3It was OK
4.0%
2Disliked it
0.9%
1Hated it
1.5%
Average 4.6
327 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 14, 2008 11:35 AM

May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, a nice episode to wrap up the Thriller Bark.

Few pieces of critical information we get too:
1.) Ace's condition
2.) Mention of Pirate Empress Hancock
3.) One that I totally forgot - the large shadows in the mist of the Florian Triangle. I really wonder what those are all about.
4.) Most importantly, mermaids don't wear panties. =P

Hopefully the fillers will be good.
VK11Dec 14, 2008 1:08 PM
Dec 14, 2008 12:16 PM

Nov 2008
Thanks gawd that Brook's back story is finally done.

Next episode's preview:

Plus - the girls are in swimsuits

Minus - Foxy is back

My suggestions for the fillers - move the series to a late night slot for a month or so and just give us fan service ... LOL
Dec 14, 2008 12:16 PM

Jun 2008
great episode and the animation was nice too :)
but what were the things in the mist??
Dec 14, 2008 12:31 PM

Aug 2008
An epic ending to an epic arc....:)

AceKm said:
great episode and the animation was nice too :)
but what were the things in the mist??

@AceKm
no, actualluy it did appear in the manga
Dec 14, 2008 3:47 PM

Nov 2007
Good wrap-up. Can't say I'm a fan of Foxy, but I'll grin and bear it after such a long story arc.

Also
Dec 14, 2008 5:31 PM

Feb 2008
wow that was one emotional ride. good to see luffy is still as sure as ever.
Dec 14, 2008 5:47 PM

Feb 2008
Great ep, sword burial was cool and just seeing Zoro up and about again made me teary-eyed :P Chopper with the bandages was hilarious xD Very nice to finaly get to understand what that piece of paper Ace gave him was all about ^^
Great arc to bad we saw an end of it xD Fillers are crapp they make me wanna cry, in a bad way.
Dec 14, 2008 5:52 PM

May 2007
Amazing episode but...

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU FOXY FILLERS ARE BACK >o<

"School is just a distraction from anime" - JOIN THE "I hate school" CLUB!
Dec 14, 2008 8:40 PM

Jul 2008
FuzzyDemon said:
Amazing episode but...

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU FOXY FILLERS ARE BACK >o<

yeah T_T

Dec 14, 2008 10:38 PM
Oct 2007
Awww, come on. Fillers are fun too. I don't like Foxy but can't say the games are bad, lol.
Dec 14, 2008 11:53 PM

Mar 2008
The return of the afro... HAHAHA *crosses fingers*

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Dec 15, 2008 1:16 AM
Mar 2008
I forgot a lol at the previous ep. which I'll write here:

- when brook notices himself in the mirror, loooool. "WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!" hahahahahaha

Whenever Brook starts talking about the panties, he reminds me of someone.....Ah, I remember now. The turtle hermit in the original Dragonball. damn that was lol. Son Goku notices a difference and takes off Bulmas panties and later on, Bulma hasn't noticed she's not wearing panties??? showing the turtle hermit EVERYTHING, Yoohohohohohohoho~
Dec 15, 2008 1:19 AM
Mar 2008
oh yeah, and I can't remember seeing anything about the foxy pirates in the manga. Now that would be the correct definition of next episode being a filler, in contrast to some people trying to make ppl believe brook's past were fillers.
Dec 15, 2008 2:59 AM

Oct 2007
what foxy fillers?
its a mermaid arc comming up next >_>
and there is no foxy pirate in it!!!
wait, shit, i will have to stop watching one piece for few more weeks T_T

brook's past was in the manga, but it dosnt mean its not a shitty filler
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2008 3:34 AM

Dec 2008
i liked the episode.
but i realy thought that Luffy will go to save Ace...

p.s. i dint reraly want the Foxy to return...
Dec 15, 2008 4:20 AM

Sep 2008
Foxy Fillers are fun.. so why not?

And the episode after foxy is something with Spy Island, another filler, or maybe the start of the Christmas special..

Anyway, nice ep. :P Don't got much to say tho', since everythings been said already

Packie said:

@AceKm
no, actualluy it did appear in the manga

Reminds me of an anchor. o.O
Dec 15, 2008 7:27 AM

Sep 2008
Oh ^^ I'm happy that I finally understand what that piece of paper is!
It was nice ep...good ending of Thriller Bark ^^'' (I hate this arc --_--)
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Dec 15, 2008 7:41 AM

Apr 2008
animefan82 said:
I forgot a lol at the previous ep. which I'll write here:

- when brook notices himself in the mirror, loooool. "WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!" hahahahahaha

Whenever Brook starts talking about the panties, he reminds me of someone.....Ah, I remember now. The turtle hermit in the original Dragonball. damn that was lol. Son Goku notices a difference and takes off Bulmas panties and later on, Bulma hasn't noticed she's not wearing panties??? showing the turtle hermit EVERYTHING, Yoohohohohohohoho~

its Master Roshi!!!! XD
that perverted old man!! Yohohohohoho

anyway, Great episode, can't wait for the next manga arc
the fillers look good, I hope they don't disappoint

& Ace, nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! but i'm sure he'll be alright :D

Note: Franky is too super for lola XD
ZatoichiDec 15, 2008 8:16 AM
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Dec 15, 2008 11:42 AM

Mar 2008
Peralisc said:

Man you have no idea what you are talking about. Filler in an anime is episodes NOT in the manga. Brooks past was in the manga. It may have been boring to you but that does not make it filler. Learn to use the word right.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Dec 15, 2008 11:54 AM

Jan 2008
OmegaRed said:
Peralisc said:

Man you have no idea what you are talking about. Filler in an anime is episodes NOT in the manga. Brooks past was in the manga. It may have been boring to you but that does not make it filler. Learn to use the word right.

Actually, a correction on that. Fillers are anything that aren't in the manga, or the light novels. Sometimes the manga misses an arc or two that were in the light novels (ie To Aru Majutsu no Index and the vampire arc).

But yes, boo to the Foxy filler.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Dec 15, 2008 12:58 PM

Jan 2008
kevin_video said:

Actually, a correction on that. Fillers are anything that aren't in the manga, or the light novels. Sometimes the manga misses an arc or two that were in the light novels (ie To Aru Majutsu no Index and the vampire arc).

Actually, yet another correction on that. Even if it's in the manga, it can still technically be filler. Like, if Oda were to make an entire chapter about the crew eating dinner with absolutely nothing of importance happening, and said chapter never being mentioned again, it would still be a filler even if it's in the manga. "Filler" is technically just... Useless stuff added to stall for time. You can have fillers in the manga, and anime-original scenes that actually progress the story are technically not fillers, like for example, the Rolling Pirates being introduced a few episodes before Luffy meets them, which estabilished the fact that there ARE other humans on the island, thus making their appearance later seem less random.

But Brook's past is not filler no matter how you look at it, seeing how it helped make him a much more 3-dimensional character.

As for the episode itself... I liked it. They did a great job wrapping up the arc, and the pacing and animation was good.
Dec 15, 2008 3:44 PM

Nov 2007
OmegaRed said:
The return of the afro... HAHAHA *crosses fingers*

We can only hope...
Dec 15, 2008 4:34 PM

Feb 2008
Vegard_Aune said:

Actually, yet another correction on that. Even if it's in the manga, it can still technically be filler. Like, if Oda were to make an entire chapter about the crew eating dinner with absolutely nothing of importance happening, and said chapter never being mentioned again, it would still be a filler even if it's in the manga. "Filler" is technically just... Useless stuff added to stall for time. You can have fillers in the manga, and anime-original scenes that actually progress the story are technically not fillers, like for example, the Rolling Pirates being introduced a few episodes before Luffy meets them, which estabilished the fact that there ARE other humans on the island, thus making their appearance later seem less random.

But Brook's past is not filler no matter how you look at it, seeing how it helped make him a much more 3-dimensional character.

As for the episode itself... I liked it. They did a great job wrapping up the arc, and the pacing and animation was good.

Actually I slightly disagree with you here ^^
Lets put it like this, Eiichiro Oda is the creator of One Piece, his will and intentions to create the the story of "One Piece" as a whole is put into every single page of the original manga released. That IS by definition the true, real and complete story of One Piece.

What it is that is portrayed on any a given page of the series, no matter how trivial, that is a part of the story of One Piece. Do you regard "even though I'm already bones yohoho", "show me your panties" and and all other purely funny and entertaining moments as fillers?

Just because it doesn't advance the plot doesn't mean its filler ^^

I would regard everything that is added in the anime but is not in manga (or the visual novels but that really doesn't matter in this case) as fillers while everything drawn and portrayed by Oda as not-fillers (Original).

Thats just what I think though, its an obscure topic which people in the end will have to find their own definition of. ^^
In any case "filler" is not something you just call an episode just because you didn't find it entertaining.
ShufflebladeDec 15, 2008 4:47 PM
Dec 16, 2008 2:53 PM

Aug 2008
Very good! Brook is a Mugiwara now!
Dec 16, 2008 3:11 PM
Jun 2007
vindemon64 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, a nice episode to wrap up the Thriller Bark.

Few pieces of critical information we get too:
1.) Ace's condition
2.) Mention of Pirate Empress Hancock
3.) One that I totally forgot - the large shadows in the mist of the Florian Triangle. I really wonder what those are all about.
4.) Most importantly, mermaids don't wear panties. =P

Hopefully the fillers will be good.

how can a mermaid wear a pantie, if she has no legs at all :O

Dec 16, 2008 5:21 PM

Feb 2008
CJeeey said:

how can a mermaid wear a pantie, if she has no legs at all :O

Simple ^^ Think back on CP9 arc kokoro-baasa that saved them from drowning in the tunnel :P They can retain a human shape if they wish it seems like =)
Dec 17, 2008 5:57 AM

Sep 2008
So Kokoro-baasan wasn't wearing panties?
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Dec 17, 2008 1:29 PM

Sep 2008
Now I´ve watched 381 episodes of this show in 6 weeks. Why am I not getting tired of it? xD
Dec 17, 2008 2:03 PM

Oct 2007
Nikorin said:

Thanks. Now I will have nightmares for the rest of the week... ^_^

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Dec 17, 2008 4:40 PM

Jul 2008
I don't see problem in Foxy's return, the first time he appeared was really good.

Smasher said:
Nikorin said:

me too, my mind is contaminated with this scene.
Dec 19, 2008 6:16 PM

Feb 2008
I just wanted to post a comment about this here arc ^^ I figured since this was the last ep in the arc it would not be alltogheter unfit to post my thoughts here.

I just want to express my deep rooted feeling of gratitude towards the people animating and directing the One Piece of today. Unlike how many other series cuts important stuff out(that are in the manga) and adds meaningless garbage the ones doing OP have been doing one hell of a job.

I personally feel in a lot of series "what the fuck is this its totaly ilogical/boring/pointless" Look at Bleach, FMA, Naruto, Law of Ueki etc (comparing to other shounen for relevance). They got all the manga material in and add some good comic relief that just feels soo well made and entertaining.

When just having a manga to work from movement, special attacks and lots of other things can get really weird if the animators dont do their jobb well. In this arc I feel as though the OP animating team have grown alot, its very well made and it "flows" in a way that very few manga based animes do.
Just wanted to post something to let my feelings out :P Because I'm so looking forward to more One Piece!
(Another thing to mention that really makes my appreciation for OP go up alot is the very nice and accurate subbs done på Vegard Aune and Sock Pain they're doing an amazing job thanks alot!)
ShufflebladeDec 19, 2008 6:22 PM
Dec 20, 2008 3:46 AM

Sep 2008
Ito said:

Smasher said:
Nikorin said:

me too, my mind is contaminated with this scene.

XD XD LOL sorry XD but it's strange..XD
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Dec 24, 2008 6:42 PM
Jun 2008
I guess this means that I'll just wait until the next few episodes are released. I'm not much of a weekly follower of fillers.

Anyway, this episode was solid. The thriller bark arc has finally reached its end. Now Luffy's crew seems cooler than ever before. I can't wait to see more non-filler adventures now.
Jan 15, 2009 9:38 AM

Aug 2008
Nice way to finally end the Thriller Bark. I really want to know what those things in the mist were!!!
Jan 15, 2009 9:40 AM

Aug 2008
Also, fillers will only last about 3 episodes since next episode title in about the Red Line.
Jan 22, 2009 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Nice episode. Brook is one funny skeleton. I'm glad we heard about Ace(though I already knew what was happening since I accidentally spoiled my self from reading wikipedia)
Jun 6, 2009 6:44 PM

Jan 2009
Great ending to a great arc.
Dec 5, 2009 8:07 AM

Aug 2008
no no foxt faggots again
Feb 18, 2010 2:59 AM

May 2008
the first foxy filler was great, afterwards foxy was just boring

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Mar 17, 2010 1:45 AM

Oct 2008
I hope Ace is okay. D:

And, I wonder what those showers were next to Thriller Bark
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 21, 2010 11:52 AM

Feb 2009
In this episode I especially loved the bits with Zoro.
May 21, 2010 3:39 PM

Mar 2010
oooh O_O
i grave for the Rumba Pirats *.*
and Brook plays a sad Song... so sad that i have cryed T^T´

... i have a bad Spoiler about Ace >_>,
Damn Internet >,<
i don't say anything :D
May 27, 2010 12:28 PM

Apr 2010
Ace..... I would have really preferred it if Luffy went to see him, but I guess that can't happen.
Glad that Brook joined the crew, it was a good episode ^^
Apr 9, 2011 2:24 AM

Jul 2007
Well this is definitely going to be a memorable episode that i won't forget. Great way to end the "thriller bark" arc. The musician humming brooks Officially joins the straw hat crew. With that, there crew is complete. It is amazing how ODA thinks up of things like this from the start of the show and then finally reveals it 360 episodes later.

The whole story arc involving Laboon when the straw hats first entered the grand line. Crocus stated also that there was a pirate crew that was there. Now 300+ episodes later we finally discover the crew and everything ties from the Past to the present, such amazing writing oda. You truly are a god lol.

It was pretty depressing though to see the vivre card in flames. Luffy must be going through a great ordeal having to think about what is happening to his brother ace.

Also the first mention of hancock was pretty cool. Can't wait to see Fishman island.

There was some great comedy in this episode as well. The mention of mermaids not wearing panties lol man brooks is going to be an awesome crew member, i can tell.

Also , WTF were those 3 huge shadows overlooking the fogy mist. Those things were enormous. I wonder if there sea kings, but even sea kings i don't think are that large. Damn once again another mysterious cliff hanger, that probably won't be explained for some time.

All i have to say for the next episode is "NOT THE RETURN OF FOXY AGAIN" :(

Oh well, at least it will be a beach arc. There is sure to be some fanservice and some comedy bits with brooks and sanji im sure. I can see these guys fighting over each other in the future cause of there same perverted personality lol.
ArtimesGamerApr 9, 2011 2:31 AM

Apr 9, 2011 8:27 AM

Apr 2009
^no more foxy dont worry
Apr 9, 2011 10:18 AM

Jul 2007
Shuffleblade said:
Vegard_Aune said:

Actually I slightly disagree with you here ^^
Lets put it like this, Eiichiro Oda is the creator of One Piece, his will and intentions to create the the story of "One Piece" as a whole is put into every single page of the original manga released. That IS by definition the true, real and complete story of One Piece.

What it is that is portrayed on any a given page of the series, no matter how trivial, that is a part of the story of One Piece. Do you regard "even though I'm already bones yohoho", "show me your panties" and and all other purely funny and entertaining moments as fillers?

Just because it doesn't advance the plot doesn't mean its filler ^^

I would regard everything that is added in the anime but is not in manga (or the visual novels but that really doesn't matter in this case) as fillers while everything drawn and portrayed by Oda as not-fillers (Original).

Thats just what I think though, its an obscure topic which people in the end will have to find their own definition of. ^^
In any case "filler" is not something you just call an episode just because you didn't find it entertaining.

Exactly, why can't you guys understand the meaning of "filler" its probably because your so stuck on filler being horrible ALL the time. You never want to put any efort into watching "anime only" arcs if its not related to the manga. Which is think is really stupid. You should at least give it a shot. I have found some filler arcs in anime to especially good, one piece on the hand has some pretty great filler arcs. So im looking forward to the next "spa island" arc.

But in any case, its what this guys says. Filler is any material that is not from the original source or written by ODA. Anything that is unrelated to the manga it self is considered filler. There is no such thing as filler in a manga if its considered the original source material. Even if its a casual break in the story, ODA has written it for a reason. Its still part of the original source. You can't consider that filler. Now if you have a Novel, that is the original source and there was a manga that was adapted from that and an anime. Then the manga could be considered filler if its not written by the original author that wrote the Novel. And i can't believe i heard that brooks past was filler, i mean how dumb can you get lol. Before people start making ridiculous comments, learn the word and what it means.
ArtimesGamerApr 9, 2011 10:25 AM

May 7, 2011 8:19 AM

Apr 2011
Holy Jesus this arc is finally over.

Ever since the CP9 arc started, the pacing of this show became extremely horrible. Now I understand why One Piece has very few filler unlike Naruto and Bleach.

Brook, in my opinion, has the saddest past I've ever seen so far in One Piece. And no Nico Robin's past is nothing compared to his, when I watched her past I said to myself "lol..Saul's laugh is funny" but with Brook "holy shit... this guy had to endure all this?". And that scene where they were celebrating and were dying one after another... wow
May 10, 2011 3:27 PM

Jun 2009
Slow pace or not this arc was win imo, the only thing that really hurt it was the middles section.

As far as the Robin and Brook comparison, I think they both had it very bad. Think about it, Robin was betrayed by everyone she trusted before meeting the One Piece crew to the point that she was in fear of being abandoned by them as well. Of course, Brook did have to live 50 or so years on an abandoned ship with the skeletons of his dead crew mates, as well as having to avoid the sun light.

But, regardless, both back stories are pretty god damn tragic.

About, the upcoming filler. I don't give a shit, nothing does filler as well as OP imo and so I'm looking forward to it. Though I do hate Foxy.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 21, 2011 7:47 PM

May 2010
Kanpai! LOL

45 degrees! LOL

Kanpai once more! LOL

Just like that?!! He Joined! wahaha LOL Luffy finally finds the most long awaited musician! Good introduction of Brook and another revelation was mentioned.. Vivre card! .. I wonder how Ace is and also who Lola's mother.. must be a strong pirate also.. A new story/arc or filler will unfold next.. hope it will still be good

:-P
Jul 31, 2011 5:21 AM

Aug 2010
Fillers look good.

Nami fanservice? I am all for it
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1109 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 22

50 by Ridzaxster »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1005 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FMmatron - Jan 8, 2022

84 by Scroyos »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 392 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Mar 8, 2009

94 by Sanjis_Bride »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 600 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Wind_Sr - Jun 15, 2013

85 by gannoncannon55 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 599 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Wind_Sr - Jun 8, 2013

74 by gannoncannon55 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.