Forum Settings
Forums

How do you remember names of the characters?

New
Apr 4, 2017 11:20 AM
Mar 2017
I am having difficulty remember names of the characters and pronunciation? I understand the story and at times I get a little confused.

Do you think it is wise to start writing down the characters and the episode I just watched including story?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 4, 2017 11:27 AM

Jun 2012
I barely ever remember character names. I have a hard time remembering people's names in my daily life. This dude Alex that has reintroduced himself to me a bunch of times ended up being called Ryan, Chris and James by me on several occasions. He had to correct me each time. Now, every time someone introduces themselves to me, I let them know that I'm bad with names and forgetful. I digress, but when it comes to characters, I describe their features and "personalities" (haha as if anime characters have actual personalities) instead of trying to remember their kazawasukiyama names.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Apr 4, 2017 11:33 AM

Jan 2013
I keep MAL's "Characters&Staff" tab open while watching. I don't even remember rl people's names so I hardly ever remember names of anime characters other that MCs, and sometimes I have problem even with MCs if the main cast is big.
Apr 4, 2017 11:35 AM

Sep 2016
Usually has to be a character I really like in order to remember their names. Some of them are easy (Mio) and some are a bit more complicated (Dekomori). The better the character, the easier it is to remember their name. Also, nobody is going to forget Inuyasha because they say it a freakin billion times in the anime.
Apr 4, 2017 11:37 AM

Mar 2017
I usually remember character names, I don´t remember most of the names irl though :D My mind is perfect at remembering things irrelevant for real life.
Apr 4, 2017 11:38 AM

Aug 2016
I remember the main characters (if it's a small-ish amount) and notable side characters.
I know a lot of characters in FMA, Soul Eater and Detective Conan though as they are my favourites lol
Apr 4, 2017 11:41 AM

Jan 2017
i don't even know most the name off my fav and i do not really care i can't remenbers names of anime most of the time when someone tell the name of the movie i always ask him to tell me what hapen to know if i know it or not
Apr 4, 2017 11:46 AM

Jan 2015
LordPlucky said:
Usually has to be a character I really like in order to remember their names. Some of them are easy (Mio) and some are a bit more complicated (Dekomori). The better the character, the easier it is to remember their name. Also, nobody is going to forget Inuyasha because they say it a freakin billion times in the anime.

Also I can assume the MC (Inuyasha) is also the title of his name :3
Like it would be really hard for people to forget Naruto because his the MC lol X3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Apr 4, 2017 11:47 AM

Jan 2015
Master-Slave said:
I am having difficulty remember names of the characters and pronunciation? I understand the story and at times I get a little confused.

Do you think it is wise to start writing down the characters and the episode I just watched including story?

I can remember the characters names and if I have rewatched it many times I can even remember the side characters names (not the totally insignificant ones) like from Dragon Ball or One Piece :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Apr 4, 2017 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Over time, you'll get a hang of how Japanese names are used. Not to be a weeb, but just from anime, I know what names are surnames and what are given. I also know when a name is "weird." I think you'll figure it out, just keep trying to remember names. I don't suggest keeping a characters tab open since it'll only stunt your ability to recall.
Apr 4, 2017 11:53 AM

Sep 2016
Ultimatedeath said:
LordPlucky said:

Like it would be really hard for people to forget Naruto because his the MC lol X3

Yup, which is why we need to rename "Bleach" to "Orihime and Some Other People" ;-)
Apr 4, 2017 12:13 PM

Apr 2016
I use an advanced storage device to store all my favourite characters' names. It's called 'The World's Fastest computer'. Commonly known as the 'Brain'.
Apr 4, 2017 12:15 PM

Aug 2011
Sounds like I'm not the only one forgetting names! Damn my short term memory.

Just try to memorize sir names. That helps.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Apr 4, 2017 12:24 PM

Aug 2016
Are you watching dubbed? If you're watching subbed, it's easier to remember the names because both the character says it and it is displayed on the subtitles when you read thus helping you to reinforce your memory of that name.

Of course the more complex/longer the name is, the harder it is to remember.

You don't need to write down the characters since MAL usually have them with an image to them, so if you are ever confused/bothered about something because you can't recall who they're talking about, you can just look up the anime series you watched and find the character after the episode ends.

Apr 4, 2017 12:33 PM

Aug 2009
Master-Slave said:

I only remember the names of character of anime that I seen multiple times or has around a hundred episodes or multiple seasons of. Tor example I can tell you most thgems names of the characters in Urusei Yatsura,Ah my Goddess and the Tenchu Muyo series. But I can't tell you the names of the characters in ChäoS;HEAd, Tales of Zestria, or some other anime that I only seen once or has a short season.
Apr 4, 2017 1:07 PM

Dec 2012
I don't, usually, unless I really like the show. I have the internet for that.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Apr 4, 2017 3:18 PM

Apr 2017
I only remember the names of the characters that I like, remembering the others' names depends if I'm interested enough in the show. If I forget the name of a character, a quick Google search always fixes that anyway
Apr 4, 2017 3:22 PM

Jun 2008
I don't understand...

How do you usually remember the names of any characters in any other medium?

Well....it's the same for anime!
Apr 4, 2017 3:33 PM

Nov 2016
I only remember character names of the ones I like. If the plot is really story driven and has a lot of characters I need to know I look at the casting list and just stare at it for a few minutes until I don't get them confused.
Apr 4, 2017 3:37 PM
May 2016
I usually say their names out loud a few times
Apr 4, 2017 3:48 PM
Jun 2013
Character names are easier to remember than real peoples names...just listen for it
Animes usually repeat character names, although translators switch the name with a "you" or something else that fits more naturally in English conversation.
People expect you to remember their names after just one introduction
Anime exists
all is well
Apr 4, 2017 8:58 PM

Feb 2017
I honestly don't normally remember them unless it's a character that really stood out to me. Sometimes I'll get more familiar with some of the names as I look up more stuff about the anime if I really liked it, but normally I'll forget the names after I finish the anime.
I do have somewhat of a bad memory anyway though.
Apr 4, 2017 9:04 PM

Nov 2014
I usually do when I'm watching the show, or when the show is airing. Usually some time after it airs, I'd end up remembering only the memorable character's names, unless they've been in some sort of emotional speech at some point.

For example, heck if I remember the name of the main character of Danmachi. But I remember "Hestia is bestia" and that's all that matters.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Apr 4, 2017 9:05 PM

Sep 2009
The only reason you can have to not remember a character's name is because the anime is bad/boring. Watch better anime.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 5, 2017 12:49 AM

Jan 2015
LordPlucky said:
Ultimatedeath said:

Yup, which is why we need to rename "Bleach" to "Orihime and Some Other People" ;-)

Yea since Bleach I always thought about the thing you use to clean with ;3

Apr 5, 2017 1:03 AM

Mar 2016
For long series it would be easy to remember their names because the series shows them at different times so you get reminded of what their name is. Otherwise, I usually try to remember only the substantial characters and ones who I like 😸 Sometimes I also play games related to such anime.
Apr 5, 2017 1:28 AM

Nov 2016
I'm really jealous of people who can remember all the students' names from Ansatsu Kyoushitsu and Boku no Hero Academia. I can only memorise Nagisa, Karma and Kayano. Also Deku and Kacchan but not their full name.
Apr 5, 2017 1:30 AM

Jul 2013
Depends of how much I'm invested in the characters or the show itself.
Apr 5, 2017 1:36 AM

Aug 2016
Yep. I remember my favorite characters names

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Apr 5, 2017 1:49 AM

Nov 2014
How do I remember names? It's easy - I don't.
I am terrible at remembering names, not sure if it is something I was born with, or I just don't pay enough attention. This also apply to real life & games, not just TV shows.

So apart from the most iconic character(s), I pretty much instantly forget their names after I finish the series.
What is wrong with loving someone who doesn't exist ? Absolutely nothing. As long as you make peace with it.
Apr 5, 2017 3:10 AM

Jan 2016
There faces and voices , they're easy to remember :3
Apr 5, 2017 3:15 AM

May 2012
It's hard but I manage it somehow. Try read like 50 manga every week chapter release.
Apr 5, 2017 3:33 AM

Nov 2011
I'm pretty good with names. I still remember the first and last names of a lot of kids I went to elementary school with.

In anime with big casts I sometimes need to hear the name two or three times to memorize it. You would think unusual names would be the easiest to remember, but I often find it a little harder if the names are odd.

Anyway, I don't write down names or anything, but I do try to take special note of them mentally as they're mentioned.
Apr 5, 2017 3:35 AM

Jul 2015
the ones i like is easy to remember their names

Elsie de lute ima x)
Lelouch lamperouge
really easy compared to korean drama names
Apr 5, 2017 3:51 AM

Dec 2014
I don't actually I just know with how the conservation goes... I forget names after every episode
Apr 5, 2017 6:51 AM

Mar 2017
I barely remember names in real life so... xD
In animes there is some names i remember but their are easy to pronounce and usually they belong to memorable characters.
Apr 5, 2017 8:33 AM

Aug 2015
Comes down to the screentime of the particular character, how much his/her name drops and the difficulty to pronounce the name. Also how interesting the character is. I keep forgetting names of some bland and irrelevant characters.
Apr 5, 2017 3:31 PM

Mar 2017
It depends how important they are to the overall anime. Unless its like Durarara!! where just about everyone is important and they keep adding new characters.... Thats when you just give up and identify them by what they wear or a defining trait of theirs.
Apr 5, 2017 6:13 PM

Nov 2014
I don't know, i just remember most of them?

Yet in real life i have a hard time remembering people's names till it finally clicks after awhile except for the small cases were i had no problem remembering right away.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 5, 2017 8:51 PM

Mar 2013
not pretty good remembering names, but since I have their looks I can remember them and I remember MC names.
Apr 5, 2017 8:55 PM

Mar 2010
It's just like remembering names of characters in a book, movie, or western TV show. Do you have trouble with those too?
Apr 5, 2017 9:16 PM
Dec 2016
Master-Slave said:

You need repeated exposure, that's all. After while, it should be stored in LTM. Although, I don't blame you for having a difficult time remembering Japanese names. I mean there is evidence that suggests that we remember words that we are routinely exposed to or words that follow the traditional conventions of our language. So, if you're an english speaker, Japanese names are harder to remember (or any foreign language). Of course, if you're constantly exposed to Japanese pronunciations, like anime fans, then it should be less difficult.
Apr 6, 2017 11:39 AM

Jul 2014
Depends on how many characters the show tries to focus on, shows like Spice and Wolf mainly focuses on 2 characters so it is hard to forget.

But if the show has too many characters i sometimes look for a group photo of the characters and put their name on the picture using Paint or whatever.

A bad example with respect to remembering names that i came across was Kokoro Connect, it has 5 main characters, all of them are introduced in the 1st episode and the characters call each other using the their first or last name interchangeably. So that was 10 names to learn for the main characters alone...
Apr 7, 2017 5:54 AM

Jan 2017
Okay okay. I'm also bad with names but here are ways to try and remember them.

I try to point them out and say their names out loud. I often do this with Kpop groups/bands since they all kinda look the same. I also say their most noticeable trait so when I see it, I'll recognize them easily.

Another one is to talk to someone about that character like they're the answer to life. The more you see/hear it, the more you'll *probably* remember it. Try to help each other remember names or if both of you don't know, google is the way.

Hope that your brain would just remember them or the author will just kill them so you won't need to remember it. You can also pick the ones you like and just remember their names.

Or just don't.

These are my ways of remembering them or I just don't remember their names at all and call them however I want. eg "That girl with glasses who took Table-kun's innocence.", "The baby with green hair that looks likes a baby Zoro" etc.
yooooooobiApr 8, 2017 3:15 AM
Sorry for my English.
Apr 7, 2017 6:06 AM

Jan 2017
nadia_nyaa said:
I'm really jealous of people who can remember all the students' names from Ansatsu Kyoushitsu and Boku no Hero Academia. I can only memorise Nagisa, Karma and Kayano. Also Deku and Kacchan but not their full name.

While reading this I was actually asking myself who is Kayano and I thought Deku was the blonde guy and Kachhan was the girl with anti-gravity quirk/power. :<<<
Sorry for my English.
Apr 13, 2017 2:39 AM

Feb 2016
Hmm this is actually hard to say.I don't remember names anytime but only if I liked a character that much or just heard the name a lot of times.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Apr 13, 2017 2:42 AM

Feb 2016
I don't have any problems with character's names for some reason - but if you're not common with Japanese or Japanese names - it might be confusing.
Apr 13, 2017 2:57 AM

Jun 2011
If the anime is really good, yes. Often it is the difference between an anime that is an 8,9, or 10 rated anime for me. Did I know their names or call them by the trope or hair color the entire show despite how much I was enjoying myself?
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 13, 2017 3:01 AM

Feb 2015
As long as i'm watching the show i remember more or less all the names, after finishing it however every name goes down the sink
Apr 13, 2017 3:07 AM

Jun 2016
A-ha, time to share my secret technique!This method is really easy, listen up:

I don't.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are considered 'the best anime clothes'?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

24 by SgtBateMan »»
3 minutes ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - 24 minutes ago

4 by Rhae »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ?

ame - 3 hours ago

21 by APolygons2 »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

27 by Serafos »»
24 minutes ago

» i think most of us know anime is just a medium, but...

LenRea - 1 hour ago

9 by WatchTillTandava »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.