Forum Settings
Forums

4kids Entertainment was influential to/and defined anime and animation in the 90s and 2000s.

New
Dec 3, 2023 6:00 PM
Apr 2022
Everyone may think 4kids Entertainment is the worst thing to have ever happened to animation/anime back in the 90s and 2000s, but I think that 4kids Entertainment did more positive than negative. These days I tend to view 4kids as more of a necessary evil than anything else. Yes they made sweeping changes to shows and were lambasted for it, but I think this was important in the long term.

The New York voice talent pool that they got for their shows were phenomenal. They created an entire generation of anime/animation fans and voice acting buffs, to the point where the 4kids/NY cast of such anime like Yugioh and Pokemon are considered the "definitive" casts for many fans. And whether they intended it or not, they also proved there was a market for uncut anime in the states, paving the way for more mature series to be released. And if anything, the 4kids dub of One Piece essentially discredited the entire Macekre/heavy censorship style of localization as a whole.

And also, a lot of the voice actors that 4kids used definitely weren't mediocre, and in fact, are probably some of the best actors in the industry (these are New York voice actors after all). A lot of them had impressive theatre careers or were on Broadway at some point. You can see this by looking and some of the main casts of shows. Look at Dan Green, Wayne Grayson, Schroeder, Sebastian Arcelus, etc. Another example is whoever thought the 4Kids/NY actors would have such fantastic voices!! I almost cried after just finding this; Joey and Tea are awesome! Wish Yugioh would be a sort of musical showcasing these..!

I miss the 4Kids actors, I don't care what they say! They should do this again. 4kids also just had banger songs. The amount of just musical talent they possessed was wild. TMNT 2003 was one of the most well voiced acted and well scripted version of the turtles ever made. Pokemon's dub, let's face it, was iconic. They were the ones that gave us the incredibly memorable theme songs, and when the dub team changed hands to Pokemon USA, there were riots because the dub cast had been changed. Veronica Taylor, Rachel Lillis, Eric Stuart, Maddie Blaustein (RIP), and others were great. Yugioh is the same; I think the 4kids openings/insert songs(especially the battle city era one which added some more mystical elements into it) better represented the show than the Jpop/j-rock of the Japanese version. Also Kaiba's hacker theme slapped. Their Winx Club dub was literally was the 2000s teen girl vibe that was popular during the time and their Shaman King 2001 dub was really the true way to watch the show and the voices were way better than the 2021 dub voices.

Sometimes, I feel like 4Kids Entertainment doesn't get as much credit where it's due, because it was really a company that defined the 90s and 2000s era of anime and animation.
funtime43_trDec 4, 2023 3:07 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 3, 2023 6:01 PM

Sep 2018
I do agree 4kids helped anime reach mainstream levels in US though I highly advise against watching their censored dubs.
Dec 3, 2023 6:09 PM

Jun 2020
I will never forgive them for indoctrinating an entire generation of US kids into believing that dub Digimon theme is somehow good. It's so bad, other countries never used the US version and just stuck with the Japanese songs (original or translated).

On the otherhand, they made the original Pokemon, YuGiOh and Shaman King dub openings (then again they just couldn't stop there, instead also doing dumb censorships or edits to the visuals and dialogue).

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Dec 3, 2023 6:17 PM

Jun 2020
@animegamer245 Oh god you are right. I just mentally paired it with 4kids due to that channel doing similar crimes. I forgot that there were others that were also responsible for this.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Dec 3, 2023 8:03 PM

Jun 2016
They were big true and probably got a lot of people into anime but that's like saying those crappy Tiger LCD consoles weren't that bad because they defined the 90s.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 3, 2023 8:39 PM

Feb 2023
4kids did no good. Whenever anime gets popular in the west, tourists come in and ruin it for the real fans. This also happened starting around 2016 recently, when people on the internet decided to obsess over "femboys" and "traps" in anime after Felix Argyle made his debut. Then, in 2018, My Hero Academia aired on Toonami and made anime even more popular in the west, and brought in even more tourists. So anime should stay niche in the west, and should not be popular. Anime is more fun when its niche.
Dec 3, 2023 9:36 PM

Mar 2008
Not like it was the only one though. It just influenced a younger audience than some other companies, that's all.

ForgotEyeWasHere said:
4kids did no good. Whenever anime gets popular in the west, tourists come in and ruin it for the real fans. This also happened starting around 2016 recently, when people on the internet decided to obsess over "femboys" and "traps" in anime after Felix Argyle made his debut. Then, in 2018, My Hero Academia aired on Toonami and made anime even more popular in the west, and brought in even more tourists. So anime should stay niche in the west, and should not be popular. Anime is more fun when its niche.

I don't get your point on traps that was a thing way before then just not quite as obsessive. I think the problem is more current corporate shaped internet culture and counter culture being shit than just stuff airing on TV since fewer people even have TVs these days.
Dec 4, 2023 11:19 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to traed
Not like it was the only one though. It just influenced a younger audience than some other companies, that's all.

ForgotEyeWasHere said:

I don't get your point on traps that was a thing way before then just not quite as obsessive. I think the problem is more current corporate shaped internet culture and counter culture being shit than just stuff airing on TV since fewer people even have TVs these days.
@traed back in the 90s and 2000s anime was a way to market to kids rather than teens.
Dec 4, 2023 11:30 AM

Mar 2008
funtime43_tr said:
back in the 90s and 2000s anime was a way to market to kids rather than teens.

That isnt even accurate. There was other anime on cable and even local channels than that in the 2000s and 90s.
Dec 4, 2023 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
4Kids gave us shitty dubs. I enjoyed them but I hate that they destroyed any chance Yu-Gi-Oh had of being taken seriously in the West like it was in Japan. And I got a vendetta for them never finishing the dubs of GX and 5D's. I was really pissed back when they decided to just never dub s4 of GX, which forced me to search up the subs and get into subbed anime there after... well; guess they did do smt right. Thanks 4Kids.
Dec 4, 2023 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
According to Animaniacs producer, Anime like Pokemon that were lucrative and bought at a very cheap price, meant the death sentence for WB cartoons because networks had no incentive to invest at their own productions when they could easily import Anime
Dec 4, 2023 12:48 PM

Dec 2016
They blessed the world with Gotta Catch 'Em All, that alone makes them worthy of respect.
Dec 4, 2023 1:25 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to removed-user
According to Animaniacs producer, Anime like Pokemon that were lucrative and bought at a very cheap price, meant the death sentence for WB cartoons because networks had no incentive to invest at their own productions when they could easily import Anime
@petran79 But it’s was the truth anime was becoming more popular than American made cartoons back in the 80s and people were realizing that.
Dec 4, 2023 4:16 PM

Jun 2017
4kids brought us the legend known as Megan Hollingshead. Nuff Said.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Dec 4, 2023 6:47 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to TheBlockernator
4kids brought us the legend known as Megan Hollingshead. Nuff Said.
@TheBlockernator you’re absolutely correct on that one. It also got Carrie Kereran, Cassandra Lee Morris, Crispin Freeman.
Dec 4, 2023 7:39 PM

Feb 2023
Reply to traed

ForgotEyeWasHere said:

@traed First things first, I should point out that they are not "femboys" or "traps", or even "torapuu" (which is not a real word in Japanese), they are otokonoko. Before Felix and Astolfo, they did exist, but nobody cared. And nobody who found them attractive cared if it made them gay or not to do so, because people back then realized that it didn't matter if you were LGBT or not, and that there was nothing wrong with it. There wasn't a prominent debate about "traps" being gay until around 2016. This whole craze also caused many other bad things to happen, inside and outside this fandom.

And many of them, such as Astolfo, are not even feminine boys. He is a typical highbrow French guy from his time period. Lots of rich men dressed like that back then, and so did some poorer people in order to look highbrow and classy. Sadly, some internet people didn't know this, particularly furries, and decided to claim that they were "gay" because they liked Felix and Astolfo. Soon, otokonoko took over anime, and removed fanservice from many shows. Some anime like Blend S did not remove fanservice, and actually had a good otokonoko character, but these were far and few between.

Re:Zero and the "are traps gay" debate are honestly what started the downfall of anime in 2016, which we only started to recover from earlier this year.
Dec 4, 2023 7:42 PM

Oct 2016
They ruined a lot of the stuff they touched. They did well in changing the opening of Pokemon though.
Dec 4, 2023 7:57 PM

Mar 2008
ForgotEyeWasHere said:
First things first, I should point out that they are not "femboys" or "traps", or even "torapuu" (which is not a real word in Japanese), they are otokonoko. Before Felix and Astolfo, they did exist, but nobody cared. And nobody who found them attractive cared if it made them gay or not to do so, because people back then realized that it didn't matter if you were LGBT or not, and that there was nothing wrong with it. There wasn't a prominent debate about "traps" being gay until around 2016. This whole craze also caused many other bad things to happen, inside and outside this fandom.

And many of them, such as Astolfo, are not even feminine boys. He is a typical highbrow French guy from his time period. Lots of rich men dressed like that back then, and so did some poorer people in order to look highbrow and classy. Sadly, some internet people didn't know this, particularly furries, and decided to claim that they were "gay" because they liked Felix and Astolfo. Soon, otokonoko took over anime, and removed fanservice from many shows. Some anime like Blend S did not remove fanservice, and actually had a good otokonoko character, but these were far and few between.

Re:Zero and the "are traps gay" debate are honestly what started the downfall of anime in 2016, which we only started to recover from earlier this year.

Yeah I prefer the term otokonoko (actually there is a lot more terms than that) but I was going by what they were still called among western crowds though I dont recall how old "trap" is but not that old. Yeah people didn't really make a big deal over it originally so much i cant find any threads on MAL before that date though the forum search doesnt work properly so hard to be certain.

Yeah aristocrats dressed like that though worth mentioning some lower class people mocked them over how they dressed.
Dec 4, 2023 8:17 PM

Oct 2013
It was influential, but not for any good reasons. Yeah, it introduced a lot of people to anime, but there's a very good reason they have a not so great reputation. Their legacy only lives on in any capacity through memes, and rightfully so. The only other good they serve is as proof that modern dubs, as much as people bitch about them, could always be worse.
Dec 4, 2023 8:33 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
of course those of us who grew up in that era are going to have a lets be honest.... mostly nostaglia based appreciation for 4KIDS and how much anime they gave us, but im not gonna pretend like i'd ever go back to it EVEN FOR NOSTALGIA, knowing how butchered the shows were

i love how most people agree, yea... sure, it introduced many of us older fans to anime, but now that were older and have seen uncensored/uncut anime, we realize it was still shit lol

the most ill do is listen to some of the fire ass openings like Pokemon and several anime on the FoxBox

EcchiGodMamsterDec 4, 2023 8:46 PM
Dec 4, 2023 8:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Reply to ForgotEyeWasHere
@ForgotEyeWasHere

it was the pandemic that did this lol.. im not saying shows like AoT, BNHA and OPM didnt bring in more normies, but if it wasn't for the pandemic forcing people to stay inside and watch stuff, anime might not be the borderline mainstream medium it is now

and yes, i fucking HATE it... outside the possibilities and instances of increased censorship, theres nothing more annoying than the same people who would have been roasting you for liking anime 10-20 years ago suddenly thinking its cool cause they watched Demon Slayer and thats not even getting into the Twitter and the like, side of it
EcchiGodMamsterDec 4, 2023 8:52 PM
Dec 5, 2023 12:11 AM

Feb 2018
I'd say Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were a big enough of hit. Those 2 got extremely popular in the west, especially in the 2000s. Shows like One Piece they definitely dropped the ball on though. Honestly, I'd still say One Piece still isn't as popular in the U.S. as it should be. Shows like Naruto and DBZ will always be bigger here.
Dec 5, 2023 12:28 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Blackfire2340
I'd say Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh were a big enough of hit. Those 2 got extremely popular in the west, especially in the 2000s. Shows like One Piece they definitely dropped the ball on though. Honestly, I'd still say One Piece still isn't as popular in the U.S. as it should be. Shows like Naruto and DBZ will always be bigger here.
@Blackfire2340 The only series they treasured was Pokemon. They dropped the ball on YuGiOh and made a show for teenagers into one for babies, and never bothered to even finish dubbing GX or 5D's, eventually they got sued by Konami, TV Nihon, NAS; because they were found out selling illegitimate bootleg DVDs of 5D's on the side, a practice they always had but were just not busted until that moment. Please understand that 4Kids is a shitty company that tried to withhold income from the Japanese companies that were giving them the license to broadcast their product. They were going under and ended up filing for bankruptcy not once, but twice. TV Tokyo and NAS intended to terminate 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh license because they allegedly hid some of their income.

Also how they treated Sonic X was atrocious imo. So in general what they touched, which wasn't named Pokemon, they destroyed the reputation overseas beyond recognition to make low effort abridged dubs. Thank god I did not grow up on the 4Kids dubs of YuGiOh's otherwise I too would probably not respect this franchise.
removed-userDec 5, 2023 12:40 AM
Dec 5, 2023 12:31 AM

May 2020
Gotta catch em all is a banger of a song & Jason Paige is a legend because of it!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Dec 5, 2023 1:04 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to removed-user
@Blackfire2340 The only series they treasured was Pokemon. They dropped the ball on YuGiOh and made a show for teenagers into one for babies, and never bothered to even finish dubbing GX or 5D's, eventually they got sued by Konami, TV Nihon, NAS; because they were found out selling illegitimate bootleg DVDs of 5D's on the side, a practice they always had but were just not busted until that moment. Please understand that 4Kids is a shitty company that tried to withhold income from the Japanese companies that were giving them the license to broadcast their product. They were going under and ended up filing for bankruptcy not once, but twice. TV Tokyo and NAS intended to terminate 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh license because they allegedly hid some of their income.

Also how they treated Sonic X was atrocious imo. So in general what they touched, which wasn't named Pokemon, they destroyed the reputation overseas beyond recognition to make low effort abridged dubs. Thank god I did not grow up on the 4Kids dubs of YuGiOh's otherwise I too would probably not respect this franchise.
@Fromaseed

People mainly liked Yu-Gi-Oh for Yugi and Kaiba, if you take that away then a lot of the interest goes away. That's why GX and 5D never took off. It would be like having Dragonball Z without Goku or Pokemon without Ash, it would just feel off. Which is why sequels like GT and Master Quest still stuck with those characters. Especially since most people watching the show during that time period are likely kids or young teens, it's important to keep that continuity. Censorship aside, the TV show still spiked popularity for Yu-Gi-Oh, as did Pokemon. Though Pokemon games were probably a bigger factor than the show. Regardless, a kid or teen isn't going know or care that characters are supposed to be holding guns. They definitely won't care about any legal issues a company is going through.
Dec 5, 2023 1:20 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Blackfire2340
@Fromaseed

People mainly liked Yu-Gi-Oh for Yugi and Kaiba, if you take that away then a lot of the interest goes away. That's why GX and 5D never took off. It would be like having Dragonball Z without Goku or Pokemon without Ash, it would just feel off. Which is why sequels like GT and Master Quest still stuck with those characters. Especially since most people watching the show during that time period are likely kids or young teens, it's important to keep that continuity. Censorship aside, the TV show still spiked popularity for Yu-Gi-Oh, as did Pokemon. Though Pokemon games were probably a bigger factor than the show. Regardless, a kid or teen isn't going know or care that characters are supposed to be holding guns. They definitely won't care about any legal issues a company is going through.
@Blackfire2340 This is not true. GX and 5Ds were both extremely successful and even overshadow the original in Japan, GX to this day is one of the most popular ones. All of these spinoffs btw were made by the very same team and Kazuki Takahashi worked on these anime himself. Maybe for Americans it felt like that, but the rest of the world did not feel like this. And the point isn't that kids would care, the point is 4Kids was a shady company which gave less of a fuck about the products they were supposed to market and it showed. In fact after their second file for bankruptcy and rebranding as 4K-Media they were given the rights to dub Zexal ect but this time, Konami being tired of their bullshit, the ultimatum was to dub it fully, wow.

Also, it is clear you don't give a damn or respect this franchise, don't worry that is the norm in the West thanks to 4Kids, but 4K did much more than just censor guns, they rewrote the entire story, changed character motivations etc. GX s2 onward was turned into a gag dub, and 5D's final arc was rewrote into a chimera monstrosity for them not to bother to adapt the real final arc. And YuGiOh intended audience was not little kids, the demographic was the same as any other shonen, like Bleach or Naruto. The show deals with genocide and classism ffs, 4Kids babified the entire thing to the point it became retarded.
removed-userDec 5, 2023 1:56 AM
Dec 5, 2023 1:53 AM
May 2018
The only reason it did "more good than bad" is solely thanks to Internet. Without the global network opening us to the original content, we would have no idea how bad their editing, censoring and americanization was in their shows. Imagine changing onigiris into sandwich because you think it would make the show sell less... They tried to close their people to their own culture, and it affected Europe too since we'd very often get their version instead of the original one (because of course, that's for America to decide what Europeans can watch...).

And what they did to Sonic X, lma-fcking-o. They utterly destroyed Shadow's scenario by removing Maria's death. In their version, Maria lives happily on Earth, but her grandfather and Shadow still want to destroy it... It makes absolutely no sense.
And oops! they did it again in the last season, with that red-haired girl that becomes friends with Shadow but dies in a war in the original version. Her death is meaningful for Shadow's character, so, of course, they removed it. "BecAUsE It'S Too ViOLenT foR KidS"!
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Dec 5, 2023 2:13 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to removed-user
@Blackfire2340 This is not true. GX and 5Ds were both extremely successful and even overshadow the original in Japan, GX to this day is one of the most popular ones. All of these spinoffs btw were made by the very same team and Kazuki Takahashi worked on these anime himself. Maybe for Americans it felt like that, but the rest of the world did not feel like this. And the point isn't that kids would care, the point is 4Kids was a shady company which gave less of a fuck about the products they were supposed to market and it showed. In fact after their second file for bankruptcy and rebranding as 4K-Media they were given the rights to dub Zexal ect but this time, Konami being tired of their bullshit, the ultimatum was to dub it fully, wow.

Also, it is clear you don't give a damn or respect this franchise, don't worry that is the norm in the West thanks to 4Kids, but 4K did much more than just censor guns, they rewrote the entire story, changed character motivations etc. GX s2 onward was turned into a gag dub, and 5D's final arc was rewrote into a chimera monstrosity for them not to bother to adapt the real final arc. And YuGiOh intended audience was not little kids, the demographic was the same as any other shonen, like Bleach or Naruto. The show deals with genocide and classism ffs, 4Kids babified the entire thing to the point it became retarded.
@Fromaseed

Well yeah, we are talking about the West. That’s the entire reason you would even have a discussion about 4Kids. Why would Japan care about a censored English version of something? My point is that is why it didn’t blow up here beyond the Yugi Moto Journey. Most Yu-Gi-Oh fans will admit they stopped watching after the switch. Even LittleKuriboh, the creator of the abridged series, made constant jokes on how different the series became.

I mean you clearly love Yu-Gi-Oh, that’s fine. I’m just telling you why the side stories didn’t blow up here in the west. It has nothing to do with 4Kids because that version was clearly successful and brought popularity to the series. One Piece is a far better example of 4Kids failing to bring exposure to the west because of how bad and censored it was. Shows aside; the card game is still very popular here as well.
Dec 5, 2023 2:27 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to removed-user

Fromaseed said:
GX and 5Ds were both extremely successful and even overshadow the original in Japan
I don’t think that GX and 5Ds were popular in Japan. People in Japan like the original more than the sequel series.
Dec 5, 2023 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Blackfire2340
@Fromaseed

Well yeah, we are talking about the West. That’s the entire reason you would even have a discussion about 4Kids. Why would Japan care about a censored English version of something? My point is that is why it didn’t blow up here beyond the Yugi Moto Journey. Most Yu-Gi-Oh fans will admit they stopped watching after the switch. Even LittleKuriboh, the creator of the abridged series, made constant jokes on how different the series became.

I mean you clearly love Yu-Gi-Oh, that’s fine. I’m just telling you why the side stories didn’t blow up here in the west. It has nothing to do with 4Kids because that version was clearly successful and brought popularity to the series. One Piece is a far better example of 4Kids failing to bring exposure to the west because of how bad and censored it was. Shows aside; the card game is still very popular here as well.
@Blackfire2340 This is fare. I agree.

funtime43_tr said:
I don’t think that GX and 5Ds were popular in Japan. People in Japan like the original more than the sequel series.

Last time I heard, GX and Zexal were considered the best, then the original manga.
Dec 5, 2023 5:26 AM

Feb 2023
Reply to EcchiGodMamster
@ForgotEyeWasHere

it was the pandemic that did this lol.. im not saying shows like AoT, BNHA and OPM didnt bring in more normies, but if it wasn't for the pandemic forcing people to stay inside and watch stuff, anime might not be the borderline mainstream medium it is now

and yes, i fucking HATE it... outside the possibilities and instances of increased censorship, theres nothing more annoying than the same people who would have been roasting you for liking anime 10-20 years ago suddenly thinking its cool cause they watched Demon Slayer and thats not even getting into the Twitter and the like, side of it
@EcchiGodMamster Agreed. Especially at the last sentence. The worst kinds of these tourists are those who bashed us for years for liking anime, and now think that they can speak over us because they watched some mainstream anime.

And there probably would still have been a spike of anime popularity in 2020, even without COVID. Without the pandemic, the Tokyo Olympics still would have occurred, and would have also brought in tons of tourists. Many people in Japan wanted the Olympics cancelled, and I wish they did get cancelled. It is quite hard to tell if it would have been a bigger or a smaller spike.

So while COVID did absolutely cause a bunch of tourists to show up, I believe it started around 2018. COVID just really blew it up.
Dec 5, 2023 6:12 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@EcchiGodMamster Agreed. Especially at the last sentence. The worst kinds of these tourists are those who bashed us for years for liking anime, and now think that they can speak over us because they watched some mainstream anime.

And there probably would still have been a spike of anime popularity in 2020, even without COVID. Without the pandemic, the Tokyo Olympics still would have occurred, and would have also brought in tons of tourists. Many people in Japan wanted the Olympics cancelled, and I wish they did get cancelled. It is quite hard to tell if it would have been a bigger or a smaller spike.

So while COVID did absolutely cause a bunch of tourists to show up, I believe it started around 2018. COVID just really blew it up.
@ForgotEyeWasHere

yea man, the Tokyo Olympics was also part of the issue since it meant a flood of normies potentially invading Japan, the pandemic defintely reduced the potential amount though

but its nerd culture in general got a huge boost from covid, not just anime, and dont forget V-Tubers (although anime community related), Streamers and games like Amoung Us also exploded during that time as well as other types of TV series
Dec 5, 2023 6:12 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Reply to Blackfire2340
@Blackfire2340

are you serious? lol

I see One Piece shirts and car stickers as well as merch just as much as i see Dragonball or Naruto, not to mention all the people i know watching it

zoomers from my view seem more likely to watch OP than DB even with the difference in show length, DB fans "tend to" be us older watchers, not that zoomers dont watch it
EcchiGodMamsterDec 5, 2023 6:16 AM
Dec 5, 2023 6:40 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@animegamer245

I'm just going by what i see and who i ask, and im ALWAYS seeing, KNY, JJK, BNHA, DBZ, OP, Naruto, Pokemon pretty evenly

and most younger or newer anime fans i ask have seen KNY, JJK, Naruto, and or are currently watching OP

many zoomers seem to think DB is too old or have no interest in the Pokemon anime

again though, this is just from my perspective

btw, im talking about the anime and what people are willing to show off, ie car stickers and tshirts, not games
Dec 5, 2023 7:59 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to removed-user

Fromaseed said:
GX to this day is one of the most popular ones.

Then why did only the classic series get a new movie in 2016? What you're saying obviously can't be true.
その目だれの目?
Dec 5, 2023 8:10 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Blackfire2340
@Fromaseed

Blackfire2340 said:
how different the series became.

I mean you clearly love Yu-Gi-Oh, that’s fine. I’m just telling you why the side stories didn’t blow up here in the west.

I didn't like Yu-Gi-Oh much to begin with, so I was thrilled to see the franchise transform into something different. I regularly watched GX throughout its 1st season, only to drop it in season 2 after they changed the airing schedule multiple times. It's a shame 4kids never dubbed the whole thing, as I liked their dub too.
その目だれの目?
Dec 5, 2023 8:30 AM

Aug 2013

@ForgotEyeWasHere Add to that the fact that these tourists are demanding changes in anime and Japanese creations because they are not "in line with current standards." That is, they are simply calling for censorship and self-censorship. Not surprisingly, this is the same sort of people who are localization-apologists. Another distinguishing feature is still that they often adhere to communist and socialist philosophies.
https://twitter.com/linkasobi/status/1697982815827022073
Here's a good tweet about how to spot a tourist.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 5, 2023 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Lucifrost
Fromaseed said:
GX to this day is one of the most popular ones.

Then why did only the classic series get a new movie in 2016? What you're saying obviously can't be true.
@Lucifrost The 2016 movie was based on the manga canon and served as an epilogue to the manga, and it was celebrating the manga 20th anniversary in Japan. It was a sort of passion project by Kazuki Takahashi, that did not pay off. The first 3 series were popular enough to warrant the Bonds Beyond Time movie from 2010s celebrating the anime anniversary. The DSoD movie had a lot of problems behind the scenes as well, and the currently airing Arc-V at the time suffered greatly in quality cause it lost some of its animators who went on to produce the movie. And also a lot of content Kazuki Takahashi wanted to include got cut by executives in favor of... well nostalgia pandering and Link / Vrains promotion, some of it survived in the form of the two chapter "Transcend Game" manga that came out prior to the DSoD film that explains key details and how it ties in. But stuff like Kaiba and Kisara's romance, will never be a focus sadly.

Hope this answers some questions.

Also the reason the other 3 sequels did not get a movie, well aside from Zexal, which obliterates Arc-V and Vrains, Gallop also gave up on the franchise and they had to prematurely cancel Vrains. They are done with YuGiOh. Now the series has moved to a new studio and with entirely new team (minus the Duel writer) working on it since Sevens. Where as before that you had pretty much the same people working on the animes in rotation since the first one.
removed-userDec 5, 2023 8:44 AM
Dec 5, 2023 8:57 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to funtime43_tr
Fromaseed said:
GX and 5Ds were both extremely successful and even overshadow the original in Japan
@funtime43_tr

I don't follow GX at all, so I can't really confirm that. Fromaseed seems like a bigger fan of that series, so I feel like he would know more about it. I just know for sure that GX and 5DS definitely were not popular in west, at least compared to the original Yu-Gi-Oh series.
Dec 5, 2023 9:02 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to EcchiGodMamster
@Blackfire2340

are you serious? lol

I see One Piece shirts and car stickers as well as merch just as much as i see Dragonball or Naruto, not to mention all the people i know watching it

zoomers from my view seem more likely to watch OP than DB even with the difference in show length, DB fans "tend to" be us older watchers, not that zoomers dont watch it
@EcchiGodMamster

Yeah, zoomers. This is the early 2000s, we are talking about millennials lol. Millennial popular anime is typically DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Death Note you get the idea. One Piece didn't get as big here until streaming became the norm and everyone had access to the subbed version of One Piece. Back when the 4Kids version was on Toonami in the 2000s, no one was watching that shit lol. And honestly even then I don't think it has reached the popularity of Naruto in the west. Naruto and DBZ were extremely mainstream in the U.S.
Dec 5, 2023 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Blackfire2340
@funtime43_tr

I don't follow GX at all, so I can't really confirm that. Fromaseed seems like a bigger fan of that series, so I feel like he would know more about it. I just know for sure that GX and 5DS definitely were not popular in west, at least compared to the original Yu-Gi-Oh series.
@Blackfire2340 To specify this is only anime wise. The manga still outshines any spin-off as a property, and the TCG is its own beast.
Dec 5, 2023 10:51 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Reply to Blackfire2340
@EcchiGodMamster

Yeah, zoomers. This is the early 2000s, we are talking about millennials lol. Millennial popular anime is typically DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Naruto, Bleach, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, FMA, Death Note you get the idea. One Piece didn't get as big here until streaming became the norm and everyone had access to the subbed version of One Piece. Back when the 4Kids version was on Toonami in the 2000s, no one was watching that shit lol. And honestly even then I don't think it has reached the popularity of Naruto in the west. Naruto and DBZ were extremely mainstream in the U.S.
@Blackfire2340

i guess i don't really know how popular One Piece was back then, cause yea.. I only remember like one or two people talking about it in HS, back in like 2004/05ish

unlike Naruto whos manga my brother actually had back then, i dont remember anyone with One Piece although im pretty sure i'd seen it, maybe at the book store or something

so yea thats probably true, without streaming it may not have seen its western success which Naruto didnt need cause people just inherently loved it from the get go, although i had classmates who hated the Toonami Naruto dub

and now that i think about it remember someone in HS saying they thought One Piece was "retarded" LOL

i to this day have NEVER gotten into Bleach and never watched it as a teen, i was probably watching Anime Unleashed on TechTV G4 by the time it was out here or maybe it was by the time we moved states, so maybe i just missed out on it

theres a few 4KIDS anime i missed out on like Spider Riders and Dinosaur King lol

godd damn this thread makes me feel old af lol
EcchiGodMamsterDec 5, 2023 10:55 AM
Dec 5, 2023 11:33 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to rsc-pl
@ForgotEyeWasHere Add to that the fact that these tourists are demanding changes in anime and Japanese creations because they are not "in line with current standards." That is, they are simply calling for censorship and self-censorship. Not surprisingly, this is the same sort of people who are localization-apologists. Another distinguishing feature is still that they often adhere to communist and socialist philosophies.
https://twitter.com/linkasobi/status/1697982815827022073
Here's a good tweet about how to spot a tourist.
rsc-pl said:
Add to that the fact that these tourists are demanding changes in anime and Japanese creations because they are not "in line with current standards." That is, they are simply calling for censorship and self-censorship. Not surprisingly, this is the same sort of people who are localization-apologists.
so you’re trying to say that anime would have been treated better in Anerica if it wasn’t so Americanized to hell and back?
Dec 5, 2023 2:06 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@animegamer245

thats easy to say until you realize Japanese people are the second largest users of twitter to the US
Dec 5, 2023 2:09 PM

Jan 2022
They almost singlehandedly discredited official localizations and dubs for a long time.
Dec 5, 2023 2:12 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to mo_lave
They almost singlehandedly discredited official localizations and dubs for a long time.
@mo_lave And how? People were complaining about bad localizations since the 60s. Remember Astroboy? 4kids were making dubs, they’re were making adaptations.
Dec 5, 2023 2:12 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
They were most certainly influential. They pushed many (like me) into discovering fansubs. Also, they served as a good example of how not to do localization.
BatoKusanagiDec 5, 2023 2:28 PM
Dec 5, 2023 2:20 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to funtime43_tr
@mo_lave And how? People were complaining about bad localizations since the 60s. Remember Astroboy? 4kids were making dubs, they’re were making adaptations.
@funtime43_tr See @BatoKusanagi's post just below yours. One Piece and other big names in the 90s came out in the cusp of mainstream acceptance of anime. Anime watching outside of Japan (in the US at least) in the 60s-early 90s is a very niche hobby. Perhaps the release of Dragon Ball Z marked a change.
Dec 5, 2023 2:45 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to BatoKusanagi
They were most certainly influential. They pushed many (like me) into discovering fansubs. Also, they served as a good example of how not to do localization.
@BatoKusanagi remember, 4kids was the last gasp of Americanization. It was visibly antiquated even by the 2000s.
Dec 5, 2023 3:17 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013

I grew up with a lot of them, especially Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon, and Sonic X. But even as a kid, thanks to the internet, I knew that they censored everything, and generally made it worse.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are there any anime that you think should have ended sooner?

Anjuro - May 26

28 by Zarutaku »»
14 minutes ago

» Which female anime character has the best drip?

Anjuro - 48 minutes ago

5 by Anjuro »»
16 minutes ago

» Which anime character would you most like to have a philosophical debate with?

Wendoka - 44 minutes ago

3 by Serafos »»
19 minutes ago

» Is Shojo Anime making a comeback?

RedTea33 - 5 hours ago

9 by alshu »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » How dominant is anime in the content you consume?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

29 by MeguSae38 »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.