Forum Settings
Forums

How do you accept hate for an anime you love?

New
Jul 14, 2013 12:29 PM
Jul 2013
I think this would be a valuable lesson for myself, to better appreciate people as a whole, but to basically sum up my problem in a nutshell. I love Clannad, and since I watched it, it redefined my perspective on what anime I watch. However, even knowing I personally love it, and millions of people do as well, when I see someone angrily criticize it with harsh words, I try to keep a straight face, but I often mildly lose my temper, and try to bite back at the offender.

I really want to change this kind of attitude, but it's a lot more difficult than it would seem, particularly because I have watched so many anime to know what is really good and what is really bad, and when I see someone criticize what I like and know is good, I just get upset (although never to the point of fighting or flaming).

On a lesser note, is there any anime that is universally viewed in such a positive light that any form of hate must be trolling, or do you have to face the fact that under any circumstance, an anime will always have a group of dissenters?
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2013 12:32 PM

Apr 2013
Everything is imperfect. There are serious flaws with every anime, so nothing will please everyone.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Jul 14, 2013 12:33 PM

Oct 2012
It makes my angry and I slit my wrists.
Jul 14, 2013 12:34 PM

Jun 2013
#ignore #the #haters ########
Jul 14, 2013 12:35 PM
Jul 2013
IceColdLemons said:

So you never get upset if you're just strolling and someone begins to attack an anime you hold in high regard? Be honest on how you feel when you're in this situation.

Sep 2011
Everyone has their own opinion so it doesn't bother me. Not even in the slightest. I'm not delusional, I can see flaws even in my favorite anime.

Feb 2013
The more you think about it, the worst it gets. If you happen to read something, just ignore it and think about something else.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 14, 2013 12:38 PM

Sep 2012
It's funny, because then I can point out who has shit taste.
Jul 14, 2013 12:38 PM

Oct 2010
I'm not pleased, obviously. And if the hater actually has elaborated reasons, I think of a way to answer them and discuss.

Other than that it doesn't affect me in more levels. It's not a tragedy.
Jul 14, 2013 12:39 PM

Dec 2012
I would find that person and I would kill him/her.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jul 14, 2013 12:40 PM

Sep 2011
I call them out on their shit taste.
Jul 14, 2013 12:41 PM

Dec 2012
lewlwut said:

On a lesser note, is there any anime that is universally viewed in such a positive light that any form of hate must be trolling, or do you have to face the fact that under any circumstance, an anime will always have a group of dissenters?

Legend of the galactic heroes. Which makes me wonder if that anime is actually good or is the whole thing just a giant conspiracy on MAL or other anime sites.

My favorite anime ( Naruto) is mostly hated on MAL for w/e reason, I rarely see actual criticism of the show. People just seem to agree that it is bad and that's it, all of this is probably due to the fact the Naruto is so popular in the west/rest of the world. I don't get bothered not even a little when someone says something negative about an anime that I like/love.
Jul 14, 2013 12:44 PM

Jun 2013
lewlwut said:
IceColdLemons said:

So you never get upset if you're just strolling and someone begins to attack an anime you hold in high regard? Be honest on how you feel when you're in this situation.

I seriously don't get upset or try to argue with them. I'd probably say "What the hell they have no taste in godly anime", but overall I wouldn't get butthurt and be a bitchy ass fanboy.
Jul 14, 2013 12:45 PM

Oct 2012
Peten00b said:
I would find that person and I would kill him/her.

Zero no Tsukaima is pile of sh*t

Hehehe, you won't find me 8)
Jul 14, 2013 12:45 PM
Mar 2013
By laughing at them. They can spend all the time they want to encourage other people to hate what I like, it's not my loss. I can go ahead and watch more anime.
Jul 14, 2013 12:47 PM

Nov 2011
Use name calling on that person.
The Art of Eight
Jul 14, 2013 12:48 PM

May 2010
As long as they have a reasonable explanation as to why they dislike the show, it doesn't really bother me. If they, however, hate it for no reason or for a completely ridiculous reason (most likely without even giving the show a try), then of course it frustrates me a bit. But there's not really much you can do about it, now is there? I guess you just have to think about something else to get your mind off of it.
Jul 14, 2013 12:52 PM

Oct 2011
Call them a tsundere
Jul 14, 2013 12:54 PM

Aug 2011
Write the hater's name in my death note.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Jul 14, 2013 12:57 PM
Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:
lewlwut said:

Legend of the galactic heroes. Which makes me wonder if that anime is actually good or is the whole thing just a giant conspiracy on MAL or other anime sites.

My favorite anime ( Naruto) is mostly hated on MAL for w/e reason, I rarely see actual criticism of the show. People just seem to agree that it is bad and that's it, all of this is probably due to the fact the Naruto is so popular in the west/rest of the world. I don't get bothered not even a little when someone says something negative about an anime that I like/love.

I wouldn't be so bothered if you didn't call Clannad "a piece of shit", but the main thing is my temper again. I was already bothered by that statement, but when you went on to say Naruto is your favorite, there's this intense urge to just attack you for it, but I am learning to just accept not everyone will like what you like, and there's no changing it.
Jul 14, 2013 12:58 PM

Jul 2013
It doesn't really bother me, as long as they valid issues with show that actually make sense and I can understand. If they're just blindly hating for no apparent reason, it kind of irritates me. It's not really a huge deal though. Everyone likes different stuff.
The problem with the world is that it's always one drink behind.

Apr 2013
Who cares about haters of an anime you enjoy?
What does have to do with your enjoyment?
At what point did you thought posting 3 questions in a row was not a part of my plan?
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me

Jun 2008
I calmly respect opposite opinions until i can find them and torture them to death.

And Clannad is mediocre btw.
Jul 14, 2013 1:00 PM

Jan 2010
I'd just accept it since I know different opinions exist. If it's hate or whatever that I feel is uncalled for or wrong, I'll argue it for a bit, but if the other person doesn't seem like they're willing to take up a different perspective, I'd just say "ah screw it" and leave it at that.
Jul 14, 2013 1:05 PM

May 2013
If I was like that, how do you think I'd feel with all the hate on Sword Art Online?
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 14, 2013 1:08 PM

Sep 2011
Diran-kun said:
If I was like that, how do you think I'd feel with all the hate on Sword Art Online?

Sword Art Online was awesome. Could have been better, but definitely a good watch.
Jul 14, 2013 1:09 PM

Feb 2011
lewlwut said:
IceColdLemons said:

So you never get upset if you're just strolling and someone begins to attack an anime you hold in high regard?

Yup.

People need to learn to have more tolerance in all things life.
Jul 14, 2013 1:09 PM
Jul 2013
I only thought of this, because here's an example of what I thought was wrong, but I couldn't help it. So earlier I was looking for an anime off of Clannad's depth, and it was fine until I saw this guy (he posted on this thread) calling it shit without any reason at first, and when I found out his favorite anime was Naruto, I flipped the pan and began to smoke him over how awful Naruto really is, and he bit back by telling me why Clannad was supposedly bad, but due to the thread derailing, I stopped. Still, I just feel so mad you know? The icing on the shitstorm was when he said Naruto.
Jul 14, 2013 1:10 PM

May 2013
OriginANIME said:
Diran-kun said:

Sword Art Online was awesome. Could have been better, but definitely a good watch.
I know, right? It doesn't deserve nearly as much hate as it gets. There are much worse.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 14, 2013 1:13 PM

Aug 2012
Hate against an anime doesn't really bother me.

Hate against the people watching the anime simply for liking the anime is unacceptable though.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jul 14, 2013 1:14 PM

Apr 2013
Diran-kun said:
OriginANIME said:
Diran-kun said:

I know, right? It doesn't deserve nearly as much hate as it gets. There are much worse.

Fuck the haters , it's simplier . The majority of the haters that you see around got things wrong about the anime or had expectation that doesnt fit the genre the anime is fitting .... dont bother with them . Those who dont like it they simply say why and just simply point out that it isnt theyr thing ....and they are few and rare .
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Jul 14, 2013 1:15 PM

Feb 2011
lewlwut said:
I only thought of this, because here's an example of what I thought was wrong, but I couldn't help it. So earlier I was looking for an anime off of Clannad's depth, and it was fine until I saw this guy (he posted on this thread) calling it shit without any reason at first, and when I found out his favorite anime was Naruto, I flipped the pan and began to smoke him over how awful Naruto really is, and he bit back by telling me why Clannad was supposedly bad, but due to the thread derailing, I stopped. Still, I just feel so mad you know? The icing on the shitstorm was when he said Naruto.

And this is what is wrong with people. You need to mellow out. He shares a different opinion than you. Big deal? You're different people, have gone through different experiences in life, have different preferences, etc. It's nothing to get worked up over. Neither of you is "right" or "wrong." It's merely a matter of preference.

Naruto happens to be one of my favorite anime. I liked Clannad a lot as well (mainly the second season, first was pretty boring for my tastes).

You just need to understand, just because you like X and think Y is shit, it's just your opinion. Why go out of your way to try to "prove" your opinion?

It's the same with religion, for the most part. I don't understand why we have all of these wars over something that can/will most likely never be able to be proven. It's pointless, and stupid. He believes in God, he doesn't. Big deal? Let them believe in whatever they want, assuming they are still following the universal morals/laws every human should follow that keep society in check and with limited (preferably none) chaos.
Jul 14, 2013 1:18 PM

May 2013
BloodyNightsky said:
Diran-kun said:
OriginANIME said:
Diran-kun said:

Fuck the haters , it's simplier . The majority of the haters that you see around got things wrong about the anime or had expectation that doesnt fit the genre the anime is fitting .... dont bother with them . Those who dont like it they simply say why and just simply point out that it isnt theyr thing ....and they are few and rare .
I've also noticed that most the people haven't even watched it and just roll with the crowd.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 14, 2013 1:20 PM
Jul 2013
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:

And this is what is wrong with people. You need to mellow out. He shares a different opinion than you. Big deal? You're different people, have gone through different experiences in life, have different preferences, etc. It's nothing to get worked up over. Neither of you is "right" or "wrong." It's merely a matter of preference.

Naruto happens to be one of my favorite anime. I liked Clannad a lot as well (mainly the second season, first was pretty boring for my tastes).

You just need to understand, just because you like X and think Y is shit, it's just your opinion. Why go out of your way to try to "prove" your opinion?

It's the same with religion, for the most part. I don't understand why we have all of these wars over something that can/will most likely never be able to be proven. It's pointless, and stupid. He believes in God, he doesn't. Big deal? Let them believe in whatever they want, assuming they are still following the universal morals/laws every human should follow that keep society in check and with limited (preferably none) chaos.

Yes I understand. But yet, try to understand what I say here for a moment. Clannad is a series that had already achieved wide acclaim and praise right? And if you like it, you should just understand that it has fans and is a success, and there's nothing more that needs to be said. But when someone comes by and says its bad, no matter how much you try to hide it, you know deep down you're highly upset. It is fueled even more by the fact that he says that he likes an anime you quietly believe to be mediocre.

It makes me sound like a hypocrite too.
Jul 14, 2013 1:20 PM

Jul 2012
lewlwut said:

Ohh you mean this
tsudecimo said:

- Literally the worst character design/art style I've ever seen. Those ugly fucking eyes..
- The main heroine and most of the other characters aside from the MC lacked any sort of actual personality, they were generic one dimensional characters.
- The cast of characters were all annoying and childish for their age especially fuko..
- the insane amount of heavy handed emotional manipulation injected into the show. It sacrifices realism for the sake of invoking more emotions from you with unbelievable and outrageously melodramatic story lines.
- The biggest problem Clannad has in my opinion is in the drama department. All of the drama is so cliche, predictable and melodramatic that you just can't take it seriously.
- The main heroine is the most boring character in the show and I don't even get why they chose to make her the main heroine, she relies for the MC for everything.
- Their relationship lacks any sort of affection, I like the Japanese shyness and what not but come on..
- Tasteless comedy
- It's so predictable
- Deus x machima ending
- etc.
Konbu is important
Jul 14, 2013 1:21 PM

Apr 2009
I don't really mind haters of an anime I like as long as they have valid reasons for hating it. Most things I like aren't everyone's cup of tea anyway. I may argue for a little bit but I'll probably drop it in the end. I really don't like it when the haters hate the anime because of the fandom though...
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
Jul 14, 2013 1:23 PM

Feb 2011
lewlwut said:
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:

Yes I understand. But yet, try to understand what I say here for a moment. Clannad is a series that had already achieved wide acclaim and praise right? And if you like it, you should just understand that it has fans and is a success, and there's nothing more that needs to be said. But when someone comes by and says its bad, no matter how much you try to hide it, you know deep down you're highly upset. It is fueled even more by the fact that he says that he likes an anime you quietly believe to be mediocre.

See, I don't understand that at all, especially when Naruto has achieved a much greater "success" and fanbase. Not that I think that should matter at all. Death Note is my favorite anime, and even if I was the only person in the world that liked it, it would still be my favorite anime.

And no, I'm not deeply upset by someone else opinion. I'm my own person and am fine with my own opinions. I don't need to try to convince others that their opinion is "wrong" when it isn't, because opinions aren't wrong.

He hates your favorite anime. The world still revolves.
Jul 14, 2013 1:27 PM
Jul 2013
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:

See, I don't understand that at all, especially when Naruto has achieved a much greater "success" and fanbase. Not that I think that should matter at all. Death Note is my favorite anime, and even if I was the only person in the world that liked it, it would still be my favorite anime.

And no, I'm not deeply upset by someone else opinion. I'm my own person and am fine with my own opinions. I don't need to try to convince others that their opinion is "wrong" when it isn't, because opinions aren't wrong.

He hates your favorite anime. The world still revolves.

But even if someone hates your favorite anime, can you be satisfied in the thought that there are many people who do like what you like?
Jul 14, 2013 1:30 PM

Feb 2011
lewlwut said:
But even if someone hates your favorite anime, can you be satisfied in the thought that there are many people who do like what you like?

Whether there are many people that like or dislike what I like, it doesn't change what I like. So I would say my satisfaction would be unaffected.
Jul 14, 2013 1:33 PM
Jul 2013
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:

Whether there are many people that like or dislike what I like, it doesn't change what I like. So I would say my satisfaction would be unaffected.

So by that statement, hmmm, if you enjoyed say, Violence Jack, but 100% of everyone else says its shit, it wouldn't bug you?
Jul 14, 2013 1:35 PM

Feb 2011
lewlwut said:
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:

So by that statement, hmmm, if you enjoyed say, Violence Jack, but 100% of everyone else says its shit, it wouldn't bug you?

Correct, which I stated above.

dperolio said:
Death Note is my favorite anime, and even if I was the only person in the world that liked it, it would still be my favorite anime.
Jul 14, 2013 1:36 PM

Dec 2012
I know how you feel OP. All shows have critics and sometimes it's difficult to get a handle of. There are definitely some situations that just can't be salvaged or turned around and while it bothers me a lot, I try to take it as an exercise in self-control which is a great skill to have and will improve you as a person. That doesn't mean you just have to swallow every criticism you come across though.

In my experience, with every anime and video game that I have come to love, at first I always have trouble elaborating on what exactly I thought made that work amazing. For example, when I first watched Madoka Magica I know that I believed it was great but couldn't explain why. Early on, when I ran into criticism of the show my first reaction was usually annoyance and anger, as it was with all my other favorites during that early stage. But it doesn't have to be that way. I remember reading the post of one critic that asked what exactly was so good about the show, and while I was frustrated and couldn't think of anything at first, I thought it was a good question and that was what really got me started on thinking of real reasons to justify how I felt. And once you start reacting to criticism in this way, with some careful thought and analysis, you start to become able to really defend the shows that you like, and if you do this frequently you will get better over time. If you want to get really good at doing this, you should also try to anticipate the counter-arguments that another person would use and then find counter-arguments for those (this also has the interesting side-effect of making you a bit more objective in your thinking).

I know that a lot of people advocate a "don't care" policy when it comes to debating about anime and the like. But I think if you really believe in the quality of a show, arguing in its favor is a good thing, especially if you approach with careful thought. When you think and come up with good reasons for why you like a show it allows you to appreciate that anime more, and approaching adversity with an earnest attitude will make you better.
Jul 14, 2013 1:38 PM
May 2010
Accept the fact that not everybody has good taste in anime like I do.
Jul 14, 2013 1:38 PM

Apr 2013
lewlwut said:
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:

I think your worries about this fits your age or you're too influenceable . My favorite character receive alot of hate , do you see me being bothered?
Nope , I'm just gonna bully them . Most of the haters are easy targets and those who dislike an anime or whatever about an anime are just too mature to "hate" a character without understanding it .
Besides , alot of people cant detect sarcasm even if you make it so obvious and shove it in theyr eyes .
Jul 14, 2013 1:41 PM
Mar 2013
lewlwut said:
IceColdLemons said:

I know I don't care. Everyone has different opinions on things. I love Fairy Tail but I see all kinds of bashing for it. I understand it's not for everybody so I don't get bothered when people hate on it.
Jul 14, 2013 1:42 PM
Jul 2013
BloodyNightsky said:
lewlwut said:
dperolio said:
lewlwut said:

I think your worries about this fits your age or you're too influenceable . My favorite character receive alot of hate , do you see me being bothered?
Nope , I'm just gonna bully them . Most of the haters are easy targets and those who dislike an anime or whatever about an anime are just too mature to "hate" a character without understanding it .
Besides , alot of people cant detect sarcasm even if you make it so obvious and shove it in theyr eyes .

Also on another important note, if someone did attack Clannad, but he liked Naruto, do you think it's wrong for me to begin lashing out at Naruto? Should I just keep it myself or write paragraphs of why Naruto is shit while cursing him.
Jul 14, 2013 1:42 PM

Jan 2011
i dont care lol, sometimes i do argue about my fav anime flaws but only when i think that whoever is hating on it has valid reasons for doing so
like in LoGH, the portrayal of religion is pretty bad compared to the other 2 sides of the conflict, an i agree with that complain but sometimes other people teel me that it sucks cause it has 80s animation an thats just stupid reason to hate on a show
sometimes other people have told me that my fav anime Lost Canvas Meiou Shinwa sucks cause is a shonen an thats just a retarded complain, i wont bother to discuss in those cases
Jul 14, 2013 1:44 PM

Apr 2013
If you want to annoy him that much ........ make a laugh of things he likes about the anime or just laugh at his anime , regardless if it is relevant , just turn child mode on and see how easy is to annoy him .

At the beginning of my journey in MAL world I had the intention to "taste" the anime of others even if they hate my tastes to see why they hate my tastes .
But after a while I saw that the understanding I try is just one-sided but I'll pick anime shows from theyr list and rate them regardless .
FluffyFleshJul 14, 2013 1:50 PM
Jul 14, 2013 1:51 PM

Dec 2012
As someone whose worked in a customer service job, I just accept that some people are just batshit crazy, ignorant, imbeciles and move on since only their psychologist is qualified to cure them.
KruszerJul 14, 2013 1:55 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 14, 2013 1:51 PM

Apr 2011
I usually don't care, and I have different taste then what seems to be the most popular at the moment. So I dislike what most people seem to like anyways. I get salty sometimes when people will bash something I really liked without much more reasoning then "it was dumb,slow, and boring". I see that a lot. The might as well say "I couldn't masturbate to the characters, there was no explosions or fan service, and they talk too much".

I also dislike how popular sites like 4chan and Reddit often start the bandwagons, which just lets all the dumb people who can't form their own opinions repeat the opinion of a few other popular users.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - Yesterday

14 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Most Overrated Characters in the Top 50?

SamDaniel - Aug 3, 2021

47 by Serafos »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime ratings on MAL vs IMDB

Unalina - Nov 17, 2020

28 by Serafos »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Yesterday

59 by ShatteredSans »»
29 minutes ago

» Why do you think about Orihime from Bleach?

isolated-otaku - Jun 14

38 by Pages_Pages »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.