Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Aug 30, 2022 2:39 PM

Oct 2015
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
SaeLiuS said:
It is late but people still are talking about this, so I'm going to add that I think this review system is an improvement, so people can finally stop "hate reviewing" or trying to grab attention with reviews. Now the number of actual reviews will grow. Were are still missing a downvote option though.
And what "actual reviews", exactly? Those poor quality subjective ones?

Refer to my other reply, the one above this actually. Bye.
Aug 31, 2022 6:16 AM
Jan 2019
I hate MAL reviews but jesus is this somehow infinitely worse.
Aug 31, 2022 7:39 PM

Jul 2014
Pray a mod or admin sees this.

It would be amazing if we could get not helpful option because gasp, people have differing opinions. I know that many people would like to show their disapproval in a different way then just a confused emoji. Maybe similar to AniList where you have rating freedom and can implement any type of rating on helpfulness. Anyone in charge that reads this, thank you for your time. 🙏

side note: holy crap, anilist has a thumbs down option in their reviews.
Sep 1, 2022 7:37 AM

Feb 2015
Why even rehaul the entire system when we all know that the only reviewer in this site is @Stark700 and all the other reviews are just his alt to make his main acc reviews look better?
Sep 1, 2022 9:23 AM
May 2022
Anymore stupid changes?
The hell is this?! Are you trying to please kids under 8 years?
Are you taking lessons from Facebook on how to make things worse and improve things (which you think is improving) which don't need that at all?
It's all so stupid, but I doubt you're gonna listen anyway.
Facebook did it, Instagram did it, YouTube did it and now it's you. I don't know if you're completely ignorant or you just don't care for the users. Millions of users, yet you think that your decision is only the right one cuz you're the developers.
How about another good suggestion - Why not remove the Recommend or Not Recommended option as well and ratings below 6? Would help creators to earn some extra money so you also get payed by them for your help and contribution in promoting the material?!
Sep 1, 2022 9:29 AM
May 2022
CickNipolla said:
crazy after a month of non stop backlash they have still not reverted it

Like they actually care. These big organizations, communities are the same and becoming the same. Once they become very popular (here, Covid helped many of them and MAL is one of them), they start thinking that now no one can affect them in any way so why would they care for users anymore?!

They are in the hopes that soon it will be forgotten anyway. The stupid Facebook, Instagram, YouTube etc. all did it. MAL beat the recent YouTube stupidity!!
Sep 1, 2022 9:33 AM
May 2022
People crying that "How will we able to express disagreement over a review!"

You just ignore it weirdos. Now I am sure if a review doesn't sit well with your taste, you're obviously gonna try something funny. Great. Power to the "HATE"
Sep 3, 2022 12:15 PM
Jul 2021
I genuinely thought this site was pretty cool for still having a very 'classic' internet feel in an era where everything is trying to imitate fb, insta, twitter and the like.
Shame to see you go in this direction, especially as, from experience with other sites "updating" their UI against all pushback they get from their userbase, you likely aren't going to roll these changes back out of simple pride and because it would be too awkward to admit you made a mistake, even knowing that the criticisms in this thread are, for the most part, in good faith and more than valid.

I'd be happy if you were to prove me wrong.
Sep 4, 2022 3:41 PM

Jul 2011
Nah, this new "upgrade" only made reviews worse - not being able to see the given score until you hit "Read more" just makes them super inconvenient.
Adding "reactions" are not helpful as well.

But the worst part is annoying pop-ups asking me to rate an anime every time I add watched episode...
Most of the time I only rate series once I complete (or drop) them, so would be great having an option to turn this "feature" off by default, not individually for each anime.

Overall, I'd say these changes more look like a downgrade imho.

Sep 6, 2022 5:15 PM

Jul 2017
MAL I'm seriously tired of this new worded system for reviews. I want to at the very least see the number score without having to expand the review. This really sucks.
Sep 6, 2022 6:10 PM
Oct 2017
I haven't been using mal like I had been using because of the rating system. It became so stupid not an improvement, in fact I started considering using another platforms because of this bad rating system. You don't want to listen to people nor even put an option for people to freely choose the old rating system or not. I don't think I will last a lot by those new changes in the upcoming months.
AccountKiller
Sep 6, 2022 7:50 PM

Feb 2010
lol I can't even sort by "Most Helpful" anymore, only sort by "votes" (which includes "funny" "confusing" etc.) and sort by newest oldest. They even got rid of the weighted\unweighted sort. But hey, it has emoji now! I've been using this website for more than a decade and this is without a single doubt the absolute most stupid thing I've seen them do. This has made the review system completely unusable in every imaginable way. I want to use the review system to read relevant reviews that most people found helpful. Why else would there be reviews? The only reason to look at the reviews of any anime now is if you're just bored and you want to read some completely random reviews.
Sep 7, 2022 5:59 AM

Nov 2014
I might as well add my two cents, I guess. This whole emoji thing -- it's embarrassing. Seriously, using it makes me feel like a child (not in a good way) and it makes me feel like MAL also thinks I'm a child who would want to use this MySpace level tech. I'm legitimately insulted.

Also, PLEASE bring back number scores. This new way is just dumb.
Quality Queen.
Sep 8, 2022 3:04 PM
Dec 2020
Can this godawful change be reverted already. The only part of reviews that actually mattered was the score and now we don't even have that.
Sep 15, 2022 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
Logged in to my account just to say how utter dogshit this update is. This is on par with the recent YouTube overhauls and you cannot convince me otherwise. However, unlike YouTube, MAL does have competitors. Reviews and stacks were pretty much the only reasons why I visited this site despite taking all of my data to AniList completely. But now that I need 4 extra clicks to skim through the same amount of information, I would rather stick with the dead community on AniList with their functioning dislike buttons on reviews (until they become another meme in a decade when they get too big for their own good just like MAL, that is). Y'all can continue to use this shit excuse of a site with the interface from 2003 while screaming "reeeeeee just ignore the disagreements".
Sep 15, 2022 12:24 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
It's nice to be able to see who reacted to your review, some people were a surprise since I did not think they liked my reviews at all lol.
Sep 15, 2022 2:50 PM

Oct 2014
Please return the review system to how it used to be.
Sep 16, 2022 6:13 PM
Mar 2021
Could you at least make it to where "Confusing" reactions aren't counted when ranking reviews? Right now all feedback is just counted as helpful on mobile. On both mobile and desktop, the review with the most reactions are pushed to the top. But in my opinion, if most of the reactions are "Confusing" that doesn't make the review helpful. A recent example is this https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=457548.
Sep 19, 2022 4:42 PM

Nov 2018
Lots of troll reviews became top reviews just because many people don't know that confusing/funny is an upvote 😂
Sep 22, 2022 12:51 AM
Jun 2016
This update sucks dicks and is easily the worst update ever.

Thanks MAL staff, your ideas suck ass and you should feel bad about them.
Sep 22, 2022 8:44 PM

Dec 2019
So, are there any news on the "Suggested" sort? It was reverted because of bugs, but it has been nearly two months, and it's still gone. I was expecting it to come back before the Summer 2022 season ended, but it didn't come back.
Sep 22, 2022 8:46 PM

Oct 2021
The current review system is garbage but the old one was even worse. Conclusion: Reviews on MAL continue to suck. Just disable them completely at this point.
Sep 24, 2022 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
Now clicking on ‘the latest anime reviews’ redirects you to 'the most helpful reviews' instead of ‘the latest reviews.’ If it is intended, it is a huge mistake. Or am I missing something? Nvm, I am blind.
removed-userSep 24, 2022 5:45 AM
Sep 24, 2022 5:55 AM

Sep 2010
TheMAM said:
MAL I'm seriously tired of this new worded system for reviews. I want to at the very least see the number score without having to expand the review. This really sucks.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2044881

This might be helpful for you.
Sep 24, 2022 1:01 PM

May 2014
So far with this update I've seen only two things happening:

1. Positive reviews getting a lot of "positive" reactions, no matter if they are poorly written or just trolling. See Cyberpunk Edgerunners reviews

2. Negative reviews getting mostly "confusing" and "funny" reactions, even if the reviews are actually well-written, and give more exposition to unfounded hate reviews. See Call of the Night reviews

In both cases is hard to separate good and bad reviews, this is just appealing to embrace positivism and ratio-ing any trace of criticism. Reviews section has become a literal circus. I don't really think that was your idea when you said this new system was meant to "allow review readers to give different types of feedback to the review writer beyond 'helpful' "
Sep 25, 2022 10:43 PM
Jun 2011
Marinate1016 said:
Mangaman162 said:
wrong be gone troll

The irony of calling someone a troll after writing out a one sentence reply of drivel.

OR responding to a one sentence quote = Troll
Sep 28, 2022 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
What makes this review informative https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=453539 and why this review is not https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=454328?

Like, do you need ‘x number of informative votes’ to make your review informative, or something?
Sep 29, 2022 11:43 AM
Jul 2015
This is a bad update. For example, using 'Recommended' to reflect a score of 7-10? There's already a large perceived difference between 7 and 8 score wise, let alone 7 and 10. This system make the UX worse by having more clicks to see the actual score where none were needed before and making the scoring system much more vague. Each score already had a word to describe the numerical score, this just make is more vague.
Sep 30, 2022 10:45 PM

Feb 2014
Thanks a lot for ruining the review system. Were numerical scores too "triggering" for the snowflake generation? How long until even the anime scores are replaced with these recommended/not recommended participation trophies, or worse, emojis?
Oct 6, 2022 10:52 AM
Nov 2009

Thanks. I hate it.
Oct 8, 2022 5:30 AM

May 2009
Review system is still garbage the only difference now is that people who disagree with a review chose "Confusing" rating but it doesn't work as it should.
BRING BACK DISAGREE OPTION, for f*cks sake.
Oct 10, 2022 8:40 AM

Jun 2019
All I'm asking is a Dislike/Downvote option as well. Please MAL Gods...
Oct 13, 2022 10:36 PM
May 2013
noooooooooope just nope. I've been here for almost 10 years and this is the first time i write anything, this is how bad it is, so bad that i had to write. Go back to the points system, i don't care if there's a cartel, a mafia, a yakusa or a whatever, i don't care if there's like 20 people that devote their lives to write reviews and believe they're god's chosen ones for that and feel bad if they get downvoted. I don't care about bots, fakes, review bombing or any of that shit. The numbers on a review are sacred, they tell the things with math ojectivity even if they themselves are subjective, 2/10 will forever be a better indication than not recommend, 10 numbers give a better opinion that a crappy recommend, i want to see how much you recommend something, not just if you do or don’t, i want to see how much you hate something, not if you are right or not, not if you are fair or not, not if you are the next shakespeare or not
Oct 14, 2022 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
ACasualViewer said:
It's nice to be able to see who reacted to your review, some people were a surprise since I did not think they liked my reviews at all lol.

The feature goes beyond this. It demonstrates that a significant amount of current and top reviewers of the past spam upvoted their reviews with burner accounts. Just go look. Very obvious to find these individuals. You will see bulk upvotes from random string account names that were all created on the same day for that sole purpose.

All of these people should be permanently banned. It is more shameful that these individuals openly do not care what harm they have done to the review system by manipulating it. Because eventually it has forced undesirable changes. Some of these individuals even had the audacity to complain about the system, while secretly contributing to its destruction.
Oct 14, 2022 9:02 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
RIPB0Z0 said:
ACasualViewer said:

The feature goes beyond this. It demonstrates that a significant amount of current and top reviewers of the past spam upvoted their reviews with burner accounts. Just go look. Very obvious to find these individuals. You will see bulk upvotes from random string account names that were all created on the same day for that sole purpose.

All of these people should be permanently banned. It is more shameful that these individuals openly do not care what harm they have done to the review system by manipulating it. Because eventually it has forced undesirable changes. Some of these individuals even had the audacity to complain about the system, while secretly contributing to its destruction.

Report the reviews you see and list the spam accounts under the reactions, we're allowed to take down reviews for obvious botting.
Oct 17, 2022 3:39 PM
Jan 2010
Just wondering if a way could be added to see the 1-10 number for a review instead of recommended, mixed feelings, and not recommended. Maybe as like a site wide user only setting or something. For me a 7 is a very different feeling from a 10 and that goes for other numbers as well, putting them in the same category just defeats the purpose. I don't really feel the need to down or up-vote a review or anything I just love a number scale and don't want a forced simplification. If that has any way to be viewable that would be awesome. Even if the simplified view stays could we also have the numbers next to it or something? Just want to put this idea out there.
Thanks to all
Oct 17, 2022 6:42 PM
Jul 2010
Atrocious update. First time back on this website in a few months and super disappointed by this.

Don't suppose there are any rich millionare weebs out there who feel like buying a website who will actually hire useful mod/web dev teams?

That would be excellent.
Oct 19, 2022 4:31 AM

Apr 2009
The laugh and confusing emojis are very toxic and are only used for bullying.

I don't care about recommending or not, I want to see the score first.
VirtueHunterOct 19, 2022 4:43 AM
Oct 19, 2022 2:01 PM
Jul 2010
Please please please please please please bring back the number scores instead of those 3 placeholders, why have 3 ways of scoring instead of the good old 10 ?

Everything else looks good 👍
Oct 21, 2022 10:36 AM

Nov 2019
Kineta said:
Notifications for review writers are being considered for the future

This would be a really nice feature to look forward to!
Also, thank you for not adding a downvote button.
It certainly doesn't feel nice when someone downvotes something you worked hard on . . . .

-Ryoto-Oct 21, 2022 10:41 AM
Oct 24, 2022 9:52 AM

May 2021
Manaban said:
moozooh said:

I don't see anything RebelPanda is supposed to defend himself against.

I'm going to stop right here because I don't need to waste seconds of my life skimming through the rest of this post. He was literally defending himself from somebody else saying he was rat racing. Look at the quote he was responding to. Full stop, said and done, don't care what your take is.

I dont see anything that RebelPanda is supposed to defend himself against
Real Human Achievement by Single "suicide note because reviews rework" H

Oct 24, 2022 10:36 AM

Sep 2015
Gween_Gween said:
Manaban said:

I'm going to stop right here because I don't need to waste seconds of my life skimming through the rest of this post. He was literally defending himself from somebody else saying he was rat racing. Look at the quote he was responding to. Full stop, said and done, don't care what your take is.

I dont see anything that RebelPanda is supposed to defend himself against
Real Human Achievement by Single "suicide note because reviews rework" H

Yo @Kineta can we actually look into this

Like this is kind of big

Oct 27, 2022 4:31 AM

Dec 2015
Needs more improvement. I don't know when I posted last here - and I think it has been mentioned by others already: The reactions need to be changed so you can select more than one. Or remove all of them except like/love.

Would be nice to have them visually separated into a like indicator (love/like ... maybe different ones also negative ones - for the general quality ... selecting 1 is enough here) and the other stuff that should work more like tags: Something can be well-written and informative. And if you like it ... because of that - what should you select? You can only select one and the thumbsup and love are the first ones to be shown.

The other ones will naturally be used less - except by a few enthusiasts that care a lot about them ... then thinking about which one they should give. Calculating anything ranking-based (that affects order of the reviews shown) ... should only be based on the general like icon (the heart/thumbs ... heart could count twice as much as the thumbsup).
Oct 29, 2022 10:05 AM
Jun 2011
Marinate1016 said:
Mangaman162 said:
wrong be gone troll

The irony of calling someone a troll after writing out a one sentence reply of drivel.

Anyone who is up in arms about this update is a troll. There’s no other explanation. If it were opinions to improve tweak the update that one thing. But this update destroys the current state of trolls and assholes ruining MAL which is AMAZING 🤩 !!!!
Oct 29, 2022 9:45 PM

Feb 2019
Mangaman162 said:
Marinate1016 said:

Anyone who is up in arms about this update is a troll. There’s no other explanation. If it were opinions to improve tweak the update that one thing. But this update destroys the current state of trolls and assholes ruining MAL which is AMAZING 🤩 !!!!

No way you’re replying to this months later
Nov 16, 2022 5:17 AM
Jun 2011
Also just a recommendation. Remove reviews of closed accounts that have been banned or terminated. There are still tons of them
Dec 10, 2022 2:34 PM

Feb 2018
I can see that MAL officially tags reviews with "Funny", which i guess is the result of enough people reacting with that emoji.

This is even if the author of the review evidently never wrote his review with the intention of it being comedic.

So if enough trolls bomb your reviews with funny emojis because they disagree with your opinion, eventually your review will be tagged as a "funny" review by MAL regardless of contents.

One could just say moderators will fix this by users making them aware of it... and problem solved?

But if i was a reviews moderator, i would rather like to focus on moderating the actual content of reviews rather than the evident abuse from users reacting to them.

And as a user, i would rather like to focus on the reviews themselves rather than also having to spend time addressing issues caused by the system itself.

The professionalism of the reviews section on MAL that used to be, has been thrown out of the window and replaced with a dumpster fire similar of what you'd find on a social platform like Twitter.

Ever since this update, i've found myself reading a lot less reviews than i used to. The trolling and toxicity takes away too much of the immersion and i see myself having a less enjoyable experience of the one i was used to.

There is a lot of great talent out there in the MAL reviews world, a lot of it which i will never discover for myself as my engagement with the reviews section has plummeted following the implementation of the update.

What used to be a place for talent & professionalism to prospher has turned into a breeding ground for trolling and toxicity.

To say this update has been controversial would be an understatement, with some people expressing general positivity and optimism, to some expressing critique and genuine concern.

MAL's way of handling the criticism and concerns of the update has been an approach of not addressing any of it, but simply hoping for the problems to fix themselves and that time will heal any wounds. But not everyone can pull off what Apple did with the notch or the headphone jack. In the case of MAL, i don't see the problems fixing themselves, the issues will always be present causing a further rift as time goes.

I don't think it's too late to reverse course, as otherwise i wouldn't be posting this.

As for what comes to be, only time will tell.
Dec 23, 2022 7:36 PM

Jul 2014
Bring back the not helpful button ala thumbs down.
Jan 1, 2023 1:09 AM

Feb 2010
alright since the review system is still shit, I'm willing to use another website for reading reviews now. Any recommendations?
Jan 4, 2023 10:15 AM
Apr 2018
The review update was a mistake.Many people will just spam the funny or confusing emoji ,just because someone doesnt like the series,no matter if the critisicm they gave was valid or not.Just return it to how it was 
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 12

137 by Naroomaki »»
52 minutes ago

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

338 by HarrisonCAPA »»
1 hour ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by badabass »»
Sep 17, 5:59 PM

» Join MAL's Moderator Team!

Kineta - Sep 12

0 by Kineta »»
Sep 12, 7:26 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by Chronowarp »»
Sep 10, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.