Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
Look at Kurumi, putting her powers to work already this season. Also, I'm glad to see all the familar cast as well.

According to the Kurumi clone, Shido is targeted and is warned about being killed. This definitely felt like a buildup episode for rest of the season. Glad they got right into business without recapping BS. Kurumi still remains my favorite in the show with her personality: "shall we begin our date"

I'm ready for this season.
Apr 10, 8:00 AM

May 2020
Exactly two years after that fourth season, with the same studio and with the same bright as high colour palette. Though I do remember the last season, or more precisely, the latter parts of the last season were of Kurumi’s, which kind of made that one a decent thing in the end, but hey, this one… this season, we’re starting right off the bat with those volumes highlighting the best-est girl, Kurumi.

I mean the regular jokes are still there, so is the army of girls surrounding the very commander, the harem lord, Shido-sama. Though we know, after whatever happened last season, we’ve taken quite a serious turn, with Shido’s past… the past which even he isn’t aware of, and though he might have tried to take a peek, but to no avail, that’s still a tad early. We’ll get to know things, or more like everything in due time, I mean after the YEARS OF BUILD-UP, the conclusion at the very least, won’t disappoint.

Westcott has been a part of this series for god knows how many seasons or years, but then again, you always see him with the same sense of expressions and with the same set of schemes every new season lol. Anyways, a very typical start for this series. Looking forward to the Kurumi stuff we’ll get in the coming episodes.
Apr 10, 8:00 AM

Jul 2017
Novelist Koushi Tachibana's Date A Live series has lasted up to Season 5, coming back after 2 years and continuing into Volume 17 of the LN: Kurumi's Ragnarok.

I'm believing that this is NOT the final season yet, there's still a reminder of 6 LN volumes to go through to necessitate a Season 6, the TRUE final season.

Kurumi is in absolute crisis trying to save her friend, but to do that, she needs Shido's Spirit of Origin to help her out. Moreover, there's one more Spirit in the form of Mio Takamiya, she could very well be the Phantom that the others have decoded. And to do that, using Michael to unlock Shido's shrouded memories, it certainly worked...to the detriment of Origami faking it for a Sleeping Beauty kiss. And with those memories, Shido was certain that he saw someone, but trying on Mana would help too, but it definitely took a strain on him for using Michael. On the other hand, DEM getting thwarted by Kurumi's Zaphkiel attacks is a sure-fire way of burning her powers through, though their goal has not changed to eliminate Shido.

Kurumi's clone informing the news that the OG Kurumi will try all she can to bring a future where Shido survives, that's an awful lot of work, but when all is said and done, he will come to rescue Kurumi too, and give her his kiss. Even Woodman chimes in on the fact that defeating Isaac Westcott and Ellen Mathers is key to DEM's downfall, aside from Nibelcolle giving them help, Shido and the gang really need all the help they can get. Even getting Origami's group in this feel contrived, but they're essentially blocked out on all corners. War is nothing but inevitable against DEM Industries.

Once again, sweet ARMS is designated to the ED, which this time, the song is actually good.
Hopefully the remainder will stick its guns for one epic battle.
Apr 10, 8:01 AM
Aug 2022
We got see the War Date, Kurumi San she still looks beautiful 😆
Apr 10, 8:06 AM
Nov 2017
Bruh, I already had some suspicion on who the new mystery girl is based off what they did in this episode, but did they just straight-up spoil it in the ending???
YuushaNiApr 10, 8:11 AM
Apr 10, 8:06 AM

Dec 2021
DAL is back for round 5, the final round, and I guess it seems that after so many seasons of being passed around studio to studio, Geek Toys is here to stay... thankfully

As Kotori Itsuka and Tohka Yatogami gathered on the bridge of the Fraxinus airborne warship, they felt anxious because they had lost track of Shidou Itsuka after he disappeared with Kurumi Tokisaki. They were then informed that Kurumi had traveled back in time 204 times to save Shidou. Known as the Worst Spirit, Kurumi continuously turns back time to save Shidou from his destined demise, overturning the world. Additionally, Shidou attempts to explore his own memories to uncover who exactly Mio Takamiya is, who shares the same surname as both Shidou and Mana and is also suspected to be a Phantom.

I still find it hard to fathom that the first season of this show came out well over a decade ago. In due time, the second season will also be a decade old ass well. Time flies, though all things must come to an end. Finally, this is the conclusion. I must say, though, that this two-year gap between seasons 4 and 5 is the worst decision. It's obviously good for the production (because the behind-the-scenes production is the worst it's ever been for this show), but bad for me, at least, because I barely remember whatever happened last season. Best girl Kurumi got her time to shine, and she is still shining in this season, or at least in this episode. And something about some Mio girl... I would've been better off without this fifth season, but I'm glad that we'll at the very least see this end after a decade of this show.

You can really feel it though. This is really the beginning of the end of this decade-long journey.

A rather decent start, as per usual DAL fashion. However, the fact that this is the final season raises concerns pacing wise. Considering the behind-the-scenes production issues with this season, there's no surprise that this is the final season. Things will likely be rushed, no doubt about it

Apr 10, 8:14 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to IzanaSolos
DAL is back for round 5, the final round, and I guess it seems that after so many seasons of being passed around studio to studio, Geek Toys is here to stay... thankfully

As Kotori Itsuka and Tohka Yatogami gathered on the bridge of the Fraxinus airborne warship, they felt anxious because they had lost track of Shidou Itsuka after he disappeared with Kurumi Tokisaki. They were then informed that Kurumi had traveled back in time 204 times to save Shidou. Known as the Worst Spirit, Kurumi continuously turns back time to save Shidou from his destined demise, overturning the world. Additionally, Shidou attempts to explore his own memories to uncover who exactly Mio Takamiya is, who shares the same surname as both Shidou and Mana and is also suspected to be a Phantom.

I still find it hard to fathom that the first season of this show came out well over a decade ago. In due time, the second season will also be a decade old ass well. Time flies, though all things must come to an end. Finally, this is the conclusion. I must say, though, that this two-year gap between seasons 4 and 5 is the worst decision. It's obviously good for the production (because the behind-the-scenes production is the worst it's ever been for this show), but bad for me, at least, because I barely remember whatever happened last season. Best girl Kurumi got her time to shine, and she is still shining in this season, or at least in this episode. And something about some Mio girl... I would've been better off without this fifth season, but I'm glad that we'll at the very least see this end after a decade of this show.

You can really feel it though. This is really the beginning of the end of this decade-long journey.

A rather decent start, as per usual DAL fashion. However, the fact that this is the final season raises concerns pacing wise. Considering the behind-the-scenes production issues with this season, there's no surprise that this is the final season. Things will likely be rushed, no doubt about it
@IzanaSolos https://www.bilibili.com/read/cv33573733/

Full article. They are being 100% transparent.. They can adapt the finale but probably won't be able to adapt thr epilogue. Kadokawa is notorious for mishandling stuff. Overlord is getting rushed. Index basically died.

Haven't watched the episode yet. Will have to wait till evening. Dal was so close to a full adaptation
Apr 10, 8:34 AM

Mar 2015
I need Reine so bad
Apr 10, 8:35 AM
May 2021
"Shall we begin our date" hyped me up! Kurumi is really the main charm of the show. The episode literally felt like 5 minutes. Awesome start
Apr 10, 8:36 AM

May 2020
Finally!!!

MY WAIFU IS BACK!!!

Westcott really want my waifu to become Homura huh!!!

ILL NEVER FORGIVE HIM!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Apr 10, 8:37 AM
May 2021
KANLen09 said:
Novelist Koushi Tachibana's Date A Live series has lasted up to Season 5, coming back after 2 years and continuing into Volume 17 of the LN: Kurumi's Ragnarok.

I'm believing that this is NOT the final season yet, there's still a reminder of 6 LN volumes to go through to necessitate a Season 6, the TRUE final season.

Kurumi is in absolute crisis trying to save her friend, but to do that, she needs Shido's Spirit of Origin to help her out. Moreover, there's one more Spirit in the form of Mio Takamiya, she could very well be the Phantom that the others have decoded. And to do that, using Michael to unlock Shido's shrouded memories, it certainly worked...to the detriment of Origami faking it for a Sleeping Beauty kiss. And with those memories, Shido was certain that he saw someone, but trying on Mana would help too, but it definitely took a strain on him for using Michael. On the other hand, DEM getting thwarted by Kurumi's Zaphkiel attacks is a sure-fire way of burning her powers through, though their goal has not changed to eliminate Shido.

Kurumi's clone informing the news that the OG Kurumi will try all she can to bring a future where Shido survives, that's an awful lot of work, but when all is said and done, he will come to rescue Kurumi too, and give her his kiss. Even Woodman chimes in on the fact that defeating Isaac Westcott and Ellen Mathers is key to DEM's downfall, aside from Nibelcolle giving them help, Shido and the gang really need all the help they can get. Even getting Origami's group in this feel contrived, but they're essentially blocked out on all corners. War is nothing but inevitable against DEM Industries.

Once again, sweet ARMS is designated to the ED, which this time, the song is actually good.

S4 ed theme was 100 times better lol. Gonna skip this S5 ed from next episode
Apr 10, 8:50 AM
Dec 2014
Fantastic start to the season, and they paced the episode out so well too
Apr 10, 8:54 AM

Feb 2021
The sub released much earlier than I expected wtf. Literally the same time as the episode started on Japanese TV.

One of my most anticipated anime this season. Last season's ending was pretty insane. And today's also Tohka's birthday, nice.

Nice episode. I know this is gonna be good (I heard we'll be getting a lot of Kurumi this season after all), but ngl I need a recap or something lol. What does DEM want to do anyway?
EmbientApr 10, 9:06 AM
Apr 10, 8:59 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to Apratim
KANLen09 said:

S4 ed theme was 100 times better lol. Gonna skip this S5 ed from next episode
@Apratim Nahh I think this one fits with the tone of the season.
Apr 10, 9:02 AM

Jul 2016
It's been a hot minute since I've watched anything DAL related but seeing a Kurumi clone instantly reminded me of that one sad mock wedding OVA. Might not be the same clone but conflict between Kurumis is always fun.

And wow it's weirdly comforting that Origami is still her same old thirsty yet nevertheless badass self.
Apr 10, 9:02 AM

Dec 2010
This episode continues right after the last season with EDM killing Shido and Kurumi repeating time each time Shido dies.

Finally we arrive at the last arc and all the revelations will soon be revealed.

Also good ED, even if it's spoilers
Apr 10, 9:03 AM
Jul 2023
Ah, the harem is back.

A great episode, brief explanation on what happened before and setting up what to come.
Apr 10, 9:17 AM

Jun 2023
Date A Live Season 5!
Well I started watching from S1 a month ago and finished S4 yesterday, so I'm into the story, S4 leads directly into S5.

Still, I'm not used to the Studio Geek Toys Character designs, they somehow make everything look like from a child series.
But I'm looking forward to Best Girl Kurumi, she takes centre stage! Let's see what kind of war this will be, and what Kurumi has in mind when she said "shall we begin our date".

Btw, will S5 be the last season??
Apr 10, 9:19 AM

Jan 2023
A very decent first episode for this new season which begins at the exact moment the previous season ended.

Some persistent mystery about Shido's past, some comedy, but mostly an episode centered on Kurumi which readies herself for battle to save her Shido (hope she admits her feelings for him more openly soon).
It's easy watching this episode to remember why she is the most popular character of the franchise, she's always a lot of fun but also carries something very heavy, and it is clear at this point that she is one of the most important characters of the story plot-wise.

Looking forward to next week.
Apr 10, 9:29 AM
Oct 2023
excellent episode and very faithful to the original work! lots of tension, interspersed with humor

very good ending, and visually it's really beautiful. The cgi is almost invisible.

clearly the best season ahead , it's a peak dal !
Apr 10, 9:30 AM
Jan 2019
Let the end begin...
Apr 10, 9:39 AM

Oct 2017
Finally back after two years and we are already diving into things right from the get go.

Loled at when the camera suspiciously focused on Reine when Mio Takamiya was mentioned. So even using Michael wasn't enough to unveil Shido's past. More Kurumi always great and we are already in for a big fight. So ready for volume 19!
MegamiRemApr 20, 11:05 AM
Apr 10, 9:57 AM

May 2018
I hoped this season would finally have a good pace, but it's not going to happen. Not everything will be adapted yet, but they will grind 4 volumes again... 2 of them being very dense.
And they cut the most important part, which were the flashbacks showing the origin of Dem and Mio...
Yeah, a bad adaptation, as expected
Apr 10, 10:15 AM

Mar 2017
Watashitachi no Date Hajimemashou❤️🖤 (🔛🔝)
Feel pain, think about pain, accept pain, know pain... Shinra Tensei!
Apr 10, 10:17 AM
Sep 2023
My honey kurumi ❤️❤️❤️
Apr 10, 10:18 AM
Sep 2023
This is gonna be insane 🥶🥶🥶
Apr 10, 10:18 AM
Sep 2023
Happy to see this season will focus greatly on kurumi ❤️❤️
Apr 10, 10:32 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to MaouHero
I hoped this season would finally have a good pace, but it's not going to happen. Not everything will be adapted yet, but they will grind 4 volumes again... 2 of them being very dense.
And they cut the most important part, which were the flashbacks showing the origin of Dem and Mio...
@MaouHero

the origin of dem and Mio will be shown later, they already did it like this for the kurumi arc in season iv.

On the contrary, the pace was excellent and 95% faithful to the light novel. A little rushed, but much better than season 4. And the designs are good too

this episode is a 9/10 honestly
Apr 10, 10:41 AM
Jun 2023
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa, very, very excited for the next episode
Apr 10, 10:51 AM

May 2023
Ooh Kurumi you made me fall in love again "Shall we begin our date" really makes me excited for this season!
Apr 10, 10:59 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to MaouHero
@MaouHero read my article. No point in trying to drag the series at this point. Light novel ended 4 years ago. Manga ended over 10 years ago. Series is super old. Fanbase are pretty much working adults now.

It is way too expensive to go any slower and will reduce audience reception. Japan is in financial trouble.
Apr 10, 11:09 AM

May 2018
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
@MaouHero read my article. No point in trying to drag the series at this point. Light novel ended 4 years ago. Manga ended over 10 years ago. Series is super old. Fanbase are pretty much working adults now.

It is way too expensive to go any slower and will reduce audience reception. Japan is in financial trouble.
@SpiderMiles3523 Date a Live is a very stable series. If that were the problem, they would have ended it all by now, or there wouldn't have been S4 at all.
There's a gacha game that seems to do really well in Japan and China. And even the last VN will be released in English for PS and Switch.
This clearly shows the demand for the show. The horrible adaptation is not exclusive to DaL, almost every Kadokawa show is like this.
Apr 10, 11:27 AM

Nov 2017
ok, it's finally here, kinda weird their started the season from the Last Arc, since in the original LN they started from Takamiya Mio Past, i think the Producer want to make Mio Past to be special huh, excited for the next episode !!!
Apr 10, 12:33 PM

Feb 2019
Glad to have Date a Live back and they wasted no time putting us back in the thick of things, picking up right where last season ended.

All the usual banter and harem antics, plus a nice Kurumi themed episode as she prepares for the coming war. I kinda hated on her until season 4’s last arc, but I really have enjoyed the characterisation they’ve given her and gained a lot of respect for this battle she’s been fighting on her own all these loops.

We also got some more hints as to Shido’s past, but it still largely remains a mystery. After over a decade of watching this franchise I’m very much looking forward to seeing that finally explained in this season and the final battle. Taking on Isaac and Ellen won’t be easy even with all the spirits and abilities.

It’s good that the series has finally got a consistent studio too, switching studios every season prior really did a number on it.
Marinate1016Apr 10, 12:40 PM
Apr 10, 1:00 PM
Oct 2023
Is this going to be last season?
Apr 10, 1:10 PM
Aug 2021
Reply to Embient
The sub released much earlier than I expected wtf. Literally the same time as the episode started on Japanese TV.

One of my most anticipated anime this season. Last season's ending was pretty insane. And today's also Tohka's birthday, nice.

Nice episode. I know this is gonna be good (I heard we'll be getting a lot of Kurumi this season after all), but ngl I need a recap or something lol. What does DEM want to do anyway?
@Embient Westcott want to kill Shido, so that all the spirits would invert and then he would get all their crystals.
Apr 10, 3:09 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to KANLen09

@KANLen09 it will depend on how well season v does. Geek toys is certainly shutting down and goodshow. Best way to support. https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=MED-DVD2-55939

But imo if an epilogue ever gets animated, it will probably take like 5-10 years. Well selling anime don't just get cancelled unless it flopped on release.

The song alone will make people emotional. Sweet arms is a real underrated band.
Apr 10, 4:10 PM
Apr 2023
its a more calmer Episode but the final Fight against DEM is near i'm hyped
Apr 10, 4:16 PM
Feb 2021
Kurumi best girl!!!
Apr 10, 4:16 PM
Feb 2021
Kurumi best girl!!!
Apr 10, 6:04 PM

Oct 2012
Its so good to see Yoshino again
Apr 10, 6:13 PM

May 2021
I barely remember anything. Will just have to wing it as we go on.

Apr 10, 6:17 PM
Mar 2017
Reply to YuushaNi
Bruh, I already had some suspicion on who the new mystery girl is based off what they did in this episode, but did they just straight-up spoil it in the ending???
@YuushaNi They already showed in S4 some of this hinting at it.

So while it may be someone posed as her or not we aren't sure (anime viewers including me as stopped reading the light novels around the S4 period of content so I'm in the dark as well) and the camera angles in S5 Episode 1 do want us to keep her in mind from that last episode of S4 we don't no for sure.

(having watched the Date A Bullet movies right after this episode even if they released prior to S4 and related to S4 Kurumi/Sawa moments, as I hadn't seen them yet maybe someone with similar to Kurumi's powers or Kurumi's powers transferred to Sawa or something or because Phantom giving out the crystals has some of those abilities without removing the powers entirely to the crystals given to the girls).

I am just making up theories and not a lot really at all to say I don't actually know. The foreshadowing of the series has been slow ever since S2 with the DEM and other aspects or Origami's arc in S3 or a bunch of other factors so the more being revealed is nice but eventually those tid bits seem to keep waiting to tell us.

I mean S1 Kotori arc it took till they got those memories back and without Nia's power (as wasn't relevant then) let alone they don't really tell you in the anime but do I think a bit more detail it in the light novel I just don't remember what they are. So depends how the anime presents it/how the author intended really with how drawn out some details are.

Even Mana asking and we get a 'nah you can't tell yet'. We may get a Shido/Kotori talk about it or Mana does have memories explored as if a the user of it struggled to be effected by it (or Shido then Mukuro using it fully then Shido partial use of the power).

I can only assume though.

Well besides the light novel readers.

I need to get back to the light novels and finish from the Volume 16+ part of S4 and the ones 18+ S5 will cover up until Volume 22 which S6 will cover. So I am no more aware then anime viewers at this point.
Apr 10, 6:19 PM
Mar 2017
Reply to Unosottor-Sensei
Is this going to be last season?
@Unosottor-Sensei It's likely up to Volume 18 out of 22 (or a portion left of Volume 17) so nah it will be either S6 or a movie/two movies maybe I think to go.

I just checked the light novel (by images at least or chapter names). I have not read 16-22 so I have no idea what's going on and an anime viewer level of understanding at this point so I can't spoil what I know nothing about. XD

So 16 was part of S4. The first half of 17 is S4 as well.

I just came across the bit where Mana/Origami talk to the AST which we see in S5 Episode 1 so it's about halfway through Volume 17 right now.

We will get some interesting fun moments and I assume some other stuff from the brief images I skimmed through without context.

No idea about the battle Episode 2 will have but I could tell by some mid-season 5 moments what may happen kind of.
Suntanned_Duck2Apr 10, 6:24 PM
Apr 10, 6:30 PM

Aug 2021
This anime is crazy fun
IMO, It's the G.O.A.T romance drama,
Kurumi will always be my #1 waifu out of thousands of cute anime girls
Apr 10, 6:45 PM
Mar 2024
Reply to RioFS
I barely remember anything. Will just have to wing it as we go on.

@RioFS I recommend having the English dub as background noise. The show requires a rewatch especially entering this season. The finale is probably the best in ln history.
Apr 10, 7:46 PM
Jul 2014
turned down the brightness a couple levels on 4 separate occasions and still felt like i was looking at the sun
Apr 10, 8:21 PM
suii

Dec 2018
Reply to Forphy
Date A Live Season 5!
Well I started watching from S1 a month ago and finished S4 yesterday, so I'm into the story, S4 leads directly into S5.

Still, I'm not used to the Studio Geek Toys Character designs, they somehow make everything look like from a child series.
But I'm looking forward to Best Girl Kurumi, she takes centre stage! Let's see what kind of war this will be, and what Kurumi has in mind when she said "shall we begin our date".

Btw, will S5 be the last season??
@Forphy ''Still, I'm not used to the Studio Geek Toys Character designs, they somehow make everything look like from a child series'' yeah its something to get used to for sure
Apr 10, 10:01 PM
Jan 2020
First episode almost entirely outsourced, now this is the true Date A Live experience.

In all of the studios this show had, it stayed to a definition of mediocre ass studio, Geek Toys.
Apr 10, 10:25 PM
Jul 2021
Reply to Ronninn
First episode almost entirely outsourced, now this is the true Date A Live experience.

In all of the studios this show had, it stayed to a definition of mediocre ass studio, Geek Toys.
@Ronninn Wait almost entirely outsourced?cause I thought that the animation was fine.Especially the ed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 24

91 by TanedaKaori »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 29

59 by BertBert »»
6 hours ago

» How many volumes will be adapted?

K_Abhishek - Jun 13

11 by benjic665 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 17

56 by Ashhk »»
Today, 4:38 AM

Poll: » Date A Live V Episode 10 Discussion

Kashimo_Official - Jun 12

49 by Penguinu »»
Today, 1:43 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.