much as just clearly not my taste), or something that seems like it has nothing I'd like going for it and would only annoy me, making continuing it seem like a waste of time that would look like a net loss in all sorts of ways, for me to go ahead and outright drop it.

I would say if I found it bad but was close enough to finishing it before it became totally irredeemable towards the end, but then I look at Haruhi 2009 on my drop list and so I don't think that holds much water for me like I initially thought it did.
ManabanMay 19, 2017 5:20 PM

May 19, 2017 8:53 PM

Jul 2014
Gotta see why it's shit in the first place, else my argument has no substance...
May 19, 2017 9:35 PM

Aug 2016
Ask yourself an important question, first.

1) Is this a bad anime or is it just me?

Is this something I am predisposed to enjoy? Personally, I like science-fiction and fantasy but I am tired of high school settings. Therefore, if I start watching a show set in a high school (including a science-fiction or fantasy high school), I am less likely to be well-disposed toward it. I don't find yuri or yaoi enjoyable. I am not the target audience.

Thus, is a show like Yuri on Ice going to appeal to me? Probably not. Does that make it bad? No.

More people should ask themselves this question before just rating something.

Next, ask this important question:

2) Is the show bad or is it just dated?

Plenty of shows seem downright trite and cliche nowadays but were new, fresh, and exciting when they first aired. For example, I finished Captain Harlock a few months ago. Man, it was rough--the animation was, compared to modern methods, downright abysmal. However, for the time (1970s), it was standard television fare. The story had many very cliched moments but they were delivered with such sincerity and earnestness that I couldn't help but enjoy them anyway.

In other words, I had to consciously set aside my current standards in order to appreciate the original Space Pirate Captain Harlock. I had to try to approach the show with the mentality that it was released in a different context to an audience not just of another culture but another time.

This is reflected in what @InsaneLeader13 said:

InsaneLeader13 said:

2. The show is consistently bad in some way or another, but it can bring out the guns of awesome every now and again and really blow you away. (Macross 1982)

I very much disagree that the original Macross was consistently bad. But that's neither here nor there. Either way, InsaneLeader13 pointed out how it could still succeed in spite of its shortcomings (and boy, did it have some, such as the animation quality varying from episode-to-episode).

Permit me to suggest that it is possible InsaneLeader13 can see past the "datedness" of the original Macross and actually appreciate it.

3) If the show is bad, why am I watching it?

There could be a number of reasons. @romagia posted TAS's reasons. Some of them apply to me, as well.

I'd like to say, though, that I sometimes want to see why a show failed. What went wrong? If it had an intriguing concept, amazing direction, excellent animation, but a trainwreck of a story, I want to figure out why it went wrong. Isolating why and how something is bad is also an explanation of pitfalls to avoid. This is where criticism is constructive and necessary.

Also, sometimes we just like things that are bad. I've said it elsewhere that I like stuff that is bad and there are some masterpieces I don't enjoy. Darren Aronofsky films don't do it for me but that doesn't make them not works of pure cinematic genius. Simultaneously, I will never, ever score a flick like Ice Pirates above a 2 or 3 out of 10 but I still enjoy the hell out of it when it is on.
May 20, 2017 1:22 AM

May 2015
OriginANIME said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

If you're writing a book-length essay then sure. But you can write an in-depth review of 1000 words from just one episode. What's crucial is that you're honest about your data set - how many episodes you watched. Once you establish this solid ground, write whatever you want. Any claim you make then is easy to trace back to the source.
May 20, 2017 3:36 AM

Sep 2011
TheBrainintheJar said:
OriginANIME said:

If you're writing a book-length essay then sure. But you can write an in-depth review of 1000 words from just one episode. What's crucial is that you're honest about your data set - how many episodes you watched. Once you establish this solid ground, write whatever you want. Any claim you make then is easy to trace back to the source.

I don't think anyone understands what I'm trying to say...

I'm not doubting anyone's claim on what an in-depth review is, or that you have to complete something/know everything about something to write a review on it. What I am saying is if you were to write a complete overview of an anime consisting of your thoughts from the first episode to the last (which is what I wanted to do) then you should have had completed that anime. For an example: You can't just write a review about your thoughts on the last episode of an anime without actually completing the last episode. At the end of the day it's your opinion on the anime and not anyone else's so their opinion is irrelevant.

Of course if you're only writing a review on 1 or 2 episodes (and specify that) then that's okay too. Like I said these are two completely different things.

1. Episode reviews (review strictly on that specific episode)
2. Progress reviews (usually for on-going anime)
3. Complete reviews (complete anime review from the first to last episode)
All different.
May 20, 2017 4:11 AM

Jun 2015
Dropping Anime Series is for the weak.
May 20, 2017 11:01 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
I think it's more fair to watch through an anime in case I missed the reason why a majority liked a particular anime when I didn't than to drop the anime and give it a low rating.

Also wanna keep the masochist achievement :P
May 20, 2017 11:11 AM

Apr 2016
I don't. Why would I waste my time if bad/boring anime?
May 21, 2017 12:26 AM

May 2015
OriginANIME said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't think anyone understands what I'm trying to say...

I'm not doubting anyone's claim on what an in-depth review is, or that you have to complete something/know everything about something to write a review on it. What I am saying is if you were to write a complete overview of an anime consisting of your thoughts from the first episode to the last (which is what I wanted to do) then you should have had completed that anime. For an example: You can't just write a review about your thoughts on the last episode of an anime without actually completing the last episode. At the end of the day it's your opinion on the anime and not anyone else's so their opinion is irrelevant.

Of course if you're only writing a review on 1 or 2 episodes (and specify that) then that's okay too. Like I said these are two completely different things.

1. Episode reviews (review strictly on that specific episode)
2. Progress reviews (usually for on-going anime)
3. Complete reviews (complete anime review from the first to last episode)
All different.

I agree watching all of it will increase your data set, but what you're asking for is bigger than a review. You're asking for something nearly book-length, in that it's 20 pages. For a basic, in-depth review though - not something academic - you don't have to watch all of it.
May 21, 2017 12:39 AM

Dec 2015
ShadowCode said:
Well theres a difference between being bad and being boring. I can finish an anime that is bad. However I cant finish an anime that is so boring I constantly lose focus. Thats what my dropped list is for.

It's sort of like all boring shows are bad, but not all bad shows are boring.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime???

Animystics - Yesterday

29 by Mayahuel »»
3 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

13 by Kwanthemaster »»
14 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

10 by Zarutaku »»
21 minutes ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - Jun 13

18 by APolygons2 »»
55 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

124 by BilboBaggins365 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.