Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Aug 6, 2022 5:00 AM
Jun 2016
this update is crap. I'm not a gonna renew my mal subscription after this. pls fix
Aug 6, 2022 9:00 AM

Jul 2015
Ok, so the
More feedback options beyond "Helpful"
is a nice thing in general, but you should definitely fix this. What's the point of having 4 tags (Love it, nice, well-written, informative) for positive feedback and only one (confusing) for negative feedback?

I think this needs to be balanced, e.g 2 or 3 positive options, and 2 or 3 negatives. The option/word "Confusing" alone isn't enough and it's not that negative to begin with. It sounds too random, and it doesn't specify anything in particular.

I do believe this is a step in the right direction, but it still needs a lot of sharpening.
PokitaruAug 6, 2022 9:14 AM
Aug 6, 2022 9:18 AM

Nov 2011
Orion_Gospel said:
Ok, so the
More feedback options beyond "Helpful"
is a nice thing in general, but you should definitely fix this. What's the point of having 4 tags (Love it, nice, well-written, informative) for positive feedback and only one (confusing) for negative feedback?

I think this needs to be balanced, e.g 2 or 3 positive options, and 2 or 3 negatives. The option/word "Confusing" alone isn't enough and it's not that negative to begin with. It sounds too random, and it doesn't specify anything in particular

It's worse than that. All current options are actually considered positive.
The best way to make a review reach the top now is to make an absurdly bad and cringe-worthy review that gets (down)voted to the top. It's happening already.

The system is completely broken.
Aug 6, 2022 9:22 AM

May 2021
Meusnier said:

Another cosmetic update, whilst the main issue of reviews is that people write some very positive or very negative hasty prose after three episodes to gather votes, which prevents sensible people who only write after having judged the whole series—I am thinking of anime, and more precisely, of sub 27 episodes series—from attracting attention to their work.

It feels that this update was made by people who have no idea how people rate on MAL. For most people, a 7/10 is a low score, and you can find that something has some quality... and not recommend it.

The original point of the update was fixing that issue, but the suggestion sorting was extremely buggy so they ended up not fixing anything as of now haha

Nobody has any idea about how people rate here, you have reviewers that have a mean of 3.5 and reviewers that have a mean of 8. The reviewing system morphed into a game where you give the most outlandish score possible and rant for 4 paragraphs about how the anime is the second coming of Twinkle Nora while insulting the people who likes it

Aug 6, 2022 9:27 AM

Feb 2021
So is this planned maintenance going to revert the review system back to normal?
Aug 6, 2022 12:56 PM

Oct 2017
Please, no. This update is a mistake, not only is it much harder to see the reviewer's score, but the "recommended/not recommended/mixed feelings" titles are just plain wrong. It smells of commercial involvement to make this site more advertiser-friendly (not look as negative). IMDB still keeps its 1-10 review system and attracts sponsors, so you definitely don't need to cripple the entire review system.
Aug 6, 2022 1:02 PM

May 2014
Well, I understand why the "total score" has been hidden and is only visible after pressing "read more", probably in order to prevent people suggesting from other users rating. But it won't change anything, because now people will be influenced by "like reactions". On the other hand, clicking "read more" to see the "total score" it's a bit annoying.

My greatest regret is that the "art, story, etc." rating category has been removed. They should stay and be more visible, e.g. at the top of review. Then the "total score" could stay at the bottom as it is now.

Below sample how it should look like with category's score and what I mean:
BankaiGokuAug 6, 2022 1:55 PM
### ||| 私はアニメと日本文化が大好きです ||| ###"Kago-ni noru hito, katsugu hito, sono mata waraji-o tsukuru." ###
Aug 6, 2022 1:50 PM

Jun 2019
Gween_Gween said:
Meusnier said:

Another cosmetic update, whilst the main issue of reviews is that people write some very positive or very negative hasty prose after three episodes to gather votes, which prevents sensible people who only write after having judged the whole series—I am thinking of anime, and more precisely, of sub 27 episodes series—from attracting attention to their work.

It feels that this update was made by people who have no idea how people rate on MAL. For most people, a 7/10 is a low score, and you can find that something has some quality... and not recommend it.

The original point of the update was fixing that issue, but the suggestion sorting was extremely buggy so they ended up not fixing anything as of now haha

Nobody has any idea about how people rate here, you have reviewers that have a mean of 3.5 and reviewers that have a mean of 8. The reviewing system morphed into a game where you give the most outlandish score possible and rant for 4 paragraphs about how the anime is the second coming of Twinkle Nora while insulting the people who likes it

Oh really? It does not seem very apparent though!

Indeed, and the average score of anime on MAL is close to 7 if I recall correctly, so the system will end up recommending most anime... I am sure that Twinkle Nora, besides its animation, is not that bad!
Aug 6, 2022 4:41 PM

Jan 2019
I think it would appease more users and be more informative for both the score and the recommendation to appear at the top of a review. It'd give you a more complete idea of the user's appreciation for the series if you could instantly compare both.

Also, agreed with the comments saying that not having "Preliminary" on top until you open the review page is misleading and inconvenient.
P.S.: Oops, this was already fixed. The tag doesn't appear only for anime that is currently still releasing.

My support is there for g1l's suggestion of holding back reviews after an anime has ended as well, so that reviews can be seen without the need for a race.

Maffy said:
Sheklon said:

Is it just me or is this not working at all?

As explained in the announcement, this is an upcoming feature :)

Sorry about that, I was a little sleepy when I made my post. Thank you!

Meusnier said:
Gween_Gween said:

Indeed, and the average score of anime on MAL is close to 7 if I recall correctly, so the system will end up recommending most anime... I am sure that Twinkle Nora, besides its animation, is not that bad!

If the data on anime.plus is still correct, the global mean score is 6.29.

The recommendation can be edited independently from the score when you write or edit a review.
SheklonAug 6, 2022 5:54 PM
Aug 6, 2022 6:56 PM
Oct 2017
The new system of "recommended, mixed, not recommended" isn't useful as a primary system categorizing reviews. Particularly because what the scores correlate to (average, good, great) have absolutely nothing to do with recommendation- but just how arbitrarily good you think a show is. And as someone who references reviews all the time for the sake of understanding community opinion and interpretations I may have missed or looked over it makes it impossible to differentiate when someone thinks the show is great versus 'just' good, and in the terms of a review the difference is huge- "yes it is what it sets out to be and does it fine" (good) versus "a new show that's creative and great" (great).

Perhaps more importantly it leaves shows of less popular genres to be not recommended, because their not being reviewed by people who would like the show to begin with. In the 1-10 system you could narrow down reviews in a much more germane manner. It also leaves such shows to be watched less because all people see is "not recommended", i.e. its being advertised as bad.
Aug 7, 2022 4:53 AM

Jun 2019
Sheklon said:
Meusnier said:

The recommendation can be edited independently from the score when you write or edit a review.

Thank you for the precision on the average scores.

Meusnier said:
"Writers can edit their existing reviews to adjust the tag (as necessary) without needing to modify their score." Most reviewers have either stopped using MAL, or will not bother editing hundreds of reviews. Therefore, one can expect that those arbitrary tags will be largely inaccurate for a very long time.
Aug 7, 2022 12:32 PM

Dec 2012
This looks more along the lines of the user review system on Steam
Aug 7, 2022 1:04 PM
Aug 2016
If something works, don't fix it.
The new review system looks quite bad and putting the overall score to the bottom is not a very good idea at all.
Aug 7, 2022 1:26 PM

Jan 2019
Meusnier said:
Sheklon said:

Thank you for the precision on the average scores.

Meusnier said:
"Writers can edit their existing reviews to adjust the tag (as necessary) without needing to modify their score." Most reviewers have either stopped using MAL, or will not bother editing hundreds of reviews. Therefore, one can expect that those arbitrary tags will be largely inaccurate for a very long time.

Sorry, I didn't realize your original post was longer than Gween's quote.

That is a good point. I doubt the review mods would be willing to take the monumental task of manually editing older reviews (besides that being intrusive).
Aug 7, 2022 3:23 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Gween_Gween said:
Nobody has any idea about how people rate here, you have reviewers that have a mean of 3.5 and reviewers that have a mean of 8.

That is largely why the recommendation labels have been introduced: for one reviewer, 7 is enjoyable and firmly above average, while for another it is already a waste of time. There is merit to having these labels because they communicate the verdict directly; the problem is they don't have enough granularity to do their job as intended.

But this is also why qualitative sorting of reviews by feedback emotes doesn't work any better and shouldn't ever be used. There is no certainty in what users mean by reacting with a given emote, so nothing should be based on trying to guess what they mean by that. The previously used "Was this review helpful" is by far the most ideal option, with the extra reactions just being unnecessary fluff.

This also applies to negative feedback which I've already expanded upon (see issue #4). This is simply a wrong way to solve the issue of having unhelpful reviews stuck on top because reviews shouldn't get stuck there to begin with.
Aug 7, 2022 4:20 PM

May 2012
Thanks, I hate it.
Aug 7, 2022 4:30 PM

Feb 2012
Satyr_icon said:
Funny how most people supporting this change are the ones that are constantly mad at reviewers for criticising their favourite shows and go as far as badmouthing and slandering them and inventing conspiracies such a "review cartel" (lmao). All just for daring to have their own opinions.

Sad that the website is being run for these kind of attitudes.

They literally got caught botting at least several hundreds upvotes to get to the top. It was also disgustingly easy considering all you needed was 10 votes immediately after posting. If that wasn't enought they called for brigading from other websites.

Now the "Top Reviewers" page is finally gone: GOOD RIDDANCE! Stark700 was the only legit one who remained on there anyway...

The rest of changes are mostly trash, especially "Funny" and "Confusing" being counted as "Likes", still 100% worth to have a review system that's functional again.
Humans are suspicious and jealous creatures. When they see something perfect, they wanna find a flaw.

Ratohnhaketon said:
You have much to learn if you have not joined the witch hunt to down vote every anime that rises above our underrated favorites. I am currently on a campaign to get Training with Hinako into the top 12. Shit taste is hard to fight though, it's like trying to talk sense to an army of hallucinating loonies.
Ty-Ki said:
It's hilarious to see morons wasting more time with the series they hate so much than the fans of it.
Aug 7, 2022 5:19 PM

Aug 2013
PKX said:

They literally got caught botting at least several hundreds upvotes to get to the top. It was also disgustingly easy considering all you needed was 10 votes immediately after posting. If that wasn't enought they called for brigading from other websites.

First off, look at the dates of the top 3 reviews. It's the day the 4th episode was released, when the review embargo is lifted. It was never that hard to get hundreds of votes on that day, especially in an extremely popular anime like Mushoku Tensei, because everyone is rushing to upvote whatever review reflects their views on the show to get them to the top. So that alone isn't really a proof of botting, and certainly isn't enough to call every top reviewer's integrity into question.

Second, who botted? That Macocieto guy? A guy whose profile is completely empty and probably just did that specifically to get themselves to the top? lmao
Aug 7, 2022 6:48 PM
Aug 2018
I understand the intention behind this update, and I do like several of the features it added (like separating out the types of review ratings into several categories that can more accurately portray a reader's feelings about a review). That being said, I cannot understand the reasoning behind hiding the review's actual score at the bottom in the same font as the review's text itself, meaning you have to click "Show More" and actually scroll all the way down to see the reviewer's score. The review score says a lot more about the reviewer's impression of the show than the simplified choice of "Recommended," "Mixed Feelings," or "Not Recommended." There's a great deal of difference between a reviewer giving a score of 10 and one giving a score of 7 (especially on MAL where low-seven shows are actually considered quite bad on average). This update would be a minor plus for me if it weren't for the strange decision to hide the actual score and thus significantly decrease the at-a-glance usefulness of reviews; as it is, it's a significant negative, since it'll increase how long it takes for me to get an immediate picture for how a reviewer felt.
Aug 7, 2022 9:48 PM

May 2021
moozooh said:
Gween_Gween said:
Nobody has any idea about how people rate here, you have reviewers that have a mean of 3.5 and reviewers that have a mean of 8.

That is largely why the recommendation labels have been introduced: for one reviewer, 7 is enjoyable and firmly above average, while for another it is already a waste of time. There is merit to having these labels because they communicate the verdict directly; the problem is they don't have enough granularity to do their job as intended.

But this is also why qualitative sorting of reviews by feedback emotes doesn't work any better and shouldn't ever be used. There is no certainty in what users mean by reacting with a given emote, so nothing should be based on trying to guess what they mean by that. The previously used "Was this review helpful" is by far the most ideal option, with the extra reactions just being unnecessary fluff.

This also applies to negative feedback which I've already expanded upon (see issue #4). This is simply a wrong way to solve the issue of having unhelpful reviews stuck on top because reviews shouldn't get stuck there to begin with.

In theory, the helpful button is effective because it encapsulates the concept of adequacy of the review and it takes no further opinion. In practice, it is just a glorified Like button that requires the voters to be civil enough to not manipulate it (Impossible, the entire review system is a external community away of losing usefulness). I don't think that the reactions are that egregious comparatively (It is bloated with redundancy though), the main issue is that it is not fit to the current interface and sorting algorithm, so it ended up being a worse alternative as the design was meant to be used with the hidden suggestion system (I'm somehow confident that the suggestion system was created to solve some of the stuff that you say in your post, it just failed). The solution of using a dedicated comment box is actually something that I wanted before the update, mostly because I would avoid having idiots spamming insults in my profile whenever they disagree, but it also means way more work for the development, one can only hope

In respect of the granularity, I think that it would just evolve into the current system, people just like the push the limits to grab attention, and an Extremely Recommended sounds better than a Recommended, the point of moving scores to the bottom was eliminating the necessity of that sort of manipulation. An alternative that I always wanted is adding some kind of title to establish the point of the review, so having (R/NR/MF) + A Title gives the reader sufficient information about the content of the review. Adding the title would also allow more reviews in the frontpage because you can redesign the UI, but what do I know

Aug 7, 2022 10:36 PM

Sep 2018
Personally I really dislike this new system, the button style and the emojis are tacky and remind me numerous sketchy websites.
Also the "funny" option worries me as it could encourage more trash joke/troll reviews, and also I feel, like others have said, that there should be more then just a "confusing" option to express dislike.

Manja_Warior said:
Reddit has down votes and that works perfectly fine, no need for 101 things to say the same thing, it's good or it's bad.

If you consider topics being buried before they even have a chance to be seen "working fine" then sure, yeah, they work great.
KristiwazhereAug 7, 2022 11:04 PM
Aug 7, 2022 11:23 PM

Feb 2014
I think this has potential. I like there is a focus to stomp out clout reviewers and having recommended, mixed, and not recommended on the top of the review simplifies it for skimmers and is more likely to have people read the review to see what score was given at the end. However, there are some problems with the update:

First, there are way too many options for reacting to a review. I don't think people care about the all the different types of reactions, they just want to express agreement or disagreement. We don't need five ways to say we liked a review. There should only be 3-4 reactions tops. Sometimes less is more.

Second, let's stop dancing around with "confusing" which people are just using as a disagreement button. Just put a dislike button there for people to express disagreement with a review.

Third, get rid of the generic emojis because it's pretty bland and corny. Hire a designer to make some custom emotes and give your site some more personality.

Like I said, there is potential here, but there needs to be some ironing out to make this a worthwhile change.

perseii said:
What does it mean now for a review to be "Most Voted", after the update? To me it looks like "the highest number of emoji's of ANY kind". If this is true, then I can't think of a use for this metric for readers. If anything, it makes finding useful reviews harder now.

As of now, the front page for the currently-airing "Call of the Night" has 2 reviews with a total of ~350 emoji's each, of which 150-200 are "Confusing" emoji's; one of them only has 29 "Nice" emoji's. Checking the review page, I see a review with 51 "Nice" and 0 "Confusing" emoji's in 4th place, because its total number of emoji's is only 53.

Supposing I take the emoji's at face value, and even ignore the possibility that readers are (mis)using "Funny" and "Confusing" as downvotes, I would not want to see confusing reviews above others that are better-received, just because more people read and reacted to the former.

This is why need a dislike button to push those reviews down because you're right that the "confusing" votes are still pushing those reviews up. They're trying to be too nice, just give us a dislike button and have those reviews be pushed down.
LoomyTheBrewAug 7, 2022 11:33 PM
Aug 7, 2022 11:57 PM

Apr 2019
All this seems very silly and unnecessary. Just the option "It's useful" and "It's not useful" would be good enough. And the "Not useful" would also serve to bring down revisions and stop the monopoly of some users.
Aug 8, 2022 2:17 AM

Feb 2021
So no Dislike button? It really will be helpful! Please add this function too!
MemoreAug 8, 2022 3:07 AM
Aug 8, 2022 6:18 AM

Aug 2021
It was time. Finally. yeaah!!
Aug 8, 2022 9:33 AM

Jul 2009
This update is a terrible change and should be reverted! At least make it, so the review scores are always shown! It's ridiculous that you hide it now!
Aug 8, 2022 12:23 PM

Nov 2014
That seems like a nice update. I haven't had a chance to write another review yet, so idk about that side, but summing up scores with a simple 3-levels thing is great and I considered suggesting it myself, tho I'd replace score entirely with that (on personal lists too while at it lol). One thing I'm missing is bringing back "not like" button... or like on this one game forum call it "respectfully disagree" or sth. It also seems rather useless to have so many options that mean the same thing in practice.

Alternatively to all of this, we could just have removed any kind of voting for reviews and add comment section under it. That'd be the healthiest system imo.

LoomyTheBrew said:
I think this has potential. I like there is a focus to stomp out clout reviewers and having recommended, mixed, and not recommended on the top of the review simplifies it for skimmers and is more likely to have people read the review to see what score was given at the end. However, there are some problems with the update:

First, there are way too many options for reacting to a review. I don't think people care about the all the different types of reactions, they just want to express agreement or disagreement. We don't need five ways to say we liked a review. There should only be 3-4 reactions tops. Sometimes less is more.

Second, let's stop dancing around with "confusing" which people are just using as a disagreement button. Just put a dislike button there for people to express disagreement with a review.

Third, get rid of the generic emojis because it's pretty bland and corny. Hire a designer to make some custom emotes and give your site some more personality.

Like I said, there is potential here, but there needs to be some ironing out to make this a worthwhile change.

perseii said:
What does it mean now for a review to be "Most Voted", after the update? To me it looks like "the highest number of emoji's of ANY kind". If this is true, then I can't think of a use for this metric for readers. If anything, it makes finding useful reviews harder now.

As of now, the front page for the currently-airing "Call of the Night" has 2 reviews with a total of ~350 emoji's each, of which 150-200 are "Confusing" emoji's; one of them only has 29 "Nice" emoji's. Checking the review page, I see a review with 51 "Nice" and 0 "Confusing" emoji's in 4th place, because its total number of emoji's is only 53.

Supposing I take the emoji's at face value, and even ignore the possibility that readers are (mis)using "Funny" and "Confusing" as downvotes, I would not want to see confusing reviews above others that are better-received, just because more people read and reacted to the former.

This is why need a dislike button to push those reviews down because you're right that the "confusing" votes are still pushing those reviews up. They're trying to be too nice, just give us a dislike button and have those reviews be pushed down.

Gotta agree with this.
JustAnotherShiroAug 8, 2022 12:35 PM
Aug 8, 2022 12:27 PM

Feb 2012
Satyr_icon said:
PKX said:

First off, look at the dates of the top 3 reviews. It's the day the 4th episode was released, when the review embargo is lifted. It was never that hard to get hundreds of votes on that day, especially in an extremely popular anime like Mushoku Tensei, because everyone is rushing to upvote whatever review reflects their views on the show to get them to the top. So that alone isn't really a proof of botting, and certainly isn't enough to call every top reviewer's integrity into question.
OFC those are not the reviews where anybody cares about botting: preliminary reviews get replaced anyway.
No, what do you see here is the state of the reviews AFTER they have settled, following the "Finished Airing" rat race (for popular anime like Mushoku Tensei this happens in a few hour). With the old system, these would have been the top reviews forever, barring any moderator removal. Now let's look on the current top reviews: several have appeared literally from nothing (they weren't even in the first page on the archived version) with a thousand upvotes. This shows they have at least a few hundreds accounts to "correct" every time they lose the rat race.

Satyr_icon said:
Second, who botted?
Literally almost every seasonal reviewer who ended in top 4 reviews since 2016. This is how a group of reviewers went from averaging 20 likes per review to consistently stealing the top spots in every seasonal anime they review and later replacing the OG legit reviewers on the (now defunct) Top Reviewers page.
Humans are suspicious and jealous creatures. When they see something perfect, they wanna find a flaw.

Ratohnhaketon said:
You have much to learn if you have not joined the witch hunt to down vote every anime that rises above our underrated favorites. I am currently on a campaign to get Training with Hinako into the top 12. Shit taste is hard to fight though, it's like trying to talk sense to an army of hallucinating loonies.
Ty-Ki said:
It's hilarious to see morons wasting more time with the series they hate so much than the fans of it.
Aug 8, 2022 5:52 PM

Jan 2018
Does someone know what anime is Archaeon reviewing in that picture???
Aug 8, 2022 6:09 PM

Apr 2018
abyss_will said:
Does someone know what anime is Archaeon reviewing in that picture???
Fate/Zero 2nd Season.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Aug 8, 2022 11:31 PM
Dec 2020
BankaiGoku said:
Well, I understand why the "total score" has been hidden and is only visible after pressing "read more", probably in order to prevent people suggesting from other users rating. But it won't change anything, because now people will be influenced by "like reactions". On the other hand, clicking "read more" to see the "total score" it's a bit annoying.

My greatest regret is that the "art, story, etc." rating category has been removed. They should stay and be more visible, e.g. at the top of review. Then the "total score" could stay at the bottom as it is now.

Below sample how it should look like with category's score and what I mean:

This guy has the right idea. The breakdown of the different parts of what you liked about the show were the single most useful part of a reviews at a glance and I am not going to be encourage by just the three of options that currently show unless you expand them. Just having the score at the top would give me a better idea if the "Do Not Recommend" is hate bombing or if they legitimately thought it was a 4 and it might be worth reading. At this point, I feel very comfortable in saying I have no desire to use the feature anymore because it's main benefit, saving me time, is gone for now.
Aug 8, 2022 11:34 PM

Jul 2021
I know its completely irrelevant and i know no one cares but i find emojis crınge. They lack .... idk, maturity? * sigh *
Aug 8, 2022 11:47 PM
Jan 2015
Holy fuck it looks horrendous now. Why do I have to click read more and scroll to the bottom, just to see the score they gave the show? That was the single most imporant thing about reviews to me...
Aug 9, 2022 12:00 AM
Jan 2019
All in all, I think the update would be fine if not for two major issues.
#1: I think it looks weird and less clean than the old design format.
And #2: Why in the world would you do away with clearly visible numeric values on reviews?
Years and years of numeric values between 1 and 10 for precise and satisfying personal ratings posted right at the top, only to be replaced with three vague verbal categories...?
What were you guys even thinking!?
Have you never heard the term "If it's not broken, don't fix it."?
Can't believe this is probably my first forum post too... -_-
Aug 9, 2022 12:21 AM

Feb 2021
ThirteenEleven said:
That seems like a nice update. I haven't had a chance to write another review yet, so idk about that side, but summing up scores with a simple 3-levels thing is great and I considered suggesting it myself, tho I'd replace score entirely with that (on personal lists too while at it lol). One thing I'm missing is bringing back "not like" button... or like on this one game forum call it "respectfully disagree" or sth. It also seems rather useless to have so many options that mean the same thing in practice.

Alternatively to all of this, we could just have removed any kind of voting for reviews and add comment section under it. That'd be the healthiest system imo.

LoomyTheBrew said:

Gotta agree with this.

Yes, negative opinions should be too and dislike buttons also, I agree.

Also, please return categories such as art, animation, plot, characters and other sections.
MemoreAug 9, 2022 1:55 AM
Aug 9, 2022 9:26 AM

Aug 2013
Ironic that only after a couple weeks of switching to another site that MAL would implement a horrendous site change.

"""review botting"""

Are you implying that any of you actually took the amount of people who rated a review "helpful" with anything more than a grain of salt since they removed the dislike feature like half a decade ago?

The score was there as a quick summary of what to generally expect of a review. 10 for a likely overly praiseful review, and a 7 to 8 likely a mid to alright decent show. Likewise, a 1 was likely by someone who has a log up their rear whose opinion is likely wrong/biased as opposed to a score of 4 of someone with likely justified critiques of the show. The fact that both of these respective examples get lumped under overall "recommend" and "dont recommend" is laughable.

To top off they added a generic Facebook tier "emoji react". Have you not seen that these cringy emoji ratings are almost never used anywhere they are implemented? I've never seen more than maybe 100 reactions in total on actual anime sites and the like, and almost always far less. The main internet with the few exceptions of more...slow types find these to be embarassing to use. Why you would ever consider this a good idea is beyond my understanding.

I'm just stunned at the sheer ridiculous of this. You would think for a community who has shown for example to absolutely love more detailed scoring like tier lists, which ever anituber under the sun has done with hundreds of thousands of view, you would have recognized that dumbing down scores into "Recommend", "Mixed", and "Don't Recommend" is probably bad, and too much simplifying.

The one solid point about MAL, even with its deteriment of being the strictest of what media to list (which has led to having to keep track of stuff that isnt officially released in some other manner), was the fact that I can go here and see strict number reviews, with the most amount of reviews of any list type site out there and be able to sort through the bias and pick up issues from people who rated the show as decent or below average, judge their points to see if I would likely have a issue with it, and then decide whether I would watch/read the story in question.

This change has made this far more annoying, forcing me to actually have to read more into each review to determine whether the individual reviewers are likely valid, or if they are annoying schizos with respective overpraise or overhate of the thing in question, thus wasting more of my time that I could have likely saved if you simply kept the summary score.

I hope reviewers just start making a point to put their personal score ratings at the top of their reviews from now on to easily circumvent this stupid change and save me and other review readers time and energy on what seems to be an indirect way to keep people on the site longer than necessary. Otherwise, I'm just going to be using the only good point in MALs favor, the reviews, far less often than before.
Isekai Expert (unironically).
8+ years of isekai experience and recommendations here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGmpQS73JGs
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM
Feb 2020
that star shit is annoying, i want to see if people give either a 10/10 or 1/10. then i read the review, also the emoji shit is cirnge
Aug 9, 2022 12:11 PM
Jan 2018
This new update looks horrible can we please just have the old system back the emoji's are cringe
Aug 9, 2022 2:37 PM

Apr 2013
This is the worst update I've seen in the 9+ years that I've been a member of this community.

Removing detailed scores (art, story etc.), hiding overall scores and stupidly reducing a review to an almost binary "recommended/not recommended" deprive reviews of most of their value. Instead of being able to see at a glance what people liked/disliked at an entry, then confront it with my own expectations/conclusions and maybe investigate further, I will now have to read through every one of them to extract the very information that has condescendingly been hidden from me. Without being able to disagree.

We don't need to be protected from genuine low scores or downvotes. This shouldn't be YouTube. Stop this nonsense, please.

Overall: 0/10
Quote if you've found this useful, stay quiet if you didn't.
Aug 9, 2022 3:10 PM
Mar 2014
We dont need a dislike button. Just like with youtube and other medias, we need positive input like upvotes/thumbs up/likes, etc. #goodvibes
Aug 9, 2022 4:13 PM

Mar 2014
Improvements
Yeah, if you call cancer in the form of a bad attempt at modern web design an improvement
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 9, 2022 4:41 PM
Superior

Apr 2008
The featured reviews on Spy X Family are all "Recommended" which means this system didn't fix a damn thing.
Aug 9, 2022 11:33 PM
Feb 2013
I've had this account on MAL for almost a decade, I have never bothered posting on the forums. Until now.
This update was so shit that I just had to post. It's ugly as fuck. What's the point of having only positive emojis anyway??
The old format was easier to read because the elements were separated better imo, and cohesive with the site's design. This yellow emoji thumbs-up is so out of place. Why can't I see the rating right away? Why can't I see how much of the show the user has watched (matters a lot if its ongoing)??
Highlighting recommended being so visible is unnecessary - I'd rather see if people found it helpful (as opposed to the ugly facebook thumbsup lmao) and I'd rather see the ACTUAL rating.
Aug 10, 2022 2:35 AM

Sep 2010
moozooh said:
1. A downvote (or whichever other designated alternative) will be abused. This is guaranteed, and you can see just by the example of this thread how many users are completely unable to voice their criticism in a constructive and polite manner. Allowing them to affect how a review they disagree with appears to other users is a great way to breed an echo chamber culture that incessantly downvotes any outliers. Furthermore, it would be trivial for a popular reviewer with a big enough horde of followers to weaponize it to their advantage without breaking any site rules per se, mods won't be able to do anything against that.

2. I don't feel this solves the issue of having actual bad reviews on the site per se, or giving users an ability to voice their criticism in any meaningful manner. To begin with, the need to downvote a review only arises when said review is stuck on top of ones that are more helpful. This can be solved much more efficiently. There should be no way for users to "cancel" a review simply because of opinion differences because, as I said earlier, it leads to an echo chamber and hurts diversity and representation of opinions.
An upvote (or whichever other designated alternative) was, is and will be abused. This is guaranteed, and you can see people right in this thread mentioning reviewers with their own armies of devoted fans. It is already created a real echo chamber, which is, BTW, an environment where no disagreement is present and possible since there is only one voice and others are just echoing it. There is already no diversity and representation of opinions.
moozooh said:
Please don't; this is a horrible, horrible idea that creates completely unneeded social anxiety for everyone susceptible to it, as well as a great potential source of social abuse.

A reviewer might not want to be able to see it because it would compel them to check who voted on their reviews and look for their friends' names there—because this information is now available to them. They might become upset at seeing their friends vote for a competing review with an opposite opinion. A reviewer's friends will also know their actions are visible and might feel more pressure due to the reviewer being able to tell whether or not they have voted on their or anyone else's review. If there's any sort of a designated criticism emoji reaction, many users will be afraid to press it because for them it would be akin to painting a target on themselves. I don't want any of this both as a reviewer myself and as a reader of others' reviews, and see no practical value in it whatsoever—only harm.

This helps no-one except mods for catching bot accounts. People have private anime lists, they should have a right to vote privacy all the same.
I know that many likes to joke that anime fans society consists of kids, teenagers and socially awkward people, and that is still true to an extent. But we already have quite strict rules to protect vulnerable people. Anything else is up to them - just how it could be. People, no matter the age, should learn how to interact with others - especially those close to them. Adapting to society is impossible without conflicts. Kids will always have disagreements about what they watch, and they either resolve this, or stop being friends - and either option is good. Don't treat them as snowflakes - those who actually that sensitive will break anyway, if not from disagreement over some stupid review, than from something else - that you quite probably can't even knew or let alone control. We have responsibility over those younger and weaker - but we can't and shouldn't be their mothers, let alone this much of a controlling mother. People who can't stand difference in opinions on something as trivial as Japanese cartoons are unfit to be friends, no matter the age. Win-win, as we used to say, or "I see it as absolute win", as they like to say nowadays.

Now, for the update itself: Look, MAL. You either want it to be deep and serious, like you supposedly want reviews to be treated - or quick and stupid, like those lazy smiley reactions on social media and chatting apps. For first, it's cool to have several tags that we can use for our reaction to a review - but only if we can choose several, not just one. For second, we need just emoticons, not some words trying to explain to us what every emoticon supposed to mean. So, remove either emoticons and give us ability for multiple choice - or remove text labels and see how the majority will react to it (hint: not nicely, as too many post on previous pages show).
There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Aug 10, 2022 7:16 AM
Jul 2021
BRING BACK THE RAW NUMERICAL SCORE, IT'S THE FAIREST SYSTEM!!!!!11

But that of course doesn't include downvotes, nono, downvotes are bad for *reasons*
Aug 10, 2022 7:21 AM
Jan 2018
the emojis look pretty stupid (though I like the increased diversity in feedback options, keep something like that around), it would be better to have 4 reviews shown instead of 3 reviews on the home page of an anime/manga, and it would be better to see the score instead of the recommended/mixed feelings/not recommended labels imo

most importantly though please bring back the list of however many episodes/chapters a reviewer has watched/read for ongoing series

I basically only read manga so it might not matter for anime which tend to have way less episodes, but it actually matters with manga where many long running series get worse with time and the older reviews are less relevant as a result
onetimeweebAug 10, 2022 8:04 AM
Aug 10, 2022 10:49 PM
Aug 2012
As in all site that don't allow downvotes, or thumbsdown, it seems pointless to have upvotes, or only positive votes. Having a review with 300 likes don't mean much if there was 500 who disliked it but not option to dislike. So I always ignore upvotes on reviews as they are meaningless.

I really dislike the "recommended" "not-recommended". I am looking for other anime sites now to go to to find reviews. There is a big difference between a 10 and a 7. I feel MAL want to give me the least amount of information possible.

Aug 10, 2022 11:17 PM
Oct 2018
New review system definitely requires some changes.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2036878&show=50#msg67139169

Simply put, it considers all types of reactions received by a review as "positive" and uses them to put odd reviews to the top. I and some other people were confused by the fact that the top 2 reviews of Yofukashi are just complaining about "pedophilia" which isn't even in the show. It took me a while to figure out the real reason.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/50346/Yofukashi_no_Uta

You see, the top two reviews have a bunch of "Confusing" reactions, which basically means that they didn't make much sense to people and "Funny", which can be interpreted as a review being considered nonsensical. Those two are, pretty much, the closest this site currently has for a downvote. Basically, the top two reviews are the most DOWNVOTED, but with the current system they get to the top as the most liked. Does it even make any sense? Out of the top reviews the first has only around 100 Likes, the second has only 50, while the third has 250. Basically right now reviews get to the top based on the number of reactions, it doesn't matter if they're positive or negative ones. That leads to controversial and straight offensive reviews getting to the top, is this really what people want?

Also, yeah. I think that most people would agree that we want to see the rating of the review before reading it fully. And, for most people me included, ratings like 5/10 or 6/10 mean "not recommend" or "mediocre at best".
MyOwnGodAug 10, 2022 11:23 PM
Aug 11, 2022 12:08 PM

Dec 2012
I'm beginning to fear that they won't do anything about it. This is really sad... most people don't want this change, maybe a few people at most. I've been following this topic from the beginning and it's downright clear that the review system needs to be changed. People here have a lot of cool ideas about what can be done about it, so why not listen to some of that advice?
Aug 11, 2022 1:58 PM
Aug 2022
We all need the ability to give feedback, whether we're on a website or a business-to-business platform such as Amazon. This is a must-read for anyone who wants to improve their online presence. Be aware of fake reviews and comments you might see on Amazon reviews and pages before giving them any credibility or sharing with friends. That way you won't have to deal with negative feedback on your page! There’s an easy way to find out whether you can dislike a review. If you don't like it, you won't be able to read it. If you go to Amazon to search for your favourite anime, you may discover that there are fake reviews about it. It’s no good to get rid of all your negative reviews. You should write some positive ones as well.Some reviews are bad. Some reviews are good. Sometimes a review is neutral.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

321 by General_Axe »»
2 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 12

114 by RyanOakes »»
3 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by badabass »»
Sep 17, 5:59 PM

» Join MAL's Moderator Team!

Kineta - Sep 12

0 by Kineta »»
Sep 12, 7:26 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by Chronowarp »»
Sep 10, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.