Forum Settings
Forums

Why does some anime shows' animations sucks (diamond no ace, one piece,etc) and others are unbelievably nice (shingeki no kyojin)

New
Dec 9, 2014 6:44 AM
Oct 2014
Does it has something to do with 'how long a show will run?' For safe investment, studios make long running shows' animations sucks and WOW in seasonal (short) animes? But then why naruto shippuden and hunter x hunter animations was so nice and at the same time it's a long running show? If it's something to do with Japanese tv rating, then why fairy tail, diamond no ace, world trigger are not in the tv rating list? Confusing huh? Honestly, even I'm confused with Japanese people way of thinking
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2014 6:47 AM

Apr 2013
Your choice of examples put me off.
Dec 9, 2014 6:48 AM

May 2013
Are you serious?
Dec 9, 2014 6:48 AM

Nov 2014
1. It depends on your taste.
2. Budget.
3. Genre.

Dec 9, 2014 6:50 AM

Jun 2013
DnA has bad animation... mmkay then.
Dec 9, 2014 6:53 AM

Sep 2013
The world is not perfect, it is very sad. Every anime should just have levi spinning
Dec 9, 2014 6:59 AM

Jul 2014
lol
Dec 9, 2014 7:00 AM

Sep 2014
My eyes hurt...
[i][b]I'am the Mayor of under development residential called MAL Backstreet Residential.
Now what are you waiting for?! Come join us at MAL Backstreet Residential!!
[/i][/b]
Dec 9, 2014 7:01 AM

Oct 2014
Raiden_Ryo said:
But then why naruto shippuden...

Raiden_Ryo said:
animations...

Raiden_Ryo... said:
was so nice?

HOW TO SAVE ANIME IN THREE SIMPLE STEPS

1. To have Mars of Destruction, Skelter Heaven, and Pupa properly adapted in TV series form by Madhouse
  2. To have Inferno Cop properly adapted in TV series form by Bones, director: Urobuchi Gen
  3. An anime crossover of Mushishi x ARIA x Haibane Renmei.

Should even one of the above conditions cannot be done, anime is still at risk.
Dec 9, 2014 7:02 AM

Jul 2014
FloatingList said:

Fucking rofl, that guy in the background.
Dec 9, 2014 7:02 AM

Nov 2014
FloatingList said:
Raiden_Ryo said:
But then why naruto shippuden...

Raiden_Ryo said:
animations...

Raiden_Ryo... said:
was so nice?

Naruto really had that?

That is fukkin low-tier shit Naruto, get your shit together. You're one of the longest running anime of all time.

Dec 9, 2014 7:05 AM

Feb 2013
something something budget target audience
Dec 9, 2014 7:09 AM

Feb 2010
ffs always with the same Naruto scenes that are PERFECTLY FINE. Animation nazis these days trying to kill any kind of innovation or experimentation, it's sad. Just because someone tried something new, an OTT method of conveying motion/impact, doesn't make it bad. There are a million fight scenes animated in the same ways but god beware there is one single scene out there that dares to look different, we need to bash it constantly every day since it aired and also pretend that it somehow works as an argument to criticize the visuals of Naruto Shippuuden as a whole since it's almost 3 seconds of one episode out of roughly 400. Gotta love the anime community...
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 9, 2014 7:13 AM

Oct 2013
AzureDaora said:
FloatingList said:

Naruto really had that?

That is fukkin low-tier shit Naruto, get your shit together. You're one of the longest running anime of all time.

yeah it did and i dont get it. its meant to be "better animation" due to it using a lot more FPS but what is the point when the drawings for some of the frames look retarded as that.

Nov 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ffs always with the same Naruto scenes that are PERFECTLY FINE. Animation nazis these days trying to kill any kind of innovation or experimentation, it's sad. Just because someone tried something new, an OTT method of conveying motion/impact, doesn't make it bad. There are a million fight scenes animated in the same ways but god beware there is one single scene out there that dares to look different, we need to bash it constantly every day since it aired and also pretend that it somehow works as an argument to criticize the visuals of Naruto Shippuuden as a whole since it's almost 3 seconds of one episode out of roughly 400. Gotta love the anime community...

We didn't really bash it lol.

We're lighthearted little people, don't be too serious in the internet.

There are people who live under bridges that might get you if you become too serious.

Sep 2014
One Piece animation is bad?

[i][b]I'am the Mayor of under development residential called MAL Backstreet Residential.
Now what are you waiting for?! Come join us at MAL Backstreet Residential!!
[/i][/b]
Dec 9, 2014 7:15 AM

Jan 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Animation nazis these days trying to kill any kind of innovation or experimentation, it's sad.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Dec 9, 2014 7:15 AM

Oct 2013
BangToyib said:
One Piece animation is bad?

ye before the time skip it was good but after it is pretty trash. especially the current Dressrosa arc
Dec 9, 2014 7:37 AM
Dec 2013
Blame the studios that they're produced by. Toei Animation (producer of One Piece) are notorious for the anime they produce to have bad/outdated animation compared to anime produced by other studios like Madhouse or Ufotable.
Dec 9, 2014 7:38 AM

Nov 2014
This is quickly becoming a quality thread.

Dec 9, 2014 7:51 AM

Nov 2013
Naruto Shippuden has pretty standard animation for most of the episodes if you ask me.
Dec 9, 2014 8:03 AM

Nov 2010
Because they're different shows made by different studios. I know, it's hard to grasp. Just like how can there be an anime about pirates and an anime about going to highschool, it's ridiculous.
Dec 9, 2014 8:12 AM

Dec 2014
Not everyone can make an anime a 10/10 with animations.
They either don't have the cash or the time.
Or maybe
They focus on the plot more rather than the animations.
But overall, dont judge an anime by its animations.
And if you do, whatever im still gonna watch it lol
Dec 9, 2014 8:21 AM

Sep 2013
Budget and the ability of the hired animation artists are the obvious reasons...
Dec 9, 2014 8:39 AM

Jul 2012
Did you just fucking diss Diamond no Ace's animation?

It's brilliant. Madhouse x IG is like the best combination for a sports anime. The studio that does Hajime no Ippo and Chihayafuru collaborating with the studio that does Kuroko no Basuke and Prince of Tennis (arguably best animated sports anime)...
Dec 9, 2014 8:42 AM
Nov 2013
Different style, design, pretenses, budget.
Dec 9, 2014 9:04 AM

Mar 2013
Lets talk about the part where you can't judge quality of animation from still images.
Dec 9, 2014 10:13 AM
Oct 2014
zygisrko said:
Or maybe

zygisrko said:
Or maybe

yeah I know
Dec 9, 2014 10:17 AM
Oct 2014
mayukachan said:

It's brilliant. Madhouse x IG is like the best combination for a sports anime. The studio that does Hajime no Ippo and Chihayafuru collaborating with the studio that does Kuroko no Basuke and Prince of Tennis (arguably best animated sports anime)...

are you serious? Watching Diamond no Ace is like watching papers like Fairy Tail! You cant feel the animation; movements!
even though the animation sucks, I'm actually watching it anyway!
Dec 9, 2014 10:19 AM
Oct 2014
Gorim said:
People here are mistaking animation with art. Like OP said Dia no Ace doesn't have in anyway outstanding animation. It has artwise a sharp style with a lot of colours and great designs, but there is little to no animation. There are a lot of talking heads and impact frames which are used to replace the need for animation (basically same technique which manga frames use to create illusion of movement).

Shingeki no Kyojin does this a lot too, ofcourse there are some well animated fights, but Tetsurou Araki mostly saves animation by using impact frames, coloring and mood adjustment with music. For example the Armins speech basically has no animation at all except the 1,5 second long salute movement, but it still creates a feeling that the scene is alive. Not to mention Shingeki had enermous productional and financial troubles due to lack of animators, which led to using the still frames a lot, which Araki didn't really want to do.

To answer your original question however:

- Animators are not equally skilled. Some gain fame like Kaneda or Nakamura Yutaka because they are better sakuga artists while many are forgotten an left unnoticed because they can't advance on their careers.

- Series have different budgets and schedules. Long running series like Dia no Ace, Naruto, HxH 2011 depend a lot on the team itself and their budgets. Hunter x Hunter did a marvelous job in executing the schedule. They put an enermous amount of money and animation to 2 episodes in 6 episode cycle so the fights which were more important looked awesome. And even in the 4 other episodes which usually were more dialogue based they concentrated the sakuga in most important cuts. = Well directed.

- Kyoto Animation is example where when you gather talented people and actually pay them monthly salary (which is way above the average income of animators from others studios excluding Ghibli perhaps) you can gain trust from the producers. So producers are willing to invest more money on the production that studio makes, because they are more certain of the success of show.

These were just few reasons ofcourse depending on the series there are various of reasons. Some directors write better storyboards and are economically more efficent than others. Some series have studios that are better coordinated so they can avoid disasters within the studio. A recent example of inner troubles is Shingeki no Bahamut. MAPPA was so much behind the schedule in producing the series so they had to make a recap episode to give them more time (usually recap episodes are made to gain more time because production of the show has troubles, not to annoy or remind viewers of past episodes).

YEAH! I think that pretty much answered my questions!
Dec 9, 2014 11:23 AM

Feb 2014
attack on titan has shitty animation, I don't know what show you were watching.
Dec 9, 2014 11:26 AM

Apr 2013
That OP...

Dec 9, 2014 11:33 AM

Aug 2010
do you mean art or animation because I see a lot of people confuse the two or think that they are the same.... animation for anime and cartoons is done in a way to cut costs. You'll never see the topest tier animation unless its like a Pixar movie and a movie with crazy CG. At best, you'll get something standard or something stylized in a cool fashion.

If your referring to art, then its a choice. A professional should be able to draw in any style demanded of him/her. Most anime stick to the standard style were all use to. Some make a few more stylistic choices with the line art or color and light/shading work to get a point or certain kind of feel across.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Dec 9, 2014 11:37 AM

Jun 2014
deanzel said:
That OP...

Hahahaha.

I would say that it's personal taste in art and action. Attack on titan had our beloved cross cut action animation while one piece tends to be more up in your face and roundish xD
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Dec 9, 2014 11:41 AM

Jun 2013
deanzel said:
That OP...

1+ Damn you, why you always come up with somehow the right .gif?
Dec 9, 2014 11:45 AM

Apr 2013
Impala said:
deanzel said:
That OP...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/I05Er8A.gif[img]

Oh, people do actually like his trite recycled gifs.
Dec 9, 2014 11:47 AM

Jun 2014
Sloth_ said:
Impala said:

Your avatar image makes me laugh xD. That professor!
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Dec 9, 2014 11:47 AM

Jul 2012
Raiden_Ryo said:
mayukachan said:

are you serious? Watching Diamond no Ace is like watching papers like Fairy Tail! You cant feel the animation; movements!

lmao I can feel it. Sucks to be you then.
The animation is great. For a baseball anime, you can actually feel the speed of the fastballs.

Please give me examples on why you think it sucks instead of verbally expressing it.
Dec 9, 2014 11:50 AM

Jun 2013
Sloth_ said:
Impala said:

I'm quite new to the forum, spare me senpai.
Dec 9, 2014 11:55 AM

Nov 2012
snk isn't really the best example for good animation...
Dec 9, 2014 12:07 PM

Jun 2014
It always come down to money.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Dec 9, 2014 12:08 PM

Feb 2013
How does Daiya no Ace animation sucks? It's pretty damn good!

Dec 9, 2014 5:19 PM

Dec 2012
X = (Studio + Staff) * Budget / Your Taste
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Dec 9, 2014 5:28 PM

Mar 2008
mayukachan said:
Raiden_Ryo said:

lmao I can feel it. Sucks to be you then.
The animation is great. For a baseball anime, you can actually feel the speed of the fastballs.

Please give me examples on why you think it sucks instead of verbally expressing it.

It can be pretty difficult to convey animation quality with screenshots though.

gissellebatista said:
How does Daiya no Ace animation sucks? It's pretty damn good!

As Gorim mentioned, Daiya no Ace is heavy on the shortcuts - it certainly looks good stylistically (for a lot of people) as the characters are consistently on-model, but there's no denying that a huge part of the show is essentially panning stills and the like.
Dec 9, 2014 5:32 PM

Apr 2013
Sloth_ said:
Impala said:

Hmmm. Then I'll actually give you one of my original ones that I made.

May 26, 2015 12:28 AM

Sep 2012
Money,

Skill of Staff,

Time limits on production,

Style characteristic of studio,

Intentional detail or lack thereof for the sake of the anime series itself and the resulting mood

May 26, 2015 12:30 AM

Mar 2013
Knixd said:
Money,

Skill of Staff,

Time limits on production,

Style characteristic of studio,

Intentional detail or lack thereof for the sake of the anime series itself and the resulting mood

You feel that this post contributes enough to this thread to warrant a necro?
May 26, 2015 12:38 AM
Feb 2014
Diamond no Ace does not have "shitty" animation.
May 26, 2015 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
I feel op is talking about the art style and not the animation itself.
May 26, 2015 1:01 AM

Feb 2013
out of all the necroable threads, this must be one of the worst choices
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Underrated movies

JoeChip - 4 hours ago

32 by AJ2814 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you love your favorite character?

Shizuna - Yesterday

14 by Maou_heika »»
2 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre?

Semester1 - 4 hours ago

15 by pk8list »»
11 minutes ago

» What anime would you consider a Soft-Seinen?

Yuusey - 6 hours ago

17 by ggultra2764 »»
13 minutes ago

» What is the greatest anime crime?

SgtBateMan - 9 hours ago

19 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.