Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Jan 21, 2020 12:17 AM
Dec 2019
L Death is one the Saddest moments 😔😦😣
Feb 12, 2020 6:10 AM

Dec 2012
The foot massaging scene means L lost/submission.

Apr 22, 2020 7:51 AM

Sep 2019
I've seen a lot of people here explaining the foot massage scene, but could someone PLEASE explain a bit more about the scene where misa just started singing like a creepy doll for no reason
one piece
episode 321
15:46 (or 16:33)
you're welcome
Apr 22, 2020 9:56 AM

Jul 2019
shuu-tsukiyama said:
I've seen a lot of people here explaining the foot massage scene, but could someone PLEASE explain a bit more about the scene where misa just started singing like a creepy doll for no reason
Maybe you should make a thread asking that question because episode discussion of last to last decade's anime is not that much active usually even if it's top popular on MAL.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Apr 22, 2020 10:11 AM

Sep 2019
puneetsingh said:
shuu-tsukiyama said:
Maybe you should make a thread asking that question because episode discussion of last to last decade's anime is not that much active usually even if it's top popular on MAL.
ah, you're right. thnx
one piece
episode 321
15:46 (or 16:33)
you're welcome
May 24, 2020 8:39 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Ok so Light is fully embrwcing the God complex. I don't think L is really gone, I'm not sure what sort of plan was made but with quite a few episodes left I feel like there's more L to come.
Jun 14, 2020 7:04 PM
Jun 2020
Can't believe that's how L died. This whole time I was waiting him to bust Light's conceded ass and bring him to justice. How are the rest of the episodes gonna play out without anyone investigating light.

the whole footrub scene was dumb
Jul 16, 2020 3:08 AM

Jun 2020
i knew ryuzaki was gna die but this episode was still so shocking ☹☹ end of an era

so bummed was glad that the yotsuba arc was done & was enjoying the interactions of the trio but....that’s all over now

also loved the foot scene and its allusion, that was amazing (and sad)

i watched the live action films when i was younger and i remember in them L died from writing his own name in the death note or something, that seemed way more epic & a much better node to such a smart & important character. rem being the one killing him just feels so....mehhh... like was that necessary..... even if he proved the 13 day rule was fake it wouldn’t immediately indict misa & light methinks, it just felt like they just had to kill off ryuzaki to make the next arc work

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 31, 2020 3:35 PM
Jul 2020
So halfway through the episode, I was like wow that's pretty random lol. After that, I cried. My raggedy child is dead.
Nov 27, 2020 9:55 AM
Aug 2020
Danger00Noodle said:
So halfway through the episode, I was like wow that's pretty random lol. After that, I cried. My raggedy child is dead.

Me too... I was still pretty confused when Watari started to die, but the minute L started gasping and choking, I had to pause the anime and collect myself because I was getting so upset.

Ah, man. I haven’t read the manga or any spoilers for the show, so I had no idea this was coming and I’m genuinely confused as to how there are still gonna be 12 episodes without L. If L couldn’t stop Light, who can?
Jan 6, 2021 3:12 PM

Jan 2020
foot massage.. was sorta weird.
but overall good episode. death note don't let me down now.

didn't make me cry though. L wasn't a character that would be considered a favorite to me. or something that i felt bad for.
im more on evil light's side for some reason.
Jan 6, 2021 3:50 PM

Dec 2007
LoloChxn said:

didn't make me cry though. L wasn't a character that would be considered a favorite to me. or something that i felt bad for.
well though i loved light more, L death is still one of the dramatic moments in the anime for me, it done much better than in the manga
Jan 6, 2021 3:58 PM
Jan 2021
This episode was weird but really sad , i dont expect L was death amean im criyng of this moment but was an really good episode
Jan 6, 2021 4:46 PM

Jan 2020
User-Name said:
LoloChxn said:

well though i loved light more, L death is still one of the dramatic moments in the anime for me, it done much better than in the manga

yeah light is a much better character imo. (only when he is evil/when he was normal when the anime first started). he's just idk a better character.
L isn't really a character that interested me much. i just want to know his backstory, and that's about it. i do like L's character design as well.
Jan 6, 2021 5:18 PM

Dec 2007
LoloChxn said:
User-Name said:

yeah light is a much better character imo. (only when he is evil/when he was normal when the anime first started). he's just idk a better character.
L isn't really a character that interested me much. i just want to know his backstory, and that's about it. i do like L's character design as well.
as i said, finally who understand why light character is so favourite.
i agree that L is interesting character, but in terms of ideology and development he's not get even close to light.

and about L's history, except for what is written in vol13-how to use manga there's not much about it, there's the novel about L, but except that ohba didn't really expand him so much.
Jan 6, 2021 6:08 PM

Jan 2020
User-Name said:
LoloChxn said:

i agree that L is interesting character, but in terms of ideology and development he's not get even close to light.

and about L's history, except for what is written in vol13-how to use manga there's not much about it, there's the novel about L, but except that ohba didn't really expand him so much.

oh, not much for L then.
tbh personally, i don't understand why L is really favorited.

Jan 6, 2021 6:14 PM

Dec 2007
LoloChxn said:
User-Name said:

oh, not much for L then.
tbh personally, i don't understand why L is really favorited.

i can understand why, though to like light more
Jan 7, 2021 7:30 PM

Mar 2020

This was a really well done episode though, I’ll give em that.
NOW WATCHING: Blue Exorcist (Season 3), Bungou Stray Dogs (Season 2), Delicious in Dungeon, Mashle (Season 2), The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio, Whisper Me a Love Song, Wind Breaker

Jan 12, 2021 3:37 PM

Aug 2020
I felt like I was watching some weird yaoi hentai during that foot rub scene.

Poor L. I kind of rooted for Light towards the beginning of the series, but he keeps making it harder and harder to be on his side.
Jan 31, 2021 10:11 AM

Jul 2017
The symbolism of L drying off and massaging Light's feet felt a bit forced for the sake of adding symbolism to the episode. I get why its there but the way it was inserted felt off with the rest of the episode.

Despite that, it was an excellent episode and Light finally checkmated L by having Rem be forced to commit suicide by writing names on her notebook to protect Misa. L came so close and the look on his eyes as he saw Light's maniacal smile and face that got the taste of victory over him and his instincts finally. L always knew that Light was somehow involved with the whole Kira business but when he finally got confirmation, he only just eternally fell asleep afterwards.

Overall, the Light-L era of Death Note was very good. The middle dragged a bit on with some unnecessary parts at times but the weaknesses of that portion was more than made up for by the ending few episodes. I'm not particularly excited for the rest of the series knowing how it does decline in quality big time with the final 12 episodes but for the first 25 episodes, I can definitely live with myself by giving it an 8/10. Thanks to Bakuman for making me want to see this show again, especially for these first 25 episodes.
Feb 25, 2021 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
L died! Light is evil!
Mar 16, 2021 6:34 AM
Feb 2018
So, rem is reincarnated to rezero now

Hahahaha
Mar 20, 2021 9:34 PM
Mar 2021
L giving Light a foot massage was so random, i was waiting for L to confess his love next hahah. In all seriousness though, this was a good episode
Mar 28, 2021 1:06 PM

Nov 2018
I must admit the anime's action is very good. The story's development so far generated powerful attachments and resentments toward either L or Light. So, when we come to this episode, those who watch are already emotionally tensed. The events trigger reactions so intense that you can no longer forget the scene, the episode, etc., not even after the series will have been over for a long time. My greatest respect for the creators 🙂!

When I watched episode 20, where Misa, L and Light formed a cheerful enthusiastic little group, I felt at the same time the joy of seeing the trio working together as good friends and the melancholy of anticipating that friendship's end once Kira was caught. If I should compare that episode with this one, first I would notice that at that time they were together in the same space, while now they are separated. I would also distinguish the distance that crept among them, the uneasiness in their communication, since they started to hide things from each other. In addition to these elements, I would sense a certain inner darkness too, especially at Misa and Light. It would be more like a deep sadness in L's case. Misa wears a special costume before using the death note, as if Misa, the one who kills, would not be herself, but a character, a role that she's playing. On the street, right before she begins her route, for a couple of seconds her eyes become lifeless. Light is more solitary, not that involved as before. Moreover, he is unusually suspicious of every remark or gesture of L. As for L, he acts like someone who understood that the party was over and now he must say farewell; to his own life too.

There are many details that got my attention when L and Light shared a short conversation in the rain and also after that, when L insisted to wipe Light's feet with a towel. First, I felt that L was saying goodbye. He was experiencing those moments like someone who knew they were its last. As he endeavored to retrieve L from the rain, from that place, atmosphere and thoughts, it felt like Light was an executioner communicating to the condemned that it was time that he accepted his fate. That was my primary perception. Then I had another impression. It seemed to me that L wanted to confess his affection for Light, something he was never able to do before. And it was then when I first doubted Light's total indifference (minutes 11:52, 13:12, 14:38 or 15:08). He obviously had a sad look. It felt like he regretted L, but it was inevitable that L was eliminated. L has certainly acted as a motivator for Light, even surprising him on many occasions. For Light, life would have become duller without L. But this loss was necessary so that Light could fulfill the role he had taken.

Many of those who commented on this episode interpreted L's gesture of wiping Light's feet as a sign of submission and acknowledgement of Light's victory. Some others talked about a parallel between L's gesture and Jesus' Final Supper. While I haven't thought about these things, I agree. I think what they said is true. But at the same time, I am more drawn by another interpretation: in every remark and gesture of L there is a final attempt, very subtle, of convincing Light to change his mind.

At the end, when L was about to give his last breath in Light's arms, Light's malicious smile and look were obviously meant to confirm L who was Kira and that Light had defeated him. Yet, I did wonder if in L's case Light was not confessing his Kira identity only to highlight his victory as he had done with Ray Pember or Naomi. I imagined that it may have also been a sign of respect for L. L had constantly suspected Light of being Kira, without obtaining all the necessary evidence. At least, Light allowed him to die with the confirmation that he had been right all along. For a passionate mystery-discoverer such as L, it must have brought some little comfort to die with the validation of their own theory. But then again, I may be speculating too much 😂.

To me this episode was primarily heart-breaking because L was forcing me to part with him, then it became shocking because I discovered myself incapable to accept L's death.
KonokoAsadaMar 28, 2021 1:11 PM
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Apr 3, 2021 7:30 PM
Jul 2018
This was a very weird episode that deviated from the ones we've seen so far. It reminds me of the first one... with the intense music and artsy direction. It's not just because L can see a Shinigami now -- and that fantasy has transversed reality -- but the direction of this episode was just really trippy. And yes, I attest most of it to the..... foot massage. That isn't to say the rest wasn't just as strange. The rain scene (which was really intense with the abrupt stop of music) to the Misa-Misa musical number.
UPDATE: The above comments were written before L's death. I knew he'd die eventually, but not THIS soon. Ohmylord
UPDATE 2: Oh damn, I'm back again:
The wiki actually states:

^ I didn't even interpret it that way. If the somber tone was to foreshadow L's death, it flew over my ignorant head. I just assumed the anime upped the theatrics because an arc had just ended and it was reminding the audience what kind of show Death Note is. Or that maybe the episode was implying there'd be some major character development for L. Not even when L told Light they'd be parting soon did I think it would take place in this episode...
Wooow, in retrospect, I feel like an idiot.

L's death -- while very well-executed -- was a bit anti-climactic tbh. I could feel the impact in the way the anime presented it, but I feel like L could have been utilized for the plot a bit longer. It seemed a bit abrupt and soon.

And maybe I'm a bit dense, but I was somewhat confused and had to rewatch the second half of the episode. Then confirm everything that had happened with Light's scheme and Rem by reading the wiki. What a calculating bastard. Light's a very interesting character, but it would have been amazing if he shed a tear, or SOMEthing. And showed a microscopic amount of sadness. Even I can understand why Light wants to create a perfect world without crime -- even if it means, you know, going to his extent -- but show some remorse my guy, L seemed to genuinely like you.

☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙❧☙

One final piece of trivia from the wiki, is that L rubbing Light's feet -- as unnecessary as I thought it was -- is actually an allusion to the betrayal of Jesus Christ. Jesus knew he was going to die soon, so he washed the feet of his disciples, and Judas's in the process. Similarly, Light cleaned the feet of the same person who betrayed him. Of course, both L and Light knew that they were enemies from the start... but still. Reading this trivia completely changed my view on the foot scene. It still wasn't necessary, but it turned from something random to something beautiful.
removed-userApr 3, 2021 8:13 PM
Apr 3, 2021 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
KonokoAsada said:
At the end, when L was about to give his last breath in Light's arms, Light's malicious smile and look were obviously meant to confirm L who was Kira and that Light had defeated him. Yet, I did wonder if in L's case Light was not confessing his Kira identity only to highlight his victory as he had done with Ray Pember or Naomi. I imagined that it may have also been a sign of respect for L. L had constantly suspected Light of being Kira, without obtaining all the necessary evidence. At least, Light allowed him to die with the confirmation that he had been right all along. For a passionate mystery-discoverer such as L, it must have brought some little comfort to die with the validation of their own theory. But then again, I may be speculating too much 😂.

Dang Konoko. I'm appalled to be running into you here. Small world. Considering how little you post on the forums and how long ago it was that you watched Death Note. Not to mention how little I post in the Death Note discussions. And yet you're the user above me lol

I always consult the Wiki/fandom website... even though the episode summaries are user-written, they're very thorough and serve as a means of confirming parts of the episode you're unsure of:
Interestingly, the summary states: "L stares up at Light, who grins devilishly. Realizing that he solved the case and his deduction was right all along, L's eyes close and he dies peacefully."

I really hope this is the truth, because in my prior comment I lambasted Light for being so ruthless. Maybe the anime deliberately tried to leave it up to the viewer the decide... so I'm just HOPING that in the Death Note universe, Light's "devilish grin" was to provide SOME sort of relief to L.
Although, this is something that's very hard to believe. We know Light's internal dialogue and intentions. Light was clearly very unfazed by L's death. But in this episode -- like during the roof and foot scene -- there was something neutral about Light. I don't know. I don't wanna think about it anymore. 😅😭

(The wiki also draws the connection to the Last Supper!)
removed-userApr 3, 2021 8:10 PM
Apr 3, 2021 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
Fun fact, this is the SECOND most commented Death Note forum, with 300+ comments. The MOST commented forum is the discussion for the final episode, with 700+.
removed-userApr 3, 2021 8:10 PM
Apr 4, 2021 12:47 PM

Nov 2018
AlexanderHD said:

Dang Konoko. I'm appalled to be running into you here. Small world. Considering how little you post on the forums and how long ago it was that you watched Death Note. Not to mention how little I post in the Death Note discussions. And yet you're the user above me lol

I always consult the Wiki/fandom website... even though the episode summaries are user-written, they're very thorough and serve as a means of confirming parts of the episode you're unsure of:
Interestingly, the summary states: "L stares up at Light, who grins devilishly. Realizing that he solved the case and his deduction was right all along, L's eyes close and he dies peacefully."

I really hope this is the truth, because in my prior comment I lambasted Light for being so ruthless. Maybe the anime deliberately tried to leave it up to the viewer the decide... so I'm just HOPING that in the Death Note universe, Light's "devilish grin" was to provide SOME sort of relief to L.
Although, this is something that's very hard to believe. We know Light's internal dialogue and intentions. Light was clearly very unfazed by L's death. But in this episode -- like during the roof and foot scene -- there was something neutral about Light. I don't know. I don't wanna think about it anymore. 😅😭

(The wiki also draws the connection to the Last Supper!)

Actually I intend to gradually increase my postings on the forums, but even then, there are little occasions when I have something to say. I first watched Death Note in 2018, but due to strong emotions experienced during my watch, I was left with a lot of uncertainties. As a result, I re-watched it last year to clarify myself. Most of my comments to Death Note were posted on the local site where I watched the series. After finishing it, I decided that I wanted to post my comments from episodes 25, 29 and 37 on MAL episodes forums too (of course after reading the others' comments first). But I started to do so only recently and I've only made this post so far🙂.

To be honest, I am aware that my opinion about Light providing some comfort to L before his death, could easily be just wishful thinking. I mostly agree with you that it is very unlikely, yet, after closely following Light's glances during this episode and some other episodes, I had a nagging feeling that he was not completely indifferent.

As for the reference to the Last Supper, I'm so glad that I read this forum's discussions too!! On the local site that I've used, nothing was mentioned about it. Frankly I've never thought about the feet rubbing scene this way, yet I do agree with the interpretation. Actually it emphasizes my own view that L cared about Light, although he knew Light was doing something wrong. Jesus washed his disciples feet knowing that Judas would betray Him. But not only Judas! The rest may have not sold Him, but they fled away from Him when Jesus was arrested, they hided and denied their association with Him. Jesus washed their feet because He cared about them despite their flaws.
KonokoAsadaApr 4, 2021 12:50 PM
"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Apr 5, 2021 1:05 AM
Apr 2021
To all death note and anime fans, i have the solution for you if you want to bring back a caracter to life !
Here is a Life book, inspired from the original death note, but this one allows you to bring anyone to life ^^'. Its on amazon!!

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Note-Inspired-Organized-Cosplay/dp/B091F5RVTX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B091F5RVTX&qid=1617608896&sr=8-1

PS : It wont really bring someone to life, but you can get it for fun
Apr 20, 2021 7:34 AM

Aug 2014
For this episode, which is pretty much the final episode of DN, I really would have wished if both Light and L caught each other: L gets killed and Light gets arrested. Like both won and both lost. But oh well, it was a fun journey

as for the anime

Episodes 1-17 = Great and captivating.

Episodes 18-23 = BORING, UNINTERESTING, FILLER, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Episodes 24-25 = Once again, great and captivating

Episodes 26-37 = NO ONE CARES
oooo3333Apr 20, 2021 12:06 PM
Apr 30, 2021 7:52 PM
Aug 2020
RIP L and Watari :'(
May 7, 2021 5:00 AM
May 2021
Oh man that was awesome the fort massage was like the story of Jesus and Juda ❤️
May 10, 2021 4:05 AM
Mar 2018
After 15 years... 15 goddamn years! This episode still hits me harder like it did back then (and it'll continue to do so).

L, my friend, you'll be remembered as the weirdest most intellectual bastard that any detective series has to offer. RIP.

P.S: Fok u light :)
May 22, 2021 3:59 PM
Mar 2020
I tought that this anime was a masterpiece and had high expectations it, but it turned to be just mediocre with many plotholes and non convincing events
First of all, Kira had no need to be aware of L , he could just continue his killing without doing all that shit trying to kill L, all he should do is just be aware of the cameras ...
L was just clueless, the mangaka didn't give him anything to be in the same level as light and that why their battle was meaningless or at least not captivating as Kira always had the upper hand in the battle
Mira affection for light was by no mean exaggerated, you can't expect that kind of behavior from an idol who are always aware of ppl
I can't understand Rem affection for Mira, why was she in love with her, i can't figure out the answer for that
I thought i will hype with the characters as i hyped with lelouch as they are one of the most loved ones, but i couldn't do that either
... i have still other point but i will stop her i will wright another one after watching the last episode
May 31, 2021 1:08 AM

Feb 2021
I...L really is dead....Light has no more obstacles now... Rem also sacrificed himself for the sake of Misa who might not last long enough. I don't know what to expect from this point on.

Jun 6, 2021 4:49 AM

Nov 2020
Tbh I hate the way that L died in a unfair way. It would be better if Light found his name. instead of using a shinigami.
Jun 6, 2021 10:59 AM
Jun 2021
I REALLY love L he’s my fav but many ppl saying it got bad after ep25? No cuz we get to see more action more things that happend and how both mello and near catched him so the whole show was amazing even tho it got my eyes watari lo
Jun 17, 2021 8:09 AM
Jun 2021
Duniya ki sabsa mat anime
Jul 24, 2021 12:27 PM

Jun 2020
UGHH NOOOO I almost cried, I was in denial tbh

L was a really interesting character, his eyes kind of looked like Shinigami eyes, unlike other human eyes, but weirdly in his last moments they looked normal?
his backstory/flashback is also not completed, hmmm

It would be cool if he didn't completely die, or he's coming back to life somehow, idk I've kind of felt he wasn't completely human?
Sep 13, 2021 2:04 PM

May 2019
I hate Light for killing REM.

RIP L.

Damn, that was brutal.
Nov 12, 2021 2:47 AM
Jan 2021
RIP L I really love his character but sadly, overall great episode. Really hurted me and made me almost cried.
Nov 12, 2021 9:45 AM
Nov 2020
Guys protagonist doesn’t mean good guy.
Nov 12, 2021 1:11 PM

Aug 2019
GosuDRM said:
The foot massaging scene means L lost/submission.

I don't see why it would symbolize submission on L's part - he very clearly had a plan to discover if the 13-day rule was real or fake, so he wasn't giving up on the case.
Dec 9, 2021 4:54 AM
Feb 2021
Feb 3, 2022 8:23 AM
Apr 2021
This episode was very tough to watch. L washing Kira's foot, was so symbolic and well written. Like Jesus washing the feet of his disciple Judah who eventually betrayed him. L played a subservient role to Light's God-complex. L was killed like a lamb to the slaughter. He was a good person and had a good heart.
This episode touched me.
RIP L.
Feb 4, 2022 2:42 PM

Jan 2022
I knew when this episode started something was gonna happen to L, but I still can't believe he actually is gone- Rem too, I also noticed the animation seems a lot better this episode. And that scene with Misa singing was kinda haunting honestly. Really now alls I'm wondering is how this is gonna go on for another 12 episodes without L. Like, up until I started this episode I was under the impression L would die somewhere in the last 3-5 episodes, but there's a whole seasons worth of episodes ahead.
May 21, 2022 3:00 PM

Oct 2012
That was so... unceremonious. You'd think that after building up the rivalry for 24 episodes it would be an active victory and not a passive one.

Not terribly interested to see where the series goes from here, but I'm in for the long haul nonetheless.
Jul 15, 2022 6:24 PM
Oct 2016
L is good character but Kira don't forgive, My second time watching the show so it doesn't affect me much your death I love 💕💕💕 death note and I expect near and Mello coming
Aug 19, 2022 3:25 PM
May 2022
This episode when L was outside and Light came, that was the epsisode when I started liking L. He gave a foot massage to light, that was cute
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Note Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stars4evr09 - Jun 26, 2008

214 by LyraKeaton »»
12 hours ago

» Does anyone find the post time-skip story kind of...bad?

VanVeleca - May 24

38 by VanVeleca »»
Today, 7:58 AM

» Opinions on Donald Trump's cameo?

Kafzeth - May 28

31 by GinHachi23 »»
May 30, 10:35 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Boursk - Jun 27, 2007

922 by Khan355 »»
May 30, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 31 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayrhandros - May 17, 2007

118 by Trebor367 »»
May 29, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.