Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 11, 2017 5:28 PM

Jun 2014
Asking for recommendations doesn't always work well, especially if the preferences differ greatly. Has anyone created clubs in which only persons with high affinity with a group member can join? This way, each member can browse each other's rated anime and find something they will also likely to rate highly.

How does one form a club anyways?
Jul 11, 2017 5:31 PM

Jun 2015
High affinity is not a great measure either. In fact, recs are more likely to yield better results (provided that you be clear in stating what you want to watch)
Jul 11, 2017 5:38 PM

Jun 2014
Brb said:
High affinity is not a great measure either. In fact, recs are more likely to yield better results (provided that you be clear in stating what you want to watch)

In a perfect world, I would have high-affinity members giving me recs, provided I was clear in stating what I want to watch ;p.
Jul 11, 2017 5:52 PM

Jun 2014
Brb said:

Looking at my most recent 3 recommendation requests, 10 recs failed and 8 recs were successful. Now, the ten failures are not the fault of the recommenders, it is just we have different preferences that are too complicated and in-depth to list them all. I wasn't very specific with some of them too, so that was my fault.

Here are the threads I created for the recs:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1595597&show=0#post4
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1554595&show=0#post10
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1499524&show=0#post9
Jul 11, 2017 6:01 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
GrimorumInvoke said:
Asking for recommendations doesn't always work well, especially if the preferences differ greatly. Has anyone created clubs in which only persons with high affinity with a group member can join? This way, each member can browse each other's rated anime and find something they will also likely to rate highly.

It sounds kind of like it'd turn pointless quick tbh, assuming it'd catch on in the first place

Like, think about it - if you take 3 people, it's possible for one member to have high affinity with the two other people, but the two other people having low affinity with each other. In spite of that, all 3 would still get into the club because they have a high affinity with another member, which is what you said the entry point is. Eventually it wouldn't be particularly different than what you seem to want to avoid because 2 people having a high affinity with each other doesn't mean that everybody after them is also going to have the same high affinity. You'd still probably be running into people you have low affinity with because they had a high affinity with somebody in your club and thus got in.

I don't see how this would make recommendations any more successful basically, because it operates off of the assumption that if two users have a high affinity with one another then they'll never run into a person they have split affinity with

Affinity is kind of meaningless outside of a one-on-one basis it feels like

Jul 11, 2017 6:14 PM

Jun 2014
Manaban said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

It sounds kind of like it'd turn pointless quick tbh, assuming it'd catch on in the first place

Like, think about it - if you take 3 people, it's possible for one member to have high affinity with the two other people, but the two other people having low affinity with each other. In spite of that, all 3 would still get into the club because they have a high affinity with another member, which is what you said the entry point is. Eventually it wouldn't be particularly different than what you seem to want to avoid because 2 people having a high affinity with each other doesn't mean that everybody after them is also going to have the same high affinity. You'd still probably be running into people you have low affinity with because they had a high affinity with somebody in your club and thus got in.

I don't see how this would make recommendations any more successful basically, because it operates off of the assumption that if two users have a high affinity with one another then they'll never run into a person they have split affinity with

Affinity is kind of meaningless outside of a one-on-one basis it feels like

Good observations, but I think we need to test it out. Knocking down ideas without even testing them is fruitless. Even if this fails, we can learn from it and perhaps develop something better in the process
Jul 11, 2017 6:19 PM

Oct 2015
Knocking down ideas that are statistically speaking likely to fail very badly is not fruitless , its faster to find anime you yourself know you'll like then wait for reccs
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Jul 11, 2017 6:38 PM

Jul 2014
I don't even understand how affinity works. I've look at shared anime with a person with high Affinity with me and our rating didn't look similar in the slightest. I don't think its accurate or useful at all.
Jul 11, 2017 6:44 PM

Jun 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Knocking down ideas that are statistically speaking likely to fail very badly is not fruitless , its faster to find anime you yourself know you'll like then wait for reccs

It is this kind of attitude that stops people from innovations. We would not have airplanes, internet, cars, etc., if everyone had this attitude.

Failure is part of a process that leads to success
Jul 11, 2017 6:48 PM

Feb 2016
High affinity doesn't mean much, like, there are tons of profiles which have high affinity with mine and we still disagree in so many things. Also, we have shit affinity but i can recommend things you will like based on what you previously liked. If you know how to ask what you want to watch people can give you nice recommendatations.

That said, recommendations still sucks sometimes because there are a lot of people who lacks common sense and will recommend you whatever they like, even if doesn't have much of what you want.

Guess that in the end i still prefer doing my search instead of asking random recs.
Jul 11, 2017 6:52 PM

Apr 2017
>clicks on profile
>-55% affinity
>gave SnO a 5

welp
im gonna have to diagnose you with bad taste
sorry about your condition, feel better soon

to form a club go to the club section and click create club, lol
イカロス --I K A R O S D E S U-- "Hai master" <3cruise

Becoming the bell of my heart
dont click here, baka -->> https://soundcloud.com/franciscan-guitar
Jul 11, 2017 7:09 PM

Oct 2014
just go and watch the people with high affinity favorites if you care that much
recomending me shows i like is hard in general regardless of how high the person affinity can be
Jul 11, 2017 7:23 PM

Jan 2013
Tsukihiko said:
Guess that in the end i still prefer doing my search instead of asking random recs.
This will always be better than recommendations, thank you.
Jul 11, 2017 7:35 PM

Oct 2015
GrimorumInvoke said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

It is this kind of attitude that stops people from innovations. We would not have airplanes, internet, cars, etc., if everyone had this attitude.

ok tell me then, what is your full plan, once you start the club, whats the criteria, how is it gonna go, how do you plan to stop low affinity etc
Jul 11, 2017 8:17 PM

Jun 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:
GrimorumInvoke said:

ok tell me then, what is your full plan, once you start the club, whats the criteria, how is it gonna go, how do you plan to stop low affinity etc

I was hoping this would be a collaboration process. First of all, I'm not familiar with how affinity works. It is based off the Pearson correlation coefficient? One person explained affinity as follows: "It has to do with a combination of number of anime shared along with the differences in score. So if you have a bunch of shared anime with another person but your scores are different for all of them, then you have negative affinity."

First, we need to establish how many "shared" and how high of an affinity is required for a good match.

Second, we need many club members for analyzations.

Third, this is the most important part. I will ultimately fail at some point and will need advice and different ideas on how to do things. Even if this entire affinity club fails, I hope it will lead to the birth of something else.

I believe that if this succeeds, there will be a hundred small clubs of 20+ people who all have high affinity. That is quite a huge dream though
GrimorumInvokeJul 11, 2017 8:25 PM
Jul 11, 2017 8:25 PM

Oct 2015
maybe learn how affinity works first

match with who, even if theoretically, you get 5 person, 1-5 all with high affinity and shared with you, person 1 may have low affinity with person 2 and 4, and medium with 3 and 5, problem is not that high affinity, problem is how you gonna solve not everyone having high affinity just to satisfy your laziness you search for anime
Jul 11, 2017 8:26 PM

Jun 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:

match with who, even if theoretically, you get 5 person, 1-5 all with high affinity and shared with you, person 1 may have low affinity with person 2 and 4, and medium with 3 and 5, problem is not that high affinity, problem is how you gonna solve not everyone having high affinity just to satisfy your laziness you search for anime

I don't think it is laziness at all. It is an alternate way that may possibly be better than asking for recs.
Jul 11, 2017 8:27 PM

Sep 2012
GrimorumInvoke said:
Brb said:

In a perfect world, I would have high-affinity members giving me recs, provided I was clear in stating what I want to watch ;p.

Sorry to break that perfect world but that is not how things works...
Jul 11, 2017 8:29 PM

Jun 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:

What if the new member must be within 90% affinity with the club founder? Is that number too high to match with? Is there an external website that can help search for high affinity matches?
Jul 11, 2017 8:39 PM

Oct 2015
http://affinity.animesos.net/

yolo, i gave you the tools to find members, and already warned you, im not obligated to do anymore
Jul 11, 2017 8:54 PM

Jun 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:
http://affinity.animesos.net/

yolo, i gave you the tools to find members, and already warned you, im not obligated to do anymore

Wow, ty, that site is amazing. It synergizes so well with MAL.
I checked out the affinity and it worked amazingly well.

I compared my completed ratings with completed ratings for this person's MAL:
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/madecon?status=2
24 Shared, 83 affinity

Here are the results of 17 shared COMPLETED anime:
8/6
10/9
10/8
6/4
7/6
9/8
10/7
8/7
10/8
10/9
8/8
10/10
10/9
9/8
8/7
8/6
8/7
Jul 11, 2017 9:43 PM

Jun 2014
I asked 50 people with high-affinity ratings to join my club and it took forever. I wish there was an easier way to contact them
Jul 11, 2017 9:54 PM

May 2015
Or just add people with high affinity to your friend list and look at their list when searching for a new anime.
zalJul 11, 2017 10:14 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2017 10:09 PM

Jul 2012
Affinity will tend to shrink as you watch more anime no matter how high it appears to be early on. So technically you could but at some point the bar that you considered decent affinity would likely have to be lowered (unless you just purposely leech their scores to artificially keep it high). As a result the club would grow to be much smaller thus losing the initial purpose of seeking out recommendations making the recs more valuable.
Especially if you're looking to match up with other people's lists because those minor differences with scores will end up having long term affinity differences.
GamerDLMJul 11, 2017 10:18 PM
Jul 11, 2017 11:37 PM

Oct 2014
Yeah and then when someone starts rating a bit differently to the group, boot them out. Nice.

Anyway, affinity is one dodgy as hell feature. I've seen someone with 80% affinity but with only 9 shared anime, and we didn't even rate those too similarly...
Jul 11, 2017 11:43 PM

Nov 2011
While from a purely theoretical standpoint I think the potential problems Manaban raises are legitimate... I'm already in a club where the majority of the regulars have similar taste/values, and it's more consistent than you might think. (Note that having similar affinity is by no means a requirement to join said club. People of similar taste/values just seem to congregate there for one reason or another.) There's enough shared understanding for discussions to be easier, yet enough differences in opinion to warrant discussions in the first place. It's also particularly helpful to me to ask for recs in said club.

Btw people, use anime stats pages. You can see the scores all of your friends have given the anime in question, and if you have a lot of high-affinity friends like I do then that can be an excellent indicator of whether that anime is worth trying.

Anyway, of the 70 people I currently have friended, 30 of them either are or were regulars in the above mentioned club. For the purpose of demonstrating that what this thread suggests is possible I will list each of our affinities and how many anime we share.

I consider 50%+ to be exceptional, 30%-49.9% to be good, 10%-29.9% to be alright, and (-)10%-9.9% to be meh in terms of shared taste/values. There are a couple sub-fifty shared anime people in there, and that probably isn't enough for an accurate read in those cases, but overall I think this is really very good in terms of finding similar-minded people gathered in one spot.

It wouldn't surprise me if people of other taste/value dispositions could potentially reproduce that.
TripleSRankJul 11, 2017 11:48 PM
Jul 12, 2017 1:21 AM

Feb 2013
if user A and user B have high affinity, and user B and user C have high affinity, that does not mean that A and C also have high affinity
Jul 14, 2017 12:06 PM

Jun 2014
romagia said:
if user A and user B have high affinity, and user B and user C have high affinity, that does not mean that A and C also have high affinity

I assume that if A and B has 90% affinity, and B and C has 90% affinity, then
A and C will likely have 70-90% affinity. A and D will likely be 60-90% affinity. Margin of error is reduced if high affinity is a requirement

I messaged over 50 members that have logged in MAL in 2017. None of them responded...
Jul 14, 2017 1:10 PM

Sep 2015
Someone needs to have above 80% affinity to me and also have to think similarly about the anime I'm the most serious about. I have high (above 65%) affinity to people with over all crap taste with enough flukes to deceive the system.

Also a club like this would be pointless, since it's too diverse. Almost everyone would need their own high affinity club.

And lastly, you already can search for people you have high affinity to: http://affinity.animesos.net/

More topics from this board

» What made Legend of Korra worse than the original series?

Conceptualhero - Mar 18, 2021

24 by Nurguburu »»
10 seconds ago

Poll: » Do you self-insert? ( 1 2 )

ateks - Sep 7, 2022

74 by Bruh69XD »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - Today

22 by Bruh69XD »»
19 minutes ago

» Who is your first and second favorite Jujutsu Kaisen character and why?

Inner_Dragon - Yesterday

14 by Bruh69XD »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 2 hours ago

8 by FanofAction »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.