3It was OK
7.1%
2Disliked it
1.0%
1Hated it
1.0%
Average 4.5
2,407 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 1, 7:27 AM
May 2021
Shit is about to go down next ep 🔥 No9 still on the loose. Soushirou showing how skilled he is training.
Aug 2022
So Glad it was iharu-kun who was there to witness it 😂😂🤣🤣 lol!
Heck yeah!!!! Our Kafka Got Promoted from Cadet to Full-fledged Officer 🔥 Mina, She again punished him for calling her by name 😭.
Vice-Captain's Moves were awesome 🔥 I'm impressed.

The Ending another new Enemy (Kaiju No. 10) & this time it's a full Battalion on air raid it seems , Now I'm Excited for the next week.
Ricky16Jun 1, 7:47 AM

Dec 2021
It's ironic that a quiet guy missed such a noticeable monster.

As Soushirou prepares to attack, Kafka quickly considers his options for countering the assault. He dismisses the idea of punching Soushirou, but before he can form a solid plan, Soushirou strikes, slicing Kafka's chest and inflicting an injury. Realizing he can't hold back, Kafka recalls that the defense force's suits are organic weapons crafted from defeated kaiju parts, meaning they unleash greater power with increased force. Initially skeptical of Kikoru's movements, Kafka now acknowledges their effectiveness against Soushirou's inhuman abilities. Dropping his guard momentarily, Kafka believes he evades one of Soushirou's attacks, only to be alarmed as a seemingly invisible slash severs his hand.

Lol, Soushirou realizes he's a mega OP monster, while Kafka was just trying not to kill him. Anyways, Kaiju no. 9 can transform into people he eats and keeps all their memories, kind of like Prototype. I wonder if the Defense Force ever learns about this, would some of Kafka's allies start doubting if he's human? Now, Soushirou is suspicious of Kafka. There are too many coincidences around him. He'll probably figure it out soon but keep it to himself. But yeah, Soushirou is totally suspicious of Kafka. However, Mina still remembers their promise, which renews Kafka's determination. Soushirou believes in Kafka, but he seems to regret the battle.

Now there's an air raid, huh...

Jun 1, 7:28 AM

May 2020
Of course, it would only make sense for Kafka to escape the scene, I mean the main guy with a hidden identity doesn’t get publicly known until after a loooong while. By the way, we can already see Hoshina thinking number 8 intentionally didn’t hurt him and his actions were odd… so yeah, we can see where this is leading us to. Though I’ve been questioning this for years, but why in the blue hell does Kikoru get red every time Kafka’s around???

A very basic celebration event to follow through. I mean the tension itself never felt serious to begin with, so in the end this was just as impactful as the “funny” humour in this series. Also, hey, you know Kafka’s a formal troop member now, because… that’s what the plot demands. Didn’t make any difference at all though, I mean they would’ve done that in the beginning itself, and we all should’ve just taken this as seriously as we doing now lol.
Jun 1, 7:33 AM
Jun 2012
Solid episode overall.

I was privileged to catch this one with the actual live feed.

So that was a unique experience. That I never knew was actually available.

I had previously believed that the delay between Western reception was close to live air as possible. However this was actually live.

It had solid closed captions that felt accurate to the audio.

I assume this falls under a pay per view type of broadcast.

The ad blocs even were customized to fill in the time.

Overall whoever is handling that. Did a good job.

As having that be my first relative exposure to it. Definitely sets the bar high.
Jun 1, 7:36 AM

Jun 2014
They poured a lot of love into the Hoshina scenes, making him look really cool as he fought Kafka. There were a few close calls but of course, Kafka escaped. Just barely, too.

The celebration was nice and Kafka even got a promotion. Looks like there isn't much room for down time though, as they've got a Kaiju air raid on the way.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jun 1, 8:09 AM

Jul 2015
The scene between Hoshina and Kafka wasn't that long animated but it showed how deadly Hoshina is to the viewers already.

The celebration was very cool, pretty sure they showed a lot more here in the anime than the manga, very epic, love to see everyone bickering and having a good time lol.

Kafka getting promoted finally!! And 50 more pushups

Mina leaves and what a coincidence.... seems a new challenger is on the way while she just happens to be out, looks like a certain someone is going to have to step up even harder.
Jun 1, 8:16 AM

Apr 2022
This episode just solidifies my opinion that Hoshina is the best character of this series
Jun 1, 8:17 AM

May 2015
Kaiju bombardment??
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 1, 8:18 AM

Jun 2021
All those blushing and Tsundere Kikoru scenes are just giving the weird fan of the series excuses to ship her with Kafka.

Anyways, looks like next episode will be full action pack.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

Jun 1, 8:20 AM

Oct 2020
Congrats Kafka to be promoted to a Full fledge Officer in Defence Force, I see trouble with Kaiju No. 10 with Battalion of Dragon Kaiju's.
Jun 1, 8:21 AM

Feb 2019
God I love Kikoru so much. She’s gonna go down as one of only a handful of tsunderes I like. I ship she and Kafka so hard. Their interactions are always my fave part of the episodes!

Congrats to my boy for becoming a full fledged defense force member, got a long way to go to catch up to Mina, but he’s making progress! Nice chill episode and Hoshina was smart enough to realise Kaiju 8 isn’t evil. No complaints. Next episode looks like it’ll be action packed with even more Kaiju
Marinate1016Jun 1, 8:37 AM
Jun 1, 8:28 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Love it!
I hope we get a second season.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jun 1, 8:29 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Marinate1016 said:
God I love Kikoru so much. She’s gonna go down as one of only a handful of tsunderes I like. I ship she and Kafka so hard

Same lol. Best girl ATM.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jun 1, 8:31 AM

Mar 2016
Nice and chill episode, and Kafka made it! Officially ne's now part of the team (and almost got caught). There's some intrigue going on there, I wonder if it's gonna take us somewhere. Don't feel sorry for the idiot of the red car, but talking of other kaijus... Next episode it's payback time baby!
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jun 1, 8:38 AM

Jan 2024
Hoshina and Kafkas fight was nice but I hoped Hoshina would do more damage every fight this far been too one sided.
Still Hoshina is the best male character of the series and only behind Shinomiya for me.
Also the smile in the end for Mina when she honoured Kafka was nice
Jun 1, 8:40 AM

Jan 2024
Reply to Softhenic03
Of course, it would only make sense for Kafka to escape the scene, I mean the main guy with a hidden identity doesn’t get publicly known until after a loooong while. By the way, we can already see Hoshina thinking number 8 intentionally didn’t hurt him and his actions were odd… so yeah, we can see where this is leading us to. Though I’ve been questioning this for years, but why in the blue hell does Kikoru get red every time Kafka’s around???

A very basic celebration event to follow through. I mean the tension itself never felt serious to begin with, so in the end this was just as impactful as the “funny” humour in this series. Also, hey, you know Kafka’s a formal troop member now, because… that’s what the plot demands. Didn’t make any difference at all though, I mean they would’ve done that in the beginning itself, and we all should’ve just taken this as seriously as we doing now lol.
@Softhenic03 I think she adores/like him for saving her a classic trope. Also I thinks it's not romantic(I hope so) more like "fatherly"
Jun 1, 8:44 AM

Nov 2016
This turn of events reminds so much of Parasyte.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 1, 8:44 AM
Oct 2016
Kafka is lucky to have escaped Vice Captain Hoshina. An exhilarating display of action as Hoshina tried to slice Kaiju 8 up to bits. The animation looked incredible as they both jumped around the alleyway and through the empty streets. Kafka never going on the offensive should've been a huge red flag for Hoshina and I'm glad he thought about that later. Why would a dangerous Kaiju never attack once, he had a clear shot to kill Hoshina but instead hit the blade and ran. That's definitely more human than Kaiju, Hoshina is gonna have to put this together before their next encounter. I'm glad that Kafka got promoted to an officer. His dream has no come true! Next is to eventually fight next to Mina, but for now just keeping his Kaiju identity under wraps might be worth more focus. With more people seeing Kaiju 8 in the field it will become harder to conceal. The after party celebration was nice, all of the unit reminiscing about how the mission went. With actual combat experience they can now look at room to improve themselves. It doesn't seem like peace will last long with this crazy looking red Kaiju preparing to descend.
Jun 1, 8:45 AM
Oct 2016
Reply to WaterMage
@Softhenic03 I think she adores/like him for saving her a classic trope. Also I thinks it's not romantic(I hope so) more like "fatherly"
@Macha_Chele It better not be romanric. He's 32 and she's 18. That would be disgusting.
Jun 1, 8:46 AM

Feb 2012
Kafka's faced plenty of close shaves, revealing a core to Hoshina and almost his identity to Iharu in the infirmary.
Although they got drunk and rowdy, the new JAKDF members discussed the battle, criticizing their comrades' mistakes. This is an experience they can hopefully come out better.
For Kafka's efforts, he's now an officer like the rest. While he is nowhere near standing beside Mina, her acknowledgement of that means she remembers their childhood promise.
Kafka's become so much of a Kaiju, he mentally pictures fear as his Kaiju-form nipple-pissing.
Fortress_MaximusJun 1, 3:35 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 1, 8:49 AM
Sep 2021
So, we are at Kaiju No 8's 8th episode, it has a nice ring to it. Kafka's team celebrated their 1st successful mission & Kafka also got promoted to a full pledged officer.
Jun 1, 9:00 AM

Jan 2018
The fight scene between Kaiju no. 8 and Vice-captain Hoshina was animated so well. It looked so good! But it barely counts as a fight since Kafka barely fought back. I wonder if there will ever be a proper rematch. Hoshina seems to think that there will be. Can't wait for that!

He did it! Kafka finally became an officer! That's awesome. I like how Hoshina announced it during the party. Even tho he has just barely caught up with his peers, it's nice to see that everyone celebrated it. It's always great to see everyone supporting the underdog.

Bruh. Kafka did it again. He "disrespected" his superior Mina. I think she did it just for the lolz this time since nobody else was there. I wonder when things will become normal between the two. Also, Ichikawa almost blew Kafka's cover in front of Iharu. That was funny.

That last scene was so ominous. That's not Kaiju No. 9. So, who the heck is it? Kaiju no. 10? Guess we'll see. Also, no. 9 killing that dude to transform into him reminded me of Parasyte a bit. I really need to rewatch that show. I watched it so long ago.

It's a bit sad that there are only 4 episodes left. It feels like the story has only just started. I really hope there will be a Season 2 fast. Kaiju No. 8 is one of the most consistently entertaining series I've seen in a while. I'll really miss it once it's over.
Jun 1, 9:02 AM

Oct 2017
Kikoru's such a sweetie, really loveable and amusing too. Kafka got the promotion, Mina remembers too, good luck guy. And with that the first big event is here.
Jun 1, 9:06 AM

Jan 2009
hoshina is a strong fighter for sure

congrats to kafka for being a full time soldier

time to fight another mega kaiju
Jun 1, 9:10 AM

Jul 2021
Dukino said:
better not be romanric. He's 32 and she's 18. That would be disgusting.
Actually, Kikoru is 16 year old.
Jun 1, 9:11 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Kafka versus Hoshina was pretty quick but it was certainly an exciting fight, Kafka learned just how outclassed he and his fellow defense force members are compared to Hoshina, there were a lot of close calls there, but Kafka was thankfully able to escape when he caught Hoshina’s blade, and hopefully with this fight leaving Hoshina confused about Kaiju No. 8, he is on his way to people seeing him in a better light, but for now they’re still hellbent on killing him if that last bit with Hoshina training tells us anything lol. Also nice to see Kafka get promoted thanks to his game changing reveal during the mission, he may still only be at 1% power but he’s up there with the rest of them now, I also liked his scene with Mina regarding the promotion later.

Also I wasn’t expecting the shouting matches during the dinner scene lol, I guess really it’s a good thing but it seemed like it could possibly get ugly at any moment. And after Kaiju No. 9 ate a poor unsuspecting guy to take his appearance, we finally got his name dropped within the show, they already had an episode with his name but it’s still important to label him in the world, and there was also Mina and Hoshina learning that Kaiju No. 9 can disguise himself as a human, it’s good info but it could potentially be bad for Kafka in the future. And lastly, damn I thought we might be in for some more chill episodes but nope, immediately after comes another humanoid kaiju with a kaiju air raid, guess the excitement isn’t going down soon
Jun 1, 9:13 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to E-Satie
All those blushing and Tsundere Kikoru scenes are just giving the weird fan of the series excuses to ship her with Kafka.

Anyways, looks like next episode will be full action pack.
E-Satie said:
Just under your comment you can see those weird fans who are shipping Kikoru and Kafka already. The author knows how to satisfy this type of people.
Jun 1, 9:16 AM

Jun 2020
Oh no, Hoshina is so hot in this episode.

Finally Kafka got promotion! That was fast actually.

I love how everyone also happy about this lol, that was wholesome as hell.

And Reno!
Jun 1, 9:32 AM

Dec 2016
Reply to waldy713
Solid episode overall.

I was privileged to catch this one with the actual live feed.

So that was a unique experience. That I never knew was actually available.

I had previously believed that the delay between Western reception was close to live air as possible. However this was actually live.

It had solid closed captions that felt accurate to the audio.

I assume this falls under a pay per view type of broadcast.

The ad blocs even were customized to fill in the time.

Overall whoever is handling that. Did a good job.

As having that be my first relative exposure to it. Definitely sets the bar high.
@waldy713

Is this some sort of advertisement for streaming services deployed by a robot? You didn't say anything about the actual episode. Why do you have to space out every sentence like that?
Jun 1, 9:36 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Kafka is now an official member of the defense force after surviving the fight against Hoshina. However, Hoshina has figured out that Kaiju #8 doesn't fight like a kaiju and more like a human and he's already training for their next encounter.

Looks like the next threat will be dealing with aerial kaijus. Death from above.
Jun 1, 9:37 AM
Apr 2024
A good episode, clearly a bridge episode to the great arc of the first part of the manga, it was cool to see how incredible Hoshina is and this is fundamental when the other squadrons are included in the story, which despite them being number three, their captains are not They are human, it was cool to see all that friendship and recognition from Reno to Kafta and finally the protagonist is now no longer a mere cadet, he is part of the defense troop as a soldier. And at the end we see the prelude to the invasion arc with Kaiju n10 arriving with other kaijus, next week will be very good.
Jun 1, 9:38 AM

Feb 2016
Everything in this ep occurred innthe first 5 minutes.
Jun 1, 9:41 AM

Mar 2021
Kaiju Kafka vs Hoshina was an awesome battle! Their rematch would be epic — also looking forward to the moment that Hoshina discovers who No. 8 really is. :)

This anime feels like a blend of AoT, Parasyte, and Seraph of the End (sthg about the military academy gives that vibe). I was surprised that several of the main characters are still under 20, shown as the OJ gang instead of beer. Ik it was kinda implied when Iharu talked about how Mina saved him when he was still in middle school, but still a surprise. I guess it makes sense tho, like joining the army at 18 or working at the cleanup crew straight out of high school. That makes Kikoru's crush on Kafka super weird tho. :P
Jun 1, 9:44 AM

Jul 2016
Kafka's promotion to a full-fledged officer was such a feel good moment, and learning that Hoshina was the one who recommended it made it all the more sweeter. The absolute side eye from Mina tho lmao

Really love how Kikoru's one of Kafka's military buddies now when it wasn't long ago she was rubbing her superiority to Kafka in his face (well she still does but still)
Jun 1, 9:52 AM

May 2022
Finally, Hoshino's potential vice-captain partner appeared too, hehe

Jun 1, 9:58 AM
Feb 2023
Supper episode nice
Jun 1, 10:04 AM

Jan 2024
Reply to Dukino
@Macha_Chele It better not be romanric. He's 32 and she's 18. That would be disgusting.
@Dukino someone said she was 16 yes Mina is and should be romantic partner if it goes that way
Jun 1, 10:39 AM
Oct 2019
Cool episode, I want to see the moment soon, I really hope for the next eps, I've already accepted this director's style
Jun 1, 10:47 AM
Feb 2024
The fight was animated so smoothly!!! I love the purple accents they gave Hoshina’s weapon, that was really cool. Goofballs like Hoshina are amazing when they finally decide to get serious, I really loved seeing this side of him.
It’s kind of strange though, Kafka was solely focused on defense and escape, most “Kaiju” would attack in this kind of situation, right? How come Hoshina didn’t realize that Kafka wasn’t fighting back- that he was just defending?
To clarify- afterwards he noticed something was off about the fight. But in the moment, if he had latched onto that detail, wouldn’t it have been a better idea to try and get information out of the Kaiju?

Anyways
It was so cute seeing Shinomiya and Ichikawa scrambling to cover for Kafka because Iharu overheard 😂.
And the little congratulatory cake! THEY’RE CHIBI!! (*≧∀≦*)
That party sure turned out to be chaotic (the Coala Beer on Hoshina’s drink was unexpectedly adorable though). And Kafka has officially joined the team! Wow, things are going great this episode.
Because it was so wholesome this episode though, now I’m extra worried about the next one 😅
Jun 1, 10:49 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to Dukino
@Dukino
Well just read the manga if bit bothered with it (other than that just try ignore it), don't worry i'm betting kafka and kikoru are not in relationship, more of a comrade senpai thingy (or stepfather/father figure like relationship) like reno and kafka because if kafka and kikoru happens that's gonna rub it the wrong/worse way for this story and why not just make kafka younger should that happen. (oh yeah kikoru is 16)
Jun 1, 11:02 AM
Jun 2023
damn this ep made new stuff and like adapt 3 chapters, guess less action less chapter adapted but the next 4 ep will have 4 chap adapted since that tease in the end of ep 8 (hopefully 5-6 chap so ease bit that hard cliffhanger). very much good ep and building up for the next ep also should give bit more eps for first season.
Jun 1, 11:24 AM
Jun 2012
Reply to Kimurah
@waldy713

Is this some sort of advertisement for streaming services deployed by a robot? You didn't say anything about the actual episode. Why do you have to space out every sentence like that?
@Kimurah

> Is this some sort of advertisement for streaming services deployed by a robot?

Nope, but I can see how that may come off as that. Wasn't intentional. It was just a really solid experience to see it Live Live. Without pause or rewind. It had a square, for stop, when I pressed to pause it. On resume it was in the commercial break.

It was just kind of a sudden disconnect from what I am used to viewing.

> Why do you have to space out every sentence like that?

Software Engineer

Some of the things from the stream that I took photos of. Just because they were cool.

Were these "commercials"

Inserted in place of ad blocs.

Also

The ^ best captain who appeared taking a photo a few times in quick succession.

Possibly as a part of the "glitched" out motif, they went with during the commercial breaks. Like its a Cyberpunk 2077 billboard ad, projected "holo" type deal. Thats what this all reminded me of.

Don't get me wrong these "commercials" added to the experience. Since we were forced to sit through the actual Japanese airtime (in s). Broadcasted commercial breaks.

Cool here in this instance. So thats why I mention it in the context of this episode. As thats how I viewed it this morning.

I wouldn't want them included in the normal "cut" and edited subbed/dubbed release though.

As I still prefer to have no interruption at all. For best storytelling and moviegoing experience.

That's one of this genre's largest draws for me.

Having these "filler" time slots. Within the episode kept that "anime" feeling within the Kaiju-8 universe.

Thats what they did solid work with. It could almost be an actual directorial decision.

To keep us as viewers pulled out of the action. If we were watching a feed and they hit the street camera or something.

Even if its not that here. You could tell what was going on. Which I thought was what I was going to talk about here.

As it stood out to me and thats how I usually right after viewing write stuff.

I guess I'll see if the novelty wears off if I watch it live next week, again?
Jun 1, 11:58 AM
Oct 2023
We got Daddy Hoshina this episode🥹
Jun 1, 12:20 PM

Dec 2018
He finally made captain! Still, his secret has gotta be revealed soon...I'd really like it if its sooner rather than later.
Jun 1, 12:31 PM

Jan 2008
I'm glad Kafka was able to get the recognition he deserved as himself, the human and not as the monster (even if it might be short-lived if the preview is anything to go by). I liked the subtle smile Mina had...right before giving Kakfa 50 pushups, lol.

It's cool that the weapons are made of super sci-fi monster parts and all, but there's always the nagging voice in the back of my head that hates the mall-ninja look of the vice-captain's swords, because they look almost identical to the ones marketed as "zombie" swords that's stamped out of flat sheet metal with paracord-wrapped handles.

I'm surprised to see a reappearance of him pissing himself from his nipples again, lol. I hope this is an ongoing gag joke.

I'm guessing the reason why so many giant kaiju keep attacking Japan is the same reason why space aliens and other UFOs only crash land in the US.
Estoy_GordoJun 1, 12:42 PM
Jun 1, 12:32 PM
Dec 2023
YOo thE ENDING OF THIS EP TOO WAS SICK
Jun 1, 12:32 PM

Apr 2015
this ending with the powerranger kaiju bruh
Jun 1, 1:44 PM

Aug 2019
The vice captain is insanely powerful and badass, my dude is not wasting a single moment and is already preparing for his next encounter with the Kaijus. I respect that tbh cause that’s commitment and it shows how he got to where he is now.

However, I’m also worried for Kafka since he has this insanely powerful person coming after him and I hope that he starts training even more in order to keep up with him in their next encounter.

Anyways, Kafka is now an official officer! Very Proud of him! And the next episode is going to be even more exciting!
Jun 1, 1:46 PM
Nov 2022
Great fight scene at the beginning and overall a fun episode!
Also, flying kaijus.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» what's with the hate? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 18

79 by m0llerz »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

jas-samaaa - Jun 8

187 by spookyskelly »»
Oct 19, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - May 25

177 by spookyskelly »»
Oct 19, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Fortress_Maximus - May 18

132 by Vasarcdus »»
Oct 17, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Kaijuu 8-gou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 29

277 by MrBeals »»
Oct 7, 6:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.