Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2:48 PM
Aug 2023
can't watch it yet cuz hidive is having sub issues 😕 also I can't find a way to report issues on their app lmao
Apr 6, 2:49 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
Only two cases of shipping goggles in the comments? I hope that this will actually do without yet another pointless attempt to see yuri in any interaction of female characters on the screen.
@RobertBobert I hope you ready to see that anyway because the people who went to early screenings were really happy about the 'undertone' for the first three episodes (Besides the promo material being all about that too lol)
Apr 6, 2:52 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to RobertBobert
Only two cases of shipping goggles in the comments? I hope that this will actually do without yet another pointless attempt to see yuri in any interaction of female characters on the screen.
@RobertBobert I agree but tbh I could very easily see it just becoming a yuri bait instead of staying interesting
Apr 6, 3:10 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to sowtte
@RobertBobert I hope you ready to see that anyway because the people who went to early screenings were really happy about the 'undertone' for the first three episodes (Besides the promo material being all about that too lol)
@sowtte I constantly hear this about every fairly popular all-male or all-female anime, especially when I watch “gay gay, very gay” stacks for fun and see mostly not yuri or BL (bait), but simply popular shonens and all-female drama. I'll try it anyway just for interest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it all turns out to be the usual nakama power and melodramatic friendship theme. Especially after people focus too much on the word "subtext". Also, I saw the promotional materials and didn’t notice anything special about yuri bait there.

@Phoenix_Trite That's a bold statement to make in a year when you're getting so many high-profile sequels, including Oshi no Ko and the highly anticipated new season of Hibike.

@Peenutz At the moment, it looks promising enough that it won't slide into the usual yuri bait for moe fans.
RobertBobertApr 6, 3:14 PM
Apr 6, 3:17 PM

Jul 2012
Reply to RobertBobert
@sowtte I constantly hear this about every fairly popular all-male or all-female anime, especially when I watch “gay gay, very gay” stacks for fun and see mostly not yuri or BL (bait), but simply popular shonens and all-female drama. I'll try it anyway just for interest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it all turns out to be the usual nakama power and melodramatic friendship theme. Especially after people focus too much on the word "subtext". Also, I saw the promotional materials and didn’t notice anything special about yuri bait there.

@Phoenix_Trite That's a bold statement to make in a year when you're getting so many high-profile sequels, including Oshi no Ko and the highly anticipated new season of Hibike.

@Peenutz At the moment, it looks promising enough that it won't slide into the usual yuri bait for moe fans.
@RobertBobert Hibike Euphonium is my #1 rated anime of all time (not my favorite, but I do think it's the best). At the time I predicted it, I wasn't really including sequels or reboots (Spice and Wolf), so if we add in those, while it still has a chance, it probably gets outshone a bit.

Seriously though, the first episode of this was pretty much what I was hoping for. I really hope people don't miss out on this one.
Apr 6, 3:17 PM

Mar 2016
Very strong first eps, lets see how it will go. But i have positive expectation since Doga Kobo never dissapointed me

Apr 6, 3:19 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Phoenix_Trite
@RobertBobert Hibike Euphonium is my #1 rated anime of all time (not my favorite, but I do think it's the best). At the time I predicted it, I wasn't really including sequels or reboots (Spice and Wolf), so if we add in those, while it still has a chance, it probably gets outshone a bit.

Seriously though, the first episode of this was pretty much what I was hoping for. I really hope people don't miss out on this one.
@Phoenix_Trite Well, if we're talking about just original anime or just music/media franchises, I think it has a chance. But for a bigger challenge I need to at least get more episodes.
Apr 6, 3:34 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to RobertBobert

@RobertBobert Yeah the 'subtext' thing pops up a lot these days. Honestly I don't mind too much either way. If it goes that direction that would be cool and if it does not I just hope it doesn't start to bait too much and take screentime away from the more interesting stuff.
The promo material I was thinking about it was some LNs that were announced today which gave me some LycoReco flashbacks
https://twitter.com/gagaga_bunko/status/1776650737122250822
Apr 6, 3:42 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to sowtte
@RobertBobert Yeah the 'subtext' thing pops up a lot these days. Honestly I don't mind too much either way. If it goes that direction that would be cool and if it does not I just hope it doesn't start to bait too much and take screentime away from the more interesting stuff.
The promo material I was thinking about it was some LNs that were announced today which gave me some LycoReco flashbacks
https://twitter.com/gagaga_bunko/status/1776650737122250822
@sowtte Well, subjectively in my opinion it looks like an ordinary moe friendship and I did not find any mention of the plot other than the synopsis on the Japanese wiki. Although I have a lot of thoughts about LR, their fanservice was noticeably more appealing to people. Just remember how they published a teaser about the dynamics between the girls on the yuri day. But honestly, I'll be fine if it's fully platonic or openly yuri. What will really irritate me is the choice of gray area and any kind of bait/fan service.

But then again, no matter what I or you expect from the show, talking about subtext is simply pointless until we've seen at least half of the show. Judging by the fact that 100% of the announced cast is female, they are at least going to make a multimedia bishoujo brand out of this.
Apr 6, 3:50 PM
Aug 2017
One girl looks like a Fern rip off. Dog shit 1/10 dropped
Apr 6, 4:00 PM

Apr 2022
doga kobo has not missed with their last few shows, i hold them in high regard for now. visuals and directing are pretty damn good but the episode itself was kinda boring, kinda okay.
Apr 6, 4:07 PM
Jul 2022
Holy shit, watch an eps. Really loved it. Seems like it's gonna be a wholesome and a fun show. I'm definitely gonna watch this all the way through.

Doga Koba fs cooked. The animation and the visuals were absolutely amazing and some of the shots were clean af. The studio is making their way to be one of the top studios fs.
Levi1108Apr 6, 4:19 PM
Apr 6, 4:17 PM
Jul 2022
Ryushindai said:
I was going to watch this just because of the studio and the VAs lineup even if the story was pretty bad but wow, 1 episode is all it took to fully develop a character and get me emotionaly invested in her... They did an amazing job!

The visuals and animation in this what in the world... it's so stunning and beatiful, not to talk about the camera work

Also is this a collab with Doga Kobo, ufotable, Clover Works and SHAFT?? I saw the names in the credits in the 仕上げ (finishing) part. If so that's an insane lineup holy shoot

The studios often have some help with other studios in some of the aspects. There was Production IG in there too. I swear Production IG is always involved in many shows. I've seen its name in the credits of shows that are adapted by other studios so many times. They're always there, especially in some of the big shows.

Anyways, it isn't really that big of a deal. It's pretty normal and happens almost all the time.
Apr 6, 4:20 PM

Aug 2017
Good first episode, visually it looks good and it certainly made me interesting since I like these kind of stories where one struggling and insecure about what one likes.
Apr 6, 4:25 PM
ザクシャ イン ラブ

Aug 2016
The first half of the episode is definitely much weaker for me as we slowly learn about Mahiru as a character through flashbacks and see that she struggles with self-confidence and trying to balance the conundrum of adhering to societal norms versus finding what she truly wants to do. The show definitely picks up in the second half of the episode, beginning with Mahiru meeting Kano. The episode's strongest scene is when Mahiru rushes forward and rips off the poster covering her jellyfish mural, as Kano continues her performance for Mahiru's art. Not only does this scene give us the kickstart to Mahiru teaming together with Kano as team Jelee, it shows strong character development in Mahiru, who finally begins to move forward from her struggle with self-confidence in her art, as well as finding her purpose. Ripping down the poster is a symbol of Mahiru accepting love for her art even though she knows that it may not be for everyone.

Already showing strong scenes, music, art, and a seiyuu cast that I love, coupled with spot-on depictions of Shibuya's nighttime, Yorukura is off to a good start in my books. All in all, I am looking forward to the remainder of this series, which I would currently describe as a yuri/yuri-bait coming-of-age drama, with a similar setup to Paripi Koumei and having Yorimoi themes/vibes.

YuukiTheFlashApr 6, 4:41 PM
Apr 6, 4:36 PM
May 2023
ShadowGG said:
Love hidives dogshit app where you can’t read the last 30 seconds because of the “next episode” thats not even out

The subtitles aren’t even out for me yet
Apr 6, 4:37 PM

Oct 2014
As far as animation, narrative, music and voicing, everything is top notch, but

hmm... it lacked charm? the way the dialogue is written in the first 10 minutes or so was too... J-Drama-like (or maybe: it sounds too much like a collection of some random animated ads in JP, if you've seen Nissin ads, etc. I did drop Jaku-chara, tho, so maybe there's an issue on that part for me, personally),
and they went really overblown with showcasing all the animation that, I can't find myself falling in love with the characters immediately (altho I can see the setup, so yeah we'll see how this goes.)
It feels like those moments where every department of this anime creative team wants to showcase their skills and the director really eggs on showcasing the skills of his very talented staff, and it ends up not synchronizing at all as it forgets the old saying: "The whole is more than the sum of its parts.

or idk. maybe because IT IS TOO CLEAN! that things don't feel as... interesting, for me.

I'll keep watching, tho, since yeah this is clearly something they put quite a bit of effort into, and despite my complains here, at the minimum it is interesting. (Taka8 and her character kinda saved it, yeah)
Maybe, once we get to the middle episodes, and they can't splurge so much sakuga at the same time, things will be paced better.
Revvie-chanApr 6, 4:43 PM
Apr 6, 4:41 PM

Aug 2015
Was okay. Felt like it was kind of odd how they went into deep discussion after literally just meeting, but visuals were nice.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 6, 4:56 PM
May 2022
After the disappointments of other original anime Metallic Rogue and Bucchigiri, it seems this one might actually be good? I don’t want to get my hopes up though but the direction and animation was really good here. Looking forward to more.
Apr 6, 5:17 PM
Mar 2023
I loved it, hopefully the rest will be just as great
Apr 6, 5:22 PM

Jan 2020
This episode was good and cute to watch! Doga Kobo has nailed our expectations with their animation once again, even for an original anime series like this.

I can't wait to see more content from this show!

Apr 6, 5:25 PM
Nov 2019
Actually teared up watching this, exactly my kinda vibe. Can't wait to see where the girls go
Apr 6, 5:37 PM
Jun 2021
I honestly loved this first episode!

I really liked the theme of excepting yourself and doing what makes you happy, even if it’s not accepted by others.

I like the music so far, and the animation was stunning.

The characters are also likable, and the dynamic between yoru and kano is cute.

If it continues like this, it could be one of my favorites this season! Overall, this ep was an 8/10.
Apr 6, 5:41 PM
May 2023
anime impecável. cenas lindas e ambientação muito bem feita parece ate um filme
Apr 6, 5:42 PM

Dec 2022
WOW that felt great. holy moly. art and animation? amazing. plot and music? very promising. aesthetic? god tier.
HOT DAMN this is it right here this what is the stuff I've been waitin for
Apr 6, 6:02 PM
Jan 2020
I'm crying, this is too good. Ryouhei Takeshita you are my god (None other than Eromanga-Sensei's Director lmao)
RonninnApr 6, 6:07 PM
Apr 6, 6:02 PM
Jun 2023
Reply to Marinate1016
“Jellyfish can’t swim on their own”

A year on from the masterclass that was Oshi no Ko’s premiere, Doga Kobo are back with an ethereal and masterful premiere of their latest anime original. The best we’ve seen yet by far. Not only are the direction and production values the best of the season so far, but the character interactions, Yuri vibes and general message of pursuing your dreams and creative endeavours is so well done.

In just one episode, I feel like I’ve come to know Kano and Yoru so well, and you can feel that from the characters as well with how their relationship evolved over the course of the episode. This almost felt like one season worth of development in 25 minutes if that makes sense. Not in a bad sense, but the episode had a clear beginning middle and end and told a nice prologue esque story.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the similarities to this and Sorayori/ A place further than the universe. It’s clear the staff took some inspiration from that lovely series which I couldn’t be happier about since it’s amazing. The use of establishing shots, introspective monologue and clever use of motion just makes this show feel so lively.

It honestly feels like those anime music videos to songs like a “Colors” by Sawano or Shelter by Porter Robinson. I hope this isn’t just for the premiere and that the quality stays the same throughout. There’s people from SHAFT, Cloverworks and even trigger I saw listed in the credits so the talent is certainly there.

“If I’m around you, maybe I’ll be able to shine too” 😮‍💨 that last 4 minutes or so with Kano’s performance and the running scene was just special. If they keep this up, we got an all timer on our hands. Can’t wait to see where their relationship goes.
@Marinate1016

Marinate1016 said:
In just one episode, I feel like I’ve come to know Kano and Yoru so well, and you can feel that from the characters as well with how their relationship evolved over the course of the episode. This almost felt like one season worth of development in 25 minutes if that makes sense. Not in a bad sense, but the episode had a clear beginning middle and end and told a nice prologue esque story

I don't think I could of put it any better myself. I had high expectations with Yuki Yaku doing the script and he has delivered so far with this first episode.

Doga Kobo continues to stand out as a studio between this and Oshi No Ko. Hopefully they keep it up throughout the season. Looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 6, 6:30 PM
Nov 2022
I didn't expect it to be this good. Love the animation and character design. Hope it turns out to be a great anime
Apr 6, 6:53 PM
Mar 2023
The episode was very good, seeing the nightlife of Shibuya is a big plus, and possibly better chapters are coming, so I will keep an eye on their progress.
Apr 6, 7:08 PM

May 2021
Full of colors and music, I liked the themes of this anime. We learned something new about jellyfish ahah. We have high expectations that this anime will teach us something great.
Both characters are very captivating, eager to follow their evolution.

Apr 6, 7:19 PM

Apr 2020
Very colorful and bright colored composition. I really like the night setting it gives in. And the casts are also no kaleng-kaleng
Apr 6, 7:26 PM

Jun 2019
Looks interesting. So basically a modern jpop artist story. Maybe an utaite, a vocaloid producer? Yeah those artists with anime profile pics and MVs and standard jpop songs.
Apr 6, 7:30 PM
Aug 2022
Like many others, I watch every trailer for the season, and then try to give as many shows as possible a chance.

Somehow I don't even remember watching a trailer for this show, but I randomly decided to click on it and I'm so glad I did, it's incredibly heartwarming and beautifully written and animated. Can't wait for more!

Apr 6, 7:55 PM

Sep 2016
The subs is by far the worst this season. amazing that this happens to my most anticipated anime this season. gotta watch it raw.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 6, 8:03 PM

Jan 2016
Reply to Levi1108
Ryushindai said:
I was going to watch this just because of the studio and the VAs lineup even if the story was pretty bad but wow, 1 episode is all it took to fully develop a character and get me emotionaly invested in her... They did an amazing job!

The visuals and animation in this what in the world... it's so stunning and beatiful, not to talk about the camera work

Also is this a collab with Doga Kobo, ufotable, Clover Works and SHAFT?? I saw the names in the credits in the 仕上げ (finishing) part. If so that's an insane lineup holy shoot

The studios often have some help with other studios in some of the aspects. There was Production IG in there too. I swear Production IG is always involved in many shows. I've seen its name in the credits of shows that are adapted by other studios so many times. They're always there, especially in some of the big shows.

Anyways, it isn't really that big of a deal. It's pretty normal and happens almost all the time.
@Levi1108 Oh makes sense, ty for the explanation. I never check the credits usually but seeing these big names there got me so surprised lol
And all of those studios are known for having the most beautiful coloring too.. got hyped for nothing haha
Apr 6, 8:06 PM

Nov 2012
Ryohei Takeshita's visual style very obvious throughout this episode, also getting some SoraYori vibes from this.

Still not entirely sold but this was a good first episode.
Apr 6, 8:08 PM

Sep 2023
Doga Kobo took a look at this season's boomer anime line up and said "zoomers have rights too".

GOAT anime studio
Apr 6, 8:14 PM
Jun 2020
I love this first episode and look forward for more!
Apr 6, 8:24 PM
May 2023
And now that I have subtitles. I can finally comment:

Idk what it is about the dialogue but the characters feel like they’re actually talking to each other. I haven’t experienced anything like it since gridman
Apr 6, 8:49 PM

Nov 2010
  • If you think outcomes you made calmly, it's hard to brag about them.
  • When I hear "street performance", still this comes first.

kuroneko99Apr 6, 8:59 PM
Apr 6, 9:35 PM

Nov 2023
I'm liking it a lot so far, and I hope that continues.

The visuals are colorful, the cast seems great so far, and the music sounds good.
Apr 6, 9:37 PM
Dec 2023
It reminds me of beat and motion where a guy stops drawing because he gets made fun of and then meets a girl who convinces him to start drawing again
Apr 6, 9:37 PM

May 2019
NGL one of the main reasons I'm watching this in the first place is because the studio behind this is Doga Kobo but on it's own this had a good start. On that note Kano seems to be the more confident one which has already helped out Mahiru and there should be 2 more girls joining the group.

Also, Mahiru's Halloween costume was well done.
Apr 6, 9:55 PM

Nov 2023
It's a great first episode.

One of my fav studio's work.

That's enough for me. ^_^
PinoffinApr 6, 10:50 PM

I know people make promises all the time
Then they turn right around and break them
When someone cuts your heart open with a knife, now you're bleeding
But I could be that guy to heal it over time
And I won't stop until you believe it
'Cause baby you're worth it
Apr 6, 10:01 PM
Jul 2022
Ryushindai said:
@Levi1108 Oh makes sense, ty for the explanation. I never check the credits usually but seeing these big names there got me so surprised lol
And all of those studios are known for having the most beautiful coloring too.. got hyped for nothing haha

Yeah, no problem.
Apr 6, 11:26 PM

Jul 2021
Oh they're up to the date with nowadays trend. That's cool. Hope the animation stays more or less the same because the direction is quite fascinating. Just that idk about the characters, could make or break midway through. First solid episode.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 6, 11:36 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Seansy
@Marinate1016

Marinate1016 said:
In just one episode, I feel like I’ve come to know Kano and Yoru so well, and you can feel that from the characters as well with how their relationship evolved over the course of the episode. This almost felt like one season worth of development in 25 minutes if that makes sense. Not in a bad sense, but the episode had a clear beginning middle and end and told a nice prologue esque story

I don't think I could of put it any better myself. I had high expectations with Yuki Yaku doing the script and he has delivered so far with this first episode.

Doga Kobo continues to stand out as a studio between this and Oshi No Ko. Hopefully they keep it up throughout the season. Looking forward to the next episode!
@Seansy Stop calling Doga Kobo an "Oshi no Ko studio". This is not their first or only impressive hit. Also, as far as I can see, Yaku only wrote the script, while the creator of the show was another person.

@YuukiTheFlash It still amazes me how easily people can call something yuri/yuri bait after just one episode. But at least you don't look for it so much that you call the mere fact of "yuri vibes" proof of the show's quality, lol. It’s best to wait for at least the first three to draw such conclusions, not to mention the fact that the shows you’re comparing this to didn’t have any romance at all. I don't think I need to explain to you what yuri bait really is, considering you're a huge Hibike fan.
RobertBobertApr 6, 11:59 PM
Apr 7, 12:09 AM
Mar 2022
CQLLIST said:
Oh they're up to the date with nowadays trend. That's cool. Hope the animation stays more or less the same because the direction is quite fascinating. Just that idk about the characters, could make or break midway through. First solid episode.

Apparently the production for the entire show is over, so the animation quality shouldn't drop at all!
Apr 7, 12:44 AM
Apr 2022
BRUH THIS IS LIKE BOCCHI THE ROCK + WONDER EGG PRIO ! IMMA SIT HERE AND FINISH THIS SERIES!!
Apr 7, 12:55 AM

Mar 2023
We're eating good this season. Aside from trying to do some continuous shots that didn't work, both the writing and animation were very good for a first episode
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Pinoffin - Jun 1

188 by mtfunky »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 18

124 by mtfunky »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kano or Mahiru? Episode 9 Poll ( 1 2 )

Royalty459 - Jun 2

53 by Hitotsuhan »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 4

221 by Ichigo_Magic »»
11 hours ago

» Fanservice In Ep 1

Comet1 - May 21

26 by Crimpstin »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.