Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 27, 2017 2:17 PM

Mar 2017
Why this show is so underrated and almost no one talking about it?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 27, 2017 2:19 PM

Apr 2016
7.6 is definitely not "underrated".
Jul 27, 2017 2:46 PM

Mar 2016
SunsetBlink said:

Lolis.

First episode is also confusing and set too far ahead to be coherent, and generally not that great.
Jul 27, 2017 4:59 PM

Nov 2012
This show is bad, nothing else to say.

My Candies:

Jul 27, 2017 11:47 PM

Oct 2014
SunsetBlink said:

it happens all the time, my friend.
especially in MAL.
Jul 27, 2017 11:56 PM

Oct 2015
Well if many people talk about this then it will become overrated. Everything never goes right...
Jul 28, 2017 11:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, for one thing, the show has some visible flaws so that kind of drags the ratings of the show down. Furthermore, the show started off in a disarranged order so it might be that many people didn't realize that although I do realize it's very unlikely. However, if you paid close attention from episode 1, you'll see that the rating is gradually increasing. For instance, last season's Tsuki ga Kirei started off with a low 7.2 but is currently at mid-8's so I'm guessing this show will also follow that. I rated it a 9, by the way, and I think the show is amazing. If you do too, then just don't mind the ratings and enjoy the series.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 28, 2017 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
People don't even bother watch show with lolis, synopsis looks generic and 1st episode wasn't that good.
Jul 29, 2017 9:02 AM

Mar 2012
We are on MAL.
People prefer trash anime like Youjo Senki. ^^
Jul 29, 2017 10:21 AM

Apr 2016
This show so far has looked to target the mature viewers and those with an attention span longer than a goldfish; which unfortunately excludes a big chunk of folks on here.

Personally I felt the first two episodes were the strongest of the season, neck and neck with Made in Abyss; but I'm worried about episode 3. It showed signs of degenerating to a generic moe action show; maybe to try and attract the casual crowd.

Hope the writing holds up.
Jul 29, 2017 10:30 AM

Oct 2016
Not enough people are watching this which is a mistake in the first place.
Jul 30, 2017 7:24 AM

Oct 2016
Maybe because of the title? I also skipped this anime because I thought it was another generic magical girls show XD

I'm glad I tried it~ it's now one of my fave show this season.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Jul 30, 2017 1:11 PM
Jan 2016
HaarWyvern said:
We are on MAL.

Actually, i would personally say that Youjo Senki has a better dialogue that this anime, I mean, there must be like 6 scenes in the first 2 episodes where the girls say "because we are spy" hahahaha (please don't take my comment as a full defence on Youjo Senki just because my picture, I know that was an edgy anime but I think that the dialogue and the direction were a lot better than this anime).
Jul 30, 2017 2:02 PM

Mar 2012
MyNameIsFER said:
HaarWyvern said:
We are on MAL.

Actually, i would personally say that Youjo Senki has a better dialogue that this anime, I mean, there must be like 6 scenes in the first 2 episodes where the girls say "because we are spy" hahahaha (please don't take my comment as a full defence on Youjo Senki just because my picture, I know that was an edgy anime but I think that the dialogue and the direction were a lot better than this anime).

Np haha. ^^
It's not my opinion tho. :p
Jul 30, 2017 2:36 PM
Sep 2016
My irl friends didn't bother with it just because the main characters look underaged so I'd guess this is something that can turn people off, even though is pretty stupid.
Jul 30, 2017 6:57 PM

Dec 2009
This show is underrated in the sense it doesn't have huge viewership. Why is that? Well frankly, i was hesitant to watch it until someone told me i was missing something really unique... Then i realized this show was pretty cool........
Then i realized this show is BLOODY BRILLIANT.

Why is it not growing in popularity? People are stupid, maybe they can't follow what's going on.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jul 30, 2017 7:12 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because its moe lol

despite being very dark, its still moe as fuck, therefore less viewership for people who want their badass anime to be manly
Jul 31, 2017 1:28 PM
May 2016
because if you just look at the cover image for the anime, it looks like a generic "shounen" anime with lolis in it with a generic story. appearance is something a lot of people on this site are attracted to, and if the cover image looks generic, then a lot of people will just pass it by as a bad anime. at least, this is what i think
Jul 31, 2017 1:38 PM

Jan 2017
Underrated or not, it depends on a person's point of view I guess?
Jul 31, 2017 6:52 PM
Jan 2015
People who came in expecting a moe show were disappointed, and people who ignored the show because it looked moe will never see it, so the audience might have ended up fairly small.
Jul 31, 2017 8:16 PM

Mar 2016
Probably because it's on Amazon Anime Strike--who doesn't know the concept of pricing system?

I mean, Made in Abyss is (I think) pretty underwatched too
No seriously.
Jul 31, 2017 11:53 PM

May 2015
knktzvra said:

Really solid reasoning there bud.

Aug 1, 2017 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
It's higher than expected. not underrated IMO.
Aug 1, 2017 6:50 AM

Mar 2016
4742 votes of 21777 watching, 408 on-hold and 748 drops...

Wait 'til the end of the season to post something like this next time.
Aug 1, 2017 8:59 AM

May 2012
Princess Principal in my opinion deserve to be more popular. I'm enjoying this show as much as the most popular in this season like Kakegurui and Fate/Apocrypha if not more

Aug 1, 2017 7:50 PM

Jun 2015
It's still airing, for one, so the score could swing either way. In general, MAL scores above 7.5 are pretty good, though. I'm loving it, just started watching today. Cute girls, action, intrigue, and even the possibility of an actual Yuri couple? YES arigatou.

I haven't rated yet, but it's looking to be a solid 8 if it keeps up this pace.
Aug 1, 2017 9:32 PM

Mar 2009
I wish MAL would delete these "underrated" and "overrated" threads.
Aug 1, 2017 10:00 PM

Jun 2011
Swagernator said:
7.6 is definitely not "underrated".

Some people define, underrated as not enough people rating it. Don't get your panties in a twist. Honestly that is how I would define it myself.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 2, 2017 12:22 AM

Jul 2014
How I see it:

-The name doesn't reflect what the anime is about. It makes you think it is another school anime, full of moe girls doing moe things. The name is the first thing you use to identify an anime, didn't help this time.

-Dark, but moe at same time, with a crew full of very young moe girls. Although they are serious on what they are doing, the character design is not appealing for a large audience.

-The first episode was a bit messy, a lot of people tends to drop whole series depending of how good it starts.

I just started to watching this one today, after 2 episodes I can tell it is pretty decent and its story rather interesting. The location and punk steam design make it a bit more attractive for me.

Aug 8, 2017 1:00 PM
Mar 2017
Kodomodere said:
the main characters look underaged so I'd guess this is something that can turn people off

This confuses me. Isn't like 90% of anime high school aged characters?

Granted, young looking characters can be a problem if they are overly sexualized. But so far that does not seem to be the case in this show.
Aug 8, 2017 1:15 PM
Sep 2016
sherpico said:
Kodomodere said:
the main characters look underaged so I'd guess this is something that can turn people off

This confuses me. Isn't like 90% of anime high school aged characters?

Granted, young looking characters can be a problem if they are overly sexualized. But so far that does not seem to be the case in this show.

They are all underaged in anime, most of the times, so the term underaged for me just means that they look younger than 15.
Aug 8, 2017 1:20 PM
Mar 2017
Kodomodere said:
They are all underaged in anime, most of the times, so the term underaged for me just means that they look younger than 15.

Maybe I'm not the best judge, but I would say only two of the chars (Beatrice and Chise) look under 15. To me Ange and Princess look high school aged, while Dorothy looks (and is) 20.
Aug 8, 2017 1:24 PM
Sep 2016
sherpico said:
Kodomodere said:

Maybe I'm not the best judge, but I would say only two of the chars (Beatrice and Chise) look under 15. To me Ange and Princess look high school aged, while Dorothy looks (and is) 20.

I personally don't really mind moe designs, am just pointing out that this particular design tends to make the characters look very young and that could turn non seasonal anime watchers off, since they are not used to these designs.
Aug 8, 2017 1:32 PM

Jul 2017
While I like the show, I won't deny it does have flaws. Maybe if the characters were grown ups, it would have a more mature atmosphere to it. But considering the studio behind it, they tend to do creative stuff.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Aug 9, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2016
Since it's actas, I compare to girls und panzers and sadly it doesn't come close.

The serious-not serious humour and tone I got and love in GuP is in princess principal totally nonexistent so, I should take it seriously then, probably, but ... it doesn't work either with characters like Beatrice and the voice acting here triggers me the wrong way, it's not funny.

Furthermore it's not easy to pack an intrigue in just one episode. I think they did it very well in the first episode. Very less so afterwards, it feels rushed in many places.

I don't know how, but I suppose this show could have been a lot better (for my taste). It's still watchable though, at least for Dorothy.
Aug 16, 2017 4:35 AM
May 2016
MyNameIsFER said:
HaarWyvern said:
We are on MAL.

Youjo Senki was a good show, but only for those who could get over the absurdity of a maniacal German Loli. It shows a ruthless character willing to go to any lengths to achieve her dreams.But the best thing about Tanya's character is her self awareness. She knows her actions will leave a trail of blood, but she follows through with the regardless, because that is her nature.

Princess Principal is a spy fiction, like the older movies of James Bond.Style and Panache are paramount. Moreover,the show handles the darker and more emotional segments of the narative quite well, as evident in episode 6.
R2M2Aug 16, 2017 4:38 AM
Aug 17, 2017 9:40 PM

Apr 2013
It's OK and it's not "underrated" I see a bunch of dudes talking about it in comment sections lol

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Aug 27, 2017 10:46 AM

Sep 2016
U1111 said:
SunsetBlink said:

Lolis.

First episode is also confusing and set too far ahead to be coherent, and generally not that great.

This.

Some people don't like "all the main characters are lolis" besides one girl, it's overused or in some cases people associate it with pedophilia (which it's not) and will simply not watch it because of it.
Aug 27, 2017 2:50 PM

Dec 2015
Atm it is pretty overrated. Decent score while being boring most of the time. There are other more entertaining shows with lower score.

This one is definitely far away from being underrated.
Aug 27, 2017 3:04 PM

Nov 2011
I can't speak for everyone but I passed on watching it because it just looks like cute girls doing cute things.

Aug 27, 2017 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
Revvie-chan said:
SunsetBlink said:

it happens all the time, my friend.
especially in MAL.
Well look what score SAO got
Aug 27, 2017 3:46 PM

May 2012
Because MAL's logic is bad shows = popular.
Aug 27, 2017 5:20 PM

Mar 2016
Luthandorius said:
Atm it is pretty overrated. Decent score while being boring most of the time. There are other more entertaining shows with lower score.

I find it very relaxing for an action show, and right now, I don't consider that a bad thing. My second favorite new show this season, though this says more about the season than about the show.
Aug 29, 2017 3:05 AM

Jul 2014
It's far from underrated. If anything, this show is massively overrated primarily because this is such a terrible season that people will take anything halfway decent (which this is, in fairness) and overhype it to a ludicrous degree. Honestly, there's some entertainment value to be sure, but the writing is nowhere near as good as people make it out to be, and has actually been pretty messy for the most part.
Aug 29, 2017 3:29 AM
Feb 2015
How is 7.6 underrated? Everything above 5 is a positive rating imo.
Sep 4, 2017 3:46 PM
Feb 2010
knktzvra said:

Your anime watching skills are bad...

Miidas said:
How is 7.6 underrated? Everything above 5 is a positive rating imo.

Thing is, with all the small details, animation, characters, this shows deserves being closer to 10 than 7.
Sep 4, 2017 3:52 PM
Feb 2010
Omelettecat said:
I can't speak for everyone but I passed on watching it because it just looks like cute girls doing cute things.

It certainly is, if you just look at the screen with your brain turned off. This is far better than anything this year has offered, aside Shouwa Rakugo, Re:Creators, LWA and KonoSuba.
Sep 4, 2017 4:20 PM

Nov 2011
Rufix said:
Omelettecat said:

It certainly is, if you just look at the screen with your brain turned off. This is far better than anything this year has offered, aside Shouwa Rakugo, Re:Creators, LWA and KonoSuba.

I see. Maybe I'll give it a try then. Made in Abyss and Alice to Zouroku were pretty good this year imo. I watched the first couple episodes of LWA and couldn't really get into it. KonoSuba was okay, definitely had some funny moments. Have yet to watch Re:Creators or Shouwa Rakugo.

Sep 4, 2017 4:23 PM
Feb 2010
Omelettecat said:
Rufix said:

I see. Maybe I'll give it a try then. Made in Abyss and Alice to Zouroku were pretty good this year imo. I watched the first couple episodes of LWA and couldn't really get into it. KonoSuba was okay, definitely had some funny moments. Have yet to watch Re:Creators or Shouwa Rakugo.

Forgot Made in Abyss, it's great too! It's a good season :)
Sep 4, 2017 4:28 PM

Sep 2014
Rufix said:
Omelettecat said:

It is mostly a CGDCT. Sure it's a lot more than just cute girls doing cute spying things. But in an ordinary spying anime I wouldn't normally care about the characters discuss amicably while drinking tea. The plot isn't deep either. We know that they are infiltrating, but the villain's motive remain obscure and the precursor of the revolution wasn't clearly explained (or maybe I missed that part).

What I like about this show is that it almost exclusively revolve around the main characters ordinary life as spies. It doesn't try to delve the story into some elaborated context. This is why the anime isn't presented in chronological order. It tells you that the story is there for the setting. It's a character driven story featuring cute teen girls. Notice how the characters backstories are mostly related to the character development only.

I'm not enjoying this anime for its story, but rather for the characters and for what they are doing. At the end of an episode I'm saying: Wow they were cute and badass, I'm impressed! And this is what a spying show is about. To impress the viewer.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

102 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 17, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2017

132 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:11 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

205 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 8:04 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Thatonebadbro - Sep 24, 2017

183 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:31 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

117 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.