Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 10, 1:50 PM

Jul 2017
Despite being more faithful to the Light Novel, I prefer the older adaptation compared to this release. I think the colors were more vivid and complimented Holo's design more.
Also, the OST, Openings and Endings were spectacular - way more memorable than what we're hearing in 2024. Not saying it's bad, but it's very hard to beat the 2009 adaptation.

I slightly prefer Chloe to Yarei because of nostalgia factor. As for Holo's wolf form... I agree with what people here said about the new design being a giant Shiba Inu and the old one resembling more of a fox and a coiote rather than a wolf. I have mixed feelings about it and can't decide which one is better.
May 10, 7:17 PM

Jul 2016
Epic title drop is epic.

Pretty solid episode. Probably my favorite one so far and the reason mainly comes from that new OST track used during Holo's transformation scene. Kevin Penkin doing wonders once again.
As for the transformation sequence, I think the OG version did it better. Holo definitely looked more terrifying there than here.
May 11, 1:46 AM
Aug 2015
I think it was great because one of the main characters finally gets to show her true colours and therefore the whole connection that happened between the two characters is likely to change so I'm excited to see how things will change between them from now on
May 11, 6:22 AM

Jul 2017
In the pursuit, Holo snd Lawrence being chased by Medio Trading, they can fake all they want, but both know the truth as they attempt to hide around the underground sewer labyrinth. But run around as they can, and both Lawrence and Yarei meet again to deduce the entire silver coin underground business and bring their farce to a close with their contractual obligations. And for the first time, her real wolf persona is displayed on full view, and it's pretty unsettling to face a god like Holo...who's pretty much seen not at all intimidating, but as a regular wolf god with fluff (this is where the OG does better being a menace of a wolf).

Despite Holo parting ways and not forgetting her small wheat bag, Lawrence is brought to Milone Trading Company for recovery, as well as finalize the contract and deal of the silver coins, ultimately earning only a rather disappointing 2400 coins after ridiculous taxes and tariffs deducted, and an extra 1000 from Medio Trading, which Lawrence trades for pepper. And the 140 silver coins from a purchase invoice full of apples, that can only mean Holo.

With the title drop, Volume 1 of the LN is done, and it's a respectable adaptation 1/4 of the way through.
May 11, 8:51 AM
Sep 2021
Holo saved Lawrence by turning into her true form, a big wolf & after solving their problems, their journey continues towards north.
May 11, 2:59 PM

Nov 2016
You don't want to mess with Holo, this time she showed her fangs for real. That was indeed a great episode of "Spice & Wolf"

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 12, 1:12 AM

Apr 2015
Lawrence suddenly breaking into exposition mode was funny.
May 12, 3:15 PM
Jul 2014
Reply to 0451
Finally, Holo transforms into her wolf form for the first time in this adaptation. Gotta say she looked much more terrifying in the OG. The Remake version makes her look more gentle which seems to be a theme with her human form too.

I think I prefer the music in the remake more. I don't think the original's music is bad but it's way too loud very often. I think the remake's OST sounds pretty similar so it could be different arrangements of the same music. I could be wrong tho. Overall the audio design in the remake seems better. Holo's howl to fend off the dogs was more terrifying here.

It's good that Milone didn't betray Lawrence and Holo. Tho the profit they made was quite small. There was no way they were gonna get rich this early.

I'm glad Lawrence was able to convince Holo to stay with him. Not having the Wise Wolf beside him would've been a tremendous loss.

Poor Lawrence's best clothes tho. At least Holo got some new clothes.

The title drop was funny once again. And looks like I was right about this episode being the end of book 1 based on the other comments.
Can't wait to see what's in store next. Hope we don't see Yarei again tho.
@0451 I completely agree, I remember her transformation in the original having much more gravitas. Her new form also looks way too friendly, almost to the point of being goofy. It just makes Lawrence's fear of the form come off as kinda forced
May 12, 11:13 PM
Jan 2021
RealCoZHours said:
@0451 I completely agree, I remember her transformation in the original having much more gravitas. Her new form also looks way too friendly, almost to the point of being goofy. It just makes Lawrence's fear of the form come off as kinda forced

A Dog-Wolf looking creature looks goofy to you?! Guess you wouldn't be frightened if that huge Wolf was in front of you. If anything the OG Wolf looks goofy, cause it's looks more like a Fantasy Wolf that an actual one
May 13, 8:51 PM
Jul 2014
Reply to AshTheChamp
RealCoZHours said:

A Dog-Wolf looking creature looks goofy to you?! Guess you wouldn't be frightened if that huge Wolf was in front of you. If anything the OG Wolf looks goofy, cause it's looks more like a Fantasy Wolf that an actual one
@AshTheChamp This version looks like a friendly doggy in comparison to the original. It wasn't perfect, but at least she actually looked intimidating in the first anime
May 14, 12:04 AM

Nov 2013
The wolf form doesn't look majestic, I'm a little disappointed
May 15, 2:42 PM
Apr 2021
HE SAID IT HE SAID THE THING!!!! But fr tho I cant believe bro just gave us a title drop at the end of the episode🤣

Great episode once again and it was so cool seeing Holo’s true form fianlly we get to see it I was wondering how she looked and tbh she looked less frightening and more like a large adorable fluffy wolf/dog but she did look menacing when she was snarling at them, she taught them that she ain’t called a god for no reason🔥🗣️
May 16, 1:51 PM

Aug 2014
too bad he was scared of her wolf form again.. but maybe some next episode..

the deal with the merchants makes me kinda confused..
also how does trading work there if he only gets money for transport and doesn't have to pay for things before?
normal trading is u buy cheap sell way higher.. in this anime it looks he has some contracts he gets things for free and paid wherever he sell it :D makes little sense
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
May 16, 3:19 PM

Sep 2023
I guess Holo has more wolf in her than the 2 cute ears and the tail!
May 19, 9:13 AM

May 2021
Great episode, great OST but I hoping for a more intimidating design for Holo's wolf form.

May 19, 7:30 PM

Jun 2015
Roll credits! Spice and Wolf is all he needs. I still feel that this story is way longer than it needs to be. Just fuck already.
May 20, 6:44 PM

Dec 2022
they're really nailing it with the music during Holo's big moments in this remake, very tribal & primal. appropriate for an ancient wolf hunting in untouched fields of wheat
May 24, 5:36 AM

May 2015
Seeing Holo deal with those neerdowellers was so awesome! Fitting arc to end with a title drop.
May 28, 10:33 PM
Dec 2018
Apsolutely amazing. I hope they continue the story until the end.
Jun 2, 2:39 PM

Nov 2023
I've always found Lawrence's fearful reaction towards Holo in her wolf form to be quite realistic, after all, she is a giant wolf.
Indeed, a well-deserved remake.
Jun 10, 9:22 AM
Nov 2022
He said it! "Spice and Wolf", Authentic cinema 🚬
Jun 10, 4:35 PM

Oct 2017
The iconic moment from the og and it was handled well but why did Holo transformed looked like pochi? Wolves look sharper.

Glad Holo didn't leave Lawrence, he was sure happy about it. Got title drop too.
Jun 30, 7:51 AM
Jan 2023
Holy, I didn't quite expect Holo to become a massive wolf like that. Awesome!

Also, the royals saw right through the plan when it came to profiting off money, and slapped a bunch of contract fees ontop and such, so they get less profit.

God this show is just sooo good! Can't wait to see what shenanigans they get up to next time, should be fun.
Jul 3, 12:26 AM

Jul 2023
why they made the wolf chubby-chubby!?

Jul 13, 4:52 PM

Mar 2010
da wolf is the goat in terms of how cute she is, holy many times I just wanted to pet her on da head.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 24, 3:59 PM

Sep 2014
Did Holo drink Lawrence blood in the original? Im pretty sure she just ate some of the wheat.

Something I never quite understood was why the trading company helped him so much for free. All the manpower and logistics, breaking into their rivals building to free Holo etc. They talk so much about money and trade, you would think Lawrence offered them his part of the share but nope. They just did it all for free.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 1, 4:24 PM

Jul 2023
And this episode ends the first arc, and Lawrence had to say goodbye to Yarei.
Aug 6, 8:10 AM
Apr 2023
brought a tear to my eye by the end of the episode
Oct 4, 11:01 AM
Mar 2019
He still fears her true form.
Holo's Love for Apples.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8

147 by AkiFosu »»
Yesterday, 7:39 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1

341 by AkiFosu »»
Yesterday, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 8

46 by phantom346 »»
Oct 19, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9

46 by welcome2atlantis »»
Oct 19, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 19

49 by BillSpyro »»
Oct 18, 4:13 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.