Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 19, 1:53 PM

Aug 2020
This episode was really "out of the box". Lots of weird moments and an interesting symbolism... There are a couple of ideas that can be taken from this mushroom story. I liked it.

Apr 20, 4:25 PM

Aug 2022
What annoyed me about this episode was how inconsistent the mushroom-headers' behavior was. At first they seem clearly driven to convert the girls, then they all go completely crazy and attack the train, and now we are supposed to accept that mushrooms = apathy?
Not to mention how mushroom lady randomly started talking like a gangster and the end and saying this was 'her choice'. I can accept mushrooms = apathy + want more mushrooms, but if someone was so apathetic they would have no reason to hide their true personality like that. And then at the end the townspeople let the girls leave?
The only explanation I could come up with is that the mist had something to do with it - it accelerated the bitter melon growth, so perhaps it strengthened the mushroom-headers' desire to grow (their population)? It really doesn't explain the other contradictory behaviors, though...
Apr 20, 7:58 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Reply to Orenjion
What annoyed me about this episode was how inconsistent the mushroom-headers' behavior was. At first they seem clearly driven to convert the girls, then they all go completely crazy and attack the train, and now we are supposed to accept that mushrooms = apathy?
Not to mention how mushroom lady randomly started talking like a gangster and the end and saying this was 'her choice'. I can accept mushrooms = apathy + want more mushrooms, but if someone was so apathetic they would have no reason to hide their true personality like that. And then at the end the townspeople let the girls leave?
The only explanation I could come up with is that the mist had something to do with it - it accelerated the bitter melon growth, so perhaps it strengthened the mushroom-headers' desire to grow (their population)? It really doesn't explain the other contradictory behaviors, though...
@Orenjion Idk where those apathy comes from, but well from my understanding, the mushroom people still desire them to convert them into mushroom. However you do realise that there's a barrier on the train called, bitter melon. They hide there, even Shizuru fight with those. They hate it and can't do anything about that rather than just seeing them flee from afar in the end.

Secondly the lady mushroom said she's doing a favor because she thought its easy to convert them into mushrooms. Since they actually fighting with bitter melon, resisting, there's no other way for mushroom people especially with the lady mushroom to continue and let them escape. Tho at the end, she cleared her thought to be the mushroom as her own concern, while being mad ofc, not the other way around, like Shizuru thought at first.

Hope that's enough and again its up to you to understand the episode. Perhaps i was the one that wrong but whatever.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 22, 6:31 PM

Sep 2023
I know this is anime but the tracks were destroyed in previous episode, how do they still communicate via morse code, even with anime logic this shouldn't work!?
Apr 22, 10:27 PM

Jul 2012
Fellas, I like what I'm seeing, but what the fuck am I watching?
Apr 22, 11:16 PM
Oct 2014
Lovin the monster of the week adventureness of it all. Why doesn't Akira just ask her friends to help pull the mushroom off of her butt? She'll be fine if she does that right?

edit: if it's actually a tail and it's been growing there for a while, I guess that might explain it. Wonder what kind of animal she'll become.
The_RuiseApr 22, 11:19 PM
Apr 23, 6:42 AM

Jul 2014
This show is very clearly far more concerned with showcasing its ideas and concepts than actually being even remotely consistent about them. The behaviour of the mushroom changed on a dime throughout the episode, seemingly based on whatever the plot needed them to be doing at that moment. Hell, we had the glaring contradiction in the same scene of the girls being possessed by mushrooms and being utterly apathetic while the other mushroom people were violently attacking the train, not to mention the fact that if they die within a year or two they should all be dead already based on established timescales.

And then there's Akira seemingly starting to grow a tail, despite the show explicitly telling us that they don't change into animals until 21 and 3 months. I'm fairly sure none of these girls are older than 17, so why is Akira starting to change already?
Apr 23, 5:09 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to Kyragos
@_Gaidenn Well, this is the right place for a tail, and we know they will transform into animals past 21. We dont know if the process is instant or progressive though, with the age 21 being the last stage.
And why would she have a mushroom there while everyone else's was/were on their head?
@Kyragos hehehehe, i actually nailed it
Apr 23, 9:30 PM
Aug 2021
the music in this anime slaps and bangs.
more impirtantly they dont be being shroom people.
dont do shrooms guys.
Apr 24, 12:19 PM

Nov 2011
That was a scary one!
Apr 24, 12:21 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to AkeZZZ
Those mushroom people were fking creepy and scary.
What's growing on Akiba's butt? Hmmmm....... It could be another mushroom or maybe it's either an animal tail or a fox tail because the symbol of the next station, Musashi-Yokote, is a fox.
@AkeZZZ or she somehow got more ADULT than other girls, since on the previous station every adult turned into animal
Apr 26, 9:50 AM

Jun 2016
damnn this is so interesting because there is a lot mystery every station
Apr 28, 7:59 AM
Mar 2018
I had a lot of fun watching this episode! Love the creepy vibes and one versus all aspect.
Apr 29, 11:03 AM
Sep 2017
wow this ep is creepy and sad at the same time!
May 2, 9:46 AM

Oct 2017
Mushroom parasites this time but luckily Akira was there to save them but wait she's turning into an animal? That's a tail right? I first thought she had a mushroom growing out there lmao.
May 2, 5:30 PM

Dec 2021
The map to Ikebukuro seems pretty extensive, so I'm curious how they'll handle it. Maybe they'll skip some stops along the way and only show selected places? I'm sure they'll get there eventually. I don't think it's going for a "it's all about the journey" kind of story.

But yeah, this turned out (almost) exactly like we expected, huh? The only difference was that the denizens were fully aware of what the mushrooms did and were fine with it.

May 3, 11:52 AM
Apr 2024
another very good episode
May 6, 11:13 AM

Apr 2015
At this point they're setting up for a hard tearjerker around the end, wonder how they'll pull it off
May 8, 10:17 PM

Jan 2011
This was some nice blend of Sci-fi, adventure, and horror. I can dig it. What's going on with Akira's butt?
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
May 24, 9:58 AM
Sep 2022
this episode was painfully slow, still not in this one but still not out. The world is interesting enough to see where it goes but this show is going to have to have some good episodes going forward to not lose me
May 30, 8:08 AM

Nov 2020
Pomysł komunikowania się poprzez stukanie w utwory jest niewiarygodny i stanowi dużą dziurę fabularną. Byłoby lepiej, gdybyśmy nie widzieli kierowcy, a jedynie słyszeli stukanie, wtedy dałoby się to jakoś wytłumaczyć.
4/5
Jun 2, 12:35 PM

Jan 2022
It seems like Akira has always teased Reimi since they were kids lol

Akira seems to be a little hesitant about staying which is completely valid.

What's weird is the lady stopped herself from saying "cultivate". No one was listening to Akira and it was stressing me out lol

I hated this episode solely because I hate mushrooms.

Rip her butt. Also she clearly didn't want to get undressed with them because she didn't fall for the sauna trick
This never updates so that's cool
Jun 2, 12:37 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to badabass
So those shrooms folks trying doin a favor to the girls since they visit their stops, its a happiness to them. They also doin it to their own consciousness not by the shroom parasitic behaviour making the motive kinda clear to this episode theme. Too bad, the act to prolonging their breathen also there, which kinda makes sense as a living being to cultivate more, but by trappin people like that? Yeah Akira my girl, you right, fast collect the supplies and get the hell outta there.

Also, idk why but really not expecting bitter melon to be a weapon against those shrooms. However, by looking at a quick google search you can see how bitter melon can works as an anti-fungi material, so this episode detail really appreciated.

Then Akira butt tho. Hemorrhoid? xd

29 stops left, let's hope they don't turned out get lost since i kinda have a feeling, next run gonna be more wild, especially with Akira that may turn inability for the rest of episode....
@badabass thank you for sharing the bitter melon fun fact! No wonder they were so scared of bitter melons
This never updates so that's cool
Jun 17, 2:30 AM

Nov 2019
The residents of Higashi Adano all have mushrooms on their heads but apart from that they seem to be regular every day in appearance and activities. Shizuru, Reimi and Shiko all go for a nice detox in the sauna while Akira spots a creepy figure in the darkness. Everything is made from mushrooms and another figure is joined by the other in the darkness; Akira is adamant on investigating the suspicious people.

Akira stressed out while the others are in peace because of the fungal growth turning them into mushroom people too. Conductor Zenjirou is somehow able to communicate after the rails were destroyed by the tidal wave? Sure ok

Mushroom people don't like the bitter melon and laze in the darkness. The three of them all get their awareness back and start bullying the people with bittermelons; They aren't willing to turn back now but at least the gang are back on the rails-road.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24

89 by niknasr »»
3 hours ago

» Is it only me or is the whole anime sped up?

Leggun - Jun 24

7 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Jun 24, 10:33 PM

» Episode 12 delayed due to Production issues.

Ace_Entertainers - Jun 13

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Jun 24, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

74 by CaptainKenshiro »»
Jun 21, 6:41 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 3

56 by JulesSugoi »»
Jun 20, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.