Forum Settings
Forums

How often do you pick an anime you're certain is bad and won't enjoy?

New
Apr 8, 3:21 PM

Jul 2015
Do you guys ever do that? If so, how frequently? And what factors influence your decision to choose such an anime?

I don't do that as often nowadays, but there are still times when I might go for something like that out of sheer curiosity, even if I know I might not enjoy it.
In addition, there are times when after a rough day, I just want to unwind with something mindless, and in those moments, I'm not too picky about what I watch. In fact, in those situations, a bad anime might even be preferable to a good one because I don't have to invest as much mental energy or emotional attachment into it.

To wrap up, sometimes it's more about the distraction and "occupation" than the quality of the show itself.

Edit: I'm really curious to read what those who voted regularly have to say. I really want to know why tf you do that so often ._.

Edit 2: Because some people are overly concerned with technicalities for no reason, I'm gonna clarify a few things. Better late than never I guess:

It's important to distinguish between a "bad" anime and a "boring" anime, as these terms don't always align.
While a bad anime may suffer from poor audiovisual quality, inconsistent storytelling, or uninteresting characters, a boring anime may simply lack excitement or fail to engage the viewer despite its technical merits. In other words, a bad anime may have noticeable flaws that detract from the overall experience, whereas a boring anime may be well-made but fail to captivate the audience due to its pacing, premise, or execution. An anime can be technically proficient yet fail to resonate with viewers on an emotional or intellectual level, resulting in a lackluster or uninspired viewing experience. Conversely, a bad anime may still be enjoyable or entertaining despite its flaws if it manages to engage the audience with some memorable moments, to say the least.

So, for this thread, consider anime that are both "bad" and "boring", as indicated in the title already (boring = won't enjoy, right?)
PokitaruApr 10, 3:33 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 8, 3:27 PM

Sep 2016
Very rarely and only if they are short enough.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 8, 3:28 PM

Dec 2021
Rarely, because I once added Ojou to Banken-kun to my PtW right when it was announced (My mistake: Without actually looking past the singular "romance" tag, which is obviously now different, and without looking into the plot at all), before shortly thereafter realizing that it was a very unfortunate type of romance anime.

But once it's on my list, it never leaves, so I watched it anyway once it started airing, knowing it'd be a 2/10. It was a 2/10, but for many more reasons than I was prepared for. Kaori still haunts my head, making everything look lower budget than it should be capable of looking.

Yes, I'm an idiot who doesn't look into things when they're presented on my phone specifically (I literally don't get these "Upcoming anime suggestions" on desktop, only on the MAL app), and I really should work on that.
Daviljoe193Apr 8, 5:00 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 8, 3:29 PM

Feb 2016
Pokitaru said:
And what factors influence your decision to choose such an anime?

The fact that I have actually enjoyed a few anime I thought I would not, such as Darker Than Black.
その目だれの目?
Apr 8, 3:47 PM

Jan 2022
When I have nothing better to watch or when an anime is hyped up too much that I need to know for a fact that it's an actually bad anime shilled by bots and indians.
Apr 8, 3:51 PM

Jan 2020
If you count anime that are scored low, sometimes I do to see if it's as bad.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Apr 8, 3:56 PM

Apr 2020
i rarely do this. i already feel like im wasting a lot of time watching anime when i definitely watch it a lot less than i used to. willingly watching bad shows is unheard of for me these days. i used to watch bad shows tho like school days because i was curious.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 4:03 PM

Aug 2011
I've definitely chosen to watch anime that I expected to be mediocre (like you said, sometimes those can be easier to watch if I just need to relax and turn my brain off for a bit), but I don't think I've ever started something that I though would be actively "bad" and hard to enjoy at all.
Apr 8, 4:10 PM

Jul 2021
There are anime that look "interestingly bad", and then there are "boringly bad" anime.

The former category sometimes piques my curiosity enough to make me watch it. Solo Leveling from last season was one of those for me.
Apr 8, 4:13 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah, it happens pretty often since I tend to check on popular anime with high rating and then most of times it happens to be a crap or passable at best.
Apr 8, 4:29 PM

Sep 2021
I only pick up stuff that has a slight chance to be good. There are shows I expect to be bad, as in "This has a a 20% chance to be great and an 80% chance to be bad" and I give them a chance. But I would never pick up a show where I don't see how it could be any good.
Apr 8, 4:31 PM

Jun 2020
Basically never. The only instance was me picking up Ex Arm and I still couldnt handle it weekly coz it was so shit

Apr 8, 4:58 PM
Aug 2023
You wouldn't really know if something is bad or not before you watch it right?

I occasionally watch something that I suspect is bad but might be interesting, and it turned out to be just bad. It's happens a lot when I try to watch something popular. I don't get why so many bad anime get so much attention these days. It made me stop looking for anime by popularity a while ago.
Apr 8, 6:32 PM
Apr 2022
morbid curiosity on how bad can it be sometimes gets to me
Apr 8, 6:46 PM
Feb 2014
I can't be certain something is going to be bad before watching it, i always go in with the expectation that i'll like it.

I don't intentionally pick up an anime that i think will be bad (according to my tastes).
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Apr 8, 7:09 PM

Feb 2021
I like to watch garbage sometimes. I do this more with cartoons (Megamind Rules, Velma, etc) but I do sometimes do it with anime (Persona 5: the Animation, Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san, etc)
Apr 8, 7:20 PM

Jan 2008
I watch a lot of isekai. A lot of which I've read something of and already know are bad. They are often made even worse because a lot of them have such low production value, they're not even visually entertaining. Though it's not like I finish every one of them. With the abundance of isekai every season, this is a regular seasonal occurance.
Apr 8, 7:46 PM
Oct 2019
I can't be certain something is going to be bad before watching it, i always go in with the expectation that i'll like it.

I don't intentionally pick up an anime that i think will be bad (according to my tastes).(2) If I may add I say every piece of media deserve a chance it's just that chance won't be from anyone in every strat of the society. You can compare it to someone who drink his wine on his balcony versus someone who drink his on party and occasions from his social circle. It's the same wine it's just not consumed the same way.

Apr 8, 7:46 PM

Aug 2020
Never. I am Always searching for good shows. This sounds like masochism to me.

Apr 8, 8:21 PM

Feb 2021
Believe it or not, when I say Demon Slayer is boring or any show in that regard, it's not like I actively watched it to hate it. I go into show with an open mind and decide if it's good or not. If anything, I want the show I watch to be good, that's why I give shows a chance. If I know I won't enjoy a show, I would not have started it in the first place. I heard good things about the Chainsaw Man manga before the anime aired and decided to give it a watch, three episodes in fact, and I don't like it. On the other hand, I take a quick glance at JJK and know it's not for me.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 8, 9:32 PM

Dec 2022
Never, for the most part. If my intuition tells me an anime is awful or unsavoury after some sleuthing, then I just pass up on it. Life's too short to watch every anime out there, so may as well try to watch what piques your fancy.

Shaded Horizon

Apr 8, 9:49 PM

Feb 2020
"How often do you pick an anime you're certain is bad and won't enjoy?"

Never. What's the point?
Apr 8, 9:56 PM

May 2021
Very rarely and it's generally because one of my friends wants me to watch something with them that I'm not interested in. If I'm solo watching I don't think I've ever chosen an anime knowing I'm gonna dislike it. I've absolutely watched anime that I thought were gonna be pretty bad but didn't go into watching them thinking I was gonna hate it.

I'm also not watching an insane amount of anime a month + have a pretty big backlog of plan to watch. Most of the random misses I have are from seasonal anime I'm sampling. I try to be as positive as I can be about any anime that I'm watching but sometimes it's just a miss lol.

Pokitaru said:
after a rough day, I just want to unwind with something mindless, and in those moments, I'm not too picky about what I watch.

Yeah feel this too. I have chosen anime that I knew would just be mindless shenanigans for this exact reason.
Apr 8, 10:31 PM
Oct 2019
Why would I ever willingly subject myself to something that I know that I'd hate?
Apr 9, 12:37 AM

Jan 2023
I never did that and never will.
I try to always make sure I will like something before watching it.

Now then, I sometimes go in not sure at all if I'll like something, but at least I have some hope I will.
Apr 9, 12:43 AM

May 2019
Sometimes just out of curiosity or if a friend told me it's so bad that it's funny.
Also sometimes for the Anime Watching Challenge, if I really can't find anything that I like and matches the requirement.

Apr 9, 1:04 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to Otakupervert890

I don't intentionally pick up an anime that i think will be bad (according to my tastes).(2) If I may add I say every piece of media deserve a chance it's just that chance won't be from anyone in every strat of the society. You can compare it to someone who drink his wine on his balcony versus someone who drink his on party and occasions from his social circle. It's the same wine it's just not consumed the same way.

Otakupervert890 said:

Indeed, but there are times when you simply sense it. After years of watching anime, you develop a knack for distinguishing between the worthwhile ones and those that aren't. While you might not always be spot-on, the occasions where you miss the mark are few and far between.

One reason for this is the accumulation of experience and exposure to various storytelling styles and tropes. Over time, you become adept at recognizing patterns and identifying indicators of quality or lack thereof. Additionally, as your tastes refine, you become better at discerning which anime aligns with your preferences and expectations.

Ultimately, while there's always room for surprises and exceptions, the combination of experience, intuition, and even community feedback significantly enhances your ability to make decisions about which anime to watch.
Apr 9, 1:07 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to ShatteredSans
Why would I ever willingly subject myself to something that I know that I'd hate?
@ShatteredSans I've already mentioned two reasons in my initial post as to why I occasionally do that, so you already have some insight
Apr 9, 1:52 AM

Oct 2020
Not as often as I used too, but whenever I get heavy into seasonals I usually pick out a few I that I know aren't my niche just to broaden my perspective of the medium. It also helps me appreciate a good anime when I come across one too.
Apr 9, 2:00 AM

Feb 2016
Not gonna watch something I know I will hate right out the gate.
Hate watching is pointless.
Specifically that's toward anime that's "So Bad it's Awful" not "So Bad it's Good" i.e Guilty Pleasure. With the latter, at least with that there's potential entertainment to be had good or bad. But the former, fuck no it's just pain
Apr 9, 3:27 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to Daviljoe193
Rarely, because I once added Ojou to Banken-kun to my PtW right when it was announced (My mistake: Without actually looking past the singular "romance" tag, which is obviously now different, and without looking into the plot at all), before shortly thereafter realizing that it was a very unfortunate type of romance anime.

But once it's on my list, it never leaves, so I watched it anyway once it started airing, knowing it'd be a 2/10. It was a 2/10, but for many more reasons than I was prepared for. Kaori still haunts my head, making everything look lower budget than it should be capable of looking.

Yes, I'm an idiot who doesn't look into things when they're presented on my phone specifically (I literally don't get these "Upcoming anime suggestions" on desktop, only on the MAL app), and I really should work on that.
@Daviljoe193

Is this Usagi Drop Part 2 - The Animation?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 9, 3:33 AM

Sep 2018
Regularly, because I'd rather try and then immediately drop over not trying at all.
Apr 9, 3:47 AM

Mar 2012
Rarely, the last time I did that was with Urusei Yatsura.
Apr 9, 3:59 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@Daviljoe193

Is this Usagi Drop Part 2 - The Animation?
@Zarutaku I swear, he could have a kid with her, cheat on her with said kid, and some mf would still be like "but its still a cute anime ☝️🤓".
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Apr 9, 4:00 AM

Feb 2017
Rarely, out of curiosity, high rating or MAL badge (i pick random manga that i think better from the list that i don't even have interest with, though it's ended up fine (6)).
-
-
Apr 9, 4:38 AM

Oct 2019
I do sometimes watch anime that I think will be bad, but NEVER something that I think I won't enjoy.

I think doing so is extremely stupid, there are already so many great and enjoyable anime in the world, why in the hell would I waste my time on something that I am both certain is bad AND I won't enjoy it?

Watching bad media has it's positives, but there is no reason to watch the staff that I won't even have fun with.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 9, 4:41 AM

Nov 2023
I did it like 5 times because l feel like it, i usually target ones with the themes and the style that l typically dislike and watch it at 2x speed.

3 i ended up liking 2 remain as bad as what I expected
Apr 9, 4:57 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to APolygons2
I do sometimes watch anime that I think will be bad, but NEVER something that I think I won't enjoy.

I think doing so is extremely stupid, there are already so many great and enjoyable anime in the world, why in the hell would I waste my time on something that I am both certain is bad AND I won't enjoy it?

Watching bad media has it's positives, but there is no reason to watch the staff that I won't even have fun with.
APolygons2 said:
why in the hell would I waste my time on something that I am both certain is bad AND I won't enjoy it?
I get your point. In addition to the reasons I mentioned in my initial post: Watching some bad anime from time to time will make you appreciate the good ones even more
Apr 9, 5:05 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Pokitaru
APolygons2 said:
why in the hell would I waste my time on something that I am both certain is bad AND I won't enjoy it?
I get your point. In addition to the reasons I mentioned in my initial post: Watching some bad anime from time to time will make you appreciate the good ones even more
@Pokitaru The issue is that you said:

I agree, watching less than great stuff makes you appreciate the good ones more

and yes sometimes you just want some mindless fun, and aren't in the mood of investing your self in an actual good show

but the issue is the "won't enjoy" part.

I understand why you would watch a good show that you don't really enjoy that much.

I understand why you would watch a bad show that is enjoyable.

What is the point of having both?

If the goal is mindless media consumption, there are plenty of bad, good, and average shows out there that offer it while also actually being entertaining and fun.

Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 9, 5:21 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to APolygons2
@Pokitaru The issue is that you said:

I agree, watching less than great stuff makes you appreciate the good ones more

and yes sometimes you just want some mindless fun, and aren't in the mood of investing your self in an actual good show

but the issue is the "won't enjoy" part.

I understand why you would watch a good show that you don't really enjoy that much.

I understand why you would watch a bad show that is enjoyable.

If the goal is mindless media consumption, there are plenty of bad, good, and average shows out there that offer it while also actually being entertaining and fun.

APolygons2 said:
And why is that a bad thing tho? Is it wrong to have both?
It's completely fine and entirely reasonable to find enjoyment in a bad anime and not enjoy a good one.

Just to clarify, I don't aim for mindless media consumption all the time. In fact, I don't engage in it as often these days because I value my time, and watching a bad anime isn't really my preference. However, I may still go for something like that every once in a while. And while it's true that mindless media consumption can occur with good anime as well, I believe that in this particular scenario, a bad anime is often the preferable choice, at least most of the time.
Apr 9, 5:42 AM

Mar 2023
From time to time when i feel the need to rip something bad apart just for fun.
Apr 9, 5:48 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to Pokitaru
APolygons2 said:
It's completely fine and entirely reasonable to find enjoyment in a bad anime and not enjoy a good one.

Just to clarify, I don't aim for mindless media consumption all the time. In fact, I don't engage in it as often these days because I value my time, and watching a bad anime isn't really my preference. However, I may still go for something like that every once in a while. And while it's true that mindless media consumption can occur with good anime as well, I believe that in this particular scenario, a bad anime is often the preferable choice, at least most of the time.
Pokitaru said:

bruh, I obviously meant both at the same time.

Like a show that id both bad and unenjoyable.

Pokitaru said:
I believe that in this particular scenario, a bad anime is often the preferable choice, at least most of the time.

again, I agree, but why does have to be both bad and boring/unenjoyable?

wouldn't a mindless fun trash show be better for this than a show that is just bad in a boring way?

There are plenty of shitty shows that are still fun.

Like, what I'm saying is, why watch a subpar repetitive isekai, when you can watch something as stupid as mirrai nikki instead.

Mirrai nikki, darling in the franxx, Redo of Healer....

none of these are "good", but they are entertaining. They are much better than a show that is bad in the most boring way possible like your average seasonal low budget power fantasy.

Unless you enjoy trashy power fantasy, but that would be the point. what I'm saying is, why watch a bad show that you don't enjoy, when watching a bad show that you do enjoy has all the benefits and none of the downfalls.
Also available at:

Apr 9, 5:53 AM

Sep 2018
I sometimes watch anime I think will be bad, but largely because I think I will enjoy them despite (or even because of) that.
Just a casual anime watcher
Apr 9, 5:55 AM

Apr 2010
I voted 'rarely'.

I remember doing it like four or five times, because either a friend persuaded me to give it a try or my acquaintance posted a review on her blog praising it.

Have been disappointed every single time.
Apr 9, 6:23 AM

May 2022
Never. There has to be some entertainment value there, something about the anime to hook me in and engage my brain, because I'd be wasting my time otherwise.
Apr 9, 7:27 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to APolygons2
Pokitaru said:

Like a show that id both bad and unenjoyable.

Pokitaru said:
I believe that in this particular scenario, a bad anime is often the preferable choice, at least most of the time.

wouldn't a mindless fun trash show be better for this than a show that is just bad in a boring way?

There are plenty of shitty shows that are still fun.

Like, what I'm saying is, why watch a subpar repetitive isekai, when you can watch something as stupid as mirrai nikki instead.

Mirrai nikki, darling in the franxx, Redo of Healer....

none of these are "good", but they are entertaining. They are much better than a show that is bad in the most boring way possible like your average seasonal low budget power fantasy.

Unless you enjoy trashy power fantasy, but that would be the point. what I'm saying is, why watch a bad show that you don't enjoy, when watching a bad show that you do enjoy has all the benefits and none of the downfalls.
APolygons2 said:

my apologies

APolygons2 said:

It depends on what you define as "bad" and "boring/unenjoyable".

For me, bad does not equal boring all the time, however, a boring anime is always bad.

This is just me tho, just my perspective.

APolygons2 said:
none of these are "good", but they are entertaining

I agree with these 3 anime. They are bad but hold some entertainment value.

APolygons2 said:
why watch a bad show that you don't enjoy, when watching a bad show that you do enjoy has all the benefits and none of the downfalls.

I mean, you cannot always be certain which bad show will entertain you or not. I agree that there are shows that are bad but can be entertaining, like the ones you mentioned, but there shows that are bad and not entertaining, like Angels of Death. You just gamble I guess
Apr 9, 12:21 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to MeguSae38

Now then, I sometimes go in not sure at all if I'll like something, but at least I have some hope I will.
MeguSae38 said:

Same here, that's why I do some research to see if it's something I'll like or enjoy, even if the anime seems bad.
Apr 9, 1:18 PM

Jul 2023
I pick them because they still have positive reviews, so I can't be 100% sure I won't like them. But if they have certain tags I'll 99% avoid them.

If they're so bad I can't even get past episode 3 then I won't even put them on my dropped list. (Usually. If they are very popular then I will mark them as dropped to let others know I gave them a chance.)
Apr 9, 1:36 PM

Jul 2021
Like, not watching bad shows for the sake of it, but I repeatedly see animes which I don't know a thing about.
Only "heard" about it and maxim have seen a clip. It's much more fun to randomly encounter a masterpiece that way than profoundly searching for it, and it's just a chill experience.
Sometimes I find myself enjoying some animes that are not that know, watching generic as all hell isekais or power fantasies, others watching so bad it's good and mostly just watching absolute trash or boring stuff.

I'm not certain they're bad but I'm mostly certain they're not good lol.
Apr 9, 2:46 PM

Mar 2024
Never. I don't see myself rating anything below a 3 since I like to find anime that lie within my preferences unless I go out of my way to watch supposed abhorrent pieces of garbage like Hametsu no Mars.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your first impression on studio (part-6) : KYOANI? ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Jan 9

61 by Mayahuel »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

59 by IKKIsama »»
4 minutes ago

» A character who is impossible to love?

torsan88 - Jun 6

30 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Mar 11

63 by Swyzen »»
25 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Yesterday

16 by WatchTillTandava »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.