Forum Settings
Forums

Does being a model mean the person is truly good-looking?

New
Aug 8, 2013 2:25 PM

Feb 2013
The requirements for being a fashion model is to meet the physical perfection. A face prettier than the average face, height, etc.
When we see a very ugly face, it is practically unanimous that the person is indeed ugly.
So meeting the requirements to be hired by a modeling agency should be unanimous the person is good-looking. And I say just about the FACE, ok.

I thought there should be an unanimity of attractiveness of models' faces, the same when we see a very ugly face.

Can we disregard the "model standard"?

This woman (Rila Fukushima) is a fashion model, and I find her ugly (not HORRIBLE), but ugly, as many others do.

More photos of modeling of Rila Fukushima (ALL ugly):

Other ulgy model, Marianne Schroder:

Ugly supermodel, Kate Moss:

john_doe_Aug 9, 2013 2:28 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2013 2:26 PM

May 2013
dont believe the model jew
Aug 8, 2013 2:28 PM

May 2013
Indeed, that person is ugly.
Aug 8, 2013 2:32 PM

Dec 2009
Yes, she is very ugly.

And my answer to your title is, no because everyone has their own perspective of beauty.
Aug 8, 2013 2:36 PM

Apr 2012
What the heck is that creature?! WHAT DID I CREATE? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?

And models usually advertise for clothing, so they could even cut her face off in the pictures, as long as she poses properly and has a good looking body it doesn't matter.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Aug 8, 2013 2:37 PM

Jul 2013
waalex11 said:
Yes, she is very ugly.

And my answer to your title is, no because everyone has their own perspective of beauty.
Immahnoob said:
What the heck is that creature?! WHAT DID I CREATE? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?

And models usually advertise for clothing, so they could even cut her face off in the pictures, as long as she poses properly and has a good looking body it doesn't matter.

She looks like a anorexic goldfish that was mutated with a hamster.
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Aug 8, 2013 2:39 PM

Jul 2010
A model is someone who can attract attention to the product they're selling. Hence, they needn't be pretty imo. They need to be attention-attracting.
Models that need to be beautiful is yet another misconception I dislike, just like some countries think their Miss Country should be catwalk material.

Aug 8, 2013 2:39 PM

Dec 2012
Immahnoob said:

This; depending on what you model it's generally the body that is sought for.

Aug 8, 2013 2:41 PM

Feb 2013
waalex11 said:

I don't think so. There are very ugly faces that no one can consider attractive. There should be also the same for finding the face indeed beautiful. But it looks like the model standard isn't.
john_doe_Aug 8, 2013 2:47 PM
Aug 8, 2013 2:59 PM

Apr 2013
waalex11 said:
everyone has their own perspective of beauty.
this + most models are employed because they have a "unique look" and they are tall. I have like 4 friends (girls) who are models and at least 1 of them is really not that pretty.
Aug 8, 2013 3:08 PM

Jun 2012
No. I have never in my life looked at a supermodel and thought they were "attractive" to me. Of course I could always be proven wrong on that though. I just generally don't like the "supermodel" look at all and typically my only thoughts are about what I wish they didn't do to themselves.
Aug 8, 2013 3:11 PM

Oct 2012
no it does not mean they are good looking
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 8, 2013 3:14 PM

Nov 2008
Not always, some models end up looking ugly without their makeup and some with their makeup on.

Aug 8, 2013 3:14 PM

Feb 2013
Sourire said:
models are employed because they have a "unique look" and they are tall. I have like 4 friends (girls) who are models and at least 1 of them is really not that pretty.

Generally, models are considered very beautiful people. But I see many "average" faces look better than the supposedly beautiful model faces.

I will accept the model faces as "unique" instead of beautiful, but I guess it will be hard for our culture to abandon the "beautiful" status automatically attributed to models.
Aug 8, 2013 3:16 PM

Mar 2012
Looks don't have anything to do with it.

A model is merely someone who can sell the product that a company is trying to sell, it's just that companies are lazy and think "beautiful people = successful product".
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
Aug 8, 2013 3:18 PM

Sep 2011
That first girl has a fivehead if I've ever seen one.

I've always thought that models were chosen based on facial symmetry, but an ugly symmetrical face is still an ugly face.
Aug 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Jul 2010
adding the Kate Moss photos is odd... You should've put some of her official ad photos from when she was actually a model and not an old hag with drug issues.

like these ones:

Just like with the Asian girl :)

Also, I am not that much into fashion, mind you all, so I will quit this thread from now on.

Aug 8, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2013
^that second kate moss picture is airbrushed big time.
Aug 8, 2013 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
JustMyself said:
adding the Kate Moss photos is odd... You should've put some of her official ad photos from when she was actually a model and not an old hag with drug issues.
Just like with the Asian girl :)

THIS is a photo of when Kate Moss was a model:

And more photos of modeling of Rila Fukushima (ALL ugly):
Aug 8, 2013 3:31 PM

Nov 2011
Yeah, that girl is horrible, ugly people should be banned from be models.
I luv u
Aug 8, 2013 3:33 PM

Sep 2012
I have noticed at least in my country that they now only hire women as models for the sole reason of being slim.
I see a lot of girls that feel like the last tree in the desert because they are models, when in reallity they are ugly as hell.
Back in my days girls needed to actually be pretty and have a nice body to become a model.
Aug 8, 2013 4:00 PM

Feb 2013
Jauregui said:

I see a lot of girls that feel like the last tree in the desert because they are models

There are ugly MALE models as well:

Abiah Hostvedt

Aug 8, 2013 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
No, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Aug 8, 2013 4:05 PM

Nov 2012
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Being a model doesnt mean you are good looking. Thats ridiculous.
I know many "normal" girls that are much prettier than celebs/models.
Im sure some would disagree with me, but thats how it works.

Ninja'd, darn you Starchaser187

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Aug 8, 2013 4:07 PM

May 2013
I don't think that beauty is the only way to become a model, sometimes, modeling industries will as well hire someone who looks nice, or kind, rather than being pure physically beautiful. Like that japanese lady you've been posting as ugly, yea, she may not look really pretty, but she has this 'kind looking' face. Suitable for a supporting protagonist role in a movie.
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Aug 8, 2013 4:13 PM

Nov 2012
pauro19 said:
I don't think that beauty is the only way to become a model, sometimes, modeling industries will as well hire someone who looks nice, or kind, rather than being pure physically beautiful. Like that japanese lady you've been posting as ugly, yea, she may not look really pretty, but she has this 'kind looking' face. Suitable for a supporting protagonist role in a movie.

I agree with what your saying, sometimes people like to hire someone who is more relateable to the public.
But I dont agree with the movie role, Ew. Dont think id watch that movie.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Aug 8, 2013 4:14 PM

Oct 2011
Can't fap
Aug 8, 2013 4:14 PM

Dec 2011
From my experience in the fashion industry, I can honestly tell you that the majority of models (be it run-way or photoshoots) are indeed AVERAGE looking, leaning ever so slightly onto the 'attractive' side. Moreso than attractiveness, scouts look for: facial symmetry, height (primarily for run-way, but it's still really important either way), body type/size, and skin purity/tone. If a person has a face that is very symmetrical, it is VERY easy to make them 'good-looking' with the use of make-up and a bit of touch-ups on the shot.

That's pretty much it.
Aug 8, 2013 4:15 PM

Jun 2012
most of the time yes
all fitness models have to be hot
but a lot of them have ugly voices. valeria orsini is hawt as fuark but her voice makes my pp shrivel up and turn into cabbage
but you don't even know how dank my memes are
Aug 8, 2013 4:19 PM

Dec 2012
THEY ARE PRETTY...according to a small group of people, owners, and sharers of the product being sold

The day I see a beautiful woman without makeup is the day I ask her out without hesitation or regret.
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
Aug 9, 2013 1:07 AM

Jul 2010
Heh... Redirecting me from my profile. Nice. I am not a fan of any model, as said, so I don't really care that much.

However, I am starting to think about this Asian girl... are we all people that aren't Asian and/or haven't lived in Asia (especially Japan) for years? I think it might be something specific for the region as well. Because her shoots are for really big magazines.
I see what can be liked about her image in the Taiwan Vogue magazine cover.

Honestly, I don't think she's that ugly. She has unique features and I honestly think random people should be able to see famous people taking their so-called negative sides and winning from them.
So... I won't judge her like you, Xyz, are doing.

Aug 9, 2013 1:17 AM

Jun 2008
Most models are like walking sticks really. Hardly the most attractive bodies.
Aug 9, 2013 1:30 AM

Jun 2013
No, most of the time as long as you're the right height and size to fit into the clothes you can be a successful model. There are some really good looking models, but good looks isn't all that important in the industry, if anything looking strange or unusual is preferred more nowadays ._____.
Aug 9, 2013 2:52 AM
Aug 9, 2013 3:06 AM

Aug 2012
I will reiterate what has been stated multiple times in this thread.

Beauty is subjective.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 9, 2013 3:11 AM

Sep 2009
Models are random people that satisfy an arbitrary standard of beauty.

Honestly, depending on what sources you drawing from anyone could be a model.
Aug 9, 2013 3:48 AM
Feb 2013
Plastic surgery and photoshop can go a long way buddy.
Aug 9, 2013 4:33 AM

Jan 2012
The casual photo of Kate Moss is actually pretty hot imo, I really don't like most conventional models though, most look like a beanpole with an alien head stuck on top.
Aug 9, 2013 4:55 AM

Feb 2013
Goryo said:

Beauty is subjective.

Guess I'll reiterate this once again, since I completely agree.
Aug 9, 2013 8:08 AM

Dec 2011
ExistentDesire said:
Goryo said:

Beauty is subjective.

Despite "beauty being subjective", modeling is not based on 'beauty', but rather, marketing. In this case, what is subjective, turns into statistics, and by statistics, yes, being a model does require one to be 'beautiful'. Well put here:
LordLagann said:
Models are random people that satisfy an arbitrary standard of beauty.
Aug 9, 2013 8:15 AM

Jun 2013
Probably, i mean that's how one gets discovered.
Aug 9, 2013 8:20 AM

Dec 2012
DarChronicle said:
ExistentDesire said:
Goryo said:

Beauty is subjective.

Despite "beauty being subjective", modeling is not based on 'beauty', but rather, marketing. In this case, what is subjective, turns into statistics, and by statistics, yes, being a model does require one to be 'beautiful'. Well put here:

Beautiful according to who?
Schools out, No job at moment, STILL hello MAL Eh..I will try to be online
Aug 9, 2013 11:26 AM

Jul 2012
The fashion industry seems to have an entirely different set of standards when it comes to the attractive qualities of women. The impact they have on impressionable young girls is incredibly bad, with the stick thin models causing girls to starve themselves.

Being stick thin isn't attractive yet we're told it is. This should just stop before more girls are hurt.
Aug 9, 2013 1:52 PM

Apr 2012
Obviously not.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 9, 2013 2:11 PM
Sykolicious

Jul 2013
Opinions, opinions.. there's no fact saying "this girl is pretty" even tho the majority think so. Beauty depends on the view from the people looking and their opinions. By saying a girl is pretty that would be one persons opinion, and that opinion would differ from every single human being on earth.
Aug 9, 2013 2:31 PM

Jul 2008
No because beauty is subjective.

As for models, the goal is always to sell something, right?

Runway models are nothing but walking clothes hangers. So all that is required of them is pretty much to be tall, bone thin and a face that takes well to make-up.

As for editorial models, you get some that I would find genuinely adorable or beautiful and some that I wouldn't, but the point is that they are showing off clothes or representing a theme, and maybe the designer/photographer/whoever is doing this needs a model who can look interesting or even frightening rather than "omg pretty!!!"

On the subject of Kate Moss, she's known for being waifish and skinny as fuck so that's probably what gets her jobs. She's not exactly ugly, kind of interesting features IMO but she isn't my favourite (for that, and a whole other host of reasons). also in one of those top photos I'd like to point out that in unflattering make-up and lighting even Aphrodite would look ugly.

Although for some reason American Apparel insists of doing both in their ads. I will never understand.

Everflow said:
The fashion industry seems to have an entirely different set of standards when it comes to the attractive qualities of women. The impact they have on impressionable young girls is incredibly bad, with the stick thin models causing girls to starve themselves.

Being stick thin isn't attractive yet we're told it is. This should just stop before more girls are hurt.

Yeah, there's a small amount of women who are so tiny naturally, and they look good the way they do. Others look like they are dying. Either way, not trying to glamorize obesity or anything, but a majority of girls will never be able to stay so skinny comfortably, and it's painful to see them ruin their mental and physical health that way.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 9, 2013 2:53 PM
May 2012
Rood. She has lovely bone structure.
Aug 9, 2013 2:58 PM

Jul 2012
Nika-senpai said:
Yeah, there's a small amount of women who are so tiny naturally, and they look good the way they do. Others look like they are dying. Either way, not trying to glamorize obesity or anything, but a majority of girls will never be able to stay so skinny comfortably, and it's painful to see them ruin their mental and physical health that way.

That's exactly what makes the models such bad role models. It makes people think that anything above stick thin is fat. It's in fact well below what a healthy weight should be. Fortunately at least the illusion isn't as strong as it used to be.
Aug 9, 2013 3:54 PM

Apr 2010
Most models are actually quite unattractive.
Aug 9, 2013 10:33 PM

Dec 2012
role-model

This word = no
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Biggest life hot takes? ( 1 2 )

Rabnawaz2 - Jun 15

75 by LoveYourSmile »»
3 minutes ago

» What type of physical affection do you crave/Fantasize the most about?

Thy-Veseveia - 9 hours ago

7 by Zowabo »»
9 minutes ago

» For the ppl who have cheated in a relationship, was it worth it?

Thy-Veseveia - 9 hours ago

3 by LoveYourSmile »»
26 minutes ago

» Does youtube Shadowban Comments?

Dancewithknives - Jun 13, 2016

11 by rohan121 »»
1 hour ago

» How to improve intelligence

False_Entity - Jun 14

22 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.