Forum Settings
Forums

Do you guys hate Sports anime, or do you not mind them?

New
Aug 25, 2015 10:12 PM

May 2013
Honestly, I'm more interested in if you hate them. I hate them so much but IRL, i only have about two-three friends that watch anime and all 3 love them. I could never get into it. I don't know why. I love sports. Maybe it's the same reason I hate sports games. No idea. I tried watching Kuroko no basket twice & I hated it each time. What about you guys? Do you guys like them or dislike them? Or, even more interesting, do you prefer them to other genres?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 25, 2015 10:15 PM

Mar 2015
I've never been tempted to try them. I just don't find the concept of winning a sport as thrilling as other things.
Aug 25, 2015 10:16 PM

Jan 2008
What's so bad about sweaty guys throwing balls at each other?
Aug 25, 2015 10:18 PM
Feb 2013
Most people wont know that theyll love the genre unless they try them. I thought anime about sports sounded lame, but its surprising how addicting they are

Try Chihayafuru or Hajime no ippo, and come back and tell me if youll hate the genre. Ill be genuinely surprised if you wont find them enjoyable
KendiKongAug 25, 2015 10:22 PM
Aug 25, 2015 10:20 PM

Jun 2015
I don't particularly like the genre, but there is an audience for everything.
Aug 25, 2015 10:21 PM

Apr 2014
I can't stand the genre. Ping Pong might be the only sport anime I've ever watched and enjoyed. If I wanted to watch sports, I'd play the real thing or go watch a real game.
Aug 25, 2015 10:25 PM

Jul 2014
It's my favorite genre, and I think that mindset stems from a love of sport movies, documentaries, and stories. The genre also operates along a range of just how important the sport is to the series itself. Sport is a very easy means of providing a reason as to why the characters interact with one another as they do and it's rather simple to create really dramatic or high intensity scenes using the sports. Then you have more balls to the walls series like Kuroko's Basketball and Prince of Tennis that are just really fun to watch because despite them following rather predictable storyline it's difficult to predict what bit of crazy action is coming next. Specifically KnB exaggerated my lifelong favorite sport in the most ridiculous of ways and the only way to describe it was fun. Like if I was a little kid and saw that show the first thing I'd do afterwards would be to take my basketball and start trying to make some of the moves a reality.

Protaku94 said:
I can't stand the genre. Ping Pong might be the only sport anime I've ever watched and enjoyed. If I wanted to watch sports, I'd play the real thing or go watch a real game.
The drama in the real thing can only be appreciated if it's just ridiculously obvious or you really understand what's going on. Movies and anime hype it up more through internal monologues and music and create much different experience compared to the real deal.
Aug 25, 2015 10:32 PM

Jul 2015
i enjoyed ping pong the animation it has a different art style than most anime, you can try that one if you want. although it's a bit of a slice of life too
Aug 25, 2015 10:34 PM

May 2013
KendiKong said:
Most people wont know that theyll love the genre unless they try them. I thought anime about sports sounded lame, but its surprising how addicting they are

Try Chihayafuru or Hajime no ippo, and come back and tell me if youll hate the genre. Ill be genuinely surprised if you wont find them enjoyable

I've seen Hajime no ippo. I don't like old animation as I've grown older, which is weird.
Aug 25, 2015 10:37 PM

May 2013
ibear said:
It's my favorite genre, and I think that mindset stems from a love of sport movies, documentaries, and stories. The genre also operates along a range of just how important the sport is to the series itself. Sport is a very easy means of providing a reason as to why the characters interact with one another as they do and it's rather simple to create really dramatic or high intensity scenes using the sports. Then you have more balls to the walls series like Kuroko's Basketball and Prince of Tennis that are just really fun to watch because despite them following rather predictable storyline it's difficult to predict what bit of crazy action is coming next. Specifically KnB exaggerated my lifelong favorite sport in the most ridiculous of ways and the only way to describe it was fun. Like if I was a little kid and saw that show the first thing I'd do afterwards would be to take my basketball and start trying to make some of the moves a reality.

Protaku94 said:
The drama in the real thing can only be appreciated if it's just ridiculously obvious or you really understand what's going on. Movies and anime hype it up more through internal monologues and music and create much different experience compared to the real deal.

That's true. It's a different experience. But I think playing it is the most fun, followed by seeing the game in real life, then watching it at home, the watching an anime about the sport. Also, I wonder if people who don't like sports, enjoy anime sport genres?
Aug 25, 2015 10:53 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Sports anime provides very entertaining show for me, seeing the character's activity outside of the match, seeing how the protagonist(s) prepare for the match, and overcome his/her opponent(s) is an enjoyable sight for me. Sports anime usually also come with excellent atmosphere, soundtrack, and gold comedy, makes it even better

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 25, 2015 10:57 PM

Jun 2011
This is where people have the bias and misconception about the sports genre. Most of the sports anime isn't just about the sports itself, the focus is rather on the exploration of the characters, which is done in about every anime ever. If you really look at it, you will see that it is never about the sports itself. The sports is just there to support the story, to advance the characters and develop them, just like every anime ever.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 25, 2015 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
I love sports. Maybe it's the same reason I hate sports games.
I didn't expect someone who love and hate the same thing was exist. You don't need to force your opinions to others. It's subjective after all.
Aug 25, 2015 11:11 PM
Jul 2018
I don't hate them, I just don't watch them. I don't even like sports in real life.
Aug 25, 2015 11:21 PM

Nov 2011
The sports genre is a favorite of mine even though I don't like sports that much but I love the character development and drama of sports anime like in Ashita no Joe, Touch, and Musashi no ken. In fact Ashita no Joe is the greatest anime of all time and its about boxing.
Aug 25, 2015 11:23 PM

Nov 2011
khunter said:
KendiKong said:

I've seen Hajime no ippo. I don't like old animation as I've grown older, which is weird.
Not as much weird as it is silly tbh. Hajime no Ippo isn't even that old.
Aug 25, 2015 11:25 PM

Mar 2014
Sports anime always have tons of yaoi/yuri teasing

Yes I love them
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 25, 2015 11:26 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
I've never been tempted to try them. I just don't find the concept of winning a sport as thrilling as other things.

Same.
Aug 25, 2015 11:28 PM

Nov 2011
AntwanMantilla said:
AttackOnTetris said:

Same.
What about cute girls doing cute things? Now that's some thrilling shit amiright?
Aug 25, 2015 11:30 PM

Dec 2013
I love them.

kuroko and one outs are my most favorite sports anime.
Sarrow_00Jun 27, 2016 8:42 PM
Aug 25, 2015 11:31 PM

Jun 2011
Waifu_Strangler said:
AntwanMantilla said:

Same.
What about cute girls doing cute things? Now that's some thrilling shit amiright?
> Implying that thrill is the only way of enjoying anime.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 25, 2015 11:33 PM

Nov 2011
ToG25thBaam said:
Waifu_Strangler said:
> Implying that thrill is the only way of enjoying anime.
I was implying the opposite through sarcasm.
Aug 25, 2015 11:39 PM
Jul 2018
I agree with it being unrealistic from real sports-- which i guess could be one of the reasons i like it, because ive never experienced the real deal (i dont play sports), so i have nothing to be skeptical about.

I haven't seen very many, but what I have seen are some of my favorite series. I love Free! and Yowamushi Pedal (though i dont suggest you watch Free! unless youre into male fanservice, but Yowamushi Pedal is good for all audiences.)
Aug 25, 2015 11:48 PM

Jul 2014
kiritema said:
I haven't seen very many, but what I have seen are some of my favorite series. I love Free! and Yowamushi Pedal (though i dont suggest you watch Free! unless youre into male fanservice, but Yowamushi Pedal is good for all audiences.)
Free! is great for all audiences as well, especially during Eternal Summer where the fanservice is negligible at best. It does the high school setting right in so many ways and handles the crushing reality that youth doesn't last forever better than most. Hell most don't enjoy going anywhere near that.
Aug 25, 2015 11:51 PM
Aug 2015
For me only Hajime no Ippo, I think its a masterpiece
Aug 25, 2015 11:52 PM

Nov 2011
Carlton_White said:
It is but Ashita no Joe slaughters it.
Aug 26, 2015 12:08 AM

Sep 2012
I think I agree with the earlier comments that when you yourself are into sports IRL you know how it works and anime just becomes unrealistic. I play a myriad of sports and I can never enjoy anime of the sports that I play such as Kuroko No Baske for basketball, because I just sit back and think 'that wouldn't happen' or 'if only it were that easy'. But I by no means hate them but they are just not for me and I do enjoy sports anime that I do not excel in IRL like Suzuka for running.
- Nothing Works unless you do -

Aug 26, 2015 12:22 AM

Oct 2014
The only sports anime I've watched are Teekyuu (tennis, but after the first season I don't think they even play it anymore), Ro Kyu Bu (lolis playing basketball. More about sports than Teekyuu, but it has 5 more lolis than Kuroko, which says a lot.), and Kaichuu (archery, the main character is a trap. The second point is more important). I could also see myself watching Softenni because it also doesn't look like it's really about the sport.

At school whenever we were forced to go to the gym to watch basketball I would always sulk and wonder why we couldn't just keep doing our work. I've never been interested in sports.
Aug 26, 2015 12:36 AM

Jul 2014
N-TS said:
I think I agree with the earlier comments that when you yourself are into sports IRL you know how it works and anime just becomes unrealistic. I play a myriad of sports and I can never enjoy anime of the sports that I play such as Kuroko No Baske for basketball, because I just sit back and think 'that wouldn't happen' or 'if only it were that easy'. But I by no means hate them but they are just not for me and I do enjoy sports anime that I do not excel in IRL like Suzuka for running.

Pretty much, I'm a former basketball and football (not armpitegg) player so this is the exact reason why I won't get into anime based on those two sports.

Though, even though it isn't sports, Hibike Euphonium and Shigatsu both did a decent job for music anime, as a musician (though in both cases the music/ practicing/ playing were afterthoughts)

So I'm not entirely negative to the genre, I'm just hard to please.
Aug 26, 2015 12:42 AM

Sep 2013
Sports anime are very good and very pure anime. I love them, HnI,KnB, Major are the best of them.....
Aug 26, 2015 12:44 AM

Sep 2013
Carlton_White said:

ya Hajime No Ippo is the best sports anime.
Specially Takamura, comedy + seriousness with boxing :D
what u liked most?
my favorite match was Datesan vs Ippo
Aug 26, 2015 12:49 AM
Jul 2018
ibear said:
kiritema said:
Free! is great for all audiences as well, especially during Eternal Summer where the fanservice is negligible at best. It does the high school setting right in so many ways and handles the crushing reality that youth doesn't last forever better than most. Hell most don't enjoy going anywhere near that.
yeah i agree. i shouldve worded it differently. i believe a good percentage of the hype is because of the naked boys and fujoshi though, haha.
Aug 26, 2015 1:35 AM
Aug 2015
Paul said:
What's so bad about sweaty guys throwing balls at each other?
XD that sounds so wrong.
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain
Aug 26, 2015 1:37 AM

Jan 2013
It's my favourite genre in anime.
Aug 26, 2015 3:10 AM

Sep 2011
I generally like sport.
Sports anime for me is very dependent on the discipline a given series is about.
And few things come to mind:
- is it about a discipline I know?
+ If yes ---> Do I like/enjoy watching that sport;
+ If no ---> Why not give it a try, I may get to know something interesting

- assuming it takes place in Japan I wouldn't want to watch it if it is about sport in which Japan isn't generally good at

- not another anime about "fantastic young generation" of <insert a team sport that Japan is worse than the rest of the world>

- the more realistic approach the better, the more shounenish it is the worse

That is why I watched Chihayafuru and Ping Pong and enjoyed them immensely (more Chihayafuru).

That is why I didn't and probably never will watch:
- Kuroko no Basket (basketball and Japan don't go together; I do not like basketball; looks very shounenish),
- Hajime no Ippo (box and Japan don't go together; it is long; I do not like box),
- Free! (it looks like cute boys doing cute boys and not much competition/realism)
- Yowamushi pedal (cycling and Japan don't go together, it looks shounenish)

I might watch Haikyuu!! at some point but as much as I like volleyball I don't think there is anything new that I may find enjoyable in it and it looks shounenish.
I might watch Hikaru no Go at some point but it is sort of long and it has supernatural elements which I am afraid may influence the competition/realism.
Aug 26, 2015 3:11 AM

Dec 2012
I thought I disliked sports because I dislike sports irl but after watching Haikyuu(which became my favorite anime) I changed my opinion about this genre but then again hurr durr it's all a matter of taste

as someone already said,it's more about the characters rather than the sport itself

Free is still pretty good if you ignore the fujoshi fanservice imo
Aug 26, 2015 3:21 AM

Dec 2014
It's pretty obvious that sports genre anime aren't your thing. Judging by your favourite anime, you're probably a psychological/action fan. It's probably the cheesiness and predictability common to most sports anime that you don't like, am I right?

obscureanimefan said:
I think little girls are sexy.
Aug 26, 2015 3:25 AM

Aug 2015
I love Sport Anime.
Aug 26, 2015 3:25 AM
Nov 2014
MeinKaiser said:
I love Sport Anime.
Aug 26, 2015 3:29 AM
Jul 2018
Linaeris said:
I generally like sport.
Sports anime for me is very dependent on the discipline a given series is about.
And few things come to mind:
- is it about a discipline I know?
+ If yes ---> Do I like/enjoy watching that sport;
+ If no ---> Why not give it a try, I may get to know something interesting

- assuming it takes place in Japan I wouldn't want to watch it if it is about sport in which Japan isn't generally good at

- not another anime about "fantastic young generation" of <insert a team sport that Japan is worse than the rest of the world>

- the more realistic approach the better, the more shounenish it is the worse

That is why I watched Chihayafuru and Ping Pong and enjoyed them immensely (more Chihayafuru).

That is why I didn't and probably never will watch:
- Kuroko no Basket (basketball and Japan don't go together; I do not like basketball; looks very shounenish),
- Hajime no Ippo (box and Japan don't go together; it is long; I do not like box),
- Free! (it looks like cute boys doing cute boys and not much competition/realism)
- Yowamushi pedal (cycling and Japan don't go together, it looks shounenish)

I might watch Haikyuu!! at some point but as much as I like volleyball I don't think there is anything new that I may find enjoyable in it and it looks shounenish.
I might watch Hikaru no Go at some point but it is sort of long and it has supernatural elements which I am afraid may influence the competition/realism.
you just said no to like, all the sports out there lol. And I agree, Kuroko no Basket looks hella shounen.

except for maybe that one guy with the dumb eyebrows that always says "i am strong..." Yowamushi Pedal is not very shounen, not the dumb parts of that genre anime. I highly recommend it.

and to the "the more shounen it is the worse" comment, i agree in theory, but really if you take away all the dramatic monologue and slow motion, youre pretty much just watching an animated ball game
removed-userAug 26, 2015 3:33 AM
Aug 26, 2015 3:31 AM

Jan 2009
I suggest you try watching One Outs.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 26, 2015 3:32 AM

Aug 2015
I don't really like sports anime.. but i don't hate them either.. i just felt that it was boring..

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Aug 26, 2015 3:43 AM

Jul 2013
Kuroko Basketball is the only sports anime I've seen and I really liked most of it.
Aug 26, 2015 3:48 AM

Jun 2015
Unrealistic portrayal of the sports being shown in the series is what I despise. They should've put "Superpower" tag in those specific series to make it look reasonable(for being edgy).

Remove those kind of stuff, and you'll find great sports animu telling the story of MC's journey through success without much edgy and unreal bits and pieces.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2015 4:29 AM

Mar 2015
it has super power or not. i dislike anime that have it. the rest i will watch it.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 26, 2015 4:31 AM
Aug 2015
oue outs still one of the better sport anime out there
Aug 26, 2015 4:33 AM

Nov 2013
I don't mind it. The one thing for sure from sports series is that they're easy to marathon.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Aug 26, 2015 4:45 AM

Apr 2015
Even though I consider them the most predictable genre I still love them and find them very intriguing especially when there are interesting characters on both sides
Aug 26, 2015 4:50 AM

Sep 2011
@ kiritema

It is not that I said to not like them but more that I think I wouldn't find them as enjoyable as people claim they are.

No, I didn't mean to take away every dramatic (or not) monologue and slow motion. It is just that I wouldn't like to see it being overused and I am afraid that might be the case.

About "Yowamushi Pedal" - I do not know how it presents the races (how long are they?) but normal races I find rather boring (taking too long) except the finish if there are more than one contestant at a time.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

110 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
4 minutes ago

» Characters you want to sit on you / in your lap uwu

IpreferEcchi - Jun 10

32 by MinakoBestGirl »»
23 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 3 hours ago

11 by Swyzen »»
25 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

95 by JoeChip »»
32 minutes ago

» your most favorited favorite character vs. your least favorited favorite character ( 1 2 3 )

bucciest - Oct 26, 2022

101 by KousakaK »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.