Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Cells at Work! CODE BLACK
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 25, 2021 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
damn this episode was really sad, completely unexpected twist. didn't expect his friend to die, that was quite unfortunate. wonder what's gonna happen from now on?
Feb 25, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2017
Glad that AC1677 helped AA2153 stop the disintegration of his lifeforce the previous episode, that was an undertaking badly needed.

The stomach is one of the vital points of the body, and having stomach ulcer is just as painful, if not more than childbirth itself with the eroding gastric acid bursting against the stomach's protective layer.

That Helicobacter Pylori is an incredibly effective bacteria to worsen the situation, much less the outpouring of acid. More than losing a single RBC like AC1677, AA2153 getting sentimential would only impede the recovery progress.

As always, antibiotics like Clarithromycin help in eradicating the H. Pylori. But to AA2153, losing a comrade in a Code Black workplace is the newest low of the Best Rookie.

Is this an even more depressing episode or what? The feels...
Feb 25, 2021 10:02 AM

Jun 2019
Damn, that Pyroli germ really did that much damage to the mucus layer of the stomach. But, thanks to the antibiotics we were able to take control over the germ.
Everyone was working hard for the body. And then we lost AC1677 RBC. And now, AA2153 doesn't want to work anymore. It's pretty sad to see AA2153's struggle to save his one and only friend. That was depressing to see.
Feb 25, 2021 10:25 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's really becoming darker and darker, the pylori was already scary but I didn't expect his friend to die like that :/ and after all this development with him it hurts even more, now MC is gonna be all depressed
Feb 25, 2021 10:42 AM
Sep 2015
The best element is still soundtrack, it's just like a hollywood movie!
Feb 25, 2021 11:05 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
To think that ulcers within the stomach will be that damaging. But man the damage that the stress is causing really is spreading wide though. That Pylori germ thats causing the ulcer really is pretty unique. RIP his best friend though. Sure he might have been unreliable once but when push came to shove he stepped up when needed. Overall an excellent ep that combined excellent action with tension and loss that reflected well just how much this body is deuterating as a result of the owner's ill judged actions.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2021 12:07 PM
May 2020
It’s so nuts that his friend died, I can’t believe red blood cells are making me cry :(
Feb 25, 2021 12:35 PM

Sep 2020
Wow he really went and died, I was expecting him to be saved or something but he's really gone it seems. Massive props to the show if he stays dead, if he comes back because he was saved off screen I'll be happy because I like the guy but if he stays dead it would make for a really interesting story.
Also this image hurts a lil now.
Stuffed_goatFeb 25, 2021 12:42 PM

Feb 25, 2021 1:11 PM
Aug 2020
man I really didn't expect this, looking forward to the next episode
Feb 25, 2021 1:44 PM

Jul 2013
This part was painful in the manga and it was even worse here, with the soundrack and voice acting. To add salt to the wound, since the anime gave more screentime to the friend of our main character, you got to care more for him before his demise ;_;
Feb 25, 2021 2:02 PM

Oct 2020
With all the stuff this guy is putting in his body, a stomach ulcer isn't too surprising, but it's pretty gruesome to watch all that lava seeping into the body and burning Red Blood Cells alive.

The death of AC1677 finally broke AA2153. Poor guy probably didn't have time to process it all in with the platelets rushing in to cover it up and the chief cell holding him back. If only they would have dealt with the H. Pylori earlier. The mood of this episode and the ED really did not gel this time. I'm not sure if a pep talk from U-1196 could bring him out of this funk.

Feb 25, 2021 3:06 PM

Apr 2018
Man that was a hard ep to watch, it was already getting worst with the Pylori bacteria but having his friend die due to him tripping and going back to save him was heart wrenching. I would be depressed too after building his character up like that. I shed a tear for my fellow RBC

R.I.P RBC
Feb 25, 2021 3:51 PM

Jun 2017
Daaamn, the friend really got killed, the feels were real. But at least we are getting a proper rebellion now.
Feb 25, 2021 4:08 PM

Aug 2016
That hit me hard, not gonna lie, RIP dude.
Also was that sad music from Naruto, but slowed down!?
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Feb 25, 2021 4:22 PM
Aug 2020
Goddamn, I knew what was coming and I'm still devastated... The voice acting of our main blood cell was amazing.
Feb 25, 2021 4:34 PM

Jan 2020
AC1677.. good job.

Things like this could be seen to come with such a decadent body, and now with the star rookie in no mood to work, few white blood cells and everyone stressed, I don't see how this can improve

To be honest I thought that the body would receive some kind of operation, the body is really surprising, isn't it?

Humans may have two eyes, but we can only see one thing
Don't use the scores to see an anime
ええい! なんでも やって やる
Feb 25, 2021 5:12 PM

Dec 2020
Oh, damn. I didn't think this show had the gonads to kill a long time character. Even when 99% of the WBCs got wiped out, WBC's posse all survived. I expected him to get saved right up until the "sploosh". RIP RBC.
Feb 25, 2021 5:26 PM

May 2020
I feel like someone ripped my heart, and that last scene with the picture from the ceremony T^T
Feb 25, 2021 5:34 PM

Mar 2019
RIP... even after losing your best friend the life must go on...I hope he will be good again and start to work soon. Only our white blood lady can bring him back (maybe???)
Feb 25, 2021 6:30 PM
Oct 2018
What? In which moment the direction actually became so good? When did Hataraku Saibou become so impactful? I definitely wasn't expecting this, after all, the protagonists are just a way to vehicle the narrative as well as being a metonymy for the entire organism; ok so, when did I start having so much empathy towards them? Man, this episode will probably be somewhere among top 10 episodes of this season, and next one also promises to have a fucking awesome criticism about the perspective that depression and not being able to work makes you useless for society and scum. In my whole time watching anime, I definetely wasn't expecting being more hyped for Hataraku Saibou than for Re;Zero (and re;zero is in an incredible climax right now too)
Akkarin! Hai!
Feb 25, 2021 6:42 PM

Sep 2011
This series is just trying to guilt trip people into taking better care of their bodies and its working

Stuffed-goat said:
Wow he really went and died, I was expecting him to be saved or something but he's really gone it seems. Massive props to the show if he stays dead, if he comes back because he was saved off screen I'll be happy because I like the guy but if he stays dead it would make for a really interesting story.
Also this image hurts a lil now.
I was curious enough to look it up, but yeah hes actually dead for real.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 25, 2021 6:54 PM
Feb 2021
All I can feel is devastation for years 😭🤧
Feb 25, 2021 7:13 PM

Oct 2017
That's why I think Cell at Work Black is much better than original Cells at Work.
It has an actual story progression and drama instead of just Slice of Life.

Finally an important cast died.
Feb 25, 2021 7:36 PM

May 2010
Ventus_S said:
That's why I think Cell at Work Black is much better than original Cells at Work.
It has an actual story progression and drama instead of just Slice of Life.

Different goals.
"Normal" one just explains, how body works normally. This is basically Slice of Life of the body.
Black shows, how non-action or bad actions can ruin normal work of said body. Yeah, this is a drama of bodily functions.
For the most people drama is just more fun, sure. But I definitely prefer Slice of Life when it comes to my own body.
Still, second season preferred a lot of things to keep unexplained, just displaying actions of cells and bacteria as "they're just stupid that way, you know", like they couldn't come up with a better explanation. So in that it's definitely worse than code black.
Feb 25, 2021 7:42 PM
Jun 2017
Wow, this episode really did hit close to home. There have been some bothersome cases of {i]H. pylori[/i] in my family, and I don't know if I'm going to be the next one in a couple of decades. Well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

F for AC1677. I did raise his death flag in this episode. Ahhh, what a pity.
Feb 25, 2021 8:35 PM

Mar 2020
AC1677...you are a good man...I salute you
made by Nate
Feb 25, 2021 8:46 PM

Apr 2015
more stress-blaming as usual.

not enough testosterone? blame stress
low sperm count? blame stress
low WBC? blame stress
low RBC? blame stress
ulcer? blame stress

because of course it's stress. not the little bacteria and viruses that constantly invades your body again and again and again slowly but surely chipping off your body's defenses. nope, it has to be stress. and alcohol.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Feb 25, 2021 9:01 PM

Oct 2017
kidlat020 said:

low WBC? blame stress
low RBC? blame stress
ulcer? blame stress

because of course it's stress. not the little bacteria and viruses that constantly invades your body again and again and again slowly but surely chipping off your body's defenses. nope, it has to be stress. and alcohol.

You conveniently ignore the smoking, drinking, bad eat habit, lack of sleeping , unprotected sex the show mentioned.

Also conveniently ignore the decrease in White Blood Cell the earlier episode mentioned.

100 points for paying attention.
Feb 25, 2021 9:17 PM

Apr 2015
Ventus_S said:
kidlat020 said:

low WBC? blame stress
low RBC? blame stress
ulcer? blame stress

You conveniently ignore the smoking, drinking, bad eat habit, lack of sleeping , unprotected sex the show mentioned.

Also conveniently ignore the decrease in White Blood Cell the earlier episode mentioned.

as if sleeping well, eating well, not smoking and drinking will suddenly magically make you immune to bacteria and viruses. no, they STILL chip away your defenses. those bad habits only accelerate your process of dying, sure, but they themselves isn't and will never be the cause of death. after 100 years bacteria will win. bad habits only reduces your lifespan, nothing more.

if you wanna point fingers, then point them to bacteria and viruses. not bad habits.

Feb 25, 2021 9:41 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I was never a fan of main RBC's friend but it was still unfortunate that he had to die in such horrific way. Not gonna lie tho, some part of me kinda wanted his death to be portrayed in a more explicit way. I mean, not even a single scream was heard when he fell into the stomach acid.

Good episode overall. As expected, RBC doesn't want to do shit anymore so I guess WBC will have to be the one to bring him back to his senses.
Feb 25, 2021 10:06 PM

Oct 2017
kidlat020 said:
Ventus_S said:

as if sleeping well, eating well, not smoking and drinking will suddenly magically make you immune to bacteria and viruses. no, they STILL chip away your defenses. those bad habits only accelerate your process of dying, sure, but they themselves isn't and will never be the cause of death. after 100 years bacteria will win. bad habits only reduces your lifespan, nothing more.

if you wanna point fingers, then point them to bacteria and viruses. not bad habits.

Lmao this comment cracks me up.

There're billions of bacteria in our everyday life.
Majority of them are beneficial and our body NEED them.
And for the ones we don't need , our body's immune system can usually handle it IF your body is healthy with good living habit, less stress, better diet.

It is when you LACK those that your body becomes weak that bacteria becomes harmful to your body.

Seriously, your comment really cracks me up.
Gl with your bad living habit. Yes bad living habit 100% affect those and make you more susceptible to disease.
Not everyone will die because of bad living habit, but some people do die from those.
Just because you didn't die yet doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

Also this show never says those stuff kill the host.
The Cells death happening in this serie are just your everyday life cycle.
They just make it more dramatic , that's all.

Most of the symptom are common in your everyday life.
The fact that your stomach hurts , heart hurts, lose hair is because of those symptoms.
The show never says those symptoms will kill the host instantly.
Ventus_SFeb 26, 2021 1:20 AM
Feb 25, 2021 11:22 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Dang! The stomach ulcer was the real deal. The gastric acid went crazy with the bad lifestyles, and devastated the surrounding stomach mucose wall, making its impossible to defend the stomach lining perimeter. Its worst by the arrival of a damn Pylori whose gave an additional damage to the surroundings stomach wall. No good bacterias this time. The exact opposite depiction with the original one. Hats down.

Rest in peace.
The desperation was real to begin.
Rbc-kun finally lost his one and only best friend. I feel bad, really a great condolence i stated to you. But, for the sake of a cuteness, i am truly relieved no shit happened to the bunch of platelets. If they showed their darkness view. Man, i can't hold it up like that poor Rbc-kun too, imho.

Okay. Time is up. There's no hope to the body, guys. Lets abandon the cockpit, and hope for getting reincarnated to the better place, Rbc-kun. But, man, that wbc looked so badass by holding the bazooka. I wonder whats goin on there? The intense mental breakdown is not going to over soon, until the body really reach its definitive death.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Feb 26, 2021 12:42 AM

Apr 2015
Ventus_S said:
kidlat020 said:

And the one we don't need for our body's immune can usually fight off by their own IF your body is healthy with good habit, less stress, better diet.

It is when you LACK those that your body becomes weak that bacteria becomes harmful to your body.

Gl with your bad living habit. Yes bad living habit 100% affect those and make you more susceptible to disease.
Not everyone will die because of bad living habit, but some people do die from those.

Those Cell death happening in this serie are just your everyday life cycle.

The fact that your stomach hurts , heart hurts, lose hair is because of those symptoms.

you missed the point.

the show (and by extension, doctors) uses stress and alcohol as a catch-all boogeyman as to why x and y happens. when in fact maybe, just maybe, it has more to do with old age.

again, low testosterone? low sperm count? low RBC and WBC? blame them all to stress. it's a great euphemism to deceive themselves and others. because obviously a 30 year old man should be just as horny and has much sperm count as a 15 year old right? otherwise they have to admit to themselves that maybe the number "18" being legal age is just completely arbitrary and BS.

Feb 26, 2021 12:51 AM

Aug 2019
Finally something interesting happened in this show.
4/5
Feb 26, 2021 1:17 AM

Aug 2019
damn didn't expect this show to actually kill off a character like that
Feb 26, 2021 4:29 AM
Sep 2020
I just wanna know, where's the pink variant of white blood cells when we need them? They're effective against giants.
Feb 26, 2021 5:41 AM

Oct 2016
Man I fucking love and hate the ED, after that depressing episode they just gonna hit us with the "Hakobe, hakobe" lmao.

Damn, didn't expect for RBC friend to actually die though, I thought the preview for this episode was just jebaiting us, that was really well done though and very impactful. They did a good job with making us feel for the friend in the previous episodes. And now our boy is depressed, stress really fucking sucks. Stress + an unhealthy lifestyle = quick death. I really hope Code Black ends with the body dying to really send the message of living healthy.
Feb 26, 2021 10:48 AM

Oct 2010
kidlat020 said:
Ventus_S said:

And the one we don't need for our body's immune can usually fight off by their own IF your body is healthy with good habit, less stress, better diet.

Those Cell death happening in this serie are just your everyday life cycle.

you missed the point.

the show (and by extension, doctors) uses stress and alcohol as a catch-all boogeyman as to why x and y happens. when in fact maybe, just maybe, it has more to do with old age.

again, low testosterone? low sperm count? low RBC and WBC? blame them all to stress. it's a great euphemism to deceive themselves and others. because obviously a 30 year old man should be just as horny and has much sperm count as a 15 year old right? otherwise they have to admit to themselves that maybe the number "18" being legal age is just completely arbitrary and BS.

Do you have any moral or ethical issue against this show pointing at bad eating habits, stress and smoking/drinking for how bad the body looks? Because this is actually pretty accurate to medical reality.

If your problem is with the show "forcing" a message of taking care of the body then it's on you, but nothing good comes from trying to outsmart a series that actually knows its sources. The combination of things described and assumed in this series can cause the damage we see. In fact, stress is a common cause for immunosupression due to the release of cortisol. It can also affect testosterone production and cause metabolic problems. Add the other bunch of bad habits and you have a deteriorating body. Alcohol producing hepatotoxicity and bad blood circulation, smoking reducing lung and bronchial function and reducing the oxygen carrying capacity of RBCs, a high amount of saturated fats in diet is a heart disease risk factor and may deteriorate blood circulation, etc.

Now, take into account that this is the same as the old and jolly Hataraku Saibou. Despite how overdramatic it gets, most of the time it's not that serious. The series is told at the cell level and there are trillions of cells in the body. The gastric ulcer and H. pylori in this episode may very well be quite mild and it seems to have been solved fastly with the appropriate antibiotic intake, but here due to scale it is described like it is the end of the world.
Feb 26, 2021 11:13 AM

Dec 2015
That sucks that his friend died trying to protect him. I knew someone important that we know was going to die because of last week's preview, but I didn't expect it to happen like that. At least the bacteria is dead at least. If I had to guess his death was instant since he fell straight through. At least his death wasn't in vain, he went out like a hero. Hopefully, AA2153 can come to terms with it and become stronger for it. I feel bad for him.
Feb 26, 2021 2:17 PM

Feb 2014
I wasn't expecting the series to go down this route. AA2153's friend has been with the thick of it since episode 1 and we've been used to the pair surviving against the odds.

So it's still a surprise to see the show have his friend make a sacrificial move to save AA2153 from falling into the acid. Any hope for any signs of him being alive by some miracle or showing up in the preview looks to be almost non-existent, so I do look forward to seeing how AA2153 tries his best to cope with his friend's death. =(

The appearance of the H. Pylori was done well, showcasing how tough the bastard is in doing damage to the stomach. Good thing the antibiotic came to save the day, once again, but it only adds to the worry for the condition of the host body even more than ever.
Feb 26, 2021 2:50 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Depression strikes again as our RBC MC looses his friend after he sacrificed himself from falling into a pit of gastric acid. He has loss the will to work and deliver oxygen to the body.
Feb 26, 2021 3:41 PM

Nov 2011
At this rate I wouldn't be shocked if the body dies. Damn man poor one out for RBC

The tides are turning and I feel like shit is going to get more dark.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 26, 2021 4:50 PM

Apr 2020
F AC1677

You had a death flag from some earlier episodes, but dying this way was very brutal.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Feb 26, 2021 5:12 PM

Dec 2015
At this point, I'm hoping the human dies soon from a heart attack or and accident. So that the cells' world ends and they don't have to suffer anymore.
Leaves from the vine~
Feb 26, 2021 5:54 PM

Apr 2015
jal90 said:
kidlat020 said:

you missed the point.

Do you have any moral or ethical issue against this show pointing at bad eating habits, stress and smoking/drinking for how bad the body looks? Because this is actually pretty accurate to medical reality.

If your problem is with the show "forcing" a message of taking care of the body then it's on you, but nothing good comes from trying to outsmart a series that actually knows its sources. The combination of things described and assumed in this series can cause the damage we see. In fact, stress is a common cause for immunosupression due to the release of cortisol. It can also affect testosterone production and cause metabolic problems. Add the other bunch of bad habits and you have a deteriorating body. Alcohol producing hepatotoxicity and bad blood circulation, smoking reducing lung and bronchial function and reducing the oxygen carrying capacity of RBCs, a high amount of saturated fats in diet is a heart disease risk factor and may deteriorate blood circulation, etc.

Now, take into account that this is the same as the old and jolly Hataraku Saibou. Despite how overdramatic it gets, most of the time it's not that serious. The series is told at the cell level and there are trillions of cells in the body. The gastric ulcer and H. pylori in this episode may very well be quite mild and it seems to have been solved fastly with the appropriate antibiotic intake, but here due to scale it is described like it is the end of the world.

call me cynical but what's the difference between dying at 40 and dying at 90? and double this question to victims of divorce-rape-child-support-alimony dads who may not even be supporting their biological children.

again, if you want to point fingers, point them at bacteria and viruses. not at bad habits.

Feb 26, 2021 6:38 PM

Oct 2010
kidlat020 said:
jal90 said:

call me cynical but what's the difference between dying at 40 and dying at 90? and double this question to victims of divorce-rape-child-support-alimony dads who may not even be supporting their biological children.

again, if you want to point fingers, point them at bacteria and viruses. not at bad habits.

One of the things I said is that stress (and other factors as well) can cause immunosuppression. This means that immune cells lose their ability to control bacteria and viruses in the body and fight against infections.

We are always exposed to bacteria and viruses, and a lot of them live in our body (heck, Helicobacter pylori introduced in this episode is a common resident in the stomach of many healthy people), so it all comes down to the capacity of the immune system to keep them in check and prevent them from performing a harmful activity in the body. So it's never "just the germs". A lot of unfavourable circumstances happen in the body before a bacteria or virus causes a disease, and this series takes them into account.

I honestly don't know where are you going with your first paragraph by the way.
Feb 26, 2021 8:01 PM

Jun 2019
Very big F in this thread for AC1677.
Feb 26, 2021 9:38 PM

Jan 2018
I know this is Code Black but, damn I did not see that ending coming... I wonder how they'll resolve Glasses' depression next?
Feb 26, 2021 9:38 PM

Jan 2018
kidlat020 said:

low WBC? blame stress
low RBC? blame stress
ulcer? blame stress

lmao wtf is your signature
Feb 26, 2021 10:17 PM

Apr 2015
0451 said:
kidlat020 said:

low WBC? blame stress
low RBC? blame stress
ulcer? blame stress

lmao wtf is your signature

you know its true.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 18, 2021

160 by Beguni »»
May 27, 8:54 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 7, 2021

178 by Seraschi »»
May 14, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jan 28, 2021

68 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 19, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Do you love your body?

Shizuna - Apr 8

7 by johnythepvpgod »»
Apr 12, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Saibou Black (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 4, 2021

68 by Distrekzy »»
Sep 27, 2023 7:08 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.