Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 2, 2015 8:45 PM

Oct 2011
Pina Co lada XDD

Itami and crew going to save her
Aug 2, 2015 10:10 PM

Jul 2014
kataklism said:
"roughly about 9:18 timestamp. You can see a dead a naked girls body."

http://i.imgur.com/qByxZRq.jpg

i've lost nearly 10 minutes watching this scene, this frame to be precise, and i don't see any girl, let alone a naked one.

given that everything else in your post resembles more of a rant about people rather than something related to our conversation, i won't answer to that.

First, find a video that has higher fidelity than 180p. Even my phone has better quality video, then you will easily see it. Its in the right lower side. Even i can see that even in that quality picture. Not to be offensife of course.

Also my post was a direct answer to your post and points. So if it was someone that started or nitiated the rant, it was you.
There is no "Good or "bad" anime. There is only different anime.
Aug 2, 2015 11:12 PM
May 2014
ScoomKun said:
konatachan80 said:

Well, staying close to the source tend to be a good thing.
You can only remove so much without changing the setting/mood.
I guess they have to rewrite this and that, or remove scenes altogether, because they
probably won't make sense without the violence.

1. The source is the LN,not the manga. In an LN, AFAIK, the only images present are usually in between chapters and or for certain events, and again AFAIK, In the mangafox forums there doesn't seem to be any evidence pointing toward any images in the LN that were exceptionally violent.Violence, in this case, is dependent on the person reading.

2.What will not make sense? The men charging off into their doom? They illustrated that perfectly well in the anime. They kept the part of dragging dead bodies of their comrades, albeit with clothes on and no women, but it is there. If you see your best friend's dead body being paraded in front of you surely you will be ticked off. These wave of emotion will be multiplied by the bandwagon effect. With everybody else around you getting pissed you yourself will get more pissed and eventually without proper training, as is the case in the anime with the conscript town militia, a lot of people will charge off into their doom.

The only case in which removing violent bits affected the anime was back in episode 3 when Rory was killing the bandits. However, this was not a very big issue because now it is resolved in her conversation with Itami.

1. as I said, chances are the LN is even more violent than the manga, but it isn't
translated (except for small parts of it) so I don't know.

Here's what seem to be a translated version of one of the LN scenes
(Rory vs bandits scene):

Tell me, is the description in line with the manga, or the anime?

2. Going by the manga, one of those may be a scene with a certain prince,

..which then becomes one of the main reasons of what follows later on, to the currently translated manga chapter and beyond.
konatachan80Aug 2, 2015 11:26 PM
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Aug 3, 2015 12:56 AM
Jul 2015
konatachan80 said:
ScoomKun said:

1. The source is the LN,not the manga. In an LN, AFAIK, the only images present are usually in between chapters and or for certain events, and again AFAIK, In the mangafox forums there doesn't seem to be any evidence pointing toward any images in the LN that were exceptionally violent.Violence, in this case, is dependent on the person reading.

2.What will not make sense? The men charging off into their doom? They illustrated that perfectly well in the anime. They kept the part of dragging dead bodies of their comrades, albeit with clothes on and no women, but it is there. If you see your best friend's dead body being paraded in front of you surely you will be ticked off. These wave of emotion will be multiplied by the bandwagon effect. With everybody else around you getting pissed you yourself will get more pissed and eventually without proper training, as is the case in the anime with the conscript town militia, a lot of people will charge off into their doom.

The only case in which removing violent bits affected the anime was back in episode 3 when Rory was killing the bandits. However, this was not a very big issue because now it is resolved in her conversation with Itami.

1. as I said, chances are the LN is even more violent than the manga, but it isn't
translated (except for small parts of it) so I don't know.

Here's what seem to be a translated version of one of the LN scenes
(Rory vs bandits scene):

Tell me, is the description in line with the manga, or the anime?

2. Going by the manga, one of those may be a scene with a certain prince,

..which then becomes one of the main reasons of what follows later on, to the currently translated manga chapter and beyond.

1. How you interpret these "violent" scenes is up to you. However, there is a difference between the scene of Rory murdering the bandits and scenes like

You can very much do away with the violence of most of the battle scenes without impacting the story.

In the other case where such scenes are sort of "necessary" see no.2. Again the only case where this harmed the anime so far was episode 3.

2. The keyword here is "maybe". It will definitely be interesting to see how A-1 will deal with that scene.

One possible way I can think of is

Ultimately we will have to see how it is handled before criticizing A-1. Right now I can only applaud A-1 for how they handled the series so far.
Aug 3, 2015 1:12 AM
May 2014
ScoomKun said:

I've hidden the earlier quotes in the spoiler below. - konatachan80

1. How you interpret these "violent" scenes is up to you. However, there is a difference between the scene of Rory murdering the bandits and scenes like

You can very much do away with the violence of most of the battle scenes without impacting the story.

In the other case where such scenes are sort of "necessary" see no.2. Again the only case where this harmed the anime so far was episode 3.

2. The keyword here is "maybe". It will definitely be interesting to see how A-1 will deal with that scene.

One possible way I can think of is

Ultimately we will have to see how it is handled before criticizing A-1. Right now I can only applaud A-1 for how they handled the series so far.

1. Skipping most of the huge battles is fair enough, but when they "disneyfied" the
lesser ones (1-30 or so).. Well, that's where I reacted a bit.

There isn't much to interpret.. the violence is quite literal in that example.

2. Certainly. That/those scenes are probably not the only ones where the lack of
violence etc (and the mood derived from it) most likely would create either a plothole,
disjoint, or similar.
It remains to be seen how they do it, but.. well.

A "disneyfied" Berserk would probably have similar problems.
konatachan80Aug 3, 2015 1:40 AM
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Aug 3, 2015 10:27 AM

Nov 2013
Hime-sama is a full blown retard it seems.
Aug 3, 2015 12:41 PM
May 2013
Dumbass princess!! Call for help you clown!!
Aug 3, 2015 6:11 PM

May 2015
Bue... not bad.

I still thinking if the anime events happen in the real world, our forces wouldn't be so merciful.

Anyway the show is not bad at all.
HarselAug 3, 2015 6:14 PM

Aug 3, 2015 10:14 PM
Jul 2015
HandsomeMan said:
Hime-sama is a full blown retard it seems.

How so?
In terms of battle
She is less of a retard and more of an inexperienced commander. Her plan of using the South Gate as a decoy was a solid plan. BUT the enemy decided to not attack the South Gate and instead attacked somewhere else. The princess' not contemplating that the enemy would do that is evidence of her inexperience and the fundamental error of a commander of underestimating her opponents.

Or perhaps you meant her personality of just shoving the gate open...err... I got nothing for that

Matt88 said:

She said it in the last part of the episode that "even if I call for them they won't come, not after I sent them on a suicide mission to the south gate". She is reacting to the situation according to how people would normally react. Most people would not bother helping another if that other has left them to something bad as well.
Aug 3, 2015 10:20 PM
Nov 2012
Matt88 said:

How? No radio? They're all the way across town. She didn't set up some way to signal, using flares or something.

If you're defending, and the enemy can attack at one of several points, you hold back reserves and don't commit them until you know where the enemy has attacked. The front line troops have to be strong enough to hold the enemy until the reserves get there. This takes discipline and communications. Holding until relieved is a classic bitter military job, the kind that results in posthumous medals. From "Horatius at the Bridge" to the 82nd Airborne on D-Day, many heroes have died doing that.

Pina is trying to cobble together a defense out of terrified townspeople, and lacks battle experience. Her townspeeople get goaded into an attack when it's tactically unsound. She's trying to stall for three days until her backup forces get there, but the enemy is winning on a faster timetable. She keeps her head even when things get bad; you have to respect that. It's impressive that this anime has real tactical problems like this.
Aug 3, 2015 10:53 PM
Jul 2015
oldskoolpunk said:
Matt88 said:

How? No radio? They're all the way across town. She didn't set up some way to signal, using flares or something.

If you're defending, and the enemy can attack at one of several points, you hold back reserves and don't commit them until you know where the enemy has attacked. The front line troops have to be strong enough to hold the enemy until the reserves get there. This takes discipline and communications. Holding until relieved is a classic bitter military job, the kind that results in posthumous medals. From "Horatius at the Bridge" to the 82nd Airborne on D-Day, many heroes have died doing that.

Pina is trying to cobble together a defense out of terrified townspeople, and lacks battle experience. Her townspeeople get goaded into an attack when it's tactically unsound. She's trying to stall for three days until her backup forces get there, but the enemy is winning on a faster timetable. She keeps her head even when things get bad; you have to respect that. It's impressive that this anime has real tactical problems like this.

Don't forget that most of the town's original defenders are either dead or dying. In which case while preparing for a night battle she does not have enough men to defend all the gates, let alone have any reserves to fight the enemy of with should they break past the gate other than the men on the other side of the town who, without modern vehicles, would take forever to get to the other side.

The princess is also hesitant to call on the JSDF because of reasons that she said herself.
Aug 4, 2015 12:32 PM

Nov 2012
I'm not gonna give any specifics but as I have read the manga after watching first 3 episodes (I couldn't get enough) I now see that there are some differences between these 2 adaptations. It's not just manga being animated.
This has a potential for a 2 season anime.
Aug 5, 2015 9:06 AM
Aug 2008
Aug 5, 2015 10:45 AM

Jul 2009
Piña Co Lada! LOL like the drink hahaha
She was such a cute kid.
Looking forward to see Rory in action!
Aug 5, 2015 3:45 PM

Nov 2011
Molek123 said:
Mallony said:

His superior's location doesn't matter. They are in a different world, he's going by his own act on protecting the villagers which is no part of his official duty. He's not obligated to take command from the princess since he just happened to stop by their little fortress, he has his own superiors.

Military is about obeying your superiors and being a puppet to them. Itami is somewhat high ranking, but he still has orders to follow.

His order is somewhat like "meet ppls of imperium and left a good impresion... or right impresion". Maybe because he is one of highest rank beyond gate, he is allowed to do so. And still, protecting civilians is (theoretically) the most important job for JSDF. Oh, and officers "in field" offten can ignore superiors orders, if they are sure, that orders are wrong. Howevere, it's risky as hell.
Itami's still following orders. Itam's ojective is to trade. However, the city is under attack. To fulfill his mission, he has to assist in the defense. Since his team is a foreign military force (not to metion the empire's enemy), he has no choice but to listen to the highest authority in the city if he wants to participate in battle. If not for the fact that the city is in a desperate situation, they wouldn't even let Itami in.
Aug 5, 2015 5:19 PM

Mar 2015
orangpelupa said:
episode 6 trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28lLWrjy8Wk

Rory teaming up with Kuribayashi?! YES!!
The sword that takes life gives life
Aug 5, 2015 11:04 PM

Feb 2015
Love the pacing of this show so far. Pretty good episode overall.

Looking forward to the next one and to some Rory action. Preview looks good.

Aug 6, 2015 4:50 AM

Jul 2008
I actually enjoyed this episode the most out of all the 5 right now, love the plot :) Night vision goggles will tear the enemy apart lol :D
Aug 6, 2015 11:09 PM
Jun 2013
In this episode, for some reason Itami really sounded like Emiya.

BTW, I know they have the same voice actor but it was surprising they sounded so different.
Aug 8, 2015 1:45 AM

Mar 2012
The Princess has to step her game up.
Aug 8, 2015 6:32 PM

Feb 2013
Cliffhanger'd! It was just getting good too.

No sniper?
Aug 9, 2015 11:33 AM

Jul 2015
Good episode !
Aug 12, 2015 8:18 AM

May 2014
Hime-sama's failing quite badly, she's hot though, so forgiveness can be found. Btw did she just say she got fucked once or twice? Dafuq 😂😂 can't believe she's still sane, at least not like your typical hentai.
Hmm btw, this episode was supposed to be about the battle for Italicana, yet the fight only happened the last 5 minutes, find a better episode title you guys -,-
Hmm well, if the JDSF barge in they could surely kill everyone lol.
Aug 12, 2015 9:02 AM

Jul 2011
KamSung said:
Hime-sama's failing quite badly, she's hot though, so forgiveness can be found. Btw did she just say she got fucked once or twice? Dafuq 😂😂 can't believe she's still sane, at least not like your typical hentai.
Hmm btw, this episode was supposed to be about the battle for Italicana, yet the fight only happened the last 5 minutes, find a better episode title you guys -,-
Hmm well, if the JDSF barge in they could surely kill everyone lol.

i think you misunderstood, she said "i can withstand being raped a couple time, but not hundreds" she never implied she DID get fucked/raped, she was just hypotesizing on how long she could withstand that stuff.
Aug 12, 2015 10:30 AM

Mar 2012
Zeally said:
kataklism said:
nobody mentions rory saying to tuka that the medic was her type? really?

perhaps people here already know about the lore...

osp: the next episode preview is al the spoilers you need.

yes she might be lesbian

Aug 15, 2015 7:19 AM

Oct 2008
The Princess is now put on a tough test!
LOL at Rori Mercury itching so much for a fight since it's been so long she would go crazy!
Excited for Rori's rampage next episode!
5/5.

Aug 17, 2015 4:34 PM

Jan 2011
This episode really exceeded my expectations of this show, I'm genuinely interested to find out what happens next.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 19, 2015 8:06 AM

Apr 2014
Nothing much.( ̄へ ̄)
Aug 27, 2015 10:35 PM

Aug 2013
Tsk tsk.. always have characters like that princess...
Well she should become better after 10 eps or so.. probably.
Foot soldiers had more brains than her hahahhaa.
Aug 28, 2015 1:50 PM

Dec 2013
the princess is called Pina Co Lada? This series does not seem to care at all...
The tone shifts are so jarring.
One moment they are doing cutesy things, the next horrific murder is taking place.
In this episode it's a horrible battle, then the princess states to the guy in charge "either we fight or we all get murdered and raped here."
Next moment a bunch of kids are playing knight...
And then it goes into funny situations featuring all of the harem girls.
Aug 29, 2015 3:01 AM

Jul 2011
Mysteriala said:
the princess is called Pina Co Lada? This series does not seem to care at all...
The tone shifts are so jarring.
One moment they are doing cutesy things, the next horrific murder is taking place.
In this episode it's a horrible battle, then the princess states to the guy in charge "either we fight or we all get murdered and raped here."
Next moment a bunch of kids are playing knight...
And then it goes into funny situations featuring all of the harem girls.

that's what happpends when a studio tries to adapt something from both the novel and the manga which are seinen, and tries to tone them down to be more "shonen", but really, until a certain point that will happen in iirc 6-10 episodes, it really doesn't matter.
Sep 19, 2015 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Episode enough discursive, not many emotions punctuate the narrative. In terms of plot it progresses though little but enough to understand certain dynamics in the relationships of the characters. Drawings not up to the reputation of the A1 Pictures, the next episode looks interesting.
Oct 9, 2015 8:42 AM

Apr 2013
"Look what you done done,
now you done fucked up!"

Pretty much quoting Rae Sremmurd as the only relevant quote for what I just saw.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Oct 14, 2015 12:48 PM

May 2012
Solid development! Let's see what's next.
Oct 18, 2015 7:40 PM

Sep 2014
Freakin called it! Ep 5.

Plot: Itami and co finally meet princess Pina Colada and getting caught in the rain at the town of Italica. Apparently that army that Itami helped mess up and kill went bat-crazy and became bandits. Well Itami is gonna help out with that. But the Pina kinda screws up.

CHaracter: We see Pina Colada more and get a feel for her character. As I said, an idealist who's trying to do good but man it was a bad time for it. She's inexperienced. She's kinda emotional. But seriously, inexperienced and just getting into this war thing. She's also got that big doubting thing in herself and her choices considering she thinks that Itami won't help her in time and since she believes she screwed them over (nevermind that she doesn't really know the guy and just basing it off logic) And that blood lust taking the town at the end, yeah breakin the Cutie is in full motion.

Animation: the ending siege was quite well animated in seeing people die and the depravity of the brigands. Shellshock and PTSD really screwed them over.

4/5. A decent opening for a 2 parter. Now let's see the next bring it home.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Oct 27, 2015 9:18 AM

Jan 2012
U deserve it princess for being a bad leader

Nov 13, 2015 2:56 PM

Jan 2014
Pina Co Lada? Kool
Nov 13, 2015 3:00 PM

Oct 2013
Pina Co Lada lmfao

I continue to be impressed by how accurately this series depicts these skirmishes. The author must've done a lot of research about the nature of ancient warfare.

Solid episode.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 6, 2016 12:23 PM
Jan 2016
very good episode tbh!
Feb 2, 2016 11:38 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Oh, that got brutal real fast.

5/5
Feb 2, 2016 8:06 PM

Nov 2007
I call utter BS that Itami and everyone else could understand each other's language all on one door slam...
Feb 3, 2016 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
Shigeyama said:
I call utter BS that Itami and everyone else could understand each other's language all on one door slam...

Plot always finds a way.
Feb 25, 2016 3:31 AM

Sep 2015
Faust1812 said:
Shigeyama said:

Plot always finds a way.

The Plot is Strong with this one XD LMAO

Great episode loved the battle scene, looks like they stepped up the violence and blood in this episode. Rory Mercury just became best girl with this episode as well!!!!!! 5/5
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jul 11, 2016 11:58 PM

Apr 2009
Third Imperial Princess, Pina Co Lada. ROTFLMAO

Rory looks disappointed, no bloodbath tonight. X_x Well this turning to be difficult situation...British stiff upper lip and all that.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 18, 2016 3:41 AM

Jul 2013
How can the empire even hope to fight the SDF if they're fighting among themselves.
Sep 25, 2016 6:39 AM

Jan 2013
Damn, the princess saying she could stay sane if 1 ot 2 had their way with her ...
Itami suddenly understands their language (or the gist of it ...)

Yes princess, what WILL you do?
Oct 28, 2016 8:59 PM

Sep 2015
So I'm the only one who's pissed at Pina Colada for carelessly choosing to sacrifice the lives of soldiers who VOLUNTEERED to help their city out? Dick. Move.
Dec 20, 2016 10:26 PM

Dec 2012
Tuka is suppose to be in Youji's harem. She can't be..

Pina can handle get raped by one or two men. I need to see proof.

Pina with that wet face and hair. So hot.

Rory too cute.

Pina Co Lada. I am focking dead.

The bandits are coming for your women.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 15, 2017 12:07 PM

Mar 2010
Hmm I am sure the princess will make the right choice, she seems well rounded.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 28, 2018 2:07 PM

Mar 2016
Pina Co Lada... Wow, such a fitting name for a princess... Anyway, it's great that they showed the audiences her past and how she came to a realization of how cruel and unexpected reality is in present.

Princess Pina is really underestimating the JSDF squad! And the fact that the attackers are smart enough not to be baited by her plan only make it worse for this town. It's time for them to feel the wrath of the helicopter though! The preview is interesting!

I love Rory's teasing moments!
ShadowkillZMar 28, 2018 2:41 PM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Would I like this?

UberBat - Sep 17

13 by Haydorwaldor »»
Sep 18, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

284 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 16, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2015

163 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 15, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

188 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 13, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

285 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 12, 4:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.