Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any characters in the top 100 favourited on MAL that you just don't understand why people like them so much?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 4, 1:43 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Zedlin
Don't think I've looked at the top 100 character lists before... Let's see...

Top 10 makes sense from a popularity standpoint, though all of them being male characters is a tad surprising where be the waifus?

Who tf is Osamu Dazai? One of only two characters I didn't recognize. Kiyotaka Ayanokouji being the second. The only other character I'm interested to see in the top 50 is Alucard. Weird to think he's that popular?
Zedlin said:
Who tf is Osamu Dazai?

He is the hack who wrote Run Melos and No Longer Human.
https://myanimelist.net/people/9154/Osamu_Dazai
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai
その目だれの目?
Jan 4, 1:47 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to Lucifrost
Zedlin said:
Who tf is Osamu Dazai?

He is the hack who wrote Run Melos and No Longer Human.
https://myanimelist.net/people/9154/Osamu_Dazai
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai
@Lucifrost
I meant the character from Bungou Stray Dogs, he's in the top 50. Osamu Dazai. I know the author lol.
Jan 4, 2:43 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to Zedlin
@Lucifrost
I meant the character from Bungou Stray Dogs, he's in the top 50. Osamu Dazai. I know the author lol.
@Zedlin

I've heard of both but somehow never managed to connect the dots that they shared the same name. I remember Dazai standing out in the show from the rest of the cast fairly prominently and I think he might have some sex appeal to the male-interested viewers.
Jan 4, 2:48 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Uksi
@Zedlin

I've heard of both but somehow never managed to connect the dots that they shared the same name. I remember Dazai standing out in the show from the rest of the cast fairly prominently and I think he might have some sex appeal to the male-interested viewers.
@Uksi
I believe everyone in Bungou Stray Dogs is named after a real person. Rather than the popularity of any specific character, I'm surprised people like the show at all.
その目だれの目?
Jan 4, 8:54 PM

Mar 2013
If you genuinely think that Ayanokoji is a "badass" character and like him, then keep on liking him. To me, he is among the biggest mysteries alongside Zero-Two as to why they have such a fanbase.

So here is my issue preventing me from understanding him. Ayanokoji is often called "badass" because of how capable he is portrayed in Classroom of the Elite. He can pull off big-brain power plays and knows martial arts, among other abilities. The thing I do not understand is why this makes him a badass. He is a completely fictional character. This is not the biography of a man who became an astronaut after becoming a Navy Seal and graduating from MIT, someone subjected to all the rigors and laws of physics in the real world. This is a completely imaginary person, a work of fiction.

So say I made a character right now called Ayanokuji, and I write him to be a complete badass, he graduated from MIT at 18 and is a master swordsmen who saves women in Japan while running the goverment and feeding the homeless. Why are any of you reading dropping to your knees and worshipping this completely fictional man god I just typed up? The thing with Ayanokuji is that he is just not interesting to me, being functionally more a self-insert than a character with anything interesting to say or even contribute to the narrative in terms of a personality and goals, at least from what I have watched of season 1. He is completely monotone and without emotions.

Some people say that these traits are what make him so interesting, but I disagree. He does not simply come across as detached or as psychopathic as the narrative says he is, but ultimately disinterested, which brings me to my final point. If your lead does not appear to give a shit about what is happening, why should the audience? I find him to be a very juvenile understanding of what being a "badass" is.

To me, badass characters are not infallible, they suffer and they fall but persist in spite of the emotional and physical hurdles of their journey. On the other hand, Ayanokuji does not appear to struggle with his goals at all, physically or emotionally, and I find that so awfully boring and hard to relate to. This anime is just not for me.

Bonus round:

I also have similar issues with Jabami from Kakegurui, though she is ranked in the top 200 (189, to be precise)
Jan 4, 9:20 PM
Feb 2021
I don't like kirito from SAO huhuhu I don't know why everyone like him so much
Jan 4, 9:36 PM
Nov 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
@OmegaOtaku They are both very popular characters, but I have a strong suspicion that Emilia's recent surge in popularity was the result of some kind of flash mob. The franchise hasn't had any logical boost lately for any character to suddenly jump 50+ spots into the top favorites.
@RobertBobert I reread the novels after season 3 was announced and I just realized how much I like Emilia's character, maybe it's the same for other people
JP88Jan 4, 9:44 PM
Jan 4, 10:32 PM
May 2012
For all of them I have seen various forms of tributes by fans over the years.
I think Bakugo is the only one out of place.
Jan 4, 11:08 PM

Jan 2012
Haruhi without a doubt.
Seriosuly, the girl is awul yet she´s apparantly one of the 00s most iconic anime girls lol
How I love a game
Jan 5, 12:43 AM

Jun 2021
Expected the wonderful Haruhi Suzumiya out of the top 100 (my top 10 characters had no chances to appear except for her and i was very aware of it) but at least not too out. Still best girl for me after all those years. Oh wait, Onizuka is in top 100. "GREAT!" (also good to meet Gintoki currently at 12th place)

Bakugo... i really disliked him but also saw season 1 only of MHA so... Taiga that high? Don't hate her but i just finished watching that series and it seemed overhyped. At least there aren't a lot of characters that put me totally off from seeing their series because of being everywhere (especially as cosplayed) and looking annoying (revy unfortunately is there, but at least there isn't anya)
Jan 5, 1:08 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to JP88
@RobertBobert I reread the novels after season 3 was announced and I just realized how much I like Emilia's character, maybe it's the same for other people
@JP88 This was before the announcement of the third season and still does not explain such a huge and fast boost of NEW people. I've been in the fandom since 2016 and I know that Emilia and Rem were already favorites for most fans. It just came out of nowhere.
Jan 5, 1:08 AM

May 2019
I feel like this is quite a controversial opinion but Taiga, I'm just very tired of the violent tsundere trope and really don't enjoy seeing a nice character get treated awfully. I mean I don't mind tsunderes overall and normally don't correlate anime with real life stuff at all but for some reason Taiga made me go "if that happened in real life I don't think ppl would just stand by and laugh".

Also Mai from bunny girl senpai, I just kinda forgot about her existence cuz she felt just very basic to me.
Just a mere Senku & Sukuna simp enjoying life & slice of life!

Jan 5, 1:17 AM

Feb 2018
I’ll give you Ichigo, but I don’t know how you could possibly not see the appeal of Ayanokouji. He’s one of the most “self-insert” protagonist in modern anime.
Jan 5, 4:41 AM

Jun 2016
I just opened and saw the list for the first time since 2019. It's still pretty much the same. The only thing that boogles my mind is how every character now has a crazy number of favorites. Last time I checked the #1 had only around 50k.

Jan 5, 5:11 AM
Jan 2021
Reply to Berserk127
I don't understand why a lot of people love Levi from Attack on Titan, especially girls 🤔
@Mayuta_Zero well he's cool that's why everyone loves him not just girls
Jan 5, 5:46 AM

Jun 2011
Every other characters on the top 100 list, I could somewhat see the appeal, except for one character, Katsuki Bakugou. He's annoying, he's abusive, he's not even a great character, what exactly is his appeal?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 5, 7:50 AM

Jan 2021
Mikasa always seemed lame to me, she is just plain strong and her only characteristic is how she is madly in love with Eren.

I don't like how she looks, her character is bland, voice not memorable....
Jan 5, 9:03 AM

Sep 2014
Reply to epidemia78
Emilia really doesnt belong anywhere near the top 100. Neither does Rem for that matter but at least she has some moments. Emilia is just bland.
@epidemia78 Heh. At least Emilia doesn't have the stupid haircut Rem has.
Jan 5, 9:22 AM

Nov 2023
"Are there any characters in the top 100 favourited on MAL that you just don't understand why people like them so much?"

Yes, Makima. I have read and caught up the manga but still Idk why she in top 50.

I know people make promises all the time
Then they turn right around and break them
When someone cuts your heart open with a knife, now you're bleeding
But I could be that guy to heal it over time
And I won't stop until you believe it
'Cause baby you're worth it
Jan 5, 9:29 AM
Apr 2014
Not at all, just within expectations. However I am surprised to see Thorfinn there. Not saying he shouldn't be, just surprised to see he's that popular in this site.
Jan 5, 1:52 PM

Jun 2020
Most of the top 100 I get why they are there, the list is a popularity contest afterall, but I dont really agree with the placement of each character at the top 100.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Jan 6, 4:11 AM
Oct 2016
Nakano Itsuki being the highest of the Nakano girls is... interesting to say the least.
Not that I dislike her or anything, but she's pretty bland compared to the other 4.
Jan 6, 4:22 AM

May 2021
Subaru from RE0. Why tf is this walking L here
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

101 by Lost_Viking »»
1 minute ago

» What anime character has the most annoying/toxic haters? ( 1 2 3 )

Adimus_prime - Mar 8, 2021

134 by phantom346 »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - Today

26 by Serafos »»
18 minutes ago

» Who is your first and second favorite Jujutsu Kaisen character and why?

Inner_Dragon - Yesterday

17 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
1 hour ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

44 by PeripheralVision »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.