Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
MF Ghost
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 17, 2023 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
Shun getting distracted by Koki's Alpine, it puts pressure on everyone to deliver better.

Kyoko and Ren working in the same shift, the MFG Angels have it tough, but at least they keep accountability of their love lives, as Shun is too obsessed with Ren. As Kanata awaits his turn filing an application letter, Mayuko realized that his writing is like his mother Katherine, which she was with her in art school, filled with talent and brilliance as an artist. However, Kanata is more inclined to the sports type, which puts strain on her inheritance of her skills, which Mayuko would be happy to teach him sometime. As for the Yashi-Kita siblings, Nozomi being fired up against Kakeru, what a sibling rivalry. But even things like bad weather can affect MFG preliminary races, which on a rainy day, Kanata doesn't don an umbrella (because Westerners don't do that), which he got quite the scolding.

Back to the MFG race once the weather clears up, and Koki's time still looks to be unbeatable, apart from the usual accidents that make Lake Ashinoko a rather dangerous course, further delaying the time trials and the eventual race. Even as the top racers come beating up the competition with their time attack timings, it's strenuous, but nothing all too difficult for Kanata with his easygoing nature (with a splash of yet another iconic car: Keisuke takahashi's Mazda RX-7). Day 6 of the run, and it's Angel Satou Mami on the docks with Fujin Ishigami and Kanata's run, with the latter giving him an air kiss. That's some favoritism for sure, but apart from Shun trying to incorporate Kanata's tricks, Kanata is blazing through with style.

How will Kanata fare with Ogata's underpowered, but modified Toyota 86 GT in this tough winding MFG's 2nd race of Lake Ashinoko GT?
Find out in Season 2 coming next year...
https://twitter.com/mfg_anime/status/1736407620901363914

Clearly, there's still more material left to go, and a Season 2 is not all that surprising.
But for what Season 1 was shown here...I have lower expectations going forward.
KANLen09Dec 17, 2023 9:45 AM
Dec 17, 2023 8:24 AM

Apr 2020
Not as good as most seasons of Initial D but still a good watch.
I wish the soundtrack was as memorable.
7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Dec 17, 2023 9:18 AM
Feb 2020
Didn't watch this show but was surprised how much it jumped in scores after this last episode
Dec 17, 2023 9:31 AM
Dec 2022
I literally got chills when Spitfire started playing
Dec 17, 2023 9:36 AM

Feb 2012
Seeing Sawatari's time, Shun's fumbling too much in the R35.
The eidetic memory Kanata often uses to his advantage—from memorising the Odawara Pikes Peak course and demo run in Round 1 of MFG to learning how to take orders—is revealed to have been inherited from his mother Katherine.
Ohtani, who used a Mercedes-AMG GT S in round 1, is qualifying for round 2 in a Mercedes-AMG GT R.
Not using umbrellas sounds like him trolling Ren but using "soccer" really makes me doubt Kanata 's Britishness...
Audi R8 in 5th, Lexus in 9th.
The Alpine is still untouchable. Time for the Ferrari driven by Akaba Kaito, who got the stand on top of the podium in the first round due to Beckenbauer not attending the ceremony.
The license plate Ogata has hung up has "V12 RKP", the UK reg number for a blue Land Rover.
Kanata's practice revealed, replicating Keisuke's demo run with the RX-7 in his mind.
Beside Shun's GT-R Nismo and the Ogata's 86 GT, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX and Nissan Leaf.
The young rising star Kanata is off in the improved 86 GT, and in little time reaches 13th place. Will Sprial's update to everything but the engine be meaningful?
SPITFIRE!!!!! Love how so many of the Eurobeat bangers SCP MUSIC have released over the years are in this show.

Praying for more cars, more Eurobeat and less angel scenes in S2.
Fortress_MaximusDec 17, 2023 3:06 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 17, 2023 9:38 AM

Jan 2009
kanata got his photographic memory from his mom

and damn what a cliffhanger
Dec 17, 2023 9:46 AM
Sep 2015
I've no problem with MF Ghost getting season 2 but I wish Overtake could get a sequel too.
Dec 17, 2023 9:49 AM

Mar 2021
What a cliffhanger to end the season on, This show has just been amazing and I cannot wait to watch season 2 next year
Dec 17, 2023 10:06 AM

Feb 2019
“No one uses umbrellas in England” biggest lie I’ve ever heard lmao what

Definitely didn’t feel like series finale at all. That Spitfire cliffhanger was pretty cool. Season 2 was inevitable with this one so it’ll be interesting to see how things play out from here.

Got some cool backstory about Kanata’s mom. A photographic memory really comes in handy not just for racing, but a wide range of things. Seems like his parents both gave him unique traits that when combined, give Kanata amazing potential as a driver. Was also sweet hearing about Mayuko and his mom’s history as friends.

Speaking of his photographic memory.. if he’s using it to copy his teacher’s runs, what happens when he runs out of material? Is that where we’ll really start to see his genius take over?

Overall a decent start to the series. Think overtake! was quite a bit better as a story, also just never watched initial D so the feeling a lot of people have with this one isn’t there for me.
Marinate1016Dec 17, 2023 10:27 AM
Dec 17, 2023 10:22 AM

Oct 2017
Did they just really end the season there, like for real bro? Holy shit I'm gonna go nuts here.

So Kanata has photographic memory after all and is copying Keisuke's demo runs. I guess there will come a time when it won't be enough and he'll have go beyond that. Good to have the short flashbacks of his mother. Btw Aiba's a real loser and a creep as well. Ono Daisuke's voice is completely wasted on him.

Was a really good season and I absolutely enjoyed it. Race animation/direction was really well done. I loved the story and races so far as well as character interactions. Specially Ren and Kanata's. This is gonna continue Initial D's legacy well. Looking forward to s2 next year. Hope it's gonna come out as early as possible.
Dec 17, 2023 10:23 AM

Sep 2021
Overall, the buildup is too long and slow throughout the season. And the interesting showdown races too short, with the constant perspective shifts. To make things worse, this last episode was just one big (?) buildup for...next season in 2024, probably Q2/Q3.

Sure, the parts with the eurobeats in the background are exciting but most of those feel too short before they end or (as is the case in this episode) cut to the credits just as it was getting good. For the rest of time, it was too boring and I guess I just can't stand Aiba's creepiness towards no. 7-chan and that "genius" guy with his love of 17 year olds. I guess fans of the original Initial D would appreciate the subtle and small throwbacks to the OG characters sprinkled here and there, but as someone who hasn't watched much of it, it does not instantly make me want to give this anime a higher score just for having nostalgic throwbacks.

Why the heck is Ogata letting Aiba into the booth to look at Kanata's secrets and data? Aren't these sorts of stuff the competitive edge that one keeps within the team in order to win in races? I can understand the first time during the preliminaries when they weren't competitors yet but now that they are, Ogata still lets Aiba into the booth lol. He even openly discussed what kind of mods and upgrades the car didn't take with Aiba (I'm not sure if this sort of stuff is public data for this though)...
yhagniDec 17, 2023 10:30 AM
Dec 17, 2023 10:50 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Marinate1016
“No one uses umbrellas in England” biggest lie I’ve ever heard lmao what

Definitely didn’t feel like series finale at all. That Spitfire cliffhanger was pretty cool. Season 2 was inevitable with this one so it’ll be interesting to see how things play out from here.

Got some cool backstory about Kanata’s mom. A photographic memory really comes in handy not just for racing, but a wide range of things. Seems like his parents both gave him unique traits that when combined, give Kanata amazing potential as a driver. Was also sweet hearing about Mayuko and his mom’s history as friends.

Speaking of his photographic memory.. if he’s using it to copy his teacher’s runs, what happens when he runs out of material? Is that where we’ll really start to see his genius take over?

Overall a decent start to the series. Think overtake! was quite a bit better as a story, also just never watched initial D so the feeling a lot of people have with this one isn’t there for me.
@Marinate1016
I've actually been told that people in the UK don't really use umbrellas. I haven't been there personally but I've heard from friends who have visited and lived there.
Dec 17, 2023 10:51 AM

Feb 2019
Kitoge said:
@Marinate1016
I've actually been told that people in the UK don't really use umbrellas. I haven't been there personally but I've heard from friends who have visited and lived there.

I went to undergrad in Scotland, Glasgow uni, definitely not true. You have to use special umbrellas though because of the wind which breaks the top metal pieces of standard umbrellas. Now tbf he did say England so maybe down south they don’t as much, certainly have seen many an umbrella in Liverpool and Manchester when I’ve been.
Dec 17, 2023 10:54 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Marinate1016
Kitoge said:
@Marinate1016

I went to undergrad in Scotland, Glasgow uni, definitely not true. You have to use special umbrellas though because of the wind which breaks the top metal pieces of standard umbrellas. Now tbf he did say England so maybe down south they don’t as much, certainly have seen many an umbrella in Liverpool and Manchester when I’ve been.
@Marinate1016
Interesting, do you think it depends on the area?
Dec 17, 2023 10:56 AM

Feb 2019
@kitoge idk like I said everywhere I’ve been in Britain people use umbrellas, especially in Glasgow where it rains like everyday for large parts of the year. They might get less rain where Kanata is from down south
Dec 17, 2023 10:58 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Marinate1016
@kitoge idk like I said everywhere I’ve been in Britain people use umbrellas, especially in Glasgow where it rains like everyday for large parts of the year. They might get less rain where Kanata is from down south
@Marinate1016
Ah, I see where the disconnect is: Ask UK Reddit
I guess this is to say people will carry umbrellas but most don't really open it depending on wind and level of rain.
Dec 17, 2023 11:33 AM

Jan 2017
SPITFIRE!!!!!!!

I was hoping that in the last EP, they would use at least one Eurobeat from the ID, not a bad choice!

Overall great adaptation and I can't wait for the S02 next year!

Solid 8/10 not as good as OG ID but nothing can beat the legendary S01.
Dec 17, 2023 11:49 AM
Aug 2020
i heard that some people are watchting this without watching the prequel,unbelievable...

the way this episode end is criminal!!!
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Dec 17, 2023 11:57 AM
Varangian Guard

Mar 2015
Last episode confirmed that formula for great episode is to use (or even re-use) classic eurobeat bangers. I hope there will be more of it in next season like 'Gas Gas Gas', 'She Devil' or "Forever Young'.
Dec 17, 2023 12:15 PM

Nov 2011
We got Kanata racing, but wtf with this cliffhanger! xp I kinda expected the story won't finish at this point, but wait what xD
Dec 17, 2023 12:23 PM
Mar 2008
I wonder why the changed the wing on Keisuke's from an Re Amemiya GT II in 5th stage to a GT III wing in MF. What a downgrade
Dec 17, 2023 1:06 PM
Jul 2020
ending the 1st season in the middle of the qualifying was uncalled for.. at least finish the race, and for the final moments of the episode introduce what will the next season bring.. it wont be because of this that i'll read the manga
Dec 17, 2023 1:15 PM
Jul 2021
2/10. Boring, bland, uninspired rubbish with maybe three minutes of good content over the entire cour. It wasn't even the best racing anime this season. I'm disappointed in myself for not dropping it earlier but Initial D 1st stage is one of my top of all time so I gave it too much of a chance.
Dec 17, 2023 1:22 PM
Apr 2020
I enjoyed it for the most part.

But they really need to tone it down with the creepy parts.
I don't mind fan service, but I don't want to know what's going through another guy's head...
Dec 17, 2023 1:25 PM

Jan 2018
Ending the season just when Kanata turned that eurobeat up is criminal, I can't wait for the next season
Dec 17, 2023 2:05 PM

Dec 2016

Yeah, I'm gonna call this BS.

Meh.

What an unfruitful and boring finale. I know that a second season was already announced and it's due next year so they kinda have to cut it somewhere, but still nothing in this episode felt interesting.
My biggest gripe was the whole talk between Kanata & Ren's mother about Katherine. Geez, we don't need a whole slow ass depiction on Kanata's idetic memory just like his mom. With Takumi we knew that was one of his gifts without having such a boring cutscene.

Overall it was a so so sequel to the Initial D franchise. But it fails terribly on 2 key elements from the original.

1)The one on one dogfights.

This was the best part of the franchise, the prior talking smack and then getting your *ss handed on the race course because Takumi had always an ace under his sleeve. We always knew Takumi would win most of his races, it was all about the how and what new stunt he would use to leave the audience in awe. Nothing of that happens in MF Ghost due to being a long cirtuit with several racers of quite different calibers in skill and machines. This also derives into having little to no interest in most of the other racers that didn't even interact on the track with Kanata, so pretty much the only ones I found amusing/interesting was Nozomi & her brother.

2)The soundtrack

Although it was good news that eurobeat songs would make a comeback, I don't feel any of the songs made any of the segment racing as exciting as any of the ones in the early seasons of Initial D.

I see a lot of people hating on the playboy that picksup 17 year olds, and even though they are on their right to dislike him, I found Shun way more obnoxious with all his fantasies on a girl who he doesn't even know her name and just looking at her like a piece of meat.

I'll probably check on season 2, but it will depend on what other shows will air on the same season. Right now it's not on my top priorities. I'll give this season a low 6/10
KimurahDec 17, 2023 2:13 PM
Dec 17, 2023 2:11 PM
Feb 2015
Hyped for next season, ending was a cliffhanger, should have named this MF ghost season 1 part 1 kek
Dec 17, 2023 2:44 PM

May 2018
noooooooooo why end the 1st season like this T_T T_T T_T

argghhhh time to wait then...

6/10 unfortunately not as good as Initial D but I love the eurobeat
Dec 17, 2023 3:02 PM
Oct 2011
It was good chapter, with a lot of hype, but I didn't like that they cut the chapter right at that part, they leave us with uncertainty xD.
It was nice to see Keisuke's RX-7 out there.

Overall I liked this first season, I think it was a good introduction to the characters and the MFG world, it had a little slower pace than Initial D from my point of view, but it's still a good pace but it seems to me that we are still starting and the good part is not yet here, I expected to see more frenetic races, still I had some nice surprises with Kanata and this anime promises, hopefully the second season comes more intense than this one and arrives soon.
For now I'll go back to watch Initial D again to keep the hype going.

I know that car anime is a niche, even if we consider this as Spokon, Spokon is still a niche, so it's normal that there are few comments here, I would dare to say that the vast majority of us who watched this anime was because we had previously seen Initial D, even so I would be happy if more people joined to watch MF Ghost, regardless of whether they like cars or not.
Before watching Initial D my biggest approach to cars or racing was when I had my first console and played the NFS games and I can say that I liked Initial D quite a lot, anyway it is still an anime and the goal of an anime is to entertain, so I think it fulfilled its goal.

Translated with DeepL from Spanish, (sorry my english is not good)
Dec 17, 2023 3:10 PM

Aug 2016
slow, cliff hanger before finish line or last check point.. weird comments about getting into 17y old ass... creepy. Aiba wanting to "steal" techniques after being all buddy buddy and senpai to Kanata.. dispicable (even more than him wanting to date 17y girl) >.< This show is a hit and miss
Dec 17, 2023 3:39 PM

Jan 2018
Ahh, the cliffhanger... The 86 already improved even though the engine hasn't been touched. Cannot wait for the next season!

Seriously, the fanservice part annoys me a lot.

8/10
Dec 17, 2023 5:17 PM
Nov 2023
I’m a 50+ year old in the north west of England, and have never owned an umbrella in my life. People from the north east region would laugh at anyone wearing long sleeves in the rain or even snow! The girls there go out in sub zero temperatures at night dressed in less than an MF Angel too.
All said with a heavy dose of irony btw…
Dec 17, 2023 5:59 PM

Apr 2022
eurobeat returned, saved anime and left. gonna miss jungle fire.
definitely not as good as initial D but still the superior anime involving cars this season. solid 8/10 and glad the second season has already been confirmed. we will be vibing to more eurobeat.
Dec 17, 2023 6:01 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Damn, loved that last eurobeat but they cucked me with the ending XD

Now to wait for season two haha. At least it's coming in 2024!

Overall, an interesting sequel to Initial D but definitely not as good.
Dec 17, 2023 6:46 PM

Oct 2013
I'm unamused by the way this season has ended. The episode itself was alright, but as a season's finale it was underwhelming and felt to have ended abruptly. Neither a cliffhanger nor an episode teasing in a cool way what viewers should expect to see in the next season and what may come later on during s story arc has just started.... But it was fun, nevertheless.

Apart from those weird fanservice scenes with Angels, that were far from tasteful, and some other things (like forced "Japan is the bestest!" dialogues appearing out of nowhere), it was a nice show. Full of hot or miss moments, but entertaining to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing the second season.
Dec 17, 2023 9:21 PM
Dec 2022
not another cliffhanger! (i was expecting it to be worse tho)
Dec 17, 2023 10:18 PM
Oct 2019
dude is seriously only there to steal his secrets. that's weak af. i'm disappointed

fast forwarded through all of the other qualifiers in order to get to the mc...and then it's a season ending cliff hanger lmaohahaha

i enjoyed this. looking forward to season 2
Dec 18, 2023 2:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
In the qualify phase, stopped the season!!!
I don´t believe, The season went by very quickly, very quickly!

Great season if you like the races!!

9/10

and waiting the second!!!
kekeke

Dec 18, 2023 2:48 AM

Jul 2022
I didn't think Shun could get any more annoying... but here we are.
Dec 18, 2023 5:19 AM
Apr 2021
Hearing takumi's voice made me feel nostalgic
Dec 18, 2023 6:31 AM

Feb 2014
Well, I was expecting the final episode to end on a cliffhanger of some sort and, unsurprisingly, it did so during Kanata's qualifying run. I'm not that bothered by it, since I'm happy that a second season got announced for some time in 2024, so I'll eagerly await until then to find out how Kanata performs overall. =)

One thing he did say that's gotten a bit of attention here is "No one uses umbrellas in England". Usage of umbrellas will differ depending on what part of the UK one either visits or lives in, but since he grew up in Cambridge, where I live not too far away from and have been there many times, I can say that what he said is has a bit of truth to it, but not completely. From my experience, some people are reluctant to use an umbrella if they're going from one shop to another within a 30 second walking distance or don't use one since they're wearing a waterproof jacket. Having said that, there's a good portion of residents or tourists, who aren't in a rush, who tend to use umbrellas more on their own or use a larger one when they're walking with someone else.

As for myself, I'm more of the former, where I'll take a waterproof jacket if the rain is light, but I will take an umbrella if the rain is heavier and more persistent.

Putting that aside, I really enjoyed MF Ghost so far. Granted, Initial D is still fresh in my mind since I completed the Final Stage a few weeks before MF Ghost started airing and I will say that I do prefer Initial D, but MF Ghost is still pretty good. The CG car animation is impressive in most scenes and their engine notes are accurate, which I highly respect the staff for getting that part right.

While I can understand some people to dislike the fanservice, I don't mind it. Initial D is guilty of going down that rabbit hole a few times (Looking at you, Extra Stages) so this is nothing new. Of course, the soundtrack is excellent because it is Eurobeat. I'm biased, so go figure! XD

I'll give MF Ghost an 8/10 overall and I'll eagerly await for the second season when it airs next year.
Dec 18, 2023 7:30 AM
Dec 2023
Decent. 6/10. lim character
Dec 18, 2023 7:31 AM
Feb 2022
It's a terrible way to end the season.
Dec 18, 2023 8:58 AM

Feb 2009
That was the worst moment to end the season... I would rate the episode as 1/5, but... SPITFIRE!
So, 4/5 after all.
Dec 18, 2023 12:10 PM

May 2019
Reply to phantomfandom
I've no problem with MF Ghost getting season 2 but I wish Overtake could get a sequel too.
@phantomfandom
Honestly man, this was the surprise of the season for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, focusing on the aspect of Formula 4 instead of regular street racing. Personally, I enjoyed Overtake slightly more than MF Ghost, but to each their own.

As for this final episode, can't believe they used Go2's Spitfire as the start for Kanata's qualifying, especially as the "SPITFIRE" downbeat was perfectly timed—it's pretty much obligatory to say it as well. That cliffhanger was rather sudden and disappointing, but the use of this song somewhat made up for it. Obviously, my main gripe with MF Ghost is the unreasonable amount of focus on the Angels especially with their character design and amount of male characters hitting on that. If I'm not mistaken, it's not surprising to see that kind of attire for grid girls in motorsports, but it genuinely detracts from the racing experience and I try to not dwell too much on that.

Overall, the season is at a 5/10 for me since the delivery of expectations was high in some episodes and depressingly underwhelming in the rest, particularly with a majority of the casual scenes, but let's see what the production team will be adapting for the 2nd season in whatever month it airs next year. They've set the bar at a modest position balancing the pros and cons, so there's something to expect for the sequel as they ended the preliminary of qualifying.
NekOniiChanDec 18, 2023 12:15 PM
Dec 18, 2023 12:17 PM

Mar 2019
The best thing in this anime:

Dec 18, 2023 5:21 PM
Oct 2022
cool but it need more episodes fortunately there will be a second season
Dec 18, 2023 9:43 PM
Dec 2020
SPITFIRE 🗣️🗣️🗣️🔥🔥🔥🔥
Dec 19, 2023 6:14 PM
Dec 2021
This was a great surprise.
Dec 19, 2023 8:04 PM

Jul 2021
of course this seasons ends with blue balling us again with kanata already climbing ranks even on the uphill section and the tease at the end with the downpour which i think will greatly help kanata get a better time though i'm afraid that they would not consider it because of different driving conditions from everyone else who raced, it would just not be fair.

very happy that this got renewed. looking forward to see kanata's run next year. i hope we get season 2 by next summer at least, i don't wanna wait till next fall :|

overall, 8/10. thoroughly entertaining for an initial d lover.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » MF Ghost Episode 11 Discussion

Fortress_Maximus - Dec 10, 2023

37 by ShadowkillZ »»
May 6, 9:26 PM

Poll: » MF Ghost Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 3, 2023

43 by ShadowkillZ »»
May 6, 8:38 PM

Poll: » MF Ghost Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 26, 2023

40 by ShadowkillZ »»
May 6, 7:19 PM

Poll: » MF Ghost Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Nov 19, 2023

71 by ShadowkillZ »»
May 5, 7:14 PM

Poll: » MF Ghost Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Fortress_Maximus - Nov 12, 2023

54 by ShadowkillZ »»
May 5, 5:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.