Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 13, 2020 3:30 PM

Feb 2020
i noted that we don't often see gendo's eyes, his glasses are always reflecting light so his eyes are covered, and when we do see them the lenses are red so we don't see them directly. subtle

i knew nerv had something to do with the angels and i was right!! and the way adam has been pinned up like a crucifixion, continuing the religious imagery.

(what if gendo is trying to turn rei into an angel? it would make sense to try using a blank slate as it were, and that's basically what he has made rei. maybe it's as some form of advancing the human race? he keeps mentioning how fallible humans are...)

and i like the way the show balances action and intrigue with character studies too, it always stays engaging. still don't like kaji that much though
Jul 22, 2020 11:35 PM

Jul 2017
Just my thought, seems like Ayanami Rei is actually Shinji's mother, Ikari Yui. His father uses her dead body to make a "perfect human", and he disguises it with Rei as the first child. That's why when Shinji said that Rei looks like a mother, she blushed, because part of her body remembered the sensation as a mother.
Jul 26, 2020 3:32 AM

Sep 2015
After introducing us to "the most uncalled-for slap in anime history" earlier, now we are introduced to "The most uncalled-for kiss in anime history". That was so uncomfortable to watch.
Oct 3, 2020 6:37 PM

Apr 2020
We got an actual kiss with Kaji and Misato and then a kiss between Asuka and Shinji, I knew she was going to puke or something.

If there is an Adam, there is probably going to be an Eve I'm guessing.
--AbiSa--
Oct 11, 2020 5:35 AM

Aug 2018
Damn it, my man Shinji was so lucky once again but missed even bigger oppotunities as always, I guess maturing while being a teen is a tought process than we all can relate too.

Eh good good episode I guess, no serious action this time of course, but I'm not complaining at all
Oct 25, 2020 12:33 AM

Jun 2020
damn, misato & kaiji's relationship hits close to home, dem feeeelsssss

the scene where they are walking home & talking brought tears to my eyes. all too familiar a scene.

gendo is a really interesting character. the scene with shinji at his mum's gravestone makes me feel so sad for him. i wish he wouldn't crave for his father's love. also adam looks horrifying. brilliant episode, ugh i love NGE

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 4, 2020 3:27 AM

Dec 2012
Gendo.
Kaji.
kaji is investigating Nerv.
Asuka message. lol
A date?
Damn! Dat smack.
Misato going to a wedding.
Shinji and Rei.
A mother? Rei blushes.
Asuka and Pen Pen chilling.
Shinji will be seeing his mother?
Ikari Yui. 27 years old.
Gendo threw away everything.
Rei in the plane.
Shinji nice with it.
lol at Pen Pen peeking out.
Misato, Ritsuko, and Kaji.
WTF is happening in that alley?
Asuka asks Shinji the question.
lol at Asuka asking Shinji if he brushed his teeth.
Dat kiss.
Shinji changing color.
lol at Pen Pen.
Misato and Kaji arrive.
Rei's not in class.
Rei in a tube. Gendo.
Kaji. A gun pointed at his head. Its Misato.
WTF is that?
Adam? The first Angel.
Dat ending.

We're back to having fanservice in the next episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 11, 2020 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
(re-watching)

Misato and Kaji's whole scene that ends with the stolen kiss: "Oh, so passionate, so beautiful, brought me to tears!"

Shinji and Asuka's coldly agreed kiss to save them from boredom: "................................................"

Also: "Penpen is the best character! Poor penguin which has to deal with those people daily..."
Jan 2, 2021 9:01 PM

Aug 2019
jesus christ this episode was an absolute roller coaster this time. Shinji and his father going to his mothers grave definitely hit the feels, although they have such an, awkward relationship, at least there they can kinda feel like family.

Rei blush was good for my heart, felt my life expectancy extend by a few years from that lone. Funnily enough it did take a few seconds for me to realise that, "oh shit, she's actually blushing" 10/10 i loved it.

Extremely, unsure what to say about Asuka suddenly pouncing on my boy Shinji. Just, nice good for them, if this is Asuka's way to pass the time, then i'll be damned.

Huh, so Kaji works for NERV, but also works as an Investigator of NERV under SEELE. Interesting shit. However, if what Commander Ikari is linked to him, then dosen't he already knows Kaji is investigating NERV?

Then that ending, that was a lot to take in. Rei being in a massive contraption with funky writing on the floor (that looks a lot like the ones in the OP) is raising a lot of flags. Adam, sure has grown up since we last saw him huh, i really don't know how to describe what the fuck it is exactly, but nice.
Mar 9, 2021 11:13 PM

Mar 2010
Kaiji x Misato ftw. Asuka is annoying again. What they are doing with Rei?... That angel is creepy. Well Kaji is in a dangerous position. :(
StardewMar 9, 2021 11:21 PM
Mar 12, 2021 6:11 AM

Feb 2020
Ah yes. The kiss. I've seen that clip before I watched this episode

Adam is uh...interesting to say the least.

Also, Asuka going on a blind date? That's kinda random. I guess it's just a thing that was thrown in.
Mar 27, 2021 4:52 PM

Jun 2020
The best episode yet. I'd like more character driven episodes like this

Misato is best girl

Asuka has no redeeming qualities lmao add jealousy to the list

Shinji is best boi

And I'm interested in what Gendo is up to now
May 8, 2021 9:57 AM

Apr 2021
Kissing is weird

4/5
Jun 8, 2021 8:30 PM
Jul 2018
This is a pretty cool show but I have NOT been feeling the last three episodes. The angel infiltration episode honing in on the blonde scientist was a cool and unique avenue for the show to take, but it was also somewhat of a snoozefest. The last episode was half recap and half eHhHh. And then this episode, ugh. I love Misato, best girl for sure, but whatever the conflict she was facing in this episode WAS, I wasn't entertained. Regardless of her emotional turmoil, that kiss scene on the street (and her whole monologue) was just way too cheesy. I knew it'd end in a kiss. Also, I don't care how drunk Misato was, I think it was uncharacteristic of her to get so vulnerable around stubble dude. She's SUPPOSED to dislike him, he's SUPPOSED to be a player. And with zero gradient, they've up and abandoned that concept for this episode. I like the dramatic/adult/shonen-defying themes, and yet the episodes centered around Misato & Co. are just agonizingly slow. I think I really just prefer the Shinji scenes.

I binged episodes 1-12, but after 13 and 14, I've been apathetic to continue the show, and this episode made the feeling even worse.

Also, that kiss scene with Shinji and Asuka... also, really lame. The LAST kiss-related scene (at night, when Asuka presumably-accidentally fell asleep next to Shinji), when Shinji ALMOST kissed Asuka while his music was glitching out ~~ SUPER suspenseful scene, excellent execution. But in this episode, it was just WAY too forced.
Shinji's reason for going along with Asuka's request was justified -- he was annoyed because Asuka mocked his nature, she was kinda insensitive about his mom's death, so he's just like, ight bish let's go.
But Asuka, she never ceases to get on my nerves. Regardless of what inner turmoil SHE is facing, I don't think it could justify the scene. Because Asuka was bOrEd. (And I bet NGE fans will defend the scene by saying it's cHaRaCtEriZaTiOn.) But no, the scene didn't really work.
I think the icing on the cake was afterward. I can understand Asuka being bashful, but to act in the way she did after instigating the kiss -- washing her mouth and acting like a jerk to Shinji for the rest of the night. My man Chad-inji really held his ground though and handled it well. Bonus points for his cello solo.

Not the best episode, but the Shinji scenes were cool.

I'm not saying every episode needs to feature action/mecha/angels, although I really do enjoy the angels. -- Although I do admire this episode for 1. not being especially emotional-angsty, 2. being a chill breather episode that isn't too comedic or gag-filled.

4/10. Most lackluster episode, tied with the prior recap episode. Both preceded by the 5/10 infiltration episode. Otherwise, everything else has been 7+, or an average of 8.
Jun 9, 2021 10:58 PM

Dec 2015
AlexanderHD said:
Misato's SUPPOSED to dislike him, he's SUPPOSED to be a player.
Also, that kiss scene with Shinji and Asuka... Shinji's reason for going along with Asuka's request was justified -- he was annoyed because Asuka mocked his nature.
Because Asuka was bOrEd. (And I bet NGE fans will defend the scene by saying it's cHaRaCtEriZaTiOn.)

Yes, she is "supposed to". That's all.
And yes, Asuka makes for an easily irritating character for the audience (I will never stand the person) but it works as well as Shinji as a character. Why would the kiss proposition only be out of boredom ? Simply because she said so?
Rei_IIIJun 9, 2021 11:58 PM
Jun 10, 2021 3:16 AM

Apr 2020
Rei blushing was cute

That Adam thingy just gets weirder and weirder
Jul 25, 2021 6:51 AM
Jul 2021
Shinji making Rei blush and kissing Asuka. What a G.

Also his dad is still a piece of shit. Asuka bringing up his mom's death to get him to kiss her is a shitty move tbh. And Kaji's spy vibes finally paid off for me in this ep. Adam looks pretty fucked up so I'm excited to see what's to come from this. He's probably why the Angels have kept attacking Tokyo-3/Nerv HQ tbh.

Nov 10, 2021 5:37 AM

Aug 2020
So much happened in this episode. Can't wait to see what unfolds, especially Adam's reveal at the end.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Nov 20, 2021 12:28 PM
Jul 2020
I wonder if Adam's "Eve" is Rei... would make sense with a lot of her backstory
Nov 25, 2021 9:05 AM
Nov 2020
Really solid episode learned so much about everyone looking forward to more
Dec 15, 2021 10:03 PM

May 2019
Misato caught Kaji good there.

So many peeps working through their parental traumas in this show.

Oooh Adam is the first Angel and NERV has it. Wonder if Gendo or NERV started the whole second impact.
Jan 2, 2022 12:55 AM

Jun 2021
start of the epi is kind of normal and the flow the kissing scene is lol and some kind of change tbh but the last scene I was like bro wtf ADAM >< and there is the weapon that rei carried with her in the other scene totally confused lets see what happens next

🌸 DON'T GIVE UP UNTIL YOU REACH YOUR GOAL

🌸 SET BY - TheDeadmanII
Jan 3, 2022 8:14 AM

Jul 2021
Now that Kaji is going to show what they were hiding from Misato, how will she react? Will she help Kaji with the investigation? I think she will still seek to know more about the matter so that she makes a decision.
Apparently Asuka realized that Kaji is not interested in her and she is trying in different ways to forget about him. Whoever got lucky on this was Shinji who got a kiss from her. Lol
asdasdsadad
Jan 13, 2022 9:45 PM

Mar 2018
Now it feels like we're actually getting somewhere, wonder if the constant angel attacks has something to do with having the 1st angel within the base
Jan 25, 2022 8:52 AM

Jun 2021
waw
they kissed cuz they’re bored
deep fried lettuce

^i snitched this from a dude's forum signature^

Jan 27, 2022 5:51 AM

Jan 2021
That kiss scene was so unnecessary, clichey, weird and cringey. But its an old anime so I guess... can't really complain.

@animalia nah, it's a trope where male lead kisses the FMC when she's throwing a tantrum. Ostensibly, thats the 'only' way to stop them.
KiR4TJan 27, 2022 7:29 AM
Jan 27, 2022 7:23 AM
Oct 2011
Evolved_KiR4T said:
That kiss scene was so unnecessary, clichey, weird and cringey. But its an old anime so I guess... can't really complain.
I thought it was supposed to be cringey
Feb 4, 2022 7:50 AM

Feb 2021
Yo Kaji is an undercover spy! I thought he had been behind the scenes with Gendo.

Shinji and Gendo have a brief father-son moment. More light is shed on Misato and Kaji's past relationship. Idk why Shinji and Asuka kissed lol.

The last few seconds were really exhilarating. The first Angel, Adam is under NERV's Central Dogma system? The plot thickens.
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
"Everything I've witnessed... This whole system you have built has always rejected me. Now I'm ready to reject it. That's why I destroy. That's why I took this power for myself. Simple enough, yeah? I don't care if you don't understand... That's what makes us... Heroes and Villains."
◑ ━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━ ◐
Apr 8, 2022 6:00 PM

Dec 2021
so much to unravel, great character moments, amazing start to the 2nd half
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 14, 2022 4:52 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 22, 2022 2:38 AM

Oct 2020
There wasn't any Eva v. Angel action this episode, but I didn't even really notice, haha

I actually really like the development we're seeing between Misato and Kaji. In his first appearance, Kaji just seemed like the typical sleazy ex-boyfriend, but we've been learning a lot that's sort of humanized him in a sense? From their interactions, he's a cheeky guy, but he really loves Misato and wants the best for her. Misato just had some unresolved feelings towards her father that caused her to lash out at Kaji way back when.

In other news, Asuka is still ruthless as ever. Ditching her date because he was 'boring' and then kissing Shinji because she was bored shortly afterwards only to then turn around and hurt his feelings. I get that she's meant to be indecisive, but this is extreme. Even towards the end of the episode when she was visibly disappointed that Kaji smelled like Misato's perfume -- like was she actually expecting to get with him?

Anywho, we got to see what NERV's been hiding this whole time and jeez that was quite the shot.. They say it was Adam, so I guess that's the same Adam that was inside the briefcase but now it's grown somewhat?
And then to make things extra weird we see Rei in some type of LCL tube? There was a bunch of pipeage sprouting out from the tube she was in so does she create the LCL? Does she need it to survive? Is Gendo trying to increase her harmonics or something?
Jun 30, 2022 5:45 AM

Dec 2007
is it me, or the episodes getting better, from the goodness they became already? lol

shinji finally talked to his father. but noticed on the way rei was with him. that's why he probably felt to tell his father he was glad to talk to him.
speaking of rei, wonder if she's what made adam so big. connecting her to adam probably. or maybe it's the opposite?

asuke getting bored so she decide to kiss shinji. lol that was funny.

and misato is just another complex girl here lol.

Dealka97 said:
Just my thought, seems like Ayanami Rei is actually Shinji's mother, Ikari Yui. His father uses her dead body to make a "perfect human", and he disguises it with Rei as the first child. That's why when Shinji said that Rei looks like a mother, she blushed, because part of her body remembered the sensation as a mother.

that's a terrible thought O_O
User-NameJun 30, 2022 5:59 AM
Jul 1, 2022 9:13 AM
Jul 2022
first misato and kaji then shinji and asuka embarrassment then adam
i had a butterfly in my stomach
Sep 11, 2022 10:54 PM
Nov 2021
the kiss??? also kaiji and misato in the ally??? dawg what
Sep 14, 2022 9:18 AM
Jun 2022
kaydensdead said:
the kiss??? also kaiji and misato in the ally??? dawg what

It's not what you thought lol, Misato was throwing up in the ally
Sep 24, 2022 1:10 PM
Aug 2022
aaaaand the plot thickens. we find out kaji is like in this investigative thing and is sort of like a spy almost? that's interesting for sure. we finally learn who adam is, which turns out to be the first angel that has attacked and nerv is keeping it hidden.
rei is also kept in a test tube thing so i think my theory of her being experimented on holds up. hell, she might've been created in a lab, but not too sure yet.
that kiss scene between asuka and shinji was super weird but also kinda funny. also damn asuka, you're too young for kaji, calm down lmao.
Oct 7, 2022 5:52 AM
Oct 2022
are you shitting me, again. I cant believe this
Oct 8, 2022 12:24 PM

Jul 2022
goddamn that kiss was so unexpected.
Oct 11, 2022 10:30 AM
Jun 2021
This was a really good episode, seeing Shinji, Asuka, Misato, Kaji was really good and seeing Adam in the end
Oct 14, 2022 9:38 AM
Oct 2022
Best kissing technique I've ever seen, haha.
Oct 24, 2022 4:46 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
The best episode yet, and also the one that clearly gets the ball rolling.

Even if I end up really liking Evangelion (I actually didn't finish it the first time I watched it, dropped around episode 20 due to being bored for some reason), I think my favourite thing I'll take away from all this would probably have to be Misato's annoyed expressions

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 22, 2022 9:03 AM

Aug 2020
why does he get to kiss asuka and i dont. this world is so unfair.
Dec 13, 2022 3:32 PM
Aug 2020
The episode, once again, goes over parenthood. Escaping from one's parents vs. trying to endear to them.

also some crazy religious imagery at the end with Adam being literally crucified in Nerv. Kind of confused about how the biblical interpretations of this show are developing.
Dec 31, 2022 12:33 AM

Jul 2021
asuka was so rude there lmao. imagine a girl kissing you and then immediately going and rigrously rinsing her mouth. no idea how shinji got over that.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 31, 2022 9:02 PM

Jan 2022
There's so much going on in this episode. Number of things that have always stood out to me were Shinji and his cello playing. It's very representative of who he is up to this point and does a good job of pointing out his lack of personal agency. Shinji never really choses to do anything and kind of seems like he's just doing whatever people expect of him or tell him to. Was his decision to see his father even his own? Or did he just go because Miss Misato told him to.

And oh boy Asuka. The girl clearly wants Shinji but again the boy got no self initiative so you can't really blame him for not swooping her off her feet for a passionate round of love making.

We also hear it straight from the horses mouth about the Guilt and hypocrisy Misato feels in her relationship with Shinji. How can she play the part of a mother when deep down she's the same scared little child?
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 13, 2023 11:45 AM

Nov 2020
W Shinji. W Evas. W everything. W Rei.
Jan 22, 2023 2:24 PM

Dec 2010
Gendou sending off his son with "I see", but smiling at Rei. Even considering spoiler territory, how can he put her above Shinji so badly? 
Jan 30, 2023 11:36 PM

Mar 2016
Holy shit! I guess this is meant to be the point NGE 'REALLY' get's started :O

Misato having a bit of a mid-life crisis with that wedding and post-drinking party. Guessing it's the rather iffy Japanese wedding custom. Can't deny an invite, and HAVE to bring a monetary gift for the couple (think it's a sizeable amount too). It also gave quite the whiplash on my opinion of Kaji. He's clearly up to something with Ikari, then suddenly he's a dirty double-agent, then whip again he's letting Misato see a deep NERV secret. The faction lines are getting very blurry right now.

Hopefully something willl come of it later, because even for Asuka...that was beyond weird. Intent on kissing Shinji, out of 'boredom', was so intent on it that she made him hold his breath, held the kiss so he was on the point of oxygen deprivation......and then ran to the bathroom to wash her mouth out several times. I get she's the tsundere, but wtf?!

Quickly found out what Rei was up to with that spear last episode quite quickly. Seems that ADAM embryo hatched and now Ikari has it properly hung up like Jesus...complete with Spear of Longinus in it's side. Question now is whether that angel is actually dead, or alive and restrained.
Really don't know whether Rei actually doesn't know much about Ikari or whether she really was lying to Shinji. Because that weird tube setup with her connected to that giant spine. We got a little smile from her AND Ikari. She knows something and there is even the possibility that she isn't all human. Are these 'Children' supposed to be humans who are closer genetically to angels than others? They're all born just after Second Impact after all, at a time when the Earth's ecosystem was all messed up.
Feb 21, 2023 1:46 PM
Jul 2022
misato literally me very nice
May 13, 2023 6:57 AM
Nov 2022
This is my 2nd favorite episode. the dynamic between katsuragi and kaiji was perfect in this episode and the moment with shinji and his father were great as well. There still hasn’t been a perfect episode yet, but this series is turning out really good!
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

192 by menacce »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

207 by menacce »»
Yesterday, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

221 by Pakutto »»
Yesterday, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

219 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 3:33 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - Feb 7, 2008

199 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 2:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.