Forum Settings
Forums

Still watch an anime even after seeing poor reviews?

New
May 16, 2016 5:31 PM

Sep 2014
Are you the type of person to see bad reviews on an anime and completely ignore it or are you the type of person to still watch an anime even after poor reviews so that you can judge it for yourself? I personally tend to ignore an anime after seeing a bad review and score for it, as I don't want to watch something that would waste my time.
???

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 16, 2016 5:35 PM

Nov 2011
Depends on how long it is or what type of show. I'd rather watch a low budget gory anime with poor reviews than sit through a highly rated Moe SOL.
May 16, 2016 5:36 PM

Aug 2015
I don't pay attention to reviews (plenty of shows I enjoyed have terrible reviews), but I do look at the score. I probably won't check out anything bellow a 7, I also look at my friends ratings. I have quite a few friends that have very similar taste as me.

Airing stuff I always check out and make my own opinion, picking up a shitty show and only watching 1 episode a week isn't bad.
May 16, 2016 5:39 PM

Mar 2015
sadly, i am more care about overall score and total member rather than reviews...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 16, 2016 5:40 PM

Apr 2014
poor reviews are made by poor ppl.

therefore idc for them
May 16, 2016 5:41 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
ive never read a review about an anime.... a review is another persons opinion, and im not going to watch a show cause some nobody decided to go on a rant about it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 16, 2016 5:42 PM

Jan 2015
I only take reviews into consideration if the reviewer has high affinity/compatibility.

That being said, depending on what the reviews say are bad about the show, I may just watch it anyways - either because it might turn out good, it might be so bad it's good, or it might be so bad I'll gain a new appreciation for shows that do the same things but way better.
May 16, 2016 6:13 PM

Sep 2014
I can agree with most of the stuff said here. I mainly look at the anime's score as being more important than reviews as anime which I loved were hated by some. The statistics of an anime tend to help me decide what to watch next most of the time.
???

May 16, 2016 6:16 PM

Jan 2013
I don't even read reviews anymore. If it looks interesting to me then I'll watch it, period.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
May 16, 2016 6:25 PM
Jul 2012
I read some reviews mostly lengthy reviews that people put effort into. But some reviews like MAL labeled this as a romance and there was no romance I hate this anime. Or the girl I like wasn't picked so I hate this series.
May 16, 2016 6:28 PM

May 2015
CrownedClown said:
Are you the type of person to see bad reviews on an anime and completely ignore it or are you the type of person to still watch an anime even after poor reviews so that you can judge it for yourself? I personally tend to ignore an anime after seeing a bad review and score for it, as I don't want to watch something that would waste my time.

Depends on how detailed that review is though for me at most, I'll see the first episode of that show before I render judgement on it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2016 6:29 PM

Dec 2015
I find reviews more important than ratings.
All a rating can tell you is the score people gave it, but a review tells you why a person scored it the way they did.

Jan 2008
I don't read anime reviews but instead just look at the score as that's more than enough of a 'review' from the mass. Only exceptions I have for low rated shows are for ecchi shows cause I couldn't care less about the story, plot, development or whatever.
Jul 2018
I sometimes do a quick scan of a review but it doesn't have any real weight on deciding to watch or not.
May 16, 2016 6:35 PM
May 2014
It really depends on the genre of it. Like for example I never watch slice of life animes regardless of their ratings. But if it is a genre I like (Sci-fi) I would look into it.
"If I combine a gun and a knife.I'll create a gunknife."
May 16, 2016 6:49 PM

Sep 2014
thekoala said:
It really depends on the genre of it. Like for example I never watch slice of life animes regardless of their ratings. But if it is a genre I like (Sci-fi) I would look into it.

For genres I tend to avoid drama as I prefer to watch Animes that make me happy.
???

May 16, 2016 6:51 PM

Sep 2014
Kuma said:
sadly, i am more care about overall score and total member rather than reviews...

That's nothing bad. I reckon that's what most people do as well.
???

May 16, 2016 7:00 PM

Mar 2015
CrownedClown said:
Kuma said:

That's nothing bad. I reckon that's what most people do as well.
you can try searching on "score" threads or "member" threads and many people saying it stupid thing to do.. despite that, i found it more useful than reviews i ever read...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 16, 2016 7:17 PM

Apr 2014
Lol, every single top rated review for Erased has a 4 or lower, despite it being in the top 30 rated anime. Review scores mean nothing and are most of the times written by butthurt people who can't accept that an anime didn't go the way they wanted.
May 16, 2016 7:18 PM

Apr 2014
Everyone here should hurry and watch School Days.
May 16, 2016 7:21 PM

Apr 2016
I look at its overall score and I will watch it if it has a score over 7 since its generally liked by the viewers rather than disliked. Reviews do have value and I will look at them occasionally but I dont pay them much attention.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 2016 7:22 PM

Jan 2016
I don't read the reviews. I may check out the score but I tend to be on the "see it for myself" boat and see for myself whether I'll like it or not.
May 16, 2016 7:25 PM

Feb 2016
Sometimes I read reviews, but it doesn't determine if I watch a show or not. I really hate reading reviews after I've watched a show (especially when they disagree with my views) because it changes my perception of the show even if it's just a little bit and it distorts my judgement.

The general score (and maybe ranking) actually helps me decide whether or not I should watch a show. But my choice is usually dependent on the anime summary, animation style, and previews tbh.
May 16, 2016 7:27 PM

Jul 2010
I never read the reviews, and I used to take into accounts the ratings, but not anymore. If an anime seems interesting to me, I watch it.

"You don't only belong to yourself, you know? There isn't anything in this world that belongs only to yourself."

May 16, 2016 7:29 PM

May 2015
I don't read reviews before watching an anime, and I don't care about the scores. The only thing I read is the Synopsis. After that, I go in blind and judge the anime for myself to see whether it is good or not.
May 16, 2016 7:35 PM

Jun 2015
Who reads reviews in the first place?
May 16, 2016 7:39 PM

Mar 2015
If the reviews are typical rants about how ecchi or cliche the show is I'm gonna ignore them. You can't ever trust those reviews to give a fair judgement because the person writing probably disliked that genre in the first place and it's his bias speaking.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 16, 2016 7:51 PM

Jun 2013
Honestly i give a try to a show if the poster is interesting enough i might like it or not, i don't consult reviews or scores, because it's better this way.
May 16, 2016 7:55 PM

May 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
Depends on how long it is or what type of show. I'd rather watch a low budget gory anime with poor reviews than sit through a highly rated Moe SOL.
idk man.. Id ofc watch a Shigurui over a Pan de Peace any day but if it were a Shigurui and a Sansha Sanyou, well..

ot: I add anime to my ptw unless there isnt a single positive review in the top reviews for it and it isnt interesting or notable for being awful
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 16, 2016 8:10 PM

Aug 2015
Strangely as it is, I only read reviews after finishing a series ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 16, 2016 8:22 PM

Jul 2012
I don't read reviews but occasionally I'll glance over the scores the top voted reviews gave the show. If anything though low scores drive me to want to watch a show more. I mean if a show gets consistently high scores and hype then where's the fun in that (especially under the circumstance that I end up disappointed and bitter over the show).
But seeing a show that people are so dissatisfied with yet still gathered some attention peaks my interest more than it turns me away. That being said I'm not too picky about genres and average scores so I'm pretty much cool with a lot of shows and tend to go into most of them with some level of optimism. I would almost say I'm much more forgiving of low rated shows than high rated ones if anything.
May 16, 2016 8:30 PM
Apr 2016
Depends on what the review talk about. Usually if a friend did not recommend me it, I watch the opening, see what people say about it. If it has a good story that's fine my mean no matter the animation quality.
May 16, 2016 8:31 PM

Nov 2012
Reviews really don't mean shit. Steins;Gate wasn't exactly getting shit on when airing, but it wasn't getting much attention, and those that did pay attention to it said it to be "above average" or "mediocre" and I was always wondering why. Now look how popular it is.

Same thing seems to be happening with Garo to a much lesser extent and Samurai Flamenco after people forgot how mad they were at episode 6.

In short, people don't know what the fuck they want until they see the consensus later.
May 16, 2016 8:32 PM

Sep 2015
I don't even read reviews. I know, I'm so cool.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

May 16, 2016 8:46 PM

May 2009
I'll at least give the anime a chance despite it having negative reviews or lower scores since it doesn't mean there's no possibility I won't be able to enjoy the anime.

Many reviews these days aren't even helpful since they're embroiled with poorly structured arguments, buzz terminology, excessive nitpicking and most negative reviews, even many positive ones assert an overly generalized claim which has been said so many times that the statement itself holds no water. I remember that Erased 'revolution' a few months ago where that herd mentality of bringing the score down was rather prevalent among those who didn't like the anime. That was pathetic and ridiculous. Reviews made by Archaeon, ZephSilver's and Fleure actually make a point in what they're conveying and know exactly what they're talking about.

ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα.

συκεροκυ™

May 16, 2016 8:48 PM

Oct 2013
i aint the typa niqqa to be influenced by reviews, ratings, sales, or anything in-between if it comes up to my feed and it picques my interest ill watch it, simple.
Big part of why I hate those shit "should i watch this?" what do u lose in 25 minutes?
May 16, 2016 8:54 PM

Jan 2016
I do watch shows with relatively bad reviews. Only show that really made me say that "they were right" is School Days so...
May 16, 2016 8:55 PM

Oct 2009
I look at both the score and the reviews, and if both are bad then I wouldn't bother with it, unless I'm really curios about the story.

I mean a lot of people didn't like it, so there's a big chance that I won't lol

May 16, 2016 8:59 PM

Feb 2015
well I read both the good and bad reviews... see what the points are, then look at the stats, see what the majority think.... then depending on that i decide wether to watch or not
May 16, 2016 9:05 PM

Jan 2016
I would still go through and see an anime even if the reviews are bad, some people are biased in the case of some liking the anime more than the others would have not liked it at all.
May 16, 2016 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
The top reviews listed for an anime on mal definitely sways my decision on watching a series/film or not. If an anime has an overall score lower than 8, I first look at the art and premise to see if it is interesting then I would check to see if the reviews on the mal page are all high scores, like if all the reviews are 10s or 9s and I'm on the fence then I'll watch it, but if it has a bunch of 6-8 or lower scored reviews then I might just skip it.
May 16, 2016 9:21 PM

Jan 2013
Of course, because I like to form my own opinion.
That goes for scores as well.
CabronMay 16, 2016 9:24 PM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 16, 2016 9:23 PM

Apr 2010
What are these reviews you speak of?
May 16, 2016 9:51 PM

Jan 2016
If I want to find an anime that I want to watch, I don't read the reviews before I finish the series. It would affect my judgement and that will ruin the chance of me enjoying a good show. This is my point of view as a guy who watches anime for entertainment.

Even though some series have poor reviews (I read the reviews after watching the show), I still enjoyed the series. I respect people who gives good insights and constructive criticism, but some people are just scumbags and they just love to rant (eg. emphasizing that a show is too overrated and how they hate the characters instead of focusing on how the show is poorly made). Those type of rants can produce negative images of the series and it can mislead some people.
At least justify your opinions instead of just saying "it's my opinion". It would've been more polite.

May 16, 2016 10:18 PM

May 2016
Sure do because many a times have I watched a popular anime and thought it was rather meh so I figure it works the other way around too (unpopular animes being really entertaining)

Now, Titania, shall we bet? If those two would get along.
Rather than that, it would be better to bet on how many are made.
魔法使いの嫁 set designed by SenpieX

May 16, 2016 10:41 PM
Oct 2014
Depends on the review. Some things that people complain about are the very things that I like in a show. If someone writes ten paragraphs griping about how there's no plot and the show doesn't go anywhere, or about how the show is stupid because in the end the MC never chooses between all the girls who are interested in him, that's ten paragraphs the reviewer inadvertently spent trying to convince me to watch the show.

On the other hand, if the reviewer complains about all the yaoi scenes, that will make me stay away faster than just about anything.
May 16, 2016 10:47 PM

Oct 2014
I'd rather watch a low rated moe anime with poor reviews than a high rated gory anime.

One of my favourite anime has very poor reviews. I watched Glasslip because it had poor reviews.
May 16, 2016 10:51 PM

Sep 2015
Some reviews are rubbish. I don't really trust reviews
May 16, 2016 10:58 PM

May 2015
Sometimes the bad reviews make me curious. Future Diary had a lot of negative reviews but they kept saying how messy and bizarre it is. Sounds like a winner to me.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 17, 2016 12:59 AM

Feb 2016
I still watch them to know what's with it.
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What is the coolest anime pet?

SgtBateMan - 2 hours ago

13 by Ratris_Decision »»
2 seconds ago

» Are Anime "Controversy" just ragebait?

Dragevard - 24 minutes ago

6 by KittenCuddler »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you "really" watch a show if you didn't see it in Blu-Ray?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

22 by ColourWheel »»
26 minutes ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - May 30

48 by Anjuro »»
34 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1027 by animeryl »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.