Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
SHAMAN KING
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2021 2:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, it feels so nostalgic seeing Shaman King back on TV. It's been years since I've seen the original but this series still captures the vibes of the franchise.

The OP song is catchy featuring many prominent characters including Yoh. Speaking of which, I find the reaction in class of his character introduction to be amusing. Oh and Ryunosuke is back in this series. Cool guy but he's got a bit of attitude. Yoh is already quite badass in this first episode imo.

Overall, a fun episode and definitely looking for more.
Apr 1, 2021 2:35 AM

Nov 2015
Amazing episode, the new artstyle and soundtrack feels modern but nostalgic all the same. Can't wait for more!
Apr 1, 2021 2:43 AM
Jul 2018
Man, animation is good. I haven't watched the original but I Dont think this will disappoint as a remake. OP is good, I dont love it though. Its seems interesting, I am sure the scores will boost after the realease of few more eps. Overall I am looking forward for more.
Apr 1, 2021 2:43 AM

Jun 2019
Okay... I've not seen the Original of this show. But this looks really good including the OP. The animation looks clean.
For many people, this might be nostalgic but it's the first time for me, I'm really looking forward to this show a lot. I hope it gets better and better with each episode.
Also, Yoh seems pretty cool. Loved the first episode. Definitely looking for more. :)
Apr 1, 2021 2:45 AM
Feb 2020
So I liked it, but it's not really what I wanted.

It's not as bad as I feared, but I really wish anime directors just accepted the fact the manga author is a better writer than them, and just quietly animated the source material as is.

The real test if this series is going to be good or not I'd say will be epiosode 4. And boy I really hope they do slow down the pace when we start the America arc

Feel pretty good about giving this episode 4/5
And mostly just because I wanted it to adapt every panel, I will not deny that at least episode 1 worked pretty well despite restructuring.

Oh yeah, also ED is really good. I usually skip those, but I might end up watching this one after every episode religiously
Apr 1, 2021 3:07 AM
Nov 2010
TakafumiNaito said:

It's not as bad as I feared, but I really wish anime directors just accepted the fact the manga author is a better writer than them, and just quietly animated the source material as is.

I don't think it's right to say this because iirc, the manga author himself is supervising this, meaning the fact that they're animating this way is approved by the author himself.
Apr 1, 2021 3:19 AM
Feb 2020
This does not mean much. There are plenty of shows that were rendered unwatchable despite the author overseeing them. In Japan it is commonly believed that the anime exists to promote the manga, it adapting the manga is not always the priority.

We can count on Takei to make sure they do not add stupid bullshit (unlike the first series) but no matter the amount of overseeing he can't fix 6 chapters in 20 minutes skipping vital character development or other plot points without which the show won't be as readable.
Not to mention, it's sure to be difficult to wrap your head around everything when you get a whole volume of the manga squeezed into 20 minutes
Apr 1, 2021 3:43 AM

Jun 2012
Sucks that it's stuck in Netflix JP. Guess this will start happening more and more now.
Apr 1, 2021 4:14 AM

Apr 2011
I absolutely LOVED this. I'm not disappointed at all. The new artstyle is beautiful, the animation is good, the OST too, I'm glad seiyuu are the same (I can't wait to hear Takehito Koyasu as Faust VIII again). I can't wait for the next episode already!
Apr 1, 2021 4:31 AM

Oct 2017
Shaman King anime reboot is finally here and damn this was really nostalgic. Visuals and new character designs are cool, animation was smooth and pacing was okay too.

I like the setting and the characters seem likeable too. Specially the protagonist Yoh, he's a cool guy. That battle scene was short but that was good. Amidamaru and Mosuke's backstory was quite touching too. Also I'm glad that Amidamaru decided to stay with Yoh.

OP/ED were both pretty good, liked both of em. Really good premise and I'm really hyped to see upcoming episodes.
MegamiRemApr 3, 2021 6:30 AM
Apr 1, 2021 6:21 AM

Apr 2013
Curious to see when subs come out with Netflix jail.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
anime-primeApr 1, 2021 10:54 PM
Apr 1, 2021 6:58 AM
Discord Moderator
Feb 2014
The original Shaman King was one of the first anime I watched. Just finished watching the first episode. Everything was nostalgic and the pacing wasn't too bad either. Looking forward to it.
Apr 1, 2021 7:37 AM

Dec 2020
I cant wait. Fk Netflix seriously, can't they simulcast it
Apr 1, 2021 9:40 AM
Jun 2015
First episodes out and of course it's Netflix JP. Fml I want to see it soo badly. I'm off work too 😭😭😭
Apr 1, 2021 10:02 AM
Dec 2015
Is there really no other simulcasting this? Whoah, why Netflix.
Apr 1, 2021 10:16 AM

Jan 2021
I have to say that I haven't read the manga or seen the original, so I honestly don't know what to expect here 😂
But I loved the start and the whole concept of the spirits, it is also appreciated that there will be 52 episodes
I can't wait for the next one (((o(*°▽°*)o)))
Apr 1, 2021 11:48 AM

Apr 2017
I am not too sure about revealing Hao+Spirit of Fire from the get-go and I felt kind of icky about the rearrangement of the Mosuke+Amidamaru scenes. I really liked the scene where Amidamaru was going to go to the afterlife but saw Yoh and Manta getting attacked by Ruy and gang and regretted it. Shame it didn't make it. Felt like I was watching Shaman King on 2.5 speed. Animation is stellar, music seems just fantastic so far. Let's see what they do later on, I am hyped :D
Apr 1, 2021 12:52 PM
Jan 2021
This episode was cool :D
Apr 1, 2021 12:58 PM
Jun 2020
Asakura Yoh is back and I am the happiest. The character design, backgrounds, soundtrack are very good, the animation is standard, but that's fine, it's not like there are major fights for now. I am looking forward to seeing the next episode !!
Apr 1, 2021 1:33 PM

May 2015
The first episode was fine, but I'm worried about the pacing (over 300 chapters in 52 episodes). At least I'm sure that this will be better than Hoshin Engi 2018 (over 200 chapters in 23 episodes) or Karakuri Circus (over 400 chapters in 36 episodes).
Apr 1, 2021 1:37 PM
Feb 2014
Amazing episode, good quality
Apr 1, 2021 1:40 PM
May 2009
ren_moon said:
The first episode was fine, but I'm worried about the pacing (over 300 chapters in 52 episodes). At least I'm sure that this will be better than Hoshin Engi 2018 (over 200 chapters in 23 episodes) or Karakuri Circus (over 400 chapters in 36 episodes).

By the time they reach america and the pace's still rushed, then we can assume that 52 episodes will adapt the whole thang
Apr 1, 2021 2:16 PM

Jul 2009
Ugh, I'm trying to be optimistic but it's hard. That was so rushed. I can't even tell if it's the manga's fault and the way the story was told there, but if I didn't know the plot already I would think that nothing makes sense lol, everything was going so fast. It feels... I don't know, soulless? No atmosphere, no humor, no hype whatsoever. Where's the hype and tension during the Yoh/Ryu fight? I couldn't feel anything. Was there even any music, because I could barely hear it.
The animation was fine, not great not terrible. I like the character desing. The light is too bright tho.
Props to VAs. Although no one can replace Satou Yuuko no matter how someone tries to imitate her, cause she had such an iconic and perfect voice for him, Yoh's new seiyuu doesn't sound bad. I just have to get used to her. Amidamaru on the other hand sounds exactly the same, just perfect.

I don't even know if I want to watch the next ep. My expectations were low and I'm still disappointed. Wow.
Apr 1, 2021 2:28 PM

Feb 2019
It's certainly an obnoxious Jump action show. Maybe it's a little unfair to bag on it for being cliche when it's a reboot of series old enough to have helped write the cliches in the first place, but when people set out to make a new Spiderman or Iron Man, the thing in the forefront of their minds is never "I really, really need to invoke the aesthetics of how corny the 90s were. Bonus points for any racism of the time I can work in." But could at least impress on the action front. It could, but doesn't. Not that it's embarrassingly poorly animated or full of blobs of faceless people in the background or anything like that. It just does action by the standard loud grunts, speedline shot, slow motion with speedlines while the peanut gallery narrates over it, and then the fight just ends. Expect no choreography or style, 'cause you ain't getting it.

One of these days, one of these Jump adaptations will take the Galaxy Angel or Milky Holmes route and go off into bonkersville. It'll be glorious, and I'll love to see it. Every season, I prod at them, hoping against hope that this time will be the one. I can't even personally tell you if this is truly more true to the original than the twenty year old first go round or not, which I assume is supposed to be the draw here. If this is a 'better' version, I think watching the original would only depress me.
Apr 1, 2021 2:48 PM

Aug 2018
Pretty good first episode
Apr 1, 2021 3:00 PM
Jun 2015
Welp it was a good episode, but the way they rearranged shit was weird. Oh well, fuck it! Rens back next week and I'm excited!
Apr 1, 2021 3:25 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ah yes, bringing back the early 2000s nostalgia

iirc, this is similar to what the FoxBox showed, right?
Apr 1, 2021 4:04 PM

Dec 2010
I really liked the episode it was like watching the first two episodes of the 2001 anime since the pace is faster but not too fast.
Apr 1, 2021 4:45 PM

Jun 2015
How many chapters did this episode cover? Might not even bother watching if it was too rushed
Apr 1, 2021 4:55 PM

Nov 2009
"If your spirit is strooooooong"

welcome back
Apr 1, 2021 4:56 PM

Jan 2015
I didn't like this first episode, I thought it was out of nostalgia, but after watching the first 2 episodes of the 2001 version, I see that it wasn't.
The OST in the 2001 version is amazing, it create a relaxing atmosphere like the protagonist's attitude but the worst thing about this episode was the pacing, they practically put 2 episodes of the previous version in the first one, it feels like to much information... I'm worried that the next episodes will be this fast.
Apr 1, 2021 5:06 PM
Jul 2018
it was really a good episode,Animation is incredible during the episode.
Apr 1, 2021 5:33 PM

Oct 2017
After tweaking with the subtitles to fix a few translation and proofreading errors the fansubber said were there, I gotta say, this is a solid readaptation of the manga. I like how it streamlined chapters 1 and 2 together in a logical and condensed way. The lighting was fucking fantastic in the episode. This honestly felt like exactly what I wanted out of this adaptation. I'm curious to go back and get the old 4kids DVDs to see how the original 2001 anime adapted the same content. I'm also hoping we can get an official english release of this reboot soon, as the wait for the subs was kinda anxiety raking as i was in class frantically refreshing to download it
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 1, 2021 5:36 PM

Oct 2018
ame-furi said:
Ugh, I'm trying to be optimistic but it's hard. That was so rushed. I can't even tell if it's the manga's fault and the way the story was told there, but if I didn't know the plot already I would think that nothing makes sense lol, everything was going so fast. It feels... I don't know, soulless? No atmosphere, no humor, no hype whatsoever. Where's the hype and tension during the Yoh/Ryu fight? I couldn't feel anything. Was there even any music, because I could barely hear it.
The animation was fine, not great not terrible. I like the character desing. The light is too bright tho.
Props to VAs. Although no one can replace Satou Yuuko no matter how someone tries to imitate her, cause she had such an iconic and perfect voice for him, Yoh's new seiyuu doesn't sound bad. I just have to get used to her. Amidamaru on the other hand sounds exactly the same, just perfect.

I don't even know if I want to watch the next ep. My expectations were low and I'm still disappointed. Wow.

I have to agree with what you said. Looking back it looks like they merged together 2-3 ep from 2001 series in 1ep here, honestly if i havent watched it before i wouldn't be able to understand what the heck is this show about. I just hope it will slow down in few ep or it will be un-watched for me.

Apr 1, 2021 5:36 PM

Jun 2009
It was a ok episode. It was a surprise to watch something that happens around season 2 in the original run as the opening scene, but it's ok, it really jumped to the main point of this story and actually that was a good scene to watch.

I kinda miss the old passing on the old series, Amidamaru and Mosuke little arc was reduced to just 6 minutes lol when in the first run it really was a whole episode. Looking how things are and the pace, Anna probably would be right in the next episode since we have Ren already showing.

Everything just looks more aesthetically pretty than the original. I'm a bit disappointed with the music revamp, since I grow up with the old one, for me was iconic, I wish they had used some of the old OST or some revamped version of some themes. For the same reasons I'm a bit disappointed with the opening and ending, it could be better without be the same.

I was rec-watching the old series before this on Prime for nostalgia reasons, so it would be fun.
Apr 1, 2021 6:14 PM

Jan 2009
yep looks fine not great but good enough

and the pacing seems fast but ye not so fast
Apr 1, 2021 6:16 PM

Apr 2011
I don't have much memory with the old anime or manga, I never really watched it right and I only saw a few random episodes. So the nostalgia factor doesn't hit me.
Even so, I really liked what I saw. As I don't know how it is in the original, so I can't say, but I felt a hurried pace, something like the remake of Dragon Quest.
I really liked the character designs, I kind of found some strange proportions like a hand much bigger than the face, but it must be part of the style and I don't feel uncomfortable with it. Visually I loved Amidamaru and Ryunosuke.
Overall, I look forward to more.
Apr 1, 2021 6:16 PM

Oct 2020
I thought the episode was okay. I haven't watched or read SK before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I thought it was a kind of typical shounen episode plot-wise. I didn't really care about the samurai and blacksmith story since it was a quick little background story in one episode. The animation was pretty great. I'm a little worried that the pacing might be a little fast

Maybe it would have also been better to have NOT revealed Yoh's backstory as a flashback as well? I didn't know he had a twin, so it would have been a cool reveal when his twin shows up again.

Also, why is Manta so short? I'm almost afraid to ask this because of spoilers, but is he like a little person or something, or is it just an exaggerated character design?
Apr 1, 2021 7:01 PM

Aug 2015
kurosawarubert said:

Also, why is Manta so short? I'm almost afraid to ask this because of spoilers, but is he like a little person or something, or is it just an exaggerated character design?

He´s like Koichi. One of the gag characters that are short with no real explanation (also the designs are not proportionate at all, as you can tell).

----------------------------------------------------
This went really fast. I saw the older anime years ago but I do remember the introduction very well, and they almost put 3 episodes into one. Considering it´s going to be 52, I guess they are going to rush the first arcs really hard and then moderate the pace a little bit, because the manga is quite long.
Apr 1, 2021 7:15 PM

Jun 2015
Ok, so I decided to give a try. It wasn't as rushed as I thought, about 70 pages were adaptated. But they already anticipated that guy's appearance, so I fear what is to come next

kurosawarubert said:

It's just grotesque character design. The late 90s had a lot of these

kurosawarubert said:
Maybe it would have also been better to have NOT revealed Yoh's backstory as a flashback as well? I didn't know he had a twin, so it would have been a cool reveal when his twin shows up again.

I know! That takes a long ass time to be even mentioned in the manga

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeApr 1, 2021 10:57 PM
Apr 1, 2021 7:30 PM

Jul 2009
BastardNas said:
ame-furi said:

I have to agree with what you said. Looking back it looks like they merged together 2-3 ep from 2001 series in 1ep here, honestly if i havent watched it before i wouldn't be able to understand what the heck is this show about. I just hope it will slow down in few ep or it will be un-watched for me.

Yeah, I rewatched the 1st ep just for comparison and the pacing in the remake is godawful. The scenes are jumping at the speed of light almost, there's no breathing room and no character development. I know it's supposed to follow the manga, but it doesn't mean they have to be soooo faithful that they can't add at least some more dialogue which could help make the characters much more interesting. They did that in the 2001 anime, there was some anime only content and it actually improved the whole story. Here's just like... "Something something Mosuke, here's your Harusame, you're gonna be my guardian spirit, badaboom done." Why would anyone want to connect with and care about those characters, their stories and relationships if they're introduced in such an awful way...
Apr 1, 2021 7:45 PM
Jan 2021
ame-furi said:
BastardNas said:

Yeah, I rewatched the 1st ep just for comparison and the pacing in the remake is godawful. The scenes are jumping at the speed of light almost, there's no breathing room and no character development. I know it's supposed to follow the manga, but it doesn't mean they have to be soooo faithful that they can't add at least some more dialogue which could help make the characters much more interesting. They did that in the 2001 anime, there was some anime only content and it actually improved the whole story. Here's just like... "Something something Mosuke, here's your Harusame, you're gonna be my guardian spirit, badaboom done." Why would anyone want to connect with and care about those characters, their stories and relationships if they're introduced in such an awful way...

Is not the source material fault it is the adaptation, they are trying to fit around 300 manga chapters inside 52 episodes, that is 6 chapters per episode so they have to cut A LOT to make that happen.
Apr 1, 2021 7:48 PM

Jan 2020
I thought Youko Hikasa wasn't a good option as Yoh's seiyuu, but it's ok i guess. OP is....ok? Expected something way better from the legend itself Megumi Hayashibara, but age probably won't allow her to reach such high notes of songs like "Northern Lights" or "Over soul". I don't dislike the OP tho, but the ED is not my thing at all, i thought it was a Vocaloid song before reading it was Megumi's voice lol.
Pacing looks rushed, i hope it will only be for the first episodes and there will another season or "part 2" of this remake, i don't think 52 episodes will be enough to have a decent pacing of the story.
Apr 1, 2021 7:57 PM

Jul 2009
brayka said:
ame-furi said:

Is not the source material fault it is the adaptation, they are trying to fit around 300 manga chapters inside 52 episodes, that is 6 chapters per episode so they have to cut A LOT to make that happen.

I guess you're right, the whole museum scene wasn't even there.
The manga already has a slightly faster pacing compared to the old anime, and they decided to cut even more. Ridiculous.
Apr 1, 2021 8:05 PM
Mar 2021
Okay, interesting story and good start. Anw, I didn't watch the original version and maybe I'll watch it soon. The OP & ED are also good, the point is I like this and I will look forward to the story in the future.
Apr 1, 2021 9:38 PM
Mar 2021
Sorry but is this like a remake or something...?
Apr 1, 2021 9:56 PM
Mar 2021
I haven't watched the original but overall I really liked this episode and I definitely will be watching more. I really like Yoh's and Oyamada dynamic so far
Apr 1, 2021 10:00 PM
Aug 2020
When I was a kid I watched some episodes of the OG Shaman King at a friend's house. I don't remember much of those episodes tho, plus it was the 4Kids dub so it was obviously butchered. I've been wanting to check out the rest of this series for awhile and it looks like I finally will with this remake. Looks cool so far
Apr 1, 2021 10:01 PM
Feb 2020
Okay so original being one of my favorites and one of my first animes which I ever watched I was so hyped for this remake to the point I listened opening like two times daily, but my gosh was I will what the hell is happening here if I didn't rewatched original like couple of months ago I wouldn't know what is happening to save my life. The amount of material which was placed in one episode was good 3 or 4 episode of original I don't know what they were thinking but my gosh am I disappointed with this. Openings and endings are not bad at all I really do hope they will slow down cause if they continue like this I am dropping serious with ease. The fact that they didn't even bother adapting fight between Yoh and Ryuu properly and they were just like oh this is good character this is bad one lets of screen most of there arguing and story and just let them fight for 3 seconds. Not seeing and explaining story behind Amidamaru and Mosuke more really put me of. Knowing what is coming in future I really hope it won't end up like being disappointment since original show is beautiful and really deserves to be watched
Apr 1, 2021 10:06 PM

Apr 2012
Just 1 thing.... I was excited for it but now i am not.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 40 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2022

21 by almightybismarck »»
May 24, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 39 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2022

15 by almightybismarck »»
May 23, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 38 Discussion

MahiaErebeaNegi - Jan 4, 2022

26 by almightybismarck »»
May 17, 9:37 PM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 37 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2021

21 by almightybismarck »»
May 17, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Shaman King (2021) Episode 36 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

18 by almightybismarck »»
May 15, 9:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.