Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 6, 2009 7:35 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
holy crap wasnt expecting that ending...

series was ok but nothing special, except for the ending maybe.

Mar 25, 2009 11:13 PM

Jul 2007
What the hell happened? Now I'm going to have to think this over...
Apr 4, 2009 8:37 PM

Jan 2009
I thought it was a really interesting series. The ending just kinda annoyed me though ... everyone dyeing and we were left hanging :( But it was still quite good. At least there was finally a kiss from the professor!!
May 8, 2009 12:57 PM
Jan 2009
kalgeo said:
I thought it was a really interesting series. The ending just kinda annoyed me though ... everyone dyeing and we were left hanging :( But it was still quite good. At least there was finally a kiss from the professor!!

You were annoyed, because nobody really want to accept, that the a serie could end so harsh and - that is of course my own oppinion - because you do not want to accept that there are no bad or good things in that end. There is simply nothing. Quite nihilistic of course, but this was issued by the authors who write that ending, in fact sometimes you can expect it before, that this one will not be like the "others". This doesnt make it better or can apologize the growing madness inside of most viewers while they look this ending.

One thing, the writer do not want to save you, or cheer you up. He just want to tell us a story, maybe not even that.
CrytashJun 1, 2009 8:07 AM
Jun 21, 2009 6:35 PM

Jun 2009
I have to agree with you I was broken at the end of this anime i finished watching it and it was just a hush lol my roommate is watching it now i feel like there should be more but the ending was perfect one of a kind i feel
Bravo gilgamesh
Bravo!
Aug 1, 2009 2:09 PM

Jul 2009
Damn Why did everybody have to die?!? WTF I Actually shed Some Tears But other than that i enjoyed the series
Aug 27, 2009 11:14 PM
Aug 2009
I feel like this series kinda got slow around epiosode 15 or so....i dont know, it just didnt really do any for me. the ending was actually kinda surprising to me cause i thought everything was gonna turn out like a "happy ending" and everbody would continue on with thier happy lives...but ummmm that didnt happen

also, i think episode 2 had more enjoyable action in it than the ending
Sep 2, 2009 1:36 PM

Jan 2008
epic anime. one of my favorites and the ending was awesome. everyone died (: .
this definitely was something different and i enjoyed it all, the environment is almost unique, as well as the ending.

Oct 9, 2009 2:03 PM

May 2008
The ending was unexpected and quite enjoyable. I really liked the piano music in this episode.
Kyomu9Oct 9, 2009 2:07 PM
Nov 17, 2009 9:00 PM
Nov 2007
What does it all mean?
Nov 24, 2009 7:24 PM

Apr 2008
i have to say this anime still sticks out for me, the ending was just done proper. it ended the way we all want them to end. when i finished it and didnt see a topic i was surprised.

Jan 28, 2010 7:06 PM

Apr 2009
what happen at the ending? Why did she stabbed her with the tuning fork? hahah
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2010 4:56 PM

Oct 2008
so who the hell were the good / bad guys?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_49H_N43jQ

#MakeAnimeGreatAgain

SAY NO MORE LOLI! BRING MORE GENRES EVERY SEASON THAN JUST LOLI
Feb 4, 2010 5:33 PM

Jan 2009
So does anyone know what the little girl (Tear) said to her at the end be4 she got stabbed? Okasan?? Gomenasai?? i coudn't make it out.
Feb 8, 2010 11:07 AM
Oct 2009
Maximilious said:
so who the hell were the good / bad guys?

Neither side was good or bad. Both sides thought that what they where doing was the best thing for the world.

The Gilgamesh wanted to cleanse it and start a new human race free of the negative qualities harbored by the current one.

The countess just wanted answers.

Hayato Kazmatsuri wanted to stop the Gilgamesh from destroying the world and save what was left of humanity.

In the end everyone lost because Kiyoko murders tear 20 seconds after her rebirth and taints the new human race forever.
Mar 4, 2010 10:38 PM
Feb 2008
After finishing Gundam 00 I remembered this series. Why don't bad guys wanting to change humanity or whatever just leave that stuff to evolution? Nature has worked for BILLIONS of years (that we know of) doing just fine in shaping and changing life.
May 23, 2010 1:46 PM
Jan 2009
like most people i really did not expect that ending. i feel like it pissed a lot of people off, b/c there was no clear winner and like someone said, nothingness was the result of it all. i do love how the attempts to make a pure race failed, as the first thing that the new race does is murder! ironic!!!

what i don't get is, was that really Kiyoko at the end or her daughter? what was the last words that TEAR said before she was killed? and is her last words the reason she got stabbed? so many unanswered questions! guess it makes it better, leaves it to the imagination
Jun 12, 2010 12:20 AM
Feb 2010
alright.. i gotta know.. what the fuck was up with that ending? i mean i know it was supposed to be a really gloomy anime, but really? everyone dies and the world enters a new era.. what the hell is that all about? dont get me wrong i mean i absolutely loved the anime but i despise the way that they decided to end it, working up all that way in the plot just to have the originals show up and kill every one... im sorry but they could've done much better than that... 6 out of 10
Jul 13, 2010 6:19 AM

Jan 2010
awesome ending!

It's was very sad, especially when all die.

It have very similar points with NGE, I think it is a little based in it.

I never expected this end, especially the final scene, where shows which Enkidu did, did not changed nothing.

Humans still imperfect, and not purified and that cannot be changed, leaving it to God.

Well it's just my way to see what happed, just after watch it.

Loved the series and seems underrated to me.
Sep 7, 2010 10:37 AM

Apr 2009
the end is pretty amazing,also reminded me of evangelion in some points like have said. with the use of longinus symbolism and other religious/mythical themes.
Too bad the animation and design is kinda let down
Nov 5, 2010 11:50 AM
Sep 2009
the ending is what really made the series for me. Instead of doing the traditional happy ending good guys win ending, they go spend all that time developing the main characters and then poof, theyre all dead. Absolutely brilliant.
Nov 26, 2010 6:04 AM

Aug 2009
O hate endings like this. I really enjoyed the anime all the way up til everyone was killed.Because then it seemed like what was the point in watching it if everyone died.
Jan 4, 2011 4:53 PM
Jan 2011
I hated it, just as I hate my life. But there are good things in life too. So I loved it as well. It was just as I had expected, all went down in a big finallie. Like a classical concert. If the world was ending, I would like to have classical music in my ears not water. I really wanned a happy end. And that was what made the story 10/10. This world tears you apart, and you crave for a happy end. And at some points your almost there. It's right in your arms. But at the end ... it's just IT nothing else. There is nothing else, no painless death, nothing alive that wants to die either. But at the end that is the last thing that you will do, and so we all will.
And the after ending is really much more then a happy end. It shows how actually the hybrid kills the old god Tier. And that something new even more powerful have appeared throw all that pain and love. I also loved the idea that the newborn will use the lucky charm of it's mother. That tool of her dreams. The instrument that is the director of every piano at the world for they all should sound the same with it's help. And that very same item gave the new world a chance to go it's own way.
I actually changed my mind, this really is a happy end. But you have to get to a very sick perspective view of our world, so that you could be able to see it for yourself.
Feb 22, 2011 5:17 PM
Dec 2007
I liked that it wasn't what I expected, but I didn't feel entirely satisfied with it either. I felt the rest of the series was better than the ending.
<|[[[[{
Apr 17, 2011 12:12 PM

Apr 2011
Sometimes, as a joke, someone will tell a spoiler by saying "everyone dies." Apparently in this it was no joke. It might be that I'm a sucker for happy endings, but this just left completely unsatisfied. I was enjoying the series up until the last episode. I guess I'm glad the some people liked the ending.
Jul 18, 2011 3:25 PM

Mar 2010
After all those fights, suddenly everyone just dies so easily
Aug 1, 2011 6:28 PM
Feb 2010
Unusual, interesting....gave me something to ponder about for a couple of hours....
Sep 3, 2011 3:22 AM
Apr 2011
Twisted!!! Through out this whole anime my feeling were confused about it...i kinda was routing for Gilgamesh up to a point where they killed that dude/ girl( cant remember the name)....but the considering everything that happened it wasnt as satisfying as i hoped it would be...but ohh well it was keeping me entertained =)
Jul 25, 2012 11:54 PM

Dec 2008
The animation and character design was so bad that I wanted to die, but the actual story saved my life.

If Tear would have taken the form of Novem or Tatsuya, she probably wouldn't have been slaughtered and this new species would have lived on and been able to evolve.
Aug 6, 2012 7:53 PM

Apr 2010
...............................wtf.....................what happened!!! waz with the killing your child ending???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!
"Do not consider yourself deprived because your dreams were not fulfilled; the truly deprived have never dreams."
-Marie von Ebner
Apr 7, 2013 10:36 AM

May 2012
Even the last episode was pretty boring just like the rest of the anime! The whole setting is just boring as hell! Because of the Atmosphere i tried to believe in this anime that it could improve but in the end it did not…

Other than the very slight development per episode and the random action that used to make it look a bit realistic still failed in the end to make it actual look interesting…

In the end the action was pretty decent and the final climax was there but the buildup towards the end was pretty lousy done…

The concept of the anime was pretty interesting and that's why I also started watching this anime but well it really disappointed me with bad development and the boring setting! 3/10
May 1, 2013 10:10 AM

Feb 2008
For a moment there I thought Tomino directed this episode, with all that slaughter and all...
Anyway, show was too slow paced for my liking.
6/10
May 22, 2013 1:41 PM

Jun 2009
I'm not sure I get that Kyoko sequence in the end though. I would sort have been perfectly content with the final kiss and the deluge in the end.
As if they felt the need to include a Kyoko final twist in it!?! I'll overlook this when scoring this otherwise perfect anime.
Jul 5, 2013 8:28 AM

Jun 2010
So here's what I got-

Tear, born of jealousy in the womb of Heaven's Gate, possessed Madoka and blew up Heaven's Gate, creating a shell of sorts to protect the next step of human evolution that it intended inhabit the planet- the baby Kiyoko was carrying. Tear's plan is a success, the mirror-sky comes down and humanity is no more. It's not Kiyoko who meets Tear, but Kiyoko's 'baby'. When Tear approaches her with the intention of starting a new race to toy with she rejects her, killing her with Kiyoko's tuning fork and smiling manically, perhaps taking pleasure in exacting revenge for all the suffering that Tear caused. But by taking revenge in this way we see that the new perfect race will be no different from the old race. Perfection cannot be attained and the cycle begins again. No one wins.

How delightfully nihilistic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2014 1:46 PM

Jul 2013
I too would like to know what was said at the end that we didn't hear, the same happened at the end of the last one.

Maybe it was the secret to eternal life.

I loved the anime and art style. I wasn't really expecting that ending though. I thought it was great.

Tear to be The Countess's heart, that was a stroke of pure genius but everyone dying after all that was kinda sad, I was really routing for the children the whole show. It saddened me.

Then Kiyoko or her baby stabbing Tear at the end, I knew there was going to be something that happened after the end credits, that was great. A slightly terrifying image really.
Apr 11, 2014 9:35 PM

Nov 2011
Fuck that ending
Idk why but this series took me a lot longer for me to complete than usual. I guess I was reading more manga than I had expected rather than the usual marathon Still, I wasn't too fond of this show overall although I liked the premise of it.

This is a pretty good post to sum up this finale imo:
SpookyWasabi said:
So here's what I got-

Tear, born of jealousy in the womb of Heaven's Gate, possessed Madoka and blew up Heaven's Gate, creating a shell of sorts to protect the next step of human evolution that it intended inhabit the planet- the baby Kiyoko was carrying. Tear's plan is a success, the mirror-sky comes down and humanity is no more. It's not Kiyoko who meets Tear, but Kiyoko's 'baby'. When Tear approaches her with the intention of starting a new race to toy with she rejects her, killing her with Kiyoko's tuning fork and smiling manically, perhaps taking pleasure in exacting revenge for all the suffering that Tear caused. But by taking revenge in this way we see that the new perfect race will be no different from the old race. Perfection cannot be attained and the cycle begins again. No one wins.

How delightfully nihilistic.
Apr 22, 2015 7:12 PM

Apr 2012
I liked the last 30 seconds more than 90% of the show. I barely even remember much of what happened in the last 20 episodes.

Funny they ended with a Lance of Longinus, this really was a poorly fleshed-out lift off (the themes) of Evangelion.

Hey, I forgot I said this on Episode 4
Blackouting said:
I wanna say [the Countess] is Ishtar [~Tear?] but heck who knows

I think she was!(?) Shows what a badly written show this was as I bet no-one remembers any of the vague mythology they threw in along the way. Thinking about any of it just makes a nonsense of everything. Gilgamesh was looking for his friend Enkidu or something?

Take away the myths and you just have a lot of sullen teens (+milf) sitting around frowning ominously for the duration of 26 episodes.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishtar#Ishtar_in_the_Epic_of_Gilgamesh)
BlackoutingApr 22, 2015 7:56 PM
Jul 10, 2015 2:41 AM

Aug 2010
I don't get why Kyoko's child stabbed Tear. What did Tear say in the last 30 seconds?
I am not really a fan of "everyone dies ending."

6/10 for me
Aug 4, 2015 4:37 AM
Aug 2012
Mostly agree with all that nihilistic opinions, they tried as they might but still failed in the and because world couldn't exict only from good people,it demands rotten ones to feel that superior forms are existing. Sad fact but humanity can't be changed that easily by simple cleansing flood.
Sep 8, 2015 6:48 AM
Mar 2015
Does have anyone maybe some HD wallpaper from Gilgamesh?
I can't find any on internet, thats sad, one from my favourites animes :C
May 16, 2017 9:17 PM
Jul 2014
My eyes almost pooped out of my sockets at this episode. Bravo Bravo, i expected absolute shit from this one when i picked it up, but damn if this wasn't a ride of feels, i didn't experience such a wild ride of emotions and was so attached to the chars since Eva, bravo 10/10.

Aug 22, 2017 10:47 PM

May 2015
What an awesome anime, loved the crushing depressing vibe throughout this anime and the lighter moments within it. Ending was perfect, would like to know what tear said at the end though.
Aug 31, 2017 10:16 PM
Jan 2009
LucWarm said:
Crytash said:

You were annoyed, because nobody really want to accept, that the a serie could end so harsh and - that is of course my own oppinion - because you do not want to accept that there are no bad or good things in that end. There is simply nothing. Quite nihilistic of course, but this was issued by the authors who write that ending, in fact sometimes you can expect it before, that this one will not be like the "others". This doesnt make it better or can apologize the growing madness inside of most viewers while they look this ending.

One thing, the writer do not want to save you, or cheer you up. He just want to tell us a story, maybe not even that.

NOPE. Someone just forgot to add tragedy to the genre list for Gilgamesh. You can tell by the poll and comments that a lot of people got trapped into watching this show. I was also annoyed. I did NOT want to watch a tragedy tonight, was not expecting that ending at all.

Maybe you are right. It is difficult for me to say otherwise. Personally i don't research too much before i watch something, as it can spoil my viewing experience.
Sep 1, 2017 7:31 AM
Jan 2009
LucWarm said:
Crytash said:

Maybe you are right. It is difficult for me to say otherwise. Personally i don't research too much before i watch something, as it can spoil my viewing experience.

See. That's the current issue on MAL. (not trying to attack you) People don't know what a tragedy is nor do they know what the difference is between a drama. EX people almost always association tragedy as if everyone is going to die in the end which is not always true. So if you don't know what will happen in the end, then nothing is spoiled.

I see where you are coming from, but your argument won't solve the problem, nor does it change this particular piece of culture we are talking about.

There are art pieces, that truly benefit from research. I don't think that Gilgamesh would.

It believe, that even if you would have inserted tragedy as a genre it would not satisfy those, who disliked the ending. As a matter of fact, i still believe what i wrote 8 years ago. I think that people dislike it, because it portraits a form of nihilism, that you won't find often in Anime.
Sep 1, 2017 8:48 AM
Jan 2009
LucWarm said:
Crytash said:

I see where you are coming from, but your argument won't solve the problem, nor does it change this particular piece of culture we are talking about.

There are art pieces, that truly benefit from research. I don't think that Gilgamesh would.

It believe, that even if you would have inserted tragedy as a genre it would not satisfy those, who disliked the ending. As a matter of fact, i still believe what i wrote 8 years ago. I think that people dislike it, because it portraits a form of nihilism, that you won't find often in Anime.

I actually agree with you on the nihilism part. The anime rotates around the "all humans are evil and should all die" talk which in truth is really a dull witted theme, to begin with, because if not done right.... You get Gilgamesh. I think Gilgamesh was too serious with it all.

If the tragedy genre was added or not and if it could make a difference, in general, is just speculation on my part. But I do believe the tragedy genre should be added to MAL.

Maybe it has too much Pathos... i need to rewatch it to make a call on that. When i saw it, i felt it was mostly the logical conclusion of the topic. Satisfaction was not necessary.
Dec 9, 2017 3:59 PM

Jul 2011
RafaelDeJongh said:
Even the last episode was pretty boring just like the rest of the anime! The whole setting is just boring as hell! Because of the Atmosphere i tried to believe in this anime that it could improve but in the end it did not…

Other than the very slight development per episode and the random action that used to make it look a bit realistic still failed in the end to make it actual look interesting…

In the end the action was pretty decent and the final climax was there but the buildup towards the end was pretty lousy done…

The concept of the anime was pretty interesting and that's why I also started watching this anime but well it really disappointed me with bad development and the boring setting! 3/10

Agree to every word.
Well, I even had no expectations of improving something after around ep 4-5..

3/10 as well.
Jun 17, 2021 11:52 AM

Jun 2019
My 66th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Jul 21, 2021 2:08 PM
Mar 2008
LoL the worst ending i have seen in me life. It is clear that the author was the epitome of the midwit meme :). So some retard dislike muh human suffering and wants to fix the world by destroying everything lol. It is one of the worst pretentious vomits i have see in any sort of entertainment. The show was ok,but the ending really lower the anime to 4/10,i really feel like wasting me time after finishing,should have watched the last episode before watching the whole anime. Hope that the author decide to lead by example and go show us how good it will be without humanity :).
Aug 19, 2022 2:04 AM

Oct 2010
I get all the cleansing flood idea but what the hell happened in the end with kiyoko stabbing tear, can tear even die that easily? does tear even has blood? very entertaining anime overall, I liked it
Aug 27, 2022 7:14 AM

Jul 2021
Get rekt tear!
Overall it was an enjoyable show despite being extremely ugly, the characters carried it, but I'm not sure if I like the ending...
Catalano said:
I get all the cleansing flood idea but what the hell happened in the end with kiyoko stabbing tear, can tear even die that easily? does tear even has blood? very entertaining anime overall, I liked it

Oh hello there, watched it after your recommendation.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Great or Horrible

magnus - Nov 15, 2007

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:36 PM

Poll: » Gilgamesh Episode 1 Discussion

DaBigD - Jan 2, 2009

26 by koji_K »»
May 21, 2023 2:15 PM

Poll: » Gilgamesh Episode 25 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Apr 7, 2013

5 by Dawizz »»
Oct 26, 2022 12:41 PM

Poll: » Gilgamesh Episode 20 Discussion

6 by Inexplicable »»
Aug 31, 2022 4:38 AM

Poll: » Gilgamesh Episode 11 Discussion

6 by Inexplicable »»
Aug 30, 2022 1:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.