Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 16, 3:02 PM

Dec 2020
Just because something is bad or mediocre, doesn't mean it isn't entertaining.
Jun 16, 3:28 PM

Feb 2023
In most cases I just drop anime if I don't enjoy them (especially if they become boring), but sometimes I get too attached to some aspect of the anime that I keep watching to enjoy the parts that I like or in the hope that it eventually gets better.

While I don't necessarily like bad anime, it's also not like I absolutely can't enjoy them. An anime doesn't have to be good to get me hooked, it only needs to be interesting.
Jun 16, 3:29 PM
Aug 2020
Only one, Armed Blue Gunvolt. That one sucked so hard that it's fortunate there was only one episode made. The only bright spot in that one, and the sole reason I watched it to begin with, was Sakuragawa Megu as the female lead. I'm a big Roselia fan, and Megu hasn't done a whole lot outside of BanGDream!, so I watched it for her sake. I don't recommend it, at all. I gave it a "pity 5" and dumped it into the "never again" list lol...
Jun 16, 3:35 PM
Jun 2019
Yes, with the first being E's Otherwise due to the ending being a bit anti climatic.

I also considered Ben-to being a five because of this one being unlikeable -> ttps://myanimelist.net/character/48157/Ume_Shiraume
But, I liked most of the other stuff of it outside of her, so it is a six.
Jun 16, 3:55 PM

Apr 2024
There have been times when I saw an anime that I would need to rate 11 or even 12 in relation to how I rated everything else. As that is impossible, I did the next best thing and adjusted everything else downwards. The last time I did this was when I had less than 300 anime in my list, though.

Then there are anime I used to enjoy, but the ending or rewatching ruined my impression of them.

Sometimes I'm just forced by the situation to sit through something, when watching with other people.

So yeah, there are probably plenty of examples for that in my list. (My list on MAL doesn't have even a tenth of the anime I've seen. I added a bit, but then it became mendokusai.)
Jun 16, 4:06 PM

May 2021
I totally get this perspective but I have a good handful of completed anime I’ve rated under a 6

sometimes I’ll see an anime through for the sole reason of wanting to see the resolution, other times it’s because a show is considered a top tier anime and I just want to see why
a lot of the time I’ve watched so much of it that I just want to see the end because I’m already in too deep

these days I’ll drop a seasonal after one or a couple eps as to not end up in that position— but I never rate anime I drop early on because I think rating something you haven’t seen much of is pretty irrelevant
Jun 16, 5:00 PM

Dec 2012
I have the same policy, I just drop stuff now when I don't like them or they're boring, but...

Yes, I have things in my completed list that are rated 1-5, because of one of the following reasons:

1. It was entertaining until I'd already watched most of it already then it did something in the last half or the final episode that caused me to lower the score
2. It was something short like a movie or OVA that didn't take much time to finish
3. I bought it on DVD/BD so I decided I'd watch the whole thing to get my money's worth out of it.
4. It was something my college's anime club was watching and I was out-voted and had to sit through it in order to continue watching shows I liked.

The first 2 reasons still apply but the last 2 are mistakes of the past that are not current policy. I don't blind buy anymore and my college years were in the 2000s.
KruszerJun 16, 5:18 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jun 16, 8:11 PM

Apr 2009
MAL defines 5 as Average so it's not even like that's offensively bad. Plenty of rated 5 anime I watched that I don't regret even if I wouldn't watch most of them a second time. Most of what I've finished that's lower is part of a franchise I like such as .hack and Final Fantasy I felt compelled to finish or a movie even if it sucked. It's pretty rare I come across anything so bad I have to drop, but maybe that just means I'm decent at self-selecting what I want to watch.

Latest 4 is which a show which by all rights I should've followed my gut and dropped after a couple episodes, but it weirdly climaxed mid-season all the stuff it was building up and I was curious where it was going to go. Turns out nowhere, but hey, it at least hooked my interest in a trainwreck kind of way.
Jun 16, 8:29 PM

Jun 2022
Yes. Most of them were pretty short. My time is cheap, and I get enjoyment from bad anime too, so that is why.
Jun 16, 8:52 PM
Oct 2019
Yes. Because I used to give some series the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they get better at some point. I've given up on that by now. If I'm not enjoying it by 6 episodes in, I drop it. Sometimes I don't even make it that far in.
Jun 16, 11:15 PM

Nov 2023
Yes, theres quite a few of them, try to drop the longer 12 episode ones unless it is funny bad. I still find <5 better then a 6 because they already tell you is bad and not tricking you
Jun 16, 11:35 PM

Mar 2020
A decent percentage of what I've watched is below the threshold because before I'd watch every seasonal show regardless of how bad it was. If not seasonal I probably felt entitled to finish it if it was least bit entertaining. Nowadays if it's below 5 most likely a drop.
Jun 17, 5:22 AM
Dec 2021
Do you have animes you rated 5 and under?

Yes

Why?

Because my enjoyment of those anime was average or below average.
Jun 17, 5:30 AM

Apr 2013
Yes, a lot of them actually. I just have an unhealthy habit of completing almost everything that I start.
Though some anime really start off quite interesting and then introduce some unnecessary drama in the last few episodes. And at that point I might as well complete it if I have already watched 10 of 12 episodes.
Jun 17, 5:42 AM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
sometimes you just want to know what will happen/how it will end

or you don't have anything better to watch, or last ep was so bad it made your rating drop and many other reasons

it's actually strange to see someone with no sub 6 scored anime in their list.

Jun 17, 5:54 AM
Feb 2021
my 5, doesn't mean it's bad. It self-explanatory--it is "average". And average is still has its good juice. My 4, 3 and 2 are even are somewhat consumable and give some entertainment
Jun 17, 10:50 AM

Dec 2022
Yes because I am a completionist, or rather I was. Now I have effectively stopped watching animes. Kinda shifted on to manga.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Jun 17, 11:37 AM
best $30 i spent

Oct 2023
idk bruh i just like completing shit unless its SOOO bad that i just have to drop
Jun 17, 2:07 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
I just watch shit anime at 200-400% speed to get through them quicker. I can keep up with dialogue/subs no prob. I don't like dropping anime in general (can't explain why logically, it's purely an emotional reaction).
Jun 17, 2:20 PM

May 2016
yes but not many. the only reason i'd rate an anime under like 5 or 6 is because the anime is just boring or im not necessarily vibing with the artstyle; but then again i drop anime due to the reasons so its really just a matter of whether i like it.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
MAL Graph

Jun 17, 4:40 PM

Oct 2014
Over 40 that are 5 or under (only 9 were 4 or under). A 5 for me is "neither good or bad". A good chunk were boring (didn't hold my interest but maybe they had a character I liked which carried the show). Or like someone mentioned the last few episodes rubbed me the wrong way and a 6 ended up getting downgraded to a 5. In the case of the first two seasons of Aria (fell asleep multiple times, often a couple times an episode) I pushed through because I'd heard fantastic things about Origination (which turned out to be accurate).

I'm not a completionist (21 drops) although I'm probably more tolerant than I should be, hoping for an improvement, etc. I also have 17 On Hold probably half of which will get dropped and the other half finished but relegated to the 5 bin.

8oomerJun 17, 4:56 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Jun 17, 10:39 PM

Aug 2010
First of all, no drop policy. However with at least half of the 5s and under I assumed I’d like the show but it was just a big letdown - either boring, trash plot or flat characters. Sometimes I also like to intentionally watch bad shows just for the hype. And then there’s the most important thing - I like to keep my watch list balanced. I don’t like watching good shows only - it gets boring after a while. One or two trash shows spice it up a little and make me appeeciate the great ones (or above average ones) even more.
Jun 17, 10:49 PM

Oct 2013
at this point I have seen so many anime's that I feel like I am just way pickier and have higher expectations. I typically will just finish the shows I watch that are bad because I'm able to multitask with a split screen, but if I'm super engaged then I'll totally sit and watch the entire through
Jun 18, 12:32 AM

Oct 2017
I refuse to drop stuff even if I do hate it. It feels wrong to me to quit. I have a total of 645 completes 5 and under
Jun 18, 1:31 AM
Sep 2022
Reply to Bruh69XD
@vasipi4946 i want to know now too. there’s stuff that most people think is bad mixed in there so I don’t think it’s a troll.
@Bruh69XD vasipi4946 is just a troll looking for attention for his "controversial" views.
Jun 18, 1:37 AM
Sep 2022
Personally, if I want to watch "average" material there's an infinite supply of that on Netflix and broadcast TV. I'm here for the good stuff and I have a wife and a job so time is valuable. 5 or less is an indulgence I don't wish to pay for. So I generally drop anything that's not going to hit some heights.

Of course, sometimes a series or movie goes wrong so close to the end that momentum or hope carries me though to the conclusion.

I generally don't rate anything I drop; there's always a chance that I missed some redeeming aspect and my score would be unfair.
therealnagoraJun 18, 1:40 AM
Jun 18, 4:26 AM

Jun 2024
Ye, a couple but one stands above all of them
It's one of the most beautifully crafted cinematic masterpiece of an anime (look at my name and pfp)
The first anime that felt like home to me β™‘

Everything about it seems perfect, the plot, characters, music, animation

"It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence"
-Monke
Jun 18, 4:38 AM

Oct 2021
Having hopes that it becomes better is the only reason why I have series in my completed list, which have been rated badly by me.
Jun 18, 4:55 AM

Mar 2023
Because I realised I should use all of the score numbers provided, so about half of the things I watch end up 5 or bellow, since half the score numbers are 5 or bellow.
This also means that half end up 6 or above.
Scores are just rankings, more closer to the center (5 and 6, 4 and 7) and less further to the sides (such as 1 and 10 aka extreme cases)

Jun 18, 5:09 AM

Jan 2023
Yes, I have several. And because they don't deserve more, because they are bad.
The same thing happens with movies. Some last more than two hours and as the minutes go by it gets worse and worse, but that doesn't mean I stop watching it.
Jun 18, 7:44 AM
Sep 2011
As many have stated, 5 is dead average not 'bad'. To answer the original question, yeah I've got a bunch under 6 on my list. I refuse to quit an anime i've started and also do the annual challenge which has gotten me to watch some legitimate garbage ngl xD
Jun 18, 8:04 AM

Nov 2019
Yes because it reflects my personal opinion. Some things are uninspiring or not entertaining to garner a higher rating than 6
Jun 18, 10:44 AM

Mar 2020
I do have some but only a few and its mostly other seasons of anime and I wanted to finish it, mainly nanatsu no taizai, I wanted to shut my brain and do something else while watching it, it was such a pain for me I put it at 3/10.
If you like doors welcome to the club Door Lovers!
Jun 18, 11:19 AM

Jul 2013
No offense (to the OP). But I don't rate anime television shows.
Jun 18, 11:56 AM

Jun 2016
Anything that I've rated a 3 was so bad I thought they were funny. Stuff like Mars of Destruction and Garzey's Wing.
Jun 18, 12:30 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Lost_Viking
Anything that I've rated a 3 was so bad I thought they were funny. Stuff like Mars of Destruction and Garzey's Wing.
@Lost_Viking ratings never mattered anyways btw.
Jun 18, 3:08 PM

Mar 2020
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Lost_Viking ratings never mattered anyways btw.
@DesuMaiden I mean yes they do, ratings can help you find animes, most of the time I took up an anime of a low rating I dropped it, because it was pretty objectively not great.
If you like doors welcome to the club Door Lovers!
Jun 18, 3:30 PM

Oct 2010
The ones I've rated very low are shows I watched with other people. It's funny how bad this sounds, but it's just that I will quickly drop a show on my own if I'm not enjoying it
Jun 18, 4:26 PM
Feb 2024
I have several. I completed Rebirth of Buddha because it was just a movie. I completed Kill la Kill because it mainly got worse in the second half. I completed Zom 100 because it wasn't a long series and was still enjoyable. I completed the first two parts of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean because it was somewhat fun but eventually I got fed up.
Jun 18, 5:02 PM

Dec 2017
I stopped rating and caring about rating years ago. But I remember wanting to actually use the whole 1-10 scale compared to many other MAL users that used something along the lines of 6: bad - 10: masterpiece.

So when actually treating a 5 as an "average" anime and a 4 as not necessarily bad. it piled up pretty quickly, espechially when u watch multiple shows each season - like I used to back then. I also rarely used to drop animes

So having a slightly altered rating system and refusing to drop 98% of anime no matter the quality i ended up with 201 anime rated 1-5
Jun 18, 5:49 PM

Sep 2019
Yeah, I just had plenty of time back then that even if I didn't necessarily vibe with a show as much, I still wanted to finish it either way. Nowadays though I don't have really have the time nor do I care about ratings as much, so I just drop a show if starts to bore me.
Jun 18, 6:30 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
I watched like 90% of my completed animes scored 5 or less within group watching sessions, so at least we were entertained by chatting about how bad the anime was (or whatever other topic was handy at the moment xD ).
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jun 19, 5:08 AM
Oct 2021
My most under 5 are personal rating not that actually bad, most of em are harem
Jun 20, 6:15 AM

May 2018
Some people just can't put up with the fact that someone, unlike them, is able to divide anime they watched and enjoyed in ten different categories.
They think everyone should use only 3-4 upper scores for everything like they do. And when they see a slightly more complex and more intelligent approach they start feeling uncomfortable and start coming up with weird ideas and wrong conclusions.
Superficial snowflakes with 7.5+ mean score just can't comprehend the fact that people enjoyed shows they rated 5 and lower. They just assume we hate those shows and suffer while watching them lol. We don't. We enjoy anime a lot.
I bet my 4/10 has more love and appreciation than OP's 8/10.
Nemo_NiemandJun 20, 6:26 AM
Jun 20, 6:22 AM
Jul 2018
I still don't understand how having a rating of 5(average) equals the show is bad.
One of the reasons I stopped rating shows I always ended up rating everything between 4-6 so I found there is no real point in rating for me at least.
Jun 20, 6:30 AM

Apr 2008
I used to try and not drop shows so I would try and complete everything until it started to feel like a chore so I stopped doing that. Other factors for me is the anime started out good and then really declined in the later episodes like RE: Monster...I enjoyed the first half of the anime but then it just got really stupid near the later half of the anime. It's a shorter anime so by the time it started to decline for me there were not that many episodes left so I just decided to complete it. If it was a longer anime I would have dropped it.
SevenJun 20, 6:33 AM
Jun 20, 6:30 AM
SuperEdgeLordGo

Feb 2014
My logic is, why watch something if you either know that its bad, or it is while watching it?

Back in my day we didn't have the luxury of reviews at the touch of a button. When it came to anime on TV, we didn't even have a synopsis sometimes. Sometimes we never had a clue what we were watching. Have you ever seen Odin: Photon Space Sailor Starlight? Or Ronin Warriors? Or Lensman? Back then we took what we could get and not all of it was Redo of Healer quality.
“When people see some things as beautiful, other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good, other things become bad.”
Jun 20, 1:38 PM

Aug 2020
Sure. 5+ is "alright" to me, so no reason to drop it. Below 5 and completed usually only happens on later seasons of shows I already love, so if, for example, the first season was AMAZING I'm gonna have hopes for the second season too, ofc, so even when it's bad at first, I hold onto that hope that this is just a little stumble, SURELY it will return to form soon, riiight?? Except sometimes it never does πŸ₯²
Or sometimes, the show itself is great UNTIL the ending and that is so bad that it undoes everything that used to be good, but it's not like I could know that before the end.
Jun 21, 1:16 AM

Mar 2021
There are many anime which I did not particularly like even from the outset, but I was still invested in the story and wanted to see it through.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jun 21, 2:33 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I finish everything I start. That is all.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite anime girl school uniform

VampireSylphy - Today

17 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
2 minutes ago

» What do anime fans want from the medium?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

26 by Notoshin »»
4 minutes ago

» why are women being so unseen as audience ? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ame - Oct 13

246 by MFDOOMED »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you think Male targeted romance/manga are good.

Lol1268 - Oct 11

26 by Memore »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Favorite Brand New Anime Franchises of 2024

FriendlyPaw - Yesterday

14 by StyxParadise »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.