Forum Settings
Forums

Animes that are perceived as sad by majority of the community but not you.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 2, 2023 8:38 AM

May 2020
Your Lie In April!!!

Love the OST but i dont get why people like Kaori!!!

Forcing someone to get through their trauma because of your own selfishness just doesnt sit well with me!!!

Also,

The comedy is so out of place!!!

Another one is Erased!!!

I love me some timetravel,(As if my pfp & avatar are not proof enough!!!)

But seriously,

What was that ending???
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Aug 2, 2023 8:59 AM

Aug 2012
Charlotte, Your Lie in April, Anohana, and Toradora. So, while I'm somebody who hasn't ever cried on an anime, I do recognise if the anime is sad. Unfortunately, the four anime I mentioned got no such feelings out of me. In fact, I ended up more annoyed. I really tried to like them and feel sad when they ended, but the characters turned me off.
H-A-M-M-YAug 2, 2023 10:47 AM
Aug 2, 2023 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
Your lie in April did not make me cry… I didn’t like anything about it. I do not understand the hype at all around that anime.
Aug 2, 2023 9:20 AM

Dec 2017
Anohana, dumbest shit I ever watched. If I were to choose between the worst anime ever or anohana, I would choose neither.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Aug 2, 2023 10:15 AM

Mar 2019
Those who like to cry with anime are these useless react channels, which are forcing crying to win donations from muggles.
Violet Evergarden, was the most "cry please" anime I've ever seen, unlike the novel.
Dec 6, 2023 3:59 PM

Mar 2016
To Your Eterntiy
Your Lie in April
I Want To Eat Your Pancreas
5 Centimeters Per Second
Haibane Reimei (it’s still good, though)
Wolf Children
Anohana
True Tears
Charlotte
Iroduku World In Colors
Toradora
Made in Abyss
Gundam War In the Pocket
Clannad After Story
Plastic Memories
WorldEnd
Grave of the Fireflies

Literally every Shinkai film ever.

Just to name a handful.
RyuseishunDec 6, 2023 4:04 PM
Dec 6, 2023 4:41 PM

Aug 2016

@takamono
@kusairo
same. Shinkai is good at mistery boxes, but his human relationships are weak considering they are build up based on distance.
:v
Dec 6, 2023 5:04 PM

Jun 2020
Grave of the Fireflies...I find it kinda on the nose with its subject matter, like it wants to teach me "war bad" by showing someone shoot a puppy. Like yeah, shooting puppies is bad and sad, but man are you so obvious with the emotional manipulation, the beautiful Ghibli animation and sad music while you shoot the puppy. And then the movie ends with a judgmental stare of the titular character, just to make sure that you get the "war bad" message one last time.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Dec 6, 2023 5:07 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to GinInYourJuice
Kotonoha no Niwa is what immediately comes to my mind lol. I still don't get what was so sad about that anime movie.

@kusairo Should be sad that such gorgeous animation was used for a eh plot.

Dec 6, 2023 5:16 PM

Aug 2020
Violet Evergarden. Fumetsu no Anata e.

Dec 6, 2023 7:38 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Technopunk
Grave of the Fireflies...I find it kinda on the nose with its subject matter, like it wants to teach me "war bad" by showing someone shoot a puppy. Like yeah, shooting puppies is bad and sad, but man are you so obvious with the emotional manipulation, the beautiful Ghibli animation and sad music while you shoot the puppy. And then the movie ends with a judgmental stare of the titular character, just to make sure that you get the "war bad" message one last time.
@Technopunk
This is exactly the reason I haven't bothered to watch the movie. Gundam War in the Pocket gave me the same vibe, though it appears you like that one more.
その目だれの目?
Dec 6, 2023 7:50 PM

Jun 2020
Lucifrost said:
@Technopunk
This is exactly the reason I haven't bothered to watch the movie. Gundam War in the Pocket gave me the same vibe, though it appears you like that one more.

The difference is that War on the Pocket isn't telling of a real world events and specific suffering of a real world country and it's people though characters that could have existed. By that there are levels of disassociation, despite the general "war bad" motif of pretty much every Gundam piece of media, and how tragic all of it can get, that is not Build series. The Mecha and the entire industry around their marketability really do kinda ruin the messaging of Gundam (insert the meme of Gundam shooting and the human missing the point of the story just to look at cool robots).

Also, it didn't go and shoot a puppy like grave of the fireflies did, linger on how shooting the puppy is so sad, with all the sad music and repeated shots of the puppy when it was happy and alive, and then have the main character literally look at the camera, breaking the 4th wall, in an obvious judgemental look to finish the movie. War in the Pocket is more subtile that that at least, despite it being part of a heavily merchandise franchise. Plus it doesn't try to make you cry for all the sad feels, I don't think I've heard anyone cry over the ending of War in the Pockets, at most they were depressed "man" or "that's rough" kinda looks and reactions.
TechnopunkDec 6, 2023 7:56 PM

Dec 6, 2023 7:55 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Technopunk
Lucifrost said:
@Technopunk

The difference is that War on the Pocket isn't telling of a real world events and specific suffering of a real world country and it's people though characters that could have existed. By that there are levels of disassociation, despite the general "war bad" motif of pretty much every Gundam piece of media, and how tragic all of it can get, that is not Build series. The Mecha and the entire industry around their marketability really do kinda ruin the messaging of Gundam (insert the meme of Gundam shooting and the human missing the point of the story just to look at cool robots).

Also, it didn't go and shoot a puppy like grave of the fireflies did, linger on how shooting the puppy is so sad, with all the sad music and repeated shots of the puppy when it was happy and alive, and then have the main character literally look at the camera, breaking the 4th wall, in an obvious judgemental look to finish the movie. War in the Pocket is more subtile that that at least, despite it being part of a heavily merchandise franchise. Plus it doesn't try to make you cry for all the sad feels, I don't think I've heard anyone cry over the ending of War in the Pockets, at most they were depressed "man" or "that's rough" kinda looks and reactions.
Technopunk said:
Also, it didn't go and shoot a puppy like grave of the fireflies did, linger on how shooting the puppy is so sad, with all the sad music and repeated shots of the puppy when it was happy and alive, and then have the main character literally look at the camera, breaking the 4th wall, in an obvious judgemental look to finish the movie.

Oh dear. I thought you were exaggerating with your previous comment.
その目だれの目?
Dec 6, 2023 7:57 PM

Jun 2020
Lucifrost said:
Technopunk said:
Also, it didn't go and shoot a puppy like grave of the fireflies did, linger on how shooting the puppy is so sad, with all the sad music and repeated shots of the puppy when it was happy and alive, and then have the main character literally look at the camera, breaking the 4th wall, in an obvious judgemental look to finish the movie.

Oh dear. I thought you were exaggerating with your previous comment.

I'm not joking, the movie does go melodramatic with hammering it's messaging. Not the last Ghibli movie to do it in a literal 4th wall braking way.

Dec 6, 2023 8:17 PM

Mar 2015
Your Name was supposed to be tear-inducing. oh my
woah there
Dec 6, 2023 9:36 PM
Dec 2020
I watched Your lie in April expecting something sad to happen...and nothing happened
Dec 7, 2023 4:06 AM

Mar 2023
The only tears i did shed from watching Anohana was that out of boredom.
Dec 7, 2023 4:19 AM

Mar 2023
AnoHana seconded, predictable, boring etc. I think the drama is rather poorly contrived.
If not for the OST, Tenki No Ko is not that sad imo
I love frieren, but it is not as sad as others say, it’s more relaxing/ thought provoking/ wholesome than anything
“Since when was this world so beautiful?” ~Yuuri (girl's last tour)
Dec 7, 2023 4:25 AM

Jan 2015
Angel Beats.
It have had a happy ending why are people sad xD
My candies:
Dec 7, 2023 4:46 AM

Sep 2016
After doing a quick search I found out that Angel Beats is considered as sad by many, but I don't remember shedding a single tear of sadness.
Instead it made me laugh quite hard a few times, so I'm surprised that it doesn't have the comedy tag here.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Dec 7, 2023 5:11 AM

Jul 2014
I love Your Name, I think it's a wonderful film, but I didn't find it sad whatsoever as has been said many times now. It made me emotional sure, but that's because it's a well made romance, not because it's super depressing.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Dec 7, 2023 5:15 AM

Aug 2010
There are quite a bit of tearjerkers that didn't make me cry but I understand why they are considered sad, except Your Name. I still don't understand what so sad about it.. I love it though and I never expected to cry to begin with because I watch it early so I didn't hear others comments or reviews yet.
Dec 7, 2023 9:17 AM

Sep 2014
Why are people saying Your Name? I never heard anyone saying it was sad.
Dec 7, 2023 9:36 AM

Jan 2020
Reply to GentleDragonite
AnoHana seconded, predictable, boring etc. I think the drama is rather poorly contrived.
If not for the OST, Tenki No Ko is not that sad imo
I love frieren, but it is not as sad as others say, it’s more relaxing/ thought provoking/ wholesome than anything
Fumetsu no Anata e, Hibike Euphonium, Kyoukai no Kanata and Tokyo Revengers had me like "Am I supposed to cry to this?🙄" (at least the first one has a somewhat interesting story so taht's why I still watch it lel)

@GentleDragonite Tenki no Ko is not sad. It's infuriating (at least the end).
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Dec 7, 2023 10:02 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Zarutaku
After doing a quick search I found out that Angel Beats is considered as sad by many, but I don't remember shedding a single tear of sadness.
Instead it made me laugh quite hard a few times, so I'm surprised that it doesn't have the comedy tag here.
@Zarutaku
It's by the writer of Clannad, an anime that made me laugh a lot despite its lack of a comedy tag.
その目だれの目?
Dec 7, 2023 10:27 AM

Mar 2022
Maquia: when the promised flower blooms.

It was still a decent movie but i was already too annoyed by thr random cut scenes and time skips which made the story feel so fucking confusing to give a shit about the "sad finale" in the end.
It was nice and all, but nah, i just couldn't care enough to feel at that point.
Dec 7, 2023 11:52 AM

Jan 2008
Your Lie in April
I did get sad in some places but the big one that was supposed to make you bawl? Couldn't care less. Didn't like her at the end
Dec 8, 2023 7:45 AM

Apr 2016
your lie in April, the girl was horrible and isn't likeable and annoying as hell
Dec 9, 2023 2:27 AM

Jan 2020
Every anime that are perceived as sad by majority of the community.

Most anime sad moments are death, which either I don't relate or simply see it as a normal thing
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Dec 9, 2023 2:38 AM

Oct 2016
I don't go into any anime expecting to cry, and I didn't cry with any famous tearjerker I watched.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Evangelion sucks

brainburger - Jun 20

48 by SgtBateMan »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Is there a correlation between not liking spicy food, and liking bad anime?

Nyron - 3 hours ago

23 by Cielord »»
8 minutes ago

» Name Two Anime you want to crossover?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

22 by Longnines »»
25 minutes ago

» Those of you who write anime reviews, what is the most challenging part about it?

Peach_Main - Jun 20

8 by CaptainKenshiro »»
30 minutes ago

» Would you watch a gender swapped version of One piece?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

15 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.