Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 14, 2009 12:35 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Unfortunately, we get a drop in animation quality in this episode....

Other than that, Mari is slightly losing it since her district seem to be in a very dire situation....She has a fever on top of that.....

Bad idea to enter damaged buildings but it seems Mari's workplace is in rather good shape....But still BAD idea.

Funny encounter with Mari's coworker Ai....

We get to see some background information on Mari's past....Mari finally chose not to separate from the two children....

Overall slightly weaker episode compared to the previous ones....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 15, 2009 8:53 AM

Sep 2008
Definitely weaker than most, if not all, episodes so far, but I don't think the show needs an overly-dramatic scene in each episode.

As long as it sticks to some reasonable occurrence, I'll be happy with the episode and I think they portrayed Mari's despair well. It was also nice seeing a little of her past and her daughter.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2009 10:51 AM

Jul 2008
hmm not as interesting as the others imo
that new char.... i wonder if she's going to join the 3 of them?
Aug 15, 2009 10:53 AM

Feb 2009
I agree too that this episode is probably the weakest one. It felt like character development for the sake of character development.
Aug 15, 2009 11:41 AM

Jun 2009
Ai really sounded like Kafuka from Zetsubou-Sensei. Anyone else think that?
Aug 15, 2009 12:27 PM

Dec 2008
It was a so-so episode. I definitely understand Mari's concern and frustration at the lack of news about her family, but it felt a little...sudden? She was dealing with it well until this episode, where she suddenly seemed to snap. Then, after, she's back to her cheery, supportive self again. I did like the little flashback, though, to give us a bit more background on Mari.

Moreover, did anyone notice how Mari seems to have super-healing powers or something? xD She went from sick/feverish(?) to getting an head injury (with bleeding), and then as she's searching for Mirai and Yuuki, she's suddenly all better? (no blood, not feverish anymore, etc.)
Aug 15, 2009 12:53 PM

Apr 2009
Juriasu said:

Ah I thought that as well! Perhaps same seiyuu? (Too lazy to check)

Aeterna said:

Moreover, did anyone notice how Mari seems to have super-healing powers or something? xD She went from sick/feverish(?) to getting an head injury (with bleeding), and then as she's searching for Mirai and Yuuki, she's suddenly all better? (no blood, not feverish anymore, etc.)

I think Mari's fever healed after she was treated by Ai, and before she went out to look for the two children the blood was wiped off?
Aug 15, 2009 1:18 PM

Jan 2009
wakka9ca said:
Unfortunately, we get a drop in animation quality in this episode....

That was very visible, I wonder why O.o Oh well, hope it dosen't drag on like in Naruto atm, bad quality is bad.

Also, this was a rather boring episode actually, but it's still okay I guess. Maybe not really "boring", rather.. "dull" might be a better way to explain it.
Although it was pretty entertaining when that building fell : D
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 15, 2009 1:54 PM

Jul 2008
It was a more "calm" episode, but we finally got a bit background story on Mari, which was missing since the show focused on the kids in the first episode.

I wonder if the Mari's fever and the wound on her head are going to cause problems in the next episode, because that can cause quite a bit of a problem if you cannot treat it properly.
Aug 15, 2009 1:56 PM

Sep 2008
Juriasu said:
I thought that too, and yes, Ai Nonaka voices both of them, don't know, but her name is Aya...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2009 2:02 PM

May 2009
Unfortunately, the dip in quality was rather notable. It was nice to see the shift to Mari for a change. Aya was a nice addition and I hope it's not the last we'll see of her.
Aug 15, 2009 2:43 PM

Jun 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
Juriasu said:
I thought that too, and yes, Ai Nonaka voices both of them, don't know, but her name is Aya...
Oh yeah, her name was Aya. First post threw me off...
Aug 15, 2009 3:34 PM

May 2009
It was a nice episode. A little more slow paced with a few flashbacks and such. I didn't really notice any changes in animation, nothing that bothered me.
Aug 15, 2009 5:57 PM

May 2008
Where did all her confidence come from , i need that in my life lol

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 15, 2009 8:13 PM
Mar 2009
Something tells me Mari is going to die, not soon though.
Aug 15, 2009 8:14 PM

Dec 2008
I actually enjoyed the flashbacks they did...it gives more dept Mari's character.
Aug 15, 2009 8:22 PM

Sep 2008
i hope this ends up in tragedy XD that would be more realistic
i wonder why they give 2 lil kidz a bike?
Zero_r2Aug 15, 2009 8:25 PM
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Aug 15, 2009 10:13 PM

Jul 2008
Really weak episode. Nothing happened. Gone from favorites. Come back at a later time.
Aug 15, 2009 10:38 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Aeterna said:
It was a so-so episode. I definitely understand Mari's concern and frustration at the lack of news about her family, but it felt a little...sudden? She was dealing with it well until this episode, where she suddenly seemed to snap. Then, after, she's back to her cheery, supportive self again. I did like the little flashback, though, to give us a bit more background on Mari.
My opinion probably exactly. While I really like Mari's character and I'd like to know more about her, the episode felt really... random. Even she thought her last flashback was random, lol.
Aug 15, 2009 10:52 PM

Jul 2008
Kineta said:
Aeterna said:
My opinion probably exactly. While I really like Mari's character and I'd like to know more about her, the episode felt really... random. Even she thought her last flashback was random, lol.

The problem in my opinion was it changed so suddenly. All of a sudden they are at their home without much warning. Maube I missed something, not sure.
Aug 16, 2009 12:14 AM

Jul 2008
KanjiiZ said:

The problem in my opinion was it changed so suddenly. All of a sudden they are at their home without much warning. Maube I missed something, not sure.

I figured the flashback was just a "fever dream" for Mari - she fainted and dreamed about the house burning.

I was really impressed by Mirai going to the trouble of getting the bike with Yuki. She was concerned about Mari and hardly complaining at all; watching her change has been my favorite part of this series so far, so this episode actually made me kind of happy.
Aug 16, 2009 1:14 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
i guess that was an okay episode. too bad the animation quality went down a lot :|
p r o f i l e 👀
Aug 16, 2009 4:04 AM

Apr 2009
The quality wasn't bad at all?
I like this episode but it is not the best :3
Aug 16, 2009 5:42 AM

Apr 2008
somewhat okay episode o_o half way more

Aug 16, 2009 6:53 AM
May 2008
Obligatory ditsy female supporting character introduced and tidbits of Mari's past... alright we're finally getting somewhere... <.<

In all seriousness the animation severely dropped from the standards set from previous episodes and overall this episode didn't do much for the survival situation either. So not a bad episode just slow and rather pointless.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 16, 2009 10:47 AM

Oct 2008
Nice soothing episode, (even though it made me jump my seat when the light thingy almost slammed in to mari)
Im starting to like Mirai even more. :]

When i heard aya, I was like omglol Fuko! <3 (clannad) :p

Sent with Mal Updater
じーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーっ
Aug 16, 2009 5:17 PM

Oct 2008
I'm proud of Mari sticking with them, but it's already in her character.
:D
Animation went down a LOT, I thought it was just my player...but it wasn't. O.o; Just hope they improve, still liked the episode.
Can't wait to see what happens to them now.
Aug 16, 2009 7:53 PM

Oct 2008
I didn't care for the lack of continuity with the bleeding head in one scene then it's all gone in the next without explaining how. But the kids were good in this ep, thinking about Mari and Hina and getting a vespa for her too. They're making up for their whining in the previous episodes.

The kids gotta return to see Aya for some reason. or it's more likely that Aya meets them enroute on a bike since no one returned to the office, so she just left to check on Mari and them.
Aug 17, 2009 12:01 AM

Aug 2009
KanjiiZ said:
Really weak episode. Nothing happened. Gone from favorites. Come back at a later time.

Wow...From one average episode? Don't bother coming back...
Aug 17, 2009 1:52 AM

Jun 2009
I guess this series needs a lay back episode, lol the kids wrapped Mari haha

Minor detail: What happen to Mari's bleeding...
ZinvyAug 17, 2009 2:08 AM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 17, 2009 4:19 AM

Jan 2008
Actually I think that bike could have carried the 3 of them. I don't know why they dropped it.
Aug 17, 2009 5:00 AM

Jan 2009
I KNEW IT! Since the first scream of that girl called Aya, I knew she was being voiced by the same person who voiced Fuuko; I love her voice. Anyway, good paced episode -A little more slow paced with a few flashbacks and such- (Quite overdramatic, I couldn't feel anything); the factor suprise completely disappeared from Tokyo; Bones made it too obvious, Mirai is no longer the same brat as she was -She was concerned about Mari and hardly complaining at all-, it was probably on episode 5 when she noticed the death of several people she knew, nothing bad, but honestly; disappointing.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 17, 2009 12:11 PM

Aug 2008
Weakest episode not because of what it was trying to do, but in writing. Random really is the best way to describe the episode. Most of what happened would have been totally fine if there were some precedent for it. We could have been hearing about Mari's home in the last two episodes to plant those seeds, but we just didn't. And lol at, "It's just a little anemia." I love how anime tend to blow some diseases/illnesses way out of proportion, and then really underplay others.
Aug 17, 2009 5:00 PM

Sep 2007
Meh. Like others have said, it was kind of sudden and out of the blue. This show's getting weaker by the episode :/
Aug 17, 2009 6:05 PM

May 2009
Animation was blatantly lacking but looks like Fuko makes her appearance. That nightmare was freakishly overdone and who came up with the idea to hang out inside an apartment that could collapse any minute.
-=Dear gravity don't let me go, hold me like the winter holds the cold=-
Aug 18, 2009 2:44 AM

Feb 2009
Glad mari appears to be fine, one of the more likable characters in this show. Still, this epd was a letdown in comparison to the others. I just hope it's not going to be one of those many animes that starts off incredibly decent then suck towards the end.
Aug 18, 2009 5:55 AM

Jan 2008
ntHai said:
Actually I think that bike could have carried the 3 of them. I don't know why they dropped it.
Yeah what I thought. Oh well, good episode, even if it was a weaker one.
Aug 18, 2009 8:28 AM

Jan 2009
Quality drop, too bad that's happen.

Overall this is a good episode, where a little bit or Mari's past were explained. They already reach Mari's office and Mirai's school so it seems that they were not too far from their home.
Aug 18, 2009 10:10 AM

Aug 2009
Episode was ok and the bleeding of Mari looked bad! Also her nightmares!
Of course also AYA! BTW how old is she if she has her own place?
Belum_NabumAug 18, 2009 1:52 PM

Aug 18, 2009 5:39 PM

Aug 2009
Yeah, I'll agree about the small lack of quality of this episode compared to the other ones (which were all really great in their own way), but prehaps it wasn't so sudden Mari started freaking out about her child. If you think about it, she's been hiding her worry since the three met, and that in itself would be hard. It's clear that Mari is mentally strong, but eventually, there had to be a breaking point.

It seems people are thinking it's out of the blue that Mari is suddenly worried, but they kinda left out the part when she began freaking out. Nothing really has been heard about the area her daughter is at, other than it was close to the epicenter, thus (I would assume), Mari has hope to believe her daughter is, for a lack of a better term, "safe", or at least alive. Suddenly, she hears of a fire in the area, and that's when she must have realized it's not as "safe" as she thought it was. There's the breaking point for her, so it's not at all like she suddenly had this strong concern for her daughters safety, it truth, she ALWAYS had that strong concern; it was just that one instance that made her realize the actual scale of how much danger her daughter is in.
Aug 18, 2009 10:03 PM

Aug 2009
This was a slight letdown after a series of strong episodes, but I appreciate learning more about Mari's motivations. She has been a pillar of strength for so long, so it was 'nice' to see her crack down a little bit. She's still human, folks!

I wonder what Mari will do once she's reunited with her mother and daughter (assuming that the trio arrives at her home first). Does she have the heart to leave them behind again just to deliver these two children home? And what if her family is seriously injured (or worse, dead)? That could be an interesting predicament in the near future.

Writing is my hobby. My current project is called The Mole: Anime Edition 2.0.
Aug 19, 2009 3:01 AM

Mar 2009
Aaaargh i have no idea why I'm still watching this nonsense.
Aug 19, 2009 3:53 AM

Aug 2009
Hmm, I didn't think it was that bad. Good development for Mari and I like how Mirai's personality is steadily improving for the better.
Aug 19, 2009 6:42 AM

Jul 2008
Hmm, . . . the episode was kinda dull. Mari is worreid about her family and rightfully so, but I couldn't really connect with what the episode was delivering.
Aug 19, 2009 10:48 PM

Mar 2009
yakyuu-addict said:
Hmm, . . . the episode was kinda dull. Mari is worreid about her family and rightfully so, but I couldn't really connect with what the episode was delivering.

It was delivering Mari's feelings and fears. Something they should've done episodes ago. But no, let's show Mari the Terminator.
Aug 21, 2009 1:20 PM

Jun 2009
I feel sorry for all the work they've done for this show, but it is simply not interesting enough for me to follow it. First show I dropped this season, guess canaan or that sora manimani club is following soon, dont know which one will be first lol...
Aug 23, 2009 5:30 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, this was a big letdown, especially since episode 5 was really good. Enjoyed it anyway, though.
Aug 24, 2009 3:20 PM

Jul 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
Definitely weaker than most, if not all, episodes so far

My opinion as well.

Aeterna said:

That's what disappointed me a bit in this episode actually. I guess she might have recovered from her fever after resting/Aya's cares but what about her injury? She was even bleeding and when she got out of that building the blood suddenly disappeared. =|

Kineta said:
While I really like Mari's character and I'd like to know more about her, the episode felt really... random. Even she thought her last flashback was random, lol.

I don't think the episode was random, but definitely had that feeling about some of her flashbacks. The last one especially, yes.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Aug 28, 2009 7:44 PM
Jun 2008
Yeah, the animation quality dropped >.<

And the episode was not that good also =(
Aug 29, 2009 7:35 AM

Dec 2008
The opening with very well done I think, but the animation and characters could be better animated.

I actually like this episode more than some others ... they revealed more stuff about maria and i'm now more curious wat happened to her husband. Almost every episode have scenes of aftershock and building collapsing which i though were over exaggerated.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

wakka9ca - Jul 23, 2009

179 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

wakka9ca - Jul 16, 2009

193 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Wasabi - Jul 9, 2009

253 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 1:35 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.