Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2012 7:42 PM

Jul 2012
I realize that those that collect anime primarily only buy those series they know they like which is indeed wise. But have you guys ever bought a certain series and regretted doing so? Perhaps it was an impulse buy or for whatever reason.

My biggest regret was having bought Outlaw Star, I knew I didn't like it and so I pretty much forced myself to pick it up and finish it. As expected it just wasn't my type of anime and I almost instantly regretted buying it.

What's your story?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 25, 2012 7:43 PM

Jul 2012
Elfen Lied. I bought it to feel nostalgic about watching the series then realized later how terrible the series was.
Jul 25, 2012 7:51 PM

Jul 2012
I bought that series and watched it and enjoyed it immensely but I haven't wanted to watch it again because I don't think I'll feel the same way the first time I saw it.
Jul 25, 2012 7:53 PM

Aug 2011
I only buy shows that I've enjoyed, anime is too expensive to make blind purchases.
Jul 25, 2012 7:58 PM
Sep 2011
First squad... Dear god.
Jul 25, 2012 8:20 PM

Jul 2012
Berlioz07 said:
I bought that series and watched it and enjoyed it immensely but I haven't wanted to watch it again because I don't think I'll feel the same way the first time I saw it.

Yeah, the shock value wears off after a while, trust me. It's enjoyable the first time around, though.
Jul 25, 2012 8:25 PM

Jul 2012
Pre-Paid_Debit said:
First squad... Dear god.

A friend of mine also told me the same thing, is it that bad?
Jul 25, 2012 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
mitch3315 said:
I only buy shows that I've enjoyed, anime is too expensive to make blind purchases.

I agree with you, my collection only contains my absolute favorite shows. Once in a while though I'll see something that catches my attention especially in used DVD shops so I'll give it a shot since their usually at a discounted price. Other times I take advantage of online sales and pick up series I've been considering.
Jul 25, 2012 8:34 PM

Mar 2012
Buying 6 dvds of Sister Princess. Oh my goodness that was such a mistake. One of the dumbest animes I've ever seen. x__x
Jul 25, 2012 8:36 PM

Jun 2011
I once bought a volume of Dragon Ball Z.

I wasn't even into the show.
Jul 25, 2012 8:43 PM

Jan 2012
im such a huge anime fan and yet when i look around my room, i have none... :(
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU

Jul 2012
Mechatastical said:
Buying 6 dvds of Sister Princess. Oh my goodness that was such a mistake. One of the dumbest animes I've ever seen. x__x

Oh lord no that's such a crappy series

FastWheels said:
I once bought a volume of Dragon Ball Z.

I wasn't even into the show.

As much as I would like to collect this series there's just too much of it for me to be interested.

Jun 2009
mitch3315 said:
Sometimes by my home, they have bargain brand anime which is older used anime. I have made a few bad choices doing that, luckily it does not cost me much

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 25, 2012 9:52 PM

May 2011
The only show I've regretted purchasing so far is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, and not because I hated it (in fact I really enjoy that series). Mainly because I had no idea what it was like buying an anime from iTunes, and I quickly found out that there was no option for japanese + english subtitles. It is also one of the worst dubs to ever be stuck with. (unfortunately I bought Princess Jellyfish from there as well, but haven't gotten around to watching it so I have no idea if the dub is bad or not).
Jul 25, 2012 10:28 PM

Aug 2007
beck, gokusen, DNangel, and gantz. maybe ergo proxy. not sure because i havent watched all of it yet. never finished beck either, but that show was really annoying.
Jul 25, 2012 10:49 PM

Jul 2012
Kemmi said:
The only show I've regretted purchasing so far is Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai, and not because I hated it (in fact I really enjoy that series). Mainly because I had no idea what it was like buying an anime from iTunes, and I quickly found out that there was no option for japanese + english subtitles. It is also one of the worst dubs to ever be stuck with. (unfortunately I bought Princess Jellyfish from there as well, but haven't gotten around to watching it so I have no idea if the dub is bad or not).

That's unfortunate I have to agree that the dub for the series is rather crappy.
Jul 25, 2012 11:18 PM

Jan 2012
My first and only anime I've ever bought = Hikaru no Go about 8 years ago xD

I kind of regret it because I never rewatch any anime, let alone tv shows and movies.

Haven't touched it since then, but I still have it :D
Jul 26, 2012 12:01 AM

Jul 2012
mitch3315 said:

I realized this after I bought that tragedy Air Gear.
Jul 26, 2012 6:09 AM

May 2010
From those I can think of, those I regretted purchasing are...

-DBZ
-Inuyasha
-Gundam SEED

I was able to sell off the DVD's I had for 2 of the series I listed and got DVD's of shows I did like and with the other I gave it to someone who wanted it.
Jul 26, 2012 6:27 AM

Jun 2011
Oh man, so many:

Orphen
Magic Knight Rayearth
Arjuna
Scrapped Princess
Ghost Hunt
ROD the TV

Most of these were on super sale at TRSI so I got them cheap but I still regret them and many others I can't recall right now.
Jul 26, 2012 6:34 AM

Sep 2010
- Mirage of Blaze- shitty and confusing BL anime about war lords being reincarnated into a highschool kid, a woman, and some other guy. wtf?

- Final Fantasy: The Spirits within (bought this on VHS years ago cause I was a FF fanatic. It is not part of the FF franchise I refuse to accept it as such it was a retarded sci-fi movie I wasted $7~$10 on. >_>

I think that is it I usually blind buy cheap boxsets and hope its good. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 26, 2012 8:11 AM
Jul 2012
Never made a purchase I regret... because I don't buy anime.
Jul 26, 2012 8:20 AM

Feb 2012
I own a Peacemaker DVD-box. It was from a time when I thought owning boxes is cool and I took priority in purchasing something I haven't seen yet.
Jul 26, 2012 8:40 AM

Oct 2010
Nothing! I don't buy anything without looking into it.
Jul 26, 2012 9:00 AM

Jun 2012
Duncaaaaaan said:

This, i live a life with no regrets.
Jul 26, 2012 9:01 AM

Apr 2012
Shuhan said:
Duncaaaaaan said:

Pretty much this.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Jul 26, 2012 9:31 AM

Jul 2012
Roloko said:
- Mirage of Blaze- shitty and confusing BL anime about war lords being reincarnated into a highschool kid, a woman, and some other guy. wtf?

- Final Fantasy: The Spirits within (bought this on VHS years ago cause I was a FF fanatic. It is not part of the FF franchise I refuse to accept it as such it was a retarded sci-fi movie I wasted $7~$10 on. >_>

I think that is it I usually blind buy cheap boxsets and hope its good. xD

I remember thinking about buying Mirage of Blaze because I had found it cheap, I'm glad I never did as I later watched it and found it to be crap.
Jul 26, 2012 9:56 AM
Feb 2011
Angel Beats
­
Jul 26, 2012 9:57 AM
Mar 2010
Final Fantasy Unlimited
Ep 1-12 or 16 I think. After that I just DLed the rest >_>
Jul 26, 2012 9:57 AM

Jul 2012
RikaFurude said:
Angel Beats

I actually really enjoyed this series but I don't think I would buy it or watch it again for that matter.
Jul 26, 2012 9:59 AM

Jul 2010
RikaFurude said:
Angel Beats
so glad i canceled my amazon order.
Berlioz07 said:
RikaFurude said:
Angel Beats

I actually really enjoyed this series but I don't think I would buy it or watch it again for that matter.
watching it again is a different story. :P

Jul 26, 2012 10:01 AM

Feb 2010
Shuhan said:
Duncaaaaaan said:

You forgot to say Unlimited Blade Works.

Anyway, I regret not buying Clannad sooner. And I'm about to regret not buying the Madoka LEs because I really want those, well, extras.
Jul 26, 2012 10:02 AM

Jul 2012
Akito_Kinomoto said:
Shuhan said:
Duncaaaaaan said:

You forgot to say Unlimited Blade Works.

Anyway, I regret not buying Clannad sooner. And I'm about to regret not buying the Madoka LEs because I really want those, well, extras.

I'm not too much of a fan of premium editions of anime but I gotta admit, those Madoka collections really catch my attention.
Jul 26, 2012 10:42 AM

Dec 2011
I've never regretted anything I bought. Even if I never get round to watching something I don't regret it. Even if I were to watch something and find I hated it I still wouldn't regret it - even if I really disliked it so much thatI would sell it on (as it wouldn't deserve its place in my collection) I would have no regrets of having bought it in the first place.

The only situation I can see myself regretting something is if I buy the first part of a series and then later parts of the same series never get released for some reason.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 26, 2012 12:44 PM

Jul 2008
Konata nendoroid, I don't know why that one sucks so much compared to the other nendoroids I have, maybe I just don't like her anymore. I don't buy a whole lot of dvds some but not much.
Jul 26, 2012 12:54 PM

Jun 2012
Roloko said:

Was it the OVAs or the TV Series?

My only regret has been buying Bio Hunter and maybe Plastic Little.
Jul 26, 2012 12:56 PM

Aug 2011
I accidently bought a volume of Gurren Lagann that had no english dub option, which is fine by me because I love the series, it's just that I bought it to watch it with my older sister who now won't watch it because it isn't english.
i hope your favourite anime gets a CG sequel
Jul 26, 2012 3:00 PM

May 2010
Witchblade complete set- I could never find the whole show online, so I bought it and started from the beginning again. The ending was horrible, predictable, and just down right lame. Waste of $40.

Other than that, I love all of my anime DVDs.
Jul 26, 2012 3:04 PM

Jul 2012
lime93 said:
Witchblade complete set- I could never find the whole show online, so I bought it and started from the beginning again. The ending was horrible, predictable, and just down right lame. Waste of $40.

Other than that, I love all of my anime DVDs.

That's a shame, I was actually considering picking it up.
Jul 26, 2012 3:17 PM

Jul 2012
Welcome To NHK.It's not that I don't like it,but I barely watch it.22 dollars wasted for something I haven't finished since I bought it,which is 1 month ago
Jul 26, 2012 3:24 PM

Jul 2012
Haspinwal said:
Welcome To NHK.It's not that I don't like it,but I barely watch it.22 dollars wasted for something I haven't finished since I bought it,which is 1 month ago

This was a series that even though I really liked a lot I don't think I would ever buy. Nothing against it but it just doesn't catch my attention enough to buy it despite liking it a lot.
Jul 26, 2012 4:01 PM

Mar 2012
Bleach Season 1. It was dirt cheap at only $20 for 20 episodes but I found out that the show wasn't even as good as the aforementioned dirt. I tried to convince myself that I liked the show because the DVDs were cheap but at the end of episode 20 I couldn't deny how boring it was. I decided to return the DVD the next day. One of the funniest parts was when my Dad commented on how boring the show was. And I couldn't have agreed more.

I also regretted purchasing Fairy Tail collection 1. It' not that I didn't like the show, it's just that I put off buying a Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood DVD so I could buy it. I now have both DVDs though so it doesn't really matter any more

I also regret buying the entire collection of Clannad. $75 for an average Highschool melodrama and a pretty box was not a wise purchase. Luckily I was able to find After Story for a pretty good price.

SeibaaHomuJul 26, 2012 4:21 PM
Jul 26, 2012 4:19 PM

Feb 2010
Inuyasha, only because I thought season 1 was decent and that the series would go up from there. Foolish mistake. Good thing I was able to sell the DVDs back.

But I barely buy anime anymore. I only invest in the ones I know and love and will watch more than once. I have the Viridian FMA collection and the YYH blurays, and I treasure them to bits.
Jul 26, 2012 4:20 PM

Mar 2009
Almost all of it. Can't even remember what I have.. Eyeshield 21 I guess. The anime was a letdown compared to the manga.
Jul 26, 2012 5:04 PM
Sep 2009
Broken Blade is looking like a waste of 50 bucks...
Jul 26, 2012 5:15 PM

Mar 2012
None, The only Anime I've brought on DVD and/or Blu-ray was Kuroshitsuji (Both Seasons) and I love the series! Besides I don't buy anything on DVD unless I know I like it and would enjoy watching it over and over :P
Jul 26, 2012 7:40 PM

Jul 2012
EtherealPants said:

Gotta agree here, I love mecha and the manga of Broken Blade and so I was excited to buy it but after seeing it all I regret getting it. Still a good series but not at all worth buying.
Jul 26, 2012 7:53 PM

Jul 2011
My unopened Corpse Princess is just gathering dust in my drawer for over 2 years now..
Jul 26, 2012 8:05 PM

Feb 2012
Vampire Hunter D, lol. Man that was so bad.
It was $2 dollars though, so i don't really mind being stuck with it.

And all the Naruto Box Sets i have. I realized i will never want to re-watch this series. Maybe the movies, but not the series.

EtherealPants said:
I'm watching that now from a DVD set borrowed from my library. Good thing too, otherwise i would have bought it on Amazon and your comment might have made me regret it. Only seen the first episode and it doesn't seem bad, although the English voice actors are pretty off.
Jul 26, 2012 8:07 PM

Mar 2012
Redline.

Don't worry, that was a joke.
I've yet to regret any of my obscenely-priced purchases. I probably would regret buying Dragon Half if it was more than the $3 or so I paid for it (including shipping).
Meanwhile, I paid $50.98 (shipped) for the second half of Birdy the Mighty. That's $0.85 per minute of animation. When combined with the first half, I've paid $0.62 per minute. No regrets whatsoever.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Any good anime that are like Grimgar ?

Ventus_S - 44 minutes ago

1 by alshu »»
2 minutes ago

» What made Legend of Korra worse than the original series?

Conceptualhero - Mar 18, 2021

20 by varnish40 »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

104 by rsc-pl »»
30 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

44 by Jeevanandhnr »»
56 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

65 by FanofAction »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.