Forum Settings
Forums

What video game/visual novel anime adaptation deserves the B̶r̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶h̶o̶o̶d̶ Kanon 2006 treatment?

New
Jun 30, 2021 12:21 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Okay everyone... good evening ✩

Remakes of popular TV series, movies, games, et cetera have been and will forever be a thing—and same goes for those who desire said remakes. The reasons for why people would want a remake for something may vary, but it is certainly a thing that many want; the anime community is no exception for this as anime remakes are an extremely popular topic here on the MyAnimeList forums.
And on a somewhat similar level of popularity on this site is the topic of anime based on video games, whether it's what games people want to see adapted or just general thoughts on such productions... despite the fact that a considerable portion of the community considers video game adaptations to be complete failures (based on this thread and that thread).

But... because many video game anime adaptations seem so unpopular with the community, I feel the need to ask a certain question.

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

Before I ask, here is some context behind the thread's title.
I'm sure many will be wondering why "Brotherhood" is in strikedthrough text, essentially being replaced with "Kanon 2006" instead. Well, most of the anime remake threads on here will often reference Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, a highly acclaimed remake/re-adaptation of the original Fullmetal Alchemist manga from 2001. Because FMA:B is constantly cited as being far more faithful to its source material than the 2003 anime adaptation, it is not only considered by many to be the superior way to experience the story, but also as the anime community's gold standard of the ultimate, ideal anime remake.
Though with the 2019 remake of Fruits Basket being so highly received, especially with its recent Final season, I expect it to be mentioned as much as FMA:B in the future.
I feel like FMA:B is becoming a bit overused as an example, and since this is a thread catered towards video game adaptations specifically, I thought it best to reference another anime for originality points. For those who don't recognize the anime in question, Kanon (2006) is Kyoto Animation's anime adaptation of the very first visual novel game from the visual novel company known for jerking many tears out of many people Visual Arts Key, famous for works like Clannad. The reason why this anime is considered as a remake is because Kanon had already received an anime adaptation from Toei Animation a few years earlier.

pictured: left is Kanon 2002, right is Kanon 2006.

I have not played the original visual novel, but I have seen all of KyoAni's adaptation and only a few episodes of Toei's adaptation... and while I will get back to continue watching it soon, I honestly can see why so many people straight-up ignore Toei's adaptation... it's gotten to the point where it didn't even get officially released outside of Japan while KyoAni's adaptation did. Toei adapted the whole game into 1 cour (12 episodes) and made a few but already apparent story changes just from the first episode, which I can imagine was not approved of by devout fans of the source material. The short runtime also means that there was less time for fun slice-of-life hijinks and jokes before the arcs started, and the art style, while a bit closer to the source material, honestly doesn't look as cute and memorable as the one KyoAni's adaptation used.

So in this way and the better reception (at least based on MAL), you could say that Kanon (2006) is literally the FMA:B for Kanon.

And because visual novels like Kanon are technically video games with their own video game ratings, I decided to include "visual novel" in the title. :)

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

And so, with all that context, here is the question:
What anime adapted from a video game or visual novel would you like to see remade?

Since many seem to have problems with a lot of video game and some visual novel anime adaptations, I thought it was worth asking if they were worth considering the remake treatment, just as much as many of the anime people often mention on the forums. Do you think that it's possible that the anime industry could, one day in the future, actually deliver with a proper experience on-par with the original game, like how KyoAni succeeded with Kanon (2006)? Are you even willing to give—no, believe in a second chance......?

Here are some additional questions, answer them if you would like:
  • Alongside the game/VN-based anime you mentioned, please give a bit of background info behind it and the source material. What was the game/VN like, and what about the anime in question made you want it to be redone?
  • Was the anime in question totally unfaithful to the original game/VN? If yes, how so (preferably share as spoiler-free as possible)?
  • What were some missed opportunities (like CUT-OUT CONTENT) that you felt the anime should have done?
  • Was the runtime/cour length or pacing the main issue in your opinion? If not, what was it? Why do you think the anime failed to impress you, either in entertainment, adaptation, or even both? Was it perhaps due to poor visuals/animation quality, CGI usage, dated technology, etc...?
  • Did the anime in question actually have some redeeming qualities that you might miss in a future remake/re-adaptation?
  • Do you have a specific studio in mind that you would want the game/VN to be picked up by (again)?
  • Who do you think would be a more suitable director (or composer, character designer, scriptwriter, etc.) for re-adapting the game/VN? Or would you prefer the anime's director again?
  • Would you die if a remake happened? How would you react if your remake wish (maybe along with whatever specifics you wanted) actually came true?

I would answer, but it's just too obvious and would take up too much time to read (XD)... I'm far more interested in reading everyone else's posts anyway.

Happy discussing ★

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2021 12:44 AM

May 2017
I’ll start by saying that in no way do i think that higurashi was bad. I love that franchise. But. There is one thing that messed with me.

I read some of the first visual novel onidamashi (i think its called) and i can safely say that the 4 episodes it had in the … i want to say 2006 adaptation… were, altho really well simplified, you did lose some of the connection and in depth view of the characters. While, yes, it does redeem itself over time, i would have loved to see more of their interactions. Because each of their stories are really complex and, maybe not unique but definitely interesting. The other reason i would love a remake, is that there is a certain feeling with watching one episode per week that i missed. Id absolutely love to be able to say “i was there when higurashi was airing” its a similar feeling to when i saw higurashi gou or sotsu thats airing the first of july. Its hype. It gets you through the week. Its an extra layer of fun
Jun 30, 2021 5:26 AM
Dec 2017
I only have a few good video games turned into anime i think personally, its Persona 4,Bayonetta Bloody Fate,Street Fighter 2 and also, Steins Gate being the best out all of video game to anime adaptations ever.

Hmm..... it would obviously be The World Ends With You Anime Adaptation since it was pretty rushed af with having like multiple days crammed into one episode and for actually being darker than the original game like dude, there was blood in it and alot of the jokes like aside from the infamous pants off scene were cut out from the show as well.

Also the action was just lame for the most part like you already can see it ahead that they'll win.

I mean sure it was cool seeing most of the o.g voice cast being back but i actually think the dialogue of the anime since i watched the subbed version and i recall seeing a term "salty" which wasn't even in the original game not going to age well since millenial/gen-z slang doesn't age well and i would have rather they'd abstain from adding "memes" that aren't even the ones that sadly were cut from the anime along with tin-pin slammer.

Also yeah the characters, i mean Beat wasn't even as dumb or impulsive as he was in the game and that was mainly due to the pacing of the anime is something i also noticed as well. Neku being polite is obviously based on the Japanese version instead of the more edgier version we all know.

Also, the animation was fucking cancer like i would rather production i.g shaft or trigger doing it instead of the studioes that we got and also where the fuck was "someday" or "deja vu" in the anime as well? I mean yes i was glad seeing the original not the game composer being back but he was so underused for this anime. And also, the director well i would honestly rather have the director from Kill La Kill do the series instead since he has a history of energetic edgy shit like Dead Leaves to name a few. And i also rather have the original writing team do the anime instead of the ones they hired and i highly doubt, they did played the original game.

For other honoree mentions here's what i have.

-occultic nine (12 episodes for a long game as any of the sciadv series is not a good idea hell that also applies to chaos head and chaos child too and at least robotic notes as boring as it is still was able to cover the main story.)
-devil survivor 2 the animation ( You know it was even directed by the same director of angel beats and like twewy it was rushed af and butchered story and characters)
-fire emblem (Yeah there was an anime series but it was 2 episode only and it was based off shadow dragon)
-devil may cry (There is an anime adaptation to it but it was pretty boring due to the lame story of each episode and the action was just underwhelming as well )
-Disgaea (Same thing as twewy rushed af and only 12 episodes and the plot strays from the original story)

And yeah, i'm still not at all looking forward to neo the world ends with you at all whatsoever since todays Square Enix is absolute cancer and instead thats why i decided i rather play Ehrgheiz God Bless The Ring and actually i would rather purchase either Skyward Sword or World End's Club instead for my switch. (World Ends Club is also made by the danganronpa and the nonary games developers and thats on my ptw list)

Also to the anime onlys

Incredible thread as always and thank you for making myanimelist a much less boring place in a sea of retarderd poltical larpers in CE, fanboy spergout wars, sex threads, forum game drama, ranking/rating threads and top 10 and x or y threads and its always really great fun to be posting on them. :)

Disapeared_GhostJun 30, 2021 7:08 AM

Jun 30, 2021 5:49 AM

Feb 2016
Fario-P said:
Do you think that it's possible that the anime industry could, one day in the future, actually deliver with a proper experience on-par with the original game, like how KyoAni succeeded with Kanon (2006)? Are you even willing to give—no, believe in a second chance......?

It’s been done a few times with visual novels. Clannad, Planetarian, and Steins;Gate have all been praised in this manner. I’m not sure about Robotics;Notes, as not many reviewers have compared the anime to the game.
But such adaptations are impossible for most games, as anime have no gameplay.

Many of the disappointing adaptations I’ve seen are rushed. Code: Realize and The World Ends With You would have been great anime if they had double the episodes.

The only problem with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon adaptations is that they are incomplete. If Explorers of Sky is ever picked up for a full series, I want it made by the exact same team as the previous episodes.

But what Brotherhood and Fruits Basket have in common is that both remakes are more faithful renditions of beloved classics. Of the games I have played, ef is the one that would benefit most from such a remake. The visual novel was developed by Makoto Shinkai’s games studio, which means it looks like Your Name. Shaft made the TV anime, which means it looks like Madoka Magica and Monogatari. They’re nothing alike! Just imagine a full series made by Comix Wave Films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1DaACZbygk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqatSSF5Az4
And that’s not all! Though the anime and game end the same way, Shaft made so many minor changes to the story and characterization. I can’t view Shaft’s ef as anything other than fanfiction.
LucifrostJun 30, 2021 7:47 AM
その目だれの目?
Jun 30, 2021 6:38 AM

Aug 2010
Fario-P said:
I would answer, but it's just too obvious and would take up too much time to read (XD)... I'm far more interested in reading everyone else's posts anyway.

I assume your answer be The World Ends With You? xD actually I'm curious about what you want to change from the anime? I didn't play the game so I can't compare. I think the anime was interesting and really enjoyed the first half, although by 2nd half something felt off, but I'm not sure what or why haha.

Lucifrost said:
But what Brotherhood and Fruits Basket have in common is that both remakes are more faithful renditions of beloved classics. Of the games I have played, ef is the one that would benefit most from such a remake. The visual novel was developed by Makoto Shinkai’s games studio, which means it looks like Your Name. Shaft made the TV anime, which means it looks like Madoka Magica and Monogatari. They’re nothing alike! Just imagine a full series that looks like a Comix Wave Films movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1DaACZbygk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqatSSF5Az4
And that’s not all! Though the anime and game end the same way, Shaft made so many minor changes to the story and characterization. I can’t view Shaft’s ef as anything other than fanfiction.

I agree with this, though I liked the Ef anime when I watched it, but after reading/playing the visual novel, I think the anime did not do it justice. I don't think changing things in adaptation is that bad, but it really changed the atmosphere because Ef's whole visual novel looks as beautiful as the opening. I think KyoAni or P.A. Works would be better choices to adapt this visual novel than Shaft. Although on the other hand, I also don't know if adapting Ef into another anime closer to the VN will do anything since the VN itself already looks like a (very long) anime. It has more movements and CG images more than usual VN.

My #1 pick for this topic would be Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai. The VN is quite highly regarded by VN fans, and I can see just from the plot itself. It has a unique and interesting plot that makes me keep watching and enjoying the whole 12 episodes, even though the direction is really bad. The anime seems like a random ecchi show first, and the actual plot comes second. I didn't play the VN so I can't really tell about the pacing, but the source is more than 50 hours long while the anime is only 12 episodes, so I imagine the anime was very rushed. I'm not very informed with studios and staffs, so I'm not really sure, but I think JC Staff may be suitable to adapt the remake. In particular, the staff for Little Busters! since the anime was very faithful to the visual novel, and I would like a remake like that for Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai.
Jun 30, 2021 8:44 AM

Jan 2017
Dies Irae and Tsukihime.
Dies Irae is Nazis being cool, I guess? It's anime is laughably bad.
Then there's Tsukihime. The anime's bad enough that people don't want to accept it's existence.
Jun 30, 2021 9:06 AM
Aug 2020
Man I don't know what video game adaptations mean but why do those girls have those big eyes. TBH they look cute and scary at the same time
Jul 2, 2021 8:33 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Crow_Black said:
Hmm..... it would obviously be The World Ends With You Anime Adaptation since it was pretty rushed af with having like multiple days crammed into one episode and for actually being darker than the original game like dude, there was blood in it and alot of the jokes like aside from the infamous pants off scene were cut out from the show as well.

Also the action was just lame for the most part like you already can see it ahead that they'll win.

I mean sure it was cool seeing most of the o.g voice cast being back but i actually think the dialogue of the anime since i watched the subbed version and i recall seeing a term "salty" which wasn't even in the original game not going to age well since millenial/gen-z slang doesn't age well and i would have rather they'd abstain from adding "memes" that aren't even the ones that sadly were cut from the anime along with tin-pin slammer.
........*sigh* agreed, agreed, agreed...

Though if there was "salty" written in the subtitles, I'm pretty sure that's something Funimation added and NOT the fault of The Animation's staff.
For some reason, Funimation and Crunchyroll really love to do weird shit with some of their subtitles. I still remember when Crunchyroll "subtitled" the Ace Attorney anime all those years ago... not only did they just replace all the Japanese names with the English ones (somewhat understandable at least), but they also COMPLETELY just said "f*** it" and literally directly copy-pasted nearly the entire script from the English version of the games with little to no variation. It's very obvious to anyone who's played the original games beforehand, and it's extremely obvious whenever some characters occasionally decide to speak in English.
NO, Crunchyroll, you cannot frickin' convince me or anyone else that Redd White was saying "perusifying" and "no problemo, you comprendostand?" when the actual Japanese voice actor is very clearly saying "READING" and "NO PROBLEM, YOU UNDERSTAND?" in fairly accented but still clear English!

Also, the animation was fucking cancer like i would rather production i.g shaft or trigger doing it instead of the studioes that we got and also where the fuck was "someday" or "deja vu" in the anime as well? I mean yes i was glad seeing the original not the game composer being back but he was so underused for this anime. And also, the director well i would honestly rather have the director from Kill La Kill do the series instead since he has a history of energetic edgy shit like Dead Leaves to name a few. And i also rather have the original writing team do the anime instead of the ones they hired and i highly doubt, they did played the original game.
I wouldn't say it was "complete cancer", but the animation and shot composition weren't really anything special.
I do miss the original game's writing too though.

-devil survivor 2 the animation ( You know it was even directed by the same director of angel beats and like twewy it was rushed af and butchered story and characters)
Know nothing about this game nor this anime, but seeing Angel Beats' director mentioned here like this makes me a bit sad.

Also to the anime onlys
PLAY THE ORIGINAL GAME ON THE DS!!!
can you say this again louder for the people in the back

Incredible thread as always and thank you for making myanimelist a much less boring place in a sea of retarderd poltical larpers in CE, fanboy spergout wars, sex threads, forum game drama, ranking/rating threads and top 10 and x or y threads and its always really great fun to be posting on them. :)
No, thank you again for all your support! I really do try...

god i still hate how Shiki was butchered in KH:DDD, why the hell am i still using a GIF from the game anyway? lmao

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶
Lucifrost said:
Fario-P said:
Do you think that it's possible that the anime industry could, one day in the future, actually deliver with a proper experience on-par with the original game, like how KyoAni succeeded with Kanon (2006)? Are you even willing to give—no, believe in a second chance......?

It’s been done a few times with visual novels. Clannad, Planetarian, and Steins;Gate have all been praised in this manner. I’m not sure about Robotics;Notes, as not many reviewers have compared the anime to the game.
Oh, I didn't know that Planetarian's anime was that well received. I haven't played the game but no one really talks about it.
As for the "no gameplay" part... *sigh* I guess that's just sad but true...

Many of the disappointing adaptations I’ve seen are rushed. Code: Realize and The World Ends With You would have been great anime if they had double the episodes.

The only problem with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon adaptations is that they are incomplete. If Explorers of Sky is ever picked up for a full series, I want it made by the exact same team as the previous episodes.
Agreed with TWEWY... and oh hell yeah, I'd love a complete TV adaptation of Explorers of Sky!
Though I kinda want to see Studio Colorido picking it up instead of OLM. Nothing wrong with OLM, especially not nowadays with how good the recent seasons have looked, but Colorido has recently produced some good-looking movies and even some Pokémon shorts of their own; so I think it'd be cool to see Mystery Dungeon depicted with their aesthetic.

Just ask Junichi Sato to be the director for such an adaptation, and ta-daaaa we got ourselves a potential masterpiece here

But what Brotherhood and Fruits Basket have in common is that both remakes are more faithful renditions of beloved classics. Of the games I have played, ef is the one that would benefit most from such a remake. The visual novel was developed by Makoto Shinkai’s games studio, which means it looks like Your Name. Shaft made the TV anime, which means it looks like Madoka Magica and Monogatari. They’re nothing alike! Just imagine a full series made by Comix Wave Films.

Wow, really?? :O
I've never seen/played ef so I sadly don't know what you mean, but I always thought Shaft's OPs were beautiful...
...though tysm for showing me these CoMix OPs, I think you might have convinced me to want CoMix Films to pick up this VN for adaptation too lol

Shirayukin said:
Fario-P said:

I assume your answer be The World Ends With You? xD actually I'm curious about what you want to change from the anime? I didn't play the game so I can't compare. I think the anime was interesting and really enjoyed the first half, although by 2nd half something felt off, but I'm not sure what or why haha.
........*sigh* yeah...
I would say why, but not only have Crow_Black and Lucifrost summed up some of my thoughts in their post, but I'm actually working on a review for The Animation right now. I can send you a link to it when I finish if you're interested in reading it :)

I agree with this, though I liked the Ef anime when I watched it, but after reading/playing the visual novel, I think the anime did not do it justice. I don't think changing things in adaptation is that bad, but it really changed the atmosphere because Ef's whole visual novel looks as beautiful as the opening. I think KyoAni or P.A. Works would be better choices to adapt this visual novel than Shaft. Although on the other hand, I also don't know if adapting Ef into another anime closer to the VN will do anything since the VN itself already looks like a (very long) anime. It has more movements and CG images more than usual VN.
...Ah I see... again, I haven't seen/played it, so Lucifrost's and your posts were both very enlightening.

My #1 pick for this topic would be Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai. The VN is quite highly regarded by VN fans, and I can see just from the plot itself. It has a unique and interesting plot that makes me keep watching and enjoying the whole 12 episodes, even though the direction is really bad. The anime seems like a random ecchi show first, and the actual plot comes second.
That's a bit of a shame, the MAL picture for it doesn't look all that bad... don't think I would actually watch this considering I don't like ecchi, but yeah...
Fario-PJul 2, 2021 8:37 AM
Jul 2, 2021 8:55 AM

Feb 2016
Fario-P said:
Oh, I didn't know that Planetarian's anime was that well received.

That's because it's just my own personal opinion. I can't speak for others, because I too never see anyone discussing the anime. But Planetarian is the 1 Key game I've played, and I really see no difference between the game and the anime.

I've never seen/played ef so I sadly don't know what you mean, but I always thought Shaft's OPs were beautiful...
...though tysm for showing me these CoMix OPs, I think you might have convinced me to want CoMix Films to pick up this VN for adaptation too lol

Just a tiny correction, but the (now defunct) game developer is called "minori." A Comix Wave Films adaptation would likely look similar, as Makoto Shinkai himself worked on the game's openings. (he had no involvement with the story, however)
その目だれの目?
Jul 2, 2021 10:15 AM
Feb 2014
I want nothing more than a proper Bungou to Alchemist adaptation that treats the original source material and it's fans with the proper care and respect it deserves and not that horrible shit we got in 2020!!!

1. Alongside the game/VN-based anime you mentioned, please give a bit of background info behind it and the source material. What was the game/VN like, and what about the anime in question made you want it to be redone?

Right, so, Bungou to Alchemist is a Japanese online browser based game, where the player assumes the role of the "Alchemist Librarian" who has the power to bring back famous writers(Japanese mostly but they have also started adding quite a few writers from other countries now) to fight against monsters known as taints, the taints seek to corrode and destroy the literature of the world and it's the writers job to delve inside of tainted books to erase the taints that are trying to corrode it.

The game was a lot more wholesome, there are a lot of small interactions/stories between the writers themselves and between the writers and the player character which is mostly absent from the anime.

The anime made up some bullshit things that were never mentioned in the game and it decided that it would be a good idea to throw all the wholesomeness out the window and replace it with edgy crap!!!

2. Was the anime in question totally unfaithful to the original game/VN? If yes, how so (preferably share as spoiler-free as possible)?

Yes it was!!! In the game the writers are the actual souls of the writers reincarnated but they decided to pull the bullshit that they are "astral spirits" from the very first episode of the anime! Also, somehow the writers are actually locked up in the library and can't leave, so they try to escape from it(in vain might i add) which was never the case in the game!!!

The anime adaptation also paints the player character as a cold and distant master who couldn't give a rat's ass about the wellbeing or happiness of any of the writers and doesn't even provide them with basic human food for godness sake!!!

That wasn't the case in the game at all!!! You have a dining room where your writers can replenish their energy by eating food, which was different depending on the time of the day as well as season!

The Writers too seem either indifferent or even outright disliking the Alchemist Librarian, as proof of trying to constantly escape from there!

In the game, most writers were not hostile or where even on friendly terms with the player character and you could even build up the relationship with them by giving them gifts!!!

The anime also decided to progressively turn more dark and culminated into the shit that was episode 7, where i finally had enough of it and decided to forever drop it into the shadow realm! >:(

3. What were some missed opportunities (like CUT-OUT CONTENT) that you felt the anime should have done?

For one, they didn't even include all the starter writers, they were only four and one of them was left out of the adaptation, like, hello? What about the people who actually have this character as their starter, how would they feel if only their starter was left out? I mean, it wasn't my starter that got left out but it's still a bad af decision to make!

They should have focused on showing the actual backstories of the writers as well as the wholesome interactions/stories between them as many of them had friendships and rivalries that were not really touched upon.

Also a better relationship between the writers and the player character, like, make it more like in Touken Ranbu Hanamaru where the player character(Saniwa) was actually respected and loved by their swords and wasn't portrayed like a tyrant as is the case of the player character(Alchemist Librarian) in the embarrassing 2020 adaptation of Bungou to Alchemist!!! >_<

Also they actually wasted a whole freaking episode where they showed the lives of some no name characters from the "real world" that nobody freaking asked for and that barely had any relationship to the actual plot, and was just an embarassing attempt to get people interested in literature if they weren't already.....*face palm*

3. Was the runtime/cour length or pacing the main issue in your opinion? If not, what was it? Why do you think the anime failed to impress you, either in entertainment, adaptation, or even both? Was it perhaps due to poor visuals/animation quality, CGI usage, dated technology, etc...?

Perhaps, a longer runtime would have facilitated more characters to be added and more fleshed out stories and/or plot, but they could have made it work even with a single cour if they only took cues from Touken Ranbu Hanamaru about how to do it properly!!!

The anime failed because of the shit edgy grimdark plot that it chose as well as all the bullshit liberties it took with the original source material like making the Alchemist Librarian a tyrant who doesn't care for the writers wellbeing and making the writers unhappy about being at the library and trying to escape from it!!!

Animation was decent, not Bones or Ufotable level but better than the flashing lights battle in Namu Amida Butsu lol.

Character design was okay for most of the characters but Dazai looked a bit more childish because of the larger eyes as oppsed to the game design and others, like Shuusei, didn't look like themselves at all!

4. Did the anime in question actually have some redeeming qualities that you might miss in a future remake/re-adaptation?

Not really, no. If at least it would have had one ed per episode each one sung by one of the character's seiyuu, then that would have been something i would have missed, but they missed capitalizing on this opportunity as well, not that it would have saved the shit show that they made but at least it would have been something i would have missed lol.

5. Do you have a specific studio in mind that you would want the game/VN to be picked up by (again)?
Who do you think would be a more suitable director (or composer, character designer, scriptwriter, etc.) for re-adapting the game/VN? Or would you prefer the anime's director again?

Hmmm for studios maybe Bones (Since they perfectly adapted fellow writer inspired manga Bungou Stray Dogs + stellar animation guaranteed!) MAPPA, Production I.G (They made a good apatation of Sengoku Basara), Ufotable (Because i actually liked Katsugeki Touken Ranbu unlike many other fans it seems...) or Doga Kobo (Since they made Touken Ranbu Hanamaru) I have no idea about the director, character designer or scriptwriter, though it would be nice if the music was composed by Yuki Kajiura!

As for the second question, ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!! No way in hell am i letting that incompetent director and staff of the 2020 adaptation touch my Bungou to Alchemist again!!!

5. Would you die if a remake happened? How would you react if your remake wish (maybe along with whatever specifics you wanted) actually came true?

Yes i would scream in delight at the top of my lungs!!! ^-^
DauphineJul 2, 2021 10:29 AM
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 2, 2021 10:36 AM

Aug 2016
Yu-no should get adapted by the same team who were in charge of Mushoku Tensei making use of the 1996 character designs. the last adaptation was average at best and doesnt make justice to how great the original game was.
MichaelJacksonFeb 10, 2023 6:50 PM
:v
Jul 2, 2021 9:00 PM
Dec 2017
Fario-P said:
Crow_Black said:

........*sigh* agreed, agreed, agreed...

Though if there was "salty" written in the subtitles, I'm pretty sure that's something Funimation added and NOT the fault of The Animation's staff.
For some reason, Funimation and Crunchyroll really love to do weird shit with some of their subtitles. I still remember when Crunchyroll "subtitled" the Ace Attorney anime all those years ago... not only did they just replace all the Japanese names with the English ones (somewhat understandable at least), but they also COMPLETELY just said "f*** it" and literally directly copy-pasted nearly the entire script from the English version of the games with little to no variation. It's very obvious to anyone who's played the original games beforehand, and it's extremely obvious whenever some characters occasionally decide to speak in English.
NO, Crunchyroll, you cannot frickin' convince me or anyone else that Redd White was saying "perusifying" and "no problemo, you comprendostand?" when the actual Japanese voice actor is very clearly saying "READING" and "NO PROBLEM, YOU UNDERSTAND?" in fairly accented but still clear English!

I wouldn't say it was "complete cancer", but the animation and shot composition weren't really anything special.
I do miss the original game's writing too though.

Know nothing about this game nor this anime, but seeing Angel Beats' director mentioned here like this makes me a bit sad.

Also to the anime onlys
PLAY THE ORIGINAL GAME ON THE DS!!!
can you say this again louder for the people in the back

No, thank you again for all your support! I really do try...

god i still hate how Shiki was butchered in KH:DDD, why the hell am i still using a GIF from the game anyway? lmao

Lucifrost said:

Oh, I didn't know that Planetarian's anime was that well received. I haven't played the game but no one really talks about it.
As for the "no gameplay" part... *sigh* I guess that's just sad but true...

Agreed with TWEWY... and oh hell yeah, I'd love a complete TV adaptation of Explorers of Sky!
Though I kinda want to see Studio Colorido picking it up instead of OLM. Nothing wrong with OLM, especially not nowadays with how good the recent seasons have looked, but Colorido has recently produced some good-looking movies and even some Pokémon shorts of their own; so I think it'd be cool to see Mystery Dungeon depicted with their aesthetic.

Just ask Junichi Sato to be the director for such an adaptation, and ta-daaaa we got ourselves a potential masterpiece here

Shirayukin said:

........*sigh* yeah...
I would say why, but not only have Crow_Black and Lucifrost summed up some of my thoughts in their post, but I'm actually working on a review for The Animation right now. I can send you a link to it when I finish if you're interested in reading it :)

...Ah I see... again, I haven't seen/played it, so Lucifrost's and your posts were both very enlightening.

My #1 pick for this topic would be Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai. The VN is quite highly regarded by VN fans, and I can see just from the plot itself. It has a unique and interesting plot that makes me keep watching and enjoying the whole 12 episodes, even though the direction is really bad. The anime seems like a random ecchi show first, and the actual plot comes second.
That's a bit of a shame, the MAL picture for it doesn't look all that bad... don't think I would actually watch this considering I don't like ecchi, but yeah...

I forgot to mention Xenosaga (Part of the xeno series like Xenogears and Xenoblade.) and it was rushed af as well and the animation was really fuzzy but the art did made up for it and well the o.g voice cast for subs was back.

PLAY THE ORIGINAL GAME AND STOP SUPPORTING GOD FORSAKEN ISEKAIS AND PLAY SOMETHNG THATS UNIQUE WITH BOTH STLYE AND SUBSTANCE!!!

Yeah it would be sad to see a talented guy like the angel beats director have that kind of blemish on his track record and he's also done the danganronpa anime adaptations as well.

No surprise to see crunchyroll/funimation would do something as retarded as that with their dialogue subs and just wait when you see what Steins Gate subs by funimation compared to the fansubs with what i watched big fucking yikes when you see it.

Anyways, anytime Farioster!! XDD

Jul 5, 2021 5:29 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Hey everyone, I just finished writing my very first anime review!

Since it's actually related to this topic, I decided to mention it here and bump this thread for more discussion at the same time! @Shirayukin, if you're still interested in reading my thoughts for The Animation like you asked earlier, you can just read this review instead!

Hooray for shameless self-advertising!!!!!!

Lucifrost said:
Fario-P said:
Oh, I didn't know that Planetarian's anime was that well received.

That's because it's just my own personal opinion. I can't speak for others, because I too never see anyone discussing the anime. But Planetarian is the 1 Key game I've played, and I really see no difference between the game and the anime.
Ah I see... well either way I'm definitely gonna have to watch it sometime.

Just a tiny correction, but the (now defunct) game developer is called "minori." A Comix Wave Films adaptation would likely look similar, as Makoto Shinkai himself worked on the game's openings. (he had no involvement with the story, however)
Ah shit, somehow assumed "Shinkai's studio" as CoMix ahahahaaa wonder how that could have happened ;)
Sucks that the studio's gone now though.

Hoooo boy this next one's a doozy, very detailed post is still much appreciated though hahaha
Dauphine said:
I want nothing more than a proper Bungou to Alchemist adaptation that treats the original source material and it's fans with the proper care and respect it deserves and not that horrible shit we got in 2020!!!
I don't think I've actually heard of Bungo and Alchemist before your post...
It's a bit of a shame to hear what happened though even if I've never played or watched it... a whole story where the souls of famous irl writers fight random fantasy monsters sounds odd, but I would be lying if I didn't say it sounds like an interesting premise. I imagine the anime had to change it to astral projections to avoid lawsuits for serious references towards real people or something. Can't understand the change for the main character based on what you said though, that's just sad.
Jul 5, 2021 7:06 PM

Aug 2010
Fario-P said:

Since it's actually related to this topic, I decided to mention it here and bump this thread for more discussion at the same time! @Shirayukin, if you're still interested in reading my thoughts for The Animation like you asked earlier, you can just read this review instead!

Thank you for writing the review and for tagging me! It's a great insight for me as an anime only. I do think the premise is really interesting, and the characters are likeable, which makes me stay until the end although I can tell that the animation and pacing wasn't the best. I must agree that the setting of Shibuya isn't utilized very well here, I remember forgetting that the main setting was Shibuya until a character mentioned it.. and that is really unfortunate.
Jul 5, 2021 8:25 PM

Mar 2018
Umineko! It needs a full adaptation. Unabridged so ~100-150 episodes with a decent budget. Same with berserk
Jul 6, 2021 3:16 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Shirayukin said:
Fario-P said:

Thank you for writing the review and for tagging me! It's a great insight for me as an anime only. I do think the premise is really interesting, and the characters are likeable, which makes me stay until the end although I can tell that the animation and pacing wasn't the best. I must agree that the setting of Shibuya isn't utilized very well here, I remember forgetting that the main setting was Shibuya until a character mentioned it.. and that is really unfortunate.
Ahaha.... why, you're very welcome!! Thank you for taking the time to read it too~

Thinking back now, I feel like I forgot to write in a few things... like when the few times the show actually remembers to show crucial information, it's either too late or practically feels like an obvious infodump; or mentioning that certain character quirks were removed; or more details about the actual characters as presented in the show; or the obvious "you are allowed to like this if you want, this is just my opinion and it is also just my opinion that you should totally play the game if you actually liked anything in the show at all"... but as much as you can tell that this review was made to be a well-thought-out vent stress reliever for me, I knew that I shouldn't dwell on it forever (yeah, I mean it, I seriously did not feel good after it ended, and it's not how it was after watching an amazing anime... *sigh*), that the review would probably get removed by mods if it talked too much about the source material, and that I had already spent a lot of time and word count on it lol. I'm just glad that it was still as informative as I intended it to be... I just hope it doesn't actually spoil anything despite how much I typed!

And yeah, that is really unfortunate... SubaSeka/TWEWY just really knew what it was doing and yet also knew how to be subtle about some things, and proper implementation of the setting is definitely one of those things whoever worked on this game knew what to do. This game was actually how I first learned about the Statue of Hachiko; I knew someone who was going to Japan some considerable time after I had found this game, and while they asked about attractions to visit I had suggested the aforementioned statue. It had been a long time since they came back (they still miss Japan lol) when, being the forgetful person I am, I had asked them how they knew about the statue again. They looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Wasn't it you who told me about Hachiko??"...... it had been so long since I had played that part of the game and I had become more forgetful than I ever did in my life, and yet when they said that I had suddenly remembered the game talking about it. Which also made me remember The Animation not doing anything like that at all, which in turn made me even more sad about it.
It's yet another element that makes TWEWY a treasure for me and many others, haha.

...well, I've already said it before, but... I really just hope you play the original game sometime. It's really that zetta good.

Jul 6, 2021 4:04 PM

Feb 2016
Fario-P said:
This game was actually how I first learned about the Statue of Hachiko

I have yet to meet anyone else who knows about the Moyai; it's not even shown in the anime.
その目だれの目?
Jul 6, 2021 4:26 PM

Jul 2020
I would say Air.
I really enjoyed the anime, but now that I'm reading the VN, I can see that Air's adaptation left a lot to be desired, mainly when it comes to characters and pacing. In the anime, Minagi and Kano are pretty forgettable, but with more episodes, their arcs could be properly adapted. On top of that, so many important parts are left out due to the poor pacing, and that makes it more confusing than it needs to be. I think, with upgraded visuals, more faithfulness to the VN, and an episode count of maybe 25-40 episodes, it could become a masterpiece.

And if Kanon was able to get a remake, then so can Air. Hopefully that's what will be announced at the end of Kaginado!

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Jul 7, 2021 6:32 AM

May 2021
Since I have a very high opinion of certain BL visual novels and take their faulty adaptations to heart, I guess it's time to hate on a horrible Togainu no Chi adaptation.

Fario-P said:
Alongside the game/VN-based anime you mentioned, please give a bit of background info behind it and the source material. What was the game/VN like, and what about the anime in question made you want it to be redone?

Togainu no Chi is a relatively old BL visual novel, released in 2005 by Nitro+Chiral, a subsidiary of Nitroplus, focused on developing BL visual novels. Most known things done by Nitroplus are probably Steins;Gate visual novel and Fate/Zero light novel series, created in collaboration with other studios, as well as a pretty famous Saya no Uta VN, written by equally famous Gen Urobuchi, who was responsible for many other things, like Psycho-Pass and Madoka Magica. And although he didn't write the story for Togainu no Chi, his extensive help and guidance helped this first BL visual novel by Nitro+Chiral become a reality.

Like all the other subsequent Nitro+Chiral games, Togainu no Chi is a pretty dark and violent story, that has a lot of disturbing and horror-ish content. While the game had an expansive coherent story with several routes that stitch it together into an interesting narrative, anime, as it almost always happens, adapted it in a linear way. Not only that, it also was extremely rushed, incoherent, weird and nonsensical. I have yet to see an anime, where most actions of the characters make absolutely no sense whatsoever, its a gigantic narrative mess. Not to mention that it decided to cut the story of one of the routes completely, therefore making a certain character completely useless. They also removed all the "gay stuff", obviously, like a lot of those adaptation do. Those are what I'd consider major things, but I could add horrible art style and a lot of other things to this truly endless list.

Fario-P said:
Was the anime in question totally unfaithful to the original game/VN? If yes, how so (preferably share as spoiler-free as possible)?

It was mostly unfaithful, but it was worse than unfaithful, I'd say. It took bits and pieces out of every route and mashed it together into something truly incomprehensible. Even as someone, who is familiar with the source material, I was ALWAYS asking myself "why did this happen suddenly?" or "why did that character do that, it makes no sense!". What happened most of the time was truly extremely random, it's not a matter of character being illogical and emotional because of a personality traits, sometimes it simply looked like they were all completely crazy people doing crazy things that made no sense. I'd say not giving a cause to their actions, which was clearly established and explored in a visual novel, but leaving in the effect, is what made it so they'd suddenly just get up and do things, just because.

Fario-P said:
What were some missed opportunities (like CUT-OUT CONTENT) that you felt the anime should have done?

If you adapt a visual novel, you should do separate series for each route to accommodate a non-linear narrative. Otherwise, the probability of complete failure is extremely high. That is the main missed opportunity, to carefully and properly adapt something with a worthy story. There is no saving the current adaptation and I generally don't believe that adapting any visual novel faithfully is a good idea. Those mediums are too different.

Fario-P said:
Was the runtime/cour length or pacing the main issue in your opinion? If not, what was it? Why do you think the anime failed to impress you, either in entertainment, adaptation, or even both? Was it perhaps due to poor visuals/animation quality, CGI usage, dated technology, etc...?

Well, lets count then. 12 episodes would be equal to ~4 hours and the original visual novel, while not the longest ever, would definitely take ~30 hours to complete everything. Those 12 episodes are NOT enough. I completely disagree with people claiming that visual novel narrative is "bloated". If that was so, then why the hell couldn't they adapt it properly using 12 episodes? Because it's impossible, too many long and important scenes that need time, and you can't just cut them. Pacing was completely random, as I've mentioned, a bewildering and relatively boring experience as well. And, of course, it had poor animation quality and relatively ugly art style, where people sometimes didn't even resemble their visual novel counterparts. They looked like completely different characters! Overall, it failed to impress me and managed to incur my wrath, because I consider it a failure in everything, except making one of the characters more tolerable for me, since his personality was a bit changed from the novel. For me, it counted as an improvement. Also, having different songs for each ending was a great idea, including some of the ending songs from the novel. So, hearing already beloved musicians, like Kanako Itou, singing some of the songs in anime was also a good thing.

Fario-P said:
Did the anime in question actually have some redeeming qualities that you might miss in a future remake/re-adaptation?

Yes, as I've already mentioned above, there were some minimal redeeming qualities, but I won't miss them if someone, god forbid, decides to try and adapt it again.

Fario-P said:
Do you have a specific studio in mind that you would want the game/VN to be picked up by (again)?

I don't really know. Any studio that can get through their brain that adapting a non-linear story into a linear series is a bad idea and very hard to pull off. And any studio serious enough about BL genre that they would invest into that branching narrative by creating multiple parallel anime series, as I've mentioned above, or at least a similar solution.

Fario-P said:
Who do you think would be a more suitable director (or composer, character designer, scriptwriter, etc.) for re-adapting the game/VN? Or would you prefer the anime's director again?

Again, I have no idea. Anyone, who is ready to take that job seriously. I definitely don't want the same director. Whoever it was, they failed, completely and utterly.

Fario-P said:
Would you die if a remake happened?[/s] How would you react if your remake wish (maybe along with whatever specifics you wanted) actually came true?

It would be nice to see all of that animated, but I'm not waiting for something like that to happen. I prefer visual novels to both anime and manga, therefore, making a good anime out of a visual novel is just a nice gesture, as far as I'm concerned. One of my main rules I wrote about on my profile page is that I'll always try to play a VN first. Yes, I know that Steins;Gate, or something like Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, anime adaptations are supposedly good, but I'd still prefer to play the visual novel first. Nevertheless, I'd still be somewhat happy about a worthy remake, if only because it would make the original horrible adaptation a bit more irrelevant, which is good in my book.

That is not the only visual novel I'm unhappy about, but out of everything I've seen as of now, it is, by far, the most disappointing one. I doubt anyone would read that wall of text about a BL visual novel, but I'm happy that I was able to talk about it nonetheless and vent my frustrations concerning such adaptations as a bonus :)
Jul 7, 2021 6:50 AM
Feb 2014
Fario-P said:
[size=125]

Hoooo boy this next one's a doozy, very detailed post is still much appreciated though hahaha
Dauphine said:
I don't think I've actually heard of Bungo and Alchemist before your post...
It's a bit of a shame to hear what happened though even if I've never played or watched it... a whole story where the souls of famous irl writers fight random fantasy monsters sounds odd, but I would be lying if I didn't say it sounds like an interesting premise. I imagine the anime had to change it to astral projections to avoid lawsuits for serious references towards real people or something. Can't understand the change for the main character based on what you said though, that's just sad.

I didn't think about it that way, that they had to change it because of lawsuits....that makes sense.
The main characters of the anime where actually Dazai and Akutagawa, the librarian Alchemist was more a background character that wasn't seen and only came up in conversations between the writers, still i felt it was a blatant insult to the players of the game for them to be characterized this way.

I've been playing it for about two years now and i love the game and the writers so it probably hit me waaay harder than it should have, as i felt very angry and raged for a few hours after i ended up dropping it.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 7, 2021 6:57 AM

Oct 2018
Ngl I want Doki Doki literature Club to be animated. If my heart had wings, katawa shoujo (one of the best vn), and summer pockets should be animated as well.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jul 7, 2021 7:23 AM

Dec 2019
Tsui no Sora; that visual novel deserves an anime adaptation in TV format animated by Shaft.
Jul 7, 2021 9:56 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Lucifrost said:
Fario-P said:
This game was actually how I first learned about the Statue of Hachiko

I have yet to meet anyone else who knows about the Moyai; it's not even shown in the anime.
Yeah, I was extremely disappointed to see Day 2 cut so zetta short... RIP Moyai Statue.

also, this statue is actually a faithful adaptation of my face

triplepsycho said:
I would say Air.
I really enjoyed the anime, but now that I'm reading the VN, I can see that Air's adaptation left a lot to be desired, mainly when it comes to characters and pacing. In the anime, Minagi and Kano are pretty forgettable, but with more episodes, their arcs could be properly adapted. On top of that, so many important parts are left out due to the poor pacing, and that makes it more confusing than it needs to be. I think, with upgraded visuals, more faithfulness to the VN, and an episode count of maybe 25-40 episodes, it could become a masterpiece.

And if Kanon was able to get a remake, then so can Air. Hopefully that's what will be announced at the end of Kaginado!
I do remember some people complaining that KyoAni's Air was not a good adaptation...
I personally thought the show was great too, but I never played the original VN either... maybe I ought to watch a YouTube video on it sometime...

Thank you so much for contributing and actually reading my thread!

-YaoiBoy- said:
Since I have a very high opinion of certain BL visual novels and take their faulty adaptations to heart, I guess it's time to hate on a horrible Togainu no Chi adaptation.
Are you referring to this? I have never heard of Togainu no Chi before.
Quite surprising to see Gen Urobuchi mentioned here, but considering the more I read from this... I guess it's not really... (XD) I suppose making a series for each route would make a more effective adaptation, but I think that'd also be very expensive and too costly for most studios to consider risking. Unless the studio in question is KyoAni cuz they've made multiple OVAs for Clannad iirc...

Also, thanks much for reading my thread!
Jul 8, 2021 8:23 AM

Jul 2020
Fario-P said:

triplepsycho said:
I would say Air.

I do remember some people complaining that KyoAni's Air was not a good adaptation...
I personally thought the show was great too, but I never played the original VN either... maybe I ought to watch a YouTube video on it sometime...

Thank you so much for contributing and actually reading my thread!

Yeah, the adaptation was still a good time for sure, but it really isn't nearly as good as the VN.

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Jul 8, 2021 8:25 AM

Feb 2010
Tuskihime and umineko end of thread.

jokes aside. (not really.)

Tales of Veperia it's probably the best tales of game story wise and the only anime we got for it was a prequel movie.

Megaman zero saga megaman zero's story hits damn hard. can you imagine having falling down or omega fight done by a studio like bones or ufotable?

Monster girl quest yes i know some people (mostly people who've never actually played the trilogy to completion.) are skeptical of this one, but the narrative is probably one of the best ones I've had with VN's However the likeliness of this getting a good adaptation is almost next to none. regardless this series gave me a emotional rollercoaster. I was not expecting.

Sekien no Inganock it's hard to describe how good this one is if you've not played it. it's a mystery series, but it's not the characters solving a mystery they are just trying to live there life, but instead it's the viewer whos putting together the pieces of the tragedy that took place before and is about to happen.

Hoshizora no memoria speaking of mysterys this is a romcome/mystery series honestly i'm surprised it's not gotten more recognition i consider it up there with a lot of Key studios VN's as far as the romance/drama/comedy VN's go. actaully i can think of one reason it probably doesn't get as much recognition. (Chinami)
GrimAtramentJul 8, 2021 8:47 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 8, 2021 11:15 AM

May 2021
Fario-P said:
-YaoiBoy- said:
Are you referring to this? I have never heard of Togainu no Chi before.
Quite surprising to see Gen Urobuchi mentioned here, but considering the more I read from this... I guess it's not really... (XD) I suppose making a series for each route would make a more effective adaptation, but I think that'd also be very expensive and too costly for most studios to consider risking. Unless the studio in question is KyoAni cuz they've made multiple OVAs for Clannad iirc...

Yes, this :) well, unless you're explicitly interested in BL visual novels, there is no reason for you to know about Togainu no Chi :) I think Dramatical Murder would be the most popular one among Nitro+Chiral creations (which also has a pretty bad bland adaptation, but at least they somewhat tried).
Yeah, making a proper adaptation would be quite costly.

Fario-P said:

You're welcome :)
Jul 13, 2021 10:21 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
hazarddex said:
Tales of Veperia it's probably the best tales of game story wise and the only anime we got for it was a prequel movie.
Whoa wait, Tales of Vesperia actually got a prequel anime?? That's interesting... I watched a family member play it sometimes and I honestly don't remember too much of the story... Yuri was kinda interesting and Patty is probably the best though.
Jul 13, 2021 11:51 PM

Oct 2019
TSUKIHIME. I really want a proper anime adaptation after the remake of the VN.
Jul 14, 2021 7:20 AM
Dec 2019
I haven't actually played the vn, but only readed the manga (wich from what I heard is a very good adaptation), but Umineko is a fucking masterpiece and deserves a better adaptation than that shit Deen did
Jul 19, 2021 10:32 AM

Oct 2020
100% Chaos;Child. It's my favorite visual novel but it got a pretty bad adaption, if it got a remake with more episodes it could be fantastic.
Aug 12, 2021 2:59 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
Ah, video games, my favorite medium bar none! There are so, so many I can mention here...

1. Kid Icarus Uprising

What was the game/VN like, and what about the anime in question made you want it to be redone? While the Kid Icarus Uprising anthology ONAs were actually really good already, KIU has my favorite story of anything ever, so I'd really like a full-length adaptation of it (preferably skipping nothing. I'd watch it no matter how long it was). While I personally liked the gameplay, a lot of fellow fans did not. Since most people who played the game agree that the story is a masterpiece while the gameplay is not, it would be perfect to get a TV/movie adaptation

Was the anime in question totally unfaithful to the original game/VN? Not completely, since Pit and Palutena were delightfully in character all throughout, the ONAs were completely original stories meant solely for fans of the original game. I don't think people who never played Uprising would enjoy them very much

What were some missed opportunities (like CUT-OUT CONTENT) that you felt the anime should have done? Well, Hades, my favorite villain of all time, isn't in any of the shorts, so...

Do you have a specific studio in mind that you would want the game/VN to be picked up by (again)? I'd like Nintendo to do the adaptation in-house. If not, david production would be nice, since a Kid Icarus anime with the care that they put into JoJo would be godlike (literally, lol)

Who do you think would be a more suitable director (or composer, character designer, scriptwriter, etc.) for re-adapting the game/VN? Or would you prefer the anime's director again? Honestly I never really cared about director as long as the writing's good. If possible, having Masahiro Sakurai as both the director and writer (as with the original game) would be awesome, but I know he's a busy man and he deserves a nice, long vacation after the second Smash Ultimate Fighters Pass is over and done

Would you die if a remake happened? How would you react if your remake wish (maybe along with whatever specifics you wanted) actually came true? Yeah, I'd be hyped. Would probably easily become my favorite anime and maybe even my favorite TV show period

2. The mainline Pokémon games

What was the game/VN like, and what about the anime in question made you want it to be redone? Honestly, I just want a full-length Pokémon anime that fully adapts all the mainline games. I know Pokémon Origins did it with Red/Green/Blue Version, so I honestly don't know why the later games never got the same treatment, TBH

Was the anime in question totally unfaithful to the original game/VN? If yes, how so (preferably share as spoiler-free as possible)? The Pokémon anime, as I'm sure most people probably know, doesn't follow the games' stories at all. Numerous characters are given completely different roles or personalities (such as Brock being a flirt or Iris being absolute garbage) and the actual story of the game (with the resident evil team and boxart Legendary) is usually just reserved for one multi-part episode in the middle of the season.

What were some missed opportunities (like CUT-OUT CONTENT) that you felt the anime should have done? Well, for one example (if I listed every missed opportunity, we'd be here a while, lol), Ash should've left after Kanto. He's based on the player character of Red and Blue specifically.

Was the runtime/cour length or pacing the main issue in your opinion? While I would say my "main" issue was the fact that the story has next-to-nothing in common with the games, the absurd runtime (still ongoing since 1997) is definitely not helping matters, IMO, lol

Why do you think the anime failed to impress you, either in entertainment, adaptation, or even both? Well, comparing the Pokémon anime to the games that inspired it almost seems cruel, lol. I guess it would be impossible for any original story based on Pokémon to live up to the hype?

Did the anime in question actually have some redeeming qualities that you might miss in a future remake/re-adaptation? For as much hate as he gets from most fans of the games, I would definitely miss Ash if he were replaced with a more stoic, silent version of Red like the one in the games. Team Rocket are also far more interesting in the anime than the original game, lol

Do you have a specific studio in mind that you would want the game/VN to be picked up by (again)? Once again, I'm gonna say Nintendo should do it in-house. If not, then I'm once again saying david production. Simply put, they're the only stuido where I've ever watched an anime and said "this wouldn't have been as good if another studio did it" (the anime in question being JoJo)

Would you die if a remake happened? How would you react if your remake wish (maybe along with whatever specifics you wanted) actually came true? I've wanted a faithful adaptation of Pokémon for over a decade since I first played Pokémon Pearl! I'd be incredibly happy (especially once they reached the theoretical Black and White Version arc. Best Pokémon games hands-down)

3. Fire Emblem

I haven't actually seen the Fire Emblem OVA, so not much I can say other than the fact that more of the games need anime adaptations (and the first game needs a full-length re-adaptation)

4. Touhou Porject

While there isn't an official Touhou anime (aside from the lost Anime Tenchou crossover short) there are tons of fanmade ones (two of which have MAL entries! Even though Sealed Esoteric History isn't technically an anime, lol), so I guess it counts?
Aside from not being official, Fantasy Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~ is already pretty much everything I'd want from an official Touhou anime! It adapts the games' stories faithfully, there's no fanservice, it has awesome animation, there's remixes of the games' phenomenal OSTs, etc. A shame then that, from what I've heard anyway (haven't seen it yet), none of the same praises can be said about A Summer's Day Dream, the most famous Touhou anime. Basically, what I'm saying is that we need more fanime (or maybe even an official anime) based on Touhou that adapt it really faithfully
My greatest contribution to this website:
Sep 20, 2021 7:04 AM

Feb 2021
A full length Pokemon anime adapting the games with the games MCs instead of Ash or atleast a Pokemon adventures adaption .
Sep 20, 2021 9:14 AM
Jan 2018
Although I deem Fate to be mostly unadaptable in the current state of the industry, Fate is my first choice. I don't like any of the Stay Night adaptations. Even the Ufotable ones are marginally better than the Deens ones because of far too much cut content, changes in focus and dreadful characterizations. I'd prefer a better adaptation of all three routes that doesn't prioritize action and fight scenes over the character drama and philosophy present. It's a real shame that characters like Saber, Shirou, Rin, Kirei and Illya will never be characterized properly in the anime when their characters are so much better.

Next would be, even though it hasn't even released yet, Muv-luv Alternative. Already a guaranteed dumpster fire for cutting out almost all of the story because the industry can't handle any kind of story structure that isn't straight forward along with abysmal new character designs that are almost unrecognizable from their original counterparts.

Third would be Utawarerumono. The first anime from the 2000s was an okay adaptation though it missed quite a bit especially with plot lines that tie into future future games and arcs. That being said, the Mask of Deception adaptation was abysmal and it's a source fairly easy to adapt. Maybe it'd be a better idea to not hire a director that dislikes a VN without having read it because they dislike political stories.

Fourth would be the entire Sci;Adv series barring the original Steins;gate including Steins;Gate 0. Steins;Gate is like a miracle as the Sci;Adv series has received abysmal adaptations. Chaos;Child and Chaos;Head's anime adaptations are both abysmal despite the VNs themselves being almost as good as Steins;Gate. Steins;Gate 0's VN itself isn't even good, it's very mediocre, but the anime adapted it horribly and it lacked any of the visual or directional flair that Hamasaki gave the original anime.

Tsukihime and Umineko I'd mention but they don't suit anime as a medium which is a big reasons why their adaptations failed. Umineko has far too much detail and is far too long to be adapted realistically and Tsukihime, despite how Ufotable's remake openings make it seem, has very little action and is mostly an urban fantasy horror and horror doesn't work in anime at all either.
AnimaniaigSep 20, 2021 9:50 AM
Sep 20, 2021 9:17 AM

Sep 2021
Chaos child , chaos head , Umineko ,Stein gate ,
The most dangerous irony is, people are angry with others because of their own incompetence
Sep 20, 2021 9:37 AM

Sep 2020
I would love to see an adaptation of Metal Gear Solid and Xenogears 😄
Oct 20, 2021 6:01 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Dies Irae - the anime adaptation made me want to commit seppuku.
Also, I would want an adaptation of the spinoff but Wilhelm's the walking definition of a problematic character and I don't want people to give me and others crap for liking him.

Umineko as well. I want to see my husbando and others in a good adaptation!
Oct 20, 2021 6:38 PM
Jul 2018
Absolutely Code Realize. Adapt all the routes and do it justice.
Jan 2, 2022 6:01 PM
Mar 2017
Just like the other thread I'll post mine here.

Was surprised to see the Kanon 2006 introduction though but was a good read. Have yet to watch the Toei one but still.

Anyways it's a tough one for what I want adapted or what I want of a modern remake. But I'll go ones I want an adaption of but has none or I likely ever see getting one.

The visual novel at least that came to mind that doesn't have an adaptation or likely never will but I can dream is Purple Software's ChronoClock. I can't really think of a game that I want to have an adaptation that doesn't already have one or already works better as a game or just can't think of one of the top of my head then this one for now a least.

While I have only experienced it via a Let's Play, I have not played it. To me it's story/characters/fan service (the epilogues are Hentai scenes so it's technically an Eroge but the rest of it is very clean and slight ecchi). Then again Grisaia has it's Specials which I assume the Visual Novels go a certain way with and Grisaia's Specials are only ecchi nothing more.

The concept to me and when they use the clock with 5 minutes rewound to me was really interesting at least with the setting/cast they have anyways even for a simple premise, obviously not Steins;gate scale of situations, time limit or grand events happening but still. Cro is an interesting Spirit of Time character in and outside her arc, the human cast vary, Michuru is a very you either can take it or you hate her Sister character and the rest of the cast seems to do well with their routes/in others routes and with their tropes in the beginning sure are what they are but get better with the Pocket Watch as a reason or as the character relationships happen.

To me at least ChronoClock feels like THE Visual Novel to me that I think about the same way I do about Disagea does for Tactics RPGs. They just have a hook and execution I just enjoyed more. Disagea more for it's gameplay that I find other Tactics games don't have a hook for (Geo Panels among other things) though ChronoClock with it's premise/story as the gameplay is only the very few choices, the choices being what girl's route unlike most other Visual Novels giving a few other choices to lead up to the route where you'd need a guide. That and Visual Novels are usually enjoyed for story so even though I'm more a gameplay person. Even if the story or setting isn't that special I don't know I just kind of enjoyed watching the Let's Play of it unfold. So ChronoClock is more simple. I don't hate tons of choices but the story hooked me more at least and of those that has no adaptation at all.

Otherwise I think a lot of the elements translate to anime with a slice of life/supernatural/time focused approach to it or are heighten-ed by anime with certain scenes.
Jan 2, 2022 11:08 PM

Aug 2021
Chaos;Child deserves a proper adaptation. Was absolutely hooked on the first few episodes until Silver Link decided to rush and butcher everything up.
Jan 25, 2022 1:01 PM
Mar 2021
man, Tales of Vesperia really would make a great anime, the characters are so lived in and well-defined. It could support 4-5 seasons, easily. but there's no commercial reason to do it, so it'll never happen.
Feb 17, 2022 9:51 PM

Jan 2009
Chaos;Head for sure, its actually so bad but i find the story good its just need better animation and direction

and Muv Luv Alternative im fine if they remake it as full 3DCG
Feb 18, 2022 3:56 PM
Oct 2013
One of the dream of mine that I know will never happen is to see Rewrite getting a proper adaptation that gives justice to the source material. The one we got can't be called an adaptation as the plot is all over the place. It can't even be called an alternative version or retelling because it didn't bring anything new to the story. The second season tried to improve, but still failed as the amount of contents it cut out results in a bland and unmemorable show. The biggest issue I had with it is the fact that the show totally ignores the themes presented in the visual novel (environmental, history, parallel universe, evolution and other pseudo scientific or science fiction topics).
Feb 18, 2022 5:09 PM

Jul 2019
1. Chaos;Head

A complete dumpster fire adaptation, almost unwatchable. (Direction was especially awful). Chaos;Child episode 0 is an example of how it should have been adapted.

2. Chaos;Child

Needs to have slow pacing to flesh out the characters. The anime was a rushed mess.

3. Steins;Gate 0

Many will disagree but i actually hate what the anime did in regard to the content adapted and its pacing.

I did not include MLA because i don't hate the anime as much even though it has no reason to even exist.
Feb 18, 2022 5:55 PM

Oct 2015
@Animaniaig

My passing grade for anime adaptation of a VN/Game is fairly low to be fair. As long as it's like ufo UBW anime or FGO Babylon anime, it gets a fine tier imo because at least they are good enough to endorse people into reading the actual thing

The issue with VN/Game adaptations is more of about budget and nobody want to adapt it seriously. VNs are far more niche than LNs which is popular. I mean, just look at Muv-Luv, one of the idols of the VN industry and its adaptation teaser. Theoretically adapting MLA should've be easier than most LNs. It's just a matter of not enough people are passionate enough to put lots of effort innit.

The more popular a thing is in Japan, the more it will be closer as a "representative". But yeah, if we're going purist mode, then I can probably count good VN adaptations by a single hand.
Feb 25, 2022 9:59 PM
Dec 2017
Well coming back here again since i have another idea as well too share as something i wanna see get the fma brotherhood treatment in terms of anime. And is also because Nier Automata is coming out as well too and i hope it doesn't end up like chaos head or school days.

Its of course Chaos Head and Chaos Child cause yeah, i've been ranting quite a bit about it lately since those anime adaptations are huge big fucking yikes because of how rushed and dumb down they are and also the only thing i like aside from the art is the gothic metal music from Phantasam and they also worked on the bad ending music of the vns and i actually wanna get their albums since even the va for the singer also cosplays as her in concerts.

Feb 25, 2022 10:29 PM

Oct 2018
Fire Emblem, since it only had an OVA that adapted Shadow Dragon (and by extension Mystery of the Emblem). Though, I think that Nintendo is reluctant to make any new adaptations after the F-Zero anime bombed.

Possibly, Final Fantasy V. Since it also had an OVA, which took places hundreds of years after it. Though, I wished that it was longer to further explain the connection with the game's events.

I wished that To Heart: Remember My Memories simply had another adaptation with better character designs, since the designs from the 99' series, To Heart 2 (which came out a year after), and AquaPlus' other adaptations of the time had better desigsns.
Feb 26, 2022 8:31 AM

Feb 2016
Crow_Black said:
Its of course Chaos Head and Chaos Child cause yeah, i've been ranting quite a bit about it lately since those anime adaptations are huge big fucking yikes

A localization for Chaos;Head Noah has been teased. Even without a good anime, we may soon be able to experience the definitive version of the story.
その目だれの目?
Feb 26, 2022 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
The Tales of-series. I never played the games and the series were good, but they still felt quite rushed and like you could have done much more with them.
Feb 26, 2022 9:13 AM

Apr 2020
Chaos;child and Chaos;head deserves an adaptation which is not butchered
Feb 26, 2022 9:27 AM

Jul 2020
1. Fatal Fury
This anime adaptation of the video games had 2 OVAs and a movie that were released in the 90s. There are not a lot of Fatal Fury characters in it except for of course the big ones, Andy and Terry Bogard, Mai Shiranui, Joe Higashi, and Geese Howard among others. The movie ends on a cliffhanger for a rematch of a fight that was really boring and anticlimactic in the finale of the first OVA. Still, more than 25 years later we have not seen it’s conclusion. This anime adaptation has a slim chance, with Terry being in smash and KOF 15 releasing.

2. Shin Megami Tensei (Excluding Persona)
One of the biggest JRPG franchises that predates Pokemon and started in the 80s based off a Japanese novel, surprisingly it has only received few adaptations. There was an OVA made in the 80s covering the first game, another was a children’s show (weird since SMT is very mature and “satanic”. The SMT franchise has always been niche and hasn’t sold very well although it has a very dedicated but toxic fanbase. They have a lot of material to work with like the five mainline games, the old Famicon ones, and a BUNCH of spin-offs with multiple sequels of there own. It lead to the Persona series, which has sold much more than Megami Tensei and overshadows it. Persona doesn’t need anymore adaptions, we have received ones of 3, 4, and 5, to varying degrees of quality. We could have adaptations of 1, and 2(EP, IS). But I think it’s long overdue for SMT to get an adaptation. One candidate for receiving the anime treatment would be the Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha games. He is such a cool character that has also made appearances in SMT3. It could work really well as a shonen or seinen anime as the games were action RPGs. But the games did not sell well and are really hard to come by (partially because of low prints, low sales, and releasing insanely late into the PS2s life). Another obstacle would be the imperial imagery. The games are set in the early 1900s in Japan. Raidou wasn’t released as a character in SMT3 in Korea and China, and was instead replaced with Dante. Cutting out a lot of the Asian market would be a problem for the anime. Another candidate would be the Digital Devil Saga games. They are set in a post apocalyptic world where factions compete for Nirvana. The characters transform into demons, and you do not recruit them. The characters have to eat their enemies to get more powerful. It also has more of a story than the other Megaten games. It has two games, and I think 2 cours would be enough to cover both games. (25 minutes each) Those are the adaptations I want to see, but there are so many unique games with different settings and characters that pretty much all of them are a good choice.

3. Castlevania
Okay, I know this already has an adaptation with four seasons so far covering the third game, but there are so many other games to cover as well. Like the other 3 numbered games, and especially the GBA games. But the best game isn’t covered yet (and if they adapt it chronologically it’s going to take a while) that being Symphony of The Night. It’s ultimately Konami’s decision and unfortunately there hasn’t been any new Castlevania games in years. But they have released the GBA games and the NES/SNES games on newer systems. So there is still hope.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - Yesterday

42 by Cielord »»
1 minute ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

49 by desusama »»
4 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - 2 hours ago

6 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
13 minutes ago

» How do y'all watch such long series? ( 1 2 )

erikkamirs - Feb 19, 2022

98 by KitsuFrost »»
13 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

84 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.