Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 12, 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
There's competition at school and between clubs. It seems this season is trying to spice up the drama between the different clubs, especially when everyone is trying to make their stronger.

Lots of buildup especially among the Saegusa family. Kinda curious how Mayumi's character relationships will explored this season. Tatsuya himself also seems be ready for just about anything.
Apr 12, 7:58 AM

Dec 2021
To think that back when Tatsuya first started at First High, all he wanted was to protect Miyuki. Now, he's dealing with everyone else's problems... lol.

After the entrance ceremony ended, the annual recruitment activities for new students by various clubs began. Amidst the tension between the Robotics Club and the Biker Club, Kasumi from the Public Morals Committee and Takuma from the Clubs Management Group stepped in to mediate. However, as the dispute escalated over who would take the lead, it quickly reached a boiling point. Meanwhile, Saegusa Kouichi, the head of the Saegusa family, aimed to weaken the power of the Yotsuba family by taking advantage of the fact that the USNA humanists had begun media manipulation.

Only the second episode in, and we're already outsourcing stuff... LMAO. See, 8bit? This is what happens when you produce THREE shows in one season. I mean, it's really their fault because they could've easily released Yuru Camp in the next season, and nobody would be mad. Like, what lol. Matter of fact, it's their fault for even picking it up. Whatever, anyways, damn, Ayako really has that Yotsuba blood in her, man. Certified goddess. This episode really proved to me that the new engineering course is just made for Tatsuya. I'm surprised that there are more first course students.

Kairi Yagi's ED one of three this season is here, and it's a banger for sure. Let's see if the rest can maintain the same momentum.

Oh yeah, for anyone wondering as well, both this arc and the next one are each four episodes, leaving five for the last one... decent pacing, I guess?

Feb 2018
After the school entrance ceremony, the recruitment activities by clubs for new students begin. Tension starts to rise in the competition between the Robotics Club and the Bicycle Club to recruit new members. Then, Kozumi from the Disciplinary Committee and Nanaho from the Clubs Executive Board enter as mediators. However, they start to disagree on who should take control, and the situation eventually becomes heated. On the other hand, Hirokazu, the head of the Nanakusa family, uses media campaigns by humanism followers to undermine the power of the Yotsuba family.

Just at the beginning of the minute, there is a problem with the Robo-Ken garage. Miyuki and Onii-sama go to the source of the problem, and yes, the problem has been resolved by the student council, and Miyuki lets the parties involved off without penalties. The Executive Committee must follow instructions, and anyone who seeks trouble will find it. Shippou-kun is really causing trouble, even though Shippou-kun has just entered high school.

Kasumi-chan is really interested in Shippou-kun. As Onee-sama, Saegusa gives Kasumi-chan some advice. According to Saegusa, Shippou is the type of person who always plans everything, minimizes risks first, and is not too greedy for results. Egaka-chan is also here.

I'm not quite sure about this dialogue. Would a teenager in their teens be desired by the media and humanitarian politicians to stay like that? She also attends the Girls' School. Who is this 10-year-old girl referring to?

The conversation between Tatsuya and Kuroba is too complicated, but I roughly understand this. The use of magic by the military is evacuated using the human rights of the wizards as a pretext, and secondly, this is a fictional theory that the magic educational institutions collude with the military based on the fact that 40% of the graduates from the magic university are military members. Create a composition. The third stage is sending the most graduates to the magic university. This will be used by the military to target High School No. 1. It's an intriguing scenario for the children that is known currently.

Juumonji meets with Saegusa-san, is Saegusa cheating? Juumonji discusses the three wizards, but I'm not quite sure if Saegusa's father is involved?

Regarding the "Mikiko-zoku," what is the Mikiko-zoku? What the hell, did I forget everything??? They not only bribe the media but also provide financial support. Professor Kudo is also aware of this issue. Saegusa's father also asks Mayumi why she is doing this?

Tatsuya calls Ayako Kuroba. Ayako will visit on Tuesday next week, April 24th. Ayako is visiting High School No. 1 to commemorate the suicide of an organization member. Tatsuya also confirms to Ayako Kuroba that High School No. 1 has a close relationship with the military. But that's not true.

In the last part, Tatsuya says that the time has come to realize that plan. What plan is Tatsuya referring to?
Aug 2022
Mayumi-San She Is Beautiful, why do they have to make her so cute 😍!!.
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Nov 2010
After the introduction of new faces, the topic was politics in this episode. It's not wrong, but kind of subdued. need some action.
Apr 12, 9:03 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 12, 9:32 AM

Feb 2021
I listened to the full version of the OP for the first time just today and it's so good, I love it.

A fourth? Huh, I thought a lot more of them would be in the military.
This is actually so interesting. Hopefully I won't miss something along the way and get confused.
I really want to check out the novels now. Will definitely get them paperback someday.
Apr 12, 9:59 AM
Jun 2014
8bit's art direction is so on point you almost can't tell it's 3d rendered CG rather than 2d animation.
There are little tells that give it away like the mouth and small rotational movements.
They did a really good job keeping the look uniform with the previous seasons considering both season 1 was a MadHouse production and the Visitor Arc 8bit did in the 2d animation style.
Some of the background scenes have the extras lookin robotic though and the CG is much more obvious on them.
Apr 12, 9:59 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Kasumi's blunt nature sure isn't helping her. Given the nature of the family hiararchy within the magic world animosity is hardly unheard off. Kasumi and Izumi getting advice from Mayumi was nice to see though. As was seeing the Kuroba twins exchange intel with Tatsuya and Miyuki. Even if no mage joins the military and goes into something like healthcare the anti mage faction would just spin another tale about that. To them mages shouldn't exist. The talk with Mayumi's dad though really was interesting. Be curious to see how Tatsuya and his friends deal with the enemies plan though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 10:49 AM

Jun 2016
So far it looks like a disappointment. A short retelling, with 3d, or 2d that looks like bad 3d, and these minutes are the beginning
already in the second episode, there are hints at a Yotsuba meeting. So far the only plus is the opening with the ending and Yotsuba Maya in it. And why did they decide to cut out Sawamura Maki's arc?
Apr 12, 11:16 AM
Sep 2021
Reply to NB_Tenchy
8bit's art direction is so on point you almost can't tell it's 3d rendered CG rather than 2d animation.
There are little tells that give it away like the mouth and small rotational movements.
They did a really good job keeping the look uniform with the previous seasons considering both season 1 was a MadHouse production and the Visitor Arc 8bit did in the 2d animation style.
Some of the background scenes have the extras lookin robotic though and the CG is much more obvious on them.
@NB_Tenchy The CG was less noticeable on the 1st ep...but for some reason it's very noticeable for the 2nd ep. Maybe just me...I came here roughly 5 mins in to the EP to see if anyone else noticed

The extras has always looked robotic even when madhouse was taking the helm...so I never had any expectations for the quality on them haha
Apr 12, 11:33 AM
Dec 2017
Reply to NB_Tenchy
@NB_Tenchy
Also more head movement in the conversations, and overall more animations that would've never happened if it were 2d. Then Mayumi's father appeared and it was too obvious (his face looks terrible). And flat colors make more sense now.
Apr 12, 11:37 AM
Jun 2014
Reply to CapBuster
@NB_Tenchy The CG was less noticeable on the 1st ep...but for some reason it's very noticeable for the 2nd ep. Maybe just me...I came here roughly 5 mins in to the EP to see if anyone else noticed

The extras has always looked robotic even when madhouse was taking the helm...so I never had any expectations for the quality on them haha
@CapBuster I think the reason the CG was more noticeable in the second episode is because of the color contrast and the lack of high energy scenes. I noticed the shading on the minor movements, specifically the Miyuki's head turn in the council room scene and it looked way too smooth and round to be 2d animation, then I noticed the mouth movements and it clicked.
And it really is a complete change in technical development when you compare it to any of the episodes from the Visitor Arc. Like something you can't unsee once you notice it but that just goes to show how well done the actual visual fidelity of the season is, it's so uniform that if you're not looking for the difference intentionally you'll probably not even notice.
Apr 12, 11:58 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Animation looks weird tbh. Too much crap CGI.
Story sound interesting tho.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Apr 12, 12:32 PM
Jun 2023
Besides the background characters and maybe a few other minor things, the animation is not 3DCG like people seem to think. It is actually 2D animated by Junichi Takaoka whose work often gets mistaken for 3D.

This was confirmed by the director on twitter: https://twitter.com/jsq1988211robo/status/1778763350731866217
Apr 12, 12:59 PM

May 2021
Very very stiff animation and acting. Faces are practically emotionless only mouths move and in a very unnatural way. Now this show was never high art or anything other than power fantasy, but still previous seasons have been significantly better.
Apr 12, 1:00 PM

May 2021
Reply to NB_Tenchy
@NB_Tenchy It's disgustingly stiff. There's exactly zero emotions on people's faces.
Apr 12, 1:36 PM
Apr 2015
They swapped to full garbage 3d cgi on episode 2... why?
Apr 12, 1:41 PM

Mar 2011
The fck was that, almost the whole episode was CGI.
8bit running out of budget or the time was not enough.
In the near future I smell a delay for the upcoming episodes or worse delaying with 2 seasons and airing in the fall season.
Apr 12, 2:24 PM

Feb 2014
The story is going somewhere pretty interesting, with Mayumi's own father being involved in something that has her and Jumonji rather worried. Whichever was you look at it, I do see one faction making their move, which will probably involve in some action sooner or later. Tatsuya's definitely going to play a part in this by the looks of it.

While being more on the dialogue-heavy side, this episode was enjoyable. I wasn't expecting so much of the discussion thread talking about about what is and isn't animated in 3D CGI. I'm not surprised that the director himself had to clarify this on Twitter to try and clear up this confusion. That being said, the background CG character movements while Mayumi and Jumonji did look rather bad and I'm usually someone who's more lenient towards this sort of stuff, which is a shame as the shows still looks nice visually.

Either way, I don't see this talk being sorted out anytime soon, so hopefully the next episode can keep this issue to a minimum.
Apr 12, 2:28 PM

Feb 2021
no way full of episode was garbage CGI, I don't have problem with just a little bit or good CGI but oh god! I can't watch it.
Apr 12, 4:36 PM

Feb 2019
Dude I feel like I’m crazy because to me this season of Mahouka looks absolutely amazing.

How characters move seems so fluid and just the overall production values are the best I’ve seen from the series, but seeing a lot of people complain about the 3D mixed with 2D scenes.. it looks damn good to me though and the OST is so good as well. For 25 minutes of pure political manoeuvre, this episode went by in an instant.

Things are starting to heat up with FAIR and their disinformation campaign against magicians, the Saegusa family’s counter disinformation campaign and Mayumi’s disapproval with her father’s actions. I get what he’s trying to do, but like Jumonji said, it’s a dangerous game that can and likely will lead to something much worse happening.

Not to mention Shippou starting to make his move against the Saegusa family. Idk what happened to him in the past to make him dislike Kasumi so much, but it’s hilarious that the two of them show up to break up a fight and end up getting in one themselves lmao. It wouldn’t surprise me if the shippou’s are somehow involved in all this too.

A lot of cool worldbuilding in this episode, but it was still very engaging because of the direction and OST. Always nice to see a lot of Mayumi too and she looked gorgeous. I can’t wait to see what Tatsuya got cooked up as a counter measure next week.
Marinate1016Apr 12, 5:21 PM
Apr 12, 4:41 PM
Mar 2019
There are a lot of political shenanignas happening. Set up episode to something big. Time to uncover a conspiracy.
Apr 12, 4:53 PM

Nov 2012
Providing a there has been some kind of mourning period, why would a widow be trash if she had a man in her room? Are Japan's views on being a widow still antiquated. Do women's lives still stop because their husband die?

I think the key is either in the umeboshi tree or is the tree. The tree may be the previous manager's ship. She turned hers into a lucky cat to fit it's surroundings. Maybe he turned his into a tree. Why not?
Apr 12, 5:12 PM
Nov 2021
Oh boy. The fascism and Randian themes coming back in earnest.
Apr 12, 5:25 PM

Feb 2019
i guess tatsuya already has a backup plan in place. but darn the politics that's happening. and i wanna know what's wrong with that shippou kid; why does he have a stick rammed up his nether region and lashing out on pretty much everyone?
Apr 12, 5:49 PM

Apr 2021
Anyone else notice the reference to the Reminiscence movie?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Apr 12, 5:50 PM
Aug 2021
CGI X___________X
Apr 12, 6:49 PM
Oct 2010
Not sure if Papa Saegusa is arrogant, an idiot, or just clueless of the reason that the Yotsuba are one of the Master clans. Hint: It's not just because there's a number in their name, and Kudou is old enough to know better than to stir up a very, very venomous snake. Ain't enough antivenom in the world to handle a bite like that.
Apr 12, 8:09 PM
Jan 2020
Junichi Takaoka is too good at this job people mistake it for CGI lmao
Apr 12, 8:36 PM
Nov 2019
ceritanya makin seru si ini
My Candies :
Apr 12, 9:09 PM
Apr 2023
Oooh things about to get spicy
Apr 12, 9:48 PM

Dec 2020
This arc may induce a huge impact on the relation between magicians and non-magicians, also in the ten clans...and as usual mc is ready for everything
With this ep it clarifies more that Kudō sensei is a very complex character

Looking forward to the outcome
Apr 12, 10:42 PM

May 2021
The OP and ED this week hit so good. Super hyped for the next episode. Love the Mayumi x Katsuto content, they always go so well together.

Marinate1016 said:
Dude I feel like I’m crazy because to me this season of Mahouka looks absolutely amazing.

How characters move seems so fluid and just the overall production values are the best I’ve seen from the series, but seeing a lot of people complain about the 3D mixed with 2D scenes.. it looks damn good to me though and the OST is so good as well.

I'm not sure why there are so many upset with the animation style, we are getting a season of Mahouka that got a budget. If anything it looks spectacular. I'm happy with the direction the show is headed in and on top of that I'm excited to get to know these new characters better. If you don't like the animation style then that's a you problem the anime looks great.

All I'm asking for is more Erika screen time and I'm set ^_^
Apr 12, 10:42 PM

Feb 2021
is it just me or is the dad CGI and saegusa is 2D in the same frame?? they pulling some ex arm type shit
Apr 12, 10:57 PM

Feb 2019
Horizon248 said:
The OP and ED this week hit so good. Super hyped for the next episode. Love the Mayumi x Katsuto content, they always go so well together.

Marinate1016 said:

How characters move seems so fluid and just the overall production values are the best I’ve seen from the series, but seeing a lot of people complain about the 3D mixed with 2D scenes.. it looks damn good to me though and the OST is so good as well.

I'm not sure why there are so many upset with the animation style, we are getting a season of Mahouka that got a budget. If anything it looks spectacular. I'm happy with the direction the show is headed in and on top of that I'm excited to get to know these new characters better. If you don't like the animation style then that's a you problem the anime looks great.

All I’m asking for is Lena back 😩
Apr 12, 11:05 PM
Jan 2021
So many people complaining about full 3d cgi episode when it's just Junichi Takaoka animation style...

This season is on a different level than the previous ones imho from an artistic point
While ep2 was a tense build-up for what's about to happen.
Apr 12, 11:25 PM
Jul 2017
The CG animation and novel amount of dialogue was painful
Apr 12, 11:28 PM

May 2021
Reply to Marinate1016
Horizon248 said:

Marinate1016 said:

All I’m asking for is Lena back 😩
@Marinate1016 real and true o7. Might rewatch the second season because I'm unhinged. I wouldn't mind a bit more Shizuku either... :)

And if we're talking Lena from 86 then I'm right there with you soldier. xD
Apr 12, 11:32 PM

Feb 2019
Horizon248 said:
@Marinate1016 real and true o7. Might rewatch the second season because I'm unhinged. I wouldn't mind a bit more Shizuku either... :)

Nah I mean Angie from s2 lol
Apr 12, 11:38 PM

May 2021
Reply to Marinate1016
Horizon248 said:

Marinate1016 said:
100 I just slid in a joke about your forum pic because I love 86 too lol.

Lina from season 2 is great I adore her too.
Apr 12, 11:43 PM

Mar 2007
Already disliking one of the Saegusa twins, and I'm sure there's loads of political undercurrents that will blow up eventually if those teenagers aren't able to control themselves. NGL I'm already missing the big sis at school, she's so much more level headed. Unfortunately she's not playing with a full deck as her family is hiding stuff from her.
Stormy_77Apr 12, 11:58 PM
Apr 13, 5:51 AM

Aug 2013
Time for that plan; too much build-up and too little action.
Apr 13, 6:12 AM

Feb 2019
I love this series, bu he animation was kinda weird in many scenes. What's up with that?
Apr 13, 7:05 AM

Nov 2014
Characters moving around in the background were janky enough to distract from the show....
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 13, 8:56 AM
Dec 2019
Reply to CapBuster

damn same. came here to check if anyone else noticed the CG in episode 2. Episode 1 wasn't really that obvious. in fact i was kind of impressed with the animation in episode 1. In episode 2, when miyuki was trying to break apart kasumi and shippou's fight, she looked kind of weird.
UniqloApr 13, 9:00 AM
Apr 13, 11:05 AM
Jun 2015
It's like this whole episode was info dumpage in 5 fps 🤣🤣🤣
Apr 13, 12:21 PM

Jan 2008
For most people just living their day-to-day lives trying to make ends meet, sometimes it nice...being reminded even in fiction stories that these types of behind-the-scenes maneuvering, conflicting political clashes, narrative-spinning manipulation campaigns, and the like; are common everyday occurrences IRL. And they will continue to do so ever into the future, just like it always has, both in the past and the present.

What plan Tatsuya has in mind at the end...I'm intrigued.

ED theme song is nice. I hope the non-credit version drops soon.
Apr 13, 2:41 PM

Aug 2020
CGI made this unwatchable and mouth movements were very unnatural.
1. someone tilts head, talks
2. other person leans back or forward, talks
3. repeat for the entire episode
Apr 13, 3:13 PM
Dec 2020
Now that was a new low for animation quality/3d CGI for the series... Not as bad as Exarms or the new Berserk, but off-putting enough that I had to skip back to make sure I'm not imagining things. The face of the Saegusa father just looked cheaply done. And Mayumi's eyes, eyebrows and hairline were disconnected from each other when she met with Katsuto.

Really hope this ep is an outlier and not the standard this season. It felt like an ArcSystemWorks cutscene at times.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 28

63 by Bourriche »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 17

44 by lanfire »»
Sep 13, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 10

34 by lanfire »»
Sep 13, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 26

58 by lanfire »»
Sep 13, 12:43 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei 3rd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 19

52 by adbeaver »»
Aug 19, 8:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.