Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 »
Jun 5, 2019 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed this, through the whole series i loved and hated the attitude of the characters and this made the whole show feel much more organic, and by the end Misaki seems waaaay more broken than Satou ever was, since part of his problem was that he was receiving help to live in his destructive lifestyle, what did bother me was the fact they introduced the romance aspect in the date episode and barely touched it again after it, but overall was a good ride and the soundtrack was amazing and climatic, i will read the manga and the novel too.
removed-userJun 5, 2019 10:27 AM
Jun 29, 2019 2:46 PM
Apr 2018
I don't know what should I say? But at least i liked it even the end not satisfying at all and some episode wasn't that good
So I will give it 8/10
Jun 29, 2019 6:05 PM
Apr 2019
honestly one of the best i have watched. 10/10
the fact that lots of people are giving the ending flak because of the ship not being complete is ridiculous. while this had the romance tag i didnt really see it as the main point of the show.
Sep 23, 2019 9:09 AM

Apr 2014
even after all these year this series is still really amazing even more so than it was when i first saw this

a lot of lessons to be learned from this series a lot of real issues aswell this series has a lot going on and is why i love it so much

its honestly a really bitter sweet series but again a reason why its so good imo if anything this series is Life ... only on this earth for so long so in the end its best to do the best you can to do even better than that to not throw your life away and live on

this series really helped me a lot when i first watched it years ago and i also feel like it would help others definitely a must watch

last thing in the end that was basically a form of marriage basically them saying they will spend the rest of their lives together so you can pretty much say they will be together which is why i really wish in the end had a little time skip showing how thing went for them but even though we didnt get that its pretty clear with how things end which is why i can be satisfied with the ending we got

also this series is also saying is everyone needs someone in their lives cause what helped the MC the most in the people that entered his life and was there for him which is why its so important to have good people in your life

but yeah i'll stop there been going on for to long this series us amazing everyone should give it a watch and this is forever an all l time fave of mines
DazeFireSep 23, 2019 9:15 AM
"one step at a time"
Nov 1, 2019 4:59 AM
Jul 2016
Sato saved Misaki with the only way he knew how. I LOVE IT!

Like I thought, Sato x Misaki didn't happen. What was I expecting? Sato didn't show any interest in Misaki in the last 3 episodes.

To be honest, I think the show should've ended at the fireworks festival with Sato choosing to take a chance at life in the outside world.
Nov 22, 2019 1:16 PM
Nov 2018
The series makes a lot more sense if they didn't omit that Satou is a alcoholic,schizophrenic and a junkie as I believe its the case in the novel and manga,his overall behavior could have been explained better by doing so...

But besides that this is my second rewatch and it still good,but not as great as I initially thought. I do believe the writing could have been better and the series is somewhat of a victim of its own success since its formula has been replicated quite a lot throughout the years *coughOyasumiPunpun (down on his luck MC encounters a girl out of the blue,meets up with other people that become his friends,related or non related events ensues that gradually progress his state of mind ,and a somewhat bitter-sweet resolution)

I did enjoy how it tackled various topics that are still quite prevalent in today's society:suicide under the pressure of various societal expectation,MMO addictions,pyramid schemes,a non romantic view of otaku culture... even if most of them were just briefly touched upon.
Just think that overall the series could have been a bit sharper with its dialogue.
Dec 18, 2019 1:05 PM

Jul 2019
this is surprisingly good. above my expectations
Dec 22, 2019 6:27 PM
Feb 2018
I really wanted Misaki and Satou to start dating, but with this ending I get the feeling they will for sure in the future (we have to imagine it :/) become a couple. I liked the fact that even though Satou has feelings for her, he seems to be patient, I mean, she's just a "kid" after all. Really enjoyed watching this show in the past four days. I didn't know such an anime existed!! Loved it.
Feb 2, 2020 12:04 PM

Dec 2018
a "meh" ending for a "meh" second half.
first half was great.
don't know how to feel about it yet.
Feb 4, 2020 3:18 PM

Mar 2016
Sato is actually giving Misaki an entity of which she can blame her misfortune on, the NHK, does not just stand for 1 meaning as each person has a different NHK they experience in their life, that fact symbolises problems as NHK, quite a neat way to do say that everyone has their own individual problems.

I knew Sato was going to save Misaki at all cost but didn't expect to yeet himself off the cliff to prove his point on defeating the source of all evil. Well, she now knows for sure not to ever try this ever again!

So then, Yamazaki is getting engaged, Hitomi-Senpai gave birth and is living in a mansion and Sato is progressing in his job. Well at least there's been some improvements, Sato, a former disciple, now currently is the master teaching Misaki the ways of avoiding suicide. Can you taste the humiliation Misaki? Ofc she does...

The ending ends in a great note with a bright hope for the future, Sato came into accepting that nobody, himself included will ever have any problems, sometimes they may even deny of being able to solve such problems, but now Sato marches onwards with his determination to keep going endlessly with his best. That change in Sato's personality made me teared up for real! To make it official, a mutual destruction agreement is signed. Just as nobody is willing to nuke each other, this time, nobody is willing to kill themselves if they care about one another. The agreement of Japan's hostage exchange association for Sato and Misaki

There are no kisses but that's okay, there are no 2 directional love confessions and that too is alright. There were hugs, although it's not mainly for a show of romantic love, this too is no problem. All I need is knowing the fact that Sato and Misaki are close enough to cuddle together during a dark, cold night AND them meeting together every night. Sooner or later, somewhere and somehow, I know an hope that they will be inseparable couples, bound by their promise of which will be necessary for each of their happiness. That in itself is beautiful...

NHK ni Youkoso!
Mar 25, 2020 7:54 AM

Oct 2013
The final episode was... meh. ;p I feel this anime had huge potential, yet ended up as something good, but not as good as it could be, unfortunately.

Happy, almost idealistic ending was something to be expected. Satou had a lot of luck to have that kind of people nearby when his mental problems reached their climax. Not everyone struggling with mental disorders have luxuries like that. Huge minus also for pushing that false words about cats that they keep forgetting people and stuff. Random and stupid phrases like that, with main character constantly repeating that he is a hikikomori even though he wasn't, quite worked unfavorably for this show.

Good to know that other characters also received happy endings.
AdnashMar 25, 2020 8:01 AM
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
Mar 29, 2020 9:21 PM

Nov 2019
9/10 I kinda appreciate this anime's meaning and message more than I like it
I've enjoyed series that I ranked lower than NHK a lot more but because of how raw and real this anime is I gotta give it a 9.
Apr 16, 2020 11:44 PM

Dec 2015
While none of the characters are particularly interesting, the show as a whole is something truly special. It's been a very very long time since I felt empty after an anime has ended, knowing I will never see the likes of it again. 10/10
Apr 21, 2020 10:22 PM

Jun 2014
Finished rewatching.
More satisfying ending than the manga.
The only bad about this show was the inconsistent animation. Also Sato and Misaki's relationships progression was kinda slow. Other than that everythings good the music, atmosphere and the 3 main cast were well written.
Apr 29, 2020 2:12 PM

Apr 2016
This is a truly awesome series, I did like it from the start to the end and I enjoyed every episode.
Jun 5, 2020 7:09 PM

Sep 2014
Decent final episode I guess. It was pretty good but it was very unsatisfying for me that they never actually delivered on the premise. I guess Satou did manage to develope at the very last moment, as seen with accepting his issues but not getting hold back by them.

But the previous episode really limited my enjoyment for the whole show. I liked the characters and plots for the most part but in the end the cure for satou was 1:1 a carbon copy of what happened to the other neet. And this suicide episode was also pretty much just a copy of the one we already had. I mean really "girl wants to suicide, satou talks her out of it, satou wants to commit suicide, it fails"

Idk Im disappointed in the end, I was very good while there was still the possibility it would have a better ending for Satous plot but now that its over it really feels dragged out artificially. If the plot just ends with "lol get a job" it didnt really need most of the side arcs.

Really everything turns out for the better in a pretty convenient way.
Yamazaki leaves his dream, independence and love behind but hey its fine. Farm life is now totally his thing and his arranged marriage wife is perfect. How convenient.
Senpai wanted to commit suicide because she didnt get the attention from her partner that she needs with her mental issues and the last time we saw her this didnt change at all, with him leaving her alone on near years eve for work again but hey its fine. Totally happy family now. How convenient.
Class rep gets left behind with debt and neet brother. But hey its fine, police investigation bailed you out and your neet brother suddenly solved his issues. Hoe convenient.
Class reps brother was in a worse state than even satou, completely depending on his sister and not leaving his room but hey its fine, he just got a job and his neet life is over. How convenient.
Copy paste satou getting a job and suddenly not having mental breakdowns while in the public. How convenient.
Misaki is a crazy stalker but hey she had a bad childhood so its cool.

And of course the plot doesnt even progress Misakis and Satous relationship. Now the power dynamic is just flipped.

The most interesting part of this anime was between Satou and his Senpai who has issues of her own.

And I guess having 2 suicide episodes in one anime makes it stand out.

I really wanted to love this show after sitting on my ptw for so long but the end just desillusioned me. 7/10

PS: I should probably clarify that I dont think its bad, in fact I think the characters are really well done and fit the plot. I just disagree with the message and think it could be way better.
Comander-07Jun 5, 2020 7:34 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 23, 2020 2:11 PM

Aug 2014
Very, very dissatisfied with this ending.

I truly believe that Misaki and Sato need help from a professional source, as together they create a toxic co-dependence. I never bought a romantic relationship between them in the first place, as for the first five or so episodes Misaki refers to Sato as "more worthless than garbage". How is it, then, that if Sato does not want to admit he is pathetic, he manages to fall for someone who truly believes him to be worthless?
As for the Misaki side of this relationship, she is not set up with any sort of romantic inclinations towards Sato. Rather, she is set up as a character taking pity on Sato and believing that she is worthy of "helping" him "fix" his situation. The episode where Sato's mother visits feels extremely jarring because of this. She goes from nagging him about how worthless he is to wanting to KISS him??? I felt like I had whiplash watching that episode.

The middle half of the show was extremely dull. I truly believe that the arc with Kobayashi/Class Rep was entirely pointless. Sato did not learn anything by seeing Kobayashi's brother. Rather, Sato continued to leech off of Misaki's "help", cling on to the hope that his video game would sell well, and rely on the money sent in by his parents. Nothing was gained from that arc aside from inflating the episode count of the show.

I have to call this one a miss for me. I enjoyed the show up until the aftermath of the OFF meeting, everything after that fell completely flat for me. Episodes 22 and 23 were also really interesting, but the payoff sure wasn't. If I were to rate the show at this point, it would be a 5/10 simply because I vehemently disagree with Sato and Misaki's relationship.

Jul 5, 2020 9:51 AM
Jan 2020
I already know that this anime has an annoying MC, but I keep strangely watching it until it runs out. :(
Aug 21, 2020 8:35 PM

Aug 2013
Criscosandwich said:

I truly believe that Misaki and Sato need help from a professional source, as together they create a toxic co-dependence. I never bought a romantic relationship between them in the first place, as for the first five or so episodes Misaki refers to Sato as "more worthless than garbage". How is it, then, that if Sato does not want to admit he is pathetic, he manages to fall for someone who truly believes him to be worthless?
As for the Misaki side of this relationship, she is not set up with any sort of romantic inclinations towards Sato. Rather, she is set up as a character taking pity on Sato and believing that she is worthy of "helping" him "fix" his situation. The episode where Sato's mother visits feels extremely jarring because of this. She goes from nagging him about how worthless he is to wanting to KISS him??? I felt like I had whiplash watching that episode... I vehemently disagree with Sato and Misaki's relationship.

holy shit THANK you. i'm completely dumbstruck by how many people were/are disappointed that these two didn't formally get together.

the show is practically SCREAMING at you in the last two episodes that Misaki is a super messed up, self-destructive, socially inept person. she thinks the only way she can justify her own existence is by playing god for someone else that she can look down on.

i just cannot believe that people saw the way Misaki reacted to Sato *recovering from his mental illness* and still wanted them to be together. Misaki literally tried to kill herself twice over when she saw Sato's life improving to the point where he could go out and have drinks/presumably have sex with his friend. She fully admitted that if Sato recovered to the point where he didn't need her "fixing" him with counseling, she would have no reason to live and would kill herself.

this is abuse. Misaki's relationship with Sato is abusive, even if they're not dating. i get that the vibe of the show is supposed to be "broken people helping each other survive," and that's how it felt in the first half really, but this ending ain't that.

it's funny, at the start of the show i kind of hated Sato and felt bad for Misaki, but now i feel totally the opposite. i think the ultimate happy end for Sato would've been if him and Misaki parted ways permanently, but he continued to fulfill himself at work, making new friends in coworkers and realizing that the battle against the NHK is lifelong but worth it. Misaki basically got her happy end, but at cost to Sato, which I think is pretty "Misaki" of her.

anyways, this anime's ending was actually a 10/10 because Best Boy Yamazaki is happy, and that's all that matters really
Sep 9, 2020 2:46 AM

Jul 2019
After reading the manga I really really want a sequel.don't like the anime end though :(
Oct 5, 2020 12:06 PM
Jun 2019
was a solid ending but also meh at the same time , i would've loved it if sato left misaki at ep 23 and then he finally grows as a character and finally realizes that he had been opening up to the world little by little and that was a brave thing to do for him knowing damn well it has the chance to ruin his life more and knowing opening up to things and starting new relationships has the chance to go in an unfavorable way for him and i want him to learn from all those past events like seeing his game project fail and seeing yamazaki leave him and many other more examples and then he can finally get out of his hikikomori state and avoid escapism and just accept reality as it is and moving on in life , that it is at least is my favorable ending but this is good enough i guess , overall i think ill give this series a solid 9/10 . it has a lot of good things that i probably dont need to mention if u have watched it because for me to express my love for this series will take me a long time lmao and i aint tryna be like sato
Oct 6, 2020 2:14 AM
Aug 2020
This anime especially the last few episodes really made me think about my own life. Here’s a little note I wrote to myself.
Yeah, I DO GET LONLEY. But we All get that way. Even whenever you’re around other people. I WILL NOT become someone who hates society. I will not become someone who hates. I won’t become the kinda person that thinks I’m better than everyone else. That’s NOT ME. I need to talk with the people I have issues with and if they do not understand where I am coming from then I will have to give them more time to figure it out. BUT I WILL ALWAYS ACCEPT A SINCERE APOLOGY FROM THE PEOPLE I CARE ABOUT. if they never figure it out then that’s just the way it will be. It is what it is. You have to live with people’s opinions even if you think they are wrong. You have to love, not hate. (10-06-20)
I liked the ending too! Very real, unlike most. You’re never gonna figure life out. We all have issues, you just have to muster the will to make it through. Honestly... all those mistakes, made me who I am today. And I maybe alone now. But, maybe someday I’ll find someone that I love. Probably not but I’m still gonna enjoy this life I never asked for. 10/10 anime!
MiazizichiOct 6, 2020 2:17 AM
Oct 17, 2020 3:39 PM

Apr 2012
Criscosandwich said:

As for the Misaki side of this relationship, she is not set up with any sort of romantic inclinations towards Sato. Rather, she is set up as a character taking pity on Sato and believing that she is worthy of "helping" him "fix" his situation. The episode where Sato's mother visits feels extremely jarring because of this. She goes from nagging him about how worthless he is to wanting to KISS him??? I felt like I had whiplash watching that episode.

The middle half of the show was extremely dull. I truly believe that the arc with Kobayashi/Class Rep was entirely pointless. Sato did not learn anything by seeing Kobayashi's brother. Rather, Sato continued to leech off of Misaki's "help", cling on to the hope that his video game would sell well, and rely on the money sent in by his parents. Nothing was gained from that arc aside from inflating the episode count of the show.

I have to call this one a miss for me. I enjoyed the show up until the aftermath of the OFF meeting, everything after that fell completely flat for me. Episodes 22 and 23 were also really interesting, but the payoff sure wasn't. If I were to rate the show at this point, it would be a 5/10 simply because I vehemently disagree with Sato and Misaki's relationship.

YEa the writing had problems, and satou became more of a "character with whom we can do whatever we want". So the writers used him to make their points. He just randomly forgets about Misaki at random points in the story, gets fooled into pyramid scheme knowingly, gets peer pressured into suicide. In the first few episodes, he is clearly infaturated with misaki. But then he completely forgets it, like it never happened.
Oct 21, 2020 2:11 PM

Dec 2019
I just finished watching this. Read the novel first over the course of last month, and, while I do have some hang-ups about the anime, I think it's a fantastic adaptation for the most part.
It's understandable why many of you have reservations about the anime's ending. There are a lot of factors in the anime that take away some of the ending's impact, especially when comparing it to the novel's ending. One major issue, in this regard, is the amount of spectacle that's actually in the anime. The novel is extremely reserved and down to earth, and there's really nothing in the way of cinematic drama up until the climax, which makes the cliff scene much more impactful. While the novel is mostly a string of minute situations, it builds up to the cliff scene over the course of the entire story. That scene really the only moment in the novel you could imagine being in a standard drama story, and Satou even comments at one point that his dialogue with Misaki is extremely Shoujo-esque.

Conversely, the anime fills a big portion of its runtime with cinematic storylines like the suicide pact in Episode 12 / 13 (which is arguably more tense than the finale), the festival in Episode 9, and the five-episode RMT arc. I enjoyed all of these, but their inclusion, coupled with numerous other changes in the anime, left a lack of buildup for the cliff scene. The revolution bomb subplot as a whole isn't present in the anime, despite being the biggest source of foreshadowing towards the ending in the novel.

Additionally, I found the cliff scene to go by too quickly in the anime. It's understandable why this is, as they only have so much time to dedicate to it before getting to the epilogue, but, in shortening this scene, they take away from some really important Misaki character development, along with a large portion of Satou's reasoning towards his decision to dive off the cliff. The scene could've benefitted hugely from being longer.
Despite these criticisms, though, I think the music / animation / voice acting were on point, and that the studio did the best the could given what they had to work with. Shame they couldn't fit that box cutter / bottle cut parallel in, though.

The epilogue itself is controversial, and for good reason. Had the anime just adapted the novel 1:1, it probably wouldn't have needed to be longer than 12 episodes. By going a different route and developing everything differently over the course of 24 episodes, however, the viewer is given much more time to get invested into certain characters. Misaki and Satou's relationship in particular is much more developed in the anime than in the novel, and their romance, which was pretty minimal in the novel, is far more played up in the adaptation. It's hard not to root for them getting together, even if you think their relationship is unhealthy.
Because of this, the lack of a solid "and they lived happily ever after..." ending in the anime comes as a disappointment to many, and understandably so. Personally, even though I loved the novel's ending, which is far vaguer and less conclusive than the anime's, I still found myself wishing the anime had something more to its epilogue. It's not that I wanted them to PDA on screen (though seeing them kiss would've been really heartwarming); it's more-so that their relationship in the end feels superficial.
While the novel's epilogue lingers very little on Misaki and Satou's relationship, the manner in which it ends gives much more focus to the question of "How will life continue from here?". The anime keeps some of that message, but by spending the greater part of the runtime indulging heavily in developing Misaki and Satou as a pair, the final thought for many fans, including myself, seems to have shifted to "How will Misaki and Satou's life continue from here?". Because of this, I highly doubt anything short of fully cataloguing the rest of their lives would've been satisfying for any viewer who found themselves seriously invested in the pairing.

Though the anime wrapped up in a nice and neat way, and the need for a closing hug / kiss was unnecessary, there's simply too much hunger for more scenes of them together to realistically end the series in a satisfying way. If the studio had simply chosen to copy the novel's ending, then there would've undoubtedly been more outrage, because the focal points between the two stories are different. The novel focuses on the topic of adjusting to life, and its ending, while not conclusive, leaves blanks that you can fill in whatever way you choose without yearning to know more. This part of the story takes a backseat in its adaptation.
The anime adaptation spends much more time than the novel does on developing interpersonal relationships, its focal point then becomes the most major relationship in the story, and the blanks that the ending leaves come off as unsatisfying because most viewers want to see more from the main character's relationship.
Whether this is a testament to how fantastically their relationship is developed, or an example of how over-focus on a pairing can lead many viewers to missing the point of the story, is a matter of opinion. And it is my opinion that "Welcome to the NHK" is a beautiful story, both the novel and the anime, and that the anime's ending, for all its faults, is still a great way to cap off the series.

My final wish is that the novel get re-released with a better translation, because the one I read had an insane number of typos and it came off as very amateur.
bedheadOct 21, 2020 2:17 PM
Jan 8, 2021 7:00 PM

Jan 2017
SquishyPies said:
Criscosandwich said:

As for the Misaki side of this relationship, she is not set up with any sort of romantic inclinations towards Sato. Rather, she is set up as a character taking pity on Sato and believing that she is worthy of "helping" him "fix" his situation. The episode where Sato's mother visits feels extremely jarring because of this. She goes from nagging him about how worthless he is to wanting to KISS him??? I felt like I had whiplash watching that episode... I vehemently disagree with Sato and Misaki's relationship.

holy shit THANK you. i'm completely dumbstruck by how many people were/are disappointed that these two didn't formally get together.

the show is practically SCREAMING at you in the last two episodes that Misaki is a super messed up, self-destructive, socially inept person. she thinks the only way she can justify her own existence is by playing god for someone else that she can look down on.

i just cannot believe that people saw the way Misaki reacted to Sato *recovering from his mental illness* and still wanted them to be together. Misaki literally tried to kill herself twice over when she saw Sato's life improving to the point where he could go out and have drinks/presumably have sex with his friend. She fully admitted that if Sato recovered to the point where he didn't need her "fixing" him with counseling, she would have no reason to live and would kill herself.

this is abuse. Misaki's relationship with Sato is abusive, even if they're not dating. i get that the vibe of the show is supposed to be "broken people helping each other survive," and that's how it felt in the first half really, but this ending ain't that.

it's funny, at the start of the show i kind of hated Sato and felt bad for Misaki, but now i feel totally the opposite. i think the ultimate happy end for Sato would've been if him and Misaki parted ways permanently, but he continued to fulfill himself at work, making new friends in coworkers and realizing that the battle against the NHK is lifelong but worth it. Misaki basically got her happy end, but at cost to Sato, which I think is pretty "Misaki" of her.

anyways, this anime's ending was actually a 10/10 because Best Boy Yamazaki is happy, and that's all that matters really

t h a n k s so much to both of you, you really put my feelings into words. been scanning the forum replies for minutes searching for people who thought the same. just can't ignore the fact that their relationship reeks of abusive (co-)dependent behavior
okwhynotJan 8, 2021 7:47 PM
Jan 26, 2021 5:40 AM
Apr 2020
This really us a great anime, I must say. It really changes my perspective of how life works for me. .

Good job, Yamazaki for saving Misaki. I thought you will be a wimp till the end but oh well, he's gone from a wimp boy to a best boy in the end. And he realize that he likes her, so I'm satisfied with the ending.

9/10 overall for this. Don't hesitate this to watch if you're not watching it yet. Don't mind the animation and the quality of the anime. Just watch it. I promise, you'll learn something very important from this anime, besides from this anime being an enjoyable and worthwhile :)
Jan 27, 2021 6:15 AM

Dec 2020
Quite the grounded anime. Appreciate that it doubled down on the theme of moving forward.

Kinda wanted more at least a direction or hope for what the future entailed.

8/10 - binged it!

"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out If I'm really alive."
Feb 1, 2021 7:49 AM
Captain

Jun 2014
bedhead said:
I just finished watching this. Read the novel first over the course of last month, and, while I do have some hang-ups about the anime, I think it's a fantastic adaptation for the most part.
It's understandable why many of you have reservations about the anime's ending. There are a lot of factors in the anime that take away some of the ending's impact, especially when comparing it to the novel's ending. One major issue, in this regard, is the amount of spectacle that's actually in the anime. The novel is extremely reserved and down to earth, and there's really nothing in the way of cinematic drama up until the climax, which makes the cliff scene much more impactful. While the novel is mostly a string of minute situations, it builds up to the cliff scene over the course of the entire story. That scene really the only moment in the novel you could imagine being in a standard drama story, and Satou even comments at one point that his dialogue with Misaki is extremely Shoujo-esque.

Conversely, the anime fills a big portion of its runtime with cinematic storylines like the suicide pact in Episode 12 / 13 (which is arguably more tense than the finale), the festival in Episode 9, and the five-episode RMT arc. I enjoyed all of these, but their inclusion, coupled with numerous other changes in the anime, left a lack of buildup for the cliff scene. The revolution bomb subplot as a whole isn't present in the anime, despite being the biggest source of foreshadowing towards the ending in the novel.

Additionally, I found the cliff scene to go by too quickly in the anime. It's understandable why this is, as they only have so much time to dedicate to it before getting to the epilogue, but, in shortening this scene, they take away from some really important Misaki character development, along with a large portion of Satou's reasoning towards his decision to dive off the cliff. The scene could've benefitted hugely from being longer.
Despite these criticisms, though, I think the music / animation / voice acting were on point, and that the studio did the best the could given what they had to work with. Shame they couldn't fit that box cutter / bottle cut parallel in, though.

The epilogue itself is controversial, and for good reason. Had the anime just adapted the novel 1:1, it probably wouldn't have needed to be longer than 12 episodes. By going a different route and developing everything differently over the course of 24 episodes, however, the viewer is given much more time to get invested into certain characters. Misaki and Satou's relationship in particular is much more developed in the anime than in the novel, and their romance, which was pretty minimal in the novel, is far more played up in the adaptation. It's hard not to root for them getting together, even if you think their relationship is unhealthy.
Because of this, the lack of a solid "and they lived happily ever after..." ending in the anime comes as a disappointment to many, and understandably so. Personally, even though I loved the novel's ending, which is far vaguer and less conclusive than the anime's, I still found myself wishing the anime had something more to its epilogue. It's not that I wanted them to PDA on screen (though seeing them kiss would've been really heartwarming); it's more-so that their relationship in the end feels superficial.
While the novel's epilogue lingers very little on Misaki and Satou's relationship, the manner in which it ends gives much more focus to the question of "How will life continue from here?". The anime keeps some of that message, but by spending the greater part of the runtime indulging heavily in developing Misaki and Satou as a pair, the final thought for many fans, including myself, seems to have shifted to "How will Misaki and Satou's life continue from here?". Because of this, I highly doubt anything short of fully cataloguing the rest of their lives would've been satisfying for any viewer who found themselves seriously invested in the pairing.

Though the anime wrapped up in a nice and neat way, and the need for a closing hug / kiss was unnecessary, there's simply too much hunger for more scenes of them together to realistically end the series in a satisfying way. If the studio had simply chosen to copy the novel's ending, then there would've undoubtedly been more outrage, because the focal points between the two stories are different. The novel focuses on the topic of adjusting to life, and its ending, while not conclusive, leaves blanks that you can fill in whatever way you choose without yearning to know more. This part of the story takes a backseat in its adaptation.
The anime adaptation spends much more time than the novel does on developing interpersonal relationships, its focal point then becomes the most major relationship in the story, and the blanks that the ending leaves come off as unsatisfying because most viewers want to see more from the main character's relationship.
Whether this is a testament to how fantastically their relationship is developed, or an example of how over-focus on a pairing can lead many viewers to missing the point of the story, is a matter of opinion. And it is my opinion that "Welcome to the NHK" is a beautiful story, both the novel and the anime, and that the anime's ending, for all its faults, is still a great way to cap off the series.

My final wish is that the novel get re-released with a better translation, because the one I read had an insane number of typos and it came off as very amateur.

Thank you so much for your post, it's very clarifying about the differences between the novel and the anime (and their endings), and respond to me why we didn't watched at least a kiss between Satou and Misaki.
Mar 21, 2021 2:42 AM

Aug 2020
Wow Yamazaki boasted about getting married and Hitomi bragging about her child and mansion. What has Tatsuhiro got to brag? Many would say Misaki-chan but that is not official yet. Poor Tatsuhiro.
Anime List: Click here
Manga List: Click here

Mar 30, 2021 6:54 AM

Mar 2020
Well, this ending was extremely disappointing. I was a little sceptical about how they'd be able to flesh out a 22-minute episode, but it seems that the production team were about as confident in where to take it as I was.

I find it funny that people are saying that this episode was the right amount of melancholy when it really wasn't. Maybe it's just culture shock, but having Sato shouting at the top of his lungs about his autistic NHK conspiracy theory pretty much killed any dramatic tension the rest of the episode had. Don't even get me started on how inappropriate the soundtrack was. It completely massacred my already waning interest in this show.

This show is complex in premise, but not so much in execution. Welcome to the NHK seems like it's setting the stage for something that will supersede it. It lacks the confidence to really discuss anything substantive, and when it does it's few and far between. A majority of the anime was dedicated to exploring how impulsive and easily-manipulated Sato was to the point where pretty significant developments (such as Sato getting a job) were relegated to the background.

I'm quite critical of this anime, but only because I thought it had great potential. It seems that anime studios have since acknowledged that it's much easier to pander to the otaku crowd than to try and challenge them in any way, which is sad. I don't think I'll ever look at a moe hikikomori SoL girl the same way ever again. 5/10 from me as while it wastes most of its time, it occasionally has some spectacular moments that make the series kinda, sorta worth watching.
Apr 10, 2021 5:40 AM

Aug 2014
I do wish this episode had laid off the craziness and just be a serious episode from start to finish.

But whether you like this anime or not, NHK handled it issues by FACING THEM. Props to them on that.  Truly a unique anime.

oooo3333Mar 8, 2023 6:43 AM
Apr 11, 2021 7:28 PM

Aug 2018
Man my mind is so fucked right now. I feel like I should be crying, but I cant bring myself to do it. Such a sad anime. I would normally rate this an 8 or a 9 because it is very good, however, since it had such an effect on my emotions this definitely deserves a 10.
This anime is just so beautiful and sad.

Apr 16, 2021 2:16 PM

May 2020
What a rollercoaster ride for an anime. From Funny to Annoying and Sadness .
And why the fuck is Satou is trying to jump is there no limit how dump he could be. Poor Misaki but seems this NHK nonesense make she feels better about herself im Happy :D

πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ…ΈπŸ†…πŸ…΄πŸ†πŸ…ΈπŸ…΄πŸ†‚

“Spring will be here soon.
Spring, the season I met you, is coming.
A spring without you...
...is coming.”
― Kosei Arima

Apr 17, 2021 5:32 PM
Jun 2011
It was a difficult watch for all the right reasons. I have been meaning to watch for a long time and I wish I'd have watched sooner.

A flawed masterpiece for sure (what's with the animation in ep 19 for example?). BGM was particularly great.

I feel like I will be reflecting on this anime for a few days before I get my head around it fully.
Apr 27, 2021 2:53 PM

Jun 2015
A double plot armour suicide attempt is in action; knowing that a character is attempting suicide is enough; creating a false sense of danger by having them jump then survive is cheap and wastes screentime.

Weak plot, character-driven but uninteresting characters, slow pacing, and a lot of plot convenience.

Overrated anime that succeeded in making me feel like a failure for wasting my time watching it.
May 3, 2021 2:12 PM

Nov 2008
What a beautiful show, with a powerful message. It depicts the harshness of life and the strength needed to keep on living.
May 13, 2021 7:55 AM
Mar 2021
You can hate me for this, but the ending was BAD! Actually, the last episode was not the only bad one, the 3 previous episodes were bad as well. Look I'm mad right now because this anime was something I deeply admired and loved, but these last four episodes were disappointing, because, I don't know, the creators had run out of content!

We were on the Misaki arc for three constant episodes in a series where each character, gets two constant episodes at most, and of course, those episodes always progress and don't get themselves in a terrible loop. But the last four episodes followed something that could've been concluded just in one single episode.

And not only that, but also what the hell was wrong with this ending? I just can't understand. Look at the first posts in this discussion from 2006. Those people were mad as well because the ending was incomplete and vague. It didn't really carve its message into my mind, because probably, someone had reminded the director guy that it was the last episode and they couldn't afford to waste more time on this Misaki arc. I don't care if the main characters broke up or whatever -I really enjoyed 5cmps btw- but this was frustrating. They didn't NAIL anything. Ok, you haven't solved your problems, so what? What should I do now? You sign a contract and then go back to your daily life and whatsoever?

Whoever you are, if you are going to make an anime, and even if it's more realistic than Welcome To N.H.K. please DO consider that people DO care about your characters and NEVER NEVER EVER want them to end up with such an incomplete ending. I just had to check Reddit to remember what was the message they wanted to send. They totally forgot what this anime was about (just like when Sato found Mia in that online game and soon enough forgot the main reason he was playing that game for) and focused and the relationship between Sato and Misaki, and even that didn't help anything because they left us with a vague and unconcluded relationship. And yes, I'm worked up.
MohirezaMay 13, 2021 8:16 AM
May 15, 2021 11:37 AM
Feb 2021
Yeah, it's over. And I think it was a great anime. I loved it.
Jun 17, 2021 11:34 AM

Jun 2019
My 55th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jun 18, 2021 6:08 AM
Mar 2021
I'm glad I watched this anime in my life. 10/10 MASTERPIECE
Jun 18, 2021 5:22 PM
May 2019
A beautiful show with a good and powerful message for everyone !
Satisfying ending at least for me .
7/10
Jun 21, 2021 7:47 AM

Nov 2020
A great series. I don't understand why are people dissatisfied with the end. The anime was Extremely Realistic from the start to finish. So something like kissing between Satou and Misaki in a matter of someday is out of question. Satou was a NEET and a shy guy. The ending scene confirmed that they are going to live together forever and ever and its good enough. An open end is not bad. 9/10

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Jul 23, 2021 6:25 PM
Dec 2017
can't wait to see the sequel of this soon.

Dec 3, 2021 10:07 PM
Oct 2016
I'm very disappointed in the ending. I was hoping some closure like Sato finally starts dating Misaki. At least they're still together and doing fine.
cooroxdDec 3, 2021 10:14 PM
Dec 21, 2021 8:46 PM

Mar 2013
Well, I didn't get to see Misaki and Tatsu having a kiss scene (I doubt they will ever have one), such sad fate that there's no romance in this but I quite enjoyed it though. It was quite entertaining and I have learned many things in many aspect watching this series.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 26, 2021 11:23 AM
Dec 2021
fantastic anime this is. It was really interesting! Greninja!
Jan 9, 2022 2:34 AM
Feb 2021
Masterpiece
4:32pm 1/9/22
Feb 21, 2022 11:17 PM
Jan 2017
Great anime, shitty ending.
Why was Satou teaching her maths and not about improving social life or having healthy social relationships? It's clear that Misaki also needs him but according to the ending they are not working on their problems anymore nor are they talking about their relationship.

I know Satou isn't good with words but I really hoped for at least SOME character development in the end.

You have Satou losing everything but overcoming his lifestyle and Misaki losing Satou (her emotional support) and they just dont manage to come to a good conclusion in my opinion.
Nothing changed, Misaki is still not needed anymore and Satou still hates his life.

The complete second half was pretty messy and its a shame that such a good anime ends like this.
Mar 5, 2022 11:47 AM

Aug 2013
This was very underwhelming.
I'm not sure what made people praise this so highly other than relating it to some problems they may have faced in reality but it doesn't justify it at all. This was bad and unenjoyable.
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Mar 25, 2022 1:26 PM
Aug 2021
I didn't expect it to be Misaki's mom who committed suicide:'(
It was rather depressing in the first half with her story being revealed(it was exactly what I had expected) and then it takes a totally wild turn with Satou's imaginary fight with "god". I couldn't help but laugh at the part where he fell on the net. Well they clearly can't live without each other.
The scene with them in the abandoned house was pretty cute:)
I give this one an 8.5. It was a pretty satisfying ending. My only problem is that there wasn't enough focus on Sato in this show. It sidetracked a bunch of times in the middle with the other arcs.
Pages (14) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Hikikomori/NEET

tsubagakure - Sep 8

12 by ShyBD »»
Yesterday, 3:56 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

325 by MishterMann17 »»
Sep 15, 11:42 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Feb 6, 2008

220 by peykov »»
Sep 2, 11:56 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

kie_ - Sep 5, 2008

188 by AngelFlash »»
Sep 2, 1:08 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

kie_ - Sep 5, 2008

170 by IzanaSolos »»
Aug 23, 10:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.