Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 23, 2009 6:57 AM

Apr 2009
Do you guys think that this is an overrated anime..whyy?
ezayaDec 2, 2009 7:29 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 23, 2009 7:00 AM

Jun 2008
It is a good show.

but the people who "worship" it are what make it seem overrated.
Aug 23, 2009 7:03 AM

Aug 2008
Eva sucks, actually.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 23, 2009 7:08 AM

Feb 2009
I don't think that evangelion is overrated,but it has some bad aspects...Some parts are boring and sometimes I can't see the boundary between supernatural and science,but I stil think nge is a masterpiece due to the characters,the plot and the atmosphere...
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Aug 23, 2009 7:12 AM

Nov 2008
I wouldn't call it over rated. I just don't like it. It's too depressing and unless you look past its exterior, a little generic.

Aug 23, 2009 7:22 AM
Jun 2008
People like it for the wrong reasons: naked Rei, tsundere Asuka, shotacon Misato.
Sep 2007
If NGE is one of your first animes, then it's most likely it'll be something godly.

End of Evangelion >>>>>>>>> everything, btw.

Komm, suesser Tod by Arianne >>>>>>>>>> music itself.

Aug 2008
Ending was so confusing and I nearly fell asleep.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Aug 23, 2009 7:25 AM

Jun 2008
As i said before Evangelion is not about the big mecha fights or even it's philosophical questions and symbolisms. Those are just there to help. It's really about the psychological aspect. Is about making you feel strange feelings, to depress you, confuse you and generally make you a little crazy.

Now if you just couldn't really get in to it's world and you were watching with a more carefree attitude, just sitting there and thinking "O my God that Sinji is such a pussy" "That Asuka bitch never shut ups" "O look Rei naked" and staff like that, and you think that those fights with Angels and staff is what it is about, then Evangelion will seem like the biggest piece of crab you ever saw.

It's a love or hate anime. If you feel it, you will say it's a masterpiece. If you don't, you will probably say it's shit.
But in general there is a reason many people love it. The overrated line could go for every anime that has fans anyway. You can't expect something to be loved by everyone.
MonadAug 23, 2009 7:31 AM
Aug 23, 2009 7:41 AM

Aug 2009
If it had a proper end, I would consider it as one of the best animes. But I have to admit, the strange ending will make you to think about; so IMHO it is good in making you think about some topics intensively, but fails as a satisfying anime.
Aug 23, 2009 7:42 AM

May 2009
How much more times will this question be asked ? sigh.
Aug 23, 2009 8:06 AM

Apr 2009
The end was weird but it's still one of the best psychological-mindfuck anime. Dont forget that it's from 1995.. while the art/animation sometimes exceeds anime nowadays.
I also found it quite daring to actually think about a powersource for those humongous mecha. "Real-life-mecha-problems" such as terrain, fuel and the controls actually made sense. :)

Not amazing, definitely overrated, but groundbreaking.
Aug 23, 2009 8:13 AM

Oct 2008
I think it is overated, but if it wasn't for eva some anime's wouldn't be what they are today.
Still enjoyed it though.
Aug 23, 2009 8:15 AM

Jun 2009
Jaapsneep said:
Not amazing, definitely overrated, but groundbreaking.

I think that's a nice way to sum it up pretty much.

Aug 23, 2009 8:20 AM

Nov 2008
Not for me.
And it's ranked #130, for a series well-known like Evangelion it's clearly a bad rank.
Aug 23, 2009 9:00 AM
Sep 2007
NGE is only mind-fuck anime.

Not just confusing, but it makes yours heads hurt.
At least, last two episodes, and EoE.
Aug 23, 2009 9:04 AM

Feb 2009
Mjaut said:
mind-fuck anime.

This. It's one of the reasons I why I liked it though.
Aug 23, 2009 9:14 AM

Feb 2005
Monad said:
As i said before Evangelion is not about the big mecha fights or even it's philosophical questions and symbolisms. Those are just there to help. It's really about the psychological aspect. Is about making you feel strange feelings, to depress you, confuse you and generally make you a little crazy.

Now if you just couldn't really get in to it's world and you were watching with a more carefree attitude, just sitting there and thinking "O my God that Sinji is such a pussy" "That Asuka bitch never shut ups" "O look Rei naked" and staff like that, and you think that those fights with Angels and staff is what it is about, then Evangelion will seem like the biggest piece of crab you ever saw.

It's a love or hate anime. If you feel it, you will say it's a masterpiece. If you don't, you will probably say it's shit.
But in general there is a reason many people love it. The overrated line could go for every anime that has fans anyway. You can't expect something to be loved by everyone.
Pretty much this.
Aug 23, 2009 9:33 AM

Jan 2009
Monad said:

+1
Aug 23, 2009 10:19 AM

May 2009
It only sucks if you're to stupid to understand it.

I love Eva. Favorite anime ever.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2009 10:22 AM

Jul 2007
Eva's a great series, but its significance has been lost in the wake of its success in which many have forgotten why it was so significant... and no it had nothing to do with the Judeo-Christian symbolism.

It's still a show I'd recommend to anyone.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Aug 23, 2009 10:23 AM
Sep 2007
RahXephon >>>>>>>>>> NGE
Aug 23, 2009 10:42 AM

May 2009
Mjaut said:
RahXephon >>>>>>>>>> NGE
I agree.

Evangelion was good, but that's about it.
Aug 23, 2009 10:58 AM

May 2009
HooHiraiBunny said:
Not for me.
And it's ranked #130, for a series well-known like Evangelion it's clearly a bad rank.

When You see the 0.6 score difference between the #1 and Eva, it doesn't mean a lot, regarding the gigantic bunch of Eva-haters who probably rated it with a 1.
Aug 23, 2009 11:59 AM

Nov 2008
Tabrisrp said:
When You see the 0.6 score difference between the #1 and Eva, it doesn't mean a lot, regarding the gigantic bunch of Eva-haters who probably rated it with a 1.
It's just like the difference between 868 and 808 there's 60 points of difference and it's somewhat great since it's almost 10% difference.
Aug 23, 2009 12:04 PM

Jun 2009
I'm actually watching this show now. I think it deserves it's "classic" status it's just some fans act like idiots.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 23, 2009 12:06 PM

Nov 2008
Overrated - yes
but quite rightly

It IS a good anime, and people who don't like it are actually Haruhi or Lucky STar obsessed.
Aug 23, 2009 1:19 PM

Jun 2008
stAtic91 said:
Mjaut said:
RahXephon >>>>>>>>>> NGE
I agree.

Evangelion was good, but that's about it.

No way.
Aug 23, 2009 6:38 PM
Sep 2007
I was just kidding, though I must say, RahXephon is great.

In the end, it all depends how many animes you watched before NGE...

If you watched at least 100 titles, including some masterpieces like Gunbuster, Diebuster, LOGH, Macross, Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Kino's Journey, Baccano! and what I know, of course you'll never have so high opinion about NGE like you'd have if this is one of your first animes.

Nonetheless, Neon Genesis Evangelion always deserves 10/10.
Aug 24, 2009 2:53 AM

Aug 2009
Mjaut said:
If you watched at least 100 titles, including some masterpieces like Gunbuster, Diebuster, LOGH, Macross, Macross: Do You Remember Love?, Kino's Journey, Baccano! and what I know, of course you'll never have so high opinion about NGE like you'd have if this is one of your first animes.

NGE was one of my first animes and I hated it because of the end, although besides it, the series was very thrilling. It's definitely very interesting.
Aug 24, 2009 2:57 AM

Apr 2009
Puni said:
It only sucks if you're to stupid to understand it.

I love Eva. Favorite anime ever.

Typical elitist "you don't understand my anime thats why you don't like it bawww!" bs Eva fan. Honestly, it is good, but it is highly overrated.

At this point it would have to be the best series ever to not be overrated.
Aug 24, 2009 3:02 AM

Oct 2007
NGE does leave quite an inpact on the viewer, like it or not.
It may be overrated, but rightly so.
Aug 24, 2009 3:17 AM

Aug 2009
Gawers said:
NGE does leave quite an inpact on the viewer, like it or not.

True. That's also the reason for its overrating.
Aug 24, 2009 3:18 AM

Feb 2009
mrmuk said:
NGE was one of my first animes and I hated it because of the end, although besides it, the series was very thrilling. It's definitely very interesting.

Didn't you see The End Of Evangelion?
Aug 24, 2009 3:28 AM

Aug 2009
Supermilkshake said:
mrmuk said:

Didn't you see The End Of Evangelion?

I did. It was quite confusing and strange. I didn't like it. Maybe I didn't understand it. I'm open to explanations.
Aug 24, 2009 3:33 AM

Feb 2009
Well, I ain't gonna explain it, just google it (no joke). Trust me, you're not the first one who didn't understand it.
Aug 25, 2009 2:37 PM

Jul 2009
Evangelion can only be truly praised once you have most of the plot cleared up. Most of this happens outside of the actual anime and in fan forums.

Evangelion is my favorite anime. So far I've not seen anything that has surpassed it in direction - In every aspect I love it. The story isn't at all simple, its incredibly unique and I absolutely loved it. It is definitely up there with Clannad for me, both were incredible in story-telling.

The designs of the mechs was and still is something amazing. Almost every mecha nowadays follows the same gundam-esque design - And its boring. I don't want to see megablox fighting each other! Evangelion gave me something more. The concept for the Evangelions is superb. Love them or hate them - You can't deny that they are incredibly well thought out, not incredibly practical, but again incredibly unique.

Of course, people who say Evangelion is overrated just didn't enjoy the direction. The psychological side of the anime really jumps out and its almost as if the story changes 2/3 of the way through. This isn't a bad thing. My god I've seen people say that Evangelion is terrible because of this, and they don't even have a clue what was going on. You need to be so aware while watching the series to know what is happening during 3I.

People who just didn't understand it generally - Thats fine. It'll definitely seem overrated to these people. But the people who know the story will disagree with them.
People who worship the series are just as bad.

I've personally not seen better but I haven't watched as much as a lot of people, and I'm quite loose with my ratings, so I handed it a 10 because I do love the series.

Also, Mjaut seems to be spot on. I reckon if you were to watch NGE before watching some of the other high-rated anime (Could also be called overrated), then you'd prefer it. Fairly sure thats what happened to me - I reckon after watching Bacanno! I'll think its overrated. Its quite common.
Aug 25, 2009 9:21 PM

Apr 2009
we feel the same way about this...

i think code geass is the next eva series..

heheh...
Aug 25, 2009 9:26 PM
Aug 2009
burntlettuce said:
Monad said:

+1

+2
Aug 27, 2009 4:14 PM

Mar 2008
I love the everloving crap out of Eva, but yeah, it's overrated (and its fanbase can be...worshipful). There's no way it couldn't be.
Aug 27, 2009 4:30 PM

Jun 2009
Just finished this. It was really good but, yeah, I could see how people could consider it overrated. But, I don't.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 10, 2009 2:35 AM

Apr 2009
I hope they don't mess up at the remake...
Sep 10, 2009 2:37 AM

Jun 2009
It was GREAT anime,,,not overrated at all...
Sep 10, 2009 2:39 AM

Apr 2009
IZUMI64 said:
It was GREAT anime,,,not overrated at all...

Yeah,,one of the greatest anime for me..^^
Sep 10, 2009 10:15 AM

Jul 2009
ezaya said:

They won't. I can safely say 2.0 was fantastic.

they are changing the story a fair bit, but it is still good/original, and hasn't lost the Evangelion feel.
Sep 10, 2009 10:12 PM

Apr 2009
Psychodrake said:
ezaya said:

they are changing the story a fair bit, but it is still good/original, and hasn't lost the Evangelion feel.

really?!

well,I'm happy at the ending of the series,,and I hope that I will get the same impression on the movie..
Sep 11, 2009 4:36 AM

Jul 2009
ezaya said:
Psychodrake said:
ezaya said:

really?!

well,I'm happy at the ending of the series,,and I hope that I will get the same impression on the movie..

Well, they always have 3.0 and 4.0 to mess up. Lets see how Gainax handle this ;)
Sep 11, 2009 5:15 AM

Jun 2008
Evangelion is not overrated thoughI wasn't very fond of the dement/super-psychologic last episodes in the series. It might've just been me who couldn't comprehend it (even though I watched the last part of the series 3 times), but I really enjoyed everything in it up till that part.
... Even if I took time to write alot of intelligent words of deep thought and meaning in my signature, would you really care to read and comment on it? ...
Sep 11, 2009 6:10 AM

Jun 2009
Psychodrake said:
ezaya said:
Psychodrake said:
ezaya said:

really?!

Well, they always have 3.0 and 4.0 to mess up. Lets see how Gainax handle this ;)

As long as you take it as an alternate version of Eva and don't compare them it'll be alright. But, I can't practice what I preach in this case.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 13, 2009 5:49 AM

Apr 2009
looks like the remake will not affect the series,,,^^
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

58 by decora_angel »»
Jun 20, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

190 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

216 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - Feb 6, 2008

198 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

270 by acespanol »»
Jun 14, 12:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.