Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 16, 2:26 PM

Apr 2009
Reply to karrotStick
@Akaseaka Here's what happens in the novel,
It was then, just as I was using my magic to cauterize the second to last stump, that the hydra’s body trembled. I didn’t know what that movement meant. I could see it with my Eye of Foresight, but I didn’t understand it. The creature was too big.
“You moron!”
“Wait—!”
Before I realized what was happening, Paul had slammed me out of the way. Something enormous came crashing down right in front of my eyes.
But…it didn’t have a head anymore?
No—there was no head, but it did still have a neck.
The hydra was slinging its headless necks around like spiked whips—all eight of them! Every one of them was coated in tough scales that could shred flesh like a cheese grater. It whipped those necks around all at once, mowing down anything in the vicinity.
“Ruuudyyyyy!” Paul screamed, driving his foot into me to kick me out of the way.
Almost simultaneously, a thud resounded as something smashed to the ground right where I’d been a moment ago, in the once-empty space that had existed between Paul and me.
@karrotStick

Thanks for sharing the novel excerpt, it's much more satisfying than how things went down in the anime. One of the series' strengths is Rudy isn't an isekai main character who's all powerful and he even screws up spectacularly from time to time. That said, Rudy dropping the ball twice in a row without the extra context felt like a cheap "oh come on" moment after him adventuring for several years.

Overall it was still a fantastic episode, though, felt like a feast after so many school episodes of Rudy not being able to figure out Fitz is obviously Sylphie. Normally CGI is like nail on a chalkboard for me in anime but the hydra was actually fine. I was wondering how Zenith could be in the labyrinth for so long with no one able to find her and episode 10 and 9 did not disappoint on that front.

I'll miss Paul. He was one of my favorite characters in the show, he was such a lovable scoundrel. They sent him out with one hell of an episode at least. Norn's going to be devastated and after all the sacrifices of Paul's life and Rudy's arm Zenith's not even whole. I appreciate Mushoku Tensei not pulling punches. It's another one of its strengths. For all the laughs and perviness it's still a story with stakes that matter and suffering to overcome.

I only started marathoning this series a week or two ago and got caught up yesterday. Waiting a week is going to be rough after being spoiled with so many episodes to burn through at my heart's content up until now.
Jun 16, 2:27 PM

Feb 2014
Happy Father's Day, everyone. This will be one of the most brutal episode that I'll have watched in a long time with how things went down.

The animation for the fight against the Hydra was insane, so props to the production team for making it look so stellar. However, the main point of the episode was Paul sadly losing his life protecting Rudeus from harm's way. Even then, Rudeus lost his left hand, but it was worth it in helping to give Roxy enough time to deal the final blow to the Hydra and taking it down.

If losing Paul was already a sucker punch to the guts, seeing Zenith wake up after four days and not being able to speak properly at all is downright cruel. Rudeus's facial expression right at the very end of the episode was VERY heartbreaking to see. =(

RIP Paul.
Jun 16, 2:31 PM

Nov 2021
Zenith is the new casca ong
f to paul
Jun 16, 2:32 PM
Jul 2022
so so so good rip paul
Jun 16, 2:34 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
This was intense....and the end was depressing.
Best episode of s2.
Jun 16, 2:35 PM
Jul 2022
Reply to DeRickz
RIP Paul
Not to be disrespectful, but he traded his life for a vegetable
@DeRickz thats sooooo messed up lmao rip paul
Jun 16, 2:37 PM
Jul 2022
this episode was great. not often i run to mal to read responses, but when an episode is this good i have to know what other people think. rip Paul
Jun 16, 2:38 PM

Dec 2020
They really had to release this ep on Father's Day goddamnit way to make my chest feel excruciating pain. Sacrificin' his life to save his son on a journey to save his wife...what a man you're Paul, you have my utmost respect. You'll be always remembered. About Zenith I got spoilers a long ago that she'd turn up in this situation but man seeing it gives a different feeling of sorrow. Losing his dad in front of his eyes in a fight to save his mom only to find out the poor condition of her after the rescue...Rudy now faces another one of the most painful time of his life. Stay strong bro
GeoXsf9Jun 16, 2:42 PM
Jun 16, 2:41 PM
May 2022
a quote from the LN : "I never considered him my father but he always considered me his son" (rudeus about paul)
now Happy father's day, fuck you bind for delaying an episode to make paul's death on father's day, someone already covered the LN extra details so I wont be doing that, honestly by far the best episode, I think the hydra was CGI and it looked very good, the fight scene was pure 10/10 as always bind knows how to deliver, facial expressions as always 10/10 and the voice acting was a 10/10 nothing went wrong in this episode... well except for paul, paul was your average father he wasnt the greatest but he was the best that he could have been, thank you paul greyrat.
Jun 16, 2:45 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to Juukaliz
@V1P3R0P Yeah it didn't happen when he thought they won, that's not what I'm talking about. Now that you mention the tail though I see that Talhand had to protect Roxy from the tail, while Elinalise is jumping over it to avoid it.
Just the way I see it though that shouldn't be enough for Rudy to lose sight/awareness of the last head. I mean there is only one of them now. Just thinking he should be able to dodge or par it with magic or something if he just paid a bit more attention and then everything ends well.
And that's all if he didn't have the eye to see few seconds forward in time. Where was that? I mean with that he for sure would have seen the attack coming, no?
@Juukaliz Funny thing is it wasn't a tail that tried to hit Roxy - it was a neck with severed head.Rudy failed to realise that even without the head hydra could still do damage with its necks and that ultimately lead to what you saw.
Here how it was described in LN :

It was then, just as I was using my magic to cauterize the second to last
stump, that the hydra’s body trembled. I didn’t know what that movement
meant. I could see it with my Eye of Foresight, but I didn’t understand it. The
creature was too big.

“You moron!”

“Wait—!”

Before I realized what was happening, Paul had slammed me out of the
way. Something enormous came crashing down right in front of my eyes.

The hydra was slinging its headless necks around like spiked whips—
all eight of them! Every one of them was coated in tough scales that could
shred flesh like a cheese grater. It whipped those necks around all at once,
mowing down anything in the vicinity.

“Ruuudyyyyy!” Paul screamed, driving his foot into me to kick me out
of the way.
Jul 2021
It has surprised me in ways I did not expect as life reflects the same aspect... I have mixed emotions, especially regarding the parents of Rudeus, his life and his previous life experience- how it helps him and how sometimes I can't help but think that this anime is not all laughs, or "Hey look! Another ecchi scene."

It makes me feel quite a lot... I had a bad relationship with my father, but I'm not being biased by my own emotions. The voice acting, the animation and the pacing were done just right.

Writing to release my emotions here:

Previous life or old life.

Every moment. EVERYONE you love.

Cherish them.

Don't be too hard on yourself, do it even if you fail.

It is okay, you are never alone. Someone... now or in the days to come, is waiting for the future you, the one you are striving to be.

I'm done being a blabbermouth now, peace. ))
animesage210Jun 16, 2:48 PM
Jan 2009
Uh...damn.

So, now the real question becomes...was this the "regret" the Man God spoke of (dad dead, arm gone, mom brain damaged), or does it get even worse?

On a non-plot level, huge kudos for including Rudy's ability to see the future, which I've felt has been massively underused considering what a god-tier (literally) ability it is, plus realistically using the necks as weapons even after the heads were removed as well as having the hydra try and remove the cauterized portion to allow regrowth. Someone really thought through many of the plot holes (and filled them) which other animes would have ignored.
Jun 16, 2:46 PM
Apr 2022
Some people need to realize that just because you notice the cgi, does not mean it’s bad cgi. It was actually really fucking good cgi.

Anyways phenomenal episode and most likely already locked as my episode of the year
Jun 16, 2:47 PM
Nov 2022
My feelings got hurt this episode.
Jun 16, 2:49 PM

Jul 2017
Reply to Peenutz
Some people need to realize that just because you notice the cgi, does not mean it’s bad cgi. It was actually really fucking good cgi.

Anyways phenomenal episode and most likely already locked as my episode of the year
@Peenutz The fact that there is a lack of much CGI discourse about the episode with a lot of praise still going towards the animation explains how great the staff involved executed the CGI hydra shots and the hydra in general by mixing it with a lot of 2D shots too that look excellent.
Jun 16, 2:49 PM
Jul 2021
Reply to amf85
Uh...damn.

So, now the real question becomes...was this the "regret" the Man God spoke of (dad dead, arm gone, mom brain damaged), or does it get even worse?

On a non-plot level, huge kudos for including Rudy's ability to see the future, which I've felt has been massively underused considering what a god-tier (literally) ability it is, plus realistically using the necks as weapons even after the heads were removed as well as having the hydra try and remove the cauterized portion to allow regrowth. Someone really thought through many of the plot holes (and filled them) which other animes would have ignored.
@amf85 OH GOD NO, no more...
Jun 16, 3:00 PM

May 2020
Oh man, that... I was not ready for Paul to die. Well, he gave his life to a noble cause, rescuing his wife. Altough I'm pretty sure Zenith's got some form of alzheimer's now.
We saw the scenes from the opening, and man, that was a good fight.
Jun 16, 3:00 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to digao94
do we now till this point (no manga spoilers please) why zenith was trapped in that crystal? was that just the dragons ability to absord magic of some sort or it was something else thats gonna be explained in the future? (if it is just say yes)
@digao94 So you asking but you dont want spoilers? xD

The reason the hydra could absorb magic will be properly explored and will have meaningful for Rudeous, as in take advantage of it.
Zenith being trapped there will be slowly a topic that comes and it will eventually get an explanation and a connection, notice Elinalise was sure that Zenith would still be alive.
EVERYTHING is connected.

@rolopolo78
rolopolo78 said:
@Playcool For me, hydra fight surpasses s1 orsted cuz of how long it is.

That is a valid point, which is why this episode is harder to do and demanded more, but I m sure the staff of S1 could have keep that consistency AND push further in some areas, that would make the difference.

amf85 said:
Uh...damn.

No spoilers right?
This was volume 12, there is another turning point on either the end of volume 14 or beginning of volume 15 that will be a much bigger plot twist, will connect to this and the advice Man-God gave and would be FUCKED and will legit be one of the saddest and most emotional episodes that MT will ever have.
It is connected to this but I cant say further to avoid spoilers.

itsGhostie said:
oh..... shiiiiii

Your comment is the best, I truly can imagine an anime original, naive from the last episode, excited to see an epic fight and then getting HURT~~
PlaycoolJun 16, 3:13 PM
Jun 16, 3:01 PM
Apr 2020
Reply to Ellifein
@Juukaliz Funny thing is it wasn't a tail that tried to hit Roxy - it was a neck with severed head.Rudy failed to realise that even without the head hydra could still do damage with its necks and that ultimately lead to what you saw.
Here how it was described in LN :

It was then, just as I was using my magic to cauterize the second to last
stump, that the hydra’s body trembled. I didn’t know what that movement
meant. I could see it with my Eye of Foresight, but I didn’t understand it. The
creature was too big.

“You moron!”

“Wait—!”

Before I realized what was happening, Paul had slammed me out of the
way. Something enormous came crashing down right in front of my eyes.

The hydra was slinging its headless necks around like spiked whips—
all eight of them! Every one of them was coated in tough scales that could
shred flesh like a cheese grater. It whipped those necks around all at once,
mowing down anything in the vicinity.

“Ruuudyyyyy!” Paul screamed, driving his foot into me to kick me out
of the way.
@Ellifein Thanks for this! Very informative and helpful
Jun 16, 3:01 PM
Dec 2020
Uma profunda tristeza
Jun 16, 3:04 PM
Jul 2022
I'm going to hung myself
Jun 16, 3:05 PM

Apr 2021
So it was Rudy's excitement at succeeding that caused him to let his guard down.

Sad that the win against the hydra, cost Rudy so very much, both his father and mother are loses.

With no one to comfort him in his grief.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Jun 16, 3:09 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to animejas
@Peenutz The fact that there is a lack of much CGI discourse about the episode with a lot of praise still going towards the animation explains how great the staff involved executed the CGI hydra shots and the hydra in general by mixing it with a lot of 2D shots too that look excellent.
@animejas yeah the smears on the hydra and 2D shading really elevated it. I think having the storyboarder of the ep be very familiar with cgi probably helped a lot
Jun 16, 3:13 PM
Jan 2021
MUSHOKU SIEMPRE LO MEJOR
Jun 16, 3:17 PM
Feb 2015
thank god that rapist piece of shit died :). first good episode of mushoku tensei. now if rudy can just die in the most painful way possible i might start considering this a good anime
Jun 16, 3:20 PM
Apr 2021
lowkey a tough watch on father’s day 😭
Jun 16, 3:21 PM
May 2017
Excellent episode, through and through.

Mission accomplished, Paul. Requiescat in pace.

Rudeus lost his left hand.

Rudeus lost his father.

Rudeus lost his mother.

Rudeus had his first daughter, Zenith.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jun 16, 3:22 PM

Dec 2012
Reply to DeRickz
RIP Paul
Not to be disrespectful, but he traded his life for a vegetable
@DeRickz Did we see the same episode? Because to me it looked like he just saved his son.

This episode is the #1 reason why offensive magic is dogshit in comparison to healing and recovery/rebirth magic. The comparison to reality is apt since we have tech marvels for destroying anything but can barely heal ourselves or the world around us.
Jun 16, 3:24 PM
Nov 2021
anime done right!
Jun 16, 3:26 PM
Aug 2021
This is the best episode of MT by far. The absolutely cruel and harsh reality of death portrayed in this episode is top notch. It is brutal, and it doesn’t often give anyone the chance for that all-too-commonly used last words scene in most media. Paul is brutally killed and everyone who knew him is left to deal with that reality without a single final sentiment. Rip Paul. Absolutely devious timing for this episode l.

The animation was crisp and did a fantastic job portraying the intensity of the fight. The strategy was so well worked, but the beauty of Paul’s sacrifice is that he truly cares for his son and his family, you have always been able to feel this even if he hasn’t had the best of character. Rudy may not consider him a dad in the truest sense, but Paul undoubtedly loved Rudy as his son. And Rudy has an absolute lapse of focus in the face of certain victory, a very human feeling of thinking ahead and losing oneself in the moment. Paul chooses to lay down his life to protect his son, another very human and real portrayal of paternal instinct.

The final scene of this episode hammers home the realities of how unfair life can be. Paul’s sacrifice, everyone’s hard fought effort and blood shed to save Zenith appears, at least for now, to have been for naught. If Zenith cannot live as she once did, or is unable to comprehend/communicate as a person, Rudeus will have lost both of his parents. No wonder his decision to go against Hitogami’s advice marked our third turning point. It will be quite interesting to see the effects of this decision going beyond this tragedy.

Absolutely brilliant, Studio Bind. Cruel, emotional, brutally real. It’s episodes like this that remind me why I love Mushoku Tensei
Jun 16, 3:31 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to Embient
Btw why does Rudy still use incantations sometimes? Does it make it less mentally taxing to cast?
The animation during the fight is beautiful
WAIT WHAT WHY NOOOOO
Literally got goosebumps when they showed half of Paul's body laying like that
And that ending... Did Zenith really just lose all of her memories? Like, literally everything? Dear god T_T
Happy father's day everyone
@Embient It was briefly mentioned earlier in the season in episode 15, but Rudy can't use healing magic chantless because he doesn't "understand" the way it works. With other forms of magic, he's able to intuit it's mechanics after having use a spell once, but because Rudy "doesn't understand how the person on the receiving end feels", he can't really use chantless healing. In other cases, where he launches an attack and yells out the name, he does so in order to alert his other party members of what spell he's about to use. It helps improve teamwork, ensures people don't get caught in the wake of a spell, etc.
Jun 16, 3:33 PM
Apr 2014
Last time I had so much trauma from the single episode was That episode of Hunter x Hunter
Jun 16, 3:45 PM

Aug 2014
Don't even know what to say honestly.. Was just having a moment of silence for some time after the end of the episode.
Hitogami was right, now Rudeus will absolutely regret going just to come back without an arm, a father and partially without his mother. God damn.
Jun 16, 3:45 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to SleepingNinja15
@MangagnaM I have to respectfully disagree with you here about while it's true that all those mentioned are S-rank adventures aside from Roxy the likes of Paul, Elinalise and Talhand are actually not frontrunners in their respective professions. Paul is only Advanced class in all the sword styles, while for example Eris & Ghislaine are both Sword Kings in the Sword God style - Eris also outclasses him in North God style as a North Saint, Paul has versatility over them as an Advanced user in Water God style though. Elinalise did her job just fine as a Tank roll but Talhand was completely useless and only serves to show that the party dynamic was bad overall and goes to show how balance is really needed. So to clarify below

Tank class - Elinalise

Physical Attacker - Paul

Mid-range mage - Talhand

Long-range mage - Roxy, Rudy.

This is a bad dynamic of 'too much magic' in a team and it's very clear that there needs to be at minimum 2 capable attackers. It's a real shame because if either Ghislaine OR Eris had been present then fighting that hydra would have become a cakewalk, but because they were stuck with only 1 capable attacker we got this kind of result when faced against an enemy with a strong magic resistance. For a group of S-rank adventurers you'd think they'd notice the party dynamic wasn't optimal for facing an S-rank dungeon. On top of that Rudy was an otaku that played tons of video games, anyone with any type of fantasy RPG experience or had played any MMORPG knows at minimum to tackle instances you need a minimum of 1-tank 1-healer and 3 DPS.
@SleepingNinja15 Spoilers, my guy. The anime hasn't shown Eris's perspective yet, so the fact that she becomes a Sword King isn't supposed to be known yet.
Jun 16, 3:47 PM
Sep 2012
The only way this episode would be even more devastating, would be if it aired on the next Sunday instead. 23th June is Father's Day in my country.
Jun 16, 3:47 PM
Apr 2022
I had read about how he would die. and was checking MAL on any new episode threads when this popped up and another thread "latest episode absolutely broke me" and I just knew. Went in the episode and they teleport and I see the hydra and I realised this was it. It was so immediate and the fact he couldn't say a single thing made it all the more worse. You are just slammed with reality in an instant.
Jun 16, 3:49 PM
Aug 2020
PEAK I CANT SAY MORE
LET ME REST PLIZ
Jun 16, 3:50 PM

Dec 2016
RIP to Paul, he may not have been the best dad, but he sure did try his best to be it.
I hope the person who decided to air this episode on fathers day will step into water everytime they walk with socks on.

The thing that saddens me the most is how Norn will feel about this. Her father is dead, her mother is mentally dead and her brother got crippled because she told him to go and save her mother. The great depression will hit her big when she gets the news.
Jun 16, 3:54 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to MangagnaM
And in fitting fashion, bots are back to ruin the score of the most important ep of this season. Wonderful... what a shame that this happens constantly.

@MangagnaM this is why you want to move to sites like imdb now.
Jun 16, 3:54 PM

May 2016
he will NOT be missed*
guy was a asshole.

10/10 episode tho
Jun 16, 4:05 PM
May 2019
Reply to NeutroNShivA
I cant get over how they didnt use any ost in that last Paul scene. I know quiet can sometimes be better choice than any music, but it just wasnt the case here. It just felt lazy to have such big scene and no music whatsoever. Imagine this scene with something like "Requiem of silence". Would have been significantly better.
@NeutroNShivA Imo, music cheapens scenes like these. Music basically beats me over the head with a stick labeled, "BE SAD", I'm so glad they didn't.
Jun 16, 4:06 PM
Aug 2023
manga readers dose rudy mom recover her memories?
Jun 16, 4:08 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Reply to Deku251
RIP to Paul, he may not have been the best dad, but he sure did try his best to be it.
I hope the person who decided to air this episode on fathers day will step into water everytime they walk with socks on.

The thing that saddens me the most is how Norn will feel about this. Her father is dead, her mother is mentally dead and her brother got crippled because she told him to go and save her mother. The great depression will hit her big when she gets the news.
Deku251 said:

And this is why episode 12 will still hit hard, this series knows how to deal with heavy baggage like this, not shying away from it.

Next two weeks will be cry season, and then a long-suffering till S3.
Jun 16, 4:09 PM
May 2024
Dammit, paul....
Jun 16, 4:10 PM
Nov 2017
oh come the fuck on
Jun 16, 4:15 PM
Apr 2018
🫢 Me when they show Paul on that rubble.
Jun 16, 4:28 PM
Apr 2023
episode of the year
Jun 16, 4:31 PM

Nov 2015
Wonders if that would have happened if rudeus didn't choose to go to begaritt...

On father's day no less.
Jun 16, 4:32 PM
Jul 2012
Damn, Hitogami wasn't kidding - going to the labyrinth resulted in the death of his beloved father and the "rescue" of his mother in a braindead state... only disappointment was gained from that decision.
Jun 16, 4:37 PM
Jul 2012
Reply to yhunata
@IzanaSolos You know what the really sick part of that delay is? It's not even Fathers day in Japan when the episode released. They did that purely to fuck with the international audiences.
@yhunata It's not father's day in loads of countries.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jun 30

390 by Corrupteddrago »»
Yesterday, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ArimaKana - Jun 23

369 by TheOtherJN »»
Yesterday, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MegamiRem - Jun 9

217 by TheOtherJN »»
Sep 26, 10:22 PM

Poll: » Would you also deny Aisha's request? (SPOILER episode 6) ( 1 2 )

Zarutaku - May 25

61 by Zarutaku »»
Sep 22, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 21

194 by Ragnar00lobrock »»
Sep 21, 10:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.