Forum Settings
Forums

14 Year Old Boy Arrested For Uploading One Piece Scans To Youtube [Update Jun 15]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 14, 2010 7:19 PM

Feb 2008
$21 million? That's a bloody lie. Everybody who watched his videos cost the industry $2-3? Please.

Show me actual sales numbers for the magazines and the manga volumes involved that show these kinds of damages and I might believe this. Weekly Shounen Jump costs around $2-3 and it has at least 3 chapters of some of the titles mentioned in each magazine so even if you assume everybody who watched the videos would buy the Weekly Shounen Jump these damages are at least 3 times too high. The reality is probably 10x too high, minimum.

The more serious part of these news is how he actually got these chapters before they were supposed to be out and for that, he'll burn.
Jun 14, 2010 7:22 PM

Nov 2007
Kracksickles said:
Hi, i like to apply for this job.

Uh.. Sorry we can't hire you.

May i ask why?

It says here in the crime records that you've been arrested and apparently arrested for uploading manga.

FFFFUUUUUU--

lol.

Yeah, this is a horrible. I don't know whether to be sad or happy.

Jun 14, 2010 7:31 PM

Jun 2009
d4n13lr0x said:
Honestly, I feel bad for this dude. I mean come on, he's 14. And besides, the funny thing about these people calling him an idiot and laughing at him, is that you're even worse: You're on your computer watching/reading anime/manga for FREE. Yet, when you hear some other person got caught for doing something that supplies you ungrateful wisecracks you just laugh and point as if it's something that only idiots would do. THAT is what is pathetic. Yeah, go ahead point and laugh till your sources of anime and manga finally shrivel up and die off, till there's nothing else to do but buy it yourself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this kid. He's done something wrong and is in trouble for doing it for whatever reasons. But the response I've read to it is just pitiful and disgusting.

Well said man. I definitely agree.
Jun 14, 2010 7:33 PM

Jul 2008
Why couldn't they just take down his blog/youtube channel?
Jun 14, 2010 8:18 PM
Jan 2010
GarLogan78 said:
Why couldn't they just take down his blog/youtube channel?

because this is not funny, and hunting kids they'll appear on tv

what is cheaper / easy for police? locate a illegal weapons dealer, or a boy who lives with an allowance from his father, watching animes on pc?

rdd_xvJun 14, 2010 8:24 PM
Jun 14, 2010 8:36 PM

Aug 2009
dtshyk said:
Kyoto Police estimated the amount of damage to be two billion yen ($21 million).

O.o
Jun 14, 2010 8:37 PM

Apr 2010
holy shit $21 million. good luck kid
Jun 14, 2010 8:38 PM

Aug 2009
TropicalPants said:
doeman said:
serves him right. all these damn pirates who upload and download anime should be sent to jail!

So are you volunteering to buy all the Anime/Manga I can't afford? Good to know, I'll hit you up when I need something bought!

On a more cereal note. Stfu u silly goose. :3

LOL, COUNT ME IN!
Jun 14, 2010 8:48 PM
Jan 2010
continuing...

what is cheaper / easy for police? locate a illegal weapons dealer, or a boy who lives with an allowance from his father, watching animes on pc?

which causes more damage to society?

the answer is obvious; but for the mainstream media, which has infinitely more power over the people, than some otaku forums, know that matters related to internet and informatic, give much more return, due to mistrust and lack of knowledge on this area of the previous generation. the media takes advantage of this difference of thought between one generation and another to get attention.
And the government and the police focus on it, knowing exactly what this kind of news that the TV wants, to promote themselves and look like they're doing something

basically a conspiracy of hypocrisy

I think that this farce will only stop, when our generation economically replace the current one, because everyone will have the knowledge and proximity to the Internet and be more reasonable about it.
rdd_xvJun 15, 2010 5:21 AM
Jun 14, 2010 9:12 PM

Apr 2008
OMG $21 million...not a good joke.

Jun 14, 2010 9:21 PM

Jul 2008
holy shit $21 million :0 this is no joke ...... best of luck kid
Jun 14, 2010 9:57 PM

Dec 2009
I'd shit myself if they did that to me xD.
Jun 14, 2010 10:05 PM

Feb 2008
think he would have had a better chance if he hadn't been uploading ahead of the official release. if he'd waited he probably would have been lost in the storm of other uploaders. not to mention that the estimated damages would have been much lower.

I expect an adult will eventually be arrested for this too, its unlikely that the kid was able to get the chapters that early on a regular basis without an adults help, unless he somehow hacked the publisher's computers or something.
Jun 14, 2010 10:20 PM

Dec 2009
Judging from what he has, the kid is rich, sort of

Jun 14, 2010 10:49 PM

Oct 2007
wow poor kid .. but daym... he broke a copy right law... they took everything.. i wonder how much pirated music/ games/anime he has in THAT stuff 0.0

good bye $21 million
hello screwed life >.<

Jun 14, 2010 11:02 PM
Jun 2010
Jun 14, 2010 11:44 PM

Aug 2008
Japan's crime rate is very low, and I've often heard stories about how Japanese police are so bored at their jobs for having no cases to solve. Nonetheless, arresting a 14 year old boy for uploading scanlations... at first, I kind of felt bad for him because it seemed harsh, but at a second glance...

1. He got them before the release date.
2. More importantly, he is completely silent on his sources. I smell something bigger is here at stake.

I've lost some sympathy for him because of those two points.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jun 15, 2010 12:05 AM

Oct 2009
poor kid, but he was doing a bad thing, so in a way surves him right!
( i think i spelled "surves" wrong)
Jun 15, 2010 12:27 AM
Nov 2008
rdd_xv said:
continuing...

which causes more damage to society?

Those are completely different units. Two completely different sets of officers would be taking on those jobs (copyright infringement and illegal weapons dealings).

And to the thread... Wow, US$21,000,000? Good luck with that kid. That's what you get for probably having someone at your dad's company funnel through early releases to you and not just simply keeping them to yourself.
Jun 15, 2010 1:04 AM

Apr 2010
icegenie said:
mung said:
LOL I have a huge doubt about this story

I find it hard to believe that a 14 yr old kid could get his hands on those manga without the publishers knowing :)) (I thinks it's a conspiracy)

hahahaha welcome to the NHK!
Jun 15, 2010 1:41 AM

Jul 2008
Phantoka said:
I don't know whether i should laugh or do a facepalm....
Anyways, poor kid. I wonder how he got the scans be4 the release tho.

mung said:
Wow.. it shows how desperate these companies are XD

I hope that these companies go Bankrupt for what they're doing hehe

we must not let them control the market!!! >:) manga is for everyone to enjoy!!! hehe

^ This (is the truth)

if this was the truth then no one would make money... and money is what makes the world go round.
also if these companies went bankrupt who is gonna supply the manga? no one in their right mind would do this shit for free, would you?
Jun 15, 2010 1:57 AM

Mar 2009
gr33nm4n said:

This : p
Apparantly Kimi to Boku will always be my last-anime-watched, until you check my profile :3~

Jun 15, 2010 2:07 AM

Nov 2008
If im one of the manga artist of the title up there i won't even charge them for scanning images online,it will ruin the life of a young child.
Jun 15, 2010 2:27 AM
Nov 2008
MoonRise said:
Wow..poor guy! Sometimes living in Japan may be not that good for some people.
Someone say Hiroshima?
Jun 15, 2010 4:10 AM

Feb 2010
bottle said:
Judging from what he has, the kid is rich, sort of

-lets off a whistle- so many psp for f? o.0
icegenie.pngUntitled-1_04-04.gif
Jun 15, 2010 4:38 AM
Jun 2009
juvenile law???
Jun 15, 2010 4:45 AM
Jun 2010
I've said it before. I know foreign countries follow the rule of stare decisis (legal precedent) less than the US being that they are civil law countries, but the Osaka High Court may very well overturn his fine or drastically reduce it since this is what they've done in the past.
Jun 15, 2010 4:59 AM

Oct 2009
Poor kid.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 15, 2010 5:01 AM

Aug 2009
lol what? $21 million? That's fuckin non-sense. There is some damn overstating going on.

Gees. It seems like police will not let go this case easily. Bad luck for this magical kid who managed to get magazine even before the publish. Genius.
Jun 15, 2010 6:33 AM

May 2008
BlackTruth said:
Phantoka said:
I don't know whether i should laugh or do a facepalm....
Anyways, poor kid. I wonder how he got the scans be4 the release tho.

mung said:

we must not let them control the market!!! >:) manga is for everyone to enjoy!!! hehe

^ This (is the truth)

if this was the truth then no one would make money... and money is what makes the world go round.
also if these companies went bankrupt who is gonna supply the manga? no one in their right mind would do this shit for free, would you?

Loosing Scanlations Sources for people like me is the same as being deprived of manga completely (Note that we don't really get the "good" manga in our country)
So might as well they go bankrupt >:) XD

Jun 15, 2010 6:41 AM

Oct 2009
doeman said:
serves him right. all these damn pirates who upload and download anime should be sent to jail!
You watch anime right? Then your no different!

But yes he got what he needed for uploading manga that has yet to be released.
Jun 15, 2010 6:43 AM

May 2010
mung said:

That's just stupid, so they're just supposed to dedicate resources and man-power pleasing everyone because of their good-will? That isn't how the world works, if they don't make money they might as well not do it in the first place.

What a naive perspective.

OT: They should punish the kid, but not ruin his life by huge fines and possible jail time, give him a shit-load of community service or something like that. Although they will probably make an example out of him.
Jun 15, 2010 6:52 AM

May 2008
Shilka said:
mung said:

That's just stupid, so they're just supposed to dedicate resources and man-power pleasing everyone because of their good-will? That isn't how the world works, if they don't make money they might as well not do it in the first place.

What a naive perspective.

OT: They should punish the kid, but not ruin his life by huge fines and possible jail time, give him a shit-load of community service or something like that. Although they will probably make an example out of him.

Scanlations are free and meant to be free for fans to enjoy... I am one of those people who PREFERS the real manga over scanned once, but as unfortunate as we are, we CANNOT get our hands on those mangas so we rely on the scans... If they are more available for us hell why not? I would really buy them.

So don't shun us just because that's the way we are. and what I meant by "I hope these companies go Bankrupt for what they're doing" I was referring to those companies who monopolizes there product and only has $$$ in their head.

Jun 15, 2010 8:18 AM

Jan 2010
...People upload manga onto youtube?

I wonder how he managed to get the material early. What suprises me most thought is the sheer amount of people who upload such licensed material all the time and get off scot-free, yet this guy gets in such big trouble. Seriously, you can find the episodes of pretty much any popular anime on youtube, and I doubt anything happens to the people who upload those videos...

doeman said:
Something gives me the feeling you still use animefreak though... >.>
Jun 15, 2010 8:30 AM
Apr 2009
Puttin the manga on Youtube, thats the real crime there
Makes no sense...reading manga on youtube of all places

Dont drop the soap jimmy
They still get you in Juvie too

But $21 million in damages?! Do they really expect the parents to pay that back? Really? Good luck with that.
ChimpJun 15, 2010 8:35 AM
Jun 15, 2010 8:35 AM
Jun 2010
Reading some of these comments makes me feel like I'm being trolled.
Jun 15, 2010 9:04 AM
Sep 2009
Well, at least he didn't kill someone, THEN blamed it on the manga that he read.Honestly though, that $21 million in damages is ridiculous enough. Good luck trying to pay that back.
Jun 15, 2010 9:30 AM

Mar 2010
While I agree the kid was in the wrong, I think the real problem is whoever provided the scans. I hope they find out who did it. It's kind of odd how he hasn't come out with it yet. His arrest was probably just an excuse to find his source.

Jun 15, 2010 9:42 AM
Feb 2010
Wooo, impressive work by the Police !
I hope they were careful and used machineguns, tanks and lots of well trained anti-terrorist guys
to arrest this hardcore criminal thug.
oh...and warning ! if You meet a "fileshare" thug, do not look him in the eyes, thats considered as an open provocation an You could get Your bankaccount hacked.
Remember, let the goverment do the thinking for You.
Jun 15, 2010 9:52 AM
Jul 2007
...Does nobody in this thread understand how industries work? seriously....

--
EDIT: Okay, finally got to the last page of the thread where some people were talking sense. I was REALLY getting worried about you, MAL.
Jun 15, 2010 9:56 AM

Feb 2010
*drops soap*
*suprisebuttsecksincoming*
LUL
Jun 15, 2010 10:01 AM

Oct 2009
I'm sorry I honestly don't feel sorry. If you're going to do that sort of thing WHY PICK ONE OF THE BIGGEST SITES IN THE WORLD!? Not be mean or anything just saying. I hope he doesn't get into to much crap. Seems wrong to do so over something so stupid.
Jun 15, 2010 10:07 AM

Apr 2010
poor kid , what a pity. that bullshit with uploading manga ruined his whole life.
Jun 15, 2010 10:29 AM
Mar 2010
Ichitakaseto said:
poor kid , what a pity. that bullshit with uploading manga ruined his whole life.

It's not gonna ruin his whole life. Even if his gonna go to jail it doesn't mean it's gonna ruin his life. I've got some friends that have been in jail and they are fine and I think his a little bit to young to go to jail anyway.
Jun 15, 2010 10:35 AM

Mar 2008
poor kid..
Jun 15, 2010 11:37 AM

Aug 2009
poor kid thats gonna cost him alot just for releasing some scans illegally its not like he hurt anyone with it and how did he get a hold of them in the first place
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Jun 15, 2010 12:02 PM

May 2010
mung said:

Scanlations are free and meant to be free for fans to enjoy... I am one of those people who PREFERS the real manga over scanned once, but as unfortunate as we are, we CANNOT get our hands on those mangas so we rely on the scans... If they are more available for us hell why not? I would really buy them.

So don't shun us just because that's the way we are. and what I meant by "I hope these companies go Bankrupt for what they're doing" I was referring to those companies who monopolizes there product and only has $$$ in their head.

It just sounded to me like you wanted every company that didn't want to hand out free manga to go bankrupt, anyway, I'd rather have the real retail manga as well, but since they won't get translated and sold locally (and importing some of them are just overly expensive) I will depend on most of the manga I read as scanlations as well.
Jun 15, 2010 12:32 PM
Apr 2010
Anyone With a brain uploads scans AFTER they have already been officially released..
Serves him right for not having the sense to wait >.>
Jun 15, 2010 2:06 PM
May 2008
i got an image going trough my head of a JP S.W.A.T team busting into his room while he's masterbating to hentai.

14 year old boy: TASKETE NARUTO!
JP swat member 1: erm...
JP swat member 2: Dareda? @@;
Jun 15, 2010 2:45 PM

May 2010
Raypture said:
The pathetic thing is they'll probably ruin his life forever with insane fines and possibly jail time.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - 41 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
41 minutes ago

» "Oshi no Ko" Season 2 Reveals Supporting Cast Pair, Opening Theme, First Promo

DatRandomDude - May 26

15 by red-tomato »»
5 hours ago

» 'Boku no Hero Academia the Movie: You're Next' Announces Additional Cast Pair

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

9 by RobertBobert »»
9 hours ago

» 'Sayounara Ryuusei, Konnichiwa Jinsei' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, First Promo for Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - May 29

3 by Nachtwandler_21 »»
11 hours ago

» 'Ninja Batman tai Yakuza League' Sequel Anime Movie Announced

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by MahiaErebeaNegi »»
Today, 1:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.