Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 12, 2023 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
So this show does judge certain characters based on their social status. 

Ray does prove himself to be a hard worker eager to improve himself though. I just didn't see him as a type of guy interested in..gardening. Seems we got the main cast displaying their skills again. Among the main cast, Elisa is a character I'm a little curious about she seems too shy. Hope she grows more confidence.
Jan 12, 2023 10:00 AM

Apr 2014
Well, the first few seconds of the episode startled me for a bit. lol
btw, this anime has some obsession with muscle, somehow.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 12, 2023 10:13 AM

Jun 2019
yah let’s not talk about that opening-
Jan 12, 2023 10:36 AM

Apr 2017
Wow wth was the first bit. Actually thought I accidentally opened up a hentai.
Jan 12, 2023 11:04 AM

May 2015
to many naked man.
Jan 12, 2023 11:28 AM

Jul 2022
This one's fun. Raging OP & ED.

The not-so-subtle implication of some intense room-mate love-making in the opening scene was hilarious and the contrasting (masculine/feminine) double clubs serve to illustrate how completely grounded and well-rounded in the adult real world our admirable MC is.

The openly-resentful classicist classmate (and his crew) is/are too easy to dislike, but fantasy anime's gotta have some tropes or it'll all fall apart. Still seems a touch lazy, though. Too easy for a masterpiece, but good enough to move the story forward.

If anyone needs me, I'll be chillin' in the Kafka Forest this next week, digging on the cute bugs.
Jan 12, 2023 11:36 AM

Jul 2020
too many naked men. dropping this
Jan 12, 2023 11:38 AM
Jan 2021
I’ve been really enjoying this series so far. The episodes seem to be “5minutes long” for me which is usually an indication that I’m enjoying the series.
I’ve guessed from the beginning that the MC grew up in the military and mountains after loosing his family and has significant experience and skills which we are getting treated to every episode as well as the people around him.
Knowing MAL, the score for the series will remain low till the end but I’m gonna stick with the series for now. 
Jan 12, 2023 11:43 AM
Oct 2021
I am noticing something here. issues with muscles being shown and mostly naked men. isn't it interesting how it's ok to show mostly to totally naked women but not the men. what happened to equality. I say it's about time. they are just drawn so good. good job artists
Jan 12, 2023 11:57 AM

May 2021
This was such a bad writing... "today's magic lecture is a bit difficult... name 8 categories of magic" and everyone looks at him as if he invented magic itself. Wow, MC has ability to retain knowledge.
Jan 12, 2023 12:07 PM
Mar 2018
Surprisingly alot more enjoyable than the first episode.
Jan 12, 2023 12:25 PM

Oct 2014
when you give good pacing to nothing, it turns to... nothing.
there were room to create for the animators here, I feel like they don't even have enough people here.
Jan 12, 2023 12:27 PM

Sep 2018
I'm downgrading my opinion from "Lame" to "Fuck, this is utter dross"

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 12, 2023 12:32 PM

Jun 2015
That cool calm look on Rays face suggests its not one of the first times he faced one of these bad boys!

Edit: I just read the comments above. Whats the matter with naked men, and by naked, they were topless. Stop with the homophobia, there is nothing wrong with a naked male. Deal with it unless you bathe in your pajamas, in which case I recommend therapy.
Roch2001Jan 12, 2023 12:35 PM
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jan 12, 2023 1:14 PM
Oct 2021
I hope the ERC will be a regular occurrence. The whole muscle bit has been the only source of amusement of this show so far.
Jan 12, 2023 2:29 PM

Feb 2019
that opening scene between Ray and Evy was just pure...delight! lol
Jan 12, 2023 2:39 PM
Personified

Sep 2022
That first damn scene lol was that really neccesary. Also Ray just making every girl slowly fall in love with him!

Jan 12, 2023 2:39 PM

Feb 2022
I checked out the first few chapters of the manga and the teacher seems pretty plain and like a background character compared to the manga version. The teacher in the manga portrays her as a lazy/powerful tomboy and honestly the opening scene to the test is better in the manga. One of the students complains that the test is too dangerous as past students died, at that exact moment a giant snake almost kills that student and the teacher saves her. Made the forest seem more like a real dangerous place compared to the stroll it was made to look like in the anime.

The dudes in the environmental research club look way older than students should, like they are on their 15th year of a 4 year.
Jan 12, 2023 2:49 PM

Jul 2022
Ray is slowly gaining a reputation.

The more I look at this, the more I feel that the MC doesn't fit the anime, I guess it makes it "unique" in a sense
Kek

Jan 12, 2023 3:52 PM
Oct 2010
The OP and ED are fire.

The rest.... eh. It feels like they threw together a bunch of characters that have a single defining trait and nothing else, while that may not be all that unusual this is taking it to borderline parody levels. Twintail tsundere? Check. Nothingburger mc? Check. Conflicted noble? Check. Arrogant noble pack complete with ahole evil sneering boss? Check. Oh and let's never forget the dude musclebros that people have a problem with for some reason? Check. The list could go on and on.

May as well just rename this to Stereotype Checklist with a bold green checkmark to accent how checked it is!

But the OP and ED are fire. I'll give it that. 
Jan 12, 2023 4:06 PM

Dec 2018
not wanting to see a parade of naked men is homophobia? standards for outrage have really gone downhill in the last 10 or 20 years, christ. anyways all ecchi is trash anyways, male or female. i love how everything is apparently hate speech. there's literally a genre for this crap. perhaps people were surprised and weren't expecting it.
Jan 12, 2023 4:09 PM

Feb 2019
Probably the most generic fantasy this season but still enjoyable. Art is sketch af tho. That scene with Ray in the sun had his head looking so big for his body lmao.

The girls are cute. Half elf girl is really adorable. Amelia seems like she’ll be the first person to find out who ray really is. Claris is a clutz but really cute too.

That altium dude is annoying as fuck tho lmao like bro why are you so angry at this man’s whole existence damn just worry about yourself.
Jan 12, 2023 4:45 PM

Nov 2022
This anime might look goofy but it's soulful. Man I miss battle harems so much..
Jan 12, 2023 5:41 PM

Feb 2018
Sussy beginning lmao.

Never ending plan to watch list...

Jan 12, 2023 5:43 PM
Apr 2013
Uh, things sure escalated quickly. Towards the end anyway.

So after a fairly quiet first ep we get whatever this is. It seems they're keeping most of the stuff for next time.
So there definitely seems to be some kind of antagonist, so whatever they're planning.

So far rebecca and claris havent gotten that much screentime, but neither has amelia or elisa.

The preview seems to, I'm not entirely sure about the pacing plan but oh well uh.

I sure wasnt expecting ray to join TWO clubs though, like whut? Kind of a strange choice though, I wonder if there's some meaning behind it. Also kind of funny how one is all guys and the other is all girls. Not sure if there's actually going to be a follow up.

Amelia is already starting to suspect, and most likely hmm. Elisa is so cute. Screentime wise things are reasonably balanced for now, though not that much happened this ep.

They're already dropping some hints, but it might be awhile or might not even be until near the end of the season that ray tells everyone. (Or they could flip it and he blabs very soon or not even at all)
Because of the fairly large cast they haven't been quite able to sit down since they seem intent on balancing the screentime so far.

Still I'm wondering like just how dangerous this "practical exam" is. Oh well you know these kinds of shenanigans happen.
It does seem kind of interesting that, we "know" that ray obviously has some kind of magic, but so far he's pretty into the whole physical side.

Rebecca also mentioned there's some kind of tournament happening as well, but hmmm. Well in any case something is probably going to happen in ep 4 or 5 after they wrap up the practical exam next ep.

Ray definitely has some uh, quirks. Its kind of funny how he actually says out loud that he's fine with "communicating" with women.
Im assuming its not like, overly intentional but some of the stuff he says is really funny and/or low key weird but still acceptable.

[Off topic: The animation still seems slightly shaky, and I'm saying that as someone who usually doesnt overly comment on it. Its not terrible though, not yet at least.]

CocoaGalaxyJan 12, 2023 5:49 PM
Jan 12, 2023 5:51 PM
Apr 2022
Funny episode )))
Jan 12, 2023 9:58 PM

Feb 2020
Oh wow the music when the exercise begins and into the battle against the fly thing is so clearly a reference to the A-Team theme and that's so cute, it even progresses the same way.
Jan 12, 2023 10:40 PM

Mar 2013
This is getting better, I guess...
Ray White has weird hobbies like muscles and muscles... lol... maybe the pacing is too fast...?

The characters still felt too unnatural for me and I'd say the writing or script is too forced...

However, I'm liking this series after this episode.

It's decent enough.

The antagonistic classmate of his has a weird personality though.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jan 12, 2023 11:10 PM
Sep 2020
Droebie said:
I checked out the first few chapters of the manga and the teacher seems pretty plain and like a background character compared to the manga version. The teacher in the manga portrays her as a lazy/powerful tomboy and honestly the opening scene to the test is better in the manga. One of the students complains that the test is too dangerous as past students died, at that exact moment a giant snake almost kills that student and the teacher saves her. Made the forest seem more like a real dangerous place compared to the stroll it was made to look like in the anime.

The dudes in the environmental research club look way older than students should, like they are on their 15th year of a 4 year.
There's also the conflict between Dina and Environmental Reserach club leader that was resolved thanks to Ray's cooking show.
Gio G. Lingad
Jan 13, 2023 1:17 AM

Oct 2017
Is he gonna tell his friends? Anyway time for serious battle.
Jan 13, 2023 2:20 AM

May 2013
My goodness. I watched both episodes in one sitting. This is painfully average in every way. Waybe even worse than that in some aspects.
Jan 13, 2023 2:44 AM
Jan 2015
Ahhh Yes. Muscles and aesthetic body. Most weeb can't relate to it.
Jan 13, 2023 3:34 AM
Oct 2018
I love how humble and calm the MC is. His male buddy is also a nice wingman.

I don't care if it's a generic fantasy OP MC or generic animation, it's enjoyable enough for me to watch.
Jan 13, 2023 3:55 AM
Viking Gnome

Dec 2018
The start of this episode was full of hilarity, and I was pleasantly surprised about how humorous this anime seemed to be at times throughout the episode.

I was not expecting to smirk and let out the number of laughs I did throughout this episode, which was a very welcome surprise.
We can only hope they continue on that track moving forward as well.

It has been a long time since I have seen this level of gym-bro content and I am living for it already.

The anime so far seems to be light-hearted at times, but with that underlying sense of gravity that comes from Ray's past experiences and flashbacks as we get to those bit by bit.

The character developments are slow, but it has the potential to improve. We are still very early on, after all.

The plot seems very basic and underbuilt at this stage, but we start to see some hints at what it may become in the second half of this episode.

We did finally get a decent action scene with Ray, though brief, of him showcasing his overpowered nature.
The next episode looks to also start strong with him going up against a seeming 'super-charged' monster, where I am sure he will pull out some of his tricks and power to blast it out of the water with ease.

One of the things I am enjoying about this show so far are the occasional undertones with Ray and how much he might be struggling with his background, experiences, and mainly survivor's guilt due to his past.

Some developments seem to have happened very quickly in this episode and without much explanation.
One example is the comment he makes when his new friend asks if he can join his team, to which he replies 'are you sure, as it's common knowledge I am not that great with sorcery'.

I do not remember any instance where this was established for us as the viewer. The only thing that comes close is the short scene from episode 1 where he seemingly struggles or is unable to make an ice rose with sorcery, though it is supposed to be basic or easy.

I do not believe this automatically translates to it suddenly being common knowledge that he is not good at it as a whole.
I will not fuss too much about it as it isn't overly egregious, but I would like the cohesion to be a bit better between episodes moving forward.

The 2nd episode was fairly enjoyable, and the show, as well as Ray, are growing on me bit by bit.
Jan 13, 2023 6:46 AM
Apr 2019
Somehow I thought the second episode was more boring that the first. Except the last minutes. 
Finally something interesting happens and then the episode is over. 

Jan 13, 2023 7:51 AM

Jun 2016
I thought at some point in the episode that the song "Onegai Muscle" would start playing... is this the second season of Dubbell Nan Kilo Moteru disguised as a fantasy? XD
Jan 13, 2023 8:36 AM
Nov 2020
Is that Michiru, Haruka, Hotaru, Ami, Chibi-usa, and Makoto from Sailor Moon????
Jan 13, 2023 9:05 AM

Aug 2019
Ngl this might be the first one I drop this season lol

I think the only part I liked in this episode was that ending with what I'm assuming is the spy, but that's about it.
Jan 13, 2023 9:43 AM
Jul 2022
Ray is a rizz god fr
Jan 13, 2023 11:57 AM
May 2020
ray using his "ordinary" rizz there
Jan 13, 2023 12:31 PM
May 2017
Yeah this shit stinks, dropped
Jan 13, 2023 12:34 PM
Jul 2015
Not sure what I was expecting but this sh.. ain't worth the time. Low effort, low IQ anime.
Jan 13, 2023 2:13 PM

Dec 2018
complete garbage

Jan 13, 2023 4:46 PM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
It's not enough to only attract men with waifus and that barely-clothed ending visual.

Let's add some MUSCLES and a bit of sexy scream and MUSCLES and more MUSCLES

(How to rate an anime with 0/10?)
Jan 13, 2023 4:49 PM
Sep 2017
I loved it. Ray has a lot of charisma. He entered the group of strong men and at the same time the group of flower afternoon party - perfectly balanced, lol
Jan 13, 2023 5:27 PM

Sep 2019
Another generic I'm a saint MC who do nothing bad, hide my real power because why not (oh my friends are in danger but I gonna have to hide my powers tehe~).

This kind of MC is outdated even Bandai went and created Thunderbolt and IBO where MC can ruthlessly kill their enemies to survive.
C6R5 Raiden
Jan 14, 2023 8:06 AM
Jan 2022
It was so bad that it was good, I certainly wasn't expecting the first few minutes of the episode to be about buff hunters.
Jan 14, 2023 10:46 PM

Jul 2017
The beginning notes of Ray and Evi working out with buff muscles, these are WTF moments of logic thrown out of the window.

The stereotypical scene of the newbie joining clubs, and I'd swear the Onegai Muscle moments are like if Golden Kamuy got the generic Isekai treatment, as such with Ray entering the Environmental Research Club. WHAT. THE. HELL. Plus, the Flower Garden club of plant maintenance, Ray feels comfortable doing it...and its president-cum-student council president Rebecca has an obsession with muscles. The weird one being Claris who likes bugs, she's the oddball that Ray is so casual to be like a friend magnet.

Also, how does one master so much different magic that frankly we don't even bother to remember, only Ray can. Anyways, the practical exercise in Kafka Forest for a team of 4, Evi is naturally in, and while Elisa is roped in too, it's Amelia that gets everyone's attention. Nevertheless, Ray's group can rest easy on the gold hunter himself, and even in dangerous situations, can typically excel, as such with the cryptic Alium and his party.

Frankly, is anyone even trying with this generic-as-molasses show? Feels like a very amateurish effort at the hand of doing adaptations.
Jan 15, 2023 1:41 AM

Aug 2014
Looks like there is a mysterious organization infiltrating the exams
Check My AnimeList (or click my signature)
My Main Genres: Adventure, Action, Fantasy
My Sub Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, H&E

Check My Profile, my ranking
What I Watch This Season
Best Character & WAIFU This Season
Best OP/ED Song This Season
Jan 15, 2023 4:30 AM

Feb 2011
this anime is hot dog water for sure. he's flawless in every way, sculpted like a greek god, but random flash backs to 'nam happen and he's not a noble?

hard core gary stu. 
1.5/10.

twintail girl is the only redeeming feature in this

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai wo Suberu Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2023

48 by katakumplat »»
Jun 2, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai wo Suberu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2023

52 by katakumplat »»
Jun 1, 8:11 AM

Poll: » Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai wo Suberu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2023

78 by ST63LTH »»
May 24, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai wo Suberu Episode 10 Discussion

AkeZZZ - Mar 9, 2023

28 by ST63LTH »»
May 24, 3:28 AM

Poll: » Hyouken no Majutsushi ga Sekai wo Suberu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2023

37 by ST63LTH »»
May 23, 10:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.